Need to Know: Grading Redskins’ Cousins against the Panthers

Nov 24, 2015, 5:12 AM EDT

Cousins-passing-vs.-Panthers

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, November 24, five days before the Redskins host the New York Giants.

Five final thoughts on Panthers 44, Redskins 16

—I simply don’t buy assertions that the Redskins suffered from some great “momentum” loss after Chris Culliver’s pick six was nullified by a shaky penalty call. They had a chance to grab momentum after Andre Roberts’ 99-yard kickoff return tied the game at 14. The Redskins did briefly, forcing a three and out on defense. But their offense promptly went three and out. The Panthers took the ensuing punt and drove all the way from their own eight into field goal range before the Culliver play. By that point it was clear that the Panthers were the superior team and while the final score might not have been as ugly if Culliver’s touchdown had stood the outcome would not have changed. Momentum matters much more if the two teams are evenly matched. On this day, Carolina was just better.

—I would argue that the holding penalty against Jordan Reed had just as big an impact as the Culliver penalty and it probably was a worse call. If Kirk Cousins’ run stands and the Redskins have first and goal at the three, they likely score and it’s 28-21 at halftime and Washington was receiving the second-half kickoff. The holding was a much worse call than the roughing because referees are trained to throw flag in borderline situations when the penalty involves player safety. They are not encouraged to call ticky-tack holding penalties.

—One more thing on penalties then we’ll move on. As Jay Gruden said during his press conference on Monday, illegal contact penalties need to be reviewable. If Gruden or any coach wants to use one of his challenges on such a play, why not? They are often big plays. Sure, it’s a judgment call, but so is whether a player got a second foot inbounds on a catch or if the ball broke the imaginary plane of the goal line. If there’s indisputable visual evidence that there was no prohibited contact, reverse the call. If not, it stands. In college they automatically review every such call. And the NFL reviews them each week to decide whether or not the player will be fined.

—I’ve been debating what grade to give Kirk Cousins for his performance on Sunday and I think I’m going with a C-, although I wouldn’t argue too hard if you want to go lower. His interception was completely on him as he overthrew DeSean Jackson for what would have been a first down near midfield. Cousins took five sacks and although at least one of them was due Josh LeRibeus snapping the ball too early and another came when Ty Nsekhe came in off the bench cold after Trent Williams was hurt and was evidently unprepared to, you know, block somebody, he takes his share of blame for them. On the good side, the TD pass to Jackson was very well thrown and he made a few other good throws. And his run that was nullified was very well executed. I’m grading on the curve a bit because he was up against the league’s best pass defense. All in all, the game was another data point to judge him by and this one on the down side of the “average” line.

—I’ve been giving Matt Jones something of a pass for his fumbles but he’s running out of rope. Four fumbles in 104 touches is beyond a concern and something to work on, it’s a five-alarm problem. Jones has been somewhat unlucky in that the Redskins lost all four fumbles and all of them either led to a touchdown for the other team or cost the Redskins a sure score. Jay Gruden can’t bench him because he is capable of making plays like the 78-yard touchdown rumble with a screen pass against the Saints. But “they work on ball security all the time” won’t cut it anymore. Jones needs special attention when it comes to holding on to the ball.

Today’s schedule: Player meetings, no media availability

Days until: Giants @ Redskins 5; Monday night Cowboys @ Redskins 13; Redskins @ Bears 19

1. chad - Nov 24, 2015 at 5:56 AM

You say the fumble returned td wasn’t a momentum killing drive? Ok let’s take a peak. Roberts ran Ko back for td, Carolina turns it over on a hit/fumble for td. Score now is 21 to 14. Momentum builds up and momentum certainly can be killed with a horrible call. I’m guessing you haven’t played football before? There lies the often wrong opinion of the media for now have played and experienced momentum swings. I said they were building momentum with the return for a td, and the fumble return for a td. You ASK any football player and they will tell you thats exactly momentum and building on it. You can build up momentum over several big plays, and it CAN be killed with one horrible play.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:48 AM

The Redskins got no momentum from the kickoff return with the exception of one three and out by the defense. I have no reason to believe that any “momentum” would have resulted from an INT return for a touchdown.

Intercept the pass or don’t commit pass interference on third and eight. Period.

• metalman5150 - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM

I think the momentum killer was the revelation that the team was in a battle against not just the 9-0 panthers, but also, the refs. YES the flags are negating good football plays. Almost to point where if you’re a player, you pack the game in. WHY do you pack it in? Because the alternative is play harder. And often times, what happens will we dig a lil deeper? Injuries? More yellow flags negating more solid football plays? Maybe a touchdown gets called back? SO what does Fred Davis do when his Touchdown is called back, a couple of years ago? He digs harder on the next play, battling the opponent and the refs: and tears his ankle up, subsequently.

Opponent. Check
        Ourselves. Check
        Refs. OK why not?

• metalman5150 - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM

My biggest gripe is that there would appear to be a discrepancy in flags, across all games and affecting all teams.
          It hurts bc I am a fan of team that is consistently on the receiving end of the stick.
          Sunday night, I watch AJ Green get lit up, ten-fold of what happened to Greg Olson. AND – there was no penalty.
          Stuff like the call on Reed for holding. How about the helmet to helmet hit on Reed, that resulted in no flag, too?
          These penalties add up. And what hurts the most is that there is nothing you can do better? How does a DB play the ball better on that quick pass to Olson? How is that play “suppose” to be executed? These things linger only bc I would expect professional athletes to move on from them, while couch-coaches, like me, reverberate the resulting frustrations.

• skinsgame - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:11 PM

I saw that hit on Green, Sunday night, and immediately thought the same thing.

• sidepull - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:03 AM

On the other hand, a player, or team, that is the recipient of a bad call, bad play, better get over it. These guys are pros. If they choose to argue calls, get distracted by the last play, they really have not been coached as well as they should have. Well coached clubs, players have a short memory. You have to or you get steamrolled. In the NFL coaches look for weakness. They exploit it. Remember Cortland Finnegan from the Titans and before that the Rams? He was always causing a fray and getting in players heads. He was an expert at playing dirty and getting away with it. He would take an opponent out of the game just by his behavior. Even Megatron. No, if they lose momentum its because they chose to not let that junk go. It was 14 point swing that play. Us fans can complain, even the coach, but the players got to let it go and play. I men who doesnt know or expect the officiating to be in question almost every game? We watch, they play. We complain, they should keep playing in spite of.

• Jeff ezell - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:53 AM

I agree that changed the complexity of the game we would have change the play calls and also neingb on the road we need some good turnovers to build that momentum and swagger I believe JEROME Bogar and his staff should not be able to call our games we would have won the game if not for that turn of events. And that call on reed …COME ON MAN…REALLY!!! HTTR!!!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM

What momentum? Clearly there wasn’t any momentum by the Redskins before the fumble. Culliver and company were getting beat down field by both Cam throwing it and Steward running it as Carolina was moving the ball with ease. If anything, a Culliver’s touchdown may have slowed the Carolina momentum however there was NO momentum to kill on the Redskins side at the time of the fumble return. I see no evidence based on how the game continued that the defense could have stopped Carolina’s offense. They were missing tackles and getting beat by the pass before the event and continued missing tackles and getting beat by the pass after.

2. hk2000 - Nov 24, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Rich, You grade QB, offense, defense, running backs, secondary, O line…..etc, you basically cover every aspect of the team but never an article evaluating the coach, or even coaching in general. I and quite a few others on here have been screaming about this coaches incompetence for a long time, is there any hope for that scream to get any attention by you and the rest of the media? I know many of you choke it up to the preconception that we all are hurt Griffin supporters, but I assure you that is not the case. While I have my doubts about Cousins’ abilities, I hold no absolute views as to who should be at QB, I just think Gruden is a very incompetent coach. When a team’s quality of play swings wildly from absolutely great to absolutely horrible from game to game, it is proof that the talent is there, and a good coach should be able to harness it consistently! Those who say the team has a lot of holes and therefore we should give the coach a pass should know that the mark of a great coach is making the best of what he has. If the team was gradually improving – even incrementally, I’d say yes, but the swings from great to awful to great and then awful again, just tells me we are looking at a mediocre coach here.

• wvredskins - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:24 AM

I think gruden is a good coach. We had a chance to be competitive in the game and the PLAYERS didn’t execute. You are on the outside looking in. You don’t know how hard gruden and his staff work. You don’t think they work on discipline like jumping offsides 5 times in the game?! You can say what you want and you can like it or lump it cause mr gruden is gonna be here next year. This season is not a lost cause yet and they still own their own destiny. Starting this week with the giants. Even if te season doesn’t pan out like we would like he deserves at least one more season. Another coach and another system is not gonna help the cause.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:46 AM

• hk2000 - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Well, you and other media people are grading every component of the team, why not the coach? Media types are more influential than plain old fans. If the organization values public opinion, and if enough analysts point out deficiencies in the coaching staff, may be that would sway them to do something about it! If, on the other hand, your opinion is that he’s doing a great job, so be it, but we’d like to know.

• brucefan1 - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM

“I generally don’t respond to fan screaming. And you seem to have made up your mind so I’m not sure why you need me to write a post one way or the other.”

Huh?!

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:52 AM

“When a team’s quality of play swings wildly from absolutely great to absolutely horrible from game to game, it is proof…”

Proof that not all opponents are equal. Tampa 5-5 at home, New England 10-0 on the road, New Orleans 4-6 at home, Carolina 10-0 on the road. Sometimes it’s simple solutions that are clearly evident. You can take it back further for road games versus home games all the way back to the second game of the season. Sunday is the big test, the Redskins are arguably playing their toughest home opponent of the year. Is the home/road or simply the competition?

• sidepull - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM

And in addition they could be viewed as beating teams that they should beat. That has not always been the case.
        I dont know who expected them to win 9 or 10 games this year. I thought 7 was a reach but its not over yet. Jack the Giant killer please step up.

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I agree, they are winning the games they should win, those games happen to be at home but so are the opponents fans. I’m inclined to believe that the Redskins don’t have a home field advantage but simply had easier competition at home. It would be great that it is both and wins against the Giants, Cowboys and Bills at home would make a strong case for there actually being a home field advantage for the first time since they moved from RFK. Still, I expect 20% of the fans on Sunday to be from the northeast.

• hk2000 - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM

You can’t go from making plays, making tough catches, throwing pin-point accurate passes and forcing most accurate QB into in-completions to completely dropping the ball literally and figuratively!- that explanation of yours is non sense.

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Sure, it isn’t. Blaming the coach for inaccurate passes is. So no credit to the coach for a victory and all blame for a loss. There is no response to you because when it comes to this coach you are prejudiced. You have had all the evidence you needed in March. You have at least been honest about this and kudos for that but there is no reasoning with you. Everything you listed is player performance but don’t let that stop you from connecting dots.

• John - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM

HK,

The team is in a rebuild. They don’t have enough talent to compete against good teams. They can’t run. They can’t stop the run. They can’t stop the pass. The special teams seem to be getting better but for 2 years, they’ve been pretty rough. Teams should have blocked more of our punts this year.

Complaining about bad calls is pointless. Every team gets hit with that. Ask the Ravens and Bills.

The coaches have drawn up good plays and schemes but the players have to execute. Against good teams, they can’t have turnovers and penalties or multiple dropped balls.

Leave the kool aid alone. Scott M said this is going to take 3 years. Hr and Gruden are on the same page. Until the talent improves and players are situationally aware, they will only beat bad teams. They are only in it now because the rest of the division sucks. Were it not for Romo and Bryant being injured, the Cowboys would be running away from everyone else.

• hk2000 - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:18 PM

What kool-aid? Of all of you here, I’m the only one who’s not drinking anyone’s kool-aid. Look, All I know is that I see teams lose very important pieces and continue to win. BB in NE is making a hell of a case for my argument. And don’t give me this Brady crap, b/c Brady went down and BB went on to have a 11-5 record with a HIGH SCHOOL QB in Cassle, whom we now can see is anything but special. We can argue till the end of season, neither one is going to change his mind, so let’s agree to disagree. All I wanted is a media attention to the coaching, positive or negative- put it out there, why not? That’s all.

• John - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Regardless of who the coach is, this team is only going to win what, 7 maybe 8 games? You can’t make chicken salad from chicken s#”&.

Until the talent improves and players are all in, you’ve got nothing. BB is a hall of fame coach. During Snyder’s tenure they’ve turned over multiple coaches including Gibbs, Shanahan and Schottenheimer. We’ve won the free agent thing multiple times. What has that brought the team?

Constant turmoil brings failure. The team finally has a GM. He has said the team is at least 3 years away. He and Gruden are on the same page. If the team or Scott thought Gruden was the problem you’d be hearing from the infamous anonymous sources calling for his removal. That has not happened. Get the coach better talent to work with and then evaluate him. Until then see the team for what it is, average at best.

• squawonthewarpath - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:26 PM

All you want is media attention out there that negatively reflects on Gruden so you will “feel” righteous or justified for your opinion.

• hk2000 - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Are you serious? I don’t give a damn about anybody’s opinion, I don’t need anyone’s justification, as far as I’m concerned I’m 100% justified, REGARDLESS what anyone says or what happens the rest of this season!!! I want him FIRED, that is the only reason I want the negatives to be pointed out for everyone to see, not for me- I ALREADY know how bad he is.

• hk2000 - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:22 PM

Are you serious? I don’t care about anybody’s opinion, I don’t need anyone’s justification, as far as I’m concerned I’m 100% justified, REGARDLESS what anyone says or what happens the rest of this season!!! I want him FIRED, that is the only reason I want the negatives to be pointed out for everyone to see, not for me- I ALREADY know how bad he is.

3. hail74 - Nov 24, 2015 at 6:46 AM

C- seems about right. As bad as that game was tho, the one stat that has me most concerned is the 10 cups of coffee Joe Barry drinks in the morning.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Week after week, we make the other team’s RB look like an MVP candidate.
      ~

• sidepull - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:15 AM

It is a really frustrating thing to watch. Hope they get it turned around. They look like they cant win without running the ball better and definitely stuffing the run is a priority you would think. Its just mind boggling how other teams just continue to gash the Redskins and there is no improvement, no adjustments visible. I am sure they are working at it but it is just not translating to game day.

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Look, if you’re a sieve against the run, play tighter in pass coverage. No one (very few) could name a starting wide receiver on the Panthers and they were open every single rout. Funchess was in his first NFL start. Culliver has flat out sucked for two games in a row. Soft in coverage and then doesn’t engage in tackling – giving the receiver an extra 3-5 yards before he makes contact. Even in the controversial Olsen hit, he was late in coverage. Cam had his best game of his career because the coverage of the wide receivers was so soft. I don’t see Eli Manning or Tony Romo missing guys that open. If it wasn’t for the few missed passes the Redskins defense wouldn’t have gotten off the field. There may have been one or two passes defended but that was it. 2nd and 20 and Newton hits a 17-yard strike immediately. That to me was the most disappointing part of the defense. Bad tackling and not being able to shut down the run, I’ve come to expect. Before Sunday’s game, six straight games with a turnover. If this defense can’t generate turnovers, it is a long day.

As for the momentum, the only way the Culliver pick-6 would’ve generated momentum was if the Redskins then tried an onside kick and successfully recovered – otherwise, I see the defense getting right back on the field and eventually eroding if not eroding instantaneous. Irregardless, it would’ve been nice to get that chance to change the outcome of the game.

• skinsgame - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Totally agreed about Culliver. I was hoping they’d bring Hall in to maybe shake Culliver up. Breeland wasn’t much better.

4. cpst123 - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:32 AM

I don’t think the Redskins would have won in Carolina but I think both the hit and the hold were bad calls and momentum killers. Consider not only the 7 point swing on the the hit, but that Carolina not only marched the whole field and got nothing but they gave up 7 points. The Redskins can buy into a bend don’t break mentality while the weight of undefeated weighs on the shoulders of the Panthers. But I’m ok with not agreeing with everything I read.

Looking at those 2 calls, I think, is cause for concern from the NFL A “Catch” is already unrecognizable by fans and quickly become a joke, now “Holding” and “Tackling” are too. What exactly is the NFL selling us? Do we need to watch a play then have it explained to us? The NFL needs to decide if they want flags. That’s both safer and easier to follow.

5. colorofmyskinz - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM

We had plenty of opportunities to compete. Was not one call for sure Rich, agreed. OLine was horrible. OLine F. I think cousins ownes at least 2 of those sacks and 1 INT. Cousins hesitated more than normal and looked like RGIII style indecision, and viola, sacks. 2 sacks with horrific turnovers that went for scores after. I give cousins D+ at best.

Jones what can you say. Super hot or super not. Had he not shown the type of brilliance, we would not be seeing fumbles from him on the bench. He has a limit problem with holding the ball and needs to show us he can go the rest of the season without another drop. Morris had 4 each of his first 2 years and I am at my limit for Jones and drops for the remainder of the season.

Coaching? F-. They are responsible for keeping the team in the game. They lost the team isn’t the first few minutes of the second half. Play calling horrible. Offensive coordination horrible.

Now the defense, I would give them an F—–, but because the offense forced them to play unusual amount of time against a top rated team, I give them an F- for missed tackles alone. Our team has had a tackling problem for a really long time and it actually looks worse right now. Defense has to at least know how to tackle. Might not be the sack team or int team, but has to tackle. We need a remake in the front 7 I hate to say it. Pot roast not wrapping up and making tackles. He is a immovable object but can’t tackle. Inside linebackers horrible. Not outside pressure either. Non existent from front 7. Plain old F-.

We need to beat GIANTS bad!

6. garg8050 - Nov 24, 2015 at 7:51 AM

This has to be the week Leribeus gets benched, right? De le Puenta can’t be any worse. Maybe a change at center will give the running game a boost. At the very least, it should help get the snap count right…I hope.

• colorofmyskinz - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Yes I hope for the new center to have a shot because LeRibieus just is not cutting it. We need Kouandjio potentially to replace Long even? Now we have Ty N, Long, and LeRibieus on the left side. That is horrific. Then we have 2 new starters on the right. This line is in shambles. We need to call SOS or 911. We are in deep line trouble.

• ET - Nov 24, 2015 at 2:15 PM

I can’t abide any more LeRibeus. Even if De La Puente has lost a step or two, he’s still sound in terms of the stuff a center is SUPPOSED to know, like—I dunno—snap counts and getting the ball to the QB gracefully. I think LeRib is responsible for at least two of the sacks and several hurries last game. On one hand, I applaud the coaches patience with him; on the other … Spend that reserve of patience on somebody else!

• sidepull - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Have you seen De le Puenta play? Maybe hes a better fit with Callahan as line coach.

• garg8050 - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I haven’t. But if he can snap the ball well and at the right time, its a win, right? Leribeus has been mediocre at best as a blocker, and his snapping problems are well documented.

• brucefan1 - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Absolutely! For a coaching staff that seems to be getting much if its praise because they supposedly hold players “accountable”, who gets held accountable for Sunday’s blunder-filled game?

Sure, Josh seems like a no-brainer. But what about Long? Is Arie at all ready? Matt Jones’ fumbling has gotta put him out in the doghouse, right? ANY chance Thompson step up into a bigger role? And those LB/DB’s let the Panther receivers pretty much have their way all game long. Any of them taking the pipe. Doubt it; who’d take their place?!

But maybe “accountability” only goes so far when you have no one else to hold a failing player accountable with.

(And I haven’t checked thoroughly, but has Gru & Crew made any mea culpas for a job poorly done by them? I sure hope so. It would be the manly thing to do.No?)

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:02 AM

You can listen to either yesterday’s or Sunday’s new conferences and you’ll hear Gruden taking the blame. For me, it the equivalent of a QB taking the blame – you do it because it comes with the role whether it’s mostly on you or hardly on you.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 24, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Nice spin on the facts! However Gruden is making it very clear this week that he is the one to blame. That’s because the coaches put an unprepared team on the field. You don’t see it that’s your problem. I don’t recall any other lost this year where Gruden publicly declared it’s on him. There is a reason why this week, he is making that statement. When you have missed tackles by many players, penalties by many players, turnovers by many players then the team issue always points to a coaching issue.

Stop trying to dictate what Gruden really meant. It’s clear what he meant and he is actually right about it.

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 1:32 PM

So, I’m responsible for your recall? He did it with New England as well and pretty much every loss. It what a coach does when you lose. Sure, JD, I’m making up crap and your perspective is spot on.

7. dcfaninecuador - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:55 AM

This team does not have the players to execute the game plans. The talent is not there…yet. Rob Ryan is An excellent defensive coach, yet he had one of the worst defenses in the league. Answer? Talent ( or lack thereof). Redskins have a few really talented players: Reed, Kerrigan, Garçon, Williams, but definitely not enough to overcome game by game and even play by play setbacks. One can only wonder how they would fare if: they had DSean the whole year, Junior Gallette (and yes, the coaches saw the problems with the edge LBs before any of us did), DHall, Sean Lavaou, Reed, etc. etc. etc. there are some rookies and 2nd year players that show promise: Jarrett, Moses, Smith, Scherff, but very, very few players make an immediate impact in 1st or 2nd year. It takes time. You can have the greatest head or position coach in the game (see Callahan, Bill) but if you don’t have the talent, either raw or proven, you are screwed. And btw, it took a year or two for Callahan to develop the talented OLine in Dallas. It didn’t happen overnight. So, all you people calling for the head coach to be fired because he can’t coach are, in my humble opinion, delusional. If you think this them has talent and it is only bad coaching are really living in your fantasy world. Patience, people. There is reason to hope…just give it some time.

• John - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Well said. I’m tired of these folks who think this team can win with less talent. Coaches draw up plays and formulate game plans but the players have to execute. There were a lot of blown assignments the other day. Check out Cooleys film breakdown and Craig Hoffman’s blog on espn980.com.

This team lacks speed on defense. They rarely wrap on tackles. They can’t rush with just 4. We don’t have a stud pass rusher or someone who can blow up plays.

They lack a big time receiver on offense. If one or 2 of the receivers are out, their screwed (Jets game). The blocking against Carolina was a joke. Carrier screwed up on the first 3 plays. Long blew a couple as well.
      Moses was responsible for one of the sack strips (also at Tampa).

For this team to win, they can’t turn it over and they can’t have all the penalties (Miami and Carolina). If they play a bad team, they should win.

I realize everybody is tired of this team losing. I’ve been a fan since the days of “the over the hill gang”, so seeing this team lose year after year for so long hurts but unless the talent improves, this team will continue to lose.

I can’t find the exact quote by Sun Tzu but it goes something like this, “don’t expect great things from someone who lacks talent”.

• colmac69 - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Def agree regarding defense….no pace…don’t have pass rusher who scares offenses and can make game changing plays……can’t tackle….

Funnily enough despite sun showing I believe offense isn’t far away from being half decent. …some gd pieces in place

People laugh that skins could go first with a win sunday…and possibly compete for div title even if 7-9 could win it…what they supposed to do…apologise and say” u know what we don’t want to win title with losing record so we will forfeit the games instead “….

If it happens great but won’t mask the deficiency on the team….let gm build team up and results will b seen nxt yr and beyond….they b problems ahead for sure but we have genuine hope despite all negative crap u read on here

8. JOHNNY B - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM

I don’t think the Redskins would have won but with 10 to 14 points taken from us (the Culiver int and Cousins run) and would have taken 14 from them. Come the 4th quarter the game still in our reach would have given the drive and momentum to take it down field again. Also it would have given us 1 less sack. That’s the NFL. With that in mind I agree with a c for Cousins. I also thought that 1 of Cousins fumbles his knee was down but I guess I will wait for Cooleys break down to find out.

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:51 AM

I thought the Funchess TD was worth taking a look at as well. Couldn’t tell if he got two and a half feet in or just one and a half. Either way, those plays are supposed to be reviewed if they’re close.

9. JOHNNY B - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM

O

10. goback2rfk - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Lets hope the Panthers do what they did to us against the Cowboys. Otherwise, this thing is slipping away fast. Code Red! Code Red!! Code Red!!!

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM

It’s Code Red because it’s the Giants. A Giants win and they’re two games ahead with the head-to-head tiebreaker and five games left.

The Cowboys have ample opportunity to throw-up on themselves: (Panthers at home on a short week, at Washington, at Green Bay, home against the Jets, at Buffalo, home against the Redskins. They might win four games, but that’s it.

11. Skulb - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Good article RIch. C- sounds about right to me. No shortage of issues to work on with the entire team though. I have Baker and Roberts as possibly good enough this week. Penalties, running game and people giving up in the second half more concerning than Cousins to me.

12. berniebernard666 - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Hey its pretty obvious that the Redskins Offensive linemen aren’t as strong as other teams Defensive Linemen. Maybe its time to get rid of the rubber band man, their strength and weakness coach, and replace him with a strength coach who believes in HEAVY DUTY POWER LIFTING instead of pilates, yoga, and rubber bands.DUH

• ET - Nov 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Disagree. I think the issues are mostly timing and technique.

LeRibeus as a *tactical* center is bad, whereas Kory seems very good at snap counts, line adjustments, etc. Those tactical issues don’t matter on every snap, of course, but they do matter. Kory is smallish and probably not as strong as LeRib, but he is a savvy player. Guys like Scherff, I think it’s continuing refinement of technique, a not lack of strength.

• JOHNNY B - Nov 24, 2015 at 3:53 PM

This is true besides this is the first year with this o-line except for Williams. Give them time to refine their skills. Dallas’s o-line wasn’t built in one season it took time. Besides the 5 sacks and double digit hits against the best pass rushing defense in the nfl it could have been worse.

13. goback2rfk - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Forget about grading Cousins. Lets grade the offensive line with that number 5 draft pick included.
    I have a E- grade for the O-Line. The offensive line is getting pushed back into the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. What seemed like a solid line at first is slowly slipping away into mediocrity.

• timwillhide - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Sounds like what I said was happening to RG3 last year when gruden was calling all those 5 & 7 step drops and the Oline was worse. So Cousins must be holding onto the ball too long. Right since everyone is being objective about both QBs

• Mr.moneylover - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:35 AM

It wasn’t Brandon scherff who gave up a sack it was josh lebrius and Morgan moses who struggle and kirk cousins was holding on to the ball for to long instead of throwing it away…kirk cousins did look a lot like the rg3 we seen last year

14. Mr.moneylover - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM

The only QB that’s coming out of college who can be some what of a franchise QB is conner cook Michigan university and he’s similar to kirk cousins broke college records but haven’t won nothing…keeping rg3 on the roster I think is a very smart move and for them to come out back then saying he’s not gonna be traded…I seriously don’t believe there wasn’t no buyers before the trade deadline…if kirk cousins can’t win on the road and can’t beat a good defense he’s not worth keeping and plus he got a turnover problem…jay gruden came to Washington to fix rg3 and to run a high power offense …to be honest our offense have not been solid since jay gruden got here…if mike shanahan never got involved in the play calling I believe rg3 wouldve had to good years and ppl forget kyle shanahan and mike shanahan was at odds to about the play calling and benching rg3 so rg3 got a raw deal with mike shanahan and jay gruden because jay gruden never wanted to work with rg3 he told reporters that a few weeks after he was hired if Scot m. Fire jay gruden after the season it will be clearly jay gruden fault nobody else because he lied and never lived up to this words

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Yeah, Kyle is doing “wonders” for Matt Ryan. Dan Quinn, a defensive head coach is also fantastic.

15. Mr.moneylover - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Jay gruden keep saying we gotta coach them up better…ummm dude aint you the Head Coach get your a$$ over there and fix it and if it takes all day or all night to fix it then so be it I’m so sick and tired of him saying its the coaches and he’s HEAD coach In charge…do you see the Seattle seahawk players pinching they head coach nipple NOPE do you see players dancing everytime they show peeps of practice… Chris culliver Ricky jean and Dashon goldson bring the kind of attitude this team need…eve

• hail74 - Nov 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I don’t know about any Seahawks pinching anyone’s nipples but there is plenty of talk about players not liking the OC’s play calling. You know, the guy some people here want to be our coach.

16. timwillhide - Nov 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM

The Offensive Line is definitely better than last year
    17th in Run blocking up from 19th last year
    3rd in Pass Blocking up from 31st last year
    According to Football Outsiders

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Nov 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM

And we’d be even betterer (new word!) if not for the gaping chest wound at center.

Bill Callahan and those new young players, we can be happy about.
      ~

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 24, 2015 at 1:34 PM

It’s hard to say when the run blocking is overall. The word is out on the Redskins. Stuff the run early and the coaches will completely bail on it and transform into one dimensional passing offense.

• hail74 - Nov 24, 2015 at 2:04 PM

We all want them to run more but at what point does it no longer become viable? If your avg 0-2 yds per carry and the other team can score at will, when do you stop? I know your talking whole season not just Sunday, but the back up line men aren’t doing a good job, Morris’ lack of explosion is even more glaring this season, Jones doesn’t keep his shoulders square and on and on. I would love to see Thompson get more carries, and I think he will since it looked that way in the second half.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 24, 2015 at 5:37 PM

You’re correct that I’m not just referring to this one game.

Consider the current trend with this offense:
          –The Redskins are averaging 10.6 points in the 2nd half this season, ranked 20th. Last season the team was 9.6 points per game. So there has not been much improvement in that category.
          –The Redskins 2nd half Time of possession is paltry 46.15% of the share ranking them 27th in the league. Last season they were actually better with 50.80% of the share of possession time in the 2nd half.
          –Kirk Cousins QBR with in the 2nd half is 85.3 ranked 18th among starters.
          –Kirk Cousins Passing Touchdowns in the 2nd half is 7 which is a 6 way tie with 15 other QBs ahead of him in this 2nd half category.

My point is with all the stats above? How the team currently reacts by abandoning the running game isn’t working out well. The Redskins just don’t have the level of offensive passing efficiency to rely on throwing the ball to keep them in the game. This was a Gruden complaint back at Cincinnati.

You might also be right in getting Thompson the ball more since he does have a 7.1 average.

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Because running for 2 yards or less on a down where you need ten is like spotting the opponent a down and half the time giving them a yard or two, they SHOULD abandon the run – it isn’t working! I’d rather the team acknowledge they can’t run and throw the snot out of it sprinkling in the run as a change of pace because running on 1st or 2nd and ten is playing Canadian football.

Every opponent knows the Redskins WANT TO ESTABLISH the run so that they can play off it in the passing game. They have established the run once in seven games, winning the one time while establishing the run and winning the Tampa game in which it was a failure. When you have the will to establish the run and are DENIED it is far worse than simply acknowledging that it is not your strength and become a pass first team. Although it would be better that the Redskins establish the run, it is time to move on.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:43 PM

“Although it would be better that the Redskins establish the run, it is time to move on.”

Seems to be a career approach to football with Gruden coaching.

• hail74 - Nov 24, 2015 at 2:14 PM

How much of the improvement in the online do you credit to new players, new coach, different scheme, the quick passing game, a QB with better pocket awareness and the ability to read defenses presnap and something doesn’t get mentioned enough, just one QB all season? Think about it from the linemen’s perspective. Having 3 different QBs with 3 different habits has to be frustrating at times. One drops back farther than the others or one wants to roll out to quick, etc

• colmac69 - Nov 24, 2015 at 4:03 PM

Interesting on remaining schedule for east division

Combined record of redskins opponents is 24-36

Dallas has 35-25

Philly has 35-25

Nyg has 36-24

Prob mean nought in grand scheme but redskins couldn’t have asked for better opportunity if they can get over their inconcistent play

• bangkokben - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:39 PM

The question is what kind of team is Dallas? Somewhere between 3-0 with Romo and 3-7,

• John - Nov 24, 2015 at 9:36 PM

You love to quote those stats but ignore putting them in context.

Better at run blocking?
      Kind of hard to believe that. There have only been 3 games this year where they have had success running the ball. How many games have they finished well below 100.?
      Giants: take away Thompsons run i on the last play and you have what, 50?
      Carolina: 14 yards?
      Just a few examples.

Better pass blocking?
      Yeah, but unfortunately you never seem to give any of the credit to the change in qb to Cousins. It helps as a blocker if you know where the quarterback will be and that he gets rid of the ball quickly. Not the case with RG3 or Colt. How many times did they get sacked last year as opposed to Kirk per comparable numbers of passes? You can talk about deeper drops and different players but Robert would not move into the pocket and let the linemen do their job. He would often times make it easier for the other team to sack him by holding the ball to long and moving into sacks. You ignore that because you don’t like Cousins.

Stats in many cases not accurate.

17. John - Nov 24, 2015 at 5:41 PM

For all the whining about the Culliver penalty/negated TD, it would not have mattered as the Skins had their a$$%$ handed to them in a silver platter.

18. Nectar collector - Nov 24, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Unreal. Just heard Puenta still hasn’t taken Jon from liberius. Liberius starting again. Guess we better just pass because the liberius long combo not working out for running game

• Nectar collector - Nov 24, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Taken stArting job I meant

19. ajbus1 - Nov 24, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Rich,
    I was wondering if you have insight or an opinion on Bill Callahan’s lack of impact and the switch to a power oriented scheme? He was a much heralded hire and seemed like things were great leading up to the regular season.

20. goback2rfk - Nov 24, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Why keep grading Cousins over and over again. We know what Cousins is. He is who we thought he was..
    I want to see an article on Grading Scott M. 1st year. With all his draft picks and free agents broken down and graded. Now that would be an interesting article.

21. Delano - Nov 25, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Some one needs to reach out to Tiki Barber STAT!!!