Feb 13, 2016, 5:34 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, February 13, 11 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
The Redskins week that was
A look at five of the most popular posts of the week here at Real Redskins and at CSNmidatlantic.com:
Why haven’t the Redskins released RG3? —Some have complained that this post was unnecessary but when I get a question asked over and over again in the comments and on social media, I figure it’s best to write a post to flesh it out and send people to that. Over 100,000 people have read it so obviously there are plenty of people still wondering and/or interested in the topic.
Despite 2015 success, Vegas not high on 2016 Redskins—Those of you who like it when the Redskins are underdogs and under the radar should be happy this offseason. The Super Bowl odds discussed in this post come from Bovada.lv and they have the Redskins with worse odds than every other team in the NFC East. I think that a healthy Romo (not a sure thing for 16 games) will help Dallas but I find it hard to see the Eagles and Giants, both with rookie head coaches among other issues, as favorites over a fairly stable Redskins team.
Who has the best chance of being the Redskins’ first pick?—Interest in the draft is high even though we are still almost two weeks away from the NFL Combine, which is more than two months before the draft. I can see the Redskins going to just about any position in the first round with the exception of quarterback, tight end, and offensive tackle. There would have to be a real steal at some positions like outside linebacker but it’s possible.
Jarrett: ‘He’s a mature guy for a rookie’—Kyshoen Jarrett was one of the most pleasant draft surprises in years. He was expected to play some special teams and fill in at safety here and there. But he became a Swiss Army knife, playing 616 snaps nickel corner, corner, and safety. If you can find one or two of those a year is the difference between good drafts and excellent drafts.
Will McCloughan try to build the Redskins’ defense through free agency?—I got an interesting question from a reader on Scot McCloughan’s plans for free agency. Last year he tried to build up the defense through some signings and they experienced mixed results. Will he give it another go and bring in veterans to bolster a defense that ranked 28th in yards allowed and in the bottom third in many other statistical categories? Or will he want to add some draft picks to the mix and have Joe Barry and company focus on developing them and some of the young talent already on the roster? A mix of both is likely but I suspect it will be more of the latter than the former.
—The Redskins last played a game 34 days ago. It will be about 211 days until they play another one.
—About 166 days until fullbacks and safeties report to Richmond.
—Days until: NFL Combine 11; NFL free agency starts 25; 2016 NFL draft 75
In case you missed it
- Report: Redskins can release RG3
- Do the Redskins need to find new returners in 2016?
- Could Matt Forte be a fit for the Ravens or Redskins?
- Bryce Harper: ‘I’m a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year’
- Have the Redskins found the answer at right tackle?
- For Redskins and Cousins no news is good news
Follow Us On Twitter
- After quiet day in Detroit, Redskins Pierre Garçon says 'we always try to go deep'
- Vernon Davis tells 60 minutes about investment that burned dozens of NFL players
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit
- Jay Gruden says Redskins defense should have been more aggressive in final series
- Five observations from the Redskins' loss to the Lions
- VIDEO: Trent Williams walks gingerly while helped to locker room after injury
- Redskins take late lead on Cousins TD, give up late lead on Boldin TD
- Josh Norman leaves game with concussion
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play