Dec 18, 2015, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 18, two days before the Washington Redskins host the Buffalo Bills.
Five Redskins who will have to step up to beat the Bills
QB Kirk Cousins—He has played exceptionally well at home, posting a passer rating of over 100 in each of his last four games at FedEx Field with nine touchdowns and no interceptions. With a struggling running game unlikely to suddenly kick into gear, he will need to carry the offense.
RB Matt Jones—Even though Cousins will need to have a good day, he can’t do it without some help on the ground. Jones did a good job of powering for yardage against the Bears when there really wasn’t anywhere to run. We also could be do for a big gainer on the screen pass against an aggressive Rex Ryan defense.
C Josh LeRibeus—Yes, I know this is not a comforting prospect. But Trent Williams said today that Ryan will dial up cover zero blitzes at any point in the field in any situation. LeRibeus will have to be sharp on the line calls to keep Cousins upright.
ILB Will Compton—When he was with the Eagles LeSean McCoy had some great games with the Redskins and some no so great games. When the Redskins contained McCoy it was because they swarmed to him when he had the ball and made the tackles. It will be up to Compton to make sure that the front seven is where it’s supposed to be and he will need to make solid tackles.
CB Bashaud Breeland—Bills WR Sammy Watkins doesn’t have a ton of receptions (39) but he has made the most of them. The second-year player has averaged 18.4 yards per catch and has scored seven touchdowns. He has the size to go up and get passes in traffic and the speed to go long. Breeland is likely to be covering him most of the day and will need to prevent Watkins from making game-changing plays. Plus he has had his hands on the ball a few times over the last several games; holding on to one or two of them would help the situation.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:55; Jay Gruden and Sean McVay news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:00
—Days until: Bills @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Eagles 9; Redskins @Cowboys 17
In case you missed it
- ‘Sacks are okay from time-to-time’
- Redskins WR Andre Roberts could need surgery
- Redskins’ Gruden: ‘We can’t look ahead of ourselves’
- NFL Fantasy Outsider: Injuries are shaking up the playoffs
- Fantasy Football: Week 15 rankings
- Former Redskins S Bacarri Rambo is making the most of his chance in Buffalo
- Cousins says he will learn from his mistake vs. Bears
- A bigger role for Redskins’ Ross going forward?
- Cousins’ 2016 price tag likely in $13-$17 million range
- Vegas predicts fall from first place for Redskins
- Will Foster and Compton start for the Redskins for the rest of the year?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined
- Redskins preparing for Browns - without Josh Doctson
- Gruden: Redskins still sorting out offensive line changes
- Week 4 Redskins injury report: Three starters out of practice
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again