Dec 25, 2015, 5:48 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 25, one day before the Washington Redskins travel to Philadelphia to play the Eagles.
Merry Christmas to all!
The week that was at Redskins Park
Andre Roberts is done for the season—This wasn’t a shocker as Roberts had been out for a few weeks and it seemed that the problem was more serious than the reported knee inflammation. It was a torn meniscus requiring surgery. Roberts should be ready to go by the time OTAs start but he may not be doing them in Ashburn. He carries a $5 million cap number for next year and the Redskins might not want to pay that for the 11 receptions he had in 2015.
Cousins on contract: ‘I want to be where I’m wanted’—The Cousins contract talk has started and will continue until something is done. I don’t see Cousins ever hitting the market. If the team is unable to come to terms on a multi-year deal with the quarterback I think they will franchise tag him on or before the March 7 deadline, which would pay him in the range of $19 million for the 2016 season. Then they will have until July 15 to work out a longer-term contract or Cousins would have to play out 2016 under the tag.
Despite blowout loss, Eagles defender issues warning for Redskins—This quote found its way into the Redskins locker room, just printed out on a piece of white paper and stuck up on one of the support columns. It’s something we’ve been seeing more of lately as Jay Gruden has been playing the disrespect card. Later in the week another Eagles defender guaranteed a win over the Redskins. Geez, guys, you’re 2-4 in your last six games. Get a grip.
Redskins sign a tight end prospect from Bills’ practice squad—To take Roberts’ roster spot the Redskins added a fourth tight end to the 53 as they signed Marcel Jensen away from the Bills’ practice squad. Gruden said that Jensen is someone who “might help up in the future” and he said that brining him in was not so much about this year but keeping him around for next year.
Jackson: ‘It’s just another game’—We all know that it isn’t your garden variety Redskins vs. Eagles game. It’s for the NFC East title and DeSean Jackson is getting heated up at just the right time. Although he hasn’t forgiven or forgotten Chip Kelly releasing him in late March of 2014 he played it low-key in talking to the media this week. He will let his play do the talking on Saturday.
—Today’s schedule: No availability, team travels to Philadelphia
—Days until: Redskins @ Eagles 1; Redskins @Cowboys 9; start of NFL playoffs 15
In case you missed it
- Cousins getting little help from Redskins’ ground game
- Redskins still concerned about Morgan Moses’ status vs. Eagles
- Fantasy Football: Week 16 rankings
- ‘What a baller!’: Kirk Cousins shows hilarious side while mic’d up
- Redskins OT Moses confident he will be able to play vs. Eagles
- Casserly takes an early look at the Redskins’ offseason needs
- Five Redskins who need big games vs. the Eagles
Follow Us On Twitter
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined
- Redskins preparing for Browns - without Josh Doctson
- Gruden: Redskins still sorting out offensive line changes
- Week 4 Redskins injury report: Three starters out of practice
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again