Jan 27, 2016, 4:54 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, January 27, 28 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
Five players who will be cap bargains in 2016
TE Jordan Reed (2016 cap number $833,166)—Reed was just scratching the surface of what he can do in 2015. I think there is a string of 1,200-yard seasons in his future. The Redskins may elect to give him a contract extension but even if they do that his cap number for this year could be around $4 million, about half of the going rate for a top TE.
ILB Will Compton (est. $600,000)—Compton is unsigned but that’s just a technicality. He is an exclusive rights free agent and the chances are very good that he signs a one-year contract for the minimum for a player with two years under his belt. He is likely to remain the starter at Mike linebacker and continue to emerge as one of the leaders on defense.
CB Bashaud Breeland ($721,500)—He is gong into the third year of his rookie contract so he is not yet eligible for a new deal. And he may not be ready for one. Breeland played well at times as the team’s No. 1 corner with Chris Culliver sidelined with injuries for a good chunk of the season but he also showed that he has a lot to learn. The team will see how much he can improve this year and then maybe talk extension with him in 2017.
WR Jamison Crowder ($661,406)—A productive skill position player on a rookie contract is always going to be a cap bargain. He caught just one pass fewer and gained 120 more yards than Steelers TE Heath Miller, who had a cap number of $7.1 million.
OLB Preston Smith ($1.31 million)—The Redskins got eight sacks from Smith in 2015. The Titans got seven sacks from Jurrell Casey, who has a $8.12 million cap number and seven from former Redskin Brian Orakpo, who carries an $8.25 million cap number.
—The Redskins last played a game 17 days ago. It will be about 228 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 28; NFL free agency starts 43; 2016 NFL draft 92
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring