Dec 3, 2015, 5:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 3, four days before the Washington Redskins host the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night football.
Five thoughts on the state of the Redskins
—Yesterday I presented three options the Redskins and DeSean Jackson will have regarding his future with the team. What I didn’t do was take $100 in imaginary poker chips and split them according to the chances I think of each of the three options coming to pass. I’ll got with $20 on him staying on his current contract, $30 on him getting cut and $50 on him getting a new deal with some guaranteed money and heavy on workout bonuses and per-game roster bonuses.
—I think that players-only meetings are sometimes overblown events but I don’t believe that the importance of the one the Redskins had last Saturday was overrated. This team has had issues with its mindset ever since I started covering them in 2009. With the exception of the seven-game winning streak in 2012, their results have always been less than the sum of their parts. To me, that’s a problem that emanates from above the neck. The players needed to get on the same page and the ones who have played in Super Bowls needed to impart some wisdom. And they need to keep it rolling with more than a one-game pop out of the meeting.
—John Keim had a good post about Jay Gruden and his relationship with the players. Football is a people business and a big part of a coach’s job is relating to his players (just as is the case with any boss at any job). You should check out the post but two quotes caught my eye. This one from DeAngelo Hall: “You can’t help but notice him joking around with this guy or that guy. He’s not just talking to [DeSean Jackson] or Trent [Williams] or big-name guys. It’s everybody. He jokes with [Robert Griffin III] even to this day. It’s not something where I bench him so I won’t talk to him anymore.” And this one from an unnamed player: “It helps when you win a couple games. It could change if we lose a couple in a row.”
—In the post Keim says that Gruden has been assured that he will be back in 2016. Since the Redskins have now won five games they have improved on their record from last year. While Dan Snyder has been accused of having a quick trigger finger, he has never fired a coach after the team improved its win total from one season to the next. Gruden should and will be back.
—What about Kirk Cousins? I’ve found his refusal to say even a token, “Sure, I’d love to be back if things can be worked out,” when asked about his future with the team to be somewhat odd. I don’t get the impression that he has completely soured on the organization although he certainly could have some bad feelings over what has been a rocky ride with the Redskins. I think that eventually the natural tendency of a quarterback to want to stay in a system where he has had some success, especially one who is still developing, wins out over any ill will that may have been created. But I’d be a heck of a lot more confident about predicting that if he would give the slightest hint that it’s what he wants to do.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:35; Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30
—Days until: Monday night Cowboys @ Redskins 4; Redskins @ Bears 10; Bills @ Redskins 17
In case you missed it
- Goldson on Cousins: ‘He is our leader’
- The Redskins’ new challenge? Avoiding complacency
- Three options for the Redskins and DeSean Jackson in 2016
- Remembering ‘The Monday Night Miracle’ 10 years later
- State of the Redskins, Week 13: In the driver’s seat
- Redskins name Kerrigan Walter Payton Man of the Year
- Are the Redskins favored in the division? Depends on who you ask
- Five early thoughts on Redskins vs. Cowboys
Follow Us On Twitter
- Doctson could return from IR in Week 15
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Lions
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food