Need to Know: What are the Redskins’ biggest needs?

Jan 17, 2016, 6:21 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, January 17, 38 days before the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Question of the day

We’re flipping into offseason mode with Need to Know. At least a few days a week I’ll give an in-depth answer to a question submitted by a fan on my Twitter feed, via the Real Redskins Facebook page, or in the comments section here. On Twitter address the questions to me at @Rich_TandlerCSN with the #NTK hashtag. There will be a comment thread set up on the Facebook page and if you’re asking your question here, put “for NTK” at the start of the comment.

Today’s question comes from the Real Redskins Facebook page.

The Redskins have needs everywhere. I can’t think of a single area on the team where Scot McCloughan can look at the depth chart and say, “I’m set there, I don’t need to add a good player at that position.” Whether it’s at the top of the depth chart or as a reserve, the team needs help everywhere.

But some needs are more urgent than others. Here are a few areas where starters or key reserves will be needed in either 2016 or 2017.

Running back—It seems likely that Alfred Morris will move on and it’s not clear if Matt Jones can be the replacement. They want a dynamic back who is capable of contributing on all three downs.

Safety—Dashon Goldson and DeAngelo Hall are short-term solutions at best. Kyshoen Jarrett appears to be a keeper but they need at least two more.

Quarterback—They will lock up Kirk Cousins with either a long-term contract or with the franchise tag. But Robert Griffin III will be gone and Colt McCoy could decide to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

Defensive line—They could field three decent starters here in 2016 even if Jason Hatcher does retire. But the unit needs an injection of youth and finding one or two linemen in the draft will start the rebuild process.

There are some other areas with needs of varying degrees of urgency. They will need a new center sooner rather than later. Andre Roberts is likely to move on in free agency and the top two receivers will turn 30 this year. Niles Paul’s return will help the tight end depth chart but they still don’t have a blocking TE on the roster. Looking at some of the cornerbacks the Redskins had to use later in the year, they could use some help there.

And so on. Again, there isn’t a position on the team where they couldn’t use either a draft pick or a quality free agent at the right price.

I’m going to leave the question of free agent targets alone for right now. It’s early and there are a lot of moving parts including players who are under contract who will be cut and pending free agents who will be signed. Just keep in mind that McCloughan is not one to make a free agent splash so look for him to target younger players who won’t eat up a ton of cap space.

—The Redskins last played a game seven days ago. It will be about 238 days until they play another one.

Days until: NFL Combine 38; NFL free agency starts 53; 2016 NFL draft 102

1. cachecropp - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:00 AM

I think the Redskins biggest needs are S, DE, C, CB and MLB. Imagining the impact a solid rookie would have over the next few years at each of these positions and I would have to say Safety, DE and Center are the biggest needs. I say this because at Safety there is mediocrity. No safety on the roster is a threat to offenses passing games or a turnover machine at all. At DE, Hatcher is aging and likely to retire. Francois is decent but turns 30 this year. There needs to be an impact rookie in the mix at DE. CENTER is more important than many give credit for. The Center handles the ball on every snap, makes line calls and is literally the center of the offense on every play. We need a talented player there who can grow along with Cousins.

• cachecropp - Jan 19, 2016 at 7:38 AM

I’ll add that if Culliver is let go for cap/injury reasons, then CB jumps up to the #1 priority.

2. mrhart76 - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:15 AM

Corners and line help. A tall wideout. Keep Morris. When Shawn Lavou was in there the running game was bullying people. If he’s not healthy put the kid from Bama in his spot. Draft a bigger center who won’t get pushed back. Keep building the foundation!! Then add lamps later! First round d line. 2nd Rd center.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 17, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Here’s a list of centers.

I guess there must be a gem or two in there somewhere…

• captblood3000 - Jan 18, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Volz from Wisconsin, maybe? He’s big enough.

• Trey Gregory - Jan 17, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Not a bad post but I can’t believe neither you nor Rich said inside linebacker. To me, that is the most urgent need of this team. Getting a future pro bowl ILB with the 21st overall pick may be a stretch, but damn we need one bad.

I won’t every complain if they use draft picks on either line though. Being strong there makes everything else run smoother. At this point in a rebuild, those are great and semi safe draft picks.

I think teams can get by without great TEs, so I’m not overly concerned there. But I think it’s interesting that rich said we don’t have a single blocking TE after all the accolades Paul received for his development this offseason (which I didn’t buy into for a second being how undersized he is) and Carrier’s size. I’ll admit, I was a little neglectful in evaluating Carrier as a blocker this year. Can anyone help me out? was he not very good?

• rtcwon - Jan 17, 2016 at 6:34 PM

Carrier improved a lot in his limited time here, enough to believe he is a good scheme and coaching fit. Also Jensen is a clear blocking TE and under contract.

Most don’t consider ILB to be a want or need as the duo of Compton & Riley was dynamic.

• richko - Jan 18, 2016 at 1:37 AM

Agree build the O line and D line up. Maybe a safety and corner. Easy to pick up play makers at other positions. I think Gruden and his staff did pretty well with what they had to work with. Organization appears improved. I see promise moving forward. We played a brutal road schedule, lost some close games and sprinkled in a good mix of rookies. Need more time to gel. Only my opinion

3. garg8050 - Jan 17, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Hard hitting safety and a ball-hawking safety. I’m not convinced Hall can be the ball-hawking safety that they need. Countless times this season our safeties were not in the right position to either break up a deep ball or make a play on the ball. Outside pass rusher; either a LB or DE. Preston Smith might develop into that; Galette may fill that role as well. And lastly, a blocking TE that can really set the edge. No more Tom Compton at TE please.

I think RB with Jones, C. Thompson, +/- Pierre Thomas should be ok, unless they have the opportunity to get a dynamic back. Upgrades at Center and/or guard would be ideal; maybe someone off the practice squad can step up. Lauvou sounds like he’s got too many injury issues to count on. I would restructure Jackson and Garcon if possible; if not, keep the WR intact as is. Bump in the salary cap should allow both to stay and then they can decide what to do for 2017 with both contracts coming off the books.

4. Josh Gardner - Jan 17, 2016 at 9:32 AM

For NTK – What changes might be made to the defensive line and should we expect a 1st or 2nd round DL pick?

5. SportzWiz - Jan 17, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Very surprised there has been no mention of ILB. I know Will Compton played well down the stretch, but the Skins are likely to move on from Keenan Robinson and Mason Foster would get exposed in a full season.

6. colorofmyskinz - Jan 17, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Here is where we need to spend our draft picks:
    1st round – Defense End
    2nd round – Tall WR
    3rd round – Center
    4th round – cornerback
    5th round – middle linebacker
    6th round – safety / cornerback / Dback

Use free agency to pick up another Big TE with hands and can block, and 2 safeties.

• rtcwon - Jan 17, 2016 at 4:36 PM

The best way to ensure failure in the draft is to target positions, much less target certain positions in certain rounds. That is dumb even in fantasy football.

• colorofmyskinz - Jan 17, 2016 at 11:08 PM

These are our greatest needs whether they draft them or FA.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jan 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM

I think the Redskins are selecting #21 in the draft. Any elite DE potential will be long gone by then. If we are looking at a elite position to grab at that spot then it more likely will be Safety, Center, or maybe Tight End,. Every year a player does slip in the draft but I’d prefer what others here are suggesting which is to select the player with best talent before one based on a position need.

7. bangkokben - Jan 17, 2016 at 12:17 PM

The Redskins are so chocked full of needs that the GM can hardly go wrong with drafting the best player available. The cap is healthy and upgrades, depth, or additions can be made there as well. There are no “pressing” needs on offense but plenty of positions that can be addressed. Defensively, they need to find the best players available in each level (line, linebackers, and secondary). It will be interesting to see how the GM attacks improving the roster. First its the teams FAs, then free agency, THEN the draft. Until then we can watch the playoffs. Look at all the old and decrepit QBs taking their teams to the playoffs. The windows are closing on Manning, Palmer, and Brady. Then you have Brees as well as Eli, and Romo on the wrong side of 35 watching at home.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM

It was interesting watching G.B. nearly pull that game out the same way they beat us: Start running hurry-up, next thing you know the big guys on the DL are getting tired.

• brucefan1 - Jan 17, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Maaan … that hurry-up offense looks like a killer to defend — IF a team can make it work … by keep moving the ball and sustaining drives (all big “ifs”).

I haven’t seen many teams that have come up with an effective counter to it when it’s being run well — except by flopping and feigning injuries maybe? LOL)

But if it’s doesn’t run effectively, then all an offense usually ends “hurrying up” is their own defense back onto the field. Seems like it’s either feast or famine!

One thing I dislike about it personally is that it doesn’t allow me to eliminate the dead time between plays by hitting the “:30 skip” button when I’m watching a game on delay — which I frequently do for all other than Redskins games. (Matter of fact, I’m doing it right now!) A hurry-up team usually gets the next play off in well under that time! So annoying! Sounds like a great reason to ban it outright, wouldn’t you agree??!! ;^}

• colmac69 - Jan 17, 2016 at 3:31 PM

If you notice last night gb got caught with same illegal procedure they got away with last wk. (great catch on play that went for nothing )……

But what crazy ending…4-20 on your four yrd line and give up a 60yrd pass play then 40yrd td on last play…

Then arizona with 75+pass play

Just great football…..

• bangkokben - Jan 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Nice to see the Refs actually catch the illegal shifts – which would’ve offset those penalties last week as well as stop the clock allowing for substitutions. A good strategy though and effective.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jan 17, 2016 at 5:03 PM

You must be joking about some of these QBs. It’s now like I starting to pity any of these teams starting any of them right now in the playoffs. Old maybe, decrepit? Maybe Manning! However the other two seem to have some more years left in them. That’s may be more quality years left then we got out of RG3. Hell, Palmer looks to be hitting his prime and has had a very good season with a DYAR ranking of #1.

I agree that there should be no specific requirement regarding position of need on this team. Let the talent come to Scot as they become available and pick the best prospect. This should apply to free agency and the draft. I also agree we should retain the services of both Jackson and Garcon for next season.

• bangkokben - Jan 17, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Carson Palmer had an EXCELLENT season – reminds me a bit of Rich Gannon at the end of his career – but Palmer was the reason that game was so close. He was horribly off most of the night – presumably due to his relocated index finger on his throwing hand that looked like Brian Baldinger’s ninety-degree pinky finger after clashing it on the helmet of an Eagle’s player late in the season. Why he was so much more off against GB last night as opposed to a couple of weeks ago, I don’t know. Maybe the bye: maybe the new tape job that was supposed to provide more flexibility. Who knows? Big Ben looked much better than I anticipated with the bad throwing shoulder. As for Palmer, Brady, and Manning; these guys are fantastic and “playing their guts out.” They know their windows are closing. Manning likely is done after this season but Brady and Palmer do not have much longer. Two years ago Manning was at the top of his game but when Father Time comes calling it isn’t usually gradual.

• John - Jan 18, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Palmer has always been good. The Cardinals would have gone farther last season except for him going down with a knee. Remember he was all that coming out of college at USC, sat his first year, led Cincy to a divisional title got his knee blown out, then Cincy was up and down and Palmer stayed home for a year and since then has been balling for the Cardinals.

8. wsgullickson - Jan 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM

I would guess they’ll address the lack of youth on the defensive line early, and this appears to be a good draft for both DE and DT, I’d recommend finding both. I don’t think they’ll wait for Culliver to get healthy especially if his guaranteed money for 2016 is voided due to his suspension, so I’d imagine they’ll draft at least one CB.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jan 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Moving Preston Smith to DE next year would add some instant youth to the front 3. Once they sign Junior Galette to an extension there will be no need to force Preston to play backup role. He has too much talent and he was tremendous in college in applying inside pressure even as at NT spot. He’s not a natural NT but I’d like to see the team use him like Houston uses JJ Watt along the line.

9. RG3D - Jan 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM

they might not have had a healthy blocking tight end at the end of this season but if their injured TEs come back healthy is the position really a top need?

10. rtcwon - Jan 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM

I look at it a little differently. To me, a need is when you don’t have a viable starter under contract. Upgrading your current starter or improving depth are wants. Using this definition, NT is the only true need as soon as Way, Compton & Ihenacho receive their RFA tenders and knowing Kirk will be back even if they have to use the tag. But QBs are so important, I’ll also consider QB2 a need.

Kirk, NT & QB2 are needs.

My wants begin with an upgrade over Hall or Jarrett at safety next to Duke. That could be resigning Goldson or someone better. I would like either Hall or Goldson as the veteran backup, locker room leader, not both.

While pass rusher is a more important position, I’ll flip RB back to my second want as Jones, Redd & Brown would not cut it. Even bad GMs find value at RB so this shouldn’t be hard.

Pass rusher is the second most important position in the game and upgrades here instantly make any secondary better. I’m assuming Galette resigns but you can never have too many pass rushers.

Third corner is a starter in today’s league and a guy coming in as #3 has more value than one who thinks he’s a 1 or 2. He doesn’t even have to be able to play slot as I think Cully or Breeland can do that. I like Dunbar and also Everett, but not as a starter going into the season.

I don’t believe good teams are built by releasing starters (creating needs) especially when they don’t need cap room so DJax, Garcon, Riley, Lauvao & Lichtensteiger all stay and start until someone beats them out on the field. I would extended the WRs and hope the other three are beat out by next year.

• goback2rfk - Jan 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM

I agree. I was confused because the article said “What are the biggest needs?” and then it started talking about the QB position and RB position. Both not being on the radar as the biggest needs. The article title is confusing.
      With that being said, the biggest needs are on defense. I would assume they draft defense this year. Biggest needs are obviously defensive related. On offense a Center and beast Wide Receiver would be good.
      Jones and Thomson have the running back position locked down.

• rtcwon - Jan 17, 2016 at 6:52 PM

I missed Thompson, he’s a ERFA so even more certain to return than the RFAs they want back.
        Jones, Thompson, Redd & Brown could be serviceable. I’ll keep RB on my want list but back below pass rusher.

• berniebernard666 - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM

The biggest need on Defense is a Defensive Coordinator who understands that a PREVENT DEFENSE only prevents you from winning. I have said this now for 12 weeks but I will say it again. Joe Barry’s Prevent Defense doesn’t work when you tell everybody in the world that you want to rush 4 and cover 7 and then your front 4 can’t get pressure most of the time, YOU LOSE…..AND THEY DID.

i AM RIGHT. Joe Barry is wrong. So if they keep Joe Barry the Redskins will not make the playoffs regardless of how many changes they make on defense. My gut feeling is that he will get 3 years before they realize that he is a failure. Mark my words on this.

• bangkokben - Jan 17, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Give Barry some legit talent and I suspect there will be different results as well as different strategy.

11. captblood3000 - Jan 17, 2016 at 6:23 PM

The Redskins need playmakers. Enough said.

• goback2rfk - Jan 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM

We need a better pass rush for sure. Some of which will be fixed presumably when Gallete returns.
      I am looking for a big year out of Kerrigan next season. Ancient and rugged DE/DT/OLB Julius Peppers at age 35 had more sacks than well paid big contract Kerrigan this season..

• berniebernard666 - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Kerrigan is an 8-10 SACK per year guy. I said it at the beginning of the season and was told by several people here that I don’t know anything about football and that Kerrigan is a BEAST. no….no he is not a beast. He is an 8-10 sack per year guy….he will make a good play 1 out of 3 plays….but the other 2 plays he disappears.

The Redskins need more consistency out of Kerrigan.He is good on the run but not great. Many of those long runs came on his side of the field as he got pushed out of the way or he overpersued. He is not a pro bowl Linebacker unless a bunch of other linebackers are in the S.B. and or injured. Sorry,,but its the truth.

• berniebernard666 - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM

wow. thats deep. Personally I think they need to outscore the other teams.

• captblood3000 - Jan 18, 2016 at 10:53 AM

No, it’s simple. Make more big plays on offense or defense and you will out score your opponents most of time.

I would only add an interior offensive lineman, either a center who can play guard or a guard who can play center. And a blocking tight end if they don’t resign Paulsen.

12. redskinsnameisheretostay - Jan 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Regardless of what many suggest here, Rich is right to include QB as one of the biggest needs on this team. What exactly was learned about Cousins this season? 1) He can overcome past issues by significantly reducing interceptions. 2) He can lead big comebacks and win on final drives at least against the lesser teams in the league. 3) He gets the ball out quickly, but is this at the cost of the losing opportunity for the big pass play? Does this approach give defenses an advantage covering a shorter part of the field?

Every good team he faced and every good defense he confronted, the team came out on the short end of the stick. Overall, I’m hoping we do sign Cousins to a long term contract as long as the cap space in the early years is in the 12 to 14 million dollar range and as long as the later contract years are can voided. That’s top shelf for what Cousins has shown he can do at this point. Any amount 15 and over on a cap hit in the initial years will come at great risks. I don’t think the Redskins will sign Cousins unless he agrees to back load a significant cost of the overall price tag to the latter years.

The team really needs to obtain a promising young QB. Getting to the playoffs was great for morale but it comes at a heavy cost in the draft since selecting 21st in the draft doesn’t give the team much a chance for an elite player. However, if the team is willing pick up Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd or 3rd round then I’d certainly be on board with that choice.

• bangkokben - Jan 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM

I agree with everything you said up until the draft pick. That wasn’t a cost. The experience for being in the playoffs and tasting defeat is better than picking 13th – especially if you have a real GM picking the pieces. NE picks after the 21st spot every year and manages to do pretty well.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jan 18, 2016 at 8:43 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting trading a playoff season to get a bump in the draft slot. I’m just stating the actual cost of picking 21st instead of say 13th as you use in significantly reducing the chance for drafting an elite player that may be able to step into a position year one as a starter.

13. berniebernard666 - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Obviously left GUARD is the number 1 need. The Redskins got pushed back on the 1 yard line against the Packers because Spencer Long is weak. If they had an All Pro at that position they would have scored 4 more points and it would have made a difference in the game at the time.

But more important, moving forward they need to protect the QB and RUN the football which they could not do with Spencer Long in there. for YEARS now in the big games the QB is under pressure from the push up the middle. The Redskins cannot win unless they are scoring 30 points per game. They have the Skill players to do that but not the line. The Packers manhandled the Redskins offensive Line in the final game. Also, they need to upgrade at Center as well.

• bangkokben - Jan 17, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Wasn’t LeRibues in on that play? Also, pulling the right guard. WTF? That was a stupid play call.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Jan 18, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Wasn’t that also the play Long was injured?

• bangkokben - Jan 18, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Maybe it was. He certainly got injured early in the game. Came out for a bit and then returned. If I haven’t deleted the game from my DVR it would be easily enough to tell.

14. berniebernard666 - Jan 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Over All….I wouldn’t worry to much about all the Redskins free agents. In fact some of their contract players could be let go. There is a QB now….and there is one Pro Bowl player…..and as far as I am concerned there are no other starters. Just guys competing to make the team. This is a team filled with AVERAGE.

• brucefan1 - Jan 17, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Bernie gettin MAD beefs off his chest today!! LOL

15. abanig - Jan 17, 2016 at 11:11 PM

I agree with all of your points. I would stay that I think Colt McCoy will be back as Cousins’ back up maybe on a multi year deal

As for running back, Matt Jones is a three down back. He’s talented, and only going to improve. Chris Thompson is the ultimate change of pace back/scat back that can also be put out wide as a receiver.

I see Jones getting around or over 20 to touches a game next year.

This year Thompson averaged 5 touches a game and he averaged 6 yards a rush and nearly 7 yards a reception – most receptions were coming out of the backfield. I see Thompson’s touches doubling next year, at the least.

I think the skins will either retain Pierre Thomas as the 3rd running back option or preferably draft another mid or late round running back. I think they’ll look for a running back who has the skills of a Roy Helu/Gio Bernard. Not a running back that can take 20 to 30 carries a game necessarily – that’s Jones – but a running back who’s a mix of Jones & Thompson.

• abanig - Jan 17, 2016 at 11:47 PM

The skins should consider drafting a defensive player with 2 of their first 3 most likely a DL in round 1 and a safety in round 2 or 3.

The skins do need a youth infusion on their DL. They have 4 players who can be quality starters under contract (Baker, Hatcher, RJF and Paea) and could retain Knighton who needs to lose some damn weight but even if he’s out of shape, he can make some plays at times. I do think Hatcher will retire and I believe the skins will draft a DE in round 1 as his future replacement but in 2016 I expect the skins starting DL to be:

RDE: RJF
      NT: Baker
      LDE: Paea

Preferably, the Redskins 3 back ups to those starters will be younger players they acquire through the draft or free agency and not retaining Golston, Kearse or Knighton.

As for safety, the Redskins need to cut Goldson or have him take a pay cut because he’s not worth $8 M. Jarrett can start at either FS or SS in 2016 IMO. I’d retain Duke Ihenacho as a RFA to compete to for the starting SS position in 2016. I also believe that DHall can be the starting FS for 2016 and maybe 2017 or longer.

Now, for the future, the skins need to draft a safety in rounds 1 through 3 to develop behind Hall and maybe even start over Ihenacho or Jarrett. Players the skins will consider drafting in rounds 1 through 3 are:

1. Keanu Neal
      2. Jeremy Cash
      3. Jayron Kearse
      4. Von Bell
      5. Darrian Thompson
      6. Max Redfield
      7. Jalen Mills
      8. Karl Joseph
      9. Tyvis Powell
      10. Deon Bush

16. babyteal1 - Jan 18, 2016 at 8:20 AM

17. austrianhttrfan - Jan 18, 2016 at 9:22 AM

I think Foster and Compton like to play along each other…Riley as your back up, and Spaight getting fast back on track…

I think the way Barry wants to run his defense, they need to have superstar talent at the D-line, imagine having 3 studs at the D-line, they can force pressure with a 3-4 man rush and sending the others back in coverage, that´s what Barry likes right? So definitely we do not need pass rusher but D-line monsters.

We need a Center on offense and a lot of talent on defense!

18. John - Jan 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM

I’d give my left arm for a d lineman that can blow things up ala JJ Watt or even the Donald kid on the Rams.
    That and a dynamic running back who can cut.

19. DD - Jan 18, 2016 at 11:05 AM

As this was largely an opinion piece, would have been good for you to add your take on the available FAs they might go after to improve these groups, especially as we know they will be active there due to their favorable cap position.

• Rich Tandler - Jan 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Sorry, I like to chop the topics up. Post on some possible free agent targets coming tomorrow.

20. Steve Morrow - Jan 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Still need a new owner, new year, same results.

21. ajbus1 - Jan 18, 2016 at 8:07 PM

What happened to Logan Paulsen? He was decent at blocking. Is his contract up?

22. smotion55 - Jan 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM

Nobody talking about a nose tackle, 1st 3 picks go d-line and center with the center being able to come in and start. This GM always finds secondary players in late rounds and RB and WR are very deep in the draft this year also. I am curious as to how many players on IR will be coming back and if GM will trade back for a couple more picks like last year. 10 might be his goal again this year also. Either way I am excited that we have a football man in charge of this. VERY REFRESHING FOR THIS OLD FAN.

23. boysheadcoach - Jan 19, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Scotty M is not a NEEDS drafter! He is a Best athlete/Football Player on the board at that time drafter.
    “you cant have too many good football players on the team regardless of position”. if needs coincide with best player it’s all good, but don’t expect him to draft just a need guy. Archives