Need to Know: Predicting the rest of the Redskins season

Nov 3, 2015, 4:54 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, November 3, five days before the Redskins visit the New England Patriots.

Predicting the rest of the Redskins season

Here is what I think is going to happen in the Redskins’ remaining nine games. As usual, your opinion, agreeing or dissenting, is welcome in the comments.

Sunday @ Patriots—Sure, on any given Sunday and all. But there doesn’t seem to be a way for the Redskins to win unless Tom Brady gives it away and he doesn’t give away games.

Winner: Patriots, Redskins record 3-5

Nov. 15 vs. Saints—The Drew Brees we saw on Sunday in the Superdome isn’t the guy we usually see outdoors on grass. The Saints are 0-2 outside this year and their defense is one of the worst in the NFL.

Winner: Redskins, record 4-5

Nov. 22 @ Panthers—I’m not sure that Carolina is as good as its record but they have a solid defense and a quarterback who has to potential to frustrate the Redskins’ defense.

Winner: Panthers, Redskins record 4-6

Nov. 29 vs. Giants—It’s impossible for the Redskins to beat the Giants in New Jersey. It’s merely difficult at FedEx Field. They are just a bad matchup as it seems like Eli Manning can dial up a touchdown pass to Odell Beckham Jr. or a number of other receivers anytime he wants to when they play Washington.

Winner: Giants, Redskins record 4-7

Dec. 2 vs. Cowboys—Unlike the Giants, the Cowboys seem to be a good matchup for the Redskins. So even though Tony Romo is likely to have returned and should have a couple of games under his belt and ignoring the fact that it’s a prime time game, a time when the Redskins usually struggle, I’ll take the home team.

Winner: Redskins,record 5-7

Dec. 13 @ Bears—The Bears are giving some teams a good battle and Jay Cutler can still put the ball on the money at times. Will Matt Forte be in there for the Bears? Will December winds from Lake Michigan knock a key Dustin Hopkins field goal try off target? While I think the Redskins should win, I have a bad feeling about this one.

Winner: Bears, Redskins record 5-8

Dec. 20 vs. Bills—This is a rather odd game to close out the home season. The Bills were going to be an AFC East contender but now it looks like they will be scuffling for a wild card at best. Their defense was going to be tough under Rex Ryan but it’s been just OK at best.

Winner: Redskins,record 6-8

Dec. 26 @ Eagles—Here is where things get kind of tough to figure out. Will the game mean anything to the Eagles? For that matter, will it mean anything to the Redskins? Is Sam Bradford going to be playing still? This is an odd Saturday night prime-time game.

Winner: Eagles, Redskins record 6-9

Jan. 3 @ Cowboys—More murkiness in the crystal ball here. Will either team have anything to play for or will both be playing out the string? Regardless, I think the Redskins are due to sweep the Cowboys.

Winner: Redskins record  7-9

Today’s schedule: Off day, no media availability

Days until: Redskins @ Patriots 5; Saints @ Redskins 12; Redskins @ Panthers 19

1. colorofmyskinz - Nov 3, 2015 at 6:02 AM

I don’t think we can beat NO after seeing the Guants get beat. I see 3&8 after the Giants going into Cowboys with 4 straight losses. Then the Cowboys are going to get hot eventually. Very possible to lose that one. 3&9 is very likely. Why not? Bee have been 3&9 for 3 years in a row. I don’t see much as to why this year would be different. Maybe we beat Cowboys, but I really don’t see us beating NO.

Beat Chi, lose bills, beat eagle, maybe beat Cowboys after the earlier loss.

I see 6&10 end of season.

• bangkokben - Nov 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Goldiliocks? Nope, typical colorofmychickenlittle. I’ll buy you a drink the day that stop opening the day with doom and gloom.

• jonevans511 - Nov 3, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Based on what? On great game from Brees, in his home environment, against a defense that suffered multiple key injuries during the game? This game had shootout written all over it and it delivered; Doesn’t mean the Saints are somehow a good team.

2. bk70 - Nov 3, 2015 at 6:06 AM

Up early this morning…thanks for all you do with your post.
    I’d trade a 7-9 record this season for one away win against New England or Carolina.
    It will truly be a measure to how far the Skins have grown together as a team this year.
    Kirk needs a winning record against NFC East opponents also as a sign of his maturity as a starter.

• colorofmyskinz - Nov 3, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Good point. I would love to see either of those upsets as well. If we can keep point deficit to less than 29 and score more than 7 I would call that a win against NE. That would be a better performance than Miami.

Would be a great upset, but if I were to choose a more likely upset, it would be panthers.

• Trey Gregory - Nov 4, 2015 at 1:27 AM

I would trade the 7-9 record for that too. But only because I want to be able to draft high enough to get a promising rookie QB, if there are any, or just another top pick. Maybe we try a edge rusher in the 1st this year instead of 2nd and see how that goes? Wouldn’t be upset at all if we drafted another OLinemen high too. Any position on either line would make me happy. Or a Safety or ILB. Getting an elite any of those would be great.

3. timwillhide - Nov 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM

I think we will win all of them. At least that’s what I hope will happen

4. celeoinc - Nov 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM

My prediction is also 7-9, but totally different. We have problems with the Giants because we do not want to give up the big play. It’s much better to give up some big plays and stop them half of the time than allow Eli to torture us for 4 quarters with his quick short releases to always opened receivers because we are too afraid to give up the big plays. There is only one way to play the Giants: Blitz often!!!!!!

• celeoinc - Nov 3, 2015 at 7:40 AM

The Giants will score 30 points anyway. I’d rather be in big plays as long we sack Eli often. That way our offense has time to score 40. What we have been doing is to allow Eli to score slowly and also controlling the clock. However Defense Coordinators have too much ego and therefore we will continue to lose to the Giants.

5. sidepull - Nov 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM

7-9 but I think they beat the eagles in their last match up and lose to Dallas in the season finale. In reality they are still looking for a 4th win. Gotta get that first right?

6. Isaac J. Williams - Nov 3, 2015 at 9:40 AM

I hate fans like these who have no faith in your team smh. Die hard redskins fan right here and I have faith that we will take our division and at least get another shot at the Wild Card game but this time with Kirk Cousins. He can manage a game well, jus have to do better under pressure, learn to let the ball fly and not think about interceptions even tho you don’t want interceptions. I have us at 9-7 or 10-6. Also I have us beating the patriots and panthers giving them their first loss. The Atlanta game was a prime example of what we can do against an undefeated team, and Kirk has 2 comeback wins this season. all of you doubters #HTTR

• brucefan1 - Nov 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Bye bye, Issac!

We hardly knew ye!

• goback2rfk - Nov 3, 2015 at 9:44 PM

I like you enthusiasm Isaac. I do not mind the F ‘ bomb but hey it is not my blog.
      Lets get back to reality however I am assuming your post was a joke so we will leave it at that.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 4, 2015 at 5:16 AM

Hi Issac, Watch your language. I will edit this one comment but after that it’s a permanent ban.

Thank you.

7. mauriceatwood - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Brees will throw for touchdowns at will against the Redskins if he plays on the same level as he did last weekend. I don’t see that game as a win, but I hope Rich is right. Nor do I see us sweeping Dallas. Dallas is a better team and they are better coached. They have been close in games in spite of missing their two best players on offense. I think we’re going to lose to the Patriots, Saints, and Panthers for sure. Have a shot against the Giants, but if Eli is on like he was last weekend we don’t have a chance with some big plays from the secondary. The Eagles are getting their ship corrected and that appears to be a future loss as well. We have a shot against the Bears, but they’re getting better. The Bills are looking down in comparison to where they are, so if that continues I think is a win. I don’t think the Redskins will win more than 6 games this year. Would love to see otherwise, but between the lack of quality coaching on the NFL level and injuries continue to pile up I just don’t see anything beyond 5 as a possibility. My prediction 5-11 and then Jay Gruden gets fired.

8. john - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I see 7-9 with wins against Chicago and Buffalo, 1 against Dallas and one against the Giants or Eagles.

A win against the Saints would be nice but I see Brees carving up our defense. Cam Newton’s best weapon is his tight end but the defense is pretty stout. The Cowboys will have Romo rusty in the first game but not so sure about the second one. Don’t even want to think about the Patriots game.

• ajbus1 - Nov 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Right there with ya, exactly what I was going to predict.

9. corleonemd - Nov 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I only see two more wins on the schedule and one is the first game against the Cowboys and the second one is the Bears. This team is a 5 or 6 win team. We still have many injuries and it doesn’t look like things will get that much better soon.

10. bangkokben - Nov 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM

The Redskins will be 9-7 and lose the division to the Giants for getting swept by them. All to fans that thought we’d be 5-11 will still be calling for the firing of Gruden due to missing out on that very make-able playoff spot eventhough Gruden will be 2nd in the balloting for coach of the year.

• mjthomas85 - Nov 3, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Let’s hold off on putting Gruden up for coach of the year. We aren’t even halfway through the season.

I could see the rest of the year being an all or nothing performance. They could very easily go 4-12 or 9-7. While I don’t have a lot of faith in Gruden, I really hope he proves me wrong so we aren’t out looking for another head coach.

• Skulb - Nov 3, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Not that I especially treasure moral victories but this team could very easily be 5-2 right now. It was like the Bermuda Triangle of lost opportunities against the madly incompetent Miami in the opener and a defensive stop or a pick 6 away from winning in Atlanta. We have been soundly beaten only twice, and both of them in the Kirk Cousins Voodoo Stadium in New York. As long as we can Keep Cousins out of MetLife we´re going to be competitive apparently.
        Go back and look at last season, or for that matter 2013. The Skins were blown out in at least 8 games in 2014, and I can´t remember even one game where I thought they were unlucky to lose. We already have two this season. The team routinely gave up when faced with adversity, had no stability at QB of any kind and all the same problems they do now on top of that.
        So the improvements are definitely there and I think I´ll be saying that even if they go 4-12 again this season. But I don´t think the7y will go 4-12. When you play close games you´re statistically speaking going to win about half of them. And they have so far. So presuming that they will keep playing close games we should be looking at 4-5 more wins for a 7-9, 8-8 record. Add a blowout loss to that (So they´ll know it´s us right) and it´s 6-10, 7-9, which is exactly what I predicted in August when they gave the QB job to Kirk.

• Skulb - Nov 3, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Oh and for the record, nobody is getting fired at 6-10 or better. It´s year one of a rebuilding process with a QB in his first season as a starter. The big question for everyone in this organization right now is whether or not Cousins will be the starter in 2016. They all know he is in 2015 and they are not talking about that anymore. But if he is the starter in 2016 then we have expectations to compete then. If he isn´t we do not because we won´t have a QB to compete with in 2016. If some people posting here get their way and Cousins is gone, and all their little QB dreams come true, we will be able to compete for real at the earliest in 2017. If they get their second little dream fulfilled and Gruden is fired as well we will be able to compete at the earliest in 2018. Most likely the entire rebuild Scot McLoughan has begun will have been a waste of time and we´ll be mediocre or worse for the next decade.
          Redskins fans had better cheer for Cousins and Gruden here if they want their team to compete before we all die of old age. We had better hope that Cousins succeeds in establishing himself as the starter for at least the next three seasons and that Gruden stays out his five year contract. It´s the best chance of success we have and we might as well ride it out and cheer them on in my view.

• mjthomas85 - Nov 4, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Even if they only have 4 or 5 wins total this year, I agree that we need to judge them on how close those losses were and if they are a better all around team than they were last year. If the answer is yes, then you keep Gruden for at least one more year to see what he can do.

Same thing for Cousins. I’m not sold on him, but if he plays well enough they should focus on fixing other areas of the team. You could probably get him to sign a team friendly contract with a lot of potential upside if he plays well and they win; 2 years – $5 million base/year with incentives that get him to $10-12 million. If he develops and plays well, you sign him to a long-term (more lucrative) extension. If he plays like an above average backup, then you draft a QB in 2 years when everything else is in place.

• Skulb - Nov 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM

When it comes to Cousins I have learned now that the fans are entirely incompetent at judging QBs. So no matter how loud the whining they are usually wrong.
          Cousins is already playing better than some starters here and is only missing some signs of consistency.
          But unless there is a clear prospect of an upgrade there will be little point of moving on I think.
          Just like there´s no point firing Gruden early unless there is a real candidate available you have in mind.
          About half the fan base just want to fire people every week. The coach, the QB, just anyone as long as somebody is fired. And we don´t need no stinking replacements!!!!!

• mjthomas85 - Nov 4, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Sounds like we are on the same page. Both need to be given time and there is no reason to fire someone if a better option isn’t readily available.

• bangkokben - Nov 4, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Child please in all its Chad Johnson connotations. Predictions. Mine bothers you?

• mjthomas85 - Nov 4, 2015 at 8:14 AM

I’m not bothered by your prediction. I’m suggesting we sit back, cheer on the team, and see what happens. All I am saying is that the idea of Gruden being our long-term solution for a head coach seems premature.

Quite frankly, even if the team has a 4 or 5 win season, I don’t think the Redskins should move on from Gruden unless they have a really (really) great head coach in mind. The team needs consistency at coaching and a rebuild, if they truly are investing in the process, will take 3-5 years. Unless something goes horribly wrong, I think they should at least give Gruden through next season.

• bangkokben - Nov 4, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Throwing out meaningless predictions is hardly an endorsement of Gruden being a long-term solution. He’s in his second year of a guaranteed five year contract for a team that is covering stadium seats. IF the Redskins would somehow go 9-7, he’d likely get votes considering the turnaround and decision to go with Cousins. Not that coach of year means much either – Jim Haslet won it in 2000. “I’m suggesting we sit back, cheer on the team, and see what happens.” Agreed. However, this could’ve applied to any prediction, yet you singled out a “positive” prediction. Knock on wood, if you must. I’d been saying 7-9 since before OTAs, I decided to bump it up due to the overwhelming negative vibe that most here carry around like an appendage.

• mjthomas85 - Nov 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Realistically, I think we are on the same page. We both hope the season goes well, and want to see Gruden improve the team. I am just a little more cynical than you about Gruden.

Like you said, “IF…9-7…” were to occur, he would deserve a lot of credit. My hope is for a M. Schottenheimer (not sure I spelled that right) season where we improve as things go on, and are prepared to compete for something more next season.

• bangkokben - Nov 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM

I’ll take a Marty like season – without the firing the coach bit. We don’t know what we have yet in Gruden. I choose to be optimistic because sudden change has worked out horribly for this organization. If Shanahan gets four years to fix this mess, than Gruden should at least get two years with a real GM. If Gruden fails it is better for the organization to give him more time than not enough time. Since Gibbs resigned, the organization forced itself in a corner and had to hire Zorn, jumped on a “proven” head coach that was desperately trying to prove his old employer wrong, and then forced to guarantee a five-year contract to a first-team HC because of its sins of the past and in order to secure a “quality” candidate. Any perceived premature dismissal of Gruden pretty much forces the organization to once again be picking from those three options while Gruden serving his term allows the GM to build a solid team and then hire from strength – the strength of the roster as well as the direction of the organization.

11. JOHNNY B - Nov 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM

We will sweep the Eagles. We should beat the Giants in the 2nd game . One against Dallas, I see us beating the Bears not Buffalo. Pushing a win against the Saints. I see record at 8 and 8.

12. colmac69 - Nov 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Home games r winnable…..away bears maybe offer best bet…..8-8 might get division depending on div games

I posted other day we go 1-2 nxt three wks we then got 3/4 at home which could determine if the last two have anything on the

Right now give me wins vs giants..philly…dallas…bears….bills….8-8 with 4-2 div record….u got chance

13. kenlinkins - Nov 3, 2015 at 5:16 PM

It would seem that the smart money is on 6 or 7 wins for 2015, but back in 2013 and 2014 the Redskins were in about the same place (i.e. 2013 3-5 and 2014 3-5 vs. 2015 3-4) and the smart money was on 7 or 8 wins also. Now a good case could be made that there have been many changes since both 2013/2014 and 2015 but there were many changes before the 2014 season as well. So, the $64.00 question is “Will the Redskins drive off the same cliff for the 3rd time in 3 years”? What could be the key to keeping the 2015 Redskins from heading south again at a high rate of speed and totaling no more than 11 wins in three years? The new GM? and the talent he signed? Cousins at QB? a better than AVG draft class? a 2nd year head coach that seems to be opening up? a group of position coach’s? a core group of players who will not allow it? or maybe just dumb NFL football luck? While I can’t say I know the answer I do know something doesn’t feel the same this year and the one BIG thing is the willingness of the 2015 Redskins to fight and not give up, could that be the answer that allows the Redskins to gain that 6th,7th or 8th win? IMO we fans will get another big clue this Sunday vs. New England. If the Redskins lay down or figure this game is a lost cause then the cliff is in sight, but if the Redskins stay in the game and believe they can win it some how. Being 3-4 is not the same as 3-5 and a shot at getting back to 500% (even if you have to beat the Pats to do it) should have a rebuilding team ready to rock on Sunday. I have the Redskins winning this game, why, see the above list and the hope that getting your pride back is the key to 53 Redskins some how / some way pulling the up-set. Go get them Redskins, make the rest of this season interesting. (yes, my Redskins heart over took my football mind when I sat down to write this, so file a law suit if you like, but I still see a Redskins win on Sunday)!

• Skulb - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:57 PM

I agree with everything you say. But if there is one unwinnable game this season it is coming up on Sunday. The players and coaches will obviously believe they can win because they have to believe that. But the fans should spare themselves some pain and accept defeat as a done deal until otherwise demonstrated and the game is over.
      But all the remaining games on the schedule are winnable. The Panthers have a good D but I am not sold at all there and their offense is sputtering big time. Their Colts game on Monday was in the running for worst NFL game of the year. New York are terrible on defense and Kirk will finally beat his New York demon in the return game. Dallas are not good and will struggle with the Skins even with Romo back, so that should be at least a split. Bills are bad, Saints will be bad away and outdoors and have terrible defense and Philly vs Skins is always a toss-up. Which leaves Chicago and my best bet for Kirk finally and decisively overcoming his away game demon this season.
      I see four more wins this season and maybe five or six if they can get on a bit of a roll. Not against the Pats though and we will go 3-5 here. Might as well learn to like it.

14. mr.moneylover - Nov 3, 2015 at 5:26 PM

I dont think 7-9 is good enough for ppl to keep they job….8-8 is respectful record…I’m tired of the local media giving kirk cousins alot credit for winning a winnable game tampa bay secondary is horrible all they got is a pass rush… win against the saints and Panthers and thats when you get respect and your job becomes more safe I dont hear about he came back and beat tampa bay we shouldn’t even had been down by 24 in the first place…the games coming up are job security games as to what I call it….its easy to beat a team thats not really good but lts totally different when you face good teams that have little to no problems with them

• hail74 - Nov 3, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Once again I’ll ask you to name the team that plays 100% flawless football every Sunday. Which is worse, falling behind and coming back to win or falling behind and losing? The Bucs and their terrible secondary beat Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. It’s not just the Tampa game, you don’t want to hear about any wins because it doesn’t help Robert. You think that art briles should be our couch just to help Griffen. I’d rather see the team succeed than one player.

• hail74 - Nov 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM

In Briles first year at Baylor he went 4-8. In his second year he went 4-8. Would you have fired him? I mean if you think going 4-12 then 7-9 should get you fired

• hail74 - Nov 3, 2015 at 6:58 PM

I live in Cleveland and a couple years ago the Browns were beating the patriots 19-3 heading into the 4th. The patriots eventually won on a short Td pass with little time left that was setup by a very questionable pass interference call of 30yds. So if it can happen to Brady, why is it unacceptable for Cousins?

• squawonthewarpath - Nov 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM

7-9 seems the most likely record by seasons’ end barring, of course, a miracle or heaven forbid, an implosion. And while 7-9 IS mediocre it is a VAST improvement over the past 2 prior seasons. Most of the fans who are realistic simply wanted to see some progress and while they have a long way to go I am most impressed thus far at the “never say die” will this team has shown.

• Skulb - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:47 PM

It just burns you up that Cousins played well doesn´t it?

15. John Hess - Nov 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM

How many games do you want the players to tell your wrong about Rich ?

16. goback2rfk - Nov 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM

I wonder what the Vegas odds are for the Redskins Patriots next week. Might be worth the $100 bet cause if the Skins pull it out you may be rich!
    Is it possible we beat Tom Brady. No way in hell. The only way to beat the Patriots is to pressure Tom Brady thats a given. The Redskins are not great at sacking the QB, horrible putting pressure on the QB, and last in the league in INT’s. We would need several sacks and Turn Overs to win the game and thats is not going to happen.
    Tom Brady is unstoppable and probably the greatest QB to ever play the game. We are not stopping him unless he breaks his leg.

17. mr.moneylover - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:21 PM

See yall ppl settling for 7-9 since its been the only ok record we had since 2012…7-9 is still bad 8-8 always by you another year thats why dallas aint get rid of jason garrett when they had three straight records of 8-8…7-9 its a possibility that the coach will be still fired…Remember when theres a new GM normally he brings in his coaches to coach players…if the players want jay gruden to stay its simple go ballout on sundays…next year this team will be way better and have better depth no matter who the coaches is…ppl forget kirk cousins was confidents was going lower and lower before that bucs game and who said he wont lose confidents again its a very possibly because hes about to face some tough teams coming up and he gotta show the world that hes ready to be a starter for this team…the teams he beat was average at best…the games thats coming up those teams are on fire and also lets not forget we havent played a whole game yet this season we show up either in the first have or the second half if we do that against these teams we wont stand a chance….give the patriots saints Panthers and giants the ball for two straight quarters and watch what happen we wont just lose we will get embarrassed in those games…calm down on kirk cousins warning yall now you guys gonna get heart broken at the end

18. Skulb - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM

I don´t care as long as we go 6-10 or better. That will prevent the traditional Dan Snyder knee-jerk sackings and give the same staff another season to work with. If we are lucky Cousins will also play well enough to be the starter next season. If he isn´t we will not have a QB for 2016 and we will be right back in the same situation then as we are now. We will then have to draft someone, hold his hand for the first losing season and then maybe compete in 2017. But obviously by then Gruden will have been fired and there will be yet another rebuild with an inexperienced QB and two more losing seasons following 2016.
    Our only hope of escaping this hamster wheel of mediocrity is if Gruden and Cousins get the results they need this season to keep going next year and beyond. And 6-10 will do that this season, 8-8 next season. Because that´s just how bad we´ve been.
    Best case I see a serious title run in 2017 if nothing implodes with this plan. And it hasn´t so far so at least there´s that. Archives