Need to Know: Has Redskins QB Cousins shaken the turnover bug?

Nov 11, 2015, 4:52 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, November 11, four days before the Washington Redskins host the New Orleans Saints.

Five early thoughts on Redskins vs. Saints

—Drew Brees is still one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL but the Redskins are getting him where he plays his worst—outside. In his career Brees has played 107 games outdoors and 104 in a domed or retractable roof stadium (remember his first five years in the league he played in an outdoor stadium in San Diego). His teams posted a winning percentage of .606 in domes and .542 outside. As far as his personal stats, his completion percentage is 5 points lower outside, his passer rating is 12 points lower, his passing yards per attempt drop 10 percent, and his passing yards per game drop 19 percent.

—The Redskins have had problems running the ball the last four games, as you well know. But in those four games they have faced the top three rushing defenses in the NFL in terms of yards given up per game. The Jets are first, the Falcons second and the Patriots third. Their other opponent in that stretch was the Bucs, who are right in the middle of the pack at 16th. A strong defense will not be a factor this week. The Saints give up an average of 122.6 yards per game, 25th in the NFL. If they can’t get a running game going this week they might want to look at going with the Run and Shoot attack on offense.

—There is some buzz that Jeron Johnson may replace Trenton Robinson at strong safety and that Will Compton could take Perry Riley’s place at inside linebacker. Johnson could help against the run and Compton could provide better pass coverage. The possible return for DeAngelo Hall, who has missed the last five games with a toe injury, could help, too. They will need all the help they can get as the Saints are the top-ranked offense in the NFL, gaining an average of 422 yards per game.

—Has Kirk Cousins broken out of his propensity to throw the ball to the other team? He has just one pick in his last nine quarters of play and even the most ardent Cousins skeptics admit that that one was on Pierre Garçon for having a very catchable pass go through his hands. The Bucs and Patriots aren’t among the league leaders in interceptions; New England is 11th with 2.9 percent of the opponents’ passes picked off and Tampa Bay is 21st with 2.2 percent. So it’s not like Cousins has been facing a group of ball hawks. The Saints are even worse at interceptions with 1.2 percent of opponents’ pass attempts, 28th in the league.

—Most figured the Redskins would have to score in the 30’s to beat the Patriots. That turned out to be true, at least in theory. Using static analysis, they would have won if they had scored 30 points, although in reality Tom Brady and the Patriots probably could have cranked it up and scored another touchdown or two if they had needed to. The Redskins will probably need to be somewhere close to 30 to win this one. The Saints have scored 26 points or more in five of their last six games. It’s notable, though, that the only game where they failed to score that many points was the only game in that stretch that was played outdoors; they scored 17 in their loss at Philadelphia in Week 5.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:35; Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30

Days until: Saints @ Redskins 4; Redskins @ Panthers 11; Giants @ Redskins 18

170 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Rich Tandler - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:59 AM

Another warning, folks. I have set up for comments to be filtered for language. Keep it clean or it goes to spam and gets deleted.

2. garg8050 - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:24 AM

I’m hopeful they can get the running game going and get off to a fast start. As good as Brees is, he isn’t as good outdoors and he will definitely throw the ball to the other team. Plus, running the ball will keep Brees on the sideline. I would love to see the ‘Skins control the ball for 35-37 minutes. If the running game gets going, I see a 27-19 win, or something close to that.

3. Skins4lyfe - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:07 AM

Kirk Cousins throws a slant that could have been a 30 yd play, PG drops it and it’s making headlines that he’s a better QB now

RG throws the ball DOWNFIELD for what would have been a TD to PG. he drops it and RG is benched after next game.

Got it

• Rich Tandler - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:44 AM

I believe that’s what he is asking

• therealistcat - Nov 13, 2015 at 7:40 AM

I see his point Rich, you guys saw this more than any of us. Griffin was making progress in the offseason. I went to several practices and came away feeling confident in what he could do when the season started. I could see the talent difference between him and the other two Quarterbacks. There was nothing done (especially not allowing a preseason game) to determine this man losing his job. You guys helped write some of the reports about Griffins progress during OTA and training camp, and you are acting like it didn’t happen. I must admit I am quite disappointed in the DC media in how you are handling the erroneous benching of RG III.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 13, 2015 at 9:24 AM

So I suppose you spent hours after practice reviewing practice film of RG3 and Cousins like the coaches did and stake your career on making the right decision, a decision that like ran counter to the wishes of the people who sign your paycheck.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But that does not make the benching “erroneous” and the media is not obligated to to do something simply because you disagree.

• colorofmyskinz - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:28 AM

RG was benched for a body of work over years. Not one pass or one game.

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:46 AM

He was benched because Jay is another coach who thinks his system and play calling is above the players and won’t change it to maximize his player’s talents

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Lol benched for what? If so why did no one in entire NFL offer a trade deal for rg3 before deadline? Not one team wanted him that should b enough. Not one expert thinks he’s good

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Tim, have you forgotten about the list of injuries for him? You don’t think his tendency for injury has anything to do with his 3rd stringer role?

• realfan82 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Blackbutcolorblind because of the 16 mil injury clause maybe?

• Trey Gregory - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:15 AM

That is simply not true Tim. Get off planet delusional. I’m a big RG3 fan too, but there’s multiple reasons he won’t ever play a down in DC again and why he was benched.

I think the #1 reason is because he lost the locker room. The offense obviously didn’t want to play for him. It was so apparent in the pre season. If you can’t see that, you were watching through some sort of fan filter. He may still have a decent career, but too much damage had been done in DC for him to ever succede there again.

And just because you (we) are RG3 fans doesn’t mean we can’t support Cousins and give credit where credit is due. He obviously hasn’t been a top QB, but he’s played better than I thought he would. I have also seen improvement as the season goes on. Cousins is playing well enough for us to win if the team around him (mainly defense) gets it together. Cousins is dangerously close to being considered an average QB of starting caliber.

• timwillhide - Nov 12, 2015 at 3:19 AM

” Cousins is dangerously close to being considered an average QB of starting caliber.”

Is that what we are striving for at the QB position? Or do we want someone with the potential to be Great?

I would prefer one with the talent and potential to be great. That is why I would prefer to build around the one that has shown greatness.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Tim: I was joking a little bit when I said that. Because, this offseason, a lot of us said that all we needed was RG3 to play average for this roster to win. That’s where a lot of us set the bar for RG3.

And greatness isn’t really achieved overnight. It’s completely unrealistic for NFL fans to think every QB is going to step into the league and be great or else we should just give up on them. Cousins is showing flashes of being a good QB. He’s making improvements. That’s a lot better than what we’ve have in 2013 and 2014. I want you to focus on the word IMPROVEMENTS. That’s means he’s getting better, and hopefully will continue to get better. Meaning that he could actually be a great QB someday. We don’t know because he had t hit his ceiling yet. I believe he’s had a whole 17 starts? Give him time.

The fact of the matter is that every franchise can’t have Aaron Rogers. Everyone needs to accept that. Doesn’t mean that you throw out a decent QB when he comes along

• 1222tmiller - Nov 12, 2015 at 2:24 PM

@Trey, you are right on about Cousins. He has had 2 games this season were he looked like an average starting QB. And his last 4 games have been consistently better then his first half of the season. Not sure what Cousins ceiling is, we won’t know until he hits it. I think this season is all about “Has Cousins improved enough by the end of the year to get another season?”

I also think RG3 has a lot of potential. But he has been mis-handled by ownership (Dan). He should have kept his distance and made it easier for the coaching staff to have a proper player – coach relationship / hierarchy. In addition, it takes more then the off season to learn to be a pocket QB. RG3 has at least 2 – 3 years to be an average pocket QB. Maybe more. And you have to be worried about him learning on the job as he will get hurt. If the league thought RG3 is a starting QB right now, the 16mil would not have scared anyone. What that says is every other team thinks he is a project. And I bet there are 2 or 3 teams, with already established starting QBs, that will take him and hope he can learn to be a pocket passer sooner then later (2 – 3 years).

I am hoping for the best for both QBs as they seem like great guys.

• Stephfan - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:53 AM

He had two almost full seasons, even commentators have said it. Gruden doesn’t like rg3. But Kirk start 3 games for shanahan 0-3, 5 last year 0-5, all this year behind a better defense than what rg3 had at the time… And cousins leads the league in ints and Is 3-5 but he is best qb on the team in gruden’so eyes. Real fans know what time it is

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:58 AM

“Cousin leads league in int”. Not true. Peyton manning has more and others do too. Cousins has 86 qb rating. Middle of league and lead 3 comebacks in 5 games under pressure with no running game.

• Stephfan - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:02 AM

First off black, Kirk was leading at a point. Second those come from behind wins were against two teams, bucs who are trash.. And the Eagles… That’s it. But did he win against the jets, nope, the Falcons? Nope, or even the pats? Nope? Or even the hapless fins? Nope

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:10 AM

I wasn’t involved in the decision to bench Griffin but it came after yet another injury. One that no one even knew how it happened. And after another pathetic showing. Seems to me that both of those recurring issues were decisive factors in showing Bob the nuances of the free safety position during practice.

• Skulb - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM

He doesnt lead the league. Funny that you´re still repeating this lie here even though I´ve told you this repeatedly. It´s almost as if you have an agenda.

• renhoekk2 - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Griffin’s last 20 games…..5W-15L, 26T0’s 71 sacks. That’s why he’s not playing. Not because Gruden doesn’t want to start a better player for personal reasons.

• Stephfan - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:50 AM

And how many ints has Kirk thrown

• warpath1 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:13 AM

You lead this message board in cousins hate. I have an idea, if you hate the QB, the coaches, the owner…etc, why don’t you go find a team you like

• Stephfan - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Warpath I barely comment in this blog so I doubt I’m leading anyone in here in hate. All I’ve said is the same thing. I have no faith in cousins or this coach. I had no faith in either of them when they came to the team. And just because I love the team doesn’t mean I have to like everything bout the team. And I like the gm, owner and other coaches. Except gruden. I like cousins as a person but football player hail no

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Today I will laugh at these foolish people who all probably signed the petition to fire Gruden and bench Cousins and play Bob…I laugh at your lunacy….

• warpath1 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM

There are no great head coaches out there looking for work. I’m sure Snyder tried to hire a better one, but what good coach is going to want to work for a meddling owner. We were lucky to find a good OC to take the job.

• goback2rfk - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM

There are some good coaches out there. Lobster face is available. Shanahan was a great coach and his son Kyle is an offensive mastermind. Kyle will be a head coach someday and win a superbowl. The Shanahan crew should have never been let go. They were victimized by the Rg3 debacle.

• JOHNNY B - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:21 PM

Well wrong again Luck held the record for ints since week 1. Also Cousins is the best of our 3 QBs to play Grudens system.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:20 AM

Steph, Cousins isn’t even 2nd in the league in INTs. His stats are actually a lot better than many big name QBs right now. Or many QBs who don’t catch nearly the same amount of crap.

Maybe he was leading in INTs at one point (I’m not sure that’s true though). We were also leading the league in rushing at one point, doesn’t mean we have a great rushing game. Stats can be deceiving in small samples.

And QBs don’t win or lost games all on their own. I put 2 losses (especially vs the Giants) on Cousins this year. That’s it. The rest, he did his job and played good enough. The team around him failed.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:24 AM

You guys also realize that great head coaches have lots of options and don’t want to go to Washington right? Why would a great coach with his choice of multiple franchises chose to coach in Washington with a bad roster and a meddling owner that fires coaches before they’ve really had time to implement a plan? Firing coaches every two years isn’t a good way to attract coach or free agent talent.

Gruden may not be a HOF coach. Maybe he will be, he’s in his second year, we don’t really know who he is yet. But I know he’s good enough to get this team through a rebuild the next 2-4 years. Then, with a better roster, Scot as GM, and hopefully Snyder proving he can stay out of they way: then many we can attract a top coach. But all those things have to happen first. Fire Gruden and we are not guaranteed an upgrade

• greed - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:29 AM

ding ding ding give this poster a prize! That what happens when a coach predetermines who he wants to play

• goback2rfk - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:37 AM

And the Rg3 vs. kirk cousins debate is reignited. That old flame just wont die out. Rg3! Rg3!! Rg3!!!

• Skulb - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:41 AM

You can have him. Please follow him into the unemployment lines when he gets cut.

• warpath1 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I don’t think rg will be unemployed, but those who still think he is a great QB should definitely go be a fan of that team

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Bob should show some love since Skins gave up so much. I think renegotiate, take league minimum. And set on bench and learn game with Redskins.

• 1222tmiller - Nov 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM

RG3 may not know how to be a pocket passer, but I bet he can learn. There are at least 3, maybe 5 teams that think the same. But they all see him as a project. He needs a team with a solid #1 already in place so there is no controversy and he is the #2/3 QB learning the craft. But no team our there thinks he is a #1 QB right now. I don’t think it works with him on a team without an established #1 because of the attention he will get. No coach wants to bring in a project and have him be a distraction. So staying here to continue learning would be a mistake for the team.

• Skulb - Nov 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM

I just dont see it and I don’t think you know whether there’s three or zero teams interested in him. Hes not just a project with obvious baggage but also a pretty intimidating injury record by now. It would surprise me if even one team had an interest right now.
          The way I look at it is like this: if I were running an NFL team, would I want to sign Griffin? And I just immediately start thinking about the draft and FA when I ask myself this question.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 13, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Skulb, buddy, let’s not get carried away.

Of course none of us know for sure how many team are interested in RG3. But it’s extremely unlikely that no teams are interested in him.

The NFL is starved for QBs and he’s had success before. RG3’s potential is astronautical. I’m not talking about running the read option either. He used to throw amazing passes with anticipation and accuracy. He doesn’t anymore, that’s the rub. People don’t know if that’s because he lost it or if that’s because of the nonsense that happened to him in Washington.

I’m not saying they’re interested in him as a #1 QB. But as a backup with potential to develop and compete for the starting gig? Oh yeah, not a doubt in my mind. Don’t be subject to hyperbole just because you don’t personally see it.

There was no trade interest because of the 16 mil guaranteed contract. But once that’s gone, he will get swooped up quick. NFL coaches can’t help but think they can fix players where other couldn’t. They will want to see if RG3 can recapture that lightning once he’s out of Washington.

I personally think he can. I still think the best thing for him would be to go to a place like Dallas where he could sit behind an established starter for a couple years and develop then take over when Romo retires. But I also think he could come out and play okay if he went to a team that started him right away. He used this offseason to hone his skills in the pocket, has been doing the same the rest of the year, and would have another offsesson to do it.

It’s a little ridiculous that we give up on these young guys so quick. But I think people forget how good this guy used to be. There’s a reason he was drafted so high, Washington just squandered that. The potential is still oozing out of him. We just won’t ever see him succede in Washington again. Way too much damage done. It’s mind blowing that other people can’t see that and continue to be upset that he’s not starting.

• berniebernard666 - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM

your boy is not very good. He is a failure as a quarterback. that may be why he was benched.

• sikologik - Nov 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM

somebody’s still butthurt.

• will1950 - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM

So true! those Redskins and Cousins faithful are trying really, really hard to justify him as a starting NFL QB, when he clearly is not! has he fixed his turnover bug, I doubt it seriously, he is just in a lull that will not last for long. Soon, he will revert back to the same old Cousins! I have never seen a news media/sports columnist and fans who bow down to Cousins and seem willing to forgive his every mistake. If RG3 was playing like Cousins, he would have gotten the axe like he has already! Trade Griffin to another team and let him get on with his NFL career. Cousins don’t need anyone looking down his back, cause at some point he will self destruct on his own!!

• Trey Gregory - Nov 13, 2015 at 1:02 AM

Will, you’re just dead wrong. You’re obviously watching Cousins with bias and not seeing his actual play on the field. Forget the win/loss record of this season, that is a team stat. Just watch Cousins play. He has improved as the season has progressed and he’s played well his last couple games.

We would not be bashing RG3 if he were playing like this. I would be out of my mind excited if RG3 was playing like this because I’m a huge fan of his and that would mean he had a chance to stay on in DC and win some games for us.

That INT vs New England was just blatantly not Cousins’ fault. There’s no way around that. It’s not a fan thing, it’s the truth. He threw a great pass that hit Garcon in the hands and he couldn’t bring it in. Just like Garcon should have caught that ball in the pre season. Just about everyone said that wasn’t RG3’s fault either. But that also wasn’t the reason he was benched. So you guys are taking a nonissue and making it a thing. Comparing two things that are not relevant to each other. Nobody said RG3 should be benched after that dropped pass. In fact, he mostly got good reviews after that game. Everyone just wanted to see more. We never did. What we saw was an offense who didn’t want to play for their QB vs Detroit. Then we saw the offense instantly come alive and play better when McCoy came on the field. Not because the QB play improved, but because they wanted to play for the guy under center. That’s what changed. Be pissed about it all you want, but RG3 lost that locker room and that’s why he was benched and won’t play another down in DC ever again. Too much damage done.

It’s so pointless to hate on Cousins because you prefer RG3. Griffin isn’t a real option to ever play again. He won’t get the nod even if Cousins plays downright awful. McCoy will. Then if McCoy plays bad they’ll go back to Cousins. RG3 is not in this equation. He may as well not be on the roster. Just accept that and let’s all move on.

4. colorofmyskinz - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:14 AM

Honestly, this is more of a code red than the Tampa game. If we win this, it could give us the confidence to compete with panthers. If we lose this we will for sure lose to panthers and start a brutal losing streak in my opinion. Another reason for code red: if we lose we go 3-6. Yes that is right, we will be 3-6 for a 4th season straight. That would secure the losing culture of the past where a mega losing streak is likely. We need to break this 9 game start of only 3-6. We have to break this cycle.

Running game. Well we have 4 new linemen this year compared to last year, and only 3 of the 5 were this years starters. We have blocking problems for sure. Morris has hole finding problems and has no gas in the tank. Just not fearful period. Jones has problems waiting for the holes to develop, if any, and now is a fumbleruskie problem. I don’t know why we even call it “our running game”. Like we had one – for 2 of 8 games. We DON’T have one.

Compton vs Riley??? Yawnnnn. Both would not make 2nd or 3rd string on 31 other teams. I still can’t believe we placed Martrell Spaight on IR fir his concussion. He must not have been able to identify his own mom or something. How many has he had? I have never seen someone placed on season ending IR for concussion for their first NFL concussion. I don’t get it. Even if we sat him 6-7 games and he is fine now we could use him.

Cousins is the real deal. What the hell happened to our receiving Corp – dropped passes right on target. Garçon was horrible. Not even respectable. I think it is more clear that we have a QB that is better than our last 7 QBs or so. May not be franchise material but surely is above average and that is all we need. I think we can focus on fixing other big issues like TE, WR, running game line development (need another guard and center maybe), ILB, DE, OLB, safety, CB.

Must win code red. This game can keep the possibility of title out their or completely shut it down. Code red the rest of the year honestly.

• bangkokben - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Guys like Spaight and Justin Rogers end up on IR in a year where there are a lot of nagging injuries to starters and when your team decides it has a 52 man roster instead of a 53. Griffin is the contingency if your worst fears become reality and the Redskins don’t win another game this year.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:51 AM

The best results of the season so far is Maybe we don’t need a qb anymore and can fill more holes this offseason. Cousins has shown improvement in every area including leadership. He really has been a pleasant surprise. I thought he would be our qb of future but he’s even doing Better than I thought he would. And yes Compton and Riley are among the absolute worst in entire league at that position. As Cooley always says Riley is the best blocked linebacker in the league and I see it now. He’s a blockers magnet. He gets hooked up with block and dissappears til playa over. I think that’s a big problem with our run defense too

• ET - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:10 PM

I agree insofar as the QB situation seems somewhat promising / not too terrible, and there are some other building blocks in place. This team has a lot of potential, especially if Scot can continue to improve the team in the offseason. Having said that, Cousins has a non-elite ceiling, so those other pieces are crucial. There are still a lot of position holes to fill, even if players like Niles Paul and Junior Galette can come back and contribute well next year.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 13, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Black and ET: what you both said is right on. Refreshing to hear that from other fans. Cousins has been a pleasant surprise. But I don’t think any of us believe he’s ever going to be elite. Doesn’t mean we can’t win games if we souround him with talent.

• kss0770 - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:14 PM

You’re on point

• will1950 - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Compete with the Panthers! that is laughable, not as long as Gruden is the coach and Cousins is the QB! You guys are no where near ready to compete with the Panthers, you need to focus on being competitive with the Cowboys, Giants or Eagles, forget the Panthers, they are in a league of their own in the NFC.

5. sidepull - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Indoors, outdoors, Brees is a great QB. What I dont want is to see the Brees from the Giants game! And the Redskins have a habit out of making teams that have poor stats, in this case defensive, look like world beaters. You are right, if they cant run this game they better be ready to unleash something else and make a real game of it. Thats what the Giants did, air it out.

6. garg8050 - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Half of the so-called fan base will be in mourning the day Griffin is finally released or traded….lunacy

• sidepull - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Maybe that so called fan base wasn’t really Redskins fans but just fans of RG3. When he moves on they will probably follow him to the new team. I wish them well. I think its OK to root for a QB on a team but rooting for a QB on the Redskins to lose, just to make a point, I wont miss that kind of “fan”. Rg3, Cousins, whoever, just get us out of the basement please! HTTR.

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:08 AM

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Black is not back with rg3. He maybe my bother but the man can’t play. Terrible in pros

• realfan82 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM

yeah I thought something was wrong with your name, what black person talks like that?

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM

I sure hope he has curbed the picks. We really won’t know until he throws down field more. Hopefully they start doing that soon

• Skulb - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:45 AM

And we all know your fondest dream is that he will throw lots of picks in every game so you can spew your endless baloney here to your heart´s content. When he doesn´t throw picks you apparently don´t know what to do with yourself here. And of course you lie awake at night hoping that the team will lose so you can get rid of “racist Gruden” too.

To even call someone like you a fan of the Redskins is a bad joke. Of all the fairweather, bandwagon fetish fans I´ve found on the web you´re by far the worst of them. And that´s saying something.

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Section 426 row 16 seat 21
          12/7/2015 show up or shut up
          Internet tough guy

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:28 PM

I forgot you won’t spend money to support the team. Me being a season ticket holder means I sat on the waiting list for over a decade before I got a chance to buy them.

I have bin on this blog longer than anyone currently commenting and haven’t seen you till recently when you wanted to bash a hockey QB.

Hmmmm who is the fairweather fan. Like I said show up or shut up

• gasngo14 - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:55 PM

but his name says he will hide …..?

• Trey Gregory - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Seriously Tim? You can’t handle words so it’s show up or shut up? You’re pathetic.

• timwillhide - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM

This dude bows off to me every time I post something and never has any stats or anything to back his lips up. He has racist remarks before I had my pic up because he assumed I was black on articles in CSN. I’m sick of him being a internet tough guy. He wants to blow off constantly come blow off to my face. Or shut up. I can have a civil debate with anyone. There are about 4 people on here lately that can’t.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 13, 2015 at 12:50 AM

So then ignore him. I’ve never had any of those issues with him or seen any of that from him, especially racism, that’s a pretty heavy accusation man. But I can understand your frustration if you feel that way, but then just ignore him.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re not an awful human being who wants to fight people because they disagree with him and just say that was a slip because you got frustrated. But that’s what the Internet is man. I put my name next to everything I say because I want to be taken serious and hate how people get when they hide behind a screen too. But that doesn’t mean everyone else is going to play along. Just relax and let’s talk football. Sound good?

Since you brought up stats, can you understand why some of us got a little impatient with you when you said stuff like Cousins has the most INTs in the league when that hasn’t been true all year? I’ve made mistakes and said some innacurate things here too so I try to be very careful now when I say stuff like that. I just learned to do a quick Google search before I say those kinds of things so the conversation doesn’t get detailed and hopefully I keep some sort of credibility around here.

But let’s get off this side conversation nonsense and get back to talking football. I know you’re not a Cousins fan. But can you truly not see him playing to the level of a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick in the near future? We can win games with a QB like that. It would also give us a chance to take our time in the draft and wait for the QB we really want. Or take one in a lower round who needs time to develop and allow Cousins to play while that happens. That’s why I’m supporting Cousins right now. Because I think he’s good enough until we can draft or develop the future guy.

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:42 AM

RG3 offered hope of greatness to a lot of Redskins fans with his talent. Cousins doesn’t offer hope of greatness just mediocrity. Fans want greatness from this team. not mediocrity

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:01 AM

How many yeArs ago was that again that rg3 gave skins hope? I know it’s been more
        Than 3 now.

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Let’s see won the division in 2012 played with a brace 2013, played in a new offense last year 2014 so busy out your calculator and explain how that is more than 3 years ago when they have only had 2 1/2 seasons of football since winning the Division.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM

“You people talk about being too early to give up on coaches that ave done nothing but it’s ok to give up on a QB that has bin great and had 1 bad year and another average year SMH”

Home run there Tim!

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Let’s assume Cousins is as bad as you’re implying… Griffin is so bad that he can’t get past the guy that is BACKING UP Cousins, whom you view as hopeless. You talk yourself into corners. Next you’ll blame Gruden for intentionally overlooking the greatness of Bob while praising Scot McG who, in spite of his brilliance, can’t see the head coach is benching the best player of the most important position in the team simply because he’s a hater.

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:16 PM

The Coach sets the Depth chart. The GM sets the roster. If he is that bad and the GM agrees with the Depth chart why is RG3 on the team? The 16 million extension can be dropped at any time. There have bin otherwise positions of need. Why carry 2 QBs? They can cover any dead cap money easily.
          Short of firing Gruden the GM has no say in the Depth chart

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Well tim. I dotn got
          Much to lose at This point. Even though ur inviting the the guy to
          Come see u at ur seat Can I take
          U up on the offer instead ? U fa. G. G. O. T. See if that will
          Get past the cussing flag on he board. Ur a total idiot

• colmac69 - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Yeh your correct on that point when rgiii was lighting up league in his first yr

However his time is up in Washington…hopefully he goes somewhere and has gd career…we can debate all day the pros/cons regarding rgiii but it’s about the present and future

cousins offers the team a chance to have stability at QB for a few yrs…u don’t have to offer greatness to b successful in this league

As for rest of your posts Skulb sums you up pretty gd

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Timwillhide you seem to be the innerweb tuffguy. Are you really calling people out to come to your section to fight? And by the way Bob and greatness do not belong in same sentence.

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:37 PM

I’m calling one guy who constantly runs there mouth hiding behind a computer. Nothing I wrote about Cousins in that post should bring that kind of response.

I’m not an internet tough guy just telling someone who seems to have a personal problem with me where I’m at

• gasngo14 - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:00 PM

tim will hide ….all this over bob ? really, man you must have issues!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Seriously Tim you got two trolls one directly above you and one directly below you. You have to explain yourself to those cretins.

7. colmac69 - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:47 AM

Least they not playing against the dome patrol in this one lol

In all seriously u have to think this be high scoring affair…….both defenses are struggling last few wks it’s gonna take high 20,s to have chance of winning

As for cousins that’s two gd games in a row he played…..that’s continuity they looking for…plus no running attack to help him out (I got feeling we get big day from running game sun)

Why not change some personal on defense side….nothing to lose and it might make difference…..

Realistically most fans realise this yr wasn’t bout making playoffs but the division being so bad there an opportunity there…..give it their best shot and c how it plays out….imo I think either giants or eagles will win div but it’s football and u just never know

As long as I see continued improvement I b happy over last eight games regardless of results

8. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Will Compton could take Perry Riley’s place at inside linebacker

An overdue move, I think.

9. sidepull - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Every time I think of Saints vs Redskins I cannot help but remember how the prognosticators were not liking the Redskins chances of traveling to the Super dome for RG3’s inaugural game. He did light it up. That was an exciting time to be a Redskin fan! Stood tall in the pocket as he took a hit from Malcolm Jenkins and unleashed an 88 yd game winner to Pierre Garcon. 40-32 Redskins. He lived up to the hype that day.

10. skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:25 AM

If Cousins has truly improved, it seems a game like this one presents a great opportunity for him to show off how much. I hope it’s a shoot out.

11. Stephfan - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Say it with me people! Gruden and cousins will be gone at the end of the year.

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Lol. Crickets.

• Blackbutcolorblind - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Absolutely hilarious. No one at all agreed with that. No one wants cousins gone grudens gone. Listen to the crickets. I hear them too.

• Skulb - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Gruden will either be gone or sign a new contract at the end of the 2018 season, unless he has a losing season in 17. The team is rebuilding. repeat this inside your head until it sinks in: The team is rebuilding, the team is rebuilding, the team is rebuilding. Sacking coaches in the middle of a rebuild year is counterproductive. Even Snyder ought to be able to understand that.
      Cousins might be gone, but if he is it will be because of the customary FO incompetence. Most likely he signs a two year “prove it” deal with the Skins at the end of this season. I base that on the very obvious fact that he\s been playing at a high level so far this season, with only two poor games. If he can keep that up for the last 8 there is no one better, perhaps unless you can somehow land Philip Rivers when the Chargers move. But why would he trade one basement team for another if he does leave?
      Sorry to have to break all this shocking news to you but you might as well save yourself a few years worth of aggravation by snapping out of whatever trance you´ve been in for the last year. You might even save yourself an ulcer or two.

• bangkokben - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM

I’d love for the ‘skins to get Cousins with a two year “prove it” deal. The problem with that is that Cousins and Fitzpatrick are the cream of FA class, followed by Griffin presuming the Redskins release him and possibly Bradford if he doesn’t stop throwing interceptions. The teams in need of a QB outweigh the supply. Teams like New Orleans and Dallas have to seriously look at the future and will be looking at the draft as well as the teams at the top of the board. According to Football Outsiders, below are the teams with the best odds to land the top pick considering their simulations:

Team Top Pick Top 3 Pick
        DET 43.4% 72.6%
        SD 16.0% 47.9%
        TEN 10.6% 34.0%
        CLE 8.4% 33.5%
        SF 4.8% 24.5%
        JAC 4.1% 16.0%
        HOU 2.7% 15.2%
        BAL 3.5% 15.2%

That looks like a potential of two the three QBs drafted in the top ten. Then when you consider the number of NFL ready QBs available in the draft along with the trend that suggests Cousins is indeed improving as well as the overall lack of appreciation from the local fan base and you have the elements for a Trent Green type situation where Cousins gladly chooses Team B over the local franchise.

I don’t think that will happen but I do think that the Redskins will have to pony up close $15M a year for a former 4th round pick for at least four years. Then again his playing trend could change and he could START being the cause for losses.

• realfan82 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I think 3 of those teams will grab a QB. Kaepernick is gone after this year.

• Skulb - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I agree. Like Fitz he will be starting somewhere next season. Right now he is playing at about the same level as Ryan Tannehill and the two teams have some similar issues surrounding both of them.
          Tannehill has a $100 mill contract: Kirk has $118 000 guaranteed.
          I´ll give you that Tannehill is very overpaid based on his performance this season, but by God Cousins is underpaid based on his.

• ET - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM

It’ll be interesting to see what (if anything) happens with Cutler, Kaep, Stafford and Fitzpatrick, in addition to Capt’n Kirk. There could be some serious wheeling and dealing this offseason. QB frustration is high across our great land.

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM

You notice Stephan rhymes with Moron? I am believing some peeps on here are Dem girl fans pretending to care about my Skins…

• ET - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM

“Stephan rhymes with moron”?

You must have a cool accent, brah.

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:59 PM

ET, actually I have a terrible

• kss0770 - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Wrong…cousins my be one of the few brakes we’ve had.

12. redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:03 AM

I still have only seen the first half of last weeks games: However, what I see in Cousins as of recent is more crisp and accurate passes. There are throws that are hitting receivers that, where similar, were under thrown earlier in the season.The pass to Carrier that would become the 2nd drop thus last week, and the other to Garcon where he falls backward making the catch are great examples IMO. Continuing with the 1st half; Cousins placed a very difficult deep pass to Jackson that just quit didn’t get over the defenders hands. That play would probably have resulted in a touchdown. The point here is that where a significant number of his passes were off target even when completed earlier; similar passes are now hitting receivers with great velocity or putting the ball in position where a defender must make a great play. I’ll continue to say there is no coincidence in Cousins improvements and the point where the passing opened up by stretching the field in the 2nd half of the Tampa Bay game. Cousins needs to continue his performance jump next week against what probably is the worst defense in the NFL.

I also like the use of the read option which many here claimed obsolete due to DC adjustments. The read option is very effective and with Matt Jones in the backfield could lead to keeping defenses off balance. Certainly many will claim the running game is an issue but when you start out behind as quickly as the team did last week then it’s unlikely a running game can get established. I normally don’t like making prediction but I’ll assure you of one in the next game. The running game will eclipse 100 yards. The biggest issue is that the guy we know can get the running game going just so happens to be a rookie that can’t stop fumbling.

Oh and that 4 and 11 call by the coach was bush league. Nice job of aiding the Patriots with their dominating field position advantage.

13. Stephfan - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM

I’m talking bout a qb that is starting but I guess you can face facts, Kirk is no. Better than rg3.

14. greed - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:22 AM

not sure about kirk yet, lart 2 secondaries not strong ones, in games where he had no picks defenders dropped interceptable passes even a couple last wk and against bucs so jury still out on that, p.riley still looks hurt so a change to compton is gd , robinson has been struggling lately and johnson was brought in too start at that spot

• Rich Tandler - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Can I please get some more information on the “dropped picks”. I don’t remember any. Any info at all? When? The defender? I’ll be happy to go back and look at the film again and educate muself but I have no recollection of anything that could reasonably called a dropped pick.

• Skulb - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:55 AM

He threw one right at one of the Eagles defenders I believe. The person above might also be thinking of the rocket through the Falcons end zone that hit a defender in the hands. Too hard to catch obviously but you know how it is when people have QB agendas here. Everything is his fault even when it isn´t and if he does well it´s because the opposing team was bad or because his teammates were great. We all just need to learn that nothing Kirk or Jay ever do is positive in any way. It´s probably a cruel trick to fool gullible fans into liking them.

• greed - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM

the point im making is in the games that there has been bad passes by kirk that defenders have either dropped gotten hand on or misplayed that could of been int’s, all QB’s have theese passes i just 2nt give kirk the benefit of the doubt just yet because of his history of throwing int’s and alot of them were poorly thrown passes , wasnt that the statement has he cured the turnover bug? Imo too small of sample size if u want to just look at his season stats the ans is no, if you look at past couple games answer is maybe , sorry if i picked on ya QB (in my T.Owens voice) im watching and analayising like everyone else if i had to grade him thru 8 games i would say C

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:43 PM

“watching and analayising like everyone else if i had to grade him thru 8 games i would say C”

You’re right about there not being enough of the good Cousins to indicate a cure in his turnover issues. As for a grade, I’d go C- in 8 games. Other comments here have him weighted against past 1st round QBs. Yes, Cousins doesn’t have to do much in a small period of time before hype machine starts firing.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM

• timwillhide - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Rich I actually went through the film of his first 17 games he played and counted 20 that hit defenders directly in the hands that they dropped. These passes looked like they where thrown to the defender without the defender having to “make a play” on the ball.

I wrote an Article about arguments for and against Cousins being a turnover machine. They Changed the Title from what I wanted. Kirk Cousins Turnover Machine does the name fit? To the one that is currently titled. I guess they wanted to try and push that Stat.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 12, 2015 at 5:02 AM

And, Tim, I’m sorry, but as I’ve told you before I’m not going to simply accept what your definition of what a dropped interception is, given your quite obvious bias. And even if fairly judged, if there is not comparison to how many dropped picks, say, Tony Romo has, the number is meaningless.

The title of the post is misleading, it’s not “proof” of anything.

• timwillhide - Nov 12, 2015 at 10:41 PM

Rich like I said I did not l co the Title. If you read it I offer up reasons as to why he is Not a Turnover Machine. I’m not Bias just call it how I see it Please go review the film of his first 17 games and you tell me if 20 was me being bias

• timwillhide - Nov 13, 2015 at 12:44 AM

Also Rich I have a full time job. Me and the wife work different shifts mine is night and I’m up with my 1 1/2 year old son. Writing is just something I was recently offered as a hobby. If I was doing it for a living then I would have time to watch more film.

The point is how startling inaccurate the guy is. You really don’t need a comparison.

15. bangkokben - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM

League leaders in Interceptions (Week 9):
    Player Attempts INTs Draft Position
    P. Manning 302 13 1
    A. Luck 293 12 1
    M. Stafford 299 11 1
    S. Bradford 310 10 1
    B. Bortles 311 10 3
    C. Newton 246 9 1
    R. Tannehill 299 9 8
    K. Cousins 308 9 102

• goback2rfk - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Those are good stats. And considering Cousins costs 500% less than those other guys you could say Cousins is a pretty good bargain QB. Except Kirk wants the big extension for next season. He wont play for peanuts anymore. I have a feeling his contract year is what is making him turn his game around lately. He is ready to upgrade that mini van he drives to a sports car. His wife wants some new gear also.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:16 PM

“Except Kirk wants the big extension for next season. He wont play for peanuts anymore. ”

So are you suggesting Cousins has performed well enough this season already to receive a big contract extension?

• goback2rfk - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM

No he may not deserve a “big contract extension” but I think he is worth keeping around. One thing I do like about Kirk is that he performs well in crunch time. Remember when he came in for RG3 during that Ravens game years ago and won the game. Kirk has an ability to get it done when it matters. I think if he plays well throughout the remaining games and wins a road game or 2 we can talk extension. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years 20 million with 8 million fully guaranteed. Even if he does not start he would be a solid back up if not the best back up in the league. Every since he did the “YOU LIKE THAT” scream I gained a new appreciation for Cousins. I still like Rg3 a lot, but I like the explosive play maker 2012 Rg3, not knee brace Rg3 or take a lot of sacks Rg3. We will see what happens.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Cousins will have his chance to dictate his contract for next season. I do agree the worst you have in Cousins is a very capable backup. However, I don’t think Cousins will sign a contract to be a backup. He’ll want to start somewhere even if he goes into the later part of this season hobbling on performance. So my take on it is if Cousins shines then he gets a nice long term contract here but if he struggles then he’ll look elsewhere if he is not assured of the starting position.

As for RG3, you have to remember the severity of the issue. It takes years to get the legs back to 100% and I can’t imagine how much that has impacted his development. I haven’t advocated for RG3 starting here for some time. The one thing I was dead on right about in my thinking was that from the very beginning I felt Gruden was a poor choice for RG3’s development as QB.

• gasngo14 - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM

mike ruined bob !!

• colmac69 - Nov 11, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Interesting cousins has same amount picks as newton but thrown ball 62 more times

One team is 8-0 other 3-5

Just shows that everything doesn’t revolve around how Qb performs….some fans on here should take note

• berniebernard666 - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Yes but Cousins is an interception machine. He throws 2 every game…..RG3 should be the quarterback…the Redskins are racists…..LOL

• John - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM

2 per game for 8 games would be 16. He has thrown 8 this year. Did you take math in school?

• john - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Says the guy with 666 in screen name. U should cry about team name if u gonna use the race card. I love the name Redskins not fond of gruden on fence with cousins but over rg3. HTTMFR!

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:25 PM

John doesn’t see the sarcasm font…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM

I’ve watched both QBs play quite a bit this season. Even though Cam has more interceptions on fewer passes, his performance has been more impressive overall at QB. Just goes to show that everything doesn’t revolve around interceptions in how a QB performs.

Cousins has narrowed the different in performance but only recently. However, there are still loses due to Cousins’ past performance this year that he has to account. It’s not going to go away because of 1 1/2 consecutive halves of above average performances.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM

I’m not sure what nine weeks of interceptions have to do with draft selection. However, if you are using this statistic to indicate great value for a QB that has a low output of interceptions only then I have to say that is a very misleading correlation. I think we all know that the same stat wouldn’t reflect that same relationship 3 weeks ago and most likely won’t by end of season. Whether Cousins continues the trend downward on interceptions time will tell.

I do praise Cousins for his performance since the 2nd half of the Bucs game. However, while he is on a upward trend performance wise which includes fewer interceptions; shouldn’t we reserve such comparison to QBs being selected higher in drafts for the end of season statistics?

• ET - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:08 PM

You don’t find any interest in the QB draft positions listed along with the other stats? That is, after all, the market value assigned to each player as he entered the NFL. Seems as if Cousins has some lofty company.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM

“You don’t find any interest in the QB draft positions listed along with the other stats? ”

Not with nine weeks of statistic. You have to remember not very long ago Cousins was on record pace in turnovers per snap as well as interceptions per pass. He still is overall considered a turnover prone QB even if the last 4 weeks or so has him throwing less.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM

• bangkokben - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:30 PM

I included the draft position for two reasons. Cousins isn’t the only QB that struggles from time to time with picks. Also, many would like to paint Cousins as a mediocre QB with a unique turnover problem that can’t be fixed. Pure Propaganda! If you need more time to make an assessment, fine. But, you and others like you seemed to buy in that Cousins is a turnover machine with a much smaller sample size.

16. berniebernard666 - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM

i AGREE

17. bohurley421 - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:30 AM

I really believe and feel redskins should have road out the year with rg3 give him the chance to find what he lost. I know the injuries are extremely big but if we could have just stuck with him at least we would 100% from this year if he has it found it or just got lucky. We have a losing season any way and if anyone thought we would turn things around with cousins, I wish I had your naive attitude. Cousins has done much better but he is still cousins. We need greatness we need a baller a worrier and nice guy kirk is a back up at best and always should be.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:46 PM

I would have liked the same for RG3 as well but I gave up on any chance for RG3 having success here with the Gruden hire and the season that followed. RG3 is better off playing for a coach that can work offenses to his ability. Gruden doesn’t have that type of innovative thinking.

• gasngo14 - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM

mike ruined bob :)

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Bob stopped doing what bob was good at on his own accord. Mike and Kyle were the only reason bob was half descent in 2012.But I bet you screamed like a girl for them to be fired to.Didn’t you? Bob has 0% abilities, his one ability of running got his legs tore up because he didn’t have ability to slide. I would say Gruden has forgot more than you have ever known. When two coaches tell you he can’t play pocket pro level. Maybe it would be innovative if you listened instead talking ignorance. Bob sits on bench because of bob.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM

“Bob stopped doing what bob was good at on his own accord. Mike and Kyle were the only reason bob was half descent in 2012.But I bet you screamed like a girl for them to be fired to.Didn’t you? ”

Wrong “uneducated” guess there but no surprise! I never asked for Shanahan’s firing.

“Bob has 0% abilities, ”
          It shows what little football you know. RG3 has many abilities from a deadly accurate strong arm to a very quick release. No one is able to post the type of performance as a QB rookie in the NFL without having abilities. You’re showing how “uneducated you are with that statement alone. Getting the reason for using “uneducated”, yet?

Does RG3 need development and has this organization decisions and injuries derailed much of that development? Yes! You speak like a child and spend most your comments taking baseless jabs at other fans (i.e. no facts). I’m not going to discuss football to someone who apparently doesn’t have the acumen for it.

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:12 PM

No I sit and read you take unfactual jabs. You are very funny in your one sided comments. Its bob or nothing for you. We will see when bob is a starter for some innovative coach as you say he needs. Until then try supporting the team and not just bob.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:28 PM

You need to spend more time reading then since you don’t know nothing about me and continue to get your facts twisted. You wouldn’t know what fan support was even if she was a 300 pound woman sitting on your face.

“redskinsnameisheretostay – Nov 11, 2015 at 12:34 PM
          I’m sure every QB in the game has ample easy interceptions hidden away because a defender dropped the ball. I continue to insist that the interceptions by Cousins are not a critical stat if he is able to overcome them by moving the offense and putting touchdowns on the board. If he can continue to show he is a threat in the passing game but toss a few interceptions then fine by me. If he can continue to show he is a threat in the passing game and not throw interceptions then even better. However, the last thing I want to see is the team trying to eliminate interceptions by reverting back to an ultra conservative passing offense with Cousins playing only 15 yards of the field.”

• kss0770 - Nov 11, 2015 at 5:48 PM

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Kss0770 you are nothing more than another Cousins homer. When he was struggling I don’t recall any comments form you. Now he’s had some successful halves and there is no comparing Cousins to RG3. You homer Cousins lovers are absolutely clueless. Come back here when Cousins has difficult performances.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:26 PM

“kss0770 – Nov 11, 2015 at 5:48 PM
          You like that…exactly right . ..cousins is so much better than rg3 it’s a great disservice to compare the two”

This comment above epitomizes fan ignorance. When you discuss a disservice to comparing the two then I guess I was mistaken and it was Cousins that was ROY. I guess I was also mistaken that it was Cousins that propelled the team to a NFC East Championship and Playoff. It must have been Cousins that got the team a 14 point lead against Seattle with two swift drives. Maybe if it wasn’t the fact that none of the aforementioned is true and that while RG3 was 10 – 5 in his first season while Cousins is currently stands at 5-12 in his career then maybe …just maybe your comment made any sense at all. The disservice is your inability to absorb a player’s career and then comparing them.

• gasngo14 - Nov 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM

nameisheretostay …is a very fitting screen name for this guy, he has been known for screaming day after day every hour to trade whatever for RG3 and he has “changed’ his name so many times he can’t remember them …HE IS THE HOMER ….THE BOB HOMER!!

• squawonthewarpath - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:31 AM

The one thing that irks me from some of the posters on here is how anyone who offers any small amount of praise towards Cousin’s or who agreed with the decision the coaching staff made to appoint him as the starting quarterback is automatically labeled an “RG3 Hater” or a “Kirk Lover”. I got accused of this once simply by stating that RG3 was injury prone. I rarely post here, but I do enjoy reading the information Rich provides in his blogs as well as the opinions, comments and insight from (some) of the posters here. BTW I have been around here on and off for quite some time. I can remember that annoying poster who called himself Polo who incessantly criticized the Shanahans’ in every post and that overbearing know it all JD Hawk I think he was called being on here a few years back. Compared to some of the negative posters I’ve seen on here this season those two almost seem charming in retrospect! LOLOLOL

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 12, 2015 at 7:55 AM

“I can remember that annoying poster who called himself Polo who incessantly criticized the Shanahans’ in every post and that overbearing know it all JD Hawk ”

I am that overbearing know it all JD Hawk. I changed the name to support the team name. The only reason I’d be called a know it all is because I’ve corrected with facts the misinformation others try to post here. Maybe you enjoy life living off of misinformation but I don’t. Then we all have opinions that are not about facts. The one thing you get from be is balance comments. I provide positive and negative points about Cousins just like I did with RG3 when he played. However, I won’t allow ignorance to slander the good RG3 did bring to this team. I know the organization poor management was a huge part of his decline here. As for some joker name squawonthewarpath; what the hell did he ever post here worth remembering?

• gasngo14 - Nov 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM

WOW ….nameisheretostay….BTW very fitting for you beings you’ve had so many names in the past :)

18. berniebernard666 - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:34 AM

NO EXCUSES THIS WEEKEND. Can we all agree on that.

Perfect weather. Sunny and 60 degrees. Home Game and Home Crowd. Healthy players. Saints are banged up and beat up because they have NOT had a bye yet. Saints secondary is a mess. Don’t want to hear the Redskins are nervous and feel pressure. They don’t feel pressure when cashing those MILLION DOLLAR CHECKS.

My friends, this game must be the first of 4 or 5 in a row if the Redskins are to have a successful season. And quite frankly, yes, the next few games will determine if we can use our Number 1 pick next spring on a QB or another position like wide receiver or defensive lineman.

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Bernard you say Redskins and Gruden are racists..You lil man are enough to make someone want to puke. I am so done with the type of stupidity people like you spew..Your mom must be proud of you.

• skinsgame - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Relax… He was making a joke.

• 1222tmiller - Nov 12, 2015 at 3:05 PM

The LOL was a clue that he was Laughing Out Loud at himself for the ironic statement. I have seen RG3 lovers say those exact statement over and over and over again. I thought it was very funny.

No RG3 did not get benched because he is black.
        Yes RG3 has a lot of RAW talent, but isn’t a very good pocket QB
        Yes Cousins has played better his last 4 games then the first part of the season
        No Cousins has not shown enough to be named our next QB for year to come
        No we don’t know how good Cousins will be in 2 years, he might be a top 10 QB.
        Yes we are in a rebuilding year and all the experts said we would go 5 – 11. I am hoping for 6 – 10

Let’s all have some perspective on our team.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM

YOU LIKE THAT should change the name to GOT NO CLUE

• gasngo14 - Nov 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM

you my friend is the person who has to change names …….wonder why you have had too so many times?

19. John - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Once again team Robert rears its ugly head. I’ll admit Robert was great back in 2012. It was great that the team got to the playoffs. Now keep in mind that in 2012, the team used a read option based offense because Robert came out an unstructured system at Baylor that is referred to as “sandlot football”. It worked in 2012 but is no longer used by any team on a full time basis. Teams like the 49ers, Panthers and Seahawks use it but its not their base offense. Its a wrinkle, something else for the opposing defense to have to prepare for.

In the following seasons since, what has Robert done? Nothing! Oh wait, he kept getting hurt. Some have said that Cousins has had a better line in front of him. Its more like Cousins does things to help the line (slide, move into “the cup” of the pocket, gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds). Did Robert do that? No! Some have said the defense is better now. Really? Who have they stopped since the Rams game? Nobody! Kirk threw pics last year but really the only bad game was the Giants game. Would have been nice if the defense showed up so Kirk did not have to play so far behind. People forget how awesome Kirk was against Jacksonville and Philly last year. Like Gruden said, he is a young quarterback (number of games played) and will have his ups and downs. People focus on the pics but he has improved and keeps getting better. He has far better command of the offense than Robert. If he was doing such a poor job, you would be hearing from inside sources that he needed to be replaced. That has not happened. There are no real options in the draft or free agency. Getting a big name quarterback is not going to fix this teams problems. They need a stud running back, a stud receiver, a disruptive defensive lineman and a stud safety to name a few positions. Regardless of who the starter is, the team might win 7 games this year. I’ll be glad when the season is over and RG3 gets released, so that we can stop hearing from all the people clinging to 2012, a season that might as well be a century ago.

• bohurley421 - Nov 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Do you hear yourself? You are using last year’s Jacksonville game to promote kirky. Jacksonville! Maybe you and most have forgetting how horrible he was last year and especially in the titans game that I was at and everyone was booing and chanting for colt mccoy that how bad cousins is. He makes the crown chant for colt mccoy. Colt mccoy!

• John - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Obviously, you missed the part about Kirk being a young quarterback, based on the number if games played at this level and that he will have ups and downs and used the Giants game as a down and Jacksonville and Philly as ups. Perhaps I should have provided a pop up book so you would have understood better.

• bohurley421 - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Judging by your intelegence I think a pop up book is way beyond your capabilities but then again it would be amusing to see the product. You can include a slider where the ball goes from kirky’s hand to the opposite team. You might be on to something.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:54 PM

“Now keep in mind that in 2012, the team used a read option based offense because Robert came out an unstructured system at Baylor that is referred to as “sandlot football”. ”

You are factually wrong there! I notice you keep repeating this same inaccuracy every time. The Redskins ran the read option on less than 20% of their plays in 2012. No NFL team has used the read option full time. You also don’t know what “sandlot football” is if that’s what you called Baylor’s offense. Do you even watch college football? Baylor didn’t hold a steady year round playbook because they drew one up one before every game based on the opponent for that week. RG3 wasn’t out there in the huddle drawing up plays in the sand. They were still in the class room working plays. The only difference were the plays were more dynamic from week-to-week.

Let me keep you honest by providing the actual numbers.
      “The numbers say it wasn’t a huge part anyway (and I’m excluding the zone-read, play-action passing game). In 2012, the Redskins ran the ball out of the zone-read look on 118 of 519 carries (22.7 percent), according to ESPN Stats & Information. In 2013, the Redskins ran it 83 of 453 carries (18.3 percent).”

• gasngo14 - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:21 PM

rob is gone….mike ruined bob :)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:18 PM

” so that we can stop hearing from all the people clinging to 2012, a season that might as well be a century ago.”

Well based on the generous amount of inaccuracies you provided about that season that others will have to dust off, 2012 might as well be a century ago in your case.

• John - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:25 PM

What has the team done since 2012? As I recall “Robert the Great” started most of 2013. We won the division and went to the playoffs in 2013, right? Oh wait, we sucked that year because he refused to be the athlete that made the read option work. We really rolled last year when Robert was in there. Oh wait, we sucked when he played last year. So just keep clinging to 2012…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM

” As I recall “Robert the Great” started most of 2013. ”

Uhmmm, seriously? Did he return back from a torn ACL/MCL that year and was forced to play in a full brace? Didn’t that completely change the offense for him? Did you know that injuries that severe normally take two years to fully recover from?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:33 PM

I’m not clinging to any year. I;m just correcting your inaccuracies. Do you want to call Art Briles offense “Sandlot Football” again? The coach that has made Baylor a elite college football team and did this in just 5 years?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Oh correction it was ACL/LCL that RG3 has to recover from in his return to 2013. That me correcting my own inaccuracy something you have yet to do.

• John - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Answer this: Who is playing and whose sitting on the bench. That’s right Kirks playing and Roberts collecting splinters. In your honest opinion with the team the day it is, regardless of who starts do you see this team winning many more games? If so your truly delusional. They can’t run and they can’t stop other teams running or passing. Not to mention special teams just waiting for the next implosion. But go ahead and think that putting Robert in there would make everything so much better.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:07 PM

“But go ahead and think that putting Robert in there would make everything so much better.”

What are you talking about?

I never suggested having RG3 in the game would have made this season better. As a matter of fact, I’ve posted here many times quite clearly that RG3 will not perform well under Gruden’s offense. So give the RG3 vs Cousins challenge a rest since your are debating this with the wrong guy. I’m sorry if unraveling the falsehood of your flawed theory about RG3 unnerved you. However truth is necessary no matter how much it hurts.

20. corleonemd - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM

I’m I the only one that thinks Chris Thompson should be given a shoot to start? Morris is not playing well, and Jones isn’t playing much better plus he appears to have a fumbling problem.

I think the skins need to pass to open up the run. Thompson can catch and pose mismatch problems against LBs.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I think Jones is playing considerably better than Morris and especially when you add the passing opportunities. Jones biggest issue by far is the fumbles. It’s killing his chance for toting the ball more than 10 times a game.

• sidepull - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Where the heck is DY?
        And I still think they should have signed Pierre Thomas who is a do it all back. SF signed him off the street right before the Atlanta game. Shame cuz he could have helped the Redskins and to tell the truth so could DY.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Nov 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Good question where is DY. To throw in a bit of hypocrisy into this…

“”I didn’t have Darrel Young in Cincinnati,” Gruden said. “If I had him, I would have used him.””

Gruden has never proven to properly use a running game since he arrived in the NFL. Now, I’m not attacking the HC but pointing that out as fact. Look at his career stats as coach in the running game.

• ET - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Darrel Young is criminally underutilized in the current offense, especially when considering the difficulties the team has had with TEs (and blockers in general) this year. You’d think Darrel would get a few more snaps a game purely in an attempt to kickstart the running game. Guess not.

• YOU LIKE THAT - Nov 11, 2015 at 3:03 PM

That is a really good question. I haven’t seen DY so long I forgot about him.

• bangkokben - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:08 PM

He had TWO offensive snaps last week. He has been contributing a lot on special teams though. This seems to me to be a legitimate point of contention with the HC. Of course, i won’t extrapolate – no DY; no third year as most up here will but it is a major bummer. Then again, you give a guy a job you give him the authority to make the decisions he thinks helps him be successful. Hiring an HC is different than hiring the teenager down the block to wash your car. In the latter instance you tell the kid how you want it washed, what soap to use, how to dry it, where to dry it, the fact that you want it dried with a chamois, etc, etc. It seems like most fans had a similar idea with Gruden. You got to win, win now, with Shanahan’s players, forget your offense, you need a specifically designed offense that maximizes our former ROY’s strengths, don’t forget to use the FB, and btw use a 4-3. Oh and fire the special teams coach until you find one that works.

• 1222tmiller - Nov 12, 2015 at 3:15 PM

@redskinsnameisheretostay, I think you got it right. Jay doesn’t understand the run game. Clearly he has got some things working in the passing game, but unless we are totally dominating the run blocking up front, we do nothing in the run game. I think are rushing problems are at least as much coaching as talent.

• goback2rfk - Nov 11, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Im cool with that. Thompson is the next Danny Woodhead in my opinion. Give him a shot. What started out so promising with Jones and Morris has turned into a record setting disaster area. Mine as well try someone else.

21. abanig - Nov 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Maybe. We need s bigger sample size – like the last 8 games – to know if Kirk Cousins has shaken the turnover bug or not.

• bangkokben - Nov 11, 2015 at 9:22 PM

This seems like a fair assessment. However Kirk built this reputation on a smaller sample size so although i agree it is premature, it is well within reason to start asking the question. Last year Cousins threw nine picks in 204 attempts for a pick every 22 2/3 passes. This year he has nine picks but has thrown 51% more passes (308) or in other words 1 interception for every 34 2/9 passes which is also a 51% improvement. Over a longer time provides consistency and consistency fosters faith. The trend is positive.

22. Gregory C. Kendall - Nov 11, 2015 at 6:42 PM

We got the boy from Iowa great raves but wat happen? He is suppose 2 be the somewhat savior of the running attack on the rt.
    You don’t they Redskins use some of Coach Gibbs plays, 1 in particular the half back pass.

23. Prince - Nov 11, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Cant we all just admit that their both just below average although i do belive that starting cousins wont amount to anything because he just doesnt bring anything special to the table

24. yournameisoffensive - Nov 12, 2015 at 12:17 PM

I usually read the comments because they’re fun and not comment. I’ve decided to comment on this because of a couple things. I was a huge RGIII fan after the skins drafted him. 2012 was amazing! Had RGIII not been injured, we beat the Seahawks. Then 2013 came and this was not the RGIII of last year. His knee was junk and it showed. Then 2014 showed up and the worst thing was he couldn’t read defenses. His athletic ability carried him. When he slowed a hair he was no longer the dangerous weapon he was in 2012. Believe me I want that RGIII back with the ability to read defenses.

Kirk is now the starting QB of the Redskins. I’m now hoping he can lead us into winning seasons.

Just a couple things about Kirk. I’m going to use Tom Brady as the example and his first 3 years in the NFL. All of these stats are on

Tom Brady’s completion percentages first 3 years 63.9, 62.1 and 60.2. Passing yards are 2,843, 3,764 and 3,620. Over 20 yrds 32, 37, 44. Over 40 yards 6, 3, 8. Sacks 41, 31, and 32. TD/INT 18/12, 28/14 and 23/12. And finally QB rating 86.5, 85.7, 85.9.

I AM NOT SAYING KIRK WILL END UP LIKE TOM BRADY. My point is only Tom Brady was not the Tom Brady everyone knows now when he first started. When he first started he was strictly a game manager. Belichick is arguably the Greatest coach of all time and he knew how to use his players strengths. They had an above average defense and didn’t ask much of Tom to do much and they ended up winning a Super Bowl or two. He then grew into the Tom Brady of today. I just don’t see how Kirk is that bad and its bad that he throws the short passes. We need a better defense and a run game and Kirk is absolutely serviceable until things click.

25. 1222tmiller - Nov 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM

@yournameisoffensive, I see the same thing as you. Young QB, learning, playing as well as some of the best QBs in the league when they were young. We won’t know what we have in Cousins for a couple of more years. If he keeps improving, then you keep giving him the next year as the starter. Maybe in 2017 he has progressed enough and we have more pieces in place that we can be dangerous again. Archives