Need to Know: How important was the Redskins’ players-only meeting?

Dec 3, 2015, 5:04 AM EDT

Redskins-huddle-pregame

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 3, four days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night football.

Five thoughts on the state of the Redskins

—Yesterday I presented three options the Redskins and DeSean Jackson will have regarding his future with the team. What I didn’t do was take $100 in imaginary poker chips and split them according to the chances I think of each of the three options coming to pass. I’ll got with $20 on him staying on his current contract, $30 on him getting cut and $50 on him getting a new deal with some guaranteed money and heavy on workout bonuses and per-game roster bonuses.

—I think that players-only meetings are sometimes overblown events but I don’t believe that the importance of the one the Redskins had last Saturday was overrated. This team has had issues with its mindset ever since I started covering them in 2009. With the exception of the seven-game winning streak in 2012, their results have always been less than the sum of their parts. To me, that’s a problem that emanates from above the neck. The players needed to get on the same page and the ones who have played in Super Bowls needed to impart some wisdom. And they need to keep it rolling with more than a one-game pop out of the meeting.

—John Keim had a good post about Jay Gruden and his relationship with the players. Football is a people business and a big part of a coach’s job is relating to his players (just as is the case with any boss at any job). You should check out the post but two quotes caught my eye. This one from DeAngelo Hall: “You can’t help but notice him joking around with this guy or that guy. He’s not just talking to [DeSean Jackson] or Trent [Williams] or big-name guys. It’s everybody. He jokes with [Robert Griffin III] even to this day. It’s not something where I bench him so I won’t talk to him anymore.” And this one from an unnamed player: “It helps when you win a couple games. It could change if we lose a couple in a row.”

—In the post Keim says that Gruden has been assured that he will be back in 2016. Since the Redskins have now won five games they have improved on their record from last year. While Dan Snyder has been accused of having a quick trigger finger, he has never fired a coach after the team improved its win total from one season to the next. Gruden should and will be back.

—What about Kirk Cousins? I’ve found his refusal to say even a token, “Sure, I’d love to be back if things can be worked out,” when asked about his future with the team to be somewhat odd. I don’t get the impression that he has completely soured on the organization although he certainly could have some bad feelings over what has been a rocky ride with the Redskins. I think that eventually the natural tendency of a quarterback to want to stay in a system where he has had some success, especially one who is still developing, wins out over any ill will that may have been created. But I’d be a heck of a lot more confident about predicting that if he would give the slightest hint that it’s what he wants to do.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:35; Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30

Days until: Monday night Cowboys @ Redskins 4; Redskins @ Bears 10; Bills @ Redskins 17

1. colorofmyskinz - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:35 AM

Players only meeting important for this team? YOU BET! This team has developed one of the worst losing cultures in the NFL. Snyder is directly responsible for that culture. This is a statement by the team, not the leaders, that we want to win. Probably a first in 15-20 years. This meeting showed me that the players care and believe – finally!

I have to say for any person (Gruden and Scot) to come into this organization and to successfully change this culture, they deserve whole lot more credit than what they have been given. The meeting is an indicator of a changing culture from Snyders organizational disaster he has created. YOU BET THIS WAS A BIG DEAL!!!

And all it took was bringing in a real GM and benching RGIII for his narcacistic, locker room spoiling behavior. I hope Snyder has learned his lesson about staying out of football decisions, meddling and undermining his leadership, and playing player favorites.

BEEP…. BEEEP…. BEEEEEP…. I finally hear a pulse in this patient that has been dead for decades.

HTTR!

• realfan82 - Dec 3, 2015 at 10:33 AM

you people kill me trashing RG3 every chance you get. It’s you folks that make me wonder the true motives of the baching. Why can’t you dumb fans and the media except the fact that both QBs are a part of this team. Who constantly bashes their 3rd string because their first string is playing well? This is the problem in america, you dummies have to find something to divide over. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t care if it’s a practice squad player or the waterboy, they are apart of the team so quit bashing!!! HTTR!!!! Got root for the crygirls with that mess.

2. sidepull - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:49 AM

Interesting. A lot of the articles have focused on what a Cousins contract would look like, how much should they pay him, what is he worth, his quality of play, his confidence, etc. But I had not really thought that he might not want to be here no matter what. Thats certainly a possibility. I just always thought he would be here provided he showed improvement. I bet other teams are going to want to take a look at him, why not? He can win games. Believe me, if he takes nose dive these last 5 games then who knows? He might want to light out of here. One thing for sure, Gruden has stuck by him through thick and thin. Well its going to certainly be an audition these last 5 games.

• colorofmyskinz - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:53 AM

If they were smart they would lock him up with contract prior to the 5 game audition. They have enough tape.

• Nectar collector - Dec 3, 2015 at 7:02 AM

I agree colorz. Lock him up before have to franchise him and do this all over again next year. All management needs is for cousins. To kill it. Make playoffs and we r screwed. Cousins will b top dollar

• bangkokben - Dec 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Top dollar is not being screwed. Top dollar means we found our guy for the present and foreseeable future. That $16.7M designated for #10 and fits oh so nicely under the cap just goes to #8 – even if he exceeds expectations a requires a franchise tag there would be room for the VERY MINISCULE chance the organization had to do that.

Being screwed is having the wheels come of the bus: the team loses and gets routed by similar competition, is unable to beat division foes, and Cousins plays poorly. And then we’re starting over. (See, there is still something for Stephfan to root for.) Now what are the chances of that happening? The opposite of me – SUPER SLIM!

3. bangkokben - Dec 3, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Rich brings it!

– At this point I like DeSean’s contract where it is for next year. Maybe the team and player don’t so much. Don’t care. Let’s see how these last five games play out (or six or seven games). Then we can cross that bridge. He’s an integral player to the success of that offense. Who knows for how long? I like the one year left. If he stays healthy…

– Complete agreement about the players only meeting phenomenon. In the past 15 seasons the ‘skins must have had at least a half of dozen players only meetings if not a whole dozen as i seem to remember one team having three such meetings in one season. I like that players are taking ownership. Maybe that’s a new thing. At least we’ve got a group of guys (mostly brought in this year by McC) that see a good thing and want to take it as far as it can go.

– Kudos for Rich for mentioning Keim’s piece. It was good work but when I read those two quotes the other day, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Players like that Jay is one of the guys but also know that that isn’t easy (perhaps awkward) if the team loses.

– Jay here next year? Has anybody been saying this? Of course they have (your truly for months now) but salacious speculation is sooo much more fun and believable to a significant portion of the fan base.

– Kirk walking? I think I heard that one from someone close to me as well. I don’t see it happening but if I was him, I wouldn’t indicate anything other than what he has indicated. Why should he? I don’t think Kirk is playing a leverage game – although I would. He’s a Midwestern guy that has a father battling a life threatening disease. Maybe he wants to keep all his options open in case he can be closer to family? Maybe like many Midwesterners, he hates east coast culture – although NOVA is the mildest form. Maybe he doesn’t want to always be competing against the ghost of Robert Griffin III or trying to justify his presence to a portion of the fanbase that will never see him the same? Who knows but we got six or seven or eight games to figure that out. (Or just five.)

• ET - Dec 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I’m doubtful that Cousins is ready to walk or is all about the next paycheck. At the same time, he may’ve been counseled to keep his cards close to his chest. Nothing wrong with that.

He’s doing the best thing for himself anyway—playing well, demonstrating increasing confidence, showing some leadership. Given the current state of NFL quarterbacks, Kirk should be in a good bargaining position in the offseason, barring a complete implosion.

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM

He never show anything and the only reason why he got the job was because he look good against the second unit in the preseason…he haven’t won against a tough team yet…so if he scared to compete against rg3 or is scared of rg3 he should not be our franchise QB non of the great never had that mindset…kirk cousins should welcome competition if he have to go against rg3 next summer…if ppl think colt McCoy is a viable backup they clearly wrong and as so as jay gruden because colt mccoy is smaller with a weak arm and run just as much as rg3 and get hurt easier and faster then rg3

• bangkokben - Dec 3, 2015 at 12:11 PM

You are SOOO FUNNY! Mr.funnylover you should be.

I never suggested that Kirk is afraid of RG3. How you draw that conclusion is …funny. Does he seem scared to compete now? I was suggesting he MAY not want to stay where there are a bunch of joker fans that don’t appreciate him. Kinda like the first few years for Donovan McNabb in Philly. Hell if I know.

As for how he got the job? That’s pure funny. You’s at practice, you’s at the doctor’s with Robert? Child please?! But believe what you want cuz that’s what you’re goin’ do anyway.

No tough teams, yet? Of course not. Once “Kirk” beats them they are redefined. I understand WHY you want RG here but WHY would RG want to be here? He just loves the DC traffic? C’mon man. Funny, funny, funny.

In case you hadn’t noticed the priority of a back-up is diminished behind Cousins. He gets rid of the ball and doesn’t soldier his body out there like Griffin. Robert wants to take hits and show how tough he is. Cousins is more like Eli and wants to keep his jersey clean. Guess who stays healthy? The only reason McCoy was even on the field this year was for garbage hand-offs against the Saints.

So keep up the jokes. They’re hysterical. And since I know there is a cousin lover inside of you somewhere, chew on this:

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM

I’m giving you my opinion if you don’t like it then maybe I should wait until you get off ya period…you can’t appreciate a guy that never took advantage of the opportunities that he had…let’s not forget he still have a INT problem if you really wanna keep it real the defense won us that game last week not kirk cousins

• bangkokben - Dec 3, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Bra. I know it’s your opinion. I like your opinion. It is always somewhere between possible inside connection with a player or a friend of a player or a local rap star who may have a connection (basic friend of a friend of a friend stuff) combined with a solid dose of conspiracy theorist. It is utterly unique and no one brings the opinion like you. Most of the time I just laugh to myself but often I find myself compelled to respond. But in this case you responded to my opinion and then distorted it.

As far as I know, you are the ONLY one that thinks that Robert will be competing for the starting Redskins QB next year. That to me sees like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. And just like Linus, I’m rooting for you even though I’ve never heard of the Great Pumpkin. Something about your earnestness and that ever so slight voice in my head that says that YOU have an inside source. Call me crazy.

• skinsgame - Dec 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM

“…local rap star..” lol

• hail74 - Dec 3, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Once again, RG3 is 0-8 against defenses that finished year in top 10. Why hold Kirk accountable but not Robert MrMoney?

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Ummm because the guy got injured last year and you also forgot redskins had been one of the worst O-lines in the NFL plus rg3 never really knew how to read defense until this off-season kirk cousins was ahead of rg3 in that area…when rg3 had a offensive coordinator in his corner kyle shanahan he made big plays jay gruden didn’t really wanna work with rg3 and didn’t want to start rg3 he always wanted to work with kirk cousins since day 1 he wanted rg3 be a backup but Dan synder didn’t want that cause jay gruden said in the interview he can fix rg3 but change once he was hired

• hail74 - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:10 PM

What’s more amazing? The lengths you will go to to explain away robs poor performances or cousins good performances? You would think after awhile you would just start rooting for the guy that’s accomplishing everything asked of him right now, not 3 years, 2 concussions and another major ACL injury ago.

4. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Dec 3, 2015 at 8:32 AM

I think the Giants missing 2 O.L. (including center, an important position as we are finding out ourselves) and losing a 3rd in the first quarter had a lot to do with how things turned out.

~

• bangkokben - Dec 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM

The Giants are a one dimensional team. They cannot run the football. Therefore, we did not have to stop the run or be wary of play action passes. Both of which this defense struggles with. The defensive coaches deserve credit for putting together a good game plan on limiting the Giants potent passing attack. Sure injuries have an effect, but before Dunbar went down with the finger injury, that was a clinic.

As a reminder of how bad Eli played.

• sidepull - Dec 3, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Dallas line is healthier. Lets see the Redskins get after it with those guys and we have something cooking!

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Dec 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Exactly. Matt Cassel isn’t good, let’s beat him.
        ~

5. rvaskins - Dec 3, 2015 at 8:37 AM

I think you’re reading too much into Cousins not saying anything about his future with the Redskins. He’s focused on this year and what he needs to do today. He has the entire off season to talk about next year.

6. goback2rfk - Dec 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Cousins is going to the highest bidder. If someone offers him more I bet he is outta here in a blink of an eye. As Rich pointed out Kirk does not sound like a guy that really wants to be in DC. They treated him like sh|t during the Rg3 debacle years. If I was Kirk I would say 3 years 52 million or I am outta here suckers!

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 11:15 AM

That is a crazy number for a player who havent won anything…if he do decide to leave that’s why they kept rg3 on the roster for a year to groom him so if kirk cousins do decide to leave redskins won’t be starting from 0 again with a new QB…i herd jay gruden rg3 made great progress and they wanna keep him as kirk cousins backup next year…and I’m not surprise jay gruden and rg3 getting along better cause they both already know they gonna be back there will be tension if rg3 was a distraction but he’s not he comes to work and do what he gotta do to get better…and the players still love the guy everybody that spoke about rg3 has been very positive… Plus redskins gonna have a big amount of money to spend in free agency of course scot m. Gonna reward players that play good…but he’s also gonna reward the players whose important to the team…weather ppl know it or not rg3 has a part in us winning games this season

• kenlinkins - Dec 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM

“Every time I want to call it a game, You want to call it a business”! (from North Dallas Forty). I agree, Cousins will follow the money (it is not personal, it is only business). Today, the supply and demand has QB’s cost going up. If Cousins can get the Redskins to 8-8 or 9-7 and win the NFC East his price tag will increase more than most would believe and IMO he will not be giving any home team discounts to the Redskins. His “Do you like that” burst at a reporter leads me to think that Cousins still has some problems with the Redskins to work out. Cousins just may be holding the golden ticket in March 2016 and it is going to the highest bidder.

• warpath1 - Dec 3, 2015 at 12:33 PM

i think the “you like that” was directed to the reporters who bash him in their articles

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Ding ding ding correct….kirk cousins not worried about his contract… The contract that redskins gonna offer is gonna be flexible for both sides in case kirk cousins don’t workout…scot m. Is a very smart guy he not gonna hurt or slow down is own team

• John - Dec 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Crazy offer. If they can’t agree to a mutually acceptable number, they’ll franchise him.

• goback2rfk - Dec 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM

If they franchise him the number is up over 16 million for the year. The following year they would be in the same boat again. Cousins is going to get that 14 – 16 million a year range. 3 years 45 million with 18 mil fully guaranteed. Kirk has done plenty this year to deserve big money including several game winning drives, setting historical records as a Redskins QB, and also setting a perfect passer rating for one game. Wake up guys, Kirk is going to get that big boy money. Take a look around fellas the other options are sh|t. There is a shortage of qb’s and the guys coming out of college can barely make it in a pro style offense. Go Cousins!

• JOHNNY B - Dec 3, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I think that a 2 year 25 mil with 5 mil guaranteed with a option to renegotiate after next year. Got to see what he can do next year before a big contract. He is playing at low level starter right now. If we win out or just lose 1 more then I can see a 12 to 16 mil per year for 5 years. Team friendly of course. But not with just 5 wins and no road victories.

7. Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM

A source said kirk cousins contract is already set up and its setup to were it can help both sides…basically kirk cousins gotta make the pro bowl next year to get extra money…its kinda setup like breeland contract…if you have certain amount of touchdowns or you make the playoffs you get the extra money in the contract…its all about reaching goals…and like I said before I think rg3 gonna stay as a backup and I still believe he’s gonna get his chance to play its gonna be up to him weather he stay prepared…I said it since the off-season rg3 needs a year to groom his techniques and learn how to read defense seen he never did that its gonna take More then one off-season to learn that and kirk cousins was ahead in some area since he was a dropback QB in college… They still need to improve the Offense scoring 20 points a game not gonna win you many games but redskins know this is a rebuilding year and all pieces not in place yet scot m. Is still building a bully

• John - Dec 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Yeah,
      RGme will get an opportunity to play. Somewhere else!

8. kenlinkins - Dec 3, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Rich: IYO what is required to have the right “Mindset” to be a good NFL player in todays NFL? IMO both Rambo and Amerson were cut due in part to not having the correct mindset even thou both had talent / skills that allowed them to start on other teams. You are round NFL players most of the year, in general what do the better teams have in terms of “mindset” that keep them at the top. Can a top level college player change his demeanor after 3 or 4 years or must the wrong mind sets be weeded out in the draft process ( can the Redskins get better at both finding the right mind set or changing mind sets, i.e. players, coach’s, GM, scouts).

9. Skulb - Dec 3, 2015 at 11:58 AM

The Skins, most of the media and the fan base don’t deserve any consideration from Cousins. He has been treated with zero respect from everybody for years. The only one who has treated him decently is Gruden. If Cousins stays it’ll be for Gruden, not the organization and certainly not the fans.

• ET - Dec 3, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Not sure I agree with that. Has Cousins been treated any worse than other QBs during The Snyder Age of Dysfunction? Robert had it pretty good in 2012, but things have been a little rough since then. Far as I can tell, the coaches and players have treated Cousins well. The fanbase in most towns with a losing team is fickle, so no surprise there.

• Skulb - Dec 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM

At least Griffin was given a chance. The amount of nonsense people were saying in August about Cousins was quite astounding to me, as if you can judge a guy after seven relief games scattered over three seasons on a poor team in disarray, with two coaches and a permanent media circus surrounding the team.
        I was right here trying to say that Cousins needed, and was going to get, 16 games this season to show what he could do and that Gruden was safe for next season if he could get to about six wins. And for that I was called names every day. I was even called a racist on CSN for saying that Cousins probably was a better fit for Gruden’s offense back in July.
        I don’t know if people caught it but Skip Bayliss and Stephen A Smith went way out on a limb the week before the Tampa game, accusing the Skins and Jay Gruden of racism for supporting Kirk Cousins. This was prompted by race pimp extraordinaire, Bomani Jones. Unfortunately for all of them Kirk gave a good performance in that game and they all slithered away with their venomous comments. Neither of them have apologized yet.

So no. I have never seen a QB in his first season as a starter be treated to this much garbage courtesy of the media and “fans”. And I could say the same for Gruden who is turning out to be a pretty decent coach already I think. Give him a few more seasons with this team and who knows where it might lead. For the first time in more than a decade the Skins are about football and not about the media circus. Apparently the fan baser isn’t ready for that and want their circus back. Cousins may grant their wish. I wouldn’t blame him if he did.

• hail74 - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I would say the fans seemed pretty evenly split on the qb fence. It’s just some that vehemently refuse to see how improved cousins is and how much rg3 regressed. I agree about the racism nonsense, a regular on here accused cousins fans of the same.

• JOHNNY B - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Do you not remember 2012 and the Ravens when Cousins came in for Rg3 and led us to victory and the game after that. At that point Cousins was viewed by most fans and media as a starter. Also that is when the Cousins love fest started.

10. colmac69 - Dec 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Man….few people bn smoking some real gd stuff the day……

First up cousins doesn’t nd to worry bout contract right now…..free agent QBS isn’t great…would appear not going to b gd draft for QBS. ….bout 10 teams looking for quality starter (regardless of who opponent bn cousins has played like a quality starter esp last five wks)….can only play what’s in front of you….he responded well from adversity(problem last yr)…cut dwn ints from first 6 wks….he gonna b in nice place after season and if he ends up making 15,16 mill the gd for him….that’s kind price u pay starting QB….if he plays well last 5 and hopefully playoffs then he b even better position

Hopefully he back in Washington…..this team is on the up and can ill afford to start again at QB position…..however he has to look after what best for him and family…..I’m sure the gm will make best decision for team

Jackson is interesting one…..everyone can see what difference he makes to offense even if he only catching couple balls….he scares defences and they have to change to take that into account (one thing we don’t have on defense is guy who scares an offense)….if we move on from him what is the plan to replace him?

Don’t think there any doubt gruden back nxt yr (sorry Mr money…hk2000)….better get used to that fact I’m afraid

Would bn interesting to see rgiii reaction to goldson saying to cousins it’s his team (wasn’t that long ago it was rgiii team)….it appears him and cousins gets on fine but they must bn small part of rgiii thinking what if…

Big game on Monday and it b bigger if giants lose to jets….this is a statement game and could b game that takes us onto better things

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Dec 3, 2015 at 4:26 PM

(one thing we don’t have on defense is guy who scares an offense)

Junior Galette could be that guy…
      ~

• colmac69 - Dec 4, 2015 at 7:39 AM

For sure…..if he playing nxt yr I think Kerrigan will b biggest beneficiary….teams will have to adjust to quality pass rusher leaving in all probability Kerrigan in more one vs one situations….(stories out camp from reporters was galette was only player who had speed/quickness to bt trent Williams and was impressive with his pass rush)

Couple other upgrades defensively and we possibly could see how a real 3-4 defense operates with correct pieces in place

• John - Dec 4, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Regardless of Galette coming back, they could use a beast on the defensive line. The guy doesn’t have to be JJ Watt but a Fletcher Cox would be nice. That and a safety and corner and a center. Whichever is available as they come in the draft. Perhaps Preston Smith will get it going during these last few games but remember turning a d lineman into a lb is problematic. Evidence Chris Coleman, Andre Carter and several like players…

• Mr.moneylover - Dec 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Rg3 been a great teammate and he was mad in the beginning that he lost his job but that never stop him from talking to teammates and doing his job…..its nothing like what happen with Colin kapernick…the players is support rg3

11. JOHNNY B - Dec 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I don’t think that Djax will lower his pay he is not that kind of person. Even when he finally loses a step he will deny it. So it will be play or be cut.
    With Cousins I am not sold on him being the franchise qb yet maybe a 2 year contract to try to keep him here to see how we do next year. If he lights it up next year big contract time.
    On Gruden I think that he is getting better and learning more. He has earned another year just as long as he keeps us out of the cellar.

• goback2rfk - Dec 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Cousins is not waiting to see if he develops into something more. There is enough on him already to justify a big contract. He is obviously better than all the backups in the league and certainly better than some of the starters right now. Cousins is getting that big pay day and he deserves it. He is no Tom Brady but he is pretty good.
      4 Years 68 Million with 22 mil fully guaranteed.

12. goback2rfk - Dec 3, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Lets us not forget Alex Smiths contract, “Alex Smith signed a 4 year, $68,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $18,000,000 signing bonus, $45,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,000,000”

You think Cousins deserves less than Alex Smith money. I think not Haters! Do not try and tell me Alex Smith is better than Cousins cause you crazy. I see Cousins signing a contract very similar to Alex Smiths contract.
    More than likely they will tag him and try to work this sh|t out next year. Way 2 go Cousins you deserve it. A much better option than Rg3andOut.

• straitouttacharleston - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Yes. Smith IS better than Kirk.

• goback2rfk - Dec 3, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Smith and Cousins seem about equal to me. Neither one seem much better by any significant amount. I think Cousins has more upside than Smith and therefore would take Kirk over Smith by default. But hey thats just my worthless opinion. To each is own

13. John - Dec 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Money,

We appreciate your realizing that Robert does not read the defense and that Kyle put together an offense that fit his skill set coming out of college.

Unfortunately you like some others overlook the offensive line. Sure they have changed some pieces and they pass block better this year but the quarterback plays a part in that (getting rid of the ball in 3 seconds or less, moving into the pocket which helps the line because they know where he is and where to move the defender, calling the protection prior to the play, etc.) which Robert did not do. The read option style that was used in 2012 is still used but sparingly and the quarterbacks that played in it have declined (Kapernik and Wilson).

Robert had a great year in 2012 but that was one year. Since then he has regressed and been banged up. I don’t see him being the guy here in the future.

If Kirk was all that bad, you would be hearing it from the “anonymous sources”. That’s not happened. Sure he throws a pick from time to time but what quarterback does’nt? Grudens not going anywhere either. So get over it.