Redskins going defense first in many mock drafts

Feb 9, 2016, 11:55 AM EDT

With the entire 2015 season now in the rearview mirror the mock draft industry is cranking into full gear. Let’s take a look around at some of the more popular mocks that have been posted lately and see who they have the Redskins taking.

Rob Rang, CBS SportsReggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama

General manager Scot McCloughan might see Ragland as able to provide an immediate impact similar to the one Patrick Willis made when Washington’s top scout was heading up the 49ers front office.

The Redskins are adequately set at inside linebacker with Will Compton and, if he re-signs, Mason Foster. But Ragland could be the kind of difference making player that the defense needs to move from mediocre to Super Bowl caliber. He’s a smart player who tackles well and has good instincts. Right now, early in the process, he has to be considered one of the favorites to be the Redskins first-round picks.

Dan Brugler, CBS SportsMackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

The Redskins have had good luck drafting cornerbacks out of Clemson (Bashaud Breeland) and if Alexander falls to No. 21, I don’t think he’ll be around at pick No. 22.

While the Redskins could well go with a cornerback in the first round I would be very surprised if Alexander got the call. McCloughan is looking for bigger, longer cornerbacks and Clemson has Alexander listed at 5-10 and his measurement at the combine later this month could come up shorter than that. And Bruce Allen drafted Breeland and while he’s worked out pretty well I don’t see McCloughan feeling any compulsion to go back to the Clemson well again.

Note: Mel Kiper of ESPN (article behind pay wall) and Chad Reuter and Bucky Brooks of also have the Redskins picking Alexander. Reuter also explains the pick with the Breeland-Clemson connection.

Lance Zierlein, NFL.comJaran Reed, DT, Alabama

While Reed won’t offer much as a pass rusher, he is an elite run defender with tremendous power and hand usage.

A different Alabama defender headed the Redskins way per Zierlein. I don’t quite get this one. The Redskins certainly could use some help stopping the run but you can find D-linemen who can do that later in the draft. If you’re going to spend a first rounder on a 3-4 DE he doesn’t have to be J. J. Watt but I think he should bring you something as a pass rusher.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.comSheldon Rankins, DE, Louisville

Rankins is a disruptive interior defender and he would complement the edge rushers in Washington.

At 6-1 he might be a bit shorter than McCloughan would prefer. But he is strong, powerfully built and does bring some pass rush. I think he’s probably a long shot for the Redskins at No. 21 but he’s worth keeping an eye on.

Chris Burke, SI.comJosh Doctson, WR, TCU

Washington can take its pick between Doctson and Ohio State’s Michael Thomas for the “big” receiver it needs—Doctson stands 6’3”, 195. His height, hands, leaping ability and body control combine in a highlight-reel package.

Yes, I know most fans are on the “build the defense” bandwagon. But Kirk Cousins needs receivers to throw to and both DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garçon are turning 30 this year and are in the last season of their contracts. There is not adequate depth behind them. Given that most receivers take a year to catch on to the NFL the Redskins would be wise to get started on a succession plan now.

1. troylok - Feb 9, 2016 at 12:19 PM

My money would be on Ragland or a trade down. There’s not a center or safety worth taking at that spot, so they could trade down.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM

I’m not sure if Ragland is an ideal fit unless you want to switch the defense to a 4-3. He’s a great against the run but playing the middle in a 3-4 is going to be a learning experience for him. He’s not NFL fast and he looks to have little experience working in coverage.

• DARREN - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:31 PM

We play more 4-3 than 3-4

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 4:42 PM

• bangkokben - Feb 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Four down linemen but not with three linebackers. When we have four down linemen we’re usually in nickle (five defensive backs) and sometimes in dime (six defensive backs).

• Darren - Feb 9, 2016 at 9:35 PM

No not wrongggg! You better go watch tape there pal

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 10, 2016 at 8:30 AM

“I’m a 3-4 guy,” Barry told Larry Michael, Voice of the Redskins, on Tuesday’s episode of Redskins Nation. “I think the great thing about the 3-4 – you can disguise a bunch of things. You can give the illusion that you’re in 3-4 and play 4-3 and vice versa. I think it gives you many, many options, and that’s the thing that I’m excited about.”

Apparently Barry fooled you as well. The base defense is a 3-4 under with elements of a 4-3. You have it backwards. You either obviously didn’t observe every snap on defense or can’t see the difference.

Also as Bang was trying to point out; you may be mixing up formations like the nickel 4-2-5 in passing situations with the 4-3 as well.

• babyteal1 - Feb 9, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Hate to prove you wrong ace but Ragland is what we need at 21. A playmaker.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Well you didn’t prove me wrong! Reggie is a very hard hitting run stuffing linebacker. 4 sacks, 1 interception, and 4 forced fumbles in 4 years of college football doesn’t qualify as a playmaker. Semantics man, come on!

• Darren - Feb 9, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Wow he doesnt understand

2. thinmints11 - Feb 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM

Rich – Doctson went to TCU**

Hope we go and grab Ragland… dude is going to be a force in the coming years. Also wouldn’t mind a quality CB if available, Alexander seems to be more of a project since he had a late season ACL tear?

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:18 AM

Yeah Rich, I think you’re great, but TCU/Baylor is maybe the most heated rivalry in Texas right now. You have to correct that.

As a Baylor alumni, it would hurt to root for Doctson at first. But the guy is phenomenal. I’m sure I would get over it quick. We desperately need height and youth (at the #1 and #2 position) in our WR corps. I want a defensive linemen or ILB with the first pick, but I would be happy with Doctson.

Speaking of Baylor and WRs. I think Jay Lee would be an interesting pick if he’s still around in the 4th or especially the 5th round. I’m not trying to peddle Baylor players on you guys, I just know them better than most teams. Lee is 6’3, he has the length we need. He needs to put on some weight, but so does Doctson. They will both put it on. Lee is more of a possession receiver right now, if you watch his tape he won’t dazzle you. But wouldn’t it be nice to have another long guy to get first downs besides Reed? And a redzone target? Anyway, he made some waves in the senior bowl so he’s not as under the radar as he was before. But he could be a rookie contributor, in a limited capacity, for pretty cheap.

3. scottmccloughanfan - Feb 9, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Can’t argue with the WR comment here.

Can’t argue with a center for that matter.

Can’t argue with the defensive need to stop the run either, DT like REED, or a DE like OAKMAN or both.

Can’t argue with a LB.

Can’t argue with a S.

But I’m not sure CB is a dire need at this point.

My point being, we need impact players all over the team, but limited draft picks to satisfy the need.

And limited funds to employ impactful FA’s.

Still digging out of those cap limitations, and the disaster that became RGIII.

Those effects are going to linger I fear.

• thinmints11 - Feb 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM

I only say this because I don’t trust Culliver (health) nor do I trust any of the plug-in guys we grabbed throughout the season last year to help long-term. Breeland is good, but I think he isn’t the best option to frequently cover a team’s #1… obviously has had success against Dez but has struggled vs. OBJ and others. Alexander is a top 10 pick this year if he hadn’t gotten hurt (imo).

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Think KYSHOEN JARRETT can become a viable oprion at CB provided we pick up a SS.

Looks like we’ll either sign a new FA

• sidepull - Feb 9, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Not just Rg3 aftereffects but Mara put a hurt on the Redskins as well. Its been a long road trying to get this ship moving in the right direction.

• rcjur - Feb 9, 2016 at 7:20 PM

No….this team needs. QB, RB, DT and WR before anything else. Get studs there and we’re going places but this team staring next season is wishing and dreaming if they think they going places with a qb name Kirk Cousins.

• goback2rfk - Feb 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Denver Broncos proved that you can win a Superbowl with subpar QB play. Kirk Cousins would have won the SuperBowL if he was the Broncos QB. Trent Dilfer is another example. Cousins can win a SuperBowL with the right players around him and a Denver Broncos defense.
        Gotta get this defense right. Defense wins championships.

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:29 AM

@ gobacktiRFK: You’re really going to pull the Trent Dilfer defense here? The guy who won the super bowl then was cut almost 20 years ago? RC’s comment didn’t even deserve a respons; it’s complete nonsense. But let’s not bring Trent Dilfer into this. You’re taking about a couple outliers, not the standard. Cousins has to play well for this team to win. And he will if he just keeps doing what he’s doing. He will continue to improve and be a very is QB over the next couple seasons. If he doesn’t, we will find someone else to do it. But we’re not winning a Super Bowl with a guy like Trent Dilfer

• rcjur - Feb 10, 2016 at 6:36 AM

Cousins sucks!

• jonevans511 - Feb 10, 2016 at 1:49 PM

@ Trey- He didn’t even need to use Dilfer as the example because there are plenty others. Eli is not elite despite the homers who will try and convince you otherwise, but he made (huge) plays when his team needed it and was surrounded by a fantastic defense (or at least D-line) that wreaked havoc during both of their SB runs. If you don’t think Cousins can manage games and make a big play or two when it counts, you haven’t been watching the same games as the rest of us. I’m not saying he’s going to be an elite level QB, but the fact of the matter is you need to have a stout defense in order to succeed consistently. Just ask Aaron Rodgers how it felt to have weapons on offense only to get SHREDDED by a sub-par QB named Colin Kaepernick in the NFC Championship a few years back. San Fran’s D that year carried them, and then the super average Kaep made some big plays at key times to carry them in to the Super Bowl.

And who did the Niners lose to in the Super Bowl that year? The Ravens, led by perfectly adequate but certainly not elite Joe Flacco. He’s got a big arm but struggles with accuracy and gets flustered when faced with pressure. Guess what though? He got hot at the right time, had a decent to good run game to help disguise offensive formations/keep the D honest, and had a solid defensive unit that kept the opposing offense off the field with a ton of takeaways. Let’s also not forget the special teams unit led by Jacoby Jones helped immensely, but I digress.

If you REALLY don’t like Cousins or think he can help us get to where we want to go, that’s fine. You cannot, however, ignore the fact that there are several examples in both recent and long time ago seasons where a mediocre to “good’ QB made enough plays to help his team win. The defense is paramount and the Denver Broncos this year are not the only example. People must have forgotten how raw Russell Wilson was the year they won it all. Did he make big time plays at the right times? Absolutely. Did he benefit from an all-time great defensive unit that created at least one turnover every game? He sure did, and he’d be the first to tell you he benefited greatly from the strength of their defense.

• goback2rfk - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM

That is a great post. Well done.

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Oooook. My goodness guys. You’re either not reading what I’m saying or you’re just putting words into my mouth to make your point. Because I never said you have to have an elite QB to win a Super Bowl and I certainly never said Cousins isn’t good enough. I like Cousins, I think he had a great season and I’m excited to see what he can do in the future. I’m not an anti-Cousins guy. I was responding to GoBackToRFK for replying to a moronic post with the Trent Dilfer argument. Trent Dilfer is irrelevant, and the argument is old and overused. That was my only point. It was a different NFL and I personally don’t think Dilfer was all that horrible. But that last part is kind of off subject.

To the elite QB thing, I agree. But I have expressed that I think you need a QB to win in other comment sections on other days. There’s a balance. Of course there are outliers and exceptions. But generally speaking, the team’s who are perineal playoff teams have a good QB; a franchise QB. I didn’t say elite, but they have stability at the position. We all have different definitions of elite or good or what a franchise QB is, and we all have different opinions on who is and isn’t any good. No, Eli probably isn’t elite. But he is very good. You’re just kidding yourself if you don’t think so. Kap was a bad example. Because he’s bad right now but in 2012 he was far from mediocre. Kap was playing at a very high level in 2012. Flacco is similar to Eli. Not elite but definitely good. He’s a franchise QB. Russell Wilson, same thing. I think Wilson has been very overrated the past couple years because the Seahawks didn’t win with him arm. But he was a stable presence who led the team, took care of the ball, and made plays when he had to. I think he took a step forward in 2015 though and is playing like a top passer. Go look at the past 10 Super Bowls, something that is more relevant with the recent rule changes. How many Trent Dilfers even gotta the game? It’s just a pointless conversation because you can’t have a bad QB and win, everyone knows that. At the very least you need a stable guy who does a decent job. If you didn’t believe that the. You would be perfectly content with McCloughan letting Cousins loose and taking and undrafted free agent QB to be our QB while he built the ultimate team around the nobody QB.

Now, I’ve been saying all year that teams like Greenbay and Indy are great examples of why a great QB isnt enough, you have to build a team around him. But there are other examples of teams built very solid, but who didn’t have a QB, and they didn’t do well. Like Buffalo in 2014.

I do not think it’s wise for the plan to be to assemble an all time great defense to win a championship. There’s been like…. 5 or 6 of them. The Iron Curtain, 85 Bears, 2000/2001 Ravens, 2013/2014 Seahawks and this year’s Broncos… I guess you can throw Tampa’s Super Bowl in there too. You really want to bet that we will accomplish that? And basically all of those teams except the Ravens HAD a franchise QB. So, I’m all for building a strong team from the inside out (meaning start with strong lines). But my point is that you have a much better chance of winning with a good/great QB than you do without one. I also think Cousins is good enough to be that guy.

Goodness. All this from me saying that the Trent Dilfer argument isn’t really strong.

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:23 AM

I wish you would trust me about Oakman. He’s really not worth making all this fuss about in every comment section. I won’t be upset if we take him anytime after the 3rd, but he doesn’t deserve to go before that and he will be a long term project either way. I also don’t think he’s a 3-4 DE. I would be interested to know why you’re so convinced that he is.

4. wildbill1952 - Feb 9, 2016 at 12:44 PM

There are always choices on defense when it comes to inhibiting the pass (because you will never be able to completely stop it). You either increase the effectiveness of your pass rush, by getting better guys up front, or you get better coverage in the secondary by getting really good cornerbacks and to a lesser extent, safeties. In the NFC East, you see the Odell Beckhams and the Dez Bryants and you need good coverage guys to protect against them. Breeland is the best we have currently. We need another guy in coverage with youth. That showed last year when they converted a wide receiver to fill the position. Unless you can get one in FA that you know has skills, then go for the younger legs.

5. redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 1:38 PM

At 21st in the draft probably everyone one of those Mocks collectively bat less then .200 getting the right player. So I fully expect none of the above.

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 9, 2016 at 2:06 PM

100% agree.

That’s why I mock loud and long myself.

May as well be as wrong as the next guy!!!!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 2:51 PM

I’ve only done NFL Mock Drafts about 4 times. The one player I got right (Phillip Thomas) I regret to this day. I guess you can say even when I got it right, I still got it wrong. As a result, I just watch the combine and wait for the draft.

• babyteal1 - Feb 10, 2016 at 8:14 AM

That’s why you know nothing.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 10, 2016 at 8:53 AM

babyteal1, you are just a pedestrian on football knowledge. There are too many moving parts on the field for you to comprehend what you are seeing. I’ve still yet to see you provide any real knowledge. You can’t even apply terms like “playmaker” properly. Yet come on here calling other fans stupid with no insight to validate those remarks. You couldn’t carry a conversation with me on the details of the game even if you have Google in front of you. I’d spend most my time correcting your errors to even have a conversation of any substance on the game.

• bangkokben - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Exactly. Way to early to tell. Every mock at this time had us taking defense at this point last year. I believe Randy Gregory was a popular projection. There is still the combine and the beginning of free agency to adjust the mocks. As for the mocks that get it right, most dart players can hit a bull’s eye if you give them ten throws. Yet, I can’t find a final mock (I’m sure there’s one out there) that correctly predicted we would take Brandon Scherff #5 overall.

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM

I knew o-line was a priority last year, but never thought it would be THE priority!

Sure hope we finish the job by getting a high pick center and a low pick guard.

You can have all the skill you could want or need, but line play is where it’s at in football.

• John - Feb 9, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Gregory was rated high in most mocks, then dropped. DrFtrd by Dallas in round 2. Not a single sack during the season.

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:32 AM

There were 100 mock drafts that had us taking Scherff. I was screaming at everyone who would listen that the mocks were wrong and we wouldn’t take Scherff at 5 (woops).

Early on, it was Shane Ray and Randy Gregory. After a while, a ton of them shifted to Scherff.

• bangkokben - Feb 10, 2016 at 7:30 AM

Show me a FINAL mock. That is my point though. Between now and then some mocks might get it right and then change it. At 21 it is very unlikely that they get it right at all. But yes, there were some mocks that had the right pick during the process. I, too, had it wrong at the time.

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:36 AM

Here you go. I googled “Redskins mock draft Scherff” and it was the 5th result. There’s one.

6. skinsdiehard - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:13 PM

I think good DL and ILB’s can be found in 2nd round. Culliver WILL NOT be ready for opening day. So, they should go for a CB and take Eli Apple in round 1.

ILB is not as pressing as the D-Line and secondary. ILB’s are also cheaper in free agency than good corners. ILB options on the roster are good enough: Foster, Compton, Spaight, Plummer, Riley and Bishop.

Rd 1 – CB Eli Apple
    Rd 2 – DE Adolphus Washington or Carl Nassib
    Rd 3 – FS Tyvis Powell or Vonn Bell

First three picks should be defense regardless of what is done in free agency.

Rd 4 – WR or RB.

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:36 PM

I like SHAWN OAKMAN in the third myself. Just a hunch, he’s gonna’ develop into another “Mad Stork” like a Raider from another generation.

6′ 8″ 270 DE

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 9, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Eli Apple has good size and potential, but is raw. Not sure he’s good value at 21.

I expect McGlue will lean more on BPA then filling holes with top pick(s).

(I don’t disagree with what has been written here before, most teams do not go strictly BPA…except Detroit, maybe. )

• bangkokben - Feb 9, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Plummer is not on the team. Bishop is on a futures contract which is the NFL equivalent of a McDonald’s monopoly game piece – you know you’re not going to win $1,000,000 but you might get a free quarter pounder with cheese – so I’m not counting him. Your overall point is probably correct.

7. wvredskins - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Josh Doctson is a game changer, so I would be satisfied with him. Just watch his highlights here He is the type of player that would be an immediate impact. I know we have other needs and our defense out weighs our offensive needs but if your gonna take the best player available approach then you can not go wrong with Doctson.

• rcjur - Feb 9, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Could not agree more. Skins should go with their top 3 picks.

DT Sheldon Rankins
      WR Josh Doctson
      CB Harlan Miller

Trying to help you out GM with playmakers and need for team! Rankins if still there at 21 would be a steal. Doctson you can plug in right away, big young WR, and you can rid Garçon of trade him.
      Miller can eventually be starting opposite Breeland. Get this kid!

8. robert herrera - Feb 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Two receivers that would be in the mid rounds are Rashard Higgins and Pharoah cooper. These guys are sleepers but can contribute to the Redskins receiving corps.

9. babyteal1 - Feb 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM

See Rich… I knew you wanted the ILB position filled with a play maker.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Reporting on rarely correct Mock Drafts is not an indication of a support.

10. James McFullan - Feb 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM

If we go after an ILB with the 21st pick, I hope it is Jaylon Smith (praying that he falls to us) even though it probably won’t happen. Although I feel like the biggest need is DLine and hopefully they go after Jarran Reed, Kenny Clark, Sheldon Rankins, or Robert Nkemdiche to build on the DLine, they can fix DLine this year and ILB next year. Unless an absolute playmaker like Jaylon Smith falls to 21 and I say pull the trigger on that. They could then go with Nick Martin in the 2nd or 3rd so that way they can get a big center to help in the power run game. Then if the Redskins want a big receiver, they could go with Boyd or Doctson if they view that position as a high priority. Alshon Jeffery is also going to be a free agent (assuming Chicago doesn’t work out a long term deal or franchise him) so the Redskins could go after him, if McCloughan feels like spending the money it would take to get him.

• princewilks - Feb 9, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Jaylon Smith is coming off a major injury, I wouldn’t be surprised if he falls to the mid-late 1st.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM

I agree and I would not want to invest a 1st pick on someone coming of both ACL and MCL injuries. That’s going to slow his development in the initial years.

• Monty byers - Feb 9, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Your crazy! They say this guy is best player in draft! And they say he’s on track to be ready for beginning of season.

• James McFullan - Feb 9, 2016 at 6:12 PM

You could’ve made that argument fir AP or Von Miller, but those two have done very well after their knee injuries. Plus he said the doctors told him he would be 100 percent healthy for the start of the season. He is a tough, instinctive, smart, fast, talented football player who understands the game, I think he is the best ILB in the draft since Luke Kuechly.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 9, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Von Miller had 3 years in the NFL before he had the injury. It was also just the ACL. You want to invest the very 1st pick on a player who may not see the field until 2017? These types of injuries could take up to two years for a complete recovery. So you get no combine, OTA, TC, or 2016 Season. I don’t think Jaylon Smith has that much of a separation from other players that might be available to make that type of commitment. This is a luxury for teams already with a strong roster not ones seeking a strong roster.

You do have Todd Gurley to support your stance but I don’t think Scot will take him in the 1st. If he is in the 2nd round then it deems a real possibility since the guy was a projected top 10 once. However, I don’t think he’ll fall that far out of the 1st for players that can afford to invest in him.

11. Lex - Feb 9, 2016 at 5:47 PM

If Nkimdiche drops id grab him

• James McFullan - Feb 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM

I’d like for the Redskins to get Nkemdiche, but I saw a mock draft that predicted that the Redskins get him in the second round, although the chance of that happening is like 0.00001% chance, but if it happened I wouldn’t complain. Then get Nick Martin in the third round if he is still available for the Redskins taking. At 6-4 and over 300 pounds, he would be a fit in the power run game the Redskins want. He is young and has a lot of upside with the potential to be a Redskins center for the next several years.

12. James McFullan - Feb 9, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Scot McCloughan doesn’t value the draft like other scouts do, he watches film of the player and makes his decision based on that. Scot McCloughan said “I don’t want the fastest, the strongest, the prettiest player, I want a football player.” That is what Jaylon Smith is, he is a football player, he should rebound just fine from the injury. When you watch Jaylon Smith’s film, you see a technical, sound guy who plays with passion and loves the game that he plays.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 9, 2016 at 10:58 PM

It’s also what Andrew Billings is (a football player, that is…he’d be an NT for us, not an LB).

Jaylon Smith would be a lock for top 4 pick without the knee injuries. I bet he still goes before our 21st.

• Trey Gregory - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:41 AM

I would lose my mind if we drafted Billings. The guy is the real deal. Talk about McCloughan’s kind of guy. Naturally strong blue collar kind of guy. Leader. Just nasty in the field. Was often the best player on the field but let other guys take the spot light.

I would be surprised if Billings falls to 21, but I’ll be crushed if he falls to 22.

13. Monkey - Feb 9, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Rd1 Austin Johnson playmaking nt
    Rd2 Scooby Wright bloodhound lb
    Rd3 joshua Garnett rd graden guard

14. Jax4 - Feb 9, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Like the “need” picks, but if Elliot is there at 21, you cannot pass him up. A potential stub RB in the making. The guy can play all 3 downs, and that would leave Jones as the change of pace back.

15. Lex - Feb 9, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Victor Ochi sleeper pass rusher in later rounds

16. James McFullan - Feb 10, 2016 at 2:51 AM

If the Redskins could get 2-4 of these people in the draft I would be very happy. Billings, Jaylon Smith, Robert Nkemdiche, Josh Doctson, Nick Martin, or Tyler Boyd

17. renhoekk2 - Feb 10, 2016 at 11:17 AM

SEA, NE, CAR all got to, and in some cases won the Super Bowl with average WR play. They got there because of defense. In contrast look at teams like Dallas, Detroit, NYG, who all have star WRs. They put up great numbers every year but as a team they don’t go anywhere. Has Megatron led DET anywhere? Beckham and Bryant lead their teams anywhere? They could sign some proven FA WR for less than the $10M a year they are paying Garcon and Jackson each. Obviously if they don’t do that they need to keep them both. There are players like Marvin Jones, Reuben Randle, Travis Benjamin, that are productive NFL WR and should be able to be signed for less than $10M/yr.

18. smotion55 - Feb 11, 2016 at 2:38 PM

D-Line Most important early would be mine. Rankins, or Butler, even Clark. Hopefully we trade back and highest pick after that for D-Line, WR and or DE in the 2ND or 3RD. After that BPA . My order would be the best DE, RB, then WR unless somebody rated really high as an edge rusher is still there in the 3rd, start looking for a Center 4th, and best available for S, CB , , ILB , TE, OLB I think Left Guard will be fine and will work itself out . their should be a Safety and a CB later in the draft it is deep this year. GM always finds these guys in the later rounds. I am sure the GM will fill a couple of holes in free agency and all this will change but it is fun to have all the picks + 1 already to work with and all our money too. Archives