Jan 23, 2016, 6:58 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, January 23, 32 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.
A look at the Redskins week that was
Since there wasn’t a head coaching change like we had two years ago or a new general manager hired as happened in January of 2015 so here wasn’t much in the way of hard news out of Redskins Park this week That gave us a chance to explore some other topics surrounding the team as it goes forward into the offseason. Here are the five posts that are among those that drew the most interest this week.
Redskins will get no compensatory pick for RG3—The Redskins’ handling of Robert Griffin III almost from start to what seems to be the inevitable finish in a few weeks has been rife with mistakes. Among them was the decision to pick up his $16 million option for 2016. Not only did the option, which is guaranteed for injury, keep the Redskins from being able to either play or trade Griffin, it sets up a scenario where they won’t get even a late-round pick as compensation when he leaves. Click on the article for details but since the Redskins will be releasing him they won’t be eligible for a compensatory draft pick when he moves on.
Five possible Redskins free agent targets—Between now and the start of free agency on March 9 we will look at a several dozen free agents. Scot McCloughan is likely to sign no more than three or four. But interest in free agency is still high even though the Redskins aren’t likely to make any big splashes like bringing in Bears WR Alshon Jeffery or Chiefs safety Eric Berry. McCloughan’s minimalist approach is harder to figure out than the old Redskins approach but we’ll keep trying.
Redskins hire former player as a position coach—Greg Manusky just missed collecting two Super Bowl rings with the Redskins. He made the Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 1988, a year after they won Super Bowl XXII. He left Washington following the 1990 season, the year before the team won Super Bowl XXVI. Manusky, an aggressive middle linebacker and special teams demon as a player, started his coaching career in Washington in 2001 and now he returns to coach the outside linebackers under Joe Barry.
Should the Redskins be confident that Cousins can keep it up?—A look at the numbers shows that the big (at the time) contracts signed by the likes of Matt Cassel and Kevin Kolb do not necessarily serve as cautionary tales as the Redskins start to negotiate with Kirk Cousins. They did not have seasons nearly as good as Cousins’ 2015 before they got paid. Nick Foles 2013 is a different story; he apparently had a fluke big season. Plenty for the Redskins to figure out.
Redskins’ Scherff gets NFL rookie honors—The Pro Football Writers of America voted on their all-rookie team and Brandon Scherff, the Redskins’ top draft pick, make it as a guard. He missed just one snap all year long and gave up one sack. Also honored was former Maryland receiver Stephon Diggs, now with the Vikings.
—The Redskins last played a game 13 days ago. It will be about 232 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 33; NFL free agency starts 46; 2016 NFL draft 96
In case you missed it
- What will they do with Roberts?
- Can Jones be the Redskins’ No. 1 back?
- Redskins hire former player as a position coach
- Cousins co-recipient of PFWA most improved player
- One draft expert predicts Redskins make controversial pick at No. 21
- Redskins 2015 awards: Who was Coach of the Year?
- Five possible Redskins first-round draft targets
Follow Us On Twitter
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined
- Redskins preparing for Browns - without Josh Doctson
- Gruden: Redskins still sorting out offensive line changes
- Week 4 Redskins injury report: Three starters out of practice
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory