Dec 28, 2015, 6:46 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, December 28, six days before the Washington Redskins travel to Dallas to play the Cowboys.
Five numbers of note from the 2015 Redskins
137—In 2014 the Redskins were outscored by 139 points, scoring 301 and giving up 438. Through 15 games this year their point differential is minus-2 (354 scored, 356 allowed). That is a remarkable 137-point improvement, the equivalent of nearly 20 net touchdowns in one season.
63.6—The percentage of their red zone opportunities that the Redskins turn into touchdowns. That is the sixth best in the NFL and a substantial improvement over their 2014 red zone conversion rate of 47.9 percent.
120—The number of passing yards that Kirk Cousins needs to become the Redskins’ all-time single season leader in passing yards. He has 3,990 yards and the team record is held by Jay Schroeder, who passed for 4,109 yards in 1986.
5—The number of receptions that Jamison Crowder needs to set the team rookie record for receptions in a season. Crowder has 54 and Art Monk (1980) holds the record with 58. Crowder needs just two catches to pass Charley Taylor (55 in 1964) for second place. (Note: I am using the NFL’s definition of the term rookie here. In 1985 Gary Clark caught 72 passes in his first year in the NFL but he had played in the USFL so the league does not recognize him as a rookie).
47—The number of touchbacks on kickoffs that Dustin Hopkins has 14 games into his Redskins career. It also happens to be the exact same number of touchbacks that Kai Forbath had as the Redskins’ kicker in three years from 2012-2014.
—Today’s schedule: Players off, no availability
—Days until: Redskins @Cowboys 6; start of NFL playoffs 12
In case you missed it
- Tag coming for Cousins?
- Playoff scouting starts this week
- Tarik El-Bashir on McCloughan’s impact, RG3’s future
- 5 stats that show why the Redskins became NFC East champs
- A decade after Taylor did it, Hall seals game in Philly with scoop & score
- Tarik’s Take: No rest for Redskins after thumping Eagles to win NFC East title
- How Jay Gruden may handle starter dilemma vs. Dallas
- Notes and numbers—Redskins claim 600th all-time win
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley