Need to Know: Notes and numbers from Redskins 23, Eagles 20

Oct 5, 2015, 5:38 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Monday, October 5, six days before the Washington Redskins play .

Notes and numbers from Redskins 23, Eagles 20

—Kirk Cousins had a career high 31 completions in this game. That was the most any Redskins quarterback has ever completed against the Eagles in the 161 games the two teams have played.

—Cousins threw 46 passes without an interception. Since 1989, only two Redskins QBs have thrown 46 or more passes in a game without throwing a pick. The Redskins lost the those games with Colt McCoy (vs. Colts last year, 47 attempts) and Mark Brunell (vs. Broncos 2005, 53 attempts).

—Dustin Hopkins is now six for six on field goal tries after hitting all three of his attempts against Philadelphia.

—Chris Baker registered two sacks, the first multi-sack game of his career. His season total of 2.5 sacks is a career high.

—Cousins and Rashad Ross hooked up on a 43-yard pass play, the Redskins’ longest play of the season.

—After rushing for 127 yards on 32 carries against the Eagles, the Redskins are now on pace to rush 504 times this season for 2,232 yards.

Today’s schedule: Jay Gruden news conference 3:00

Days until: Redskins @ Falcons 6; Redskins @ Jets 13; Bucs @ Redskins 20

138 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. colorofmyskinz - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:24 AM

What a great team win this was!!! And with many starters out. Our front 7 on defense allows anyone to play in the back 4. Culliver should have sat this game out. He was noticeably affected on the field and gave up 2 big plays. They need to let him heal.

Cousins off the charts win! He needed that to silence the critics. The RGIII mobsters and KIRK critics should easily see the difference now. The biggest difference being his ability to see and read defense and make adjustments on the line. RGIII absolutely does not have that skill. Cousins was accurate and strong. RGIII woukd have taken at least 3 sacks in this game. You can see how well cousins moves in the pocket, another skill RGIII does not have. Who wants RGIII to start over cousins?? I thought so.

Hoskins is awesome and was the right pick over Hocker. Nice call by SCOT and Kotwica. Yes giving Kotwica credit here. Although, our punt coverage remains horrible. Got to fix that.

Penalties almost cost us the game. One drive the penalties account for the entire eagles drive. Running game a bit weak. MORRIS looked slow mo until the last drive. He needs to step it up more. Jones did not have a great game either. Thompson showed up!

The real unsung hero – Trent Murphy for pinning his ears back at the end of the game and causing 2 sacks and taking a heads up turnover. He was plugged in and was not giving anything away on those 4 plays. Total wrecking ball and deserves major credit for protecting the win.

Great team win!! We have a team and a chance to win this division!!

2. weneedlinemen42 - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:25 AM

No turnovers, but he launched a couple of those errant throws into the secondary again, as he does every game.

This time they landed in empty space but not by Cousins’s design. The ball got away from him.

He was good on that final drive and had no interceptions on the day but those wild throws were still there.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Other than one pass early, I’m not sure what you’re talking about but there is no way to fix that. He’s basically Randy Johnson early in his career where one pitch is going to hit the backstop no matter what.

First drink for the crowd drinking on comments that indicate we won the game despite Cousins.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:51 AM

1st drink

• hail74 - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Haha I see what your doing there

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I guess no criticism is allowed for Cousins? What’s next bang spin the bottle?

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Sure. And you can criticize your birthday presents, Christmas cards, when someone bakes you a cake, holds a door for you, remind you when your fly is down. Whatever the circumstance. Have at it. It’s your life. Do I think you would bring that if #10 was quarterbacking yesterday’s game? I don’t really have to answer that, do i?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Continue on with the child games. Now you want to bring RG3 up AGAIN. Now you want to put words in other mouths AGAIN. The team won with class yesterday. You should try doing the same as a fan and stop worrying about RG3 who isn’t even on the field.

• colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Everyone entitled to an opinion gd/bad

However I suspect cousins takes more flak last wk than praise he will get for yesterday

Not a lot he can b criticised for yesterday I would say although he certainly thinks there was

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:32 AM

I thought it was his best game so far this season. The final drive assure him of that credit. I was right over top the play where Garcon made the clutch catch. Cousins throw was also clutch. This game was closer to how I expected him to play this season. The team now has Crowder in the mix, Jackson coming back, and hopefully Reed makes a quick recovery. This will give Cousins the whole field to work with against defenses. We have yet seen the best this offense can provide.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Whatever. Why would Cousins criticism be necessary after a Cousins-led victory? It is all construed to diminish the team’s victory? Why? You and I both know why. Not everything that is a response to what you just wrote is solely a response to just what you wrote but in the context of everyone who posts on here. So you didn’t mention #10. I DID because I see no other reason for those trying to find fault in Kirk’s game. Is anyone saying Kirk is a franchise QB or we found our answer at QB? No. Yet there are a handful of reminders that this kind of performance needs to carry forward. No problem. Agreed. But to try to diminish the team’s victory because the Eagles are 1-3 is ludicrous.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM

“Whatever. Why would Cousins criticism be necessary after a Cousins-led victory?”

Criticism is not reserved to losses or bad games. I used to criticize RG3 in 2012 about what I thought he needed to so better even after big wins. I’ll probably do the same about Cousins once I watch the game from coaches view on However, criticism has nothing to do with talking down about the player or person.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:46 AM

That is fine. But timing is the key. Even if you agree with the President’s take on gun control, you’d have to say the timing of his remarks are insensitive. They same goes for criticizing the QB that led the victory. Was he perfect? No. But bringing up his handful of faults is ‘Presidential.’

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM

“It is all construed to diminish the team’s victory? Why? ”

The ones calling the Eagles bad I don’t agree with at all. The Eagles are a good team that has had a bad start. However, they were close to beating our next opponent that happens to be undefeated.

I guess what annoys me is that before comments are made; there are ones here already anticipating about what comments WILL be made about Cousins. I mean defending Cousins before a comment is made about him is nonsensical. It seems you and some others what a battle between Cousins supporters and detractors. I criticize Cousins and then I’m called a detractor when in fact I’m a supporter of him. I supported both RG3 and Cousins being drafted. I stated both are capable NFL starters. I supported both when they started for this team but it won’t stop me from being critical of the players.

I get there are some fans here that just want this certain players off the team. That call said guy hopeless, can’t be fixed, a bust, get rid of him, etc. Yes, those guys are haters but most of those statements are about the player not even starting right now.

3. colorofmyskinz - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:29 AM

Great team win!! My other post got lost. Cousins looked great in all aspects of being a quarterback! Reading the defense make an adjustment on the line moving well in the pocket. RGIII would’ve taken three sacks in this game and it would’ve been a completely different outcome.

Pennell do you still continues to be our problem and punt coverage.

Hoskins looks great and ends up being better than Hocker. Great call by Scot and Kotwica. Yes giving him credit. Still needs to clean up punt coverage. He changed punt formation thank god, protected punts better.

Trent Murphy was the true unsung hero. He pinned his ears back and made the tough plays and was not going to give that win away. That is what we need to see every game every quarter. He was a complete and utter wrecking ball on that last drive for the Eagles.

Great team win!! We have a chance to win this division!!

4. colorofmyskinz - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:35 AM

Looks like my other color of my skin’s has been blocked or not working.

Oh well great team win cousins was awesome Trent Murphy was awesome Hoskins pulled through what a great team win.

Cousin showed boys read the defense well made adjustments on the line moves swiftly in the pocket RG3 would’ve taken three sacks minimum.

Great win!

• ericstylezz - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:49 AM

Stop making uneducated guesses about players who don’t even get in the game. Why not work for the NFL since you’ve cracked the code on how to avoid sacks, guy on the internet.

• skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Uneducated guesses? You think he’s never seen Griffin “scramble” before, Eric Stylez with a z? Does Julia know you’ve commandeered her name?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Exactly uneducated guess. Just petty to even bring RG3 into one of Cousins better games. The dude is just a hater of the person just like you.

• skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM

Hater? Because Griffin can’t evade a pass rush? You’re stuff is tired, skinsington. You’re slipping.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:51 PM

The only thing that has gone tired is the continued hate on guy that is not even on the field. Most bringing it up are the ones that have come Cousins Fetish. Anyway it’s julia stiles not julia styles so even you jokes are not accurate.

• skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Oh wow. I didn’t realize you were the defender of every Jimmy here. Read down a couple posts where he was inviting a more “Manly” banter and then he disappeared. And then you appeared accusing fans of “hating” Bob. Again.

5. sidepull - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:38 AM

Reminiscent game of the Cardiac Redskins. Great win in the waning seconds. No negativity from me. I hate the Egirls and Philly is a mess this morning. Thanks Redskins.

• sidepull - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:42 AM

I also liked how we got the speed on the field, Thompson, Ross, Crowder…Its a nice change up but Garcon is clutch.

6. skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:03 AM

Reeds injury is going to really hurt them. He is Cousins go to guy and was obviously having a big season. 2nd concussion in 3 years makes me wonder if they cut his season off right now.

• sidepull - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Yea Reed getting injured, you know it was going to happen it was just a matter of when. Too bad for the Redskins because they need any kind of mismatch they can create playing the Falcons. Maybe somebody steps up big in another part of the Redskins Offense or Defense. Do we get Djax back? That could help. If Culliver does not get better quick, that’s going to hurt. Jones is looking unstoppable right now and lo and behold, Hankerson looks like a starting WR.

• skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Run game, run game, run game. And run game.

• sidepull - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM

God I love smashmouth football.. Agree running helps keep them from looking at the bottom of Jones cleats.

7. mr.moneylover - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM

I still dont trust kirk cousins hes been up and down all season he needs to have a good game against the falcons so more fans can come and support him at FedEx field

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:51 AM

2nd drink.

• hcicron - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:56 AM

I like this game but you’ll be drunk before noon today.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Jay gruden gotta get his message across after halftime to not let up if they shut out a team in the first half…our defense plays well when they are well rested but if offense struggles then the defense is gonna struggles

8. skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:49 AM

They ran several plays from different formations that were interesting. Bunch formations with a receiver split out to the opposite side. I hadn’t noticed much of that before.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:14 AM

They threw the ball deep a few times and it open up things they didnt attempt to throw the ball deep against the giants and that made things very difficult and we struggle…even if its a incomplete it gives a defense something to think about

9. ericstylezz - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:52 AM

The bad part is that now when we win or lose ppl have to give their annoying take on what Cousins did vs what RG would have done. We barely even talk sh*t to actual opposing teams anymore its all internal and emotional and un-manly

• mr.moneylover - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Its just safe to say dont get high on what kirk cousins did yesterday because its very possible he go lay a egg next week @ the falcons

10. bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Those first three bullet points appear to be targeting abanig’s constant gripes. Just saying. Coincidence?

As predicted last night the Cousin detractors will have ‘valid’ points to post today and I’m drinking to them.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Drink drank drunk before noon, ben?

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Being the work week, I started with Espresso shots. Might have to switch to the real stuff due to the tachycardia. Also should stop reading comments altogether if I’m driving.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I’m happy we won. I’m happy Cousins inserted My foot in my mouth.

I also realize it’s one game. Kirk has to continue to play as well as he did yesterday or better if this team is going anywhere with him as their qb.

I also realize that Hopkins has yet to have to attend a pressure kick with the game on the line. I like his strong leg and I like his accuracy so far but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. He’s yet to attempt a 50 something yard kick. The kicks everyone got on Kai for not being able to make, which wasn’t true anyways and he’s yet to have to attempt a kick with the game on the line.

We all saw Hocker miss the potential game winning kick last night, whew! I’m glad we don’t have that guy!

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Mostly true.

• Skulb - Oct 6, 2015 at 2:16 AM

He actually doesn´t have to do that. This is his first season as a starter and there are about a million different situations that can happen in these games he has to experience. He has exactly 16 games to work with and if the management thinks there´s something to work with after that he signs a new deal or they franchise him next season. If they don´t he will get cut or sign a backup deal behind a new QB.
        If fans can´t understand that a QB needs more than four consecutive starts to get comfortable in a system then they are morons and their opinion counts for nothing.

• abanig - Oct 6, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Interesting take considering your view on other qbs on the roster.

I smell a double standard

• Skulb - Oct 6, 2015 at 12:15 PM

We have been all over this endlessly. The only double standard here is from you and the Cult. Griffin got all of 2012, 2013 and 2014 and could neither play well enough or stay healthy.

So on your side of the double standard, 3 years, on my side of the double standard four games into the 2015 season before the Cult decides to demand the return of the Messiah, who btw had more INTs last year than he did TDs. Woops, that sounds like someo0ne else you refuse to give a fair shot at proving he can do the job.

But that can´t be. We all know how you loathe double standards.

• abanig - Oct 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM

I’m sorry, but you have your facts wrong.

Griffin was the starter in 2012 and remained the starter even after his injury.

In 2013 Griffin was NOT allowed to play all 16 games because the HC was mad at the owner and mad that the owner wanted to see the 2nd overall pick in the 2012 draft play an entire season. Every idiot should know that if Griffin has played vs Atl’s, Dallas’ & the NYG’s horrible defenses to end the year that he would have looked better than he had against the Chiefs good defense on a very sloppy field. That opportunity was given to cousins to play those final three games in hopes that in Shanahan’s own words “that Kirk would bring the Redskins back a 1st round pick.”

How’d that work out?

Oh, I’ll tell you. Kirk went out and played average against the Falcons and below average in the last two games and to my knowledge the Redskins never got a 1st round pick for Kirk Cousins because he wasn’t good enough to receive one for them.

In 2014 Griffin was the starer for two games. He got hurt. He missed two months. He came back and was up and down – mostly because he had missed two months of playing time. He was benched for three games and then returned to play in the Giants game after McCoy was hurt again. Griffin played about average in the final three games of the season and the Redskins won against Philly.

This past offseason most people who were covering practices said they saw improvement in Griffin and that both Cousins and McCoy looked about the same as they did last year.

Griffin gets to play two quarters in the preseason and has a concussion. He then loses his job to Kirk Cousins because he got hurt.

So please tell me where in 2013, 2014 or 2015 that Griffin got to start every game that he was healthy enough to play?

I’m sorry, but if you’re saying Cousins should get to play all 16 games even if he plays poorly in a few games in a row and that Griffin was afforded that same opportunity by this franchise, YOU’RE WRONG!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 6, 2015 at 11:35 AM

You can smell it, hear it, and trip over that double standard

• Skulb - Oct 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Yes indeed. Your double standard, which you can´t even see. Read above for details. i can´t even take you seriously enough to be bothered writing any more sentences.

You can´t read anyway.

• abanig - Oct 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM

My thoughts exactly but I do have to say I’m happy Kirk is playing well and the team is .500. That’s a good sign.

I’ve always said I don’t care which one of the 3 starts, I think they’re all deserving and I’ll root for whomever starts to play well because I want the team to win.

I definitely think there is a bit of a double standard going on though when the media or fans say one qb deserves to get an entire season to prove himself no matter if he has a bad game or not and the other two qbs weren’t afforded that same opportunity last year and Griffin hasn’t been afforded the opportunity to start all 16 games and improve throughout the season since his rookie season in 2012.

11. warpath1 - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:20 AM

It’s hard to believe we still have (after a win) people complaining about who the QB is. First time in a while we’ve seen a last minutes game winning drive. But at least we pointed out two errant throws. I guess good QBs like Rogers and Brady never have a ball hit the ground. Ridiculous. HTTR

• goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM

There are a lot of Robert Griffin III fans in here that would give anything to see Cousins perform bad. When Cousins performs well it makes Rob look more and more obsolete. Some fans in here can not take the fact that Robert is riding the bench 3rd string.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Why do you have to bring up Robert? :)

No one talks about the elephant in the room, unless JD says it’s ok.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Yes! Why cheer that fact that the Redskins organization once again failed on a high draft pick? And this time multiple because they traded up to get him.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM

I agree with: “It’s still sad that it didn’t work out with Griffin as the long term answer, no matter if your a fan of Robert or not.”

But I’m not cheering for: “the Redskins organization once again failed on a high draft pick”

I’m sure there are some who are, but that’s stupid. What further implements the Redskins in the trade is not capitalizing on their 2nd round picks. Maybe Murphy has turned the corner. I’m hoping he has.

• skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Like Cousins, Murphy turned in a good game. I’m hesistant to talk about him turning a corner. Hopeful, but hesitant.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM

I think with players like Murphy and even Cousins, we have to realize that they are still developing. Yes, Cousins is 27, but in games played in the NFL, he’s still a rookie.

Murphy is most definitely still developing, as is Preston Smith.

I thought Will Compton played a nice game yesterday. He had a few nice open field tackles, including a big one on Darren Sproles in the 4th quarter.

• Skulb - Oct 6, 2015 at 2:19 AM

I was actually called a racist on CSN when I said that Cousins needed time to develop a month ago. The amount of weirdos supporting this team is amazing.

12. greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:27 AM

first good win skins you showed some heart …. But lets pump the brakes you barely beat a bad bad team who o-line is terrible and missing two starters one who is a pro bowl player the eqvialent of us missing big trent – 2 they were missing starting linebacker and the run game was ok but not very good and to top it off they were without both starting corners and we bumbled and stumbled thru the game kirk once again was erratic and definitely benefited from eagles porrous secondary who best player was e j biggers! So lets not loose our minds if they were playing a bigboy team the outcome wouldve been quite different too many penalties , offense stalling on drives and defense giving up big plays! Something to build on maybe but how can u build on barely beating a bad team?

• warpath1 - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:37 AM

How many of our projected starters were out?

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:27 AM

and your point is? My point was even with their starters the eagles are a BAD team and skins barely won! Skins cleary have more depth -did skins struggle with luvauo out no why cause outside experience he not leaps and bounds better than long – djax out ok but guess what wr can be replaced did we miss D hall ? Breeland played well in his place the guy they picked on was an gimpy culliver ! Did we exploit anything from eagle injuries not really got 2 sacks early 2 sacks on last drive when they were obviously throwing and needed chunk yardage did we carve up secondary no they played soft scheme and barely blitz cause they had 2nd and 3rd string in we played bad against a bad team i give skins credit for showin heart but a gd team wouldve embarrased them period !

• renhoekk2 - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Love how you claim we didn’t miss any of our starters because our backups played well in their place so our injuries where a non issue, but for some reason the Eagles were decimated by their injuries. How convenient.

• renhoekk2 - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Cousins completed 67% of his 49 passes for one TD and no INTs and you claim he was erratic. Aaron Rodgers
      complete 69% of his 32 passes for one TD and no INTs So he was as erratic as the best QB in the league yesterday. And the Redskins lead the league with 10 players on IR.

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:53 AM

look fanboy suppose we have all our starters and eagles have all thiers on paper skins look like a far more talented team! So the eagle injuries are more devasting to them than us the starters that they were missing outside of j peters wouldnt start or be backups for us -the only starter were truly missing is djax-luvauo ok but not a probowler duke i hasnt even played 3 full games with skins so whats his value and their was question about dhall even having a job in dc cause of breelands play could we use that depth of course what team couldnt but that game shouldnt been close eagles are a BAD team even with theyre starters and we barely won against scrubs! As far as cousins i give him all the credit in the world for pullin out the W but cmon he still inconsisten and erratic going down field and this was against backups he does a great job dinkin and dunking the underndeath stuff but against gd corners and defenses he struggles and your out your fanboy mind to compare him to AROD thats funny and irresponsible

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:14 AM

“look fanboy suppose we have all our starters and eagles have all thiers on paper skins look like a far more talented team! ”

I don’t think a single expert of the game would have stated the Skins have a far more talented team than the Eagles. Certainly it would not have been stated at the beginning of the season. The eagles have the best rushing defense in football. The offense is struggling big time but the Eagles only narrowly lost to our next opponent who is undefeated. Calling them a bad team is overreacting at this point. A good team with a bad start might be a better definition. Regardless, discounting a win because you have this perceived notion that the Eagles are a bad team, isn’t based on any fact. Games like yesterday can turn a season around. Hell, I’m a critic of Cousins but feel this is the type of game that can get him playing better as QB on a consistent basis. There is still room for improvement out of the passing game. However, if we can get Jackson back and Reed isn’t on a long hiatus then this offense may very well become much better. After this game, the season has some promise. Where it ends I don’t know but at least we are not counting ourselves out yet which is what I and many of fans would have expected by now.

• hail74 - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Wait, what!? Were the Redskins a playoff projected team like the Eagles? Of course not we were projected to be one of the worst but why would that be if we had far more talent?

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:03 PM

doesnt matter what they were projected to be after 3 games now 4 the leauge media fans writers and everyone else see their a bad team/ dolphins were predicted to be gd too they just fired their coach and we lost to them -so basically we bad team to so like i said PUMP YOUR BRAKES!

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM

look i apologise for the name calling! Im simply stating i come from an era of winning redskins football JGIBBS era where we beat up bad teams not play down to their level and that what i saw 2 bad teams giving eachother the game and too me it was worse for us because we had more talent on the field and had to pull out last second score if eagles kickes doesnt miss easy fg and extra pt we loose! They had to sign him cause injury we made the choice to replace ours so dont go there, i want a winner team not pretender

• abanig - Oct 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM

You are right that it was two bad teams playing each other. I think where you are wrong is thinking that the Redskins had more talent on the field than the Eagles did. The Eagles have a lot more talent throughout their offense than the Redskins do. Now, the Eagles talent isn’t used to playing with one another and the coaching staff is still figuring out how to best use a lot of there talent but there’s no doubt the Eagles have more talent than the Redskins do on offense. The only place you can say that the Redskins have more talent than the Eagles do on their offense is at the guard position.

On defense, the Eagles and Redskins are about equal considering the injuries both teams have to their defenses. The Eagles have more talent at safety though, so I have to give that one to them.

On special teams, I’ll take Darren Sproles over all of the Redskins special teams players. I’ll take Philly’s coverage unit over the Redskins coverage unit. Our kicker performed better than theirs and their punter put two inside the 20 so I’d say their punter performed better than ours as well.

And actually, if Sturgis makes the Eagles field goal, the game is tied and we would have gone to overtime. There’s no way of knowing who would have won the game or not.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM

3rd, 4th and 5th drink. Nice!

13. cowboyhater - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I love “egg on my face” games. They are the best ones since I gave the skins no chance in this one. A good win, but it’s obvious they have work to do. What I like is the young players contributing. That ‘s the most important part in terms of building a team.We will see this up and down all season due to youth, and lack of talent in some areas of this team, but as long as I see this team continue to fight till the end of games..that makes these games bearable to watch. Now it’s onto to shutting down “Hank Time”!!

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:54 AM

agreed finally a staff who develops young players and i thought it was an mistake to let Hank go , last yr had the knee came bk end of the yr outside one game was inactive then let him walk that was gruden being inlove with the pedestrian Grant spilt milk now! It wasnt egg on your face they almost blew it again against a bad team

• hail74 - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM

That’s football. Not all teams just blow out “bad” teams. Nobody is critizing the Jets for losing to the Eagles last week. It’s also not like we fans didn’t already realize that the skins aren’t still a really good team. We like to see improvement on a weekly basis and that’s what we saw yesterday. I get it, your not a Gruden fan or a Cousins fan so winning with them ruins your dreams of them being replaced.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM

So true. Already spent three drinks on the guy – using restraint until he mentions something new.

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM

first the jets did get critisized for losing to the eagles it wasnt a big deal because the jets aremt considerd one of the better teams and their getting an pass this yr cause bowles first yr coach and its early- 2nd i dont wish failure on anyone on the skins i applauded the hiring of gruden and drafting of cousins that my team in my TOWENS voice if they get replaced that means once again im suffering through another lost season , but cmon man that wasnt improvement we got a break and barely beat a bad team at home we got outscored 20-10 in 2nd half wit eagles missing extra pt and fg

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Another way of looking at the same game is that if Culliver was 100%, those long passes aren’t completed and this a route going away. Just saying.

14. colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Kudos to team for great win

I’m usually positive but will admit I had major doubts during second half thinking we seen this all before

Commitment to running game in close contests should b big lesson from this….eagles were gassed on that last drive cause our t.o.p…advantage

Pass protection was fantastic…apart from once in fourth qtr don’t think cousins was touched whole game

Third dwn % was xcellent

Kicker did his part in all koffs were touch backs along with 3/3fg

Cousins efficient in passing game

Not liked

Kerrigan,s two gimme sacks he missed…regardless how he felt u get paid big bucks to make those plays

Third and short to fullback…never liked those plays

Third dwn call on first drive

Pens….Yeh couple were bad calls but we not gd enough yet (like patriots) to overcome that number on regular basis

Special teams…..punter?another long punt ret given up…not gd

Just in defeat last wk we all nd to keep even keel in great victory

Massive task nxt wk vs that offense esp with banged up secondary…..however confidance we take from yesterday should provide a big boost for season

15. bk70 - Oct 5, 2015 at 8:55 AM

I think this was the best Redskins win during the Gruden era…even better that WK8 OT Win over Dallas.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM

The play calling was better but theres things they gotta get better at for sure if they gonna get pass 4 wins

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Agreed. Best win since Ravens in 2012 but not as good as the final Dallas game in 2012 which was more recent. So what does make of my comment? Who cares? We won! Tied for 1st place in the division! Last time that happened was also 2012.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM

• colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM

It was so gd u had to mention it in two posts lol

16. mr.moneylover - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Dont get high off kirk cousins yet because the next week he will break your heart with dumb mistakes…our kicker is solid hes better then kai forbath….chris culliver was hurt yesterday I like his heart he never gave up he kept battling 9x out of 10 he breaks up both of those touchdowns he gave up….the rookie CB/S kyshon Jarrett made some huge plays yesterday he might get more playing time the eagles try to target hima few times when he got in the game and the rookie won his battles most of the day…..they FINALLY threw it deep to rashad ross even though if it was under thrown and it could’ve been a touchdown it gave the eagles something to think about they couldnt send everybody in the box witch is why alfred Morris was getting them big yards at the end of the game

• colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Don’t think people will get high on cousins after yesterday. …sensible people will give him credit for playing well just like sensible people said Last wk he didn’t play well

Even after gd team win yesterday people will still come on here and point out all things cousins/gruden done wrong….u listen to cousins after game he not getting carried away thinking I played well that’s me cracked it…he knows there is lot work to be done

That’s four games he played…played well in two….decent in one and poor in one….prob just like majority qbs in the league…u watch red zone there is lot qbs who are up and down …

Time will tell how yesterday’s game will affect us going forward…hopefully positive

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM

6th drink to the underthrown ball to R.R.

• colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Hope it’s soft drinks your gonna b drinking lol or it b long day for you

• ET - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:37 PM

It doesn’t matter what he’s drinkin’, it’s gonna be a whole lotta trips to the loo.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I saw the long awaited deep ball at the stadium but I don’t recall the pass to Ross being under thrown. I’ll have to watch it from the coaches view on It’d look on target to me.

17. timwillhide - Oct 5, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Cousins played ok for the plays the Coach called most of the game and played dreamt that last drive. This game he eliminated 2 of the 3 major issues I have with him and if he keeps doing what he did yesterday and get better constancy and timing with our ERs he can limit the 3rd issue I have with him and that is accuracy with throws down field. He missed quite a few passes that were called down field and threw some “What Was That?” Throws. He will need to fix his accuracy down field because eventually defenses are gonna load the box and eliminate all those short passes he has bin throwing…….. The other2 issues I had with him which he did not do this game are Turnovers and throwing passes that hit the defenders in the hands.

18. abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:09 AM

My biggest take away from the game is that the Redskins still need to draft/sign a top flight free safety!

Here’s to drafting Jalen Ramsey in round 1 of next year!

• colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Yeh without doubt….one real position that u say is weak…..Two long tds safety appeared to b slow to cover (although better educated person would know more than me)…surprised eagles didn’t target culliver earlier but that could bn dwn to pressure our front four put on bradford in first half….no pressure third qtr look what happened

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Wait. What?! You don’t want to develop T.Rob? You’re already planning our draft when we’re TIED FOR FIRST PLACE! Have you no faith in the B&G???! You don’t have to answer that or that matter have faith in them but drafting talk during the season is loser talk. I get it, that’s what we’re reduced to come most Novembers but last I checked it the beginning of October and did I mention: WE’RE IN FIRST PLACE! Oh, I see, I did. Never mind.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:24 AM

“Wait. What?! You don’t want to develop T.Rob? ”

Apparently the officials already have it out for T. Rob. He is getting called for hitting defenseless receivers even when his helmet is point north while the receiver helmets are point at him.

• greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM

im loving T.ROB reminds me of how we found r.clark, like how he got ran over in the giant game and then responded by sticking anyplayer who had the ball aftwards including rb who ran him over showed attitude and toughness what u need from ya safety those two flags against him yesterday were bad calls

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Look at the schedule. I have faith in TRobinson as a back up. I actually have more faith in Jarrett developing into a solid starting safety.

T Robinson is what he is and that’s mostly a good special teams player who can play in spot duty but he’s not a long term starter.

In sorry if I think like a GM. A GM looks at the team and sees weaknesses and how we need to address them. They don’t just see that the team won. They see that this team has gotten regularly killed by the long ball since 2008 because we do not have a good to great free safety.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Also, I love the draft and scouting college players possibly more than watching NFL games themselves.

I’ve been this way since I first started watching the draft in middle school, or 25 years ago.

That’s how I’m wired. Before this season I was already looking forward to next year’s draft to see how the Redskins could get better.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM

I don’t disagree with: “this team has gotten regularly killed by the long ball since 2008” but totally disagree with your conclusion. There is 12 more games to make an evaluation. Nobody picks 2016 draft picks in October of 2015 – so that is not thinking like a GM. Of course, the GM is making notes of weaknesses and scouting players who might fix those areas. They certainly aren’t openly taking snipes at the team. You, of course, are such a good talent evaluator that you can give up on Robinison – never mind that the starting corner was playing on one leg – after three games but don’t have the same standard for other players in the organization. Should I call you chicken little if you look at the schedule and cringe? Perhaps, I should.

• abanig - Oct 6, 2015 at 7:32 AM

I’m not giving up on Robinson, he’s a good player and primarily a special teams player. Any idiot knows he’s not a starting safety on a good football team. He’s only starting because Ihenacho broke and dislocated his wrist. We lost our best safety when Ihenacho went out. Goldson is barely an upgrade over Clark.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 2:01 PM

The schedule favors the ‘skins unless, you’re name is Chicken Little.

Fine, you like the draft. I’ve met folks like you and that’s all I’m going to say about that. Personally, I think there is time and place for it – which is when the season is mathematically over. I think that that is a sensible position but folks who are wired your way need an outlet. As for thinking like a GM, I disagree. TRob has three games as an FS and was not put in a good position to succeed yesterday (covering for a non-practicing starter on one-leg.) There’s shared blame on the missed assignments between the FS, the coaches, and Culliver. The personal fouls will likely be evidence for those becoming review-able in the future.

Sure the GM is noting weaknesses and scouting for fixes but no one was expecting Robinson to be the answer for a 7-year problem in his third start. Plenty of time to evaluate.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Tried twice to respond to this. Schedule favors ‘skins. It is the same for everyone in the division except the Redskins get the mighty mighty Bears.

19. redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM

This was a game full of emotions: There was great satisfaction over a dominant 1st half. angst over losing a 13 point lead built in the 1st half, enrage over the officiating, bewilderment over Kerrigan’s inability to hold onto a less than average mobile QB, exhilaration over Cousins 90 yard drive that ended in a clutch touchdown pass, and great relief when Kerrigan found his grip to seal the victory.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM

ALL TRUE.

20. redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Did anyone watch Zack Hocker miss the 30 yard field goal for New Orleans? Does anyone still feel the team has the lesser of the two kickers with Dustin Hopkins? I understand the world of a kicker can change on almost any game. However as of right now, picking up Hopkins may turn out to be a critical and key moment of the season.

21. goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:08 AM

No one should be drinking that Kirk Cousins Kool-Aid yet. We all know he may come out and lay an egg next week. I tell you what, if Cousins lights up the Falcons and they come away with a W over Atlanta I may be inclined to take a sip of that Kool-Aid. Lets see what he can do next week. Consistency is a common problem with Cousins.
    Reed is a huge loss. We all knew it was coming. He is not dependable at all. Great player, but weak boned. As a TE you have to be able to take hits down the middle of the field and Reed is to fragile to play football. Some guys just do not have it. You need to be strong and durable like Jason Witten to play the TE position consistently.
    He will be out a long time probably wont come back for many weeks. :(
    I think we are going to need to address the TE position again in the offseason as Reed can not stay on the field long enough to help the team.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Playing with house money against Atlanta. Each of our rivals have already lost to them. So a victory by any means would be HUGE. Having said that, it is also the furthest from a must win game as it gets.

• ET - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Atlanta looks legit this year. But the other teams the Falcons face before their bye—Saints, Titans, Tampa, 49ers—ain’t so hot. The Skins may have a better chance than any of them to land a W. And if not, hey, they’re a non-divisional team. Just don’t want to see Hankerson burn us!

• goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Hankerson has been playing surprisingly well. Still think it was the right move to get rid of him though. Hopefully he gets drilled coming across the middle.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Hankerson was a good player in DC, he just couldn’t stay healthy for us.

I also think it was the right move to let him go play elsewhere.

We have Grant, Crowder & Ross all of whom are younger and have as much upside or more than Hankerson.

• skinsgame - Oct 6, 2015 at 5:24 AM

Hank was another player with the dropsies.

22. hk2000 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Like it or not, it’s a team win over a bad team. Cousins did OK, but barely. I don’t care about those numbers Rich dug up, he still WAS erratic and 2 throws were def. interceptions save for miraculous catches by Garcon who made Kirk look much better than he really is.

• hk2000 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Having said that, I like the young receivers- Ross and Crowder- and I’m happy they did not listen to many of the fans on here who wanted Cris Thompson cut.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I thought the Redskins did cut Chris Thompson last year it’s just no one picked him up and they were able to put him on their practice squad.

• colmac69 - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM

U might as well add the catch crowder made along with other two u mentioned….cousins put ball in only place receiver could catch it….great throws and three great catches or was I watching a different game to yourself

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Man I got to find a toilet. Drink #7.

• ET - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Hey, that might be the first hk2000 post ever that didn’t include a Gruden bash. You gotta take what you can get, man!

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Excellent point.

• goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM

There is no way I would call Cousins performance erratic!? This is Cousins we are talking about. For him that was the least erratic I have seen him in a long time. He also threw the ball with confidence as he was throwing the ball instead of aiming it. Cousins may not be the long term solution but the guy had a decent game. Atleast give him that.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Kirk played really well yesterday. Sure he missed some throws and wasn’t exactly perfect – but no qb is perfect – everyone who’s analyzed the game so far has given him an A on the radio.

I can’t wait to hear Cooley’s take in a few hours or tomorrow. It’s been 3 years since the skins have had a qb who’s brought them back to win a game in the fourth quarter.

You just can’t take that away from him.

Cousins surely overcame a defense that gave up two easy long bombs to the Eagles in the second half. He didn’t get down on the defense about that, he picked the team up and led them to a victory.

Yesterday’s win was refreshing. If you’re a Redskins fan and you don’t think it was a refreshing win and you’re still salty over Griffin not starting or something perhaps you need to find another team to root for. Fans of the “TEAM” should be happy when the “TEAM” wins, even if their favorite player isn’t playing.

23. hk2000 - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Is that Cousins Kool-Aid you’re drinking? better drink it all up, next week it may be too sour.

• goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM

What?! No way Cousins is going to show Matt Ryan how it is done! Wait… errr… nevermind

24. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:56 PM

The Reed injury is a bummer.

I think I saw Keim say that’s five concussions, including college. The Insider says 4.

Either way, if I was his doctor, I’d be saying you need to look at the research that’s piling up on CTE and make a long-term decision about your dream career.

• goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM

4 or 5 concussions is getting to the point of no return. Jordan Reed is 1 more concussion away from being another Wes Welker. His career is definitely in question now. Problem is if he comes back and sustains another concussion than he most certainly would be done.
      Maybe they should sit him out for the remainder of the year to preserve his health. You do not want the guy to be brain damaged later in life.

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Yeah, that’s a real shame. I didn’t realize he had 4 or 5 concussions counting college. That’s a lot!

It probably is best if he sits out the rest of the year, at the least I wouldn’t say we’d see him until after the bye week.

• Johnny B. - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Actually 3 the 2 in the same year were the same he played with out being fully recovered and made it worse. In which killed the rest of his season

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:34 PM

You’re not counting the one or two he had in college

25. greed - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM

HAIL74 doesnt matter what the projection are after 3 now 4 games leauge media fans writers bloggers all see the eagles are a BAD team just like the dolphins who were projected to be a contender are a bad team who we lost to ! My point we are not that gd by evidence to the bad team we lost to the good team we got dominated by bad team we barely beat ! PUMP YOUR BRAKES WE ARE NOT THAT GD!

• goback2rfk - Oct 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM

No one said we were that good and nobody here thinks we are the Patriots or anything. However, we are certainly improving there is no arguing that. We are still a very bad team but you can start to see where this team is going which is awesome. Some nice young players on this team especially Ross and Clam Chowder. Scott is going to fix this mess. In a few years we will be contenders for sure. All faith in Scott! HTTR

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Cheers to all who provided the reasons for ‘celebration.’ I’m off for a business trip. Will lurk on my mobile. Until then, happy trails.

• hail74 - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Nobody is saying we’re that good! We are just enjoying a win! Yes now the Eagles are playing bad but to say that on paper we have a far more talented team is ludicrous. Quit trying to spin a loss out of a hard won victory.

• squawonthewarpath - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:52 PM

You, greed, are a Debbie Downer. Just celebrate the victory!!!! Any of us who follow the Redskins are well aware they are not that great of a team, but we can also see progress being made. HTTR!!!

26. abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 3:42 PM

I will have you all know that Kirk Cousins played better against the Eagles this year than Matt Ryan did.

Cousins outdoors on the sloppy/rainy turf @ fed ex: 31/45, 67.4%, 290 yards, 1 touchdown, ZERO turnovers, 91.8 rtg

Ryan inside @ the Georgia Dome week 1: 23/34, 67.6%, 298 yards, 2 TDs, 2 ints, 90.1 rtg

Also, in 2013 Cousins played pretty well against the Falcons and frankly, he outplayed Matt Ryan on that day.

Cousins: 29/45, 64.4%, 381 yds, 3 TDs, 2 ints, 1 fumble and a 94.8 rtg

Ryan: 29/38, 76.3%, 210 yds, 1 TD, 1 int, 1 fumble and a 86.5 rtg

• skinsgame - Oct 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM

I thought the turf at FedEx held up fairly well yesterday. Certainly not as bad as we’ve seen before in similar conditions.

27. gasngo14 - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:01 PM

What a great team WIN with some of the young guys filling in and playing well! How about that 90 yard game winning TD drive ……WOW way to go Skins and Capt Kirk :)

Atlanta is hot. But hey if we can run the ball a bit better this week which i think we will and control the clock, keep Mattie Ice off the field we have a shot for sure!!!

28. Johnny B. - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Hey I am very happy with the win Cousins had a lot of good throws. Defense finally stepped up and got a lot of pressure and sacks. The one thing that I like the most of all is our rookies are stepping up taking that next step. 5 rookie are starting and playing well when was the last time the Redskins had that many good players come out of the draft. This is the first time I have been impressed with the Redskins management . From Scott to the coaching staff they are doing well. They are teaching and developing our young players pretty quick . Gruden is also starting to learn except for the field goal he did a good job. Just keep Dan and Bruce out of it and we will see a new trophy in the next few years

• abanig - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Hatcher, Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland, Grant, Jackson Jeffcoat and Rashad Ross were all Bruce Allen additions.

As was Djax and Chris Baker’s re-signing.

I think people need to start realizing that Bruce Allen had a pretty good offseason last year in terms of the talent he brought in.

• Johnny B. - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Yes he had some good players and a lot of bad also with no real staff to develop the draft picks we lost a lot of potentially good players so keep him out of the way and let Scott do his job.

29. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Rich Tandler@Rich_TandlerCSN

Per Gruden, Jamison Crowder is now the #Redskins’ starting slot receiver.

Earned it. And a good draft pick.

30. timwillhide - Oct 5, 2015 at 11:54 PM

I tried posting my thoughts on the game earlier and it wouldn’t let me. I posted it nothing showed up then I tried again and it said duplicate post. But it never showed up????????????

31. Skulb - Oct 6, 2015 at 2:28 AM

To tout my horn a bit, I am apparently one of very few Skins fans who is not the least bit surprised by what this team did on Sunday. I was saying in August that the offensive line would be good, that Baker would have a good season and that Cousins would spend the first five games finding his stride before becoming a top 15 QB. If anything I was surprised that they struggled as much as they did against the Giants. This is a good team. i know we´re not used to having a good team but that´s what this strange sensation we are now feeling means. It is important to not rage against this new experience but to welcome it and try to get used to it. it might take some time though.
    The offense played the best game I have seen from a Skins offense in years. Controlled, precise, calm and deadly; with a clear belief that they could win the game on the final drive. No heads hanging, nobody arguing with each other. Nothing. It was perfect. And the defense also played great.
    My only problem was the third quarter, apparently our quarter of doom this season. Everything went to pot and I was starting to think they might manage to squander another win for a while. The fact that they didn´t says a lot about this team. They not only want to win; they demand it. If they can build on this and not slump against Atlanta they might even get on a roll here, which would be awesome. And if they can figure out how to coach and play four full quarters of football I see no reason at all that they might not even win the NFC East this season, although that is well in excess of what I thought they could do before the season.

32. abanig - Oct 6, 2015 at 6:46 PM