Nov 27, 2015, 5:12 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, November 27, two days before the Redskins host the New York Giants.
Five Redskins who need to step up against the Giants
WR DeSean Jackson—This is two weeks in a row on this list for Jackson and he’ll probably continue to be on her until he has a big day. I posted yesterday that Jackson has made one big play early in each of the last two games but has subsequently disappeared. The Redskins just might need him to catch one deep in the fourth quarter.
RB Matt Jones—He doesn’t just need to hold on to the ball; he needs to put up some rushing yards while he’s doing it. The Redskins need someone to whom they can hitch their wagon down the stretch and at the time it seems Jones is the best candidate for that job.
CB Bashaud Breeland—Last December Odell Beckham chewed up the Redskins’ secondary with 12 receptions for 140 yards while being guarded mostly by Breeland. He was better earlier this year, although both Beckham and Ruben Randle caught TD passes against him. The second-year corner needs to be physical and make plays.
CB Will Blackmon—I had Chris Culliver here when I first outlined his post but with Cully now out for the season Blackmon needs to step up into the role as a starter. Blackmon was on the street in Week 1 and now he’s starting for a team that could find itself in a playoff run. Like Breeland, against the Giants Blackmon will need to make tackles after completions.
ILB Keenan Robinson—He should be able to play, although we’ll find out his status today. Just like it is time for Jones to step up it also is time for a leader in the defensive front seven to emerge and start making some plays.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:45; Jay Gruden and Sean McVay news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:00
—Days until: Giants @ Redskins 2; Monday night Cowboys @ Redskins 10; Redskins @ Bears 16
In case you missed it
- Culliver out for the season with knee injury
- Redskins need consistent contributions from Jackson
- Can Redskins’ Gruden give thanks for his job being safe?
- Romo: Injury vs. Panthers ‘feels similar’ to previous setback
- Redskins OT Trent Williams returned to practice on Thursday
- Redskins gearing up for critical division game vs. Giants
- Assessing the Redskins’ playoff chances
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit
- Jay Gruden says Redskins defense should have been more aggressive in final series
- Five observations from the Redskins' loss to the Lions
- VIDEO: Trent Williams walks gingerly while helped to locker room after injury
- Redskins take late lead on Cousins TD, give up late lead on Boldin TD
- Josh Norman leaves game with concussion
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground