Jan 13, 2016, 5:05 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, January 13, 62 days before the start of NFL free agency.
Five free agents the Redskins should bring back
QB Kirk Cousins—He will not hit the open market. If he is not signed to a long-term deal by the March 7 deadline, the Redskins will put the franchise tag on him.
OLB Junior Galette—This should be a fairly easy one. Galette may not sign a deal for the veteran minimum like he did last August but he wants to return and likely will sign a team-friendly deal. If you have a question about what will happen to Preston Smith or Trent Murphy if Galette is on the team, the answer is, “You can’t have too many pass rushers.”
FB Darrel Young—Sure, he only played 112 snaps on offense all year. But he played on all four of the major special teams units and that should not be overlooked. Even of you don’t need a fullback often you do need one occasionally and Young is a good person to have on the team.
ILB Mason Foster—It would not be surprising to see Keenan Robinson move on as a free agent so the Redskins would be well advised to keep Foster around. He’ll be 27 in March, right in the wheelhouse for a McCloughan free agent, and he did a good job starting five games at the end of the season. They will know what they’re getting as they know he has been a solid locker room presence. Moe linebacker is a position they might want to upgrade but Foster can be plugged in until a draft pick can learn the position.
NT Terrance Knighton—Perhaps some expected a dominant force wreaking havoc in opponents’ backfields. They didn’t get that from Knighton but they did get a solid job from him as a nose tackle. The Redskins will probably pay more than some would like for him but large bodies who can move like he can are rare and therefore they are at a premium.
—The Redskins last played a game three days ago. It will be about 242 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL combine 42; NFL free agency starts 62; 2016 NFL draft 106
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Facebook Live pres. by Paisano's: Previewing London with Ryan Kerrigan
- Redskins vs. Bengals: London game time, TV channel, how to watch
- NFC East: Admitted domestic abuser Josh Brown released by Giants
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff