Need to Know: Redskins 2015 regular season superlatives

Jan 5, 2016, 6:04 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, January 5, five days before the Washington Redskins host the Green Bay Packers in a wild card playoff game.

Redskins 2015 regular season superlatives

Before we dive head first into the playoffs let’s take a look back at the 2015 season. As you know, most major sports awards are decided after the end of the regular season but before the playoffs start. Let’s pass out a little Redskins hardware here based on the 2015 regular season.

Offensive player of the year: Kirk Cousins—The hotter he has gotten over the past couple of months, the better the team has played. His most impressive stat this year was his 69.8 percent completion rate. It was the seventh best season a quarterback has had in that stat category ever. Honorable mentions: Jordan Reed, Trent Williams

Offensive newcomer of the year: Brandon Scherff—He was every bit as good as advertised. If he keep improving over the next year or two nobody will care that the Redskins used the fifth overall pick on a guard. He missed two snaps all year, one against the Bears and one against the Cowboys on Monday night. Honorable mention: Jamison Crowder

Defensive player of the year: Chris Baker—There were a lot of ways to go here on a defense that didn’t have any real stars and was in constant turmoil due to injuries. But Baker was steady throughout, getting six sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries, and setting an infectious attitude on the defense. Honorable mention: Bashaud Breeland

Defensive newcomer of the year: Will Blackmon—He wasn’t even on the team in Week 1 but he turned out to be invaluable to the secondary. Blackmon started 10 games and played some nickel. His presence allowed the team to move DeAngelo Hall to safety. Blackmon put on one of his best performances on Sunday. In the second half he picked off a pass with the Cowboys in a goal to go situation. Later he poked the ball out of Darren McFadden’s arm as he was about to score a TD. The ball bounced out of the end zone and the Redskins took over after the touchback. Honorable mention: Preston Smith, Kyshoen Jarrett.

Special teams player and newcomer of the year: Dustin Hopkins—Another player who wasn’t on the Week 1 roster. They wanted a kicker who could pound the ball into the end zone consistently and they found one in Hopkins. He booted 65 percent of his kickoffs for touchbacks and he was No. 8 in the league in net kickoff distance. Hopkins was solid on field goals as well, converting on 25 of 28 with two of his misses coming from 50-plus yards, kicks they likely would even have attempted before signing Hopkins. Honorable mention: Tress Way

Agree? Disagree? Dive into the comments and let me know!

Today’s schedule: Player meetings, no media availability

Days until: Redskins vs. Packers in wild card playoff game 5; Super Bowl 50 33

1. bk70 - Jan 5, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Rich, great list of awards for the 2015 season. The only thing I might add would be “Next Man Up” awards to Will Compton and Quinton Dunbar. The future is bright. HTTR

2. sidepull - Jan 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM

And…as far as new coaches added to the staff, Callahan, Barry, Fewell etc. I am saying Callahan gets the hardware with cutting sacks allowed, moving Brandon to G , and getting Moses playing lights out at RT, who by the way, gets my comeback player of the year vote. I do like the job Fewell has done with an ever changing landscape at the DB positions.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Yes, getting Bill Callahan away from the Cowboys was a double win.

• brucefan1 - Jan 5, 2016 at 5:07 PM

BINGO, thunder!

It’s hard to calculate exactly how much of a benefit that Bill Cal was for the Skins (but that won’t stop me from speculating!!) and a detriment it was for the Pokes.

And I like what Fewell did keeping that oft-injured defensive backfield performing adequately with castoffs, rookies & “transformers” (what else do you call Dunbar … “transnational”?) stepping up big time.

(Overall I think sidepull’s original post hit the sweet spot; those new coaches have been among the biggest MVPs of the team. Hope we don’t lose any of them to coordinator promotions elsewhere! Ooops … was that a JINX?!)

3. colorofmyskinz - Jan 5, 2016 at 6:53 AM

Very nice summary agree! Might need a rookie of the year – Preston Smith. He out played expectations along with Crowder. I don’t think anyone expected so many sacks out of him. 8 sacks, 24 tackles, 3 forced fumbles… Ranked 22 in the league in sacks.

Solid pick and just the beginning for him.

Moses should be on honorable mention somewhere. Great underdog breakout year. Will Compton another great undrafted practice squad player. Was waived and brought back even on practice squad. Huge win for Compton. He changed our run defense with foster.

Great year! HTTR!

• ET - Jan 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM

I’m so excited about Will Compton. Everything just started to click for him. He and Mason Foster really brought the thump to the ILB position, and deserve major kudos for it.

If the defense can stay moderately healthy next season and keep improving depth, they’ll be a force to be reckoned with.

4. colorofmyskinz - Jan 5, 2016 at 6:54 AM

I would add honorable mention to RGIII for his attitude in the first 6 games where cousins went 2-4. He could have cranked the drama up and he didn’t. Respectable. Wish him the best in another division I hope.

5. gasngo14 - Jan 5, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Agree with you list Rich! I was glad to see you mention Kyshoen Jarrett, he impressed me with the ability to play so well at different roles at different times throughout the entire season. Dustin Hopkins was a game changer and helped this team in BIG ways this season. Baker defiantly brings the attitude! We must give the entire coaching staff kudos for the developing of so many young players and newcomers off the streets this year and coach Gruden for handing the keys to Captain Kirk!

• goback2rfk - Jan 5, 2016 at 11:28 AM

GO BIG SWAGGY!! and his counterpart PotRoast!!

• brucefan1 - Jan 5, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Add Jordan Reed to that twosome, goback, and you got a great trio of Nutmeggers that add some real spice to the team! (Sorry …just hadda go there.)

6. Mr.moneylover - Jan 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM

Kyshoen Jarrett did so much for the defense we definitely took a hit by losing him hopefully the next guy can try to replace him…its go time ..time to take things to the next level

7. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM

Quentin Dunbar: UDFA wide receiver who switched to CB and we needed him!

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 5, 2016 at 9:58 AM

Err, Quinton. I knew I should have checked my spieling before hitting enter…

8. ET - Jan 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Not to getall negative, but on the flip side, who was the biggest disappointment this season?

Paea? Culliver? Griffin? Jackson? Robinson? Morris? Someone else?

• goback2rfk - Jan 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM

While everyone on your list was a disappointment and its hard to pick the biggest disappointment but I am going to say Kennan Robinson who has all but disappeared from the defense. After last season it looked as if Robinson could be a future pro bowler or at least a really good player. (Remember that hit on Tony Rhomo last season?) What in the world happened to K. Robinson?
      No real surprise with Paea he was going to be hit or miss.
      Culliver was not playing to his strengths as a bump coverage, physical, in your face CB. He was lining up 10 yards off the ball instead of playing up close and personal. I do not think the Redskins defense was playing to Cullivers strengths but overall he still did not play well at all.

• ET - Jan 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM

Robinson is my biggest disappointment as well. I thought he’d have a breakout year in 2015. Instead, it’s his former backup who’s on the upswing. Still not sure what happened, exactly, but I hope Keenan gets it figured out in the offseason.

Culliver was also a big disappointment this season, but the performance of a very banged-up secondary has to rank as a season highlight.

• brucefan1 - Jan 5, 2016 at 5:31 PM

I agree with all the above “disappointments”; holdover Robinson and FA signing Culliver, Paea, as well as Jeron Johnson. Those three off-season signings did seem to disappoint, but I hope they’ll pick up their games as time goes by and they find the cure for what ailed them.

Those disappointments may also speak to the uncertainty involved in dipping into the NFL free agent market in general; there are a lot of examples league-wide where whatever made a guy good in one system did not translate to another. I’m kinda glad now that Scot went small into free agency and BIG into the draft. They are both crap shoots, but the draft is a MUCH less expensive one. (And it looks like Scot may be better in the drafting department too.)

• dirtyrottenscoundrels - Jan 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM

• ET - Jan 5, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Roberts was a disappointment last season for sure, but did any of us expect anything from him this season after 16 games of mediocrity last year?

Maybe Chip Kelly will want him …?

• babyteal1 - Jan 5, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Culliver for $8 million a year..BIG disappointment!!

9. goback2rfk - Jan 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM

And Welcome Cary Williams to the NFC East Champ Washington Redskins

10. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM

My rookie summary:

Round 1(#5) Brandon Scherff – A high pick to use on a guard, but at least he’s a good one. We needed him.

Round 2(#38) Preston Smith – Smith’s eight total sacks on the season are the second most by a rookie in Redskins history.

Round 3(#95) Matt Jones – Had a great start, but fumbles and injuries have slowed him down recently.

Round 4(#105) Jamison Crowder – Wide receiver Crowder set a record for Redskins rookies with his 59th reception on Sunday.

Round 4(#112) Arie Kouandjio – Didn’t get to play because he’s behind Scherff, Lauvao, and Spencer Long at guard. I love our depth at OT and OG. (We need another center, though.)

Round 5(#141) Martrell Spaight – OLB Spaight was placed on season-ending injured reserve with a concussion on September 22.

Round 6(#181) Kyshoen Jarrett – Started 6 games for us at SS, has appeared in all 16. 39 tackles, 19 assists.

Round 6(#182) Tevin Mitchel – CB Mitchel tore the labrum in his left shoulder in August, was claimed off waivers by the Colts.

Round 6(#187) Evan Spencer – WR Spencer reached an injury settlement with the Redskins September 9 and he’s now on the Bucs roster.

Round 7(#222) Austin Reiter – Cut before the season started and then signed to the practice squad.

UDFA Quinton Dunbar – Dunbar played WR for the Florida Gators. During preseason, he switched to his HS position, CB. He started 2 games for us and appeared in 11 others. I think he’s going to be really good.

Summary: McGlue kicked behind and I hope he does close to this well in this year’s draft.

• theismann7 - Jan 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Nice summary!

11. Rob Chester - Jan 5, 2016 at 1:33 PM

I believe n Curt Cousin Come on Redskins lets play smart play hard kick some cheese head butt

• Rich Tandler - Jan 5, 2016 at 2:39 PM

The man’s name is Kirk Cousins, by the way.

• firesnyder - Jan 5, 2016 at 5:19 PM

Kirt Cuzzins

• firesnyder - Jan 5, 2016 at 5:20 PM

…and Coy Bacon.

• ET - Jan 5, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Cult McCow? He was a great Longhorn, but we’re glad to have him on the bench.

Robert Griffindor. The magic may’ve worn off in DC, but Jerruh Jones knows a wizard when he sees one.

12. YOU LIKE THAT - Jan 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM

This team does nothing but excite me in their quest for the Lombardi! Who would have thought they would make the playoffs? I picked them to go 6-10. And I was going to be happy with that record.. Scott M. and Gruden deserve huge credit for what they have got out of these kids.And of course the players deserve a huge Thank You! I have a feeling this team is special. I love that they have overcome everything that some folks have gone out of their way to harp on, week after week! Now they will play GreenBay, who does have a winning record. And they will win, and the same so-called fans will be negative. I have a feeling those fans would find fault if this team won the Superbowl… I need you negative peeps to go back and read the horse crap you wrote in September. Take a long look at yourself in sect.308 club level and think about your negative nonsensical opinions. Realize the majority on this blog know you are unhappy.I love my team, all the players and coaches. If someone underachieves, I just say next man up! I don’t throw no man under the bus. I’m just confident my team will outlast and overcome no matter what. I’m not team Robert or Cousins, but some of you who are should check yourselves.. With that said though, team Robert needs to stop the mouth and I would say apologize… Brucefan, there is a difference in offering Concerned criticism, and just being a know it all pompous person.I refuse to say his one of many names he uses. But you know who I’m referring to. Gasngo, sorry you got talked to by obvious know it all the way you did. This PUNK is done. Be Happy! Don’t Worry! HAIL TO MY WASHINGTON REDSKINS!! By the way I’m the same guy you made fun of for using Kirks YOU LIKE THAT as my name on here. You need to check your mouth son…

• Jax4 - Jan 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Great – Someone to come in and suck the life right out of the conversation by gloating about themselves……

• gasngo14 - Jan 5, 2016 at 7:43 PM

another new name?

• Jax4 - Jan 6, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Where have you been?

• brucefan1 - Jan 5, 2016 at 7:35 PM

“Brucefan, there is a difference in offering Concerned criticism, and just being a know it all pompous person”

Hahaha! LUV it!

Sorry bro … just gotta be ME!! (… keeping in step with your “song” theme.)

Btw, just a friendly suggestion (… which I’d make in private if I could — but I can’t, so here goes…); you might want to break that giant dense mass of type that you so typically post your comments in into smaller, easier to read paragraphs if you want people to bother to read them. Doing so would makes posts like the one above look more comprehensible and inviting — instead of daunting, which it is. (Dint yer writin’ teachurs lurn ya nuthin’?!)

Personally, I was gonna skip reading that “block” entirely — thinking that it akin to attempting to choke down shoe leather — until I glanced at your mention of my name, that is! Had to scope THAT out. (Thanks for the name-check, btw! I WAS hoping for one.) Now that I come to think of it tho, that’s just about all I read. Sorry! Got no taste for shoe leather.

Now keep in mind, I’ll be looking for improvement in the future! So hear me now and thank me later.

13. Chuck Saine - Jan 5, 2016 at 7:29 PM