Dec 24, 2015, 5:13 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 24, two days before the Washington Redskins travel to Philadelphia to play the Eagles.
Five Redskins who need to step up to beat the Eagles
QB Kirk Cousins—He’s on a roll, with pass ratings of over 100 in five of his last six games including two of over 150. Now is not the time for him to have an off game. As noted here yesterday, the Eagles defense has been worked over lately so it is logical to think that Cousins will thrive. Since there is no reason to think that the running game will suddenly kick into gear Cousins will have to be the one to move the ball.
WR DeSean Jackson—It may not be absolutely necessary for him to go off with six catches for a buck-fifty and a couple of TDs. Cousins has other options as weapons. But it sure would make it a whole lot of fun, wouldn’t it?
LT Trent Williams—If the Eagles are going to get a pass rush it is likely to come from DE Fletcher Cox, who leads the team with 7.5 sacks, or OLB Brandon Graham, who has 6.5. They both line up on the right side of the defense, which means that Williams will be blocking one or the other of them on most passing plays. He’s been solid as a rock all year and he needs to keep it up.
OLB Ryan Kerrigan—Sam Bradford isn’t very consistent but like many quarterbacks if he has time to throw he can do some damage. He has some weapons like Jordan Matthews and Zach Ertz. The best way to make sure he can’t do damage is to have him on the ground and Kerrigan, who has been playing well lately, can be the one to put him there.
P Tress Way—How did the Eagles manage to win in Foxborough? With three return touchdowns, two of them on special teams. They blocked a punt and ran it in and Darren Sproles returned a punt for a TD. Way needs to boot the ball quickly put them high and deep but not so deep as to outkick the coverage and let Darren Sproles take one back to the house.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 12:05; Jay Gruden and Joe Barry news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30
—Days until: Redskins @ Eagles 2; Redskins @Cowboys 10; start of NFL playoffs 16
In case you missed it
- Jackson: ‘It’s just another game’
- Gruden: Redskins ‘dialed in’ as they start preparations for Eagles
- Odell Beckham: I dropped the ball on sportsmanship
- When the Lions tried — and failed — to intimidate Sean Taylor
- Dashon Goldson headlines list of Redskins’ injuries
- State of the Redskins, Week 16: The magic number is one
- Was cutting Jackson a costly mistake for Kelly’s Eagles?
- OPEN THREAD: Did Jordan Reed get robbed not making the Pro Bowl?
- Inconsistent Eagles, Redskins meet with NFC East on the line
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins Playbook: Determining rotation of Trent Murphy, Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith
- Martrell Spaight loses bet to Deshazor Everett - Instagram photo shows true disappointment
- Bonus #RedskinsTalk: Will Blackmon talks replacing D-Hall and Game of Thrones
- Need to Know: Tracking the lineup changes around Redskins Park
- Paisano's Facebook Live: Ryan Kerrigan takes your pre-Week 4 questions
- Browns WR Josh Gordon decides he needs to enter rehab
- Gruden presser wrapup: Redskins' Jackson should be ready for Browns
- Duke Ihenacho: Obviously I want to be playing but it's the coach's decision
- Signed off Redskins practice squad, center Austin Reiter could start for Browns
- Redskins have been protecting Kirk Cousins well