Need to Know: Notes and numbers—Redskins fighting to the end

Dec 8, 2015, 6:45 AM EDT

Jackson-TD-vs-Cowboys

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 8, five days before the Washington Redskins play the Bears in Chicago.

Notes and numbers from Redskins vs. Cowboys

—Kirk Cousins was 22 of 31 passing for 219 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions. That comes to a passer rating of 101.4. He is the first Redskins quarterback since at least 1960 to post a passer rating of 100 or better in four straight home games.

—For the second time this year the Redskins fell behind in the last two minutes of the game before rallying to tie the game in the last minute. Prior to today, they did it in Atlanta. In all they have scored to tie or take the lead with less than 45 seconds to play in four games this year.

—The Cowboys converted just one third down in nine attempts. It was the fewest third-down conversions allowed since a game against the Giants in September of 2011.

—DeSean Jackson scored a touchdown on a 28-yard pass from Cousins in the fourth quarter. It was the third straight game with a touchdown reception for Jackson. Jordan Reed also has a streak of three straight games with a TD reception this year (Weeks 7-10). The last time the Redskins had at least two different players with three-game TD catch streaks was in 1991.

—The Redskins averaged 2.8 yards per carry on the ground. For the first time since at least 2000 they have averaged under three yards per carry for three straight games (2.8 vs. Giants, 1.2 vs. Panthers).

Today’s schedule: Jay Gruden news conference 3 p.m. (via teleconference)

Days until: Redskins @ Bears 5; Bills @ Redskins 12; Redskins @ Eagles 18

1. bk70 - Dec 8, 2015 at 6:50 AM

What are your thoughts on Hall as Safety, with Foster in the middle and Breeland as CB?

2. goback2rfk - Dec 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Biggest loss of the year. An embarrassing loss to the Matt Cassel led Cowboys. They havent won a game all year without Romo until they met the Redskins. Horrifying loss, offense was disgusting. Dallas Defense stunted and blitzed Cousins into oblivion. Kirk rattled, running game stinks, offense layed an egg.

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Youthful offensive team.
      Matt Jones running right by Lee for his sack. Stunts that blew past Scherff. Credit Cowboys with a good game plan that was certainly aided by some untimely officiating. Garcon’s PI was one of the worst calls made all year and if you’re looking for PI why aren’t Terrence Williams’ and Dez Bryant’s gentle one-arm shoves called? They couldn’t get separation without using their hands.

Since we couldn’t do it, here’s to Green Bay for finishing Dallas’ season.

• brucefan1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM

“Dallas Defense stunted and blitzed Cousins into oblivion”

True, true, true goback.

Now, ignorant me, I was waiting for Gru & Grew to start pulling out all those time-honored plays that offenses have been using since the days of leather helmets to counteract blitzes and make their opponents pay for doing so!

It’s almost they completely caught the Skins with their pants down, totally non-expectant of what Joe Barry’s father-in-law had dialed up, and unprepared to counteract it.

(That said, I’m not sure Marinelli’s plans would have worked HALF so well if they didn’t have SEAN LEE on their side last night. Did he prove to be a one-man wrecking crew, or what?! Now THAT is the kind of player that I’d love to see the Skins target in 2016 draft. Imho, it is job ONE.)

• ET - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I was disappointed by the (mostly) conservative offensive play calls in this game. Cowboys were mostly solid defensively, but the Skins’ playcalling was uninspired, as was much of the on-field execution.

The final two minutes was exciting, sure, but the burgundy & gold should’ve put this game away long before Jackson’s return gaffe. The Hopkins kick after DeSean’s TD was one of the few that he didn’t boot into Touchbackville this year—clearly that makes a difference with our coverage unit.

3. colmac69 - Dec 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Disappointing for sure but time to move onto chicago (1-5 at home)

4 teams who aren’t very gd….all could lose nxt wk…..dall at gb…..Nyg at mia…philly vs bills

Following wk dall vs nyj….Nyg vs caro….philly vs ari and wash vs bills

All could lose that wk as well

Lots of football still to b played so no point in getting too low after last night

• brucefan1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:52 AM

“move onto chicago (1-5 at home)”

Bears are 1 – 5 at home? Whoa. How’d I miss THAT, baby?!

Guess that’s a good sign — but then the Skins were 5-1 at home going into last night ….

(Btw, colmac, I think you had the right of it by sleeping first and THEN watching the game after waking. I tossed and turned all night! ;^} )

• colmac69 - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Ha ha…watching first half this morn I was thinking xactly that….

People nd to chill out on here…..we lost close game (as majority of games do in league…play here..mistake there)…

Sometimes u give credit to other team esp their defense (gave up 12 to tb…10 to miam….16 to us….only gave 19 to carolina as they had 2 ints ret for td so they bn playing well defense )

Gruden getting stick on here and various other outlets for last night but last wk those same critics somehow magically disappear when we win….funny that…….

U run too much on first dwn he gets flack for not passing enough…we pass to much it’s not running enough…people can’t have it both ways…some think they can however….

Imo lack of success either throwing or running ball on offense in games we lose seems to lead to lots of 2-10,,,2-11,,,,2-9 etc….games we have success in we get 3,4,5 yrds a gain on first dwn….not xactly Einstein to figure out why offense struggles in some games….

• Jax4 - Dec 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM

You make some good points, but geez your posts give me a headache to read. Please type out your words fully

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Cowboys were 3-8 going into last night game…records don’t matter if your coaching staff get out coached…jay gruden fail to make adjustments witch cost a team another lost…we let another winnable game slip threw our hands simply because jay gruden play calling and his dumb decision to try to turn Sean mcvay into a offensive coordinator

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Gruden was to stubborn with the run but the coach to blame would be Callahan for not adjusting, if you are inclined to blame a coach anyway

4. bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I’ve got the over/under on Jackson fielding punts the rest of the year at 0.5 attempts.

And I’m taking the under.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM

“Gruden does not regret putting Jackson in at punt return”

Well…I DO!
      ~

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Whatching Desean move his hands as he was waiting for the punt acknowledging the crowd reminded me of what an utter failure Dieon Sanders was as a punt returner here. The worst punt return in Redskin history. Perhaps hyperbole but probably not.

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Eagle fans probably got a kick out of that. Not only did we lose to our bitterest rival we also put smiles on the faces of out other rivals. Ugh! Charlie Brown getting the ball ripped out from under him: Ughs.

Silver lining: still in 1st place. (Waving imaginary flag weakly) Woohoo!

• brucefan1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I too regret it too, but I would be OK with DJax returning punts again — he has been great at it.

THAT snafu probably won’t ever happen again. My biggest concern would be getting him killed back there!!

(Btw, anyone else scratching their heads at that whole exchanging-autographed-jersies with Dez [aka “the enemy”!] sideshow on the field right after the game last night? Y’ever heard of sucha thing?!!)

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:14 AM

That stuff has been happening all over the NFL for the last 5 to 10 years. There’s a “brotherhood” among players. There is no more of the Diron Talbert mentality.

• brucefan1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM

“That stuff has been happening all over the NFL for the last 5 to 10 years.”

Whoa! NEVER saw anything like that before.

I even get a little queezy sometimes with all the yucking-it-up that goes on after most games — especially one like DJax had last night! (But then that disastrous punt return had probably gone outta his head by that time, having been completely negated by his TD catch. No?)

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Last week I saw OBJ give his gloves to a skins player after the game, can’t remember who tho, but yeah that does happen all the time.

5. skinsgame - Dec 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM

McVay should take some heat on this too. Little was done with scheming to counter the Dallas defensive game plan. I kept waiting for a screen against their blitzes or running Reed into Lee’s area to keep him honest but it never happened. Dallas played one on one against the wideouts and little was done with that advantage as well. Kirk was rattled early and seemed to be timid for most of the game.

• brucefan1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Agreed totally, skinsgame.

(Actually if I had just read down a little farther this morning, I would have seen your comment and just copy and pasted it :40 later in my reply to goback — and saved myself some work! LOL)

• ET - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM

“Dallas played one on one against the wideouts and little was done with that advantage as well. Kirk was rattled early and seemed to be timid for most of the game.”

There were a number of plays where DeSean and/or Crowder were open on mid-to-long routes, and Cousins was feeling pressure to get the ball out quickly. Didn’t seem like adjustments were made to take advantage of of the man coverage OR give Kirk some extra time to make those reads.

And: I strongly dislike LeRibeus at center. Argh. He is not helping the run game at all. Or pass protection.

6. metalman5150 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:12 AM

I just need to stop watching football bc this team is going to be the death of me.
    D-Jax stupidity / redemption; Offensive Pass interference all day called on, Garcon; team -name haters; can’t win football games; can’t even have more fans in the stands than the opposing team (or maybe the opposing team’s fans are just louder?) who cares. we stink. I’m going into recluse mode. My life would be better off if no one knew that I was a redskins fan, loving in cowboy’s country. it’s my fault that i choose to cheer for this team. i am the one who puts myself through misery of rooting for a losing effort. that’s all the redskins will ever be, so long as we live in a PC world.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Most the redskins fans don’t have faith in jay gruden and kirk cousins because he lied to get the job and nothing in his offense have work against good teams and on top of that the way he treated rg3 and baby up kirk cousins even when he makes mistakes that cost games so that’s why you see most of the other teams fans in the crowd plus this team been up and down all year can’t expect fans to come out when you gotta worry if your team is gonna show up or not…redskins fans basically had nothing to cheer about last night except when djax caught the bomb

• Rich Tandler - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Put it to bed. Actually “most” fans think things are headed in the right direction. If you want to express your opinion, fine, but pretending that you speak for “most” fans is silly.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Not gonna put nothing to bed..guess you like the others don’t wanna hear the truth…I bet you everything you got redskins won’t never have a decent record under jay gruden..even Andy dolten was happy when jay gruden left because he said he felt that jay gruden was slowing him down and since then Andy dolten had put up career numbers…and I know and herd a lot of fans in DC that said they want jay gruden gone and that we need a defense head coach if redskins gonna take big steps…ppl need to face the facts jay gruden is not the right answer for this team

• mauriceatwood - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:36 AM

You can count me in as one of the Redskins fans who believes that Gruden needs to be gone. I am friends with plenty of Redskins fans and none of them have anything good to say about Gruden. The man is in over his head where he is and needs to be replaced. So so most of the other assistant coaches. The inconsistency with the Redskins is a direct reflection of their leadership or the lack thereof. Just because the Redskins have won 5 games this year doesn’t mean there has been any improvement. Sure, there is 1 more win that last year, but this team is just as awful and uninspired as they were last year. If the Redskins and Cowboys could have changed places last night the Cowboys would have blown the Redskins out. The coaching staff for the Cowboys is head and shoulders above the Gruden lead Redskins coaching staff. What a complete joke of a head coach this man is. He may get another year as head coach, but next season will be the exact same thing that we’re seeing this year and then he will finally meet his coaching fate in DC and be shown the door.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:08 AM

@mauriceatwood…I don’t think I can take another year of jay gruden throwing away games with his lack of adjustments… 6 wins wouldn’t even be enough for me to keep jay gruden around that’s why redskins fans be tryna sale they tickets instead of going to the game because they know what to expect from the team average or flat out bad…DC is the heart of the redskins if DC not on board with what the redskins is doing I herd some Maryland fans starting to say I don’t know about jay gruden they tryna give jay gruden a real chance but he’s making it hard to root for him…my reply was I don’t blame you I was jay gruden biggest support last year when ppl was already jumping ship on jay gruden I was on the record saying its only jay gruden first year with no talent but this year this team is better then what they record show even with the injured players

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:26 AM

And you can count me as a redskin fan who thinks that Jay has done a great job changing the culture around here and thinks that anyone who can’t see that simply refuses to. First you wanted art briles, now you want a defensive coach. You’d make a terrible gm with all your flip flopping but you’d make a great mini Snyder

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Rg3 fans are selling their tickets. The Redskins had 5 game home winning streak, sole possession of 1st place, playing the hated Cowboys on National television, with a chance to take a strangle hold of the division, on a nice weather night, and still sell their tickets. Pathetic! Just like your spin. You think all those bamas that sold their tickets knew that “Jay Gruden was going to lose this game.” Chad Johnson has words for you: “Child please!”

• timwillhide - Dec 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM

So Bang did you buy any tickets for the game? Where you there?

• mauriceatwood - Dec 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM

@ Mr.moneylover, I for one refuse to buy tickets to come watch the Redskins because of their inconsistency. I learned my lesson last year after purchasing 5 tickets to watch the Tampa Bay game and we were crushed. I did attend the Carolina game this year since I live in NC and look what happened. I could have saved $500 and watched that debacle on television.

These people who believe that Gruden has changed the culture in DC are out of their minds. This guy does not have the support of the locker room like many people believe he does. Nor does he do a very good job of preparing the team for competition. How many times is he going to play that we have to win this game card in order to fire the team up? As the head coach you have to get creative in motivating the team, especially when the team continues to lose under your guidance. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Redskins don’t win another game this season. If that happens some of these people singing the praises of Gruden right now will change their tune a bit. If not then they will next season when it’s the exact same thing as we’ve gotten this year and last year.

I am not anit-Kirk Cousins, and he has played much better, especially in terms of the interceptions he was known to throw. That being said, when you draw a play book up that is designed to suit the ability of your quarterback then typically that is what happens. Gruden obviously didn’t do this for RG3. My take now is that he can’t do it because he doesn’t have the know how to do it and what we’re seeing in DC now is what we’re going to get from Gruden. The lack of and in some cases complete absence of adjustments by the offense and defense demonstrates that. This poor quality of coaching is easy to scout and work against by opposing coaches who actually do know how to coach on the NFL level. Changed culture or not nothing will replace coaching knowledge or the lack of knowledge regardless of whether the team players believe in you or not.

• brucefan1 - Dec 9, 2015 at 1:16 PM

WOW!

There was this great conversation on this topic yesterday and I TOTALLY missed! That’ll learn me to go to a movie for the bargain matinee!! (But I did enjoy “The Good Dinosaur” … mainly cuz I LOVE good CGI animation, and this flick had it big-time!)

So I know now one’s reading this comment a day late, but I just wanna go one the record about this thread — for posterity! LOL

7. Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM

I came to the conclusion that redskins won’t make the playoffs…you can’t blow games you suppose to win in December… Regardless of what djax did at the end of the game jay gruden had time after time to adjust his scheme but fail to do so until late in the third quarter if they had more play action involved instead of having kirk cousins sit in the pocket most if not all the first half then they would’ve won…its funny how they lose this game the week after it was known that jay gruden job will be safe…defense played a awesome game once again our offense disappeared… And ummm wasn’t jay gruden job was to bring his high point offense here he got Jordan reed who wasn’t in the game plan as much you got djax you got PG and you got crowder there’s no excuse you got enough weapons to average above 20 points a game…must win next week or they lose they first place spot

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:23 AM

If you believe his brother, you’d think the tablets had something to do with not quickly adjusting.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM

That’s not an excuse Dallas was moving the ball down field on us but we went two straight drive without even getting a first down…they could’ve did a hard count to make Dallas defense jump off sides since they was blitzing like crazy …this goes back to me saying jay gruden fail to make adjustments… If both sides didnt have a tablet you need to draw it up like they use to back in the day…no excuses tablet or no tablet

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Or they couldve use matt Jones in the screen game to soften up Dallas defense….jay gruden got out coach bottom line they scored only twice last week and and they scored once this week the offense taking steps back

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:50 AM

The hard count is a valid point. Dallas never did show the ability to stop the boot. So the Redskins could’ve kept running the boot until they did stop it. And maybe they would’ve with ball at their own 25 with the score tied 9-9 and two minutes left. I guess #11 had other plans. As for screens… Going into the game Dallas only gave up 17 screens all year. John Gruden pointed out in the pre-game how the cowboys run their man defense with one free LB and one deep safety and have Lee usually on the back. Not likely to be successful. And it’s not like they didn’t try screens. They just weren’t successful. But keep banging your drum after the losses and gripe about the lack of perfection after wins – never gets old.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM

They did one or two screens to the wrong side of the field…the crowder screen was just bad the right side of the line was getting beat when they suppose to throw the screen to that side they didn’t and when they tried it Dallas sniffed it out…jay gruden simply got out coached again and playing down to other teams…defense won last week game it was time for our offense to step up and they didnt

• mauriceatwood - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM

The Redskins don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. I love the Redskins, and as much as I hated that we didn’t make the playoffs two times when we finished 10-6, I’d rather not qualify at 10-6 than qualify by being a sub .500 division winner. Plus, Jay Gruden doesn’t deserve the right to list NFC East division champion on his coaching resume. He has been out coached so many times by NFC East coaches with last night being yet another example that he doesn’t deserve anything associated with an award like that. If and when he ever does anything remotely close to preparing his team consistently to compete then and only then should he deserve an award like that. The Bengals for better without him and the Redskins haven’t improved hardly any. If there is any improvement it’s because of the couple of assistant coaches who were brought in like Bill Callahan. Gruden’s legacy in DC is the inconsistency that afflicts this team from game to game. Played bad against New England and good against New Orleans. Played bad against Carolina and good against the Giants. Played horrible against Dallas. First half of the season was basically the same way. Played bad against Miami and good against St. Louis. Never ending story with the Jay Gruden lead Redskins.

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Dude, you sound like someone that hasn’t watched a game all year. The Bengals? What does that have to do with the Redskins? They still haven’t won a playoff game with or without Gruden. Callahan deserves the credit? Credit for what? Less than two yards a carry on 1st down. His newbie o-line not being prepared for the stunts? The fact that they were manhandled the entire game – except the jumbo tightends that actually made their blocks in the run game. And doesn’t McCloughan deserve the blame for not getting a tight end that can block in the run game?

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Nobody should blame coach bill c. Because two of our O-line went down early this year and he basically plugged in guys who shouldn’t be in the NFL…josh lebrius shouldve been cut when they cut Chris chester…Spencer long got benched before the season started for not making a big enough progress…jay gruden play calling was flat out bad…Darell young didn’t play no snaps on offense and Alfred morris only got 8 carries witch is the opposite of what they did against the giants last week…jay gruden game plan was flat open predictable and bad …cowboys knew he was gonna run the same old plays

• mauriceatwood - Dec 9, 2015 at 11:29 AM

bangkokben, I have watched every game this season. Sounds like you haven’t with all due respect. The Bengals are mentioned because that is where Jay Gruden came from. They got better after Gruden left playoff win or not. Callahan has done a good job all things considered, but if you think otherwise then fine. McCloughan may deserve some criticism as well, but the lack of a blocking tight end has NOTHING to do with the entire team being prepared for competition when it’s time to compete. Against Dallas we had letdowns on offense, defense, and special teams. Take away the three turnovers and that game was a blowout loss. Gruden is the head coach and that makes him the focal point. He has not done a good job regardless of what some people insist otherwise. It’s one thing to play well and lose, but to play bad and lose as consistently as the Redskins have done under Gruden is problematic. When they Redskins are bad they are really bad. It doesn’t make sense to play well one week and really poor the next. Why can’t we run of 4 or 5 consecutive wins like other teams around the league do? For me it’s a simple question to answer and the answer is Jay Gruden.

• bangkokben - Dec 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. I can’t agree with about anything you said. Hey, at least we’re both rooting for the same team. Now let’s get to some of your stuff…

How many teams have won 4 0r 5 in a row? Considering HALF the teams in the league haven’t won 6 games, very few. Currently just the Panthers, Chiefs, and Cardinals. Then there are the Rams, Saints, and Falcons with current losing streaks that bad. How are the Bengals betrer? Because you say they are? Because Dalton and Green are more seasoned? Because their defense hasn’t missed Mike Zimmer? The Bengals are the same as they were. Last year they were a wild card team, the year before (with Gruden and Zimmer) they won the division. Marvin Lewis has NEVER won a playoff game – before, during, and after Jay Gruden. Might as well call Marvin Lewis, Tracey MacGrady. Stop with the Bengal BS. If you’re going to look at them, then look at them.

Callahan deserves time but HE is in charge of the run game that doesn’t work. The only reason you give him a pass is because you want him to coach next year.

Dallas did nothing Monday to indicated that had they not turned the ball over they would’ve gotten any more that one or two FGs. The only reason they had a TD is because the defense had to let them score to get the ball back. It’s that type of “conclusion” that makes me wonder if we’re watching the same game.

8. bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM

December 7, a day that will go down in infamy. A day in December where the Redskins had sole possession of 1st place.

9. warpath1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Three drive stalling imaginary penalties!!! Officials won the first half

• gasngo14 - Dec 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM

I agree !! no excuses but the officials killed us big time and we didn’t help ourselves on top of it. D Jax fumble was BS because the ground can’t cause a fumble and that is just what happen his hand/ wrist hit ground and the ball came loose period!

• bangkokben - Dec 9, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Yeah. I was a little confused by that as well. I know you can use your off hand to stay up but I was always told that if the hand that is holding the ball touches the ground, your down. Usually, however, in that instance the ball touches the ground as well.

10. gurnblanstonreturns - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM

I hope Scot McCloughan has seen enough.

I wish the play count were available so I could know the exact number of times Jay Gruden decided to surrender an eligible receiver and go with Compton at TE (remarkably, there were occasions when he surrendered two eligible receivers with Compton and Arie at TE). Rod Marinelli must have been smirking inside, saying to himself – candy from a baby. A real NFL coach looks at his decimated TE corps and devises a game plan using the quite versatile, often effective Darrel Young in imaginative ways to block, run and catch (being eligible and all) instead of the mind-blowingly idiotic “jumbo” package Gruden treated us to last night. There were flashes of brain activity from Gruden when the Skins moved the pocket and did a couple other things to move the ball, but these were brief interludes in one of the most inexplicable game plans I have ever seen. It is not much of a simplification to say that Marinelli had only to run one blitz package all night to derail Gruden’s entire offense.

The defense played well enough to win any NFL game (3 turnovers, yielding 9 points until giving up 10 on short fields at the end – giving up the touchdown was the only way to stay in the game), and the special teams blundered maddeningly in the last two minutes with Jackson’s fiasco and the terrible kick and coverage on the last kickoff return. There were any number of mistakes and penalties by any number of players that can be pointed out. But, make no mistake – this game was lost because Jay Gruden is helplessly, hopelessly in over his head. The Skins will never, ever, ever go anywhere with Jay Gruden. Never.

I hope Scot McCloughan has seen enough.

• mauriceatwood - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:56 AM

The absolute and complete truth written as eloquently as possible. I too hope that McCloughan and Snyder have seen enough of this. Unfortunately, the reports are that Gruden has already been told he will be back next season. Not looking good for the Redskins fans in the foreseeable future barring a miracle of some kind.

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM

How many times have you naysayers come on here saying that we need to run the ball more and should go to a bigger line with fewer receivers? If Scot has seen enough of anything then wouldn’t it be the need to supply TEs? Gruden didn’t injure Paul and Paulson and fail to do anything about it other than trade for carrier.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM

You can’t get everything you need in one off-season he focus on defense last off-season I’m pretty sure it will be all offense this off-season

11. ericstylezz - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM

My takeaway from that awful game is that Kirk Cousins is about as good as Matt Cassell. And I’m fully aware he’ll never play another snap for us but RG3 would have won that game last night. Receivers were open but Kirk gets so rattled, the protection was good enough I saw D Jax open and screaming for the ball. Funny how RG was “taking all those sacks” and that’s his fault but we’re playing half our snaps with an extra o-lineman on the field now

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Exactly…. Ppl don’t want to admit that tho…kirk cousins missed a wide open desean Jackson down field and kirk cousins simply over look him

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Yes because RG3 never got rattled and always connected with his receivers, you guys are so funny with how you remember his play.

• ericstylezz - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Didn’t say that but at least he was fast enough to escape sometimes if he did get rattled. Also, when KC is completing passes the receivers are wide open man. Pass protection is way better… I’m just being realistic, the entire offense is better and with alright blocking I’m just 100% sure that he’d produce better looking results. We’ll never know the truth though so I was just stating my opinion

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Then be realistic and point out that one of the reasons the line looks better is that cousins makes them look better with his pocket awareness. Also be realistic and admit that Rg3 is slower now than in 2012 and was getting chased down by DE’s last year. Compare Kirks sacks to RG3 last year behind the same line and then come here and be realistic. Also, to say that Kirk only completes passes to wide open receivers shows that not only did you not watch the game last night, you haven’t watched one all season.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:09 PM

@hail74 kirk cousins ain’t make the O-line look good last night did he???? Nope so that’s BS did he make the O-line look good when we face the panthers ?? Nope…with this O-line rg3 can put up more points then kirk cousins… The pass protection is way better then what it was last year kirk cousins missing wide open receivers with better protection then what rg3 had…ppl fail to forget last year when rg3 came back from injury he made progress putting up 26 and 35 points against two tough teams then his O-line gave up

• ericstylezz - Dec 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM

What are you talking about? You can’t just accuse me of not watch games like I’m not trying hard enough as a fan or some thing. I’ve seen them all, if they were good games I’d congratulate Kirk and crew just like I did last week. I’d just appreciate some consistency- if all that stuff you said is true then why didn’t we score more last night???? We hasn’t he ever won an important game or a road game???? His pocket awareness is ok man but he stares down receivers and he isn’t fitting the ball into tight Windows all the time it’s normally an open man running relatively free after play action. You can’t just defend him to defend him- we lost against a team who everyone else has beaten without romo and it wasn’t the defenses fault. Not to mention like I said before this is my opinion you can’t argue with me boy

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Ok then don’t say your being realistic if your just gonna base stuff of of your opinion and not facts, boy.

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:34 PM

And why is it that you RG3 fan boys slap every lose on Kirk but when Rob was playing it was everyone else on the teams fault? What is your realistic opinion on that piece of hypocritical nonsense?

• John - Dec 9, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I’ll take Cousins over Cassel and a lot of NFL quarterbacks any day. They need to abandon the run on 1st down. Go to a 1 back, 1 tight end, 3 receiver spread and alternate Jones and Thompson. Spread it out, so the other teams can’t load the box and throw to set up the run. The tight ends we have are not dependable blockers. Some have said use DY but if the tight ends can’t set the edge because they hold or block the wrong guy, why use DY? Kind of defeats the purpose. At least both Reed and Carrier can catch and get yards. Jackson, Crowder and Garconc can all win one on one and that’s your best option.

12. skip36 - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Why does everyone want to blame Gruden, it seem to me that McVay shoulder the blame since he’s the offensive coordinator, is name is never mentioned when it comes to the play calling, his inexperience as an offensive minded coach shows up when he doesn’t adjust his game plan during the game, especially when the opposing defense stifles the offense to just field goals, he should be replaced period.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:11 AM

But that’s jay gruden playbook…if he wanted to fix this problem then he should let Sean mcvay go…jay gruden gives the final say of the game plan so its kinda his fault as well

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Both are growing into their positions and the best this organization has had since Gibbs. Shanahan and son could scheme a good game plan but their people skills were about at the same level as a 7th grade girl. The elder lost his edge (ask the guys who played for him in Denver), didn’t give a rat’s arse about special teams, and was 14-34 in three of his four seasons (24-40 overall). All the while building the team in his image. The younger has been an OC in Cleveland and Atlanta since the Redskins – a glowing resume of mediocrity. No talent in Cleveland; too much talent in Atlanta. Before that we had Jim Zorn.

Let’s remember where we’re coming from, folks. Until, there is a bonafide head coach THAT wants to coach here. Let’s give Gruden the same amount of time we gave ol’ lobster face before we hire the next Jim Zorn.

• mauriceatwood - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Say what you want about Jim Zorn, but he won 12 games in 2 years as coach of the Redskins. Gruden won’t accomplish that.

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM

He still could. Zorn did fine with Gibbs players until the wheels fell off the o-line midway through his first season. After starting 6-2, Zorn finished what? 6-18?

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Jay gruden might get along with the players but that don’t mean nothing because at the end of the day those players want to win games…its stupid to put sean mcvay at OC …Bruce Arians calls plays for the Arizona cardinals and been successful ever since… Jay gruden need to take control of his own playbook …jay gruden should not be back next year…the Oakland raiders are better then us Derrek Carr is better then kirk cousins can anybody explain that ???? We have a good enough defense to win more games then we did but our offense has been a no show for the second straight year…beating Tampa bay saints and giants are easy teams to beat

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:39 AM

bang, bang, bang. Same drum beat.

Now you got problems with the Raiders? Derrick Carr is supposed to be better than Cousins but they are pretty equal. 80% of NFL GMs would take Carr over Cousins. First, what Oakland does or doesn’t do has zero to do with the Redskins. Second, how does having an equal record but being in 3rd place in your division equate to being better? Lastly, there is a thing called context. As soon as you can better understand this concept, you can put away your misplaced rage and appreciate the improvement that YOUR team is making.

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Why do you think Derek Carr should be worse than Cousins? Why is it that New England can get a pass for losing two straight and one at home to the eagles( a team some on here called the least talented team in the league) simply because of injuries but some fans here think the coach and qb should be canned despite all our injuries? Lerib shouldn’t be on a roster in the nfl and is starting at C.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Its does kirk cousins is in his forth year and Derrek Carr is only in his second year…even with our injuries we are a better team we have most of our guys healthy on offense and still can’t put together two solid game plans to win back to back…plus jay gruden can’t make adjustments win q game plan goes wrong for him and other teams know it and they take advantage of it…if I’m defensive player on the team I’ll be mad as hell at jay gruden and sean mcvay for not putting together a better game plan …defense get three turnovers and the offense only get 3 points off of that…I think jay gruden put his self back on the hot seat with that lost…I’m not gonna believe that report that jay gruden is safe not unless scot m. Come out and say it his self after the season…right now its looking like they gonna beat they self so no playoffs…I hope to hear from scot m. After the final game he gives me hope I don’t think he will come out and say to anybody weather a coach or player is safe

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Derek Carr is also in his second year as a FT starter, cousins is in his first. Cousins is also in his second year of grudens offense. Should teddy bridgewater be better than mariotta or Winston?

• ET - Dec 8, 2015 at 2:19 PM

“Shanahan and son could scheme a good game plan but their people skills were about at the same level as a 7th grade girl.”

Hah. True, sadly.

The Lobster is not a people person. Shanny the Elder played no small part in the Skins cultural dysfunction. Let’s give credit where credit is due.

13. hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM

The hypocrisy is in full swing today. For years people were saying we need to get younger and build through the draft. Guess what were younger and counting on those young guys but they’re making rookie and first year player mistakes, as would be expected. People say we should run more with bigger lines and fewer receivers, then complain that we did so. Gruden failed to do this or that but it was clear that the oline under Callahan failed last night. Why give him a pass when you consider he coached for the boys last year so if anyone had some insight to their techniques it would have been him? You really think Scot watched that game last night and thought it was Grudens fault? Reasons we lost, in order. 1 Djax punt return. 2 ST coverage unit on ensuing kick off after game tieing score. 3 multiple drives stalled because of poor officiating. 4 oline failing

• bangkokben - Dec 8, 2015 at 12:06 PM

That’s how I saw it last night as well. The crawling out of the woodwork to bash the coach, QB, or the water boy after every loss is tiresome.

The Redskins could’ve had the ball with two timeouts at their 29 yard line with a 1:40 left and the score tied 9-9. Plenty of time to hold the ball until the end for a game winning FG or hit Jackson for the WINNING TD if the Cowboys were going to give him one-on-one. People act as if the Redskins stalled on “this drive” and gave the Cowboys the ball back with 44 seconds. They had just stopped the Cowboys on a short 11 yard drive and were in perfect position for the victory.

• colmac69 - Dec 8, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Comparison btwn cousins/carr off top of my head

Cousins started 26 games

Completion 68.6%
      yards 3006
      Tds 17
      Ints 10
      Qb rate 92.7

Carr started 28 games

Completion 63.8
      Yrds 3170
      Tds 26
      Ints 9
      Qb rate 97.4

Stats are based on 2015 season

Interesting that carr in his second yr has more starts than cousins in his fourth

Are we that surprised Mr money is on bumping his gums bout Jay gruden…..give him one thing at least he consistent in his opinions of gruden…just a pity he never shows up and gives some credit when we win…

So predictable on here whenever we lose a game usual suspects are out in force….like a broken record…..

We all have opinions…….fine but ultimately it’s down to one man to determine if gruden back and by all reports it would appear he will b back……people on here will just have to live with it if it happens…..

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 1:26 PM

You are correct, how long did it take for mrmoney to post a comment last week after the win? It was a ghost town on here.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Unlike you I have a life…and I wasn’t happy either last week because jay gruden kept the giants in the game by just scoring two touchdowns…I’m on the record saying the defense won that game not the offense…last week we didn’t score no points off 2 turnovers this week we only put up 3 points on turnovers

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Can you explain why we not scoring off turnovers since you basically saying you know why and its not jay gruden and kirk cousins

• hail74 - Dec 8, 2015 at 1:40 PM

I just checked out stats on nfl.com and Mrmoney’s argument is insane. Kirk is putting up better numbers than a lot of quality vets and Carr is putting up better numbers than elite guys.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Yea at home but not on the road…yea he’s OK at home but flat out bad on the road…but the last two weeks the offense struggle to score points when the defense keep giving the offense the ball

• colmac69 - Dec 8, 2015 at 3:44 PM

For what it’s worth I agree scoring pts off turnovers is concerning and has bn prob all yr

Play calling has bn questionable at times but I think a majority coaches in league have similar probs especially when bout 20 teams have 6 wins or less

U want gruden out fine by me…I got no problems with u voicing your opinion….but credit has to go around when team win and play well in all facets of game…don’t think in any of our 5 wins have u come on and had any positive stuff to say……

Some on here are more critical than others….some can see bigger picture…others see what they want to see…others think we worst team in history…others see football for what it is…it’s only a game and win/lose life goes on (till nxt wk anyway)

Enjoy Donald trump as your nxt president!!!!! I hear he got some xtreme views

14. JOHNNY B - Dec 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM

A good amount of the problems that the Redskins had was play calling. Running a 1st or 2nd down plays on 3rd and 6 or 7. Trying to run when they were stopping the run. Being predictable (run plays with multiple tight ends and that’s the only times that they used multiple tight ends ) letting Dallas know what we were doing. Not letting Cousins open up the pass game. Also not having our o-line ready for the game by preparing them for Dallas’s defense. With better coaching with the offense the game would never of come to the Djax fumble.

15. ajbus1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Some of these comments, man… I’m disgusted with how fair weather and hypocritical this fan base has become. Maybe it’s just the internet bringing out the worst in people, as it seems to do, but what the hell happened to this fan base? For years we were known as one of the most passionate and loyal fan bases but now it seems we have one of the worst. Get it together people. And I’m talking mostly to the RG3 crowd. Get over it. It’s unfortunate how his career went here but it’s over and it’s not Kirk Cousins or Jay Gruden’s fault. The kid got hurt, demanded that he be a pocket passer only, couldn’t make a pre-snap read to save his life, and isn’t able to run NFL level schemes. And before you label me a Cousins apologist, know that I’m not convinced he is the future QB either. Get it through your heads and stop this flip-floppy, fire everybody BS. That’s what Snyder has done since he got here and we see what that got us. The team has made progress through a legit GM and what he was given. The only way for that progress to continue is to stay the course. Firing everyone and drafting another QB will only keep us right where we’re at. Learn to stay behind the team and give them a chance to grow. Was last night’s game well coached? NO! But making sweeping changes is not the answer. Why do people have to take such an extreme point of view? Let’s hope the whole team learned from that tough loss and is able to get better. There’s still games to play and OUR Redskins can still win the division.

• Curtis Mimms - Dec 10, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Great post! Also people are upset because we lost to the Cowboys. They look at 3-8 and think the Cowboys are bums. The Cowboys have far and away the most talented roster in the NFL East. The only difference now is that Romo isn’t behind center. Dez had his 1st really healthy week of practice and that fave Cassell 1 more week of getting acclimated to the offense, especially with Dez. Both teams played a good hard hitting defensive game. It is what it is!! They came out on the short end. Fans need to get a grip and keep it moving. In a rebuilding year, they are in the thick of the NFC East
      title race. If the season ended today, they would be NFC East champions. Let the season play out before you blow everything up! Everyone likes the Dan Snyder approach!

16. goback2rfk - Dec 8, 2015 at 7:41 PM

What fair weather are you referring to? Last time I checked, the skins were like 3 and 13, 4 and 12, and now 5 and 7 respectively in the last 3 seasons. Seems like its stormy year round.

• ajbus1 - Dec 8, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Haha! Nice one! I just get tired of the knee-jerk over reactions that we hear almost daily but especially after a loss. It’s almost as if Snyder himself has created multiple profiles to get online and freak out. We’ve waited so long to get a good GM in the house and rebuild the team properly but some people don’t see that. We gotta continue to be patient.

• goback2rfk - Dec 8, 2015 at 11:19 PM

I am patient. I have no other choice, the Redskins force patience into the fans. I will say the GM is legit but he is not the all mighty. Some of his picks have not been great and others have been wonderful. I am not going to act like he has hit a home-run with everyone of his personnel decisions because no one is that good.
        I think giving Scott M a final grade at all his picks for the season would be a good article at the end of the year.
        There has been some goodies but also some big let downs.

• colmac69 - Dec 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Think if u look back at his time in San fran he missed on quite a few selections there….it’s gonna happen no matter what…so law averages decrees he will miss some here

But he got more right than wrong especially in correct areas….u look at San fran then seattle and what he did there and the success they both had it proves he can build winning teams

Players,,coaches look at that and think this guy is a winner and we trust he will take us to nxt level…u prob find players will b willing to go the xtra mile for success…think we can see this progress in small doses this season

That’s how majority on here can see bigger picture and not just look at remaining games to judge the GM on…….imo we are in better place than other 3 teams in our division over nxt few yrs

17. gasngo14 - Dec 8, 2015 at 7:52 PM

mrmoney take down your RG3 posters already!!!!

18. John - Dec 9, 2015 at 1:19 PM

To many folks expected Dallas to fold up like a lawn chair and blame Gruden. After losing 8 straight, they were due to win one. Their defense is not that bad. Desean should have taken what he could get instead of trying for the home run. That and the fact that this team has been successful in late game situations, they would have been able to get a field goal and closed the game out. That and if the special teams did not give up the long kick return giving Dallas ideal field position. Made it to easy at the end. To many pass interference calls and not capitalizing on turnovers. Lots of little things.