Feb 5, 2016, 5:17 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, February 5, 19 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
Five thoughts on the Redskins with free agency a month away
—Although it wasn’t particularly surprising, it was noteworthy that we got the first words uttered by a Redskins official saying that Robert Griffin III and Alfred Morris are likely to be gone in 2016. Actually, Griffin is certain to be gone and Allen predicted that he will get a chance to succeed elsewhere. Allen didn’t close the door on a Morris return but they aren’t going to offer him a contract before free agency starts and they will applaud if he goes elsewhere. The 2012 season was a long, long time ago.
—I don’t get the feeling that Scot McCloughan and Joe Barry are as hopped up to bring in a stud inside linebacker as some fans and media members are. I think they would be perfectly content to bring back Mason Foster, start him alongside Will Compton, possibly cut Perry and save his $4 million salary, and go with Martrell Spaight and perhaps a relatively cheap veteran. If the right guy is there early in the draft I think they would take him but it’s not on their “gotta have” list.
—If Riley does end up leaving there will be five players who started 10 or more games in 2012 who are under contract for this year—Pierre Garçon, Trent Williams, Kory Lichtensteiger, Ryan Kerrigan, and DeAngelo Hall. Lichtensteiger is no sure bet to be on the team in 2016 so there could be just four starters left. In addition, Logan Paulsen, who started 10 games, is slated to be a free agent and may or may not be back.
—In a post on Kirk Cousins yesterday I look a bit at the lack of depth at wide receiver. Andre Roberts is sure to be cut and Ryan Grant played 425 snaps and he caught just 21 passes and dropped four. Rashad Ross is fast but he needs to learn how to play receiver. And let’s not forget that DeSean Jackson and Garçon both turn 30 this year. The situation could get ugly quickly. I get the need to bolster the defense but if there is a quality receiver on the board in any round, including the first, McCloughan will seriously consider taking him.
—In my post here yesterday I did not list Duke Ihenacho when I was sketching out a possible safety depth chart for 2016. I didn’t include him for a few reasons, the primary one being his problems staying healthy. He’s been on the Redskins’ payroll for two years but he’s been on the field for just four games. He’s a restricted free agent and it’s not certain that they will offer him an RFA tender, which would be a one-year contract worth about $1.6 million. That’s probably more than they want to pay him. If they don’t tender him, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. On the positive side, he did compete for and win a starting safety job last year. So he does have a shot at returning and contributing.
—The Redskins last played a game 26 days ago. It will be about 219 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 19; NFL free agency starts 33; 2016 NFL draft 83
In case you missed it
- Will Cousins improve in 2016?
- Redskins President Bruce Allen discusses Robert Griffin III’s future
- Former Redskins K Gano hopes to deliver winning field goal in Super Bowl
- Hipster Draymond Green believed in Kirk Cousins before it was cool
- PropBetPalooza – Cam, Peyton and Lady Gaga
- Broncos in no hurry to hear Manning’s future plans but should they be?
- What Redskins needs will be hardest to fill?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Browns Preview: 5 things to know as Washington looks to get even
- Enemy Intel: Tandler looks around the NFL—What's up with Dez?
- More talk of Redskins OC Sean McVay as head coach - but this time on college level
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure to perform against the Browns
- Redskins' Josh Norman elected alternate NFLPA rep weeks after criticizing union
- Josh Norman fined for rough play against Giants
- Cravens declared NFL Clutch Performer of the Week
- Despite focus on Terrelle Pryor, Redskins need to stop Browns run game
- Redskins-Browns injury report: Doctson, two starters out for Washington
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith