Need to Know: Redskins’ running game caught in a bad cycle

Oct 23, 2015, 5:12 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, October 23, two days before the Washington Redskins host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Read and react

Some quotes from around Redskins Park on Thursday and my comments on them.

Jay Gruden on the Redskins’ approach to the third quarter, where they have been outscored 78-3 (counting points scored on drives that started in the third):

I think the big thing is awareness. I think awareness is letting them know that this is what the last six games have been like in the third quarter. We have had the lead five of six times and here are stats and we have to do something about it . . . then we get to halftime against Tampa Bay, hopefully it’ll be with a lead and we’ll make some, hopefully, some positive adjustments and the guys will come out ready to play.

Reaction: There is no magic wand to wave to fix the team’s third-down problems. Part of the fix would be to hold on to the ball; five of their 15 turnovers have come during the third quarter. And the defense stiffening up after a turnover would help, too; All five of the times the offense has given the ball away, the other team has turned the possession into a touchdown.

Joe Barry on one concrete step that has been taken to try to improve the third-quarter performance:

It’s been addressed, it’s been talked about. It’s been kind of a theme on the practice field. Halfway through practice, kind of cranking it up so I think it’s just one of those things. I think the worst think you can ever do anytime something is not going right is to ignore it and not talk about it. We’ve talked about it. We’ve addressed it. Now, we’ve got to play better. We’ve got to coach better.

Reaction: Cranking up the intensity halfway through practice is a good thought. It may not be a stroke of genius and it may or may not have an effect. But since there is no one thing that will cure all of the ills, it’s worth trying. I think that at some point the odds will catch up to the Redskins, they will outscore their opponents in the third quarter over the course of a few games, and everyone will declare that the problem was solved.

Gruden on the team’s running game over the last few weeks:

Yeah, it’s hard. I think the big thing in the running game, it’s OK to get one or two years every now and then. We’re not going to hit all our runs, but it’s important for us to get some hits – some 15-yarders, some 20-yarders – which we haven’t had. We haven’t had any long runs. I don’t know what our longest run is the last couple of weeks but it hasn’t been very long. It’d be nice to get a couple of those which opens up your play-action.

Reaction: For Gruden’s information, the Redskins’ longest run in the last two weeks has been nine yards, by Chris Thompson early in the third quarter of the Atlanta. Their longest run against the Jets was an eight-yard gain by Thompson just before halftime. So not only have they not broken 15 or 20 yards, they haven’t even hit double digits. The Redskins are stuck in the vicious cycle where they can’t run the ball because they can’t run the ball. An inability to gain more than a couple of yards on first down means that running on second down is not a viable option.

Barry evaluating Perry Riley’s performance since missing two games due to a calf injury:

“The thing that was a bummer was when he got hurt, he played lights out against the St. Louis Rams. He really did. I think that’s a little —  when a guy misses some time, especially with a lower extremity injury, he comes back, you’ve got to knock a little bit of rust off, so I don’t think Perry has played poorly. And we’ve had the conversation, ‘Get back to how you played against the St. Louis Rams.’ I think he had a great week of practice this week. So, I think it’s part of the deal sometimes when a guy misses time and then comes back, it takes him a little bit of time to knock some rust off… Perry has played physical. I don’t think by any means — don’t pinpoint anything on Perry Riley. We’ve all got to play better, we’ve all got to coach better, bottom line.”

