Dec 23, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Here is where the Redskins stand in Week 16 of the NFL season.
Record: 7-7, 1st in NFC East
vs. NFC East: 2-2
vs. NFC: 6-4
vs. AFC: 1-3
Key stats changes from 2014-2015
Rankings (through Sunday’s games)
Offense (yards/game): 343.3 (22nd)
Defense (yards/game): 370.0 (25th)
Passer rating offense: 97.0 (8th)
Opp passer rating: 96.2 (21st)
Yards/rush attempt: 3.7 (29th)
Opp. yards/rush attempt: 4.9 (21st)
DVOA through Week 15 (Football Outsiders): -3.0% (15th)
Top three storylines:
The magic number is one—The Redskins are one win away from a playoff appearance that nobody predicted back at the beginning of the season when many had them ranked anywhere from 30th to 32nd in their power rankings, picking first in the 2015 draft, and looking for a new coach and quarterback by now. Regardless, any combination of Redskins wins and Eagles losses totaling one will clinch the division for the Redskins.
You like that!—They appear to have found their quarterback, at least for the next year or two. Kirk Cousins has done what you want an inexperienced quarterback to do, get better as the year goes on. He has been one of the hottest quarterbacks in the game since Week 7, completing 77 percent of his passes with 16 touchdowns and three interceptions and a passer rating of 115.0.
Jackson heating up—It is no coincidence that Cousins’ production started to ramp up when DeSean Jackson got back in the lineup after missing six games with a hamstring injury. He picked a good time to have his best game of the season against the Bills. If he can keep it up the Redskins could be a dangerous team in the playoffs.
Last two (regular season) games
Saturday @ Eagles (6-8)—The only thing this game means is everything. The Redskins take the NFC East with a win. They are still alive if they don’t but this is last call to get in through the front door without any help.
January 3 @ Cowboys (4-10)—This game could be critical for the Redskins or it could be the January equivalent of a meaningless preseason game. We know it won’t mean anything for the Cowboys.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain
- Redskins one of the best in NFL at preventing long plays
- Redskins without two key offensive players at Thursday's practice
- A few plays here and there could have led to different results for the Redskins
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins shuts down report he's affected by criticism: 'Not accurate'
- DeAngelo Hall appreciates Brian Mitchell's response to Stephen A. Smith on Redskins comments
- Kirk Cousins has apparently never said a bad word in front of Jay Gruden