Need to Know: Five final thoughts on Redskins vs. Bucs—Steady Garçon a key

Oct 25, 2015, 6:53 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, October 25, the day the Washington Redskins host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Five final thoughts on Redskins vs. Bucs

—Pierre Garçon has been a steadying presence in an offense that has been missing key players all season long. He has been targeted fewer than eight times this year just once is on pace to catch 85 passes for 785 yards. The receptions would be the second-most of his career. If the Redskins win today he will be a big part of it, perhaps benefitting from the return of TE Jordan Reed as much as anyone.

—It’s hard to look at the Bucs and think that Doug Martin isn’t the main weapon they have to stop. He rushed for 78 yards in the Bucs’ Week 2 win over the Saints and he rolled for 123 yards and two touchdowns when they beat the Jaguars two weeks ago. If the Redskins don’t contain him it will be a long day.

—I don’t think that there is anything that Kirk Cousins can do to lose his job today but he sure can keep it from being a miserable two weeks. If the “good’ Kirk shows up, the one who doesn’t throw any interceptions and who mostly hits his receivers in stride, the narrative during the bye will be that he has righted the ship and has a good chance to have a solid final nine games. But calls for him to be benched will get louder if the Cousins we’ve seen for the last two weeks is on the field today. Again, I doubt that Jay Gruden makes a move regardless but it will be harder and harder for him not to at least consider it.

—The Redskins’ third-quarter problems have gone on all year but they really became a topic of conversation around the team facility this week. They need to come out of the locker room and do something about it. If they kick off to start the third quarter they need to force a punt. If they get the ball they need a scoring drive. And whatever they do they can’t turn the ball over. They have 11 turnovers this season. Nearly half of them, five, have happened in the third quarter. The opponents have turned all five into touchdowns. Talk about halftime adjustments all you want but 35 points off of turnovers and five lost possessions is hard to make chicken salad out of.

—The “code red” situation has been discussed all week. It’s OK for a coach to pull out that card every once in a while and make one regular season game more important than the other 15. But it had better work. I think it will today. This is a better team than the one that lost to the Bucs 27-7 at home last year and they should be able to avoid stepping on a land mine like this one. Tampa Bay also is better and I don’t see an easy win. But the return of Reed will help Cousins out and a Redskins defense burned twice in a row on the ground won’t let it happened again. It won’t be pretty but the Redskins will take a 21-13 win.

Today’s schedule: Bucs @ Redskins, 1 p.m., FOX

Days until: Redskins @ Patriots 14; Saints @ Redskins 21; Redskins @ Panthers 28

1. garg8050 - Oct 25, 2015 at 7:46 AM

I think you’re right. I’m thinking 24-13.

2. gasngo14 - Oct 25, 2015 at 8:15 AM

We must put pressure on their rookie QB and show him some different looks. Winston has some BIG target’s to throw the ball to with M Evans coming back from injury. Get back to stopping the run,and have a turnover free second half. Skins WIN 27-17

3. JOHNNY B - Oct 25, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Captain Kirk shows up and has 400 yards 3Tds 0 ints. Alf gets 115 on the ground and matt fills in really well at 3rd down back. With Breeland having 2 picks 1 of them a pick 6. Final score 28 to 10 Redskins win at home. And yes I have started drinking lol.

• skinsgame - Oct 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM

I share all of your predictions but I have a 5 sack game by the defense on top of it and a TD by the Special Teams. 63-6.

4. jonevans511 - Oct 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Getting the Bucs off the field on 3rd down is HUGE. Winston is not afraid to let the ball fly in tight windows, which means if our corners are disciplined there should be at least a couple INT opportunities. Keep their offense to short gains on 1st and 2nd down and then get after Winston on 3rd to ensure they cannot take many shots downfield. The more they allow deep passes them more chances Evans and Jackson have to pull a few in and that’s all it takes for momentum to shift.

I also want to point out Austin Sefarian Jenkins is an athletic TE who can move. Do NOT forget about him, Skins. Taking away Winston’s security blanket will mean he has to try and make something out of nothing and often times rookie QBs cannot do that. Either way I smell a hard-fought victory where we actually play better in the 2nd half….. I know, I know. Risky proposition based on how they’ve looked in recent weeks.

• rtcwon - Oct 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Hate to buzz kill your clichés but you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting any pressure because Barry don’t blitz and they have no pass rushers but 3rd down hasn’t been a problem for the D, they’re 9th overall so far while Tampa sucks, 26th overall at converting. And Tampa, like all other teams, take downfield shots on early downs not third down. Not giving up big runs on first and second down is the key to collecting Winston’s picks.

Also, Jenkins sucks and would not be a threat even if he wasn’t declared OUT on Friday. Simms is the guy not to forget about.

Here is a cliché that is accurate, contain their rushing attack and run well ourselves and this should be a 20 point blow out. (pass D is the only thing Tampa is good at)

• rtcwon - Oct 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Forgot to mention “TE security blanket for rookie QB” was the most inaccurate cliché you dropped, all their TEs have 7 total receptions all year.

5. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM

At least we’re not starting E.J. Manuel…

6. veejh - Oct 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Skins get pounded again. Cousins is awful and tosses 2 picks. No turnovers this week to keep the game close. Book it.

7. kenlinkins - Oct 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Cousins might be sitting on a big game today if Coach Gruden does not use his “Alamo” system to start the 3rd quarter. The Redskins answered the bell in game three this year and should do it again. They understand that this is a must win game. I look for the Redskins to push the ball up the field more often and take a few more shots in the middle level area (15 to 20 yards down field). I see a Redskins win 31-20.

8. goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Cousins comes out and fires only 1 Pick Today. Matt Jones has a big game. The Redskins make Jameis Winston look like a pro bowler. Martin can not be contained goes for over 125 yards w/ a TD.

Redskins lose a close one by a late FG

Redskins 24
    Tampa Bay 27

9. JOHNNY B - Oct 25, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Wow they start the game the same predictable offense this is not Cousins this is the coaches. Gruden still can’t learn his own mistakes

10. kenlinkins - Oct 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM

“CODE PINK” ! CODE PINK”! What a joke of a opening quarter. They can not be any worst in the 3rd, they just can’t (can they?)

• kenlinkins - Oct 25, 2015 at 4:29 PM

WOW< What a roller Coaster win! The Redskins were dead in the water with 4:10 left after a 49 yard run that should have put the game away for Tamps Bay after Breeland saved the day! I love the fight in this team when it shows up.

• kenlinkins - Oct 25, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Guess I have to take back my “Code Pink” comment from when the Redskins were down 24-0.

11. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 25, 2015 at 2:02 PM

This is going to be as ugly a two weeks as I can remember. And I remember some pretty ugly two weeks.

• chris - Oct 25, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Last year all over again

• goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 2:06 PM

I saw this coming, never did I think the Skins would win today. I thought it would be close not a blow out. My predictions are correct. Martin goes big, Jameis Winston looks like a pro bowler.. etc. etc.
      Nailed it folks. The Skins are garbage.

• goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 3:10 PM

Wait? What is happening. I take back and eat all my mean words!! I eat my words!

• gasngo14 - Oct 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM

HA! NO CHANTS AGAIN, Take them posters down already!!!

12. goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Colt McCoy “TB is A Winnable Game” MUAHAHAHAH Colt you are a dumbass!!
    The Redskins are the winnable game you idiot not the other way around.

13. JOHNNY B - Oct 25, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Wait a minute what the f did Gruden grow a set. They are playing aggressive we have not seen this yet I love it.

14. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 25, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Kirk Cousins has manned up today.

We can’t run and our D is being exploited by Mike Evans and Doug Martin, but Cousins has done everything he could.

20/24 208 yards 2 TDs (and no Ints!)

2 runs for 16 yards and a TD.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 25, 2015 at 4:12 PM

For all the hate on Kirk, people have to admit something today: He put the team on his back and carried them.

15. goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Well Played Kirk, I will give you that. Well played. 2 game Winning drives this year shows balls. Impressive.

Big injuries today though. Glad the bye week is coming up.

