Jan 30, 2016, 5:43 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, January 30, 25 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
A look at the Redskins week that was
Looking back at some of our most popular Redskins posts of the week:
Troy Aikman could see RG3 in Cowboys uniform, with one caveat—This is one of those silly season stories, where the former Dallas quarterback says that he could envision either Robert Griffin III or Johnny Manziel in a Cowboys uniform in 2016. You can’t dismiss it out of hand because of the source. Aikman is wired in to the organization and it’s likely that he has heard of some interest in Griffin on the part of the Cowboys. But that is a long way from a contract offer and Griffin agreeing to go to a situation where he would have to go and wait for the starter to get injured before getting a chance to play. Tony Romo isn’t going to get benched.
Which Redskin might be a surprise cap casualty in 2016?—The Redskins will have some cap room to work with and they will have more when they release Griffin. But there are some high-priced vets who might need to be released to create some more room to be able to sign Kirk Cousins, perhaps extend Jordan Reed, and add some needed players in free agency. Check out the post to see who Tandler and Tarik think could go.
How many draft picks do the Redskins have?—We’re still about three months away from the draft but interest is high which is why this draft basics post got so many page views. There are probably two or three dozen players that Scot McCloughan could take with their first pick, which is No. 21 overall. It seems like every fan has his or her favorite. We’ll talk about the draft plenty in the months leading up to it and, of course, during and after.
Giving odds on the return or departure of every Skins’ free agent—Free agency comes well before the draft and the Redskins have 16 players with expiring contracts. Some will be back, many won’t. We looked at every Redskins pending free agent and the odds of him being back in burgundy and gold for the 2016 season.
Ertz contract gives Redskins guidance on new deal for Reed—Jordan Reed isn’t going to be a free agent this year but the Redskins may look to lock up their standout tight end before he is. They got some help in figuring out what a deal with Reed should look like when the Eagles locked up Zach Ertz, their top tight end, through 2021 a year before his rookie contract expired. They have comparable career numbers up to this point but Reed is considered to be more of an impact player and he likely will make more than Ertz, who got a five-year deal worth $42.5 million with $20 million guaranteed.
—The Redskins last played a game 20 days ago. It will be about 225 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 25; NFL free agency starts 39; 2016 NFL draft 89
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?