Reaction: That’s kind of a long passage to plough through so let me shorten it for you—Riley has not been playing well. OK, there might be some “rust” after the injury (he missed the Giants game and the Eagles game) but he’s been back for two games and there is no reason for a guy who has been starting for coming up on four years should not be able to come back without missing a beat. In answer to a follow up question, Barry said that they were not considering moving Will Compton into the starting job. But if accountability means anything, they can’t go for too much longer without considering making a move if Riley continues to play as poorly has he has the last two games.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:55; Jay Gruden and Sean McVay news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30

Days until: Bucs @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Patriots 16; Saints @ Redskins 22

1. abanig - Oct 23, 2015 at 5:40 AM

When there is no threat to throw the ball deep, or even accurate intermediately and your qb is not a threat to run the ball, your running game will suffer.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Agree, rashad ross just collecting dust….they should throw it deep a few times to rashad Ross….if kirk cousins cant have a good game against the weakest secondary in the NFL then jay gruden gonna hear alot of noise during the bye week about his job security I can bet you that

• mr.moneylover - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM

• mjthomas85 - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:15 AM

I completely agree with you about the passing game. Also, they need to mix things up more often. I said this before, but every time R. Ross gets on the field teams know he is going to run deep and the Redskins will throw him the ball. It’s too predictable.

They need to mix in a play where he runs deep to pull a corner and safety down field and have someone like J. Reed or J. Crowder run a shorter route across the filed to clear out defenders. Then give the ball to the running back on a delayed hand off. This would make R. Ross less predictable and open up the running game.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:04 AM

winner winner chicken dinner for abanig!

• goback2rfk - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM

The chats are coming: Rg3! Rg3!! Rg3!!!

If Gruden is smart he wont dress Rg3.

2. garg8050 - Oct 23, 2015 at 6:28 AM

I expect the running game will be much better this week. Getting Williams back obviously helps the blocking. Getting Reed back gives the defense an outside threat to account for. I think we’ll see an effort and result similar to the Rams game.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM

All valid points and I have similar expectations about the running game with Williams. However, the passing game needs to challenge a Tampa secondary that has yielded 12 touchdowns so far this season. The offense must be capable of exploiting these types of weaknesses to have any real chance of moving the changes with regularity.

• ET - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Getting Reed back should help a lot. And as Crowder becomes more comfortable, I think he’ll become an important safety valve as well. Both players are good yards-after-catch guys (which the team needs desperately). Really want to see the offense take more shots downfield, however.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Getting Jackson, Reed, and Crowder on the same field would be a great relief for Cousins. How he responds to those weapons is still unknown. That is the most frustrating part about this season so far. On paper the WR core can be pretty damn good but because of injuries we haven’t transmitted that potential onto the field.

3. Skulb - Oct 23, 2015 at 6:56 AM

Bananas at half time!

4. mr.moneylover - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Some things just dont never change….accountability means everything to a football team if you dont have that players not gonna take the game serious or they gonna think making mistakes is ok and thats not how you build a superbowl team….perry Riley needs to be benched last year when he got injured and came back he struggled for the rest of the year he didnt improve at all he refused to cover his guy witch led to wide open touchdowns

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:25 AM

I dunno money. I see that they have made some attempts at accountability this season. They cut Amerson, Forbath, benched Roberts and Rg3 went fro first to third string. There is probably more they could do and Riley is certainly on deck you would think. He really has played poorly.

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Yep time to bench MORRIS!! I want him in street clothes this week and want jones as primary.

• bangkokben - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM

I guess all of Jones negative runs don’t count.

• mjthomas85 - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM

M. Jones hasn’t played any better than A. Morris. Not only has he coughed the ball up more, he hasn’t shown that he can handle the physicality of the NFL. Injuries happen to everyone at some point, but he hasn’t gotten through half the season and he is already hurt. How can you anoint M. Jones as our go to running back?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I guess his fumbles don’t either

• Darius - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Time to bench Gruden’s playcalls. Morris is the type of back that gets stronger as the game goes on. 2-3 yard runs in the first quarter turn into 7-8 yard deflates in the second half. Gruden thinks he has Brady or a younger Peyton who can effectively throw the ball 40-50 times a game. Being an effective running team means being committed to running the ball not screens and quick passes as an extension of the running game. The offense lacks an identity.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Please show me these runs on some actual play by play sheets. Morris’ worst average per carry is in the fourth quarter.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:49 AM

They bench andre roberts for like a week only then when he played again he struggle again and again…they need to just cut that fool already and sign a better wide receiver he drop open passes

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Yea and he wont be here next year I bet. He just never has been a pick up for the Redskins. “Cut the fool” says it all thats for sure.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:55 AM

@sidepull…rg3 didnt get bench for his play he got benched because two things 1. He got injured because a third string O-linemen was starting with the first unit whose currently not in the NFL nomore 2. Jay gruden never wanted to work with rg3 4real because after he got a job a report came out saying jay gruden was excited to work with kirk cousins not rg3 he came out and decline the report but the pass two seasons is evidence that the report was true

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:03 AM

You ever consider the fact that the reason Gruden took issue with RGIII was because of his lack of leadership and his ability to divide a locker room?? That alone could be enough. Can’t just be a super start athlete at QB you have to lead.

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Yea money I wasn’t really sating particulars just that, right or wrong, and for whatever reasons, they have been trying to call themselves being accountable. Rg3 is in that mess. And now, Cousins is rightfully being scrutinized.
        It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Sooner or later this whole QB mess will be water under the bridge. At least that’s what I have been telling myself for the past 20 years. There is a lot of Redskins that need to be held accountable and it not just with the players that’s for sure.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM

“Jay gruden never wanted to work with rg3 4real ”

Yes, the writing was on the wall last year about Gruden’s position on RG3. However, this demonstrates two key facts: 1) Gruden is not a developer of QBs unless it fits his scheme. 2) Gruden is not capable of running any other scheme but his arena bowl version of the west coast offense.

• hail74 - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Are we just going to assume that RG3 was a willing student? Is there a chance that the reason 2 coaches soured on him is because he thought he knew how to learn and didn’t need others teaching him. I remember when he got hurt how he said he was training hard and throwing from a chair. I was excited because of his determination and grit but I also think that’s he weakness. Perhaps he should’ve been doing more film study?who knows maybe he was all over that too but practice and practicing right are two separate things.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 3:14 PM

“Are we just going to assume that RG3 was a willing student?”

Absolutely – I don’t accept the media garbage they put out that attempts to distort and create unnecessary drama with every breath that kid exhales. I’ll take his word over any reporters. He has continuously stated he’ll do whatever the coach instructs him to do.

I don’t argue that he struggled with the west coast offense. As a matter of fact there is no denying that. However, I will contend that the impressions Gruden gave in public last season demonstrates his treatment of RG3 was unbalanced to say the least. He demonstrated little patience with RG3, but was far more patient and forgiving about his own performance as a rookie coach.

The context of his interviews in support of Cousin this season was not there for RG3 last season. It’s clear to me he had his preference as a starting QB and I feel it does go farther than the results that came out in OTAs, TC, and preseason. I think it is extends to it being personal. Whether RG3 did something to make it personal I don’t know. However as a coach, he did a poor job of managing RG3 last season and yes I contend that this poor management of him carried over into this season. This claim of a “secrete” QB competition during camp is bogus. It never existed. I think Gruden may the switch to Cousins out of impulse and not competition. The concussion drama gave him that opening.

Regardless, I think it is clear it is best for RG3 to move on if the Redskins are going to hold on to Gruden. Yes, personally if I had my way it would be Gruden getting the boot. However, I can’t control that and will just accept one or the other being gone next season. As a football fan in general, I do realize that separating the two is the best outcome even if, in the end, it comes back to haunt this team.

• colmac69 - Oct 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I think your forgetting that the gm backed gruden with his choice of qb…..

Unless u happen to think the gm was in cohorts with gruden regarding the “so called deception “of stringing rgiii along

I already said gruden backed himself into corner with public criticism of rgiii….no matter what he has said since people on here assume cousins gets the softly softly approach

I do agree if gruden coach nxt yr it b in best interests of rgiii to find new employment…..results and progress will determine if gruden back

Hopefully results and progress is made…..however some on here can’t wait to see team fail so they can come on and give it how they bn right all along….wanting your team to lose is something I can’t comprehend and I’m 2000 miles away

I back the team regardless of who coach is or who starting qb is….it’s pity some on here can’t say same thing

• brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Effen “A”, JD!!!

You just laid out the “Gruden vs Griffin” scenario in a very complete and cogent manner.

If anyone ever wants to know where I stand on why Griffin is third string on the 2015 Redskins team — and not the STARTER — I’m just gonna copy and paste that reply in answer to them (unless you copyright it, that is!).

If I may be so bold, I’d like to name it the “Gru Buries Griff” Manifesto! LOL

• colmac69 - Oct 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM

I posted a reply to this viewpoint earlier but it’s got lost in translation….it might pop up later

So if this was all big cover up from March to August regarding rgiii prospects of starting then what do you think the gm was thinking during this period?

• hail74 - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Name, do you think that maybe gruden’s treatment of cousins this year as opposed to griffs last year could possibly stem from he himself maturing as a coach? I do. I will also say that last year I did not buy into all the media noise, thank god we don’t have that now, but Griffen had a knack for saying the wrong things too which made it easy enough to think there was some truth to all the noise. In my opinion there was some truth to the teams general mood towards rg3 and will accept what coach said after cousins performance against Baltimore that he felt the team responded more to cousins leadership. My eyes have not shown me anything to disprove that either. That and the fact that rg3 isn’t worth 16 mil in cap space make Kirk the right choice for now.

• brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:16 PM

colamc69 asked, “What you think redskin/Bruce? What do yous think gm position was in all of this?”

What do I believe, 69?

I believe exactly what Scotie Mac has said clearly and emphatically; that he provides the players, and Jay decides what he wants to do with them. I’m not even sure that Jay is required to consult with Mac on those decisions, because at this point in time it seems he’s placed them squarely in JAY’S hands.

So with that in mind, if Jay decided to play the media, Griffin, the players — and us fans — for chumps in order to placate us, I suspect there’s very good reason to believe he did it without Mac’s input. (Besides I have seen nothing yet to make me believe that Mac, too, is a duplicitous double-dealer. I KNOW Jay is … he said so himself!)

But I also believe this; that Scot is monitoring Jay’s every move and decision carefully … analyzing, evaluating and judging them in an effort to decide if this guy — who he inherited, not hand-picked — is the type of head coach he wants to bet his team’s future on.

It remains to be seen if a guy who can lie to all parties involved about his important decisions, and later boast about it, is exactly the kind of guy Scot wants. Maybe …maybe not. Guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:49 PM

“I think your forgetting that the gm backed gruden with his choice of qb…..”

The GM didn’t back him. The GM has been clear that he allows the coaches to make the decision regarding who starts on the field. This is what makes Scot a good GM. He focuses on the personnel he brings in and allows the coach the opportunity to decide who starts. Even Gruden publicly stated he makes the decision on starters. Not he and the GM!

“Drawing comparisons to Alex Smith’s early stint with the 49ers, McCloughan identified the need to surround Griffin with a strong rushing attack and a more reliable offensive line.

Ultimately, it will be Gruden — not McCloughan — who chooses the Week 1 starter.”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:52 PM

If you are inferring that as a policy the GM backs the coaches decision on who starts then yes that is what he does. However, it doesn’t mean Scot thinks it was the best choice.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:54 PM

“If u think gruden made that call without the go ahead from the gm then your kidding yourself”

Now this is where your argument blows up. You kidding yourself if you think the GM must make the final call on starters. It’s either that or you suggest both Scot and Jay are liars.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM

“Was he “in the loop” regarding rgiii or did gruden conspire all this himself and made cousins the starter solely himself without even discussing it with gm and owner”

It’s hard to know what the GM’s position is because he has stayed out of the discussion. I don’t think Gruden conspired. I’m suggesting he made a gut call to go with Cousins. Now assuming this premise is fact even though I’m really just making an opinion here; Gruden’s big mistake is that I think he tried to back track on the call by stating there was always a QB competition. This is not a conspiracy and I think the GM just let’s the coach make the call on starters. If I was GM, that’s what I’d do as well. Let the coach do his job and if Cousins fails then I’m sure Scot won’t hesitate to release Gruden if he feels there are better options as head coach. Remember that Scot didn’t hire Jay which makes it easier to cut the head coach loose if this GM feels he can do better by making his own hire.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:07 PM

“Name, do you think that maybe gruden’s treatment of cousins this year as opposed to griffs last year could possibly stem from he himself maturing as a coach?”

Excellent question Hail. Yes I think maybe that is a possibility. Last year’s rash statements leave me with a bad impression about Gruden. However, I’m aware I’m delving in an discussion where I’m speaking opinion and not fact about why Cousins became a starter. He maturation as a coach is a great argument to my contrary opinion.

• bangkokben - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Once again, you’re ignoring the facts. Griffin being on the bench is accountability. Roberts not dressing is accountability. Forbath and Amerson being cut also shows that accountability. So Barry is giving Riley a longer leash, why not? Barry wasn’t here last year when Riley was horrible. Barry has seen Riley ball the first two weeks of the season and all of training camp when Will Compton was injured – and so did the rest of the team, btw.. It’s good to see a coach have his players’ backs – especially if they preformed for him. Compton was better than how Riley is now but nowhere close to how Riley was at the beginning of the year. Be patient. What you really want is some guy who makes changes as soon as a guy has a bad game. That does not send the right message to the team, either.

• ET - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I’ve never been a big Perry Riley fan, but I agree with Barry’s decision in this case. Riley was looking GOOD before his injury, perhaps the best he’s been in burgundy and gold. He earned a little trust, IMO.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Riley has been very impressive this season. He’s had a few bad match ups on passing downs. However, that’s his fault it’s the fault of the scheme. Riley needs to be working the A Gap and blitzing on opportune times. He’s very good in that role. He’s not a coverage guy unless you are talking pursuit only when the running back becomes the receiver. No way you cut him based on his overall performance this season.

• Skulb - Oct 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Maybe not. But he should be benched for Compton based on his awful performance against the Jets.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:11 PM

I think such a benching could have been done during the game but I wouldn’t go as far as forcing Riley to lose his starting position going forward. I’d like to see if the player before the injury returns. I think that player is far better than anything Compton can bring. If Riley continues to slide then it’s understandable to move Compton in as the starter.

5. colorofmyskinz - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:32 AM

I watched Seattle last night and there is s major major major difference between how Morris runs and how Lynch runs. We are talking physical, fast, many many hard cuts, speed, and raw beast mode. There is not a whisker of a beast anywhere in Morris. He is done in my opinion and we need to invest our time in Jones. No one fears Morris, everyone fears Lynch. Many fear Jones. Time to move on to a dynamic back.

I know all the Morris fans will talk about the blocking. And what I say is Lynch would undoubtably crush it behind our line. If you question that, your head is buried in fan-sand. Morris is done. Time to move on.

6. skinsgame - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Reading through yesterday’s posts, until Cousins beats teams with downfield passes the run game will be a dud. Sunday’s as good a game as any to see if that’s true.

• Skulb - Oct 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Or it´s the reverse. Without a credible running game opposing defenses can just sit back in coverage so there´s nowhere to go with the ball. SF-Seattle was this all the way, Yet why not just blame Kaepernick? it´s so much simpler. Most likely it is a combination with the Skins. Alfred has been bad, the receivers have been erratic and Kirk is struggling. All three need to improve if they want to win any games. You have to find holes, hit your cuts and break tackles, you can not drop balls or fall when your QB is under pressure and you can´t make poor decisions with the ball when plays break down.

• skinsgame - Oct 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM

I totally agree. It’s all about execution, no matter what the play is.

7. sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:50 AM

And one of my favorite players, DY, he can catch a pass you know? Like some DY sightings to help out the O.

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

DY reminds me of Lorenzo Alexander in a way, you never know what you had in a player until they are gone. Alexander left a big hole. DY is a weapon for crying out loud.

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM

You watch Lynch run last night? Morris looks like a 50 year old trying to play in the nfl compared to him. Morris just does not have the cuts or the ability to make people miss. He rarely cuts back to hot cut back lanes and is brought down by first tackle. His strength used to be yards after first hit. I bet that stat shows negative yards right now. He is milk toast compared to lunch or jones.

• mjthomas85 - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Jones has proved nothing. He hasn’t played all that well, and he is already missing games due to injury. Injuries happen, but he could last more than a quarter of the season. Until he proves he can handle an NFL workload and produce better than Morris, Jones is nothing but a back up.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Redskins have weapons but jay gruden like staying in a small box of options instead of bein creative and pull in guys who can get the job done…DY couldve played TE until jordan reed came back thats why say theres no excuses why we losing games we should have won

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Time to cut DJax and Roberts. DJax made it very clear this offseason that his career brand beyond football is more important than football. He does not think he has to work to start, and that created his injury issue. Unless he has had an epiphany, he is done.

We need a megaton style WR, not these speedy small receivers. I honestly think Jordan reed would be a better large receiver than TE. If he lost 20 lbs and changed to receiver he would be deadly. We still need to draft a big WR. No one under 6′ 3″, 230.

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:22 AM

yea i can see it now, Cam Newton to Djax.

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Flacco to Djax

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Yes for 4 whole games per season… Not concerned about that… He is worthless on the bench in street clothes.

• sidepull - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Color Djax has a pretty good record of staying healthy. He just got a big hammie tear and it takes time. Agree he has outside interests that may have contributed to his injury and i think he acknowledged that. It will be intersting to see how he handles training as the 2016 season unfolds. I do not think they will resign him. Keep Garcon is my vote.

But yes a QB like Flacco or Newton who can flat out launch a nice deep pass would love to see Djax run under one of these ESPN highlight reel passes. I do think they jumped on Djax for that very reason, because they saw RG3s arm just laying it out for Djax and stretching the heck out of a defense.

Odell Beckham, another guy in the Djax mold, flashy, fast, but he will not always be available during the season. A hammie pull in these fast twitch speedy acrobatic guys is not uncommon. The are like thoroughbred race horses puling up lame. Without him to account for, well the Gmen are average.

• voice4thefans - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Dumb a– sidepull stop tripping on RG Diva he is done in DC

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Voice, Cousins is starting to look a bit well done to me here. If I had to vote on the real dumb a– here then you’d be far higher on that list than the one you just attacked

• brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM

Aaron Rodgers to DJax!

8. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Getting TWill back will help the running game. And so will having one of our legitimate passing threats in J. Reed.

But it would still help to make the play calling less predictable.

We don’t have enough talent on the team yet to get away with “we’re going to run the play you know we’re running, and you can’t stop it anyways.”
    ~

9. hk2000 - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I notice Barry always includes coaching as one of the areas that need improving, Gruden keeps emphasizing playing better, which is code for lack of execution, instead of recognizing his own deficiencies.
    The reason the running game is bad is because we got a coach with a tiny playbook and tiny brain to go with it, and a QB who cannot throw an accurate pass more than a few yards down field- even a lateral pass to a wide open receiver gets thrown 10 yards above his head!!!!

• voice4thefans - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Dumb as Gruden do not call the plays Sean Mcvay do

• hk2000 - Oct 24, 2015 at 12:00 PM

That, coming from you, I’ll take as a compliment. Thanks.

• skinsgame - Oct 24, 2015 at 10:01 AM

You’re describing 22 teams in the league.

10. voice4thefans - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:53 AM

If the hole is not big and I mean real big Morris is to slow to get through it Bench Morris and go with Jones

• goback2rfk - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Morris is slow as a bag of rocks. His initial burst speed is way below average for a NFL RB. Its time to let Jones become the starter and Thompson the 3rd down back and share carries with Jones. I would like to Morris moved to the 3rd string position.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Jones is gradually getting his carries. However, his time on the field is his own demise. If he can avoid critical fumbles and injury then he may take over the bulk of the snaps. Quite ignoring the flaws of the rookie. He’s not ready to be the starter yet.

11. red - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Im at the end of my rope here guys please help me someone! K.cousins is a turnover machine. Knew that a year ago. How in the hell is he still starting? Rg3 is the best qb on this team. Maybe not in a traditional qb sense but if kirk and colt are your traditional qbs they are below average at best. Rg3 has a heisman plus rookie of the year plus a playoff appearance. If he aint the best qb on the team im blind. Who cares that kirk dont get sacked? If you got a qb that throws picks more than tds pull him out! If rg3 takes sacks guess what? He could make a play with his legs on 3rd and long! Has he not made 70 yd runs? Last year he scrambled for a td but he fumbled so dont say that it was 2012 rg3 and he cant run. Grudens system aint working for any qb he needs to be canned right now. This is unforgivable we went from being a team that was a qb away to having a roy qb rot on the bench. New offense that would let rg make one read then either run or reset would get us further than grudens current system. Please tell me i missed something….

• hail74 - Oct 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Rg3 can run, only now he’s not anywhere near the fastest guy on the field and as you pointed out he fumbles too. Remember tho that gruden isn’t the only one who wanted Robert to become a more traditional qb.

• brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:00 PM

How do YOU know how fast Griffin can run these days, hail74?! Or how well he can pass these days?! Or how well he can work in the pocket?!

When have you ever SEEN him do any of those things? Or even get a chance to try? None of us have — because he got scant chance to show us ANY of that before Gru pulled his plug!

All you’re going on are things you saw in the past! Things that defiantly have been affected by less-than-prefect health. Things that were affected by a lack of experience and familiarity!

But those who paid close attention do know that he worked & practiced HARD to get better this off-season. That he studied hard. He worked with the a QB coach. That he looked fully healthy again. That he got some very good praise from the media in camp. That he performed well in his first (albeit brief) preseason appearance. That he even got praise from GRUDEN! (Oops! We all know what HIS word is worth. Never mind!)

But then all that was wiped away in that Detroit debacle. Then, all Griffin’s detractors could put their “anti-RG3 ” blinders on and join Jay’s mantra, saying “See I told ya … same old Robert!!” And for them, that’s what he has become; “same old Robert”.

But for many of us, there very well could have been MORE — real improvement — if he had only been given the chance he was promised by his coach.

But I guess we’ll NEVER see that now. Jay has buried him under a pile of rocks, never to step on the field again as long as HE’S HC! So I guess were gonna hafta wait to find out if and how much all that work has paid off once Griffin is in another uniform.

(But on the other hand, we ARE getting to see how much Cuz’s off-season work has paid off. At least he doesn’t curl up in the fetal position with his blankie, sucking his thumb anymore after his still-ubiquitous interceptions! Thank heaven for small favors. LOL)

• bangkokben - Oct 23, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Multiple people in the media have come out this week on the local radio waves disputing the “improvement” and “praise.” Brian Mitchel was adamant at the time (August) that he hadn’t seen “all this improvement I’ve been hearing about” and reiterated such earlier in the week. The beat reporters that I have heard on the radio this week have basically used that positive talk by the coach about Robert as “evidence” that he hasn’t treated Cousins any different to Robert – THIS YEAR. There was at the beginning of the week a chicken vs.egg debate as to whether Gruden was simply backing his guy or has learned from his mistake from last year. Mike Jones stated that he thinks Gruden privately is very frustrated with DJax and Cousins performance. He also doesn’t believe any thing the coach says from the podium about a player now.

12. colmac69 - Oct 23, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Four quotes on the story and not one bout cousins yet we still getting people on here throwing him under the bus……

Guess some people will never get the point that the team has a few more problems than only cousins

Having reed and Williams available is big esp problems reed should give the bus

Here a question that I wondered about during wk….last wks starting o-line apparently had 15 starts btwn them…has there ever bn another o-line that’s played that bn so inexperienced across nfl as whole?

• goback2rfk - Oct 23, 2015 at 12:35 PM

QB is the most important position on the field and Rex Cousins is awful. Sure we have plenty more problems than Rex Cousins, however, when the QB sucks it does not help matters any.

13. goback2rfk - Oct 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Rg3! Rg3!! Rg3!!! I am tired of watching INT’s over and over again. I am ready to see some sacks and fumbles over and over again!

• gasngo14 - Oct 23, 2015 at 3:12 PM

You better have the stretcher ready!

• dkat44 - Oct 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Hopefully Kirk can do better than RG3 did last year against the Bucs. 2 INT, 1 fumble & 6 sacks.

• brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 5:42 PM

“Hopefully Kirk can do better than RG3 did last year against the Bucs. 2 INT, 1 fumble & 6 sacks”

He better do a whole lot more than just a LITTLE better than that vs the Bucs, or he might find himself holding the clipboard for Colt in New England!!

• goback2rfk - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Colt McCoy is an idiot. Can’t believe he said “TB is a winnable game.” He Colt are you a dumbass or what?
          You think the Skins are good or something?! He should be saying that about any other team in the NFL.
          Playing the Redskins is the winnable game. You got it all wrong Colt.

• ajbus1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM

That’s hilarious goback2rfk! But sadly true also. Btw, what are you having for dinner tonight?

• goback2rfk - Oct 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM

NY strip tonight , with loaded bake , and side of Parmesan encrusted asparagus. I take it you had a decent meal tonight?? Keeping your nutrition up helps take the Skins losses easier.

• ajbus1 - Oct 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Dang that sounds good! I had BBQ chicken and au gratin red potatoes. I sure hope we don’t lose to tampa, tired of the season being over so early.

• brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Hahaha!

Nah … short of BOTH Cuz & Colt getting crippled (and I’m talking physically, not emotionally — which I suspect for a lot of close observers might be just around the corner, if past is prologue, for our fragile Cousin Kirk if he blows another game or two!), you will never see “Rg3” in a game again for the Skins.

So I guess we’re stuck with the interceptions. Just hope that they’re not those especially galling ones that negate a bunch of good things the offense had accomplished up to their commission. Hate those the most!! LOL

• ajbus1 - Oct 24, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Kirk learning to throw it away seems to be as hard as it was for RG to learn to slide.

14. brucefan1 - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:44 PM

OK! I done had enuff!

Who here is paying Real Redskins to flush my comments down the crapper! I don’t care if that’s were they DO belong — I craft them, and I wanna SEE ’em up here!!

Oh wait … you’ve ALL have had missing comments here over the last several days?! Well then ….. nevermind.

LOL!

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 23, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Sorry, it me. I got a 3% plus discount on gas to flush your comments.

I feel bad, but I needed the money.
      ~

• brucefan1 - Oct 24, 2015 at 12:40 AM

So is it a conspiracy with gasngo14, at the Gas ‘n’ Go where he sweeps up? Cuz HE’D do it. ;^}

• Rich Tandler - Oct 24, 2015 at 6:34 AM

Sorry, a ticket has been filed with the NBC tech folks. I’m getting to approving them as often as I can but unfortunately I can’t get there often enough.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon, apologies for stifling your freedom of expression. :)