Jan 14, 2016, 5:14 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, January 14, 61 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Five Redskins free agents who are unlikely to return
ILB Keenan Robinson—If you’d told me a year ago that he would be on a list like this one in early 2016 I would have said that you’re crazy. But a nagging injury and issues with fitting in to the defensive scheme led to him spending a lot of time on the bench this season. He could be a good player but he needs a change of scenery.
QB Colt McCoy—The Redskins need to get a younger backup quarterback with some potential. They were able to survive the downfall of Robert Griffin III because Mike Shanahan had drafted Cousins. While there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about Cousins’ future there are no guarantees. They need to get and groom a younger quarterback to be the backup and let McCoy, who will be 30 before the season starts, go to another team.
RB Alfred Morris—I’m not going to say that there’s no way Morris will be back. Perhaps there won’t be much of a market for back who has seen both his per-carry average and total rushing yards decline in each of the last four years and he and the Redskins will agree on a short-term deal. But it seems much more likely that he will find a team that emphasizes the zone-blocking scheme and move on.
TE Logan Paulsen—His season was shut down before it even started after he suffered a toe injury in training camp. There was talk that he might not have made the team had he not been injured. The team would like more speed and athleticism at the position and seem likely to move on from Paulsen, who turns 29 next month.
CB Will Blackmon—He did a decent job filling in for the injured Chris Culliver and, before that, DeAngelo Hall. Decent is fine for a guy you pick up in Week 2 of the season but not when you have the whole offseason to sift through options and find a backup to Culliver, who could miss some regular season time after tearing his ACL and MCL.
—The Redskins last played a game four days ago. It will be about 241 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 41; NFL free agency starts 61; 2016 NFL draft 105
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently