State of the Redskins, Week 10: A shuffle coming in the secondary?

Nov 11, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Culliver-vs.-Patriots

Here is where the Redskins stand in Week 10 of the NFL season.

Record: 3-5, 3rd in NFC East
vs. NFC East: 1-1
vs. NFC: 3-2
vs. AFC: 0-3
Home: 3-1
Away: 0-4

Key numbers changes from 2014-2015

source:

Rankings (through Sunday’s games)

Offense (yards/game): 329.0 (29th)
Defense (yards/game): 272.9 (21st)
Passer rating offense: 82.6 (24th)
Opp passer rating: 97.6 (24th )
Yards/rush attempt: 3.6 (30th)
Opp. yards/rush attempt:
 4.8 (30th)
DVOA through Week 9 (Football Outsiders): -8.8% (19th)

Top three storylines:

Code Red redux—After the expected loss to the Patriots, the Redskins sit at 3-5, the same record they have at the midway point last year. In 2014 they promptly lost six straight games and rapidly fell out of competition for anything. They can get off to a good start to avoiding a repeat of last year by beating the 4-5 Saints on Sunday. A win could have them within a game of first place in the NFC East. A loss with a trip to Charlotte to play the undefeated Panthers coming up next could trigger another slide.

Still getting ground up—The Redskins have had problems both running the ball and stopping the run. Oh, wait, you’ve heard that before? Well, it will continue to be a storyline here until the results change.

Shuffle in the secondary—It looks like changes are coming to the secondary. Some, like the returns of Chris Culliver and DeAngelo Hall to the field, are health related. Others, like the possibility that Jeron Johnson will get a shot at string safety, are coaches’ decisions. In any case, if the secondary gets stronger maybe Joe Barry will feel more comfortable sending extra pressure at opposing quarterbacks and we may see more big plays.

Next three games

Sunday vs. Saints (4-5)—The Saints had a nice little winning streak going until the lost to the Titans (1-6 going into the game) at home, allowing rookie Marcus Mariota to throw four TD passes in the process. Historically they are not as good a team playing outdoors on grass; we will see.

November 22 @ Panthers (8-0)—They have let blowouts turn into close games in each of the last two weeks but they beat the Colts and Packers to remain unbeaten. Cam Newton isn’t lighting it up statistically in the passing department but he is in the MVP conversation because he is getting it done with his legs and in the clutch.

November 29 vs. Giants (5-4)—The Giants are just a bad matchup for the Redskins. New York has won six of the last seven games between the two teams and most of them haven’t been competitive. Home division games are always important and this one will be no exception, particularly if the Redskins lose at Carolina.

1. abanig - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I think in the end the skins are what we thought they were. Mediocre at best. They’ll probably finish the season with 5 to 7 wins.

They’ve got a tough row to hoe here, but just keep in mind that the Giants schedule and I think the Cowboys schedules the final half of the season are tougher than he Redskins.

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM

In this league 5-7 wins may qualify as average.

• abanig - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Ok. That’s for saying exactly what I said ;)

• brucefan1 - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:16 PM

“In this league 5-7 wins may qualify as average.”

Did you leave out a “smiley” emoji after that comment, hail?

I mean, 7 — yes, might qualify as average. 17 of 32 teams finished with 7 or more wins last year. Pretty close to the median. (Fwiw, two finished at 8-8.)

But 5-11 or 6-10 — no way.

25 NFL teams had more than 5 wins in 2014. 22 had more than SIX wins. Sorry, but that does not make either of those records close to “average”.

But if you’ve been suffering thru 3 and 4 win seasons, they do sound kinda OK, don’t they? ;^}

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:54 PM

13 other teams currently have 3 or fewer wins. An additional 7 only have 4. I don’t actually think 16 teams will finish with 5 wins. That’s why I said 5-7 wins may qualify because that’s a realistic possibility for 20 other teams in this league as well.

• bangkokben - Nov 12, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Bruce, you’ve got to remember that with four teams hogging all the wins (Carolina, Cincinnati, New England and Green Bay: 31-1) this pushes down the middle to below a typical middle. The mean will likely be 6.5 wins. There are 16 teams with losing records and 5 teams with .500 records which of the following teams will end up with a .500 record or better?

Seattle 4-4
          Kansas City 3-5
          Houston 3-5
          Miami 3-5
          San Francisco 3-6
          or any of the SEVEN teams with a winning percentage of .250 or WORSE

2. red5skins - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:05 PM

There is only one stat that sums up this team LAST in big plays. Its not even close SD ranked 31st and they have 10 more big plays than us. This Offense stinks! Gruden was suppose to be offense minded coach so why do we stink so much? Jackson we know can get deep. Garcon not deadly fast but he is tough he will go get the ball from a defender we know that. crowder has been our best reciever in my eyes. Reed has been lights out! So wheres the problem hmmm… Heres another stat for you 29th in three and outs only three teams worse than us but we had less total drives so one could say we failed more on less opportunity. This D has been great. We don’t score, we dont have an offense who fault is that? Simple coach AND QB! They have to go simple. We are so bland on Offense i could gameplan against us. Let me see…. crowd the line on first. watch for short pass on second get after kirk on third recipe for success. Fire Gruden If we keep kirk fine maybe new system will bring out the captain in him if not we still got bob……for now! Rich you are the man

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Jackson has played all of one game, show me garçon going up to get the ball from defender, crowder and the injury prone reed have been lights out in the short passing game you hate so much, an offense used by many teams by the way and great isn’t how I would define this defense but your right, Rich is the man

• abanig - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Garcon can go deep, they said in the offseason that they’d send him on deeper routes more often, but they haven’t.

Every season he’s been in DC Garcon’s YPR has gotten less because they don’t send him downfield enough and it’s not that Garcon can’t go intermediate to deep and execute, he’s done it before and he can still do it.

2012 – 14.4
        2013 – 11.9
        2014 – 11.1
        2015 – 10.2

And 2015 was supposed to be the year that Garcon got to play Jackson’s position some and they’d send him on more intermedi to deep routes, what’s happened to that?

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Yes he can go deep, we’ve seen that a couple times this year, but he doesn’t battle or high point the ball at all which is what I was referring to

• abanig - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:03 PM

That’s not exactly a skill that is just growing on trees with wide receivers.

There aren’t that many Calvin Johnson, AJ Green’s, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant’s or Damarius Thomas’ in the league…

The best team in the NFL has a tight end that is 6’6, but they don’t have a WR that high points Pass, they really don’t even have a deep treat.

Having a WR like that is a great luxury to have, but it’s not a necessity and the majority of Redskins fans have acted like it’s a necessity for a decade. Just because we don’t have a WR that can high point balls doesn’t mean we can’t have a good or even great offense.

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:53 PM

No, I don’t think we need an all pro, but a possession receiver would be nice. However my whole point was that red5 said that garçon can go get the ball from a defender and I haven’t seen him do that.

• abanig - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Pierre Garcon is the definition of a possession WR. One that does most of his work between 5 and 20 yards and makes a lot of first down catches and catches over the middle.

I’d say that Ryan Grant is a possession WR also, but several games this year Grants hands have been questionable. He dropped two balls in the Phila game and has dropped a few others have his year. I had him pegged as a Gary Clark type in the future who wasn’t the fastest cat, but ran great routes and made tough catches. I hope he can still get there, I’m a bit worried about it. That being said, he is really only in his first season that he’s saw extensive playing time in the NFL.

• red5skins - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Hey you remember this https://youtu.be/46oDhMmDysI

• red5skins - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:53 PM

our defense is on the field way too much. Three and outs = good field position for the other team and no rest for D. They have spots to improve but when healthy nobody wants to play this D. D is great- not elite or perfect but easily top 15 d to have this year. An Offense used by many teams but last i checked we wanted to run and this offense got us the worst stats and 3 wins at halfway point so maybe its not for us. Garcon TD catch vs philly on a short pass garcon made the play attacked the ball. he aint megatron only one of those but he is tough and he attacks that ball stop HATING!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM

“show me garçon going up to get the ball from defender”

Seriously? No receiver does a better job of fighting for position on a defender to get a completion. Jackson does a great job of positioning himself for the ball on deep passes but Garcon is the one that continuously out muscles defenders.

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Like against Miami? Give me a play where garçon has battled for the ball skinsname. I’m not trashing him or saying he’s bad, I like him, but I have not seen one receiver this year battle for the ball, instead they sit and wait for it. Just tell me the game where I’m wrong and I’ll apologize

• abanig - Nov 12, 2015 at 5:17 AM

Look, I can’t exactly the Miami drop is obvious because it was recent and it’s rare Garcon times his jump that bad and can’t even make s play on the ball.

Garcon is not a 6’3+ WR who’s going to go up and dominate defenders and high point balls that he can’t. I agree he isn’t.

Garcon is a possession WR who can make tough catches in traffic and occasionally get down the field on intermediate to deep routes of his coaches send him on those passes.

I don’t specifically remember Garcon high pointing passes in his career, but I remember him making some acrobatic grabs that were sometimes one handed catches because they were so off target the last 4 years and in my eyes those catches are just as hard and just as special. M

Now let’s think for a second in Redskins recent history, like the last 35 years since the days of Monk even, the only athletic freak WR that I remember the Redksins having that high pointed balls and made those types of catches was Michael Westbrook.

Other than that, in 35 years the skins have t had a big physical WR who could high point balls.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I recall that one quite well. That was the one where the defender was able to read the downfield pass and grab the ball from Garcon. Yes, Garcon lost that battle but if you wanted to be balanced about it had something to do with the pass thrown. the ball was over his outside shoulder when Garcon’s momentum was going toward the side line. So the pass gave the trailing defender a slightly better position on the ball. In that same game itself i know he had a few hard fought catches.

I can’t describe specific plays now but you are talking about a guy who has made it a career here of being physical on defenders. The next time I watch a replay game on NFL.com, I’ll try to remember to review the few he at least caught against Miami.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Okay look at the 1:07 mark with the catch against the San Diego defender. Again, I don’t know how we could be discussing Garcon’s ability to make contested catches. He is a tough as they come and maybe YAC maybe more about his rep. However, the physicality of this guy tells me there is no doubt he’ll win more contested catches than he’ll lose when the opportunity presents itself.

• hail74 - Nov 12, 2015 at 6:28 AM

Ok good you found a play two years old. Once again please pay attention to what I’m saying. I don’t dispute that garçon is a good receiver, I’m a big fan of his. I am merely responding to the notion that our big play offense,this year, shouldn’t be struggling because garçon can go take ball from defender. I’ve not seen him or any other receiver actually do anything but wait for the ball to come to them.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 12, 2015 at 7:41 AM

“I’ve not seen him or any other receiver actually do anything but wait for the ball to come to them.”

I just picked the first highlight real on Garcon. I understand you see Garcon as a good WR.

Part of what you are asking for requires for the situation to present itself. Many passes are not ones where receivers “wait for the ball” at all. That phrase makes it look like their job is easy. Routes are being executed and if the QB is accurate then they are catching the ball in stride. However, many catches are in the middle of the field where they absorb major hits are catching the ball or with defenders on top of them. YAC are as big part of big plays. However PG is probably the only WR we have that can break off defenders for big yards after catches. The other WRs are small. So a big part for the lack of big plays is the lack of big body WRs. Also, Jackson just returned so give him time and he’ll get a few. Overall, the lack of big play has to do with how the coaches ran the offense for 26 quarters. They were playing a small field only giving Cousins 15 yards to work with. Recently the receivers have been stretching the field more challenging WRs. It just needs to continue.

• brucefan1 - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:44 PM

“This D has been great”

Can’t say I disagree with most of what ya posted, red5skins — except that statement above. The Skins defense seemed to start the season OK, but numbers seem to indicate that lately its been pretty much downhill all the way.

And not so much where we thought the problem might be — in the defensive backfield! Even with all those injuries (or “whatever?” in Jeron Johnson’s case!), the DB’s have pretty much held their own, imo. (Perhaps due to the run defense being been so porous?) It’s the Front Seven have performed with woeful inadequacy — now matter WHICH seven players they have actually been.

As you can see in Rich The Man’s chart above, the Skins are 21st in total yards against, 24th in oppo passer rating, and 30th in oppo yds per rush. Even with a GOOD offense, those numbers don’t seem to indicate the the defense would be pulling close to its fair share of the weight.

• red5skins - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I feel like our offense puts D in terrible positions. If we held onto the ball more sustained some drives it would help our d stats tremendously! Its hard to keep playing at a high level when you are always on the field. We need a safety who can tackle. I agree our dbs are outstanding breeland on his way to shutdown corner status haven’t seen enough of culliver but he is definitely a starting caliber corner at the least. I like what pot roast is doing when he out there and preston smith. Hatcher is ok. They need offense to help. I see the Defense as an improvement and will keep improving and IMO you can blame offense for their struggles.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM

I do think the defense has gotten more opportunistic with more turnovers and has improved their open field tackling this season. The front line is struggling to get consistent pressure on QBs but you are not going to get much of that on a guy like Brady who averages 2.1 per seconds on his release. Anyway. the same fans where screaming about lack of turnovers earlier when the defense was holding offenses to few yards didn’t acknowledge how they were keeping the game close for a flailing Cousins passing attack. Now some are screaming about giving up too many yards but ignore the fact they have yielded more turnovers. So the same crowd here remains insatiable about the defense needing to do more and not only ignores the turnovers but injuries that have compiled to the struggles.

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:48 PM

If the defense was suffering do to the offense failing then they would be giving up less yards because of poor field position. How can you say it’s the offenses fault when the defense gets run over on the first drive of the game?

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:00 PM

You don’t disagree with his notion that Jackson should have been used more this season? Interesting. Or that garçon isn’t an issue either? I agree the big play has been lacking, we all can agree on that, but not because of those reasons. Gruden needs to start having faith in all his players, that’s the problem. Unless of course the young receivers are just total dog meat in practice.

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:37 PM

“Jackson we know can get deep”…”This D has been great”. Hoe lee chit. I had no idea Stevie Wonder was a Redskins fan. Welcome Stevie!

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:18 PM

We’ve been terrible at running since Lauvao and then Kory Lichtensteiger got hurt.

I think Spencer Long is learning and has promise (remember, Cleveland didn’t like Lauvao, and we didn’t like him last year either…only this year did he finally start to show his skills).

But LeRib is just brutal. I suspect we see de la Puente in at center sooner rather than later.
    ~

4. redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Maybe I’m missing something here Rich but should the projected margin for opponent passer rating be +10?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:22 PM

My bad since I meant +11. I’d expect the +/- to reflect the opposite in some of those cases.

• hail74 - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM

-11. Probably not that hard to do considering we’re talking -11 from 108.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM

I understand the -11 but the +/- is normally a valued based differential. So the conversion would be a increase 11 value points. I normally read this from basketball so I don’t know how it works for football.

5. kenlinkins - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:48 AM

My first shot at the Redskins 2016 Draft: 1. RB E. Elliott Oh St (if WR Treadwell is gone) 2. Center N. Martin 6″4′ 305 N.D. 3. TE H. Henry 6″5′ 253 Ark 4. FS D. Bush 6″1′ 210 Mai 5. CB W. Lyons 6″0′ 200 M St 6. QB K. Hogen 6″4′ 225 Stanford 7. DT T. Harris 6″3′ 305 7. ILB T Schmidt 6″0′ 235 N.D. Feel free to take your shots but I like this draft a lot.

• goback2rfk - Nov 12, 2015 at 2:16 AM

I like your picks but it all rests on what pick we actually get. If we end up middle of the pack your draft board could be screwed up.

• kenlinkins - Nov 12, 2015 at 6:06 AM

I used the 12th pick for this run with the draft simulator.

• abanig - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Id like the Redskins to focus on building a defense that can equate to the best defenses in the NFL and slow down the best offenses in the NFL.

The greatest issue the Redskins have had since 2010 when Shanahan was hired is that their defense has never been above average and other than 2011, the defense has been far below average every other year.

I’m not sure how people don’t remember last decade. When the Redksins has Gregg Williams, and players like Sean Taylor, Ryan Clark, Laron Landry, London Fletcher, LaVar Arrington, Champ Bailey, Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin, Antonio Pierce, and Marcus Washington the Redskins had good to great defenses and because of that teams didn’t score often on them.

Remember the runs when our scoring defense was under 20 points a game, and sometimes under 15 points a game?

Remember when our offense couldn’t score a lot but we had Clinton Portis and played ball control offense?

Because our defense didn’t allow a lot of points, it didn’t matter that our offense was average.

I want to get back to those days!

The Redskins need to start building their defense like the Broncos, Bengals, Seahwks, Jets, Panthers, Bills, Cardinals, and Vikings if the skins do that then I guarentee you they’ll win some more football games.

Sure we need a few upgrades to our offense like a true blocking TE – if Paul can’t come back and be that – and a big physical WR who can catch anything over anyone but the later is not the easiest thing to find.

What’s more important is that the Redksins have a lock down defense and become the best defense in the division really soon. If the Redskins stay with Cousins and keep developing their young OL and young playmakers while adding a few, they’ll quickly become the best team in the nfce and will start winning the Dickson nearly every year.

The only way I’d take offensive players in this draft in the first three rounds is if their talent greatly exceeds any offensive player on the board or if Cousins totally falls on his face the last 8 weeks and it’s clear we don’t have a QB we can build with and we must draft a new one.

• thirdistheworrd - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM

RB in the first round? Seriously? Before a center who can block for said RB? I don’t think center should be our first pick either, but with better blocking and a few years experience under his belt, I think Matt Jones could be a top 5 RB in the league and picking up an RB in the first is essentially forfeiting our third from last year also. I like McCloughan’s philosophy of taking the best available player– that’s how you build a real team. Ergo, I think it’s easier to view our drafts as a series of priorities rather than individual players or positions. I’d say
      1.S (Duh)
      2.C (Duh)
      3. WR (Speedy receivers are like sports cars– I sank about 3000 dollars to try to keep my 94 Mustang running long after it’s time to go, let’s hope the Skins don’t make the same mistake with DJax)
      4. CB (Its sucks, but we all know Hall has at most one year left in the tank)
      5. ILB (I like Riley and Compton, but if we could provide a superstar next to Robinson, the whole defense would play better)
      6. LG (I like Lauvao, but still, I want to make sure LeRibeus never plays again)
      7. QB (Deep QB class and it would be nice if we could groom somebody behind Cousins for a couple years)

So when I say priorities, what I mean is that if a stud ILB, CB, or WR like Jaylon Smith, Vernon Hargreaves, or Laquon Treadwell, respectively is around on our first pick, the #5 priority could become our #1 pick. Basically we should go with BPA, but hopefully be able to follow this basic formula.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Well stated and couldn’t find anything to disagree with regarding this approach.

6. Diehardforlife - Nov 12, 2015 at 2:26 AM

Ooh. Those stats are a buzz kill. Wow. Let hope for better next part of season. Seems like there’s
    Progresss this year but after reading those stats idk