Need to Know: Redskins will try to continue DeMarco Murray’s 2015 struggles

Oct 4, 2015, 5:52 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, October 4, the day the Washington Redskins host the Philadelphia Eagles.

Five final thoughts on Redskins vs. Eagles

—I do think that Chris Culliver will play today. However, that thinking is based on talk in the locker room from earlier in the week and on thinking that it’s a pain issue with the knee, not a structural one, and players frequently play through those. But there certainly is doubt that will last until the inactive players are announced. The promotion of corner Deshazor Everett to the 53 increases that doubt slightly but it was a smart precaution since Frank Kearse was going to be inactive anyway. The inactives are announced around 11:30, stay tuned.

—I don’t give fantasy advice but I would make no lineup decisions in this game based on previously expected heavy rains. Barring an unexpected twist in the weather there is only a 10 percent chance of rain. It may be a bit soggy because it’s been chilly and damp but I wouldn’t, say, go all in on Matt Jones because you believe he’s a mudder.

—Running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring) is questionable for the Eagles but per Adam Schefter he will play. If I’m the Redskins, I’d rather see him play. Ryan Mathews actually got things going on the ground for the Eagles last week, picking up 108 yards on 24 carries against a tough Jets defense. The more carries the Eagles invest in trying to get Murray (22 carries, 11 yards) going, the fewer Mathews will get.

—This is a good matchup for the Redskins in a lot of ways but a bad one in one key category. The Eagles are good when it comes to taking the ball away; they are third in the NFL with eight takeaways. The Redskins have problems protecting the ball with six giveaways on their ledger. Not to be Capt. Obvious here, but the Redskins will have a tough time winning a game if they turn the ball over more than once.

—The Redskins can’t let Sam Bradford get into any sort of rhythm. He has looked like a fish out of water in Chip Kelly’s offense so far, with his completion percentage declining each game down to 50 percent (14-28) against the Jets. Philly has some talented pass catchers in Jordan Matthews, Zach Ertz, and slippery running back Darren Sproles.

Today’s schedule: Eagles at Redskins, 1 p.m., FOX

Days until: Redskins @ Falcons 7; Redskins @ Jets 14; Bucs @ Redskins 21

1. troylok - Oct 4, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Not only Bradford looks like a fish out of water in this offense, but Murray does, too. Of course, their lives would be easier if the offensive line could protect. I believe the Redskins should like up two of their defensive linemen over the guards in an offset 3-4 front. The guards aren’t so good and it could give them pressure up the middle. The thing to do with their defense is just run right at them and try to wear down those decent pass rushers. The Redskins did this with Miami and the game plan should look the same.

2. berniebernard666 - Oct 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM

I am thinking maybe Scott M or Gruden is coming to read this site. Since Andre Roberts is inactive and not playing I can only assume that one of them has read my daily rants for the last 2 months about BENCHING Roberts. Thank you Rich for this site so that I could give the coach the proper information he needs.

I have been all over this since last season and I just don’t know why the Skins have been so slow to realize something I saw last season, that Roberts will lose you games if you play him. He cannot catch. Roberts is a loser. Keep losers on your losers….and your team will be a loser….which is where they stand as of right now. So FINALLY….he is benched and perhaps they can win.

• kenlinkins - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:42 PM

You may have a point, did anyone else notice that even when the Redskins gave up the lead that the young guns were not hanging their heads like Roberts does when things go south? I would keep him inactive next week so he can not kill a drive with one of his drops or lack of effort.

• hail74 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Grant looked a little too down when he dropped that pass late but otherwise I agree

3. squawonthewarpath - Oct 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Penalties are killing them!!!!

4. goback2rfk - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM

• goback2rfk - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM

• hail74 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I second this!

• gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:37 PM

I sure haven’t heard them chants you been calling for :)

• gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:39 PM

I sure haven’t heard them chants you’ve been calling for :)

HTTR !!!

5. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Give Kirk some credit for leading the team on a final desperate TD drive.

6. hail74 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM

A win where Cousins played great and brought us back to win it. Guess it’s going to be quiet on here for awhile.

• dkat44 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Yes!!! Your probably right about being quiet at least this week. I’m sure Tim …will…hide. HTTR!!!

• gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM

• squawonthewarpath - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:57 PM

LOL….Yes I am very proud of Cousin’s performance today. He played great!!!!

• squawonthewarpath - Oct 4, 2015 at 5:06 PM

And yes I hate how so many people who call themselves fans are here to bash the team when they lose. Yet when they win…those same bashers are as quiet as church mice. Sometimes silence speaks way more way than words.

• bangkokben - Oct 4, 2015 at 7:02 PM

I suspect we’ll hear about leaving points on the field in the first half, the catch by Garcon being a great individual play, and whatever else they can spin. I’m sure the sentiment will be something about how the only reason we needed a come back was because we let the game slip away. Oh well; they’re Redskin fans. Sure they are.

• hail74 - Oct 4, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Don’t forget the “lucky”fumble for the “gift” TD that cousins scored.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:42 AM

I knew I was forgetting something.

7. kenlinkins - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:39 PM

Interesting win for the Redskins, Cousins proved once again he is a streaky passer and will have times in games where the Redskins must keep running the ball until the next streak starts. The young guns played big today, Smith, Murphy. Jarrett, Crowder, Ross, Grant, Moses, Breeland and Scherff all played well with $30 million of cap space inactive. I wonder if the young guns found the heart / guts that has been missing from a Redskins team for many years. Let’s be clear, the Eagles are not a great team but IMO this was a must win if the Redskins were going to continue to have something to play for. Sitting at 2-2 and having a long drive to win the game is one of the step required to become a play-off team at some point down the road. Learning to win could be the title of this game and the first real sign that the new GM does in fact have the Redskins on the right path, Funny how one win early in a season can give so much hope but this team could 4-0 right now if not for some old habits that showed up at just the wrong time. Let’s hope this is the start of something good (and that I have bad feelings before each game as it seems to point to a big Redskins effort)..

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:43 PM

I think we can give Gruden some credit for sitting a guy who was dropping passes and letting the young WRs show what they can do. Also.

• kenlinkins - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM

While I am not yet sold on Gruden he did in fact show guts sitting Roberts in a must win home game. It was the right move and a bold move that paid off.

• gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM

I would not necessarily say a ” streaky passer” many dropped passes and unnecessary penalties have been more of the issues and lets not forget being on the same page QB & WR which will only get better as games are played.

• squawonthewarpath - Oct 4, 2015 at 5:02 PM

I agree. A few passes that should have been caught were dropped. I think Kirk played awesome today. Is he the answer for this team at QB? I have my doubts, but he is slowly and surely proving that he IS the best QB on this team right now.

8. goback2rfk - Oct 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM

That was surely one of Cousins best games he started. He was much more accurate today. We will see if he can play 2 good games in a row which is the big question.
    The team played very hard today and I am very pleased with this win. The drive at the end of the game was exciting. When was the last the Skins went 90 yards to win the game?
    Cool win. Thanks Skins! HTTR!

9. gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 5:40 PM

I love the way we controlled the clock on ole C Kelly , did we beat him at his own game ?

• gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 5:41 PM

We wore his D out and our D looked fresh at the end !!!

• bangkokben - Oct 4, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Who would have thought that the Eagles Defense would be their strength? That is a decent defense with a madman as its head coach. Any defense that has to defend 15 of the first 20 minutes is going to be gassed at the end of the game. Good job by the coach sticking with a running game that wasn’t hitting on all cylinders.

10. bangkokben - Oct 4, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Bring on the Falcons! The Redskins get a chance to take one from the NFC East since each of our division rivals lost to Atlanta. Then again, the way Miami looks, it might be our chance for making up for that outing against a poor opponent.

Bummer to have Reed get a concussion. I sure someone on this blog will blame Cousins this week for it,

• gasngo14 - Oct 4, 2015 at 7:30 PM

I thought it was from Rob smacking him on his head on the sidelines …….:)

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 4, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Whoa, Reed got another concussion?

He’s about maxed out on those, as far as a football career is concerned.

• bangkokben - Oct 5, 2015 at 7:42 AM

Yep. Not a good thing for the young man.

• goback2rfk - Oct 4, 2015 at 9:26 PM

If they beat the high flying Falcons I will be so happy i may buy my wife some flowers for the first time in 10 years.
      I wonder who is going to cover Julio Jones. I guess Breeland. Could get ugly even Sam Bradford got a few over the top on us today. The Skins secondary needs some help for sure.

11. goback2rfk - Oct 4, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Awesome, cowgirls loose. Division is wide open. Is there any way possible that Jordan Reed can play next week? Is it possible to pass the concussion protocol in 1 week if its just a small concussion?

12. kenlinkins - Oct 5, 2015 at 12:09 AM

IMO This game was won at the 13:30 mark of the first quarter, on C. Thomson’s 42 yard run. After 3 Morris runs for a total of 16 yards, Thomson’s run of 42 yards caused the Eagles to adjust their front seven out of fear. At the start of the game the Eagles where looking for the Redskins to pass early against the best run defense in the NFL. While this adjustment clamped down on the Redskins ground game, it also slow the pass rush and opened up passing lanes behind the LB’s on play action. The Eagles waited for the Redskins to quit running the ball but today the Redskins coach’s stay with the run even with the limited yards gained. It wasn’t until the last drive did the Eagles take any chances and use a more run friendly front, but the Redskins ran the ball 3 times for 22 yards. Then the next 2 first downs the Redskins ran again gaining 16 more yards. That C. Thomson 42 yard run set up the Redskins for the rest of the game by locking in the Eagles. I take nothing away from Garcon play on the last drive, it was great, and Cousins was on target, but IMO the fear of the Redskins not giving up on the run caused the opening the Redskins required to win. Great play calling at the end.

13. kenlinkins - Oct 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Someone once told me that “You are never as good as you think after winning, and not as bad as you feel after losing”. The Redskin are 2-2, at 500% after the first quarter of the season and showed some heart / guts in a big come from behind win in “cross roads” type of game. There was a lot to like, plus many concerns to address in the first quarter of the season. I give the Redskins a B to date this year. With a few breaks the Redskins could be 4-0 after playing 4 less than good teams and stand tied for first place in the NFC East. Let’s see what the 2nd quarter brings in the way of improvements and wins. Anyone willing to give odds on the over / under for still being 500% and tied for first place in the NFC East at the half way point? (I am guess 4-4 and in 2nd place). Archives