Almost gave it up at the end there. Defense got torched today. Gave up a total of almost 500 yards.

16. dkat44 - Oct 25, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Yeah!! We couldn’t do *hit!! Give coaches some credit when we needed some spark. Give it up to Kirk everyone!! httr!!

17. JOHNNY B - Oct 25, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Let me give some grades.
    Defense = D+
    Offense = A
    Captain Kirk =A+
    Great Game

18. Skulb - Oct 25, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Told you so!

All offseason, preseason and the first five weeks of the regular season in fact. Now Kirk needs to find a way to beat a good defense and win a game against a team from New York and this season will be a success even without a PO berth.

• goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 8:24 PM

No one is sipping that Kirk Cousins kool aid just yet. At least not me. We all know he can be great “sometimes” The question is can he play 2 great games in a row. If he gets more consistent than I will be a believer for sure.
      I thought he played a hell of a game today. He was on today for sure. When he is On he looks as good as anyone. Lets hope he stays on.

• brucefan1 - Oct 25, 2015 at 9:12 PM

That is the hope, goback!

But a GREAT comeback win today!! (Just wish they didn’t give themselves such a big deficit to come back from! Can’t do that against most NFL teams! Thanks TB for all the opportunity-killing penalties! LOL)

I hope the piss & vinegar the team showed after the win carries thru into the following weeks, and that they can string together several games like the one they played in the second half!! (That first half tho … the less said about that the better.)

• Skulb - Oct 26, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Obviously. But I think he can and will demonstrate it this season. He has already done many things this year people on this site were proclaiming he could never do. And we´re only done with week 7.

1: Led two game winning drives and one game tying drive in seven games.

2: Finished two games without interceptions.

3: Responded well to bad play on his part. He has not crumbled in any of the games.

What is missing now is winning an away game, beating a legitimate contender, winning two games in a row and beating a team from New York. These are the only things remaining he has not done and which people around here like Tim will keep insisting that he can´t do. But he will do all those things this season I think, with beating a legitimate contender being the biggest question mark. The team as a whole might not be quite there just yet, but we´ll see. After he does most or all of these things he will be the starting QB next season as well.
        The people who are supporting the third string QB over the team like Tim might want to look for another team to support.

• timwillhide - Oct 26, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I support the QB I feel gives my team the best chance to win. I don’t think an inaccurate, turnover prone Kirk Cousins is our best option. I would much rather have the guy who got us there before instead of a guy who has lost games for us and has only won 4 games he has started in his 4 year career.
          You rooted for Cousins when he was the 3rd string QB overthe starter last year. I don’t see a difference.

• timwillhide - Oct 26, 2015 at 2:44 AM

You have to be kidding me we are down 24-0 to the 31st ranked defense thank god they took their foot off our throat so we could catch up with some luck and win. Cousins still can’t throw down field get out of here with the I told you so against the 31st ranked defense. 3 wins

• JOHNNY B - Oct 26, 2015 at 4:00 AM

5th ranked defense over all

• skinsgame - Oct 26, 2015 at 4:25 AM

Tim Will Hide. Long couple of weeks ahead for you, Timmy, what with the Redskins win and all.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 26, 2015 at 5:05 AM

You just lost all credibility with that one, Tim.

• timwillhide - Oct 26, 2015 at 8:47 AM

I meant to write 31st ranked defense in NFL Team Opponent Average Team Passer Rating and 31st in NFL Team Opponent Passing Touchdowns per Game. sometimes my mind goes faster than my writing. I should have proof read that one before posting

• Skulb - Oct 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM

The crickets are still chirping I see. Must still be summer then.

19. goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 8:18 PM

YOU LIKE THAT!! YOU LIKE THAT!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!#@!%!@#%%!@#

Cousins taking a shot at the haters. Thought that was pretty funny. Now come out and play like that vs. New England and I will take a sip of that Kirk Cousins koool Aid

20. goback2rfk - Oct 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM

I am more impressed by the way Cousins took a shot at Rich Tandler’s boy Tarik El-Bashir.

21. skinsgame - Oct 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM