Dec 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Here is where the Redskins stand in Week 17 of the NFL season.
Record: 8-7, clinched NFC East title
vs. NFC East: 3-2
vs. NFC: 7-4
vs. AFC: 1-3
Key stats changes from 2014-2015
Rankings (through Sunday’s games)
Offense (yards/game): 348.3 (17th)
Defense (yards/game): 371.9 (24th)
Passer rating offense: 99.0 (6th)
Opp passer rating: 95.7 (22nd)
Yards/rush attempt: 3.6 (30th)
Opp. yards/rush attempt: 4.8 (31st)
DVOA through Week 16 (Football Outsiders): 0.6% (14th)
Top three storylines:
It’s in the bag—The Redskins took care of business in Philadelphia and wrapped up the NFC East title. They won going away and donned the hats and T-shirts in the locker room at the Linc. They still may finish 8-8 but nobody is going to apologize for grabbing a division title in a down year in the NFC East.
Start ‘em or sit ‘em?—They are locked into the four seed so the result of Sunday’s game in Dallas has no effect on the standings. There are some players, such as safeties Dashon Goldson and DeAngelo Hall, who probably will sit due to injuries. Jay Gruden’s dilemma is when it comes to players like Kirk Cousins or Jordan Reed, guys who are healthy now. Should the play them, risking injury? Or should he rest them, risking getting them out of the rhythm of playing every week.
Who’s coming to FedEx—It will be the Vikings, Packers, or Seahawks coming in as the Redskins’ first-round opponent. We won’t know the answer until we know the result of the Sunday night game between the Vikings and Packers. Here is the breakdown on what will happen with the various possible combinations of results on Sunday.
Last (regular season) game
Sunday @ Cowboys (4-10)—The Redskins ideal scenario would be to get some injured players the day off, get some players off the field after a few series of work, and come away with a win to finish the season at 9-7.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety
- Redskins' Cousins passing more often and more effectively on first down
- Number Crunch - Redskins offense looks poised for a breakout
- Center depth issues not new for Redskins - even with attempts to improve
- Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line