Oct 19, 2015, 6:50 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, October 19, six days before the Washington Redskins host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
News, notes, and numbers on Jets 34, Redskins 20
—Bashaud Breeland recovered two fumbles and intercepted a pass against the Jets. He became the second player to do that this season, along the Darrelle Revis of the Jets. Breeland is the first Redskins player do to so since at least the 2000 season.
—The Redskins turned Breeland’s first takeaway, a fumble recovery at the Jets’37-yard line. It was the first time the Redskins had scored a touchdown in the series immediately following a turnover in 29 opportunities to do so. That came on December 22, 2013 against the Cowboys when they drove 33 yards for a touchdown after Josh Wilson recovered a fumble.
—In the fourth quarter Jeron Johnson blocked a punt in the end zone and Rashad Ross fell on it in the end zone for a touchdown. It was Ross’ second special teams TD of the year, the first coming in the same end zone of the same stadium in Week 3 against the Giants when he returned a kickoff 101 yards for a touchdown.
—It was the Redskins’ first blocked punt since Vernon Fox got one on December 24, 2006.
—Ross scored the Redskins’ first touchdown on a blocked punt since Walt Harris scored one against the Lions in 2004. That’s a span of 174 games.
—Dustin Hopkins’ 54-yard field goal in the second quarter was a career long (sample size alert, his career is only five games old). It was his second one of over 50 yards in two weeks. Hopkins hit one from 52 yards last week in Atlanta to tie the game at the end of regulation.
—Today’s schedule: Jay Gruden news conference 3:00 p.m.
—Days until: Bucs @ Redskins 6; Redskins @ Patriots 20
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins injury report: Cravens good to go
- Redskins place first-round rookie WR Josh Doctson on injured reserve
- Redskins Jay Gruden makes it official: Jordan Reed out against Detroit
- Andre Roberts has actually been productive for the Lions this season
- Barry: Fuller very 'football mature', credits Virginia Tech
- WWE wrestler does Josh Norman's bow & arrow celebration in the ring
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain