Need to Know: Who will the Redskins face in the playoffs?

Jan 1, 2016, 5:32 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, January 1, two days before the Washington Redskins travel to Dallas to play the Cowboys.

Happy New Year!

Who will the Redskins play next?

Normally on Fridays here I discuss five players who need to step up for the Redskins to beat the upcoming opponent. But we really don’t know who will be playing for them on Sunday since some players will be held out and others could be ticketed for an early exit.

So let’s get out the $100 in imaginary poker chips and spread them out over the Redskins’ three potential playoff opponents and see what I think the chances are of each of them showing up at FedEx Field on the weekend of January 9-10 are.

Seattle (must beat the Cardinals and have to Vikings lose the Packers to be the No. 5 seed)$20 I think that the unanimous opinion of fans and media is that the Seahawks are the worst matchup for the Redskins so them being the least likely opponent seems to be a positive development. I think the Cardinals will take care of business at home and push the Seahawks to the six seed.

Packers (must lose to Vikings)$30 Don’t look now but the Packers aren’t exactly a powerhouse. They have gone 4-5 since their 6-0 start and Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 41 times. I think it’s very possible for the Vikings to go in there and beat them.

Vikings (must lose to Packers and have Cardinals beat the Seahawks)—$50 The Seahawks are seven-point underdogs to the Cardinals and the Packers are favored by three. I’m not exactly sure how those odds work out mathematically but I’d say that the chances of two home favorites winning are right around 50 percent. So that is where I’ll put half of my poker chips.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:55; Jay Gruden and Sean McVan news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:15

Days until: Redskins @Cowboys 2; start of NFL playoffs 8

1. JOHNNY B - Jan 1, 2016 at 8:05 AM

My thought is that Green Bay will lose. Green Bay is the better match up for us at home. Cousins plays better at home and Rodgers doesn’t. Their defense is the weakest of the 3 and we struggle against good defenses. It will be our best chance to make it to the second round. I would like to see us take the NFC and go to the show. Maybe next year . Myself as a fan like most of you at the beginning of the season we talk playoffs. Well this year it is here so now I am talking NFC championship. If the chips do fall the right way we can do it. HTTR

2. colorofmyskinz - Jan 1, 2016 at 8:06 AM

Rich not understanding your logic here. You are saying the Packers are not playing well and are likely to lose to the Vikings, in the $30 chip. Then in the fifty chip you are saying the packers are likely to win because they are home. So which is it?

I say Vikings beat the Packers at home and we end up playing the packers for $60. This outcome is regardless of what happens in Seattle and is most likely. IMHO

This will be a great outcome if it happens because Green Bay is our best matchup to win the first round. IMHO

Just my guess. HTTR!

• Rich Tandler - Jan 1, 2016 at 11:37 AM

There’s a difference between “very possible” (my words) and “likely to” (yours). So while you can’t dismiss the chances of the Vikings going into Lambeau and winning, I think that the chances are better that the favorites ultimately prevail.

• brucefan1 - Jan 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

“There’s a difference between “very possible” (my words) and “likely to” (yours).”

If I recall correctly, I think the bookies put that difference at just about 10 chips, fwiw.

(Which is actually worth “nuthin” cuz I just made it up. LOL Hey, I hadda tuff night! HNY to y’allz — and the Redskins!!)

• colorofmyskinz - Jan 3, 2016 at 8:26 AM

Using your words Rich you said it is very possible for the Vikings to go in there and beat the Packers because of poor play in the last 9 games and sack problems, in the $30 chip. And in the $50 chip you were saying the chances of the home team favorite winning (Packers), are 50%. It was just a bit confusing to me and hard to tell who you thought would win, Vikings or Packers.

Your explanation to my comments were more clear, that you value home team favorite position more than the last 9 game poor packer performance. Makes sense.

I feel the Vikings have been playing better and are peaking with a spark of a rising star Teddy, and the consistency of a beast Adrian P. They have a potent offense. Unless Rogers pulls one out of his you know what like with the Lions December 3rd… But the Vikings are not the Lions. I think the Vikings peaking will be more than the cheese heads can handle. Just an opinion.

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jan 1, 2016 at 8:22 AM

I think all three teams will be favored against us. I’m just very glad we won the division and have a home game.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday…

• brucefan1 - Jan 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM

“I think all three teams will be favored against us”

Which I would hope for!

Some of you might know my “home ‘dog” philosophy; they are usually a very good bet. And if the spread is 3 or less, that would be awesome, imho! (Because if you cover a 3pt. spread you know what the outcome will probably be. ;^} )

4. Skulb - Jan 1, 2016 at 8:37 AM

I’m hoping for the Packers, who looked absolutely pathetic in Arizona. We might even have a shot against them.

• ajbus1 - Jan 1, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Not me. I think it was just a bad game for Green Bay, Arizona is on fire right now. Rodgers would be tough to handle with our banged up secondary. I’d rather see Bridgewater and the Vikings come to town.

5. garg8050 - Jan 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Green Bay looks like the best matchup for the ‘Skins, though their o-line might be getting healthier. If they lose to the Vikings, they will be limping into the playoffs and would be ripe for the taking. I could see our offense put up well over 30 against that defense.

• colorofmyskinz - Jan 1, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Totally agree here! I don’t think packers can beat Vikings, they are on a terror as of late with teddy and Peterson. Hope the Vikings beat them up good to soften them up for us! LOL

6. ohioskins - Jan 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM

I agree, the Packers are the best matchup for us and seems right now to be the most likely scenario; although, I think we would do well against the Vikings also. The Seahawks appear to be our worst matchup, although it would be sweet to get a little playoff revenge against them. I do think we have an excellent chance of making it through the first round of the playoffs and getting to the division games. From that point on, we just see what happens because anything can happen. The 2011 Giants, who backed into the playoffs at 9-7, to do much either, but they got hot and went on to win the Super Bowl. I’m not saying we will duplicate that, but I’m not saying it’s impossible either.

• Ronnie - Jan 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM

My roommate is a Giants fan and he was saying exactly the same thing that you said!!

7. colorofmyskinz - Jan 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

I think we play and beat Green Bay in the wild card and then that puts us up against the Cardinals in the divisional. That would have the Pathers playing the winner of the Vikings and Seattle. Just saying…

• bangkokben - Jan 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM

The winner would have to be the Seahawks between Minnesota and Seattle in order for your scenario to work because the Vikings would be the THREE seed in this scenario.

Looking past the wild card. The Redskins travel to Carolina to play the panthers if both home teams win the wild card and travel to the desert to play the Cardinals if the Redskins win and the 6th seed wins.

8. John - Jan 1, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Personally, I’d prefer the Vikings. The last time the Skins played Green Bay, they got their tails kicked. Should have beaten the Vikings last year. How do you baffle Romo one week, then not go after a rookie the following week?

Seattle has had their number for sometime now. Percy Harvin caught 3 bombs for TDs that were called back in last years game. Not a good matchup for the Skins.

• ajbus1 - Jan 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM

I agree. I do not think Green Bay is the best matchup.

9. skinsgame - Jan 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM

GB or Minn and it doesn’t matter which. The Skins will beat either of them.

10. ADieHardSkinsFan - Jan 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM

Are there any updates on Junior Galette? I haven’t heard anything about him since August.

• Rich Tandler - Jan 1, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Undergoing rehab. I see his car here at Redskins Park a few days a week. We will see what happens with contract negotiations.

11. rtcwon - Jan 1, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Seattle – $0 Any money on this bet is wasted. Fans and media seem intimidated by Seattle but players and anyone who has watched all 15 of their games are not. Their “run of 5” looked good on the scoreboard and stat sheet but didn’t fool me. I would love to get revenge while they are smoke and mirrors but looks like Minnesota will get that honor. They will avenge their defeat as at least 4 and possibly all 5 of their best players on D who missed the Week 13 game are now healthy.

Minnesota – $8 While I give Seattle no chance in Arizona, I’ll give Green Bay at least a chance at home, against a divisional team they view as their little brother. Without going into detail on my gaming theory, I view hedging, buying points or teasing as cannibalizing your winnings but I will waste a “lucky 8” bucks on this outcome. Now that their best players on D are getting healthy, Minnesota is by far the team I don’t want to see at FedEx.

Green Bay – $92 Other than “any given Sunday,” Green Bay doesn’t have anything going for them. Everyone loses more bets than they win but I stay in the black by maximizing my winnings and would go all in except spending 8 before leaves me with 92; we all know what happened in 92!

12. edrebber - Jan 2, 2016 at 12:07 PM

Minnesota and Green Bay are playing for a home game the following week while Arizona is trying to insure home filed advantage for the NFC championship game, in case they play Carolina. Seattle isn’t likely to benefit from winning this game unless the 5th and 6th seeds advance to the championship game. Arizona has a bye the following week, so they can play their starters for a longer period of time. Arizona and Green Bay will win. The Redskins will have to play Seattle.

• Rich Tandler - Jan 2, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Well, if Arizona and Green Bay win, the Redskins play the Vikings.

• JOHNNY B - Jan 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM

If Arizona wins and Green Bay wins we play Minnesota

13. Thomas Eldredge - Jan 2, 2016 at 11:49 PM

Let’s go skins your doing great!! Just beat Dallas and our season will be 9-7. Great finish to prove we are playoff bound. Go Skins!!!!’ My team Archives