Need to Know: What Redskins needs will be hardest to fill?

Feb 4, 2016, 5:08 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, February 4, 20 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Question of the day

It’s one thing to recognize a personnel need on an NFL. It’s quite another to be able to fill it. There are many situations where the demand for players at a particular position exceeds the supply. As anyone who took Econ 101 knows, this drives up the price in terms of either free agent dollars or high-round draft picks.

There are a few different areas where supply and demand will hamper Scot McCloughan’s efforts to rebuild the Redskins. I touched on one of them earlier this week in discussing the Redskins’ tight end situation. They are fine in the pass catching department with Jordan Reed and Niles Paul. But they could use a blocking tight end. Problem is, colleges just aren’t producing them like they used. Spread offenses don’t use blocking tight ends, preferring to go with four and five wide receivers. NFL teams that have tight ends who can block and catch don’t let them go.

Look for Tom Compton to continue reporting as an eligible receiver.

Another area that will be hard to fill is safety. The Redskins can get by for now with Dashon Goldson (although he might need to adjust his $8 million salary), DeAngelo Hall, Kyshoen Jarrett, and Jeron Johnson. But you can bet that McCloughan will keep an eye out for safeties on the draft board and if a good one drops in the middle rounds, maybe even the second, he won’t hesitate to grab him so he has someone for when Goldson and Hall are gone. The better college defensive backs are playing cornerback, because defenses need more of them to cover spread attacks and the corner position pays better in the NFL.

Also hard to fill is nose tackle. There is a lot of talk that the Redskins won’t e-sign Terrance Knighton and that will leave a large hole in the middle of the defense, both literally and figuratively. Good nose tackles are hard to find. Some call it the Planet Theory—there are very few people on the planet with both the size and athletic ability to play NFL nose tackle. It makes me question the wisdom of letting Knighton walk but we will see how it works out.

—The Redskins last played a game 25 days ago. It will be about 220 days until they play another one.

Days until: NFL Combine 20; NFL free agency starts 34; 2016 NFL draft 84

108 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. sidepull - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:41 AM

Given the Redskins history, Safety and NT. I agree with you on hard it can be finding an all around good TE. Every team could use one of those.

• goback2rfk - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Big Swaggy can be moved to Nose Tackle and will do just fine filling the role.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:46 AM

There are two primary issues with moving Baker to NT. 1) He was barely pedestrian at that position in the past. He DOESN”T have the ability to anchor down on a double team to play this position. Yes, he’s big but he is also more athletic than strong when taking on blocks. 2) You don’t move a player out of a position he just had a career year playing. Why some of you want to go backwards on Baker is beyond me. The team would be worst off making that “backwards” move.

• sidepull - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Dont move Baker back. The team saw a definite need for a bonifide NT that’s why they went and got Knighton. After a year of Knighton showed the they should move on, then get another NT. Dont go backwards especially when Baker plays well where he is at.

• goback2rfk - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Im not saying I would like to put Baker at NT. I am saying that he could hold is on at NT. Big Swaggy can get it done in the middle of the D-Line. Especially if he hits the weight room this off season. Anyways, Hopefully, PotRoast comes back at a decent price.

• ET - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Moving Baker back to nose tackle? Bad idea. He just played his best season ever, and he looks like he STILL has upside. The answer to that is moving him back to a position where he’s merely serviceable? That’s akin to “fixing” the Skins’ center issues by moving Trent Williams to Kory’s spot.

2. bertyboz - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:51 AM

Rich you forgot to mention Duke the “Nacho” man in the list of safeties

• Rich Tandler - Feb 4, 2016 at 7:09 AM

I mentally have Ihenacho on IR, where he has spent virtually all of the last two seasons. He needs to sign and I don’t know if they will come to a deal. I don’t see them going with the RFA tender of ~$1.3 million so they’ll have to work out a deal. But, yes, he is in the picture and if he signs he will get a shot.

3. bk70 - Feb 4, 2016 at 7:28 AM

Why not have a developmental draftee practice and train with the veteran. I can see a draft pick be used for a safety while learning from the veterans. Patience is needed to find that diamond in the ruff. I can see Knighton being resigned to a short contract with a top pick being used for a NT. Let the best get the start. We also have Jerrell Powe in the mix. As far as tight end, wasn’t Marcel Jensen brought in for the blocking TE. Give him a good look this off season with Reed, Paul, Carrier and Compton (T/TE). If a low round draft pick or free agent is out there then add him to the 90 man roster. These three positions won’t break the bank in 2016.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:52 AM

“Patience is needed to find that diamond in the ruff. I can see Knighton being resigned to a short contract with a top pick being used for a NT.”

As long as Knighton agrees to a reduced salary on a short term contract then I agree with this approach. I actually expect that is a possibility. Otherwise I think the team will obtain a cheaper FA option than Knighton. Someone not elite but capable and more reliable by lacking weight issues. I then see the 21st pick or possibly the 42/43rd being a NT the team hopes will be the future starter.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Why is that gemstone in a dog’s mouth?

Ah, homophones we all have our issues with them.

4. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Feb 4, 2016 at 7:33 AM

I think there will be a couple of prospects available who could play NT when we pick at 21. We’ll see if McGlue likes one.

5. abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Free safety. Finding a long term or really any answer at FS has eluded this franchise since Sean Taylor was killed. I call it the curse of Sean Taylor. Seems like ever since he died we haven’t found an answer at the position. Of course, we haven’t exactly tried extremely hard to find a good or great long term FS either. The highest drafted safety we’ve taken since Sean died was PHILLIP Thomas in the 4th round…

Not exactly investing in the position… Is it?

• sidepull - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Yea ST was special. Probably HOFer eventually. Gibbs sure made the right decision picking ST over Winslow Jr. Redskins got it right that time.Once in a lifetime type of FS. Hard to replace that. I agree i would like to see them try a little harder though.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Yeah, thanks to Clinton Portis. If Clinton hadn’t stood on the table and hounded Gibbs daily about Taylor, Gibbs would have taken Winslow. Originally, that’s who Gibbs wanted to take.

Clinton told Cooley on the air that Cooley should thank him everyday that he hounded Gibbs about Taylor and how he was a much better player and transcending player than Winslow.

Yeah, I’m not saying they’ll ever get a Sean Taylor type again, maybe NOT in our lifetimes but they seriously haven’t thrown anything more than a one year contract at a veteran stop gap or a mid to late round draft pick at the safety position since 2008.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM

We didn’t try too hard in the draft because the resources were already spent (two top ten picks on safeties) and there were equal or greater needs. The deal for Griffin limited us from taking a top safety prospect from 2012-2014. Also, during that same time frame the cap penalty didn’t allow us to target top free agents. But, who have we passed on in the draft since losing Landry? Have there been obvious examples of good safeties since 2010?

You could call it the curse of Ryan Clark because we’ve had safety problems since letting him go. Signing Archeletta, Adam not working out, therefor needing to sign Laron Landry. Taylor’s murder and then some of the “solutions” for that tragedy I have accounted for below.

Laron Landry was moved there and was the best FS we’ve had but since his natural position was SS, the search continued. Kareem Moore was there for a spell before signing O.J. Atogwe – who played just 13 games starting eight. DeJon Gomes also started five games in 2011. Since then we have needed both safeties. Reed Doughty and Madieau Williams were the starters in that magical 2012. In fairness, Tanard Jackson was signed for FS and was suspended for drugs never playing a regular season game for the ‘skins and Brandon Merriweather was signed to plays SS but only played part of one game due to knee injuries. In pre-season 2013 Philip Thomas and Bacarri Rambo, rookie draft picks, were given the starting jobs without earning it due to the injury to Merriweather and lack of talent around. Thomas got injured in pre-season. Rambo couldn’t make open field tackles. Merriweather ended up starting the bulk at FS and Reed Doughty at SS. 2014, Ryan Clark returned to play FS (he played SS when paired with Taylor in 2005) and Merriweather was moved back to SS. Last year Dashon Goldson started 15 games at safety and DeAngelo Hall finished the season as the starting SS.

So in 2016, we’re at the same spot we’ve been for the last five seasons – needing answers for both safety positions with little available resources. The cap will have to be used for other positions, the top of the draft will likely have to be used for other spots as well, and there are options on the current roster albeit not anyone’s first choice.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:33 AM

I mean they haven’t even spent over $2 M on a FA safety since then other than Landry who was a draft pick.

When we lost Sean Taylor, we should have looked for someone other than a one year stop gap in the next draft or 2 or signed a better free agent, but we really didn’t address the position.

I know everything you said before you said it and it’s just frankly NOT enough! We had opportunities to sign or draft safeties that were better prospects than the guys we had on our roster other than Landry.

I mean that’s my problem. Tanard Jackson, Meriweather and Clark were near jokes as signings. Just bottom level free agents that we prayed we’d get something out of.

I’m frankly tired of how this organization has ignored truly upgrading the safety position since 08. Every other team in the playoffs had good safety play and some had great safety play.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:45 AM

On March 3, 2011, Atogwe agreed to terms on a five-year, $26 million deal with the Washington Redskins.[7] He was released following the 2011 NFL season on March 12, 2012.[10]

Swing and a miss. There was the effort. The big chance was in 2010 when there were a bunch of good safeties in the draft but alas, the ‘skins had just 6 picks (same as 2009) and those picks were a 1st (Trent Williams, a fourth (Perry Riley), a sixth and THREE seventh rounders.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Dude I know. Again, half hearted effort and no result that worked out.

There’s been a chance every offseason to sign some decent safeties and many of them didn’t sign big deals.

Every single offseason I talk about safeties I think the skins should sign on message boards and they don’t do it.

Darian Stewart, Kurt Coleman, Lewis from KC who went to Houston and last year Balt. Amongst others that have moved around over the years and we settle on washed up free agents like Madieu Williams, Brandon Meriweather and Ryan Clark.

You’re fine with how they’ve tried and I’m not. That’s that.

It’s an abomination IMO and one of the reasons our pass defense has been so much worse than it was last decade when we had 4 highly talented players on our back end every year from 04-07

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM

I’m not fine with the results but I understand the challenges. You act as if the solution has been there staring them in the face and it hasn’t. You can’t say we need both a safety and an o-line but ignore the limits on resources. Nor can you say but what about Darian Stewart and assume that that wouldn’t have been a Jeron Johnson situation here. In hindisght, everyone would take him over Johnson. Same goes for Coleman.

Now show me a quote from you last spring touting either of them and I’ll give you props but it doesn’t change the unknowable of how they’d fare here on a crappy defense instead of being just pieces on superior defenses. I’d argue all day that the talent surrounding them elevates their play and not vice versa.

Lastly, I understand the frustration accumulating from all of the past but Rome wasn’t built in a day and we knew not every need was going to be addressed from McCloughan in the first year.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM

A quote? Why do I need to show a quote from myself? I have my own mind and I know what I’ve wanted the Redskins to do for 7/8 years at the safety position. I haven’t commented on this site about it often because I really just started doing that when I got suspended from for a month for things I said on there – which I shouldn’t have – after Griffin was benched in favor of Cousins in August.

My screen name there is Turtle28, you can go back to 2008 through now and see where every single offseason I’m saying the skins should draft this free safety prospect or sign one of these safeties because they are better than what we have.

For 1, I’ve always liked Coleman because I’m an Ohio state fan. I do realize he’s benefiting from the panthers front 7 being one of the best in the NFL though. Still, I would have loved to have signed him a few years ago when Chip Kelly let him go instead of us signing the over the hill Ryan Clark. I was not all gun ho about that signing as many Redskins fans were. My #2 team has always been the PittsburghSteelers because when I was born my parents loved them as they grew up a half an hour away from Pittsburgh. So, I knew Ryan Clark was DONE in the NFL when we drafted him. I told people not to expect too much more out of him than we got out of Madieu Williams and Brandon Meriweather.

I did want to sign Parker from Kansas City last year, Darian Stewart who was coming off a good year with the Ravens, Kendrick Lewis who had a few good years with the Chiefs and Texans Rahim Moore formerly of the Broncos, Will Demps formerly of the Giants. Every year since 08 I’ve Been talking about the need to upgrade the FS position on this team for the long term.

I mean I could go all day but it really doesn’t matter because you’ve made up your mind that no matter how the skins would have spent different in free agency over the past 8 years or drafted differently over the past 8 years that they couldn’t have found one or even two starting caliber safeties by now.

I mean paying Albert Haynesworth in 09 instead of signing a guy like Chris Canty & signing a FS instead of keeping Landry starting at FS while Doughty was our starting SS. Overpaying Josh Morgan over signing a better free safety? Making 3 DL 3 of the highest paid player on your team instead of signing a FS that wasn’t washed up like Atogwe.

I could go on and on the mistakes we made and where we missed opportunities to draft or sign a better safety than the ones we did.

I think that’s its horse manure/biased Redskins fan take that you have but we’ll just have to agree to disagree on that.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Whoa! Whoa! You haven’t been the voice in the wilderness on this! Everyone knows the need and has offered suggestions.

You said, “…you’ve made up your mind that no matter how the skins would have spent different in free agency over the past 8 years or drafted differently over…”

I’m not justifying the past moves but I take the circumstances in consideration. None of the guys you have mentioned today would’ve been seen as more than a two-year stop gap WITH THE REDSKINS. Had they failed it would’ve been the same song. They all have done better with they’re current teams which may or may not have translated to better here. When you’re finished griping about the safety position, let’s talk about how unjust it was to fire Marty, okay? The point is we don’t have the same monkeys making the decisions and fixing it will take time. If you’re suggesting the next dark horse long-term answer for safety, I’m listening. If his name is Eric something, don’t bother.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:09 PM

I hear ya, can’t change the past but still it does suck that they haven’t really tried to find another answer at FS since Sean Died.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM

I see a lot of possible long term options in the draft that the Redskins should consider drafting in the 2nd round or later to develop behind/compete with Hall, Goldson (if retained), Ihenacho (if re-signed) and Jeron Johnson.

The safeties I like in the draft are in this order:

1. Jeremy Cash, S, Duke
          16. Trent Matthews, S, Colorado St
          17. Tanner McEvoy, S, Wisconsin
          18. Michael Caputo, S, Wisconsin
          19. Elijah Shumate, S, Notre Dame
          20. Jordan Lucas, S, Penn State

• bangkokben - Feb 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM

I’d be shocked if they didn’t take at least one of them. The further you get down the list, the less likely they’d be considered long-term answers but then again Kam Chancellor was a 5th round pick.

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 8:32 AM

Yeah, probably most of those guys in the 5th to 7th round aren’t likely long term answers but they could be core special teams players for near a decade and solid back ups. We need those also. We need more than just a special team back up type at safety. We need someone who can be come in and we won’t lose much from the starters.

Of course we have found Jarrett and he’s what I just described even as a rookie. I hope Jarrett continues to develop and can start at one of the safety spots.

• bangkokben - Feb 5, 2016 at 8:38 AM

I hope so too for Jarrett. However, nerve damage isn’t something that is easily recovered from. Also, his size makes it hard to see him as a long-term answer since it is such a physically demanding position. Sure, there are a lot of guys of similar size playing there but Chris Horton, Kareem Moore, and other Redskin safety draft picks that have fizzled out were also similarly built. Jarrett will have a place on the team as long as the system remains the same – and a significant role – I just don’t see it as LONG-TERM starter. But you’re right too, this team needs more Jarretts – even if they aren’t the answer for the long-term safety spot.

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Most safeties are around Jarrett’s size. 200 to 210 pounds. If Jarrett ends up being able to play FS then he could be a long term answer there but yeah, if he can’t do that and has to play more in the box then he may not be a long term starter but more of a back up and core special teams player.

I also don’t think Moore or Horton showed the versatility and coverage ability that Jarrett did in his rookie season. Jarrett is pretty good in coverage, he was able to play slot corner also. That’s not something you can say for Horton or Moore.

I definitely think Jarrett is more likely to be on the team long term than the other mid and late round safeties we’ve taken since 08.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM

No offense to Portis but I doubt he alone swayed Gibbs in selecting Taylor. What I found hard to believe is that Gibbs even communicated his choice as the number one pick to a player. That is a breach that many cases would leak out to the media. Gibbs was a secretive coach and an unlikely one to open up on a player regarding personnel decisions. My thinking is that Gibbs was doing a background check and since Portis knew Taylor then he approached him about Taylor as a person more than as a player. Regardless of the real reality in making the choice to select Taylor over Winslow, I say Portis is embellishing about being “the guy” who convinced Gibbs to select Taylor.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Gibbs didn’t reach out and communicate with Portis. It’s just when Portis saw him around Redskins park, Portis always told him “Sean Taylor” “Sean Taylor…best prospect in the draft coach Gibbs. Best football player.”

I’m not saying thing other than what Portis has said for a decade and reiterated on the radio during this past season.

The thing is that Portis knew them both, as did Santana Moss and both players told coach Gibbs when they saw him that Taylor was the better player.

You’re reading too much into it. Portis wasn’t really taking credit, you had to hear him on the radio. He was half joking about it in the way that Portis does.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:32 AM

“You could call it the curse of Ryan Clark because we’ve had safety problems since letting him go. ”

All too often I underscore how critical the decision to let Ryan Clark go elsewhere was for the Redskins at safety. The drama of Sean Taylor has led to many overseeing how huge of an impact this has been for the team at the safety position. What seemed like a minor position adjustment back then has proven to be a major blunder that continues to haunts the defense even to this day. Ryan Clark would have given much needed solid play and stability at the safety spot.

• wvredskins - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:01 PM

@ Bang That is completely false that the RG deal limited us from taking a safety from 2012-2014. I remember a guy by the name Tyrann Mathieu aka the honey badger was selected in the 3rd round in the 2013 draft. I was lobbying for this guy hard core because I knew how much of a game changer he was.

• wvredskins - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Disregard. Cardinals picked before us in the 3rd round.

• wvredskins - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Disregard once again smh. We had a 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft where we selected David get beat alot Amerson. Im sure we as an organization would be alot happier with Tyrann Mathieu roaming around as our free safety.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Tyrann Mathieu was a big risk as Hail & Bang said. I don’t necessarily blame the skins for passing ok him in the draft.

That said, when you draft duds like Josh LeRibeus in round 3 and then follow it up with a guy like Amerson in round 2 the following year you sure do wish the team had been able to find a better option at safety rather than draft those two players.

I do realize this is hindsight, but it’s not s new issue and it’s not like I’m just saying oh last year we should have drafted or signed so and so instead of who we did.

I’m talking about 8 years here of the Redskins not finding a long term solution at the FS position through either FA or the draft and most other teams have.

• hail74 - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Every year there has been a position group that people have complained about skins not addressing. OL,DL,TE,FS,SS etc. We only get X amount of picks and caproom per year. To bens point there just hasn’t been enough quality for the demand. Everyone wanted Byrd when he was a FA and he’s been largely ineffective. Personally I wanted Malcolm Jenkins and he’s really just been hit or miss. The draft has seen a few good prospects but mostly avg guys. I say beef up the front and you can make avg DBs look really good.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 3:20 PM

I get that may be the case in one year, but I’m talking about 8 years. Nearly a decade of the Redskins not drafting or signing a safety that can be a star on the back end. This isn’t some new thing, and this isn’t me just complaining about a position for a year or two. This problem goes back 8 years

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM

@wv, the honeybadger would’ve been a better selection but we also needed a corner – which he was also playing. My point is that even with hindsight, it is hard to definitively state we should’ve pick so-n-so. Mathieu would’ve been a a ballsy pick for our first pick at 51 considering his recent history before the draft. Getting dismissed from an SEC team? You’ve got to something almost criminal for that to happen. If you already have a couple picks like the Cardinals, it’s less of risk. hail74, understands exactly what I was trying say. Lastly, we can lament all we want about the past but since the guy making the decisions is different, why? I haven’t agreed with every decision he has made but the results speak for themselves. In Seattle, they gave Matt Flynn a big free agent contract and that didn’t ruin their success. They still went to the Super Bowl twice in the next three years. They also had the Percy Harvin mess. Again these were the kind of mistakes that in the past would cripple the Redskins because they would be the norm not the exception. It’s a new day here and let’s enjoy the journey.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 3:18 PM

I know what you’re saying. My point still remains. From 08-now the team hasn’t signed nor drafted a free safety prospect capable of being a long term starter.

In all those years they could have spent some $ on a free agent FS also. They didn’t.

That’s all I’m saying. Other teams have signed or drafted good to great safeties since 08 but the skins haven’t.

So I’m sorry, I just don’t buy all the excuses that we couldn’t find guys that were better options than starting Doughty, Madieu Williams, Brandon Meriweather, Ryan Clark @ 35 amongst others we drafted or signed in that time period.

Really, the lack of attention spent to the FS position since Taylor died is the top issue I have with the organization over the past 8 years.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:19 PM

The latest news on Amerson has been nothing but good to great. Not too long after the Redskins gave him away he become a productive member and not on a great team. So the issue with Amerson may not be drafting him but our very promising GM cutting him. I bet I’ll get more of an earful about how he didn’t do his film work and showed up late for class. As if we are an organization that can afford to toss away great potential. Amerson has gifts and abilities that are undeniable. This could become a big miss for this team because instead of allowing him to mature into his talents he was place on Craig List on a freebie. Oh and I like Will Blackmond which was a nice quality pickup. However, the team could have found more creative ways to make room for another DB other than get rid of a high quality young prospect. It was just a plain dumb move no matter how you want to shake it.

More food for thought on Amerson.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Did anyone watch Amerson play?

I watched him, he wasn’t nigh and day from what he was in DC after his rookie season. He was a bit improved and played closer to the promise that he showed from his rookie season in 2013 but I don’t seriously think he was as great as some think he was.

If it wasn’t Amerson making mistakes in 2013/14 & 15, it was the safeties who played behind him.

The truth is Amerson didn’t study hard in DC. So despite his talent, he wasn’t willing to put the extra work in and he had average to below average safeties playing behind him who couldn’t make up for Amerson’s many mistakes or they made mistakes of their own.

Then, the Redskins had staring corners who had beaten out Amerson in the offseason.

Lastly, Amerson sucked at special teams. If Amerson didn’t suck at special teams or was willing to learn his assignments on special teams while he was here, he’d still be in DC today. Sadly enough, he didn’t know what he was doing on special teams either and wasn’t willing to put the extra work in on special teams to remain the teams #4 corner behind Culliver, Breeland and Hall and be a good special teams player.

I guess my only frustration with Amerson’s time in DC was that while he had struggled at corner why they didn’t try him out at FS in the 2015 offseason to see if he could have been an option there.

Maybe they didn’t think he could have been, which is totally understandable because he wasn’t willing to learn much of anything in his time in DC.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:51 PM

I don’t think it was a dumb move. Here’s why: 1) The culture needed changing. High draft picks that don’t give professional effort can’t be continued to be ignored. 2) It showed accountability. Here’s a guy that is simply going through the motions because of his draft status. I doubt Amerson plays as well with the Raiders without the wake-up call. Who knows, maybe Charles Woodson took him aside and ‘splained it to him.

Now, could Amerson turn into a solid pro, who services the Redskins could miss? Heck, yeah! But I’m with the position that says it wouldn’t have happened with out the kick in the pants. You can take the other position that the Redskins did have enough patience or couldn’t get it out of him but not me.

• ET - Feb 4, 2016 at 5:41 PM

I agree that sh!tcanning Amerson was premature. Clearly it’s paid good dividends for the Raiders. And most reasonable people can agree that he always had the physical skills needed for the position.

But was his lackluster performance in DC scheme-related? A lack of maturity? Bad game prep? A weak position group? Poor coaching? Amerson stepped into his role quite readily in Oakland after the horrible start to his season. Whatever the factor(s), it’s disconcerting that he ramped up so quickly and easily once the Raiders scooped him up.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:03 PM

I can’t blame coaching because the coaches have done well developing other young players the past 5/6 years.

I’d say he and Rambo felt entitled, they along with the OLB Jenkins pretty much told Shanahan they didn’t want to play special teams and Shanahan allowed them to get away with it.

I chalk it up to a lack of maturity, lack of studying and knowing his assignments and a sense of entitlement for some reason. For some reason Shanahan allowed both Amerson, Rambo and Brandon Jenkins to act that way as rookies.

The truth is they all should have started off their rookie years playing special teams and they should have had to earn their playing time more than Shanahan made them earn it. I fully believe he enabled them. Gruden didn’t, and that’s why Amerson & Rambo aren’t on the Redskins anymore.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM

“He also had a hall of fame free safety and former corner – Charles Woodson – playing behind him which makes any corners job easier. Players like Woodson don’t make many mistakes and actually make incredible plays off of instincts that most players in the league can only dream about.”

The statement above is all speculation where you have to assume others are compensating for Amerson coverage issues. If that is the case then how did he get the starting job so quickly? How was it the Raiders were a slightly better coverage unit than ours with Amerson on the team? Raiders as a team are not very good, but they have a defense overall that is better which may have helped him some in excelling there. However, suggesting Woodson, a player past his prime, makes few mistakes does’t change Amerson’s output. He had a job to do and he did it well. Can he continue to progress next season? This is what I’ll be watching for since he needs to show consistent progression instead of progression followed by regression.

He had issues here, no doubt. However, issues like film study can be coached up. Not every draft pick comes issue free ready to work around the clock with chalk full of talent. That’s not being realistic. Many issues young players have are correctable with good coaching and good player management. Also, not every player will provide special teams help. He was drafted fairly high to be our starting CB not a special team monster. That’s the expectation of low drafted players and rookie free agents that make the team. It’s fair if you want to suggest not participating in special teams while not starting left him vulnerable. However, I just don’t buy into this was enough to cut him loose.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:54 PM

I can’t believe we have a Redskins fan who’s such a Homer that he’s a DAvid Amerson apologist and Amerson isn’t even on the team anymore and isn’t coming back! Seriously… Wtf?? Lol

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Oh I watched Amerson play two games and he looked very capable as a starter from what I saw. If anything may help him is that it looked like the Raiders play more man and less zone coverage. However, I didn’t watch it in great enough detail to know for sure. With the attributes he brings on the field, Amerson quite possibly is a better player in man coverage.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM

” 1) The culture needed changing. High draft picks that don’t give professional effort can’t be continued to be ignored. 2) It showed accountability. Here’s a guy that is simply going through the motions because of his draft status. I doubt Amerson plays as well with the Raiders without the wake-up call. Who knows, maybe Charles Woodson took him aside and ‘splained it to him.”

Bang, on your #1; As far as I heard all OTA, TC, and preseason was that Amerson had significantly improved his work ethics. He was hardly a guy going through the motions. That’s appears to be a false perception that carried over from the previous season. Also if all was needed was a side talk with Charles Woodson to get him in gear then that doesn’t say much about the influence the coaches here have on players. I the the wake up call you are referring to is maturity. He didn’t need to be dropped for nothing to mature. Maybe benching him would have been enough if patience and common sense had prevailed here.

Also i didn’t realize until I did some quick research that when Amerson was picked up by the Raiders, the team was 31st in the league in pass coverage. So that speaks volume for why he started so quickly and also how well he did in help the Raiders improve from 31st to the top ten by year end.

All the jargon about accountability and culture while important, is not something that you justify by cutting a young promising player on a team with a losing history. If Amerson was out there getting arrested, fighting with players, or getting suspensions that your culture argument flies. However, it falls well short when you are talking a player that was “reported” to have some work ethic issues one season.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Dude, Amerson sucked in DC after his rookie season. As much as you want to hope that would have changed, it didn’t look like it was ever going to unless you watched a different Amerson than the rest of us did against the Dolphins in week 1.

Amerson wasn’t “getting arrested” but he was missing meetings. Remember when he missed a meeting and was benched for a game?

He was unprofessional and didn’t work hard enough or study hard enough to be a starting corner for the skins after his rookie season. He thought he had made it after his rookie year and he coasted in Yee 2 and he looked as bad for the skins when he played in year 3.

What he does for the Raiders is irrlevant because he wasn’t doing that in DC. He was awful in DC after his rookie year.

I have to say I will be interested to see how Amerson does in his second season in Oakland. In his second season he won’t have the Hall of Famer Charles Woodson there pushing him, teaching him and covering up when he makes his mistakes.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:30 PM

“it’s disconcerting that he ramped up so quickly and easily once the Raiders scooped him up.”

Well stated ET and it also puts to shame any lame arguments that he couldn’t have worked out here. He went to another team and one that was struggling in pass coverage before he arrived. He quickly steps in as a starter and quickly becomes and asset displaying his best career numbers in passes defended and interceptions. We are not even talking a full season in what he accomplished so quickly on another team. If he needed a few years to demonstrate this type of improvement then I understand he needed to go elsewhere to grow. However, that is not what happened. It’s pure folly to buy into the notion that he needed to be cut to be a better player. He just needed to be better coached and mentored.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:29 PM

He’s was the 4th corner for the redskins. The redskins had a healthy Culliver, Breeland and Hall when Amerson was on the team this year.

Am I the only one who remembers Amerson being inserted against the Dolphins and Tanehill going right after Amerson for three or four straight plays and I think a TD at the end of the half?

Amerson also was lousy at special teams and if your going to be a 4th or 5th corner on a football team you’re going to have to be good at special teams and Amerson sucked at it.

They gave Amerson two years to get his act straight, he didn’t. He was easily surpassed by Breeland as the teams best corner when Amerson was in his second year and Breeland was a rookie.

I don’t miss Amerson. He wasn’t progressing on the Redskins, he was digressing and I think he thought he was the top stuff and he didn’t have to work hard or study hard in his second year in the NFL. It clearly hadn’t gotten better in his 3rd offseason, preseason and what they saw from him against Miami.

Amerson had this same issue in his junior year at NC State. His sophomore year at NC state he was awesome, and he took a step back in his junior year. That’s why he almost fell to the 3rd round of the draft. After his sophomore season many people projected him as a top 15 pick.

Amerson didn’t wake up until he was cut. So, IMO he wasn’t going to get better for the redskins because he didn’t start to take his job seriously until he didn’t have it anymore and he didn’t start to play better until he was playing with a hall of fame free safety playing behind him.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:44 PM

I don’t think I’d question the Redskins defensive coaching staff – even last year and before. They did a great job in developing players like Baker, Kerrigan, Riley, Keenan Robinson, Breeland, Jarrett and Preston Smith.

Then, they flipped a college wide receiver into a better cornerback than Amerson was for them. I’d say the defensive coaching staff did and has done a hell of a job developing the young talent the front office has given it. The problem is that since 2010 the redskins front office has largely ignored the defense in the draft and it’s shown in their average to below average rankings the past 6 years.

So yeah again, I don’t blame the coaching staff for not developing Amerson. I blame Amerson for not being a professional in his time in DC and failing to live up to his 51st overall draft selection. It’s Amerson’s fault he didn’t study. It’s his fault he was late or missed practices. It’s his fault he though his talent was good enough and he didn’t need to study hard. It’s his fault he didn’t know the game plan and didn’t know his assignments. It’s his fault he missed tackles and blew assignments.

I wish Amerson had played and studied like a pro while he was in DC, but he didn’t and it showed. I don’t miss him. I’m grateful for the young talented DBs we have instead of Amerson, Thomas and Rambo and I’m grateful that Bruce Allen and Scot McCloughin did a better job at drafting DBs than Shanahan did.

I’ll take Breeland, Jarrett & Dubar over Amerson, Thomas and Rambo every day of the week AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS!

Breeland, Jarrett and Dunbar helped the Redskins defense play well enough to win the division and make the playoffs in 2015-16. Amerson, Thomas and Rambo were part of the 2013 & 2014 defensive teams that blew too many assignments and missed to many tackles. They were problems in DC and part of the reason why the Redskins only won 7 games combined in the 2013 & 2014 seasons.

• brucefan1 - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:37 PM

“I really just started doing that when I got suspended from for a month for things I said on there – which I shouldn’t have – after Griffin was benched in favor of Cousins in August.”

Harsh — but at least ya took a bullet fighting a righteous fight!

(…I think. Whudja say??)

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:16 PM

At the time it was the right thing to do because I do feel that Gruden never really gave Griffin a chance to develop in his offense and I feel that Gruden wasn’t willing to tweak his offense – in the way the Shanahan’s did – to make Griffin more successful from the pocket…

A lot like Mike Shula does for Cam Newton, Darrell Bevel does for Russell Wilson and Greg Roman did for Colin Kapernick and last year for Tyrod Taylor.

That being said, I realized after the two months of the season that Jay did make the correct decision in starting Cousins and I’m hopefully he’s back because I’m excited about the teams future with him at QB.

• brucefan1 - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:56 PM

“If he needed a few years to demonstrate this type of improvement then I understand he needed to go elsewhere to grow.”

I didn’t get a chance to watch Dave too closely at Oakland, but I did see him do a few good things when the Raiders turned up on the RedZone channel. Seems like he can play, and may continue to improve. Same with Bacardi Rum-bro; get some of these guys with the right coaches and they just may flourish.

Their progress in the league, as well as that of the rest of the Redskins “diaspora” is something that I will watch with interest in coming seasons. I’ll always have a warm spot in my heart for most of them, and will be happy if they prosper.

Looks like a few more of them might actually have a real chance to do so as the quality of Redskin roster continues to improve — as opposed to most Skins castoffs from the previous several seasons.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:10 PM

The same Rambo that Cousins abused against the Bills this year?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:38 PM

“Quit worrying about guys that came to the redskins and busted. Instead be excited about Breeland, Dunbar & Jarrett who have shown to be light years better than the DBs Shanahan drafted -Amerson, Thomas & Rambo – were.”

Dunbar and Jarrett are shown to be “light” years better than Amerson? I’ll give you Thomas but that statement is just one stuck on fan delusion. Yeah Dunbar as WR converted to DB has shown promise. The kid looks really promising and I hope it continues. However, he could have just peaked early and then we find him struggling next season for all anyone knows. So to could Jarrett. Neither have done enough to show they are light years better than Amerson. I hope they do end up showing they are better, maybe even your version of “light” years better.

• abanig - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:45 PM

They were light years better than the Amerson who played for the Redskins in 2014 & 2015

• brucefan1 - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Man, when did you get to be such an a-hole, adam? ;^}

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 9:14 AM

He’s gone. He isn’t coming back. Same with Rambo. It’s done.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 5, 2016 at 9:38 AM

“He was woken the eff up after he was cut! He thought he was untouchable while he played for the skins. That much was obvious.’

Lets get a realistic perspective here. You, I, and everyone else posting here is on the outside looking in. You have no real rclue what Amerson’s attitude was like on the team and I mean NO real CLUE. I don’t either! Everything you are stating is pure speculation. Let me give you something that is NOT speculation. A highly drafted player is cut from team A and picked up by team B. Team B is ranked 31st in passing defense before player arrives. Team B starts player within weeks. By end of the season Team B is ranked in the top ten in passing defense and said player records career best numbers in less than a full season. Now all the aforementioned is fact as of right now!

So continue to deny the fact you are playing off of media fodder from the previous season about his work ethics since it was widely reported all during TC and preseason Amerson was working very hard and doing everything he needed to do.

This whole notion that the player would never had played well if he wasn’t cut is another huge speculation. I speculate that is lackey speak and in reality keeping him on the bench and coaching him up would have been another version of your subscribed notion of “waking up”.

The appearance of the whole series of events looks like a barely average team released a very promising player that demonstrated his ability on another team. So Team B reaps the benefits of a hasty choice from Team A on releasing a player. Scot has made some wise choices but he has some faults as a GM here as well. He’s not perfect and you need to call a lame duck decision when the writing is on the wall. Stop with the delusional argument that he had to be cut to play well. That’s just …well lackey speak.

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 9:55 AM

The proof of what I’m saying is clear. Go back and watch the games of Amerson playing for the skins in 2014 & 2015. He also got cut. He also was late for and missed meetings.

It’s not even debatable. If Amerson was showing positive signs of being more mature, studying harder and playing better in the 2015 offseason and in the games he did play as a skin in 2015 then he’d still be in Washington DC right now.

The truth is the coaching staff was done with him and they had very good reason to cut him. Just like they had good reason to cut Rambo the year before.

If anyone is playing off of media fodder it’s you my friend. You bought into the whole Amerson to the media message from the spring and summer that he had learned his lesson and that he was spending more time in the film room and more time studying which didn’t translate to the field when he played for the Redskins in 2015.

I really don’t understand why you care about Amerson so much. He sucked the last 17/18 games he was in a Redskins uniform and the coaching staff didn’t believe he was working hard enough to correct his issues. And they obviously didn’t believe he could be a relished special teams player because if he at least showed that much he’d be in a Redskins uniform today. The truth is he wasn’t a good special teams player and any NFL team needs their 4th and 5th corners to be good special teams players.

They can’t just sit Amerson on the bench and just continually “coach him up” for a year on defense and “hope” he finally “wakes up.” They needed him to play on special teams. Amerson wasn’t showing the willingness or ability to be a good special teams player because he felt he should be starting. It’s like he wanted the starting position just given to him instead of him having to earn it. Well, in 2014 & 15 while in a skins uniform Amerson didn’t earn the staring spot. In actuality he went out on the field and played so bad that he’s lost it. If he had playerd well, they probably wouldn’t have signed Culliver but they felt they had to because of the regression of Amerson.

He couldn’t beat out Culliver, Hall & Breeland and then he wasn’t s good special teams player. Instead of continually watch him struggle at each of those two things the Redskins did the right thing and moved on. They found themselves 3 other guys who played as good as Amerson did at corner for them and better than he played for them in 2014 and those 3 guys wanted to and took pride in playing special teams. They did and would do anything to get on the field unlike what Amerson showed the coach staff.

Blackmon, Dunbar and even Everett had better seasons for the Redskins in 2015 than what it looked like Amerson was going to have and all 3 of them were good specials teams players something Amerson wasn’t good at or wasn’t willing to do.

Dude he’s gone. He’s not coming back. It’s not the organizations fault he busted, it’s Amerson’s fault.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 5, 2016 at 9:50 AM

“Not being an A-hole. Just pointing out obvious facts. You all can think if Amerson had stayed in DC that he was magically going to “get it,” mature and improve but the truth is he was not showing that to the coaching staff. he played bad vs the Dolphins and sucked at special teams.”

You are not pointing out obvious facts. That’s the issue. The only fact is Amerson struggled early this season. That’s the only fact you have! Everything else you have stated is speculation and speculating on outdated reporting form the previous season. So not are speculating but you are speculating on outdated media reports.

The facts are the team released a player that needed time to develop or possibly mature before he could excel on the field. The fact is Amerson is showing what he is capable of and what we drafted him for as a 2nd rounder. And the last painful fact is that he is showing this on another team. He should NOT have been cut. The talent was in this kid and if you can’t criticize the coaching and GM for not getting him to perform then like is has at Oakland then you have forgotten what coaching and player management is all about.

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 9:59 AM

That’s all the facts I need. Amerson sucked in 2014 and didn’t look any better in 2015 and was awful in special teams. They replaced him rather easily in the staring line up with Blackmon and found Dunbar and Everett who were not also young and developing but were willing to play special teams and do whatever they needed to do to get on the field and make the team better.

If Amerson had shown those qualities in 2014 & 2015, he’d still be in a Redskins uniform today. I don’t miss his lazy/entitled butt

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Amerson sucked in a Redskins uniform and sucked on special teams for 17/18 games and for two straight preseasons.

How is that not a fact?

How is it not a fact that Amerson wasn’t improving his maturity, his study habits or his willingness to play special teams as the teams 4th corner in 2015?

The truth is we will never know that answer. The truth is the coaching staff and McCloughan would have kept Amerson around in all of 2015 & he’d be on the roster now if they believed he was going to mature like they wanted and be the corner they wanted him to be.

McCloughan and Gruden didn’t see what they needed to see enough from Amerson in the 2015 offseason, in the preseason and during the Dolphins game to believe he was going to change his ways anytime soon in a Redskins uniform.

That sir are the facts as they played out in Amerson’s lasts 18 games in a Redskins uniform and in his 2014 & 15 off seasons.

If he had shown any glimmer of changing, Amerson would still be in Burgundy & Gold but the fact is the coaching staff didn’t see enough change to believe he was going to be what he should be.

I’m glad he played better in Oakland, but just because he played better there with a hall go fame safety behind him doesn’t mean he was going to do so in DC.

It’s speculation that he was going to.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 5, 2016 at 10:22 AM

He didn’t look any better in 2015? Ask the Raiders that, pull up some highlights, or read some statistics. All those FACTS speak to the contrary. You only think he didn’t look any better because you are only looking at ONE game and only at the player, instead of considering the player and the coaching. If you want to stick to that narrow minded narrative, that’s your prerogative. I do fault Amerson for struggling and his “apparent” lack of maturity in 2014. However, the team is to fault for the decision it made in 2015. That’s was proven throughout of the season. End of discussion here for me because all you keep doing no is regurgitating old reporting and last season to base you phony logic that he was lazy.

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM

“In a Redskins uniform.”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Feb 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM

“The fact that he was cut by Gruden and McCloughan early in 2015 and replaced by Blackmon & Dunbar in the line up and on special teams and they played better than Amerson played as a Redskins in 2014 & 15 is the only fact that’s relevant.

Him going on to Oakland and plying better doesn’t mean he was going to do it in DC. You’re speculating that because he played better in Oakland the final 3 months of the 2015 season that Amerson would have done the same in DC.”

It’s not the only fact that is relevant because you are weighing Amerson on one game here against those other players many games. If we want to revisit 2014 then let’s do that for Cousins as well. Oh wait; 2014 is not so relevant because Cousins improved in 2015. So did Amerson but on another team!

The fact is Blackmon replaced a younger more talented Amerson. I don’t like your pretense that Amerson “sucked”. Yes he struggled and looked downright bad at times; however, even in the Miami game while he struggled on many plays, he did have a touchdown saving pass defense along with other well played pass coverage. Overall, he was the sole victim on some crucial drives that mounted to the Miami lose. So he gets a poor grade for that game. It doesn’t mean he wasn’t getting better, it meant he had a bad game. While playing well; Blackmon is an aging journeyman player that had a hard time staying on a football team. I hope that trend ends here and I hope he provides many good seasons for the team. However, the odds are stacked against him as to if he be a consistent player for many seasons that justifies cutting Amerson.

I won’t argue his lack of participation and performance on special teams impacted his outcome. However, when a player jumps to another team and suddenly plays to his potential, the “wake up” call is just an excuse for coaches on the losing end of that deal that couldn’t bring that talent out on the field. This isn’t magic, it people skills and as a coach you have to be able to find a way to get the best out of your players when the don’t play to your potential. The only good argument you have in defending the coaches is that the system at Oakland is different and maybe it just better suits Amerson. I tried to point that out but you continue on about cutting him was the only right solution. The only thing that is obvious between the exchange of Blackmond for Amerson based on the season is that the roster is older because of it. Next season will better reveal who this exchange benefits long term.

• abanig - Feb 5, 2016 at 5:15 PM

I’m not speculating I’m telling you what happened to Amerson in DC and that the guys we replaced him with showed more and were good special teams players.

Again, if Amerson played a lick of special teams he’d still be in DC. He didn’t do it well though.

They needed guys who could play special teams.

Yeah, he went to the Raiders and played better but he was also aided by having Charles Woodson – a hall of fame DB – covering his ass on the back end if he made a mistake.

I don’t care what Amerson did in Oak because he wasn’t doing that in DC and it didn’t look like he ever would after watching him play in 2014 & the 2015 preseason and Dolphins game.

6. scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Wasn’t KNIGHTON’s play in 2015 as a REDSKIN pretty much in line with what he did in DENVER?

Was CHRIS BAKER’s play inspired to another level by having ‘pot roast’ beside him? Not sayin,’ askin’.

Might be a good idea to hang onto what you’ve got, and go into the draft for a rotation player.

I haven’t really seen any college prospects with his size coming out this year.

I’m touting DT JARREN REED as our # 21, but we need a DE as well. JONATHAN BULLARD comes to mind.

Hopefully, HATCHER has already told the organization what he’s doing going forward.

If McCLOUGHAN hasn’t made any moves in FA along the line other than ZIGGY HOOD, one has to assume he will draft early along the d-line.

• kenlinkins - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:31 AM

I like the kid from UCLA (Kenny Clark) better, he seems like a 3 down NT and Reed is more of a 2 down run stuffer. IMO the Redskins might be able to trade back and still get Clark and pick up a few draft picks, but if that Alabama ILB is still sitting there at 21, I might just pull the trigger if I was the GM. Reed might fall to the 2nd round where the Redskins could trade back to, then pick both Reed and Clark (just happen on my draft simulator) which should clear the decks at NT for a few years. (yea, I know that will not happen so I will just take Clark in the 2nd round and be happy).

• renhoekk2 - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM

You hear all the time how a kid was recruited to college as a TE but grew into a Tackle. Where are those guys? You would think they have some ball skills and know how to run a couple of routes. They may not be great tackles but they don’t need to be because they’ll be playing TE. They could be 3rd string college tackles, who cares. Can he block and catch a little? Grab two as UDFA..

• kenlinkins - Feb 4, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Maybe they will add that drill for the O.T.’s at the Combine! I can see the write ups now: ” Joe Blow 6″7′ 295 OT ESU, didn’t fair well trying to pass block today but he was able to drive block on running plays and he sure looked good running a button hook and earned a 6th round grade”. Might make for good NFL network TV when things get slow.

• goback2rfk - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:50 AM

No hating on Ziggy. I fully expect him to be starting or atleast in on a majority of the snaps come next season.

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Good luck with that. I expect him to play plenty at GOLSTON’s or KEARSE’s expense.

I would say we were in trouble if HOOD was an out-and-out starter.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:35 AM

I expect him to not make the final cut. His signing was the equivalent of us signing Tyler Larsen and Ty Nsekhe last year before free agency started. Then, everyone was envisioning Larsen to not only make the team but push Lichtenstieger for time. Silly. Now, Nsekhe did make the team and played on 194 offensive snaps, 18.1% of the team’s offensive plays (the bulk coming in as an extra tackle or tight-end and a significant chunk in the Jets game where he filled in for the injured Williams). That would seem to be Hood’s ceiling. If he makes that, I’d be surprised and disappointed that there wasn’t more discovered or undiscovered talent making the team.

• kenlinkins - Feb 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM

IMO Golston will be on the Redskins 53 man roster, but it will not happen until game 8 or 9 when the Redskins require someone to fill a hole due to a younger guy hitting I/R. Golston may even turn down some offers while waiting to see if the Redskins need him later in the year.

7. scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:54 AM

I would be surprised if TOM COMPTON isn’t given every opportunity to take LOGAN PAULSEN’s place.

I know TE’s don’t grow on trees, but S-Mc would do well to get a low round draft pick, or undrafted FA that pans out big time.

The last TE pick we made [TED BOLSER] didn’t fare so well.

• shermanp79 - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:19 AM

That is a nightmare decision. Id rather see where Paulsen is, he wasn’t bad as the blocking guy for his first couple years.He even showed some ability catching the ball. For sure he was better than what we got last year. Having a 300lb OL as your guy at TE would be a horrible GM decision. It only happened last year out of desperation.

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM

We’ll see. Hopefully, COMPTON’s carrying a football around everywhere he goes during the off-season ala ROBERT GREEN.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM

Jordan Reed isn’t too shabby.

• Mr.moneylover - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Tom Compton will not be a TE next year and Logan Paulsen to me is the odd man out but they will give him a chance to compete…kyshoen Jarrett will be a starter next year weather if he’s playing safety or CB

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Got to pick up a FA if COMPTON is just a tackle, and he’s a weak fourth in that department.

Which means he should also be a target to be released.

I can’t see it. He played as a blocking TE last season, and late was as good as PAULSEN.

I think he solves two problems on offense because TAKOBY COFIELD has been groomed to take TOM’s place.

McCLOUGHAN should promote COFIELD provided he’s as good as COMPTON, and grab another UDFA at OT this year.

If that works out, we have a blocking TE who knows the system, we get a decent fourth OT, and we don’t burn a draft pick.

8. shermanp79 - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:13 AM

A couple thoughts….

First, grabbing and actual sized NFL TE might be a start. I looked around the teams and our TE size average fall below what most other teams have on rosters. I understand wanting a Reed type but he kills us blocking and no doubt it effected our ability in the running game. Maybe trying to grab a TE earlier than the 7th round or a UDFA might help. Obviously one needs time to develop. Hopefully Reed can improve and Paul, although only 6-1 weights a bit more, probably gives better effort and may help. My other thought is to keep 4 TE in place of the FB position which basically went unused in the offense. We can’t go through another year like this past season with that position so thin. We hope Reed can stay healthy but can he?? There are guys drafted the past couple years who will develop around the league but maybe look in FA too. Not addressing it the past couple years hasn’t helped.

The S position has been hurting bad and dumping 2 young guys after a year or two emptied the talent pipeline. If you are spending 8M for Goldson, why not spend a million or two more and get a guy in here who can fill position a bit longer and stop this year after year need. We have needed a S since Taylor passed….too long. I understand building through the Draft and prefer it but a few right signings could help. I’m not saying panic, this is only Scot’s 2nd year and I believe he is going the right way but you can’t totally dismiss things either.

Finally we have Pot Roast, he played better late but did stink a bit early but his leadership helped this team. I wouldn’t so easily dump him. The problem may be what he is thinking. Let the market develop, see where the money goes. He probably is looking at a 1 yr deal, maybe a 2nd with the usual funny money. Draft a NT and then decide when cuts are made at the end of Pre Season whether to keep him one more year, which probably makes the most sense.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Nobody has or wants to pay Goldson $8M. That’s the cap hit because he is now at the back end of his deal with Tampa. Now that that is out of the way. Where is the safety store where you can you just buy a $10M safety? No safety is going to want a deal like that. They want a long-term deal that gives them a big payday on the bonus but also keeps them on the team for at least two years if not three.

• scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM

My argument for ERIC WEDDLE in SAN DIEGO.

Negotiate with GOLDSON after March 9, meanwhile ink a serious talent first hour. Put the hammer on DASHAUN after the deal is done while he’s on the market. If he’s miffed, apply the eight million toward WEDDLE. If he signs for much less than he’s being paid now keep him on for two more years incentive laden.

Pay WEDDLE, signing bonus, two years with a third small guarantee plus incentives. With his ability at 31 he should continue to play well until 33-34.

Ain’t playing amature GM fun?

In McCLOUGHAN we trust.

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I am diametrically opposed to signing Weddle. Finding an Eric Weddle type player, I’m all for. Weddle is the same age as Goldson yet Goldson has been in decline for three years. We don’t need to pay top dollar for 85% declining to 66% prime Weddle.

• shermanp79 - Feb 5, 2016 at 6:50 AM

I was talking about yrly salary…the years and money after a year or two are a joke so means little.

• bangkokben - Feb 5, 2016 at 8:47 AM

Exactly my point. That is what is left on Goldson’s contract. That, and the fact that there aren’t any $10M safeties out there. You can get what you get from Goldson – without the leadship – for a third of the price. You may even be able to get better, so why pay guys who are entering the backside of their careers (Weddle and Berry) top dollar?

9. scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM

FS is one of the two main areas of concern I have for this team.

ERIC WEDDLE may be leaving SAN DIEGO. A good place to start.

The other is center. We can burn a second round pick there and get a good rookie. My preference would be to sign ALEX MACK and hang the cost. That way, we don’t use a high pick this year at center.

But it’s going to cost.

Can’t maintain financial flexibility, and get excellence in critical areas where it’s needed for this team.

• Mr.moneylover - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:22 PM

I don’t see scot m. Adding a vet CB…I think he will get defensive guys in the draft this year because I think he seen last year getting defensive guys in free agency is a risk that kinda fail for the most part yeah the players was having fun but not getting to the QB was a huge problem you can’t just rely on your pass rush…Adding Ziggy hood was just the tip of the iceberg of what’s bout to come next few months…we got competition already but we gonna add more that’s what I love about scot m. As the redskins GM

• sidepull - Feb 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Agree. I think its a signature year here for Scot. He will bring it with the D.

10. scottmccloughanfan - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM

And I consider center and FS two of the most critical positions in football.

If I had to choose one, I buy a FS for the next two-three years, and draft high [#53] for a center now. Finish the o-line rebuild. Same as I was saying in 2012. Remember?

Retreading DASHAUN GOLDSON at a lower price is not going to make either him, or the REDSKINS happy, I’m afraid.

JERON JOHNSON evidently is not a viable option based on last season.

DUKE IHENACHO might be re-signed if the price is right so we can see if he has anything left in the tank. He’s still pretty much a mystery to fans who rarely got an opportunity to judge between injuries.

KYSHOEN JARRETT looks really good, and can play slot corner as well.

DeAngelo HALL may not be as effective as we want. And there’s always the injury risk.

• Mr.moneylover - Feb 4, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Duke ihenacho will be sign to a one year deal…it will be hard for him to get worl knowing he had two season ending surgery seasons in a row so I think its likely he get resigned to a one year deal

11. troylok - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Since no player wants to move from cornerback to safety, why not change the defense to have three cornerbacks and one safety? Since strong safety plays up near the line of scrimmage in the box most of the time, it would make sense to continue to call that position “safety” but the free safety and the corners in a lot of defenses are essentially the same. If players are getting hung up on semantics, change the semantics.

• kenlinkins - Feb 4, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Interesting thought. With the pass happy NFL now using so many WR’s at one time, it is rare the standard defensive set ups are used much. I am sure some young D.C. is working on ways to counter what we having been seeing over the past few years on offense. With all the CB, FS, SS blitz packages, why not add a hybrid SS/ILB or CB/FS or OLB/ SS types? Just spit balling here but I would guess that some teams are already looking at this. I can remember when the nickel package was thought to be to easy to run on and that no team in their right mind would use it. Now we see the “dime” and even “Quarter” packages as much as a normal 3-4. IMO players just want to be on the field and only care about “titles” when they are hit with the TAG. (then they all want to be listed as DE).

• hail74 - Feb 4, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Kind of like a Deon Buchanan. Have to love the versatility, I would just worry about getting to small at some of the interior positions.

• shermanp79 - Feb 5, 2016 at 6:55 AM

teams have that CB/S combo guy now

12. Mr.moneylover - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:05 PM

I think DL will be more difficult because the unknown of Stephen paea taking up a roster spot because his contract when we probably can get a young stud who can get after it on the DL…I’ll say WR as well because I’m not so high on Ryan grant, rashad Ross and Andre roberts …I kinda lost faith in rashad Ross because I see what kind of WRs jay gruden want…he want big WRs that can block and run good routes and go deep sometimes so rashad Ross is the odd man out…let’s see how many WRs go after they already high on LaRon Byrd they groom him this pass season and is expected to compete for playing time…if they go after two or three then I think all three WRs will be gone…I here rich tandler say well who is gonna be a blocking TE… Niles Paul is a blocking TE its part of the reason why he was the starter entering the season and TE Marcel Jensen who we got from the bills practice squad can block and catch jay gruden said “we had our eyes on him and we couldn’t believe the bills didn’t add him to they 53 man roster so we just pick him up and added him to our 53 man roster he’s gonna be groom for next year” ….TE Marcel Jensen was is huge I think he’s the biggest TE we got

• bangkokben - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Paea is holding back the wr crew any more than Andre Robets held back the improvements in the receivers. Jamison Crowder was still added despite Roberts taking space on the roster. The ‘skins have plenty of room with Knighton, Golston, Kearse, and Hatcher to make upgrades to the unit.

13. Mr.moneylover - Feb 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Ziggy hood signing was just a competition move why not give a chance to compete you never know what he can bring to the table plus when you add the young guys you need a lot of competition to get the young guys not only to do good but do it at a very high level…when redskins drafted David amerson the franchise was not in a good place and he picked up bad habits and he struggle to get out of it…if we had guys like Ricky jean and Chris culliver to push the young guys David amerson and others would’ve step they game up…idk if ppl know but Chris culliver brings swag to the DB group he’s the main one yelling at players saying you gonna get beat sometimes pick your head up its all about how you bounce back and I think guys like Quinton Dunbar and kyshoen Jarrett picked up that kinda attitude

14. censorshipstinks - Feb 4, 2016 at 4:42 PM

You guys are crazy if you think Paulsen won’t be heavily in the mix next year. He was a huge loss. Mix that and getting Shawn Lauvao back you will see our run game get back on par. Paulsen is a blocking TE with size and fairly good hands not to mention he is tall.

• John - Feb 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Paulsen is not all that. For what they might spend on him, they can find a rookie free agent. I think Carrier will get more work as “the blocking tight end”. He had some good moments mixed in with some bad ones but showed promise. Niles Paul bulked up but he is a better receiver and special teams player than blocker.

Lavuao is apparently a long way off from being ready. Rich said the guy just went through another surgery and is getting around on a scooter.

• bangkokben - Feb 5, 2016 at 8:52 AM

“For what they might spend on him, they can find a rookie free agent.”

Can they? How did that work out for them last year? Paulsen won’t cost much and the pipeline of young talent is shrinking. He deserves a shot. Having said all that, not since Peyton Manning, has a guy got injured and his value gone up like Paulsen’s.

• pdxskin - Feb 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Some great discussions on this thread…. sorry I missed most of it yesterday. As for the TE situation, I have long wanted them to draft a complete, big bodied tight end who can stay inline and be a redzone mismatch. Reed is great as a pass catcher but the rest of his game is not so well rounded, and with his size/injury history I don’t think we can expect him to become a great blocker/complete TE..

Since Marcel Jensen was signed late in the season and never really saw the field, I didn’t know much about him – after reading up on his last night, he seems like a guy who has potential to fill that role IF the light bulb comes on for him and he can be coached up (a former UDFA who has the physical tools, but very raw). Will keep fingers crossed, but I don’t think we can just assume he will work out.

Now don’t go all crazy on me, I know we have needs all across the board, but what about taking Hunter Henry (TE) with our second round pick this year, if he is still there? All the draft info I’ve seen on him says he is the most complete TE in this class – good blocker, good hands, run good routes, team guy, etc. Having a do-it-all guy who could line up in-line would allow us to run double TE sets way more often, to take advantage of both Reed and the new TEs skills (help Reed get even more opportunities in the passing game), and it would allow us to disguise our formations a bit better between run and pass plays.

Not to put him in the same category as a scumbag, but Reed would be the Hernandez to Hunter Henry’s Gronk, if you remember when the Patriots were regularly featuring those guys in their double TE sets (Reed and Hernandez have similar builds and skill sets, if you look strictly at the football aspects, and while I’m not saying Henry would be anything near what Gronk has become as a receiving threat, he is a lot more similar in build and versatility than Reed will ever be).

15. pdxskin - Feb 5, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Quick hits on other needs – for Center, I think we should go free agency and try to sign Wisnewski from Jacksonville – everyone is talking about Alec Mack, but he is going to be WAY too expensive, Wisnewski could be had for half of what Mack will cost, and he is a young, solid (above average) NFL center.

For DB, we need to draft a guy or two, but signing a decent (i.e. not on his last legs) free agent DB every now and then is no crime… remember, that is how D Hall first came to us (and it’s definitely time for a replacement!). We should at least kick the tires on George Iloka (Cinci) or Tashuan Gipson (Browns) as options at safety, and take a look at someone like Trumain Johnson (Rams) as an option at corner.

They won’t be cheap, but they won’t break the bank, either (we are not talking Eric Berry/Josh Norman kind of signings – we can’t afford those guys and don’t want to build our team that way).

16. smotion55 - Feb 6, 2016 at 7:32 PM

The draft is fairly deep at safety and nose tackle. They should draft a nose and safety early or 1 of the 2 OLB that should switch to safety. Deion Jones from LSU or Sua Cravens from USC would be worth the early pick and can play either but really to light to play OLB. There will be 4 or 5 Nose tackles in the draft when we draft at 21 I would pick 1 then and be done with it for 7 or 8 years. Archives