Need to Know: Will Kerrigan play against the Patriots?

Nov 2, 2015, 5:23 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Monday, November 2, six days before the Redskins visit the New England Patriots.

Ten quick thoughts on the Redskins at the bye

—I don’t think that Dustin Hopkins is a great kicker by any stretch. He’s good, maybe very good. But the Redskins just settled for having a mediocre, “accurate” kicker for so long that it just seems great by comparison.

—I still think that Matt Jones will be a very good running back; he could visit a Pro Bowl or two. But he needs to learn to be more patient and I’d like to see them work the quick toss to him more often.

—I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan Kerrigan can’t go against the Patriots with his broken hand. I’m not a doctor and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but it seems to me that his wrist will need to be immobilized during the initial couple of weeks of healing. That makes you essentially a one-armed player.

—The Redskins have 74 pass plays that have gained 10 yards or more this year. That’s tied for 10th in the NFL going into yesterday’s games. I guess most of the other quarterbacks in the league dink and dunk down the field, too. This just in—most NFL teams throw a lot of short passes.

Keenan Robinson has missed 12 tackles, most on the team. He’s a little bit beaten up but not enough to hamper him. It’s possible that he’s pressing in his contract year; someone needs to get him to relax.

—Is Alfred Morris pressing in his contract year, too? It’s possible. I can see having problems adjusting to the new blocking schemes but it’s not like the zone has completely disappeared. And they didn’t run much read option last year and he still had a solid year. A great mystery.

—Why hasn’t Robert Griffin III offered to sign a new contract that rescinds his 2016 option in order to facilitate a trade or open up the possibility that the Redskins might play him? At this point, I don’t think he wants to play this year, here or elsewhere. At this point could do nothing to improve his stock by playing this year, better for him to lay low.*

—I don’ think we’ve seen the best of Jamison Crowder. He has yet to make a move and blow past a would-be tackler for a big play. His longest gain this year is 26 yards. A much longer one is coming, either on a pass or on a punt return.

—Will Jeron Johnson get a shot at playing safety? Trenton Robinson is a good special teams player and a passable backup but he’s not a starter. Perhaps the light is going on for Johnson and he’ll get a shot at some point.

—The most mysterious injury on the team right now is that of Chris Culliver. His knee has no structural damage per an MRI but there still is apparently some pain, too much for him to be able to play. He’s been out three games and counting. Right now I’d say he’s questionable at best for the Patriots game. Of course, that could change.

*h/t to someone in my Twitter timeline for the gist of this, can’t find the tweet, let me know if it’s you.

Today’s schedule: Practice 10:45; Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice, approx. 12:30

Days until: Redskins @ Patriots 6; Saints @ Redskins 13; Redskins @ Panthers 20

1. gonavybeatarmy - Nov 2, 2015 at 6:24 AM

For what it’s worth, the line opened at two full TD. On Thursday night, New England was an 8.5 point favorite and covered the line five minutes into the game.

2. colorofmyskinz - Nov 2, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Rich I asked about Griffins contract yesterday. So you think “he” does not want to play here or elsewhere? Interesting. Why?

Wouldn’t a better contract benefit him here and for trade value. Might get playing time or trade interest without the $16m guaranteed for injury.

• hail74 - Nov 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM

If we cut him I wouldn’t doubt some team would pick him up once he cleared waivers but I don’t see anyone wanting to trade for him. QB is hardest position to just change teams with to begin with and on top of that RG3 hasn’t shown he can quickly grasp an offense. So any team wanting him wouldn’t want him to come in and play anyway.

• troop - Nov 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM

RG3 should not budge on a new contract he should just keep the 16 million that will force the Washington Redskins to cut him next year and then he will have the option to go to whatever time he wants to. If he negotiate his contract now and cut that contract in half or less than that, it is setting the Redskins up to trade him to whatever team he may not be interested in playing for.

• mjthomas85 - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM

RG3 probably doesn’t want to negotiate away the option since it would do him no good. In fact, the risks associated with negotiating away his option probably outweigh the rewards. Here are a few thoughts on why it wouldn’t be good for him to do.

1) If he negotiated away the option and played poorly for the Redskins, it would hurt his chances of signing with a team in the off season. Also, if he gets hurt, then he has nothing but another injury.
      2) If he negotiated away the option and got traded to a QB needy team now, he would have to learn a new system, and probably wouldn’t play well. Once again, if he gets hurt, then he has nothing but another injury.
      3) If he holds on to his option and is cut by the Redskins he can choose where to go in the off season. What’s more, it gives him time this year to focus on reviewing film and working on his strength/conditioning.

The only way I could see RG3 agreeing to negotiate away his option is if a team with a good defense and running game wanted him, and was willing to give him some guarantees for next year. Let’s say the NY Jets offered the Redskins a 6th round pick for RG3 conditional upon his agreeing to negotiate away the option. RG3 might agree in this case to let go of the option, assuming he gets a contract through 2016 with at least $5 million in guarantees and potential upside for a lot more if he plays well.

3. colmac69 - Nov 2, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Interesting points there

Hopkins so far bn great… time didn’t agree with change but have to admit bn for best

Any doubt bout Kerrigan he should sit…Yeh we all appreciate fact guys play through the pain but as we seen with culliver he prob made his inj worse by playing vs eagles

Robinson is keeper but him and Riley nd to clean up their tackling

Crowder is another keeper….only going to get better

Guess the fact we tied 10th in passes over 10 yrds blows the myth that we are only team that dinks and dunks with its passing attack

Watching all games yesterday on red zone I think we are better team than quite a few….comparing qb play through league cousins is playing at decent level….is he in top 10 prob not but he certainly in middle tier…funnily enough lots of other qbs throw ints that make you scratch your head……

One thing to take out of watching yesterday was how close the margins are btwn wins/losses….Yeh we got elite teams that are unbeaten and couple teams that are horrible the rest are so close it’s scary (bn that way for number yrs)…play here or there. …one mistake here or there that clubs that are 2-5 could easily b 4-3 and vice versa…..explains why we love the game

4. sidepull - Nov 2, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Kai got the Giants yesterday.

I am not as excited about Matt Jones. Jones to me just has a long way to go, a lot to prove before he lands in a pro bowl. I just want see more than what I have seen so far, and besides I am a biased loyal Alf fan. I am very hopeful Alf can pull out of this poor start and get it going soon. It really is something to have somebody wanting to step into a players spot and then to watch the way a player responds. Rg3 had Cousins in his rear-view mirror all the time and I bet it made things difficult for him sometimes. I guess that could be happening to Alf, I just didn’t really look at it like that, contract year and all. Maybe you are on to something there. Alf has the right stuff, and he is not done. The report at the bye was the team was going to correct the deficiencies in the running game of late. Who knows, maybe they make some progress against the Pats. That certainly would enter into a productive game plan against the Pats, if they could at least run the ball and keep Brady on the bench for a bit.

5. mr.moneylover - Nov 2, 2015 at 9:17 AM

The redskins QB situation wont be any better if they get rid of rg3 heres why redskins wont be in postion to get the best 2 or 3 QBs coming out the daft…its easy to say get rid of a guy but be honest with yourself is a late round rookie is better then rg3??? NO…I think they gonna keep rg3 around since he know the playbook and help him progress into a pocket passer and word came out of redskins park that scot m. And the coaches like that rg3 is making progress to become that….kirk cousins been a pocket passer thats why hes kinda ahead of rg3 on that but theres no doubt in my mind or other ppl mind when rg3 learn the same things kirk cousins learn redskins will have a better record…lets not forget jay gruden pulled a stunt on getting rg3 sideline in that lions game by putting a third stringer in the game with the first unit and that rg3 would had solid numbers if p.garcon wouldnt have drop that catchable ball in that browns game…

6. timwillhide - Nov 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM

RG3 has not restructured because the GM is not interested in trading or releaseing him plain and simple.

• mr.moneylover - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Exactly he got the two most important ppl in his corner…I can see the redskins resign him for a low salary and draft a QB that will be third string on the depth chart….now lets be clear here we still dont know how kirk cousins will look in these up coming games and that its still a possibility that jay gruden and kirk cousins wont be here next year…scot m. Havent came out and said ohh jay gruden safe this year…we should’ve won that tampa bay game because tampa bay was ranked to have the worst secondary in the NFL I just think kirk cousins and jay gruden made that game more difficult then what it was suppose to be

• hail74 - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM

And yet they beat Drew Bree’s and the saints and Matt Ryan and the Falcons.

• hail74 - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:47 AM

In response to Tampa sentence

• colmac69 - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:36 AM

That secondary which is meant to b terrible gave up…wait for it…two tds vs high powered atlanta offense (and that terrible team won the game)

Did our low key dink and dunk offense not manage three tds vs same secondary

• bangkokben - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:07 AM

You guys are clinging onto the GMs quote in March. You guys act as if everything positive said about Griffin at a press conference is A) 100% true and B) from this time forward. Really? Do GMs and coaches exaggerate or even lie at press conferences and even if they are saying the whole truth and nothing but the truth, does that truth transcend all time and circumstance? C’mon! You’re like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. Best of luck to you.

• brucefan1 - Nov 2, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Hey ben! We KNOW at least one of them LIES in press conferences; he admitted it! ;^}

And while we don’t know WHAT the heck is going on behind close doors — Schefter wrote about a blowup in the F.O. when Griffin got benched, but who argued with who, or if it happened at all, is open to speculation — but it does seem like a good team policy to present a united front to the public & media on divisive issues like this one.

And as a experienced GM, Scot is one who you’d expect to follow that policy.

• timwillhide - Nov 2, 2015 at 9:51 PM

I belive the GM came out shortly after Cousins was named starters and said they weren’t trading or cutting RG3. I also remember reading somewhere that he said he is still in the redskins plans for the future. I’ll have to see if I can find the article. If I can I will post the link

• bangkokben - Nov 3, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Tim, if you could find an article around that timeline, I’d be very interested in the link. Thanks.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Why in the world would Griffin re-sign with the Redskins barring them hiring Art Briles as their coach (which isn’t happening)?

• colorofmyskinz - Nov 2, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Resign him to a no injury guarantee, or reduce it. Isn’t that what is causing him to not be played right now? Is that what is causing him to not have a trade market right now? As far as I see it, the $16 injury guarantee hurts the redskins and RGIII. It is killing the only trade market that could develop, and it is killing any desire that might be there to put him under center. As far as I can see that is bad for RGIII and the skins. That is why you restructure it. RGIII knows he is not getting $16m from us. We will cut him before we are held to pay anything. So the big contract is only hurting him and us.

• colmac69 - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM

You can’t make this stuff up…..some of the posts on here are just unbelievable. …

• kenlinkins - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:37 AM

You may be 100% correct and by doing nothing with RG3 at all in 2015 the new GM has made the $16 million option a non factor / story (with McCoy as the back up). I also think that someone in the RG3 camp got thru to him (dude, cash your check, keep your mouth closed, enjoy your kid / wife and wait for 2016 when you can hand pick the team you play for and then prove the Redskins wrong i.e. if you can). I give RG3 credit for keeping any drama and personal feelings out of the press. I would have bet anything he could not do it but to date he has proved me wrong. Now IMO we will wait and see where RG3 lands in 2016 and see if it comes back to bite the Redskins (unless there is a trade on Tuesday which I do not see happening). And I admit that I do not want to see RG3 land in the NFC East (i.e. Philly) giving him 2 shots per a year to prove his point. (while I am not a big fan of RG3, I still see talent and would not like to face him that often.) The $16 million option may be the best thing to happen to RG3 as it might allow him to make a clean break from the Redskins after being a non factor in 2015 (i.e. easier to walk away from a team that proved it didn’t want you by forcing you onto the bench with $16 million you will never see!

• mjthomas85 - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:04 AM

The only way I see RG3 agreeing to renegotiate the 5th year option is if “the right team” comes calling for a trade, and they are willing to give him some guarantees for next year.

I only see the Jets as a team that RG3 would agree to renegotiate his option for. Overall, they have a solid defense, running game, and special teams. The quarterbacks are Geno Smith (non-factor) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (short-term solution), and they are both injured. A renegotiated contract that pays RG3 $5 million in guarantees for next year, with upside that could get him to $16+ million might be a possibility. Supposedly, the Jets have been calling around trying to find a QB, and the best free agent option is Ryan “can’t set an alarm” Mallett.

• brucefan1 - Nov 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Trading deadline is this week right? Gotta do it quick if its ever gonna happen!

• ET - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM

It’s not clear to me that a trade would benefit the team or Robert at this point, even if another team would take him. Robert can afford to wait. Hopefully he can find a good place to land during the offseason.

• brucefan1 - Nov 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Haha! We’re getting a LOT of guesswork disguised as fact from all sides of the RG3 debate; someone declared recently, “Scot’s moved on from RG!!” But Tim says that its “plain and simple” that GM is not interested in moving Griffin! says that Griffin has “the two most important ppl in his corner”!!

But nobody who is not “in the room” knows WHO in the front office is or is not in Griffin’s corner (although the OWNER is a good bet!!) Nobody has ever said anything close to definitive on the subject.

Another day in dysfunctional Redskin Nation! Ya gotta love it!

• ajbus1 - Nov 3, 2015 at 1:37 AM

• ajbus1 - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:06 PM

You’re the most dysfunctional one around here bruce. Most of what you do is just passive aggressive trolling. You are right up there with polo and Joe Greene as the most annoying commenters I’ve ever read.

For anyone who is wondering, I am the one who declared McC has made his decision on RG3. bruce jumped all over my comment, like he tends to do, and told me I have no evidence to support my claim. It’s not far fetched if you surf the web for Redskins related content. Apparently bruce requires evidence to have an opinion so I found some support of my opinion from bruce’s own comments.

brucefan1 on 10/29:
        “For all intents and purposes Griffin is gone after this year , so he doesn’t matter”

brucefan1 on 10/31:
        “But even if it does go without saying, I’m gonna re-say it once again another time, to the point of being repetitively redundant (because stating the obvious makes for a slightly lesser chance of being wrong) ; RD3 is first and FOREMOST to be off this roster as soon as the Skins last came is played this season.”
        -What evidence did you have for that statements bruce?

brucefan1 on 11/1:
        “All he(McC) HAS said is that HE picks the players, GRUDEN chooses how and when to play them”

Yet somehow I have no basis for saying McC has made his decision on RG3. YOU yourself said Griffin is gone “for all intent and purposes” and “RG3 is first and FOREMOST to be off this roster as soon as the Skins last game is played this season.” And YOU said McC “picks the players.” So if RG3 is the first cut at the end of the year and McC picks the players, then that means exactly what I said. McC has made his decision on RG3, has essentially moved on, and he will cut RG3. Thanks for helping back my opinion to which you objected.

7. Arturo Rodriguez - Nov 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM

I was turned off in your initial opinion on Hopkins. No need to take a shot at him unless you want to shake his confidence or jinx him. The Redskins did not settle for “mediocre”. He was the best available which met their criteria. Love the improvement in Kickoffs and field goals!

• bangkokben - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Crazy thought, huh? I think Rich was saying that Forbath was mediocre and that Hopkins hasn’t been in the league long enough to be considered great but it rubbed me the wrong way as well.

• Rich Tandler - Nov 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM

So saying a player isn’t great is a “shot”? One writer saying that in his opinion he’s not among the great kickers in the game will shake his confidence? And in “mediocre” I was referring to the previous kicker, who couldn’t kick the ball into the end zone with any consistency.

Not sure if you’re new here but I have written plenty of positive things about Hopkins. I think bringing him in was an excellent move.

• kenlinkins - Nov 2, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Rich: You of all people should know that Redskin fans over use the tag “great”. Almost any player who shows a flash of talent is placed in high regard and later gets the tag of “disappointed / undeveloped” as they flatten out to their true talent level. Redskin fans need to understand that doing something “great” once or better than the last Redskin at the position does not equal the term “NFL Great”. We Redskin fans seem to jump on and off band wagons pretty fast on our own and seem to really hate being told went to jump by anyone (even from people who make a living understand the NFL).

8. bangkokben - Nov 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM

From Keim at the four letter:

Sacks: Cousins has been sacked once ever(y) 34.6 pass attempts (eight times out of 277), which is better than last season. But he was good in this area in 2014 as well, getting sacked once ever 26.6 attempts. But he’s been under duress more this season — once ever 5.9 pass attempts compared to once every 7.6 attempts a year ago.

• ET - Nov 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM

The most heartening stat in that article is the last one: “Cousins has posted a 112.2 passer rating in the [red zone] (fourth in the league; league average is 91.5) with nine TDs and no interceptions.”

And he’s never thrown a pick from inside the red zone, either, according to JK.

• bangkokben - Nov 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Saw that too. Sometimes folks prefer perception over reality. I had thought that even when Griffin was doing well how could “fans” hate him so much? Now, Cousins can’t even sniff success without “fans” hating him. I feel like Rip Van Winkle. When did I fall asleep and wake up to this society. Even if Cousins were to lead a victory over the Patriots, there would be some here that would find a negative.

• brucefan1 - Nov 2, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Awww, now yer just exaggerating! LOL

(But it IS fun to do, isn’t it?!)

• mjthomas85 - Nov 3, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I think it would be great if Cousins played well in a win over the patriots. However, I have my doubts. He has been very up and down in his performance. We really need him to show some consistency, otherwise, we’re back to talking about “potential” like we did with RG3.

• bangkokben - Nov 3, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I think it would be great if Cousins stunk up the joint in a win over the Patriots. Any win over the Patriots would be a success. The point is that no team has looked good losing to the Patriots and the Cousins detractors wouldn’t care about context in a chance to whip their whipping boy.

9. greed - Nov 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM

amazing how players leave skins and learn how to play ie david amerson , sure wish we still had him

• hail74 - Nov 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM

In 3 games with raiders he’s averaging 6tackles and 1 pass defenses. Yeah we sure cut a stud there. Archives