Feb 6, 2016, 5:08 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, February 6, 18 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
A look back at the Redskins week that was
Why is it highly unlikely that the Redskins will trade RG3?—It looked like a lot of Redskins fans were engaged in some highly wishful thinking so I thought it was a good idea to lay out the facts on the topic. Click for the details if you’d like but the bottom line is that the only realistic outcome here is Griffin getting released.
Five free agents the Redskins will not sign—Scot McCloughan said that the Redskins will not be big players in free agency. The list of players they won’t even try to sign is long and Scot McCloughan’s list of players he wants to sign is short. But the Redskins are going to sign a few players to fill a few holes so speculation won’t be pointless.
Report: Redskins sign DL Ziggy Hood—The Redskins got a jump start on free agency by signing the former Steelers first-round pick during the week. They were able to sign him because he was not on a team’s roster at the end of the season. His contract has no guaranteed money and he will have to compete for a roster spot. It could come down to Hood and Cory Crawford, who spent 2015 on the practice squad, for the last roster spot.
Five things the Redskins need to do before free agency starts—There is a lot of work to do before they start signing players—time in the film room, a trip to the combine, trying to avoid making a franchise tag for Kirk Cousins necessary, and more. After a January breather that lasted a few weeks they are back at it in a grind that will go on through June. Then it’s a couple of weeks off before the start of training camp.
Will Hatcher return or retire?—I don’t have a good feel for what will happen here. Right after the Packers game McCloughan told Hatcher that he would be welcome to return. The GM reiterated the statement at the Senior Bowl. And while he played better than his sack numbers indicate it’s hard to see Hatcher back at a cap number well north of $8 million. Will he retire? Come back at a lower salary? Get cut? We will see.
—The Redskins last played a game 27 days ago. It will be about 218 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 18; NFL free agency starts 32; 2016 NFL draft 82
In case you missed it
- Will Cousins’ deal be a cap killer?
- Who will start at inside linebacker for the Redskins in 2016?
- Only a handful of starters will be left from 2012 Redskins team
- Kirk Cousins fills in the blank on The Players’ Tribune
- Prediction Time: CSN experts make their Super Bowl picks
- Kubiak: Manning ‘as good as he’s looked all year’
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds