Nov 17, 2015, 5:14 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, November 17, five days before the Washington Redskins play the Carolina Panthers.
Final thoughts following Redskins 47, Saints 14
—I can accept fans and media saying that Kirk Cousins has not yet proven that he is a franchise quarterback. In fact, I tend to agree with them. But I don’t get those who can look at Sunday’s game and at the comeback win over the Bucs and still say he will never be a quality quarterback. Yes, I get that the Saints defense is bad and that the Bucs are a mediocre team. But the Redskins have played hundreds of games against bad teams over the years and a quarterback has never posted a perfect passer rating or led a comeback from 24 down. Such performances have signature significance.
—Meet your new starting safety, ladies and gentlemen. Rookie Kyshoen Jarrett played 37 of the 58 defensive snaps. Sometimes he played near the line as a strong safety, at other times Dashon Goldson was in the box and Jarrett was lined up in the middle deep like a free safety. Jeron Johnson played 20 snaps at safety. Trenton Robinson, who played virtually every snap of the first seven games at safety, didn’t get on the field for a single defensive play.
—It was good to see Alfred Morris get going, gaining 92 yards on 15 carries and catching three passes (!) for 15 yards. I doubt that he will be back next year but it will be better for all if he can make a strong case for himself to get a solid free agent contract on a team that emphasizes zone running. He wasn’t going to do that going into the line, finding no running room, and averaging less than two yards per carry.
—If you don’t like hearing about playoff tiebreakers in mid-November, skip this item. One thing that the Redskins have going for them is that three of their losses are to AFC teams. They have just two NFC losses while the Giants and Eagles have four each. Conference record is fourth in the tiebreaking priority after head-to-head, division record, and record in common games. So, as Bill Murray said, they have that going for them.
—Hey, remember a long time ago, like about a month or so, when there was major hand wringing over the Redskins getting outscored in the third quarter? The storyline was that the coaches weren’t making halftime adjustments or getting the players fired up and they were coming out flat. Well, I guess that the coaches stopped texting their buddies and checking on how their fantasy lineups were doing at halftime and started making adjustments. In the last three games the Redskins have outscored their opponents 24-3. It’s also possible that they’re not doing anything different and the performance is simply reverting to the mean, but that isn’t as good a story.
—Today’s schedule: Player meetings, no media availability
—Days until: Redskins @ Panthers 5; Giants @ Redskins 13; Monday night Cowboys @ Redskins 21
In case you missed it:
- Tarik’s takeaways
- Is Redskins’ Hall making a move to safety?
- Why Compton could remain in starting lineup for Redskins
- Jay Gruden on Cousins : ‘Kirk’s a guy we’d like to keep around’
- Redskins’ Jay Gruden knows consistency is team’s next step
- NFL suspends Junior Galette for playing part in January incident
- Brandon Browner laid a nasty cheap shot on a Redskins lineman Sunday
- Despite shortcomings, the Redskins are playoff contenders
- Is it time to rethink the Cousins-turnover machine narrative?
- After a shaky start, Redskins defense shuts down the Saints
- Redskins’ Cousins, Jones put up impressive numbers
Follow Us On Twitter
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety