Dec 4, 2015, 5:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, December 4, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night football.
Gruden not fazed by extra rest for opponents
The Redskins will face the Cowboys on Monday night. Washington last played on Sunday against the Giants while Dallas played three days earlier on thanksgiving. It will not be the first time this season that the Redskins will have faced a team with considerably more rest before the game than they had.
The Redskins played the Jets, Bucs, and Giants (the most recent game) when those teams were coming off of their bye weeks. And when they played the Patriots they were coming off of their bye but New England had played a Thursday night game the week before so they had only a few days less time off than the Redskins did.
Jay Gruden was asked if he thought the Cowboys had an advantage with the additional days off to heal their bumps and bruises and get some extra time to game plan. As you might expect, Gruden was not making any excuses in advance.
“Not really. I think we have all the games on tape,” said Gruden. “Obviously, we played them twice last year. They have a couple days of rest to get in some healing, I guess, but overall, it’s not that big of an advantage. Usually, you give your team a couple of days off. You know, we’re going to give our team an extra day off this week. I think both teams will be well-rested and ready to roll.”
The Redskins are 2-1 against teams coming off of the bye, beating the Giants and Bucs and losing to the Jets. They did lose to the Patriots but it likely would not have mattered if New England had played the day before. So it’s hard to make a case that the Redskins have been all that adversely affected by having to play with less rest and preparation than their opponents.
—Today’s schedule: Open locker room 10:30; Practice 1:20; Jay Gruden and Joe Barry news conferences after practice, approx. 3:15
—Days until: Monday night Cowboys @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Bears 9; Bills @ Redskins 16
In case you missed it
- Cousins: ‘I try to be genuine’
- Redskins’ Ryan Kerrigan stops overthinking, starts racking up sacks
- Five Redskins sit out Wednesday practice
- Fantasy Football: Week 13 rankings
- Remembering some of the worst playoff teams in recent NFL history
- Redskins’ starting linebacker needs MRI on foot
- Vegas gives odds on Redskins vs Packers in Wild Card game
- Redskins in search of consistency
- Redskins DB’s show versatility in dime package vs. Giants
- How important was the Redskins’ players-only meeting?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play
- Redskins vs. Lions Live Updates: Scores, stats, analysis, highlights
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground
- Redskins vs Lions Preview: 5 things to know as Washington goes to the Motor City
- NFL reportedly fines Redskins tight end Vernon Davis for jump shot celebration
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve