Need to Know: Redskins need to contain Bucs’ Martin

Oct 21, 2015, 5:05 AM EDT

Doug-Martin-Bucs

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, October 21, four days before the Washington Redskins host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Five early thoughts on Redskins vs Bucs

—The Redskins are favored in this game by three and a half to four points, depending on where you look. Last year the Bucs came into Fed Ex Field on a five-game losing streak and were 7.5-point underdogs. They won 27-7, one of their two victories on the season. The game was the beginning of the end for Robert Griffin III, who threw two interceptions and drew the pubic scorn of Jay Gruden for his play.

—In 2012, many Redskins fans were upset when Bucs RB Doug Martin was chosen to the Pro Bowl as an alternate ahead of Alfred Morris. They were both rookies and while Morris rushed for 1,600 yards, Martin had 1,450 on the ground and another 450 receiving. After two injury-plagued seasons, Martin is rounding back into his rookie form. In five games (the Bucs are coming off of their bye) he has 405 yards rushing, seventh per game in the NFL, and another 94 receiving. The Redskins have had trouble with Devonta Freeman and Chris Ivory in the last few weeks and if they don’t turn things around defensively, Martin could go off and Washington will have a tough time winning if that happens.

—Without doing any advanced statistical analysis, I’d guess that Jameis Winston is probably the quarterback most statistically similar to Kirk Cousins in 2015. In five games as opposed to six for Cousins, Winston has one pick fewer than his counterpart on Sunday and has thrown one more touchdown pass. Cousins has a better completion percentage by about 10 percentage points but Winston averages a yard and a half more per attempt. Cousins has a 77.4 passer rating compared to 77.6 for Winston. It’s a pretty even matchup at QB.

—One thing Cousins has been able to do well this season is stay upright in the pocket, with help from the revamped (and, against the Jets, re-revamped) offensive line. He has dropped back 235 times and has been sacked just seven times, a sack percentage of 3.0. Something will have to give this week as the Bucs have sacked quarterbacks on 9.2 percent of the dropbacks, fourth in the NFL. Tackle Gerald McCoy leads the team with 4.5 sacks, followed by end Jacquies Smith, who has 4.

—If the Redskins are going to get their rushing game back in gear, this could be the week. The Bucs are giving up 120 yards per game on the ground and they have played only one team, the Panthers, better than 16th in the league in rushing. Of course, the Redskins fancy themselves to be one of the better rushing teams in the league but their dismal rushing performances in the last two games (85 yards combined) have dragged them down to 17th in the league with 107.2 yards per game.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:35; Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30

Days until: Bucs @ Redskins 4; Redskins @ Patriots 18; Saints @ Redskins 24

1. Skulb - Oct 21, 2015 at 5:30 AM

Just please get a running game and some ability to stop the run and this should be a win. Hard to develop much optimism in either category after the Jets game though.

• sidepull - Oct 21, 2015 at 6:45 AM

Agreed. If the Redskins cannot run this week, then its left up to Cousins again. The running game HAS to crank it up.

Hope the defense get some take aways and the special teams does something special. They need all the help they can get on offense.

I just dont know what to say about the 3rd quarter. Doc Walker was talking yesterday and he made me laugh, saying he would do anything he could to get something out of the 3rd quarter, even start RG3 in 3rd quarter….I guess the point being that losing the 3rd quarter has got to stop and he felt shaking things up is worth a shot.

• Skulb - Oct 21, 2015 at 6:52 AM

Yes I heard that. I would agree with him if it wasn´t for the injury clause in his option and the painfully obvious fact that this would serve to reignite the interminable RGIII controversy in this club. Maybe put McCoy in in the third if the offense sputters though. I´m all for anything that can help fix the third quarter issues right now. Not that I really expected to win the last two games but it is agonizing to play a decent first half and be in the lead only to see it all disappear in a flood of incompetence in the third quarter.

• sidepull - Oct 21, 2015 at 7:30 AM

Amen to that. I thought McCoy as well. Basically whatever it takes to quit taking beat-downs in the 3rd and hold or advance a lead. Giving away games in a 16 game season in the 3rd while the team disintegrates is frustrating to watch. Pity as this year the NFC East is really wide open.

• Skulb - Oct 21, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Yes I agree. The only thing I would say to this is that the Redskins are in a process of rebuilding this team into a contender. And that is not a one year process but most likely will take 3-5 years, provided that Snyder doesn´t revert to his drastic ways in his now 20+ years search for instant gratification.
          Nothing is permanent here. Cousins is a placeholder. He could prove to be an option for the future but he hasn´t showed that yet. Gruden is a game manager of the team during the process. He could be gone as well, although that would be very disruptive and might even cancel this rebuilding process completely and move us back to square one, again. Everything is under evaluation.
          So keeping that in mind: yes it´s disappointing to surrender games when you are able to take the lead. But it is also to be expected given the circumstances. I take it as a positive that were even in the last two games in the first place.
          So in this light I think we should definitely be a little more experimental and that letting Cousins sit for a quarter now and then to watch the game would be a potential positive for everyone involved. But we do not need any more QB controversies right now and he should revert to being the starter immediately in the post game presser if we do this. There can be no hesitation there. You made a choice, now stick with it in the interest of stability and continuity from week to week.
          We all saw last year what can happen if you don´t think like this. Granted it started then because of an injury but the results were quite disastrous anyway.

• sidepull - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:25 AM

I am with you Skulb. I am number one, in 100% for stability. I am no genius but when I look around at GB, NE PITT I see systems, coaches, and even some players that are stable. The move some players in and out to keep their base system and culture intact. They seem to “know” what player works for their identity and team. The Redskins have been so far off the grid in the race to win they swing and miss , swing and miss. I just want them to stabilize, quit changing and caving to pressure. I mean look at Carolina. Rivera and Newton have been taking a beating at times, letting Steve Smith go, they could have flip flopped, but they have stuck it out, despite pressure and now they look to be getting some payback for the stability. Rivera is a good coach.

• hail74 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:49 AM

I’m with you guys too. I say stay the course for once in this owners life and let’s see what stability brings.

• berniebernard666 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Skulb….a rebuilding process does not take 5 years. Coaches have 2…MAYBE 3 years to rebuild into a winner or else get fired.

• Skulb - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM

But that doesn´t mean the process is done after three years. Players generally stay active for eight years+ so you have residual players in every case except when you have long termers like Belichick.
        Right now for example the Redskins is composed of a majority of Shanahan acquisitions. Not all of these players are a fit for Gruden´s system. To fully replace a team will take three drafts minimum, provided that the coach wants to do this.
        If you kick Gruden now his replacement will then have a mixture of Shanahan players and Gruden players. If he wants different kinds of players that will take another three years.
        I know the norm is to kick coaches quickly if they aren´t successful, and that has been the norm here for ages as well. I just don´t agree with it.

• berniebernard666 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:55 PM

ya know what? You don;’t just say you’re going to RUN THE BALL and then run it. If Gruden keeps telling everybody the game plan, then Defensive Coordinators are going to keep putting 9 men within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage. Maybe this is why our 1st down runs up the gut are going for 1-2 yards.

Here is an idea. If teams say you’re NOT going to run it, then how about THROWING the ball when there is an 8 man box. That is throwing the ball DOWNFIELD, and not within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage where all 11 defenders are stationed because they are expecting a run.

• Skulb - Oct 22, 2015 at 3:08 AM

I agree. But nobody has stepped up to make any plays on the few deep balls they have thrown. There needs to be some plays here or you´re sacrificing a first down for nothing and get stuck in second and ten and only running or shorts.
        This entire season would have been off to a completely different start if Jackson had caught the deep against Miami instead of injuring himself. They would then have called more deep balls, Cousins´ confidence throwing them would have improved and the deep balls would have been the perfect compliment to the running game.
        I´m not going to call it bad luck. But Ross has not been able to make any plays downfield in Jackson´s absence. Every time they fail down there they make it harder to call deep balls. That´s the problem.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I don’t think Ross has been experiencing bad luck. I think he fell back to earth like so many of us thought he would. The thing is, Ross is not a good receiver. He had a really great preseason, but that doesn’t make him a good receiver. Tons of guys on the bubble have good preseasons only to fizzle out when the real games start. It’s not even just the deep ball. What few opportunities he has had, he hasn’t done much with. Like, the ball hitting him right in the hands on a critical 3rd down and him dropping it. Had that been Roberts, everyone would be demanding he get cut immediately. Ross had been cut from teams 6 times for a reason, he’s not good. I can’t believe we took him over a 6’2 draft pick that could be helping big time on special teams and has the potential to develop into a physical receiver with a little length for this team.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 2:17 AM

Skulb, you’re right on with everything you’re saying here.

First, I didn’t expect to beat Atlanta either, but I thought we had a shot vs the Jets until the injury report came out. After that, I was shocked we stayed in the game as long as we did. I have to believe we are a better team than Tampa (top to bottom) and could beat them if we have certain key players back. Mainly Trent Williams, Chris Thompson, Culliver, and Reed. I would add Cory L in there but I don’t even think there’s a chance he comes back before the bye. Desean would be nice, but we’ve proven we can get by without him. I also almost think it might help the run game if Jones is out. We need to see what Morris can do if he’s allowed to take most of the reps and get going.

I couldn’t agree more about the stability though. We’re supposed to lose at least half, or more, the games this year. We’re rebuilding. But losses don’t mean progress isn’t happening. Cousins is a stop gap, but McCoy or RG3 probably would be too. My vote is for stability. We’re not supposed to be relying on Cousins to win. We’re supposed to rely on good defense, a good run game, and dynamic receivers making plays.
      I want patience with Gruden as well. He obviously wasn’t ready for the HC job last year. But I see a lot of growth with him this year, just, there’s still a lot more growing to do. That doesn’t mean he may not end up being a great HC someday though. Plus I love most of the staff he’s assembled and we risk losing them if we fire Gruden. This team has made tremendous strides in one year and I don’t think you can give all the credit to the GM. Scot can provide talent, but the coaches have to use them properly and develop the young guys. As well as decide who plays and who doesn’t.

That’s part of the run though. I’ve been a Gruden apologist this year but he HAS to fix these 3rd quarter issues or else there’s not much anyone can say to defend him. Now, I’m hoping this is part of his growing process and he figures it out soon. He better anyway.

But looking at the overall attitude and intensity from this team, as well as them staying in most games and not getting blown out, I think you have to credit Gruden for that. This could be a winning formula if he’s allowed to seeing out over the next couple seasons. He doesn’t have all the pieces though. So I get frustrated when people pile on him after every loss. Let’s see what happens after another draft (maybe involving a high round QB) and see where this team goes.

Side note, I think the best thing for this team would be Cousins showing enough progress that we could keep him as a game manager for a little longer. Then we wouldn’t be forced to draft a QB too high or one we’re not in love with. Then, even if we do take a QB in 2016, maybe we could keep him on the sidelines for a season or two and develop him until he’s actually ready. I think playing these young QBs before they’re actually ready has ruined multiple careers (RG3 included). It’s an advantage teams like Greenbay, Dallas, New England or Atlanta have. Anyone with an established franchise QB can develop the next guy and roll him out ready to go with minimal growing pains. If we just bite the Kirk Cousins bullet for a season or two, and exercise patience, maybe we could start that cycle as well.

• Skulb - Oct 22, 2015 at 3:04 AM

I agree. That´s why I have taken the job of online cheerleader for both Cousins and Gruden. I really want them to win at leat six games, preferably eight games. That way there´s a chance they can both stay on and continue the process with as little disruption as possible.
        If it´s 4-12 again Cousins at least is gone as the starter. if it´s 2-12 Gruden is gone as well, and that m,eans another reset and another three year process someone is not going to be able to finish. I´ve just had enough of it.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM

And I can’t believe everyone else hasn’t had enough of it! It’s insane. Pressing reset every couple years means we’re never going to get anywhere. We could at least get to be a consistent 8-8 team with an established QB before we fire Gruden so that hopefully we could attract a talented HC to come in and out the final touches on for a serious push. The GM can’t do it all guys, he doesn’t coach. It’s not as simple as “Fire Gruden and let Scot do his thing.”

• abanig - Oct 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM

It may not be as simple as scot fires Gruden and all is cured in the world but we do have to realize that Scot didn’t hire Gruden, scot didn’t draft Cousins or Griffin and Scot didn’t sign McCoy.

It is always the case that when a new GM comes in and his team can’t win with what they’ve been doing, he cleans house and gets his HC, his qbs and his players.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Abanig: I think that’s a very fair point. Especially about the QBs or players in general. I’m sure Scot would love to to draft his own QB or even work it some trade for a QB already in the league who he thinks has potential.

However, please remember, Gruden wasn’t part of the staff that drafted Cousins or RG3 either, and McCoy was just brought in for depth (he’s not a bad backup QB either). So, while Gruden picked Cousins out of these 3 guys, he didn’t go to the owner and GM in draft day and say, “I will win you championships with Kirk Cousins.” So, maybe Scot isn’t going to hold that against him. Especially because Scot is in record as liking Cousins in the 2012 draft and considered drafting him, depending on how things shook out. Scot also hasn’t had the best track record drafting QBs. He was, after all, a key player in the group that took Alex Smith over Aaron Rogers and the guy who Paid Matt Flynn a fat contract to be the guy in Seattle. My point is that maybe he understands messing up a QB evaluation.

Also though, maybe he likes Gruden. Just because he didn’t hire him doesn’t mean he can’t believe he is the guy. This team wasn’t even in the toilet when Gruden arrived, it was flushed. I’m sure Scot recognizes what Gruden inherited and how it was an impossible task to turn around quickly. I also have to believe that Scot believes in stability over change for change’s sake. This team has improved in year two under Gruden, tremendously, and there’s no guarantee that a new guy would do any better. That’s the simple truth of the situation. But I do know that teams who switch coaches every couple years don’t win championships. Patience seems to pay off in the long run. None of these guys got to where they are by mistake. Give them a fair shot and you might find out why. We all bash Snyder for not having patience, but look at what the fans do the second the team loses a game they were supposed to lose. It’s insane.

2. colorofmyskinz - Oct 21, 2015 at 6:20 AM

Well to get our running game going we will need more than Morris. Even Clinton Portis set it that Morris hits the wholes slow, and is not finding cutback lanes. Matt Jones is much better at this and I would much rather preferred to see him on the field for the majority of the snaps versus Morris. It is evident Morris just does not have the fire in his belly to create yards after first hit. He looks like a completely different running back this year. And I am not putting it all in system change. He has a much better line this year than any if the years in the past. He has lost it in my opinion. If jones is ready I would place Morris in street clothes and stick with jones. If he plays this game would be his last chance for me to hold a starting role.

Cousins stats are horrific. Worst in NFL as a starter now. How many more games will he get to prove himself? If he flops here, his career is done.

Pot roast needs to prove it, he is winded and overweight for a NT. Prove it time for him.

Riley, WTH? Omg. Was horrific. Almost rather see Compton.

Coaching? No halftime adjustment here and we lose to bucks?? I would start clearing house right now, why wait. Time for Scot to show scrutney.

Gruden was right, code red for many on this team including himself. This game is truly the turning point for this team. If they win they have a shot to repair injuries with bye. If they lose, they will for sure go on a MASSIVE losing streak. Could lose every game for the remainder of this year if they lose this game. We have seen it many times.

CODE RED!

• SkinsSwagger15 - Oct 21, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Why do ppl keep blaming Morris??We have no passing threat so defenses can just stack the box, no one is getting any rushing yards of you notice. Ppl saying bench Morris like he’s not getting hit in the backfield every other play. Bench cousins, at least colt and rg3 have the option to run or pass so defenses have to play honest

• Skulb - Oct 21, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Ah yes, the tradition recipe for Redskins disaster pie. YUMM!

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 21, 2015 at 7:17 AM

It is not like we were a passing threat the last 3 years… I can count the number of games DJax has played on 2 hands. So last year we were passing dominate and that’s why he has so many yards? Not buying it. He looks like a different back. Lost. Hitting hokes slow. And what happened to his mainstay of yards after first hit? That does not exist anymore. He looks like a paper towel on first hit now.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 21, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Remember when Morris always used to make the first guy miss? Have you seen that this year? Did you see it much last year?

• greed - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:59 AM

good point rich but whats the deal with phasing out d young one the best blocking and all around FB in the leauge, he only played in six snaps on O and 2 were pass plays ,clearly morris is comfortable with a lead blocker , isnt that a case where a coach refusing to adapt his philosophy to the strengths of his team- also i keep hearing gruden saying he want kirk to work thru his problems well when does this stop being about whats best for kirk but about whats best for the other 52 players and the redskins?

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 2:24 AM

It is sad to see what’s going on with Morris, but I’m not seeing a whole lot from Jones or Thompson (out of the backfield) the past couple games either.

I also have to wonder if Morris would be doing better with more consistent reps. I’m not saying he would be doing better, but he always seemed like the kind of RB who needed a handful of carries before he really got going. Like the guy in high school who had to get punched in the mouth before he could get angry and really fight back. This could be wishful thinking, but I would like to see this play out and at least see what happens.

• abanig - Oct 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM

I don’t remember Morris making too many people miss, I remember him breaking tackles on zone running plays.

We’ll call it not having the other guys starting at qb who’s a threat to run also effect. Morris’ ypc average w/o that guy are vastly improved, even when that guy plays like he did vs Tampa Bay & San Fran last year.

Where Morris averaged 4.8 & 6 yds

• hail74 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:46 AM

I agree that’s it’s not just Morris tho he is a big part of it. The way to beat the skins for the past 3 years is load the box and make the QB, no matter who it was, beat you.

• skinsgame - Oct 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM

Half time adjustments? Is this 1986?

• greed - Oct 21, 2015 at 8:20 AM

yes halftime adjustments / ingame adjustment skins seem to be only team that doesnt practice this strategy

• abanig - Oct 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Boom! Mike drop

3. skinsgame - Oct 21, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Looks like Desean Jackson might miss yet another week to recover from getting that ovarian cyst removed.

• greed - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM

ovarian cyst lmao- good one bro !

4. greed - Oct 21, 2015 at 8:24 AM

wow so kirk has the same stats as a rookie qb ! Lol but gruden said cousins greatly improved over the offseason and training camp in evey aspect of the game. Hope theres no wind in fedex sun

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 2:22 AM

Winston was a first overall pick and Cousins was a 4th rounder. Cousins was essentially drafted as a backup. Not trying to make excuses for the guy, but it’s kind of to be expected that his growth would be slower or peak at a much lower level than Winston’s.

Cousins is a temporary stop gap because we have no better options. That’s the thing, nobody is happy with his play but he’s our current best option. So, I don’t really understand the Cousins complains. Didn’t we all expect this? The thing is, plug in McCoy or RG3 and I’m willing to bet the results are the same or worse. Gruden believes that anyway, so why would he make a switch? Change for change’s sake isn’t a great idea in my opinion.

5. mauriceatwood - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM

If there is a coaching staff that can blow a game that should be a win it’s the Redskins coaching staff. They blew it last year as well and blamed RG3 for the loss. If the Skins lose this game with the worst ranked QB in the league then our beloved Skins will become the laughing stock of the league yet again, which is really sad considering there is some legit talent on this team.

• sidepull - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM

The Tampa Bay game last year was a discredit to the game of football. I dont know what that was called. I hope I never see that again.

• berniebernard666 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM

and who was the QB in that game last year????

• greed - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:45 AM

become the laughing stock ! They were the laughing stock before the season started , the benching of rg after naming him the starter and then saying he was progressing well during the offseason and training camp , leaving him in a preason game after he was getting beat down behind a second string o-line, gruden saying a nuerologist cleared rg to play then less than 24 hrs say he not cleared , then the dr. Resigns then to top it off to blame the wind and pressure on interceptions ! He even has cousins believing his B.S. saying the second int was like a punt on 3rd down when you loosing by 2 scores ! Then kirk says his int arent as bad as lastyears int’s LMAO! This coach has fueled this comedy show!

• hail74 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Well RG3 did throw 2 picks in that game last year and like you guys point out, picks lose games. Yes poor Griffey was left to play a half against Detroit without Trent and got beat down, yet cousins played a whole game against the best D in the league without 3 starters on that line and got hit what, once? Yes the doctor messed up verbally clearing RG3 then changing his diagnosis after further review but that’s on Gruden too? Oh and Kubiak blamed manning so performance here in Cleveland Sunday on guess what, WIND! You want to blame someone for the state of the skins fine, but open your eyes to see everything not just what fits your narrative

• greed - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM

jax and texans played in a game when the wind was blowing 18 mph and threw for a combine 600 yrds -my point gruden and his ego and his comments/actions has fueled the comedy show if u cant understand that narrative clearly he has you brainwashed too

• hail74 - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM

The point wasn’t about the wind, it was about the coach. Maybe, just maybe Gruden learned that in year 2 he should choose his words more carefully. Maybe he knows that you can’t treat everyone the same so that while a dalton or a Griffen require criticism, a cousins requires confidence. The comedy show was the past 3 years of “leaks” to the media. That’s gone now. Yes losing sucks but your not seeing the forest because of the trees.

• bangkokben - Oct 21, 2015 at 11:26 AM

The local media has been all over the airways “defending” Gruden. They’re saying that Gruden was super positive about Griffin since naming him the starter in February and basically have said that Gruden exaggerated Griffin’s progress as part of that saying positive things approach. They have also cited what Gruden has said this year about the injured Jackson as evidence to this change since Gruden eviscerated Griffin last year. This has been seen as a lesson learned.because privately the coach has been frustrated by these events.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 2:32 AM

Oh and Hail, I agree with what you’re saying. I too think Gruden learned some lessons from last year and is trying to do better.

It’s funny that people criticized him for the way he handled RG3 last year but are now criticizing him for not doing the exact same thing all over. As if they wouldn’t rather him consistently make mistakes instead of grow.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 2:30 AM

To be fair, It’s a very different coaching staff than last year. We will see what happens. This is a must win game in my opinion. Hopefully we get enough players back from injury to have a real shot.

6. bangkokben - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Should I put Doug Martin on my FanDuel team?

Might as well make some money off our misery or it might put the kibosh on his success. Bottom line: stop the run and find a way to run the ball.

7. abanig - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM

I have a bad feeling about this game. We suck against rookie qbs and bet journeyman, ok we suck against just about all qbs. Once in a blue moon we’ll have a good day like vs the Falcons or Rams.

I think it’s another Mr. T prediction for the Redskins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E&sns=tw via youtube

• bangkokben - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:34 AM

I’m going to put that history on Haslet. Let’s see how Barry does. Bahaud Breeland should get a turnover. As good as the Bucs defense has been they are still giving up nearly 30 points a game.

• Johnny B. - Oct 21, 2015 at 3:24 PM

I think Breeland will have a big day. I also think that we should Fire Gruden and give K. Shanahan his first Head coach gig and get this team winning.

• abanig - Oct 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM

No way Kyle comes back or that anyone in the building would hire him. Kyle’s a good X & O guy but he’s poor at communication and with relationships IMO. At least that’s what happened here with two of our qbs, the only one that he got along with was Rex, the guy he kept employed for 5/6 years when he wasn’t really only anyone else’s radar.

• bangkokben - Oct 22, 2015 at 7:39 AM

Well why don’t we bring back Chris Chester and Leonard Hankerson while we’re at it?

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Probably because they’re under contract in Atlanta? At least first and foremost. I never really understood why we got rid of Hankerson anyway. Wouldn’t it be nice to have some length at WR right now?

• bangkokben - Oct 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM

I was sarcastically responding to the suggestion of bringing back Kyle S to coach next year. (both are available to follow little shanny)

My real point is that any new coach will need his guys for his system and our GM is putting in guys that don’t fit Kyle’s system.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 23, 2015 at 1:17 AM

Yeah, sorry Bang. I read that right when I first woke up and my brain obviously wasn’t quite working when I responded. It’s very obvious you were being sarcastic. My bad

• Trey Gregory - Oct 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Abanig: Where did you hear that? Cousins has given multiple interviews about how he adores Kyle and how he helped him tremendously. That’s not really an “in my opinion” kind of answer. You were either there and you know it to be true, or you heard it from someone else. And from everything I’ve heard, the QBs got along with Kyke just fine.

That’s not me saying we should make him a HC though. Maybe that’s in his future someday, but I seriously doubt he’s ready for it right now.

Johnny: being a good offensive coordinator doesn’t mean you’re good HC material. The two jobs are drastically different. I think, if nothing else, Gruden proved that.

If we fire Gruden (and I think that would be a mistake) I don’t want another first time head coach. I want an established guy who we know can do this rebuild properly. But good luck getting a guy like that when the team and fan base turn on coaches the second things get a little rough. Firing coaches every couple years is not a good way to attract top talent to your team. But thanks, this was a good insight into why the “fire Gruden” crowd really shouldn’t be taken seriously, about anything

• berniebernard666 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:49 PM

since we are getting all touchy feely with feelings…..not to worry because I have a good feeling about this game.

8. kenlinkins - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM

IMO the stats on sacking Cousins and the poor rushing the last two weeks are misleading. Both the Jets and Falcons set their Front Seven to stop the run first and not “press” the pass rush” in order to “allow / force” Cousins into the short / mid level passing game. While the “sack” numbers look better the truth is that’s what the Jets and Falcon wanted. Both teams used the “Off Target” Cousins to their benefit. If the Buc’s try to force the pass rush then Morris and Jones will have a field day and it will open up play action for Cousin’s, but if the Buc’s do what the Jets and Falcon did before them the Redskins will have a hard time winning this Sunday. Cousins must prove he can be “On Target” when allowed time to throw and push the ball down the field. I am not sure he can do it.

• bangkokben - Oct 21, 2015 at 10:56 AM

The Jets did all sorts of stuff to apply pressure. Sure, they were focused on stopping the run first but Cousins isn’t sitting back there throwing interceptions without any pressure. The pick 6 against the Falcons being obvious. The pick to Revis came when he was late on his second read and instead of eating it he threw even he knew he shouldn’t have resulting in the diving interception instead of the pick 6. Cousins get’s the ball out quickly. His problem is that he has VERY little ability to improvise. He’s going to make his progressions rather quickly and unfortunately when he gets to the end of the script he’s often going to force his throw to his last read instead of just throwing the ball away – when pressured – or scrambling which he has the physical ability.

Notice the check downs when he is faced with pressure compared to when there isn’t pressure. When he feels pressure these passes are somewhat accurate resulting in negative plays – the most common result is a catch and a couple yard loss. But there are times when he isn’t feeling the pressure and he deliberately throws at the check down’s feet for an incompletion avoiding a negative play. Lastly, he has a good internal clock and sometimes senses the pressure to get rid of the ball due to the timing of the play and not the actual pass rush. This may be what you are referring to and in this case his play is similar to where there is actual pressure.

However, Cousins is always going to be a guy who gets rid of the ball.quickly, The “lack” of sacks against the Falcons and Jets have been consistent to every game Cousins has ever played in B&G.

9. berniebernard666 - Oct 21, 2015 at 9:46 PM

JOB OPENING: All applicants to fill the inside linebacker opening with the Washington Redskins please apply in person via the 2016 NFL COLLEGE DRAFT. Skill set needed: ability to maintain gap control, ability to recognize various run schemes, ability to make SURE tackles, and cover running backs on 5 yard dump off passes in the middle of the field. Please submit resumes to Scott McCloughin via Redskins Park, Ashburn, VA.

10. John - Oct 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Time to stop all the screeching, calling for Gruden and Cousins heads. This tram wasn’t and still won’t get far this year. They don’t have the depth. When starters go down, the backups are not good enough and the injuries have been piling up for a while. How is Jay supposed to win without the horses. Lay off Cousins. He has shown growth. He will only get better by playing consistently. Having Jackson back would open the field upfor the offense . Ross has speed but is not Jackson. The running game needs to get going again for balance. Going quarterbacks don’t do well, when they have to throw a lot. In regards to Cousins, he’s not Brady or Manning but is not horrible. He needs to aim less on short throws and throw some away and run more. If you think Cousins is bad, RG3 would be a disaster. They are not giving back to a read option as RG3 sees himself as a complete quarterback. To much early success gone to his head and has not grown since. Cousins has grown and will continue to grow. It takes most quarterbacks a couple years of consistent playing time to get comfortable, where the game slows down for them. For those that say that Cousins has had enough time remember he played less than 2 games in 2012, 3-4 games in 2013 after most of the team had all ready given up, then was so so last year in 6 games. Some will say that he is checking down all the time. This is a west coast offense, short passes thrown in rhythm to receivers who gain yards after the catch. The short passing game picks up yards, when the running game falters. Unfortunately, when you don’t run well and you lose some of your best weapons and then your better linemen are out it makes for tough sledding. The defense and special teams need to up their games, helping the offense with better field position. Having to go 80 yards in 10 to 15 plays every series is a serious challenge. If your Brady or Manning, even for them, it would be asking a lot.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 23, 2015 at 8:29 PM

John: it’s like you tapped into my brain and took the words right from me. You couldn’t be more correct with everything you said.

I would also add that Ross has speed, but isn’t Deseas, oh and just so happens to not be a good receiver either. I know everyone fell in love with him playing against 3rd string defenses, but watch him play. The guy is not good and defenses are not threatened by him.

• abanig - Oct 24, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Anyone who doesn’t think that Bill Calkahan couldn’t take over this team and we’d be better prepared is a fool

• Rich Tandler - Oct 24, 2015 at 10:05 AM

Yeah, because he’s done so well at his other head coaching stops.

• abanig - Oct 24, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Super bowl! The only reason they lost is because Jon Gruden knew Rich Gannon better than any coach in the NFL.

You can’t honestly think Jay Gruden is a better teacher, motivator an coach than Bill Callahan.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 24, 2015 at 10:34 AM

And that Raiders team instantly and permanently disappeared.

• abanig - Oct 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Yeah because their players were old and retired.

That happens to teams all the time, it happened to the 49ers, Redskins, Cowboys, Steelers, etc, etc.

We all know it takes 3-4 years to build a championship contender it’s too bad for them that Russell self destructed.

Take the skins of today, it’s a shame Griffin got hurt, it’s a shame he wasn’t sat down and protected by his coach and it’s a shame they won’t give him the years he needs to develop into a pocket passer.

We already know he has “it” he showed he has the it factor in 2012. Griffin isn’t scared of the big moment and isn’t affraid to fail or take a hit. You cant say that “currently” of the current starter.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 25, 2015 at 2:13 AM

@Abanig: You know, I remember when you were sounding the alarm that cutting Forbath was a huge mistake too. Maybe don’t be SO overly confident in your opinion that you call people a fool, as if you’re always right.

Because I’m not a fool. Callahan really never proved to be anything but a sub-par head coach in the NFL. Every Raiders fan I talk to hates him and blames him for taking a good group and driving them into the toilet (I admit, that’s more anecdotal than empirical). But most seem to agree he took a good team built by John Gruden and Barry Switzered them to a super bowl. They went downhill REALLY fast after that. He also hasn’t gotten any attention for a HC position in recent years. That should tell you something.

He’s a great Oline coach, but that doesn’t mean he would be a good HC. Some guys just aren’t meant to be at the top. I think he’s perfectly happy doing what he’s truly great at and staying there anyway.

But again, I’m no fool. Change for change’s sake isn’t a good idea. What did you really expect from this team? They have a handful of good starters and a few mediocre ones with zero depth. This isn’t a good roster. What do you really expect from Gruden? How many coaches not named Bill Belichick do you really think could get this team to 8-8? Don’t kid yourself either, it’s not a very good roster.

The team has made huge strides in one year and that isn’t all on the GM. Gruden is doing something right. I agree he wasn’t ready for the job, but he’s here now and stability helps. He’s learning how to do his job better and I believe he will continue to improve. But getting a new coach every two years with a new staff and a new system is not a recipe for success. Gruden is more than capable of leading this team through a rebuild the next couple years and getting us to be a regular 500 or above team. Then, once the roster is better and we’ve proven we’re a more stable franchise, then maybe we shop for a new HC. Because then maybe the talented coaches will actually want to come here. Because it’s not exactly a desirable position right now.

The franchises in the playoffs year after year have stability and patience. There’s a few other things too but they absolutely have those two things. Why on earth would you call someone a fool for wanting stability? You also don’t know the history of the NFL very well if you think every coach who is now considered great all got off to hot starts.

• Trey Gregory - Oct 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM

So Abanig, you’re argument is that we should take it easy on Callahan because the team that Gruden assembled for him disintegrated, and then he wasn’t good anymore?

As in, once he didn’t have a great roster he wasn’t a good coach. Sounds a lot like the situation that Gruden is in. Except Callahan never did anything to get the momentum back, that team never improved. As bad as Washington has been this year, they have improved from last year. You also can’t just point to the QB situations on both teams and say that’s why.