Need to Know: Gruden wants Jones to show more patience

Oct 28, 2015, 5:22 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, October 28, 11 days before the Redskins visit the New England Patriots.

Read and react

Here are a few things said around Redskins Park on Tuesday and my reaction to them:

Jay Gruden talking about what running back Matt Jones needs to work on to improve:

He’s just got to continue to work on the pad level. Sometimes his patience, sometimes he cuts things back a little bit too quick wants to get north a little bit quicker than the play allows. But I like the way he runs.

Reaction: Jones is still a work in progress. His running is very unrefined; what he makes on a run is usually what his physical ability gets him. I don’t know if we’ll ever see the Alfred Morris we’ve seen for the last few years, whether the problem is the scheme or something else. He played 10 snaps against the Bucs, a number that does not bode well for his future. Jones is the future, and the future starts against the Patriots on November 8. The quicker he catches on, the better off the Redskins will be.

LB Preston Smith on learning how to become a better player:

You’ve got to be kind of hard on yourself just like the coaches would be. You’ve got to be critical when you watch film. You can’t just think about all of the good plays you make or all the good stuff, you’ve got to look at the bad stuff and you’ve got to correct your mistakes and know what you’ve got to do to get better the next week.

Reaction: One of the skills that rookies need to learn is how to watch film. Too many will focus on the good plays and not learn from the bad ones, as Smith alluded to. The faster they learn how to be self-critical, the better off they will be.

Chris Baker on the team dealing with all of the injuries this year:

In this league it’s a next man up mentality. We’re not the only team in the league that’s suffering with key injuries to key players . . . We’ve been able to withstand all the injuries we have, we just have to continue to find ways to win games.

Reaction:  Baker was once a “next man up”. He signed with the Redskins after bouncing around with a few teams and he came off of the practice squad when a few players got dinged up and earned some playing time. When nose tackle Barry Cofield went out with an injury the first game of the 2014 season, Baker stepped into the starting job. Baker did a passable job at nose tackle but he seems to be better suited to playing end in the 3-4 scheme. Baker has thrived in Joe Barry’s one-gap scheme, which allows linemen to be more aggressive. He’s been the team’s best defensive lineman this year and one of the best defensive players overall.

Gruden on improving the defense over the second half of the season:

We missed way too many tackles. I like the effort that they’re playing with. There’s a lot of things we can build off of. The main thing is just tackling and finishing plays and running to the ball. I always preach on hustle plays and the fundamentals of tackling, trying to get the ball out, turnovers. Those are things that we’re going to continue to work and work and work.

Reaction: The defense has improved in almost every significant statistical category for the season but they have taken some steps back in the last few weeks. The injuries have really hurt them. Will Blackmon is not a No. 2 corner but as long as DeAngelo Hall and Chris Culliver are out he will be forced into the role. Trenton Robinson is a fine special teams player but he’s not a starting strong safety. And if I know about those two, it’s certain that Tom Brady knows about them. It is likely that any defensive improvement will not take place until after the Patriots game.

Smith on what it takes become a consistently good player:

You’ve just got to stay consistent and keep working hard, things will fall into place. You’ve got to believe in the system the coaches set out for us and the game plan they set out for us. And just keep working hard and let things fall into place . . . Practice, practice, practice every day, sticking to the game plan.

Reaction: I’ve heard that Smith came into the league not really knowing the level of commitment and hard work it takes to make it in the NFL. He is still learning and perhaps that is why he is not used in games as much as many of us think he should be. There is no reason for concern in the long term but he may not be as good as a rookie as many thought he could be.

Today’s schedule: Bye week

Days until: Redskins @ Patriots 11; Saints @ Redskins 18; Redskins @ Panthers 25

1. Rich Tandler - Oct 28, 2015 at 5:25 AM

Hey folks, it appears that the comments-to-spam problem has been fixed. I’ll continue to monitor but we should be good to go. Thanks for your patience.

2. colorofmyskinz - Oct 28, 2015 at 5:42 AM

Thanks Rich! That was frustrating to spend time typing on a phone and whoosh…

My 2 cents, Jines is our future. Time to move away from Morris. He has had plenty of chances and has shown he us less than average with very little spark left. I give it to him in the eagles game in the final drive. Other than that, he would have been benched a long time ago on 31 other teams in this league with his play.

Now the skins. I really appreciate a comeback win. Was great. But against Tampa, to get 24 points down to zero was pathetic. If we are going to bring that to our games after the bye, I see pain for all of us fans.

Patriots, Saints, panthers, Giants and then Cowboys… Hummm… I see one possible win here and very possible we lose them all. Highly possible we lose all 5 of these games with high confidence.

Very likely we are looking at 3-9, or 4-8 with 4 games to play. I think we beat Chicago. I only see us winning 3 of the last 4 games.

My guess is that we finish this season at 5 or 6 wins tops. Anything beyond that us a gift for this team.

Now maybe we have this huge turning point experience and go on a winning streak into the playoffs, but then I am reminded this us the Redskins. HTTR.

• troylok - Oct 28, 2015 at 5:58 AM

If Alfred is demonstrating he cannot get it done, maybe the team should start kicking the tires on a few young running backs. There is no need to play a guy who isn’t productive and who doesn’t factor into the future of the team. The team knows they need another back similar to Jones to spell him. I’m not sure they will find an ace running back in the woodpile but maybe they can find a North-South runner who can get a couple of yards a carry. Barring that, give Young more carries.

• sidepull - Oct 28, 2015 at 6:33 AM

Never understood why they never even looked at Pierre Thomas. He is a good blocker, can catch the ball and he can run a screen play like nobodys business. Where is he now? Mystifies me. I thought he was a decent FA but thats why I do what I do, and its not evaluating NFL talent. BTW in regards to evaluating talent, I thought Jeron Jonson was brought in to be a starting safety. Whats up?

• Rich Tandler - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Jeron Johnson assumed he would be the starter and didn’t work for the job. Ihenacho worked for it and so did Robinson.

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Young is a full back. If the team isn’t running the ball well, he sees little snaps as well.

Young did have a first down run at some point during the game. He does everything that’s asked and is a good special teams player.

Seems to me you don’t understand the value of DY and you don’t have a clue how much he does for the team.

That doesn’t seem like the team’s problem. I think you need to play more attention to what’s happening in the games rather than looking at stats.

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Just not sure about Young. I have not seen him really do anything big, but we carry him on the 53 every year. I am not sure why our team always try’s to get cute with these large position change experiments. Changing a linebacker to running back. Changing a WR to CB. How many of these experiments work? How many other teams rely on “experiments” to fill their 53? Not sure why we always do it.

As for Morris, Scot M. Already cast his vote when he drafted Jones. He already saw enough tape. The only year I truly respect from Morris was 2012 with RGIII. Would he have really had 1000+ yards the other 2 years had we not been down by 21 points at half constantly and having him run the ball on 3 and 25 all the time just to prevent turnovers? He has actin of junk yards last 2 years…

Scot has spoken…

• Trey Gregory - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Color, what you’re saying makes no sense. Running backs aren’t helped when the team is down 21 points because teams run the ball less. Look at some stats before you say stupid things. Because Morris has been a great back for us every year he’s played.

Morris averaged 4.8 yards per carry in 2012 on 335 attempted for 1,613 yards. That was also with a good passing attack that teams had to respect. I think people forget about that. In 2013 his yards per carry went down to 4.6 (Demarco Murray had 4.7 yards per carry in 2014 and lead the league in yards, for comparison) on 276 attempts for 1,275. Oh! What a drop off! He had less yards but he also had less attempts, that is to be expected. There was also zero passing threat for teams to worry about so they could focus on Morris. He’s also had 11 career fumbles, and important stat. 4 in 2012, then 5, then 2, then 0 this year.

Morris has not looked great this year, but don’t dosrespect the hard work he’s done for this team with your lack of knowledge. I have always thought Morris was the kind of back who needs consistent carries before he really gets going. Like the guy who has to get punched in the mouth before he can really fight. Maybe Morris just isn’t meant to be in a committe?

Then again, he looked good in weeks 1 and 2. Those also happen to be the only weeks Matt Jones has looked good. He hasn’t done ANYTHING since then (except goal line fumble). That just so happens to be when Sean Lavau was in the lineup too. A really good run blocker. The offensive line is so key in the run game but we either praise or blame the individual RB. Spencer Long simply isn’t as good a run blocker as Lauvau is, yet. Then losing the center is just awful for run blocking and pass protection. We’ve done okay with our makeshift line in pass pro, but the run blocking has suffered.

GMs also draft young RBs all the time. Doesn’t actually mean they’re the future. They have to perform too. Morris hasn’t looked like the same back this year. But Thompson is the only back who has really shined, and in a different kind of role. Just respect what the guy has done at least, then let’s see what they come up with after the bye. Should have slightly better OLine play and scheme adjustments by then.

• JOHNNY B - Oct 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM

The other thing that you can’t forget is that we have a interception prone Qb. In which means that all teams will be aiming to stop the run by stacking the box and force us to pass. Not too many backs in this league will gain yards with no open holes and 7 to 8 lineman trying to stop him. Yes Morris is not the same but I think it is more being frustrated with no carries, Matt being brought in and his future with this team. Give him the holes and the teams trust and the yardage comes back.

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 28, 2015 at 6:30 AM

Your headline says Gruden wants Jones to get north quicker, but the quote indicates he wants Jones to be more patient. I assume it’s the latter case, right, Rich?

• skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM

I thought the same thing.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM

I effed up. Headline corrected, thanks.

4. colorofmyskinz - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Hey he pumps them out daily and gets discussion going. A blogger not a liberal columnist looking for a job like you!

5. skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:49 AM

… he wrote, with uneven, bizarre sentence margins, all the while coming across like a jackass.

6. gonavybeatarmy - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:53 AM

And yet the very small handful of people who personally attack Rich’s work return here constantly to read it as they know deep down that he’s one of the very best reporting on and providing great analysis of the Redskins.

Is Rich perfect? No. Does he make mistakes? Yes. Does he have an army of editors and proofreaders like some some news
    organizations? No. But you’re here reading it for some reason. And that’s because he’s one of the top couple of providers of quality content on the local pro football team. And yet he does his job with an appealing level of modesty rarely seen in a profession comprised mostly of loud-mouth and ill-informed narcissists.

• kenlinkins - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Agreed, Rich is very understated but he is right more often than not. I have found his insight very helpful many times. One of the few who I would enjoy a beer with while watching a game.

• skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Did you say “a beer”? Sure, if it’s growler of Arrogant Bastard.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 29, 2015 at 12:53 AM

I would have a beer with Rich. Would love to pick his brain. Or try to get a job at CSN. That would be cool for me.

7. skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Hard to imagine Morris is truly done with the Redskins but it’s beginning to appear that way. I guess it would be easier to accept if Jones was lighting it up when Morris is not, but he isn’t. none of the RB’s appear to be able to do much of anything. Morris used to be harder to tackle, that’s for sure. Such a high character guy though.

• sidepull - Oct 28, 2015 at 8:30 AM

I dont for a second believe Morris is done. All the Matt Jones hype and hes already been injured, fumbles, and on the positive side looks like a back that can catch the ball and punish defenders at the end of his runs. He is young and he really hasnt showed anything to assume he is the “back of the future”. What says he is the back of the future is his draft status. They drafted him hoping he would be able to provide a beast mode replica here in D.C. is what I think. Dont get me wrong, I hope he does. Maybe they sit Morris and just feed Jones. We will see.
      As far as CT goes it was and always is, a matter of time before hes injured. Great back, needs to be on the field to be “greater”. Morris is going to resurface. He didnt all the sudden forget how to run the ball and get old overnight. I mean Gruden has what he wants right now. He always says he wants the identity of he team to be a smashmouth running team. That’s what he said last year and them he went off the grid. This year it started off well for two games, then O line woes, now its right back to Gruden air ball. Slowly but surely they are chucking that ball a lot. Hopefully this report is that they are going to really get this running game worked out over the bye. And then stick to it even if it looks initially like it isn’t working. Morris is a good back. Maybe wrong coach and system now, but he is not done I don’t think at least I hope not. Redskins are going to have to run the ball to be competitive.

• mjthomas85 - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I agree with you. I don’t think Morris should be considered done, and haven’t seen anything from Jones that makes me think he is the definitive running back of the future. If the Redskins let Morris go, he will find a decent paying job with a team that likes his skill set, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that team is Atlanta.

• JOHNNY B - Oct 28, 2015 at 5:03 PM

I think after Cousins game Sunday and if we get Dejax back I think it might open some holes against the Patriots. It might take Cousins to beat a good team in the air to get the run game started again. One thing that I do know is that Morris is not done.

8. renhoekk2 - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Just a thought. I wonder if being in the last year of his contract is affecting Morris. It’s happened before to players. Guys play a little different because they worry about getting injured with no contract to bank on for the next season. Often they go 90% instead of 100%. Maybe even sub-consciously.

• mjthomas85 - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM

It’s always possible, but I doubt it. Jones hasn’t played well either when he enters the game, so it seems like more of an issue with scheme. Not to mention, teams intend to stop the run and force the Redskins to beat them through passing since nobody has seen Cousins perform consistently. If Cousins plays decently early on against the Patriots, then you will probably see the running game come back to life.

• renhoekk2 - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM

I know Alf comes across as an even keeled, down to earth,”every man” sort of guy. It’s hard to imagine he doesn’t feel slighted by no contract extension. He obviously outperformed his rookie contract and has managed to stay healthy. 99% of players in that situation get offered a second contract before the season. I know I would be pissed. Especially a RB. They take a pounding have the shortest career span.

9. Trey Gregory - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Wow Tom. Way to be completely unnecessary. Are you really a columnist? I have a hard time believing that based off what you just wrote. If you are though, share a link. I’m an editor and I’ll take a look. I’m willing to bet I find something.

Rich does a good job. There’s a chance he didn’t even write the headline. I don’t know how things work with his blogs, but often, editors write headlines and not the author of the story. Those kind of errors usually come from deadlines approaching and people skimming content too quick.

So if you consider that a factual error, fine. But you’re being an asshole if you do. What other factual errors do you see? Because that’s a bold claim.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 31, 2015 at 2:42 AM

Did I ever say I worked for CSN? Because I don’t. I also don’t know what their deadlines are like. But I assume they have deadlines, even for blogs. Because that’s where this industry is going.

You keep saying blog as if it’s some sort of lower form of writing. Welcome to 2015 bud. It’s how things get done these days.

I still extend my offer to review anything you write. Way to avoid that. I’ll be more than happy to point out your errors to the group here. Or you could just have some professional courtesy and quit acting like rich is the first journalists to make a mistake. Because I guarantee you have some in your writing too. I’m sure there’s errors in my writing as well. We all have them. Quit being a dick about it.

10. smotion55 - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I believe you said Smith and Jones would be starters by the 1/2 way point in the season way back in preseason . This season is right where most of us thought , except for the amount of injuries. They need to work on not being so predictable on 1st down.That is not giving up on the run.Getting Jackson back will back them off the line 1 way or another, hopefully we go deep a few times and a few read option with Kirk and the offense will be more consistent

11. kenlinkins - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:36 AM

I am not sure Morris is done but I am sure he will not get the big contract everyone had him signing back in 2013 when he looked like a world beater.

12. hk2000 - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I think a lot of the problems the Redskins RBs have are mental- as in they are coached with this tough guy “power running” mentality that they push forward with all their power as soon as they get the ball w/o even thinking about alternate rout/gap that may be opening to the left or right and end up running into a whole big pile of guys that is almost impossible to penetrate, and that pile often includes teammates who end up being in the way rather than leading the way or opening gaps. I like the RB who thinks for himself and finds the unscripted route even if it sometimes is a gamble, more often than not, it leads to more yards and I’d be willing to bet in the end nets a higher YPC, especially when the line is not good enough to clear running lanes consistently. So IMO it’s the scheme being too restrictive and the RBs unwilling to go off script.

• bangkokben - Oct 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM

RBs cannot go off script or MORE often than not it is a negative play. The stretch zone actually allows the RB to find cut back lanes but in order for this to happen you have to show consistently running the play as designed getting the defense to over-pursue. Morris rarely takes the stretch all the way outside as designed and opponents know this. I still think the line is sucking when it comes to blocking which compounds the problem. Jones provided a spark in the run game Sunday – not that it mattered because on the drive with TWO positive runs was the strip-sack TD. After that is was Jones doing a very physical version of Chris Thompson: picking of pass rushers most of the time, going out in the flat for an occasional route, and sprinkled in a few carries.

13. abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:56 AM

Cooley said yesterday on his film breakdown that Matt Jones bounces it outside too often. He misses yards that are there if he cuts and gets north and south. I guess that’s what Gruden was referring to as well.

Mike Jones said this morning that Preston Smith is a work in progress, he’s got the talent but needs to learn how to practice better. He also said that it’s become clear amongst coaches that Trent Murphy doesn’t have the speed and burst to be an OLB so the plan is to put more weight on him in the offseason and transition him into a defensice end.

• ET - Oct 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Is Murphy too big or immobile to move to inside ‘backer? I’ve wondered that. I guess he keeps getting bulkier, so DL makes more sense.

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 4:36 PM

I’ve never seen ILB or 4-3 LB as an option for Murphy for the reasons you mentioned.

I’ve personally been calling for them to have him put on weight and get stronger since we’ve drafted him to make him a DE. He just doesn’t have the speed and mobility to be a 3-4 OLB.

• skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:43 PM

It’s beginning to look like Kerrigan doesn’t have those things either.

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Kerrigan is hurt and the Redskins don’t have a pass rush threat opposite him, he misses having another threat like Orakpo opposite him.

Murphy isn’t it and Preston Smith is t ready.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 28, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Abanig: I agree with what you’re saying about Murphy, but I’ve never heard anyone say he was drafted to be a 4-3 DE. Can you explain that to me?

Because we’ve been running the 3-4 since he was drafted. I’ve also only ever seen him listed as or talked about as a 3-4 OLB. I get that even a 3-4 can use multiple fronts and play guys as more of a DE. But he’s always been a 3-4 OLB from what I remember.

His gaining weight confuses me though. You’re right, he isn’t fast for an OLB. But a lot of times GMs who aren’t good at scouting defensive players will look at college 4-3 ends who are smaller and just assume they can play 3-4 OLB. I have a feeling that’s what Allen did with Murphy. But for that to work, he has to stay thin and try to gain speed over strength. The fact of the matter is that Murphy must get better at technique, but that’s never going to work for him unless he can get a quicker first step and get to the QB faster. Even if he is strong enough to toss a tackle off the line, if he can’t get to the QB fast enough, it doesn’t matter. I would like to see him less focused on bulk and more worried about technique. Part of that technique figuring out how to get off the line quicker. It just seems like less weight would help him do that. Kerrigan isn’t particularly fast for an OLB either but he manages just fine. That’s technique

• Trey Gregory - Oct 28, 2015 at 8:52 PM

Oh, and @Color: really? We’re going to bash Kerrigan now too. Just in this thread two of our pro bowl caliber players are now considered bums? Morris is done, Kerrigan can’t hack it, Jones is a bust, and I’ve seen multiple people say Trent Williams isn’t very good around here before. God, you guys are something. A player stumbles a bit or is affected by the play around him and suddenly he sucks.

Everything abanig said about Kerrigan is correct. He hasn’t been healthy but teams can also focus on him because there’s no legit rush from the other side. Barry also has him dropping in coverage more than I think makes sense. Blame Barry, not Kerrigan. We’re not blitzing anymore.

Kerrigan also will never be like Joustin Houston. But that doesn’t mean he’s not good. His 10 sacks last year were good, but not great. But I believe he was second in the league in QB hurries. A often overlooked stat that matters. OLBs also aren’t just edge rushers. They have to seal the edge in the run game and drop into coverage. Kerrigan does a lot for this team and is about as good an OLB as most teams could hope for

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Kerrigan had 13.5 sacks last year for the record. Of course 4 of those were against two tackles who played for the Jaguars and were cut the next week.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 29, 2015 at 12:30 AM

That’s right. Thank you. I don’t know why I said 10. I knew it was 13.5. The 4 against Tampa are fine by me. Sacks seem to come in bunches for a lot of guys.

To keep this conversation going though, I’m not unhappy with Smith at all. He’s playing like a rookie. He might actually be exceeding my expectations a bit. He seemed way more like a DE to me so the fact that he’s having any success as an OLB this early is encouraging. It’s just being consistent, which is normal for a rookie.

Smith and Jones are both doing what they did in college, trying to get by in athletic ability. It’s going to take them a while to get up to the NFL level. But I look at a lot of the dominate 3-4 OLBs today and they mostly didn’t have spectacular rookie seasons.

• skinsgame - Oct 29, 2015 at 1:14 AM

Nobody is “bashing” Kerrigan. He signed a huge contract this past summer and hasn’t been a huge player. It isn’t “bashing” him to acknowledge it. You guys claim he’s hurt but he’s only been on the injured list once, in week 5, and he easily played his best game that week against the Falcons. He isn’t getting a pass rush and he isn’t stuffing the run and, in spite of your allegation, he isn’t facing a rash of double teams. Hopefully he finds his way soon. I’m pulling for him.

14. John - Oct 28, 2015 at 11:20 AM

The running problem for Alfred is twofold. The linemen need to sustain their blocks and when the hole is there Alfred needs to get in there. He has been yo hesitant even when they run zone/stretch. Jones needs to be a little more patient but is getting great at pass pro. Jones is the greater threat because of the burst that Albert lacks.

Regarding the defense, the pass rush is once again non existent. From what I understand he is not big on blitzing and keeping the passing plays in front of the coverage, but you need to pressure the quarterback or they’ll pick you apart. Barry needs to find a happy medium and get after those quarterbacks.

15. Blackbutcolorblind - Oct 28, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Wow did Morris eat ur kids color? Never seen so much hatred toward one player lol. Wild. What did he do to you?

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Really? Have you been around the last 3 years of RG3’s career as a skins qb?

16. Blackbutcolor - Oct 28, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Jones has been an absolute flop so far. We lost on that pick. Let’s see injured already couple weeks. And never missed a game. Jones fumbled two games and lost the games for us. His average is what? How many 100 yard games has he had? He’s been a total flop pick for us. Can’t Beleive they didn’t pick a guard in third round instead. Or large receiver. Big mistake. How many yards rushing did jones have last week? He had one hundred hard game all year. Not looking good for jones. I bet jones gets cut

• Rich Tandler - Oct 28, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Let’s see, Jones fumbled in the fourth quarter of a Giants game that was already long lost and they won the Rams game, the other game he fumbled in.

So cut a third-round pick because he’s not producing instantly? Patience please.

• skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Exactly. This is why people screaming for drafting “need” are obviously wrong. Players need to develop and every position needs developing players.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 28, 2015 at 4:16 PM

@Black…. And anyone else taking this Jones thing a little too far.

Look, I prefer Morris to Jones right now. But let’s not get carried away. Jones is a rookie. 1, he’s not getting cut. He still offers a lot as a 3rd down back in pass protection and with his hands. But 2, it’s way too early to truly evaluate him and call him a bust or success. Rookies are supposed to struggle. If he was pro ready out of college he would have been picked higher. He has a ton of potential he just has to learn how to lower his pads (meaning he runs too upright), be more patient, and hit his holes better. It’s too early to call Jonesnthe future, but it’s also way too early to call him a bust.

Let’s also not forget how much the OLine has to do with all of this. The run blocking just hasn’t been good since Lauvao went down.

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Spencer Long has been better than Lauvao per Chris Cooley.

I think the bigger injury is Kory Lichtensteiger’s.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 29, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Well I guess I’ll have to consult Cooley on that because I’m not seeing it at all. Lauvao was doing a great job run blocking before he went down.

Was Cooley talking run blocking or pass protection? Or just overalls?

But I also agree that Korey L going down has really hurt us. But our run game sputtered out while he was still in.

• abanig - Oct 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM

There are enough holes there for our backs to be getting 3/4/5 yards a carry. They are leaving yards on the field.

Morris has been indecisive and has been missing some holes.

Jones has not been patient enough and thus he’s missing holes and he bounces it outside too often instead of cutting it up, getting north and south and taking what’s there.

People are only blaming the OL when its not all their fault. Our backs have been underwhelming since the St Louis game.

17. Blackbutcolorblind - Oct 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM

How many yards does jones have? How many times his fumble cost the game? How many 109 yard games does jones have this year! How many yards did jones get in his 9 carries last week? To sY jones is our future at running is depressing. I hope scott reaches higher than jones fr our future at running back. I’m not impressed at all

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Jones was a great draft pick. He’s the future. Yes, he has 2 fumbles on the season. Neither one cost us a game because he was a beast vs the Rams and basically won us that game on offense – despite his fumbles – and as Rich said, the Giants game was long gone before unfortunately Jones pulled an RG3 and fumbled through the endzone…

Every Redskins fan and reporter love Morris for what he did for the franchise from 2012 and even in a few games this season but Jones is the future. Jones is bigger, stronger, faster, a better receiver and a better pass blocker than Morris. Cooley said Jones is the best pass blocking RB he’s seen behind only Clinton Portis.

Jones has only 63 carries, missed 1 game due to his toe injury, still has 249 yards, 3 TDs and a 4.0 yard average.

• skinsgame - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Not ready to give that Giants game fumble the same pass you guys are. If they score there, who knows? It wasn’t at the end of the game.

18. Blackbutcolorblind - Oct 28, 2015 at 6:32 PM

I was kidding about cutting jones. Although I’m not sure we shouldn’t of gotten a guard in third round. It seems like since louvaou and Lichtensteiger and williams hurt on and off no back had been able to run. Maybe give Thomson Morris’ carries next week and see if he provides a soark

• abanig - Oct 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Guard? They had just drafted Long, drsfted Scherff who was seen as a guy who could play RT but might be better at guard. They had Leribeus and also what guard would you have them take?

In round 4 Skins took Kuandijo who is as good as any of the guards who were taken before him in my eyes. Archives