Need to Know: Who is the Redskins’ biggest surprise through three games?

Oct 2, 2015, 5:03 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Friday, October 2, two days before the Redskins host the Eagles.

Ten Tandler Redskins ramblings

1. As I noted earlier this week, the Redskins gave Jamison Crowder a good run of playing time against the Giants. Apparently the coaching staff likes what they saw; he is likely to be in for more playing time going forward, per my man John Keim of ESPN and some others.

2. Eagles QB Sam Bradford hasn’t been very good getting the ball very far downfield. His line on passes over 10 yards: 7 of 25 (28%), 153 yards (6.1 YPA), 1 TD, 3 INT, 26.3 QB rating. Expect to see the cornerbacks playing tight coverage until Bradford makes them pay.

3. Even though Chris Culliver missed practiced on Thursday, the word is that he will be on the field come game time on Sunday. It’s more of a pain issue that anything structural with his knee. Players usually don’t miss games if the issue is pain.

4. With all of the talk of Kirk Cousins’ interceptions this year and how Robert Griffin III generally protects the ball better, it should be noted that Cousins had more touchdowns passes last year (10) than interceptions (9); Griffin did not (4 TD, 6 INT).

5. This is just a gut feeling, but I think that DeAngelo Hall will end up being out longer than the 3-4 week estimate we got from Jay Gruden. It would not surprise me at all if he needs surgery on it, which could end his season. Again, just a feeling.

6. The surprise of the season so far is Morgan Moses. Nobody was sure what his future was when training camp started. Having successfully rehabbed from a Lisfranc injury, he moved into the starting right tackle job as top draft pick Brandon Scherff went to right guard. In three games Moses has allowed no sacks and just two hurries.

7. Is the fullback disappearing? Darrel Young has played just 21 of the team’s 228 snaps this year. He remains valuable on special teams but he certainly would like to have a bigger role on offense.

8. Another player with a surprisingly low snap count is Stephen Paea. He’s been in for just 56 of the 177 defensive plays. That’s a pretty light workload for a player who got a contract worth $21 million over four years with $7.85 million guaranteed.

9. I’m sticking to what I said before the season—if the Redskins are improved this year, Jay Gruden’s job is safe. Despite all the talk about his itchy trigger finger Dan Snyder has yet to fire a coach after he improved the team’s record from the year before.

10. There is virtually no chance that DeSean Jackson plays against the Eagles, as much as he might like to. His hamstring pull was fairly serious and three weeks after it happened is too much to ask. Jackson admitted that his leisurely pace of rehabbing after his shoulder injury early in camp may have had something to do with his injury. He is approaching 30 (turns 29 on December 1) and he needs to figure out that you need to work harder as you get older, not rest on your laurels. Santana Moss figured it out, I’m not so confident that Jackson will.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:15; Jay Gruden, Sean McVay news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 12:45

Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Falcons 9; Redskins @ Jets 16

110 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Nice stats on KIRK vs RGIII! That should silence the RGIII fans. Did everyone see Vick last night? Flashes of brilliance. But for the most part, not dependable when it counted. The announcers kept saying it, when he uses his legs… And so true. The drives he ran on, he completed passes. RGIII is Michael Vick at best. He need to “use his legs”, or he is worthless to the NFL.

Now for the reality of the Tedskins this year. Our injuries with important players are horrific. We have to have more stsrting players on IR, or injured than most teams in the NFL. There have only been 3 games!! Not convinced our trainers know what they are doing. We are playing starters from other teams waiver wires for heavens sake! TEs, CB, ILB, special teams, OMG.

If we do not clean up special teams and penalties, we might as well accept the fact that we will be lucky to finish with more than 3-4 wins.

Our defense, although ranked high and great at stopping the run, for some reason cannot create a turn over??? WTF? How is that possible. If we don’t start seeing turnovers, our defensive ranking will slowly drop. Looking at teams like the Steelers. They are ranked 31st, but sure looked better than our defense for some reason.

If we don’t clean up special teams, penalties, establish run, generate turn overs, we will drop like a rock.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM

“Crowder is MUCH better than Roberts. I would cut Roberts today and start Crowder the rest of the year.”

You, my man, are the cut master on this site. I mean you are trigger happy on getting guys off this roster. Didn’t you also want to cut Reed as TC barely even started? My mistake if you weren’t but I’m pretty sure you were one of two calling to cut both Reed and Thompson.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Btw, I’m not all that happy with Roberts as a receiver but he is one hell of a blocking WR in open field. Crowder would get eaten up by the same guys Roberts has taken out down field as Jones and Morris get to the second level. Also, I’m not confident Crowder is free of future injury. He missed much of TC with a hamstring injury so I’m not in a hurry to start him in the slot.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM

So Droperts is basically James Thrash that can’t catch.

I kid because I love. No point cutting the guy we’re paying for his services this year no matter what so we might as well find a use for him. Also, it’s not like Crowder, Ross, or Jackson can block. Josh Morgan 2.0.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM

I liked Thrash but I do think Roberts is a notch better was a receiver than Thrash. I always wanted a jersey with that name on the back.

• ET - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Roberts has thrown a few monster downfield blocks this year. I’m grateful for that. (Thank God he can do something besides tease us with dropped balls.)

• wvredskins - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I just dont get it, he will make a spectacular catch where the ball is thrown behind him or something of that nature then he will miss the easy one that hits him in stride. He needs to improve in CONCENTRATION

• gasngo14 - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM

nameisheretostay so you are ok with a guy who proves weekly he can’t catch ….? I wonder how you would be talking about him if your boy Rob was QB??

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:08 AM

“Nice stats on KIRK vs RGIII! That should silence the RGIII fans. ”

Ah no it doesn’t prove anything since that was last season stats. How about returning to the present and realizing the offense is different this year. The offense has much improved run blocking and running game that RG3 can benefit from just like Kirk has so far. The offense is carrying Kirk at this point. As a starting QB he needs to start playing like one.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Yeah. What was he thinking? Silence?! C’mon. How dare he?

As for playing like a starting QB, he is in the mold of a Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, or Ryan Fitzpatrick. But let’s not have three different sets of expectations for each of our quarterbacks. Or does just Cousins have to be better than those guys – right now. Somehow Cousins has reached his ceiling but poor Robert is being unjustly treated by the organization.

• hail74 - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Well said!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Putting words in the mouth of others doesn’t make your point.

Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, or Ryan Fitzpatrick on their current pace are unlikely to be starters for longs So if you have to reach to those QBs for a Cousin comparison then you are making no point at all. You’re only supporting the fact he is not playing at a level currently that will keep him a starting QB.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Who is putting words in other’s mouths? You said he needs to play like a starting QB. I could’ve listed 15 starting QBs playing at Cousins level ( a guy named the starter for the first time in career three games ago) but selected four of our opponents. Why should Cousins have to right now play at your unrealistic expectations? And if they aren’t unrealistic expectations, what exactly are these expectations or are you just reserving your right to complain about everything because Griffin isn’t QB?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM

“somehow Cousins has reached his ceiling but poor Robert is being unjustly treated by the organization.”

Where did I make this statement?

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM

No. I made that statement because that is the sentiment here. Griffin’s performance last year wasn’t even close to Cousins’ three game sample this year but you have to shout that Cousins’ isn’t good enough. You ignore the efficiency of the offense and focus on the negatives as if each negative is a personal offense to Redskin fans because this coach has elected to go with #8 instead of #10 – never mind the rationale for making that decision.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:08 PM

“Why should Cousins have to right now play at your unrealistic expectations?”

What’s unrealistic about asking Cousins to hit open receivers or at least hit receivers in stride with some level of consistency.

I guess you want to continue to distort my intentions to make some baseless points. I’ll continue to stress I have no desire for RG3 to start in this offense. I again feel a west coast offense is not one he’ll perform well in. I’ll also stress I’ll not coddle Cousins about his play. He is the starting QB and I expect more from him as a starter. Again for the n’th time; I’m willing to even accept Cousins throwing interceptions if he just produces more points and is more accurate hitting his receivers on target. I’m not going to lay down an accept him both costing interceptions and throwing off target. Many here are only defending him because they have a vested interest in not looking like they were wrong about the guy. So many felt he was supposed to be so MUCH improved based on preseason performance. I don’t see it!

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Look, I’m coming at you because you wanted patience for Griffin bur afford none for Cousins. I’d personally love to have Griffin back under center and show us some improvement but that doesn’t have anything to do with your criticism of Cousins. It has been inconsistent. When Cousins doesn’t connect with on four passes against the Rams, it’s all about the could’ve been interception, the strength of the running game, the short passes. So then the next game he misses passes and suddenly he’s leaving points on the field and we should expect more. WHY? Why should we expect more from a guy starting his 3rd game as a starter – not as a place holder? Why? Why should he be soooo much better than last year? Why can’t you see that in a small sample he is better than last year?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM

“No. I made that statement because that is the sentiment here. ‘

It’s not my sentiment and I never stated Cousins has reached his ceiling. That is the main reason why I’ve been so critical of him. I only stated his ceiling will not reach elite status. I just want decent play out of the guy.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Again, I’d be willing to discuss what ‘decent play’ is with you but it seems to be a moving target and one with a much different set of guidelines depending on who is under center. If you’re expecting accuracy on every throw, not settling for field goals instead of touchdowns and no turnovers; you’re expecting too much. I’m expecting middle of pack quarterback performance. There will be missed throws and mistakes but there will be fewer three and out than last year. There will be 50% or better success on third down. And there will be a chance to win in the fourth quarter. A lot of that will be predicated by the success of the running game but that would be the case no matter which of out three QBs starts.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I expect more accuracy and not 100% accuracy. I think they need to stretch the field more on passes to open things up for Cousins. I’ve continued to state that the scheme of giving him a short field probably is not helping him. Cousins of the past appeared to like the deep ball option and it looks like that has been taken away from him (i.e. Jackson effect?). A little thing like attempting a few plays 40 yards downfield can do wonders in backing up the secondary some, or even forcing a safety to second guess his coverage. It may even help Cousins to loosen up or stop overthinking his passes like he suggested he did with the under throw on Reed

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:42 PM

There’s no doubt they’re missing Jackson and everyone wants Aaron Rodgers type accuracy. But what is acceptable accuracy? Cousins is simply going to have at least one ball a game that is off target and there will be some games like Thursday where he was off on a handful of throws. Then again, if Roberts catches the one that hits him in the hand Jones doesn’t fumble and Redskins are in striking distance. (I mention this because you discount Cousins’ actual TD passes as if they shouldn’t count.)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM

” But what is acceptable accuracy? ”

I’d have to go back and review but there is a mental tolerance everyone has when it comes to accuracy. Others have expressed the same sentiment on his accuracy as I have. Most of the off targets seem to be on Grant for some reason. They had some of the same issues in preseason. However, there has been far more than enough to frustrate me. Cousins has had a few dynamite throws to Reed in the middle of the field. However, most on target throws have been underneath and behind the line of scrimmage. The mid-range passes have been off with frequency. The footballoutsiders stat line on his week two ineffective short passes is telling. I provided that link on a few occasions. But what I think it proves is that Cousins has not connected well on key passes and especially ones that move the chains. Keep in mind that comment below is based on his best game so far.

“There’s nothing wrong with completing 85 percent of your passes, but there’s a lot of empty calories here. Thirteen of those 23 completions failed to pick up a first down, and nine of them were considered failed plays. That includes a 2-yard loss on first-and-10 and three completions on third-and-14 or more that gained a total of 10 yards.”

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM

No. I understand the comment but another way of looking at is that 10 of 23 completions did pick up first downs including key passes at the end of that game. So 10/29 pass plays picked up first downs (two sacks). That is an improvement over last year and that is what I’m looking for. Also 3rd and 14+, remember how many times we were in those situations last year? Converting those is not to be expected by our team – no matter who is playing QB. But this time we got in those situations because of penalties instead of sacks on 2nd and long. Lastly that -2 yard pass was the play between two huge runs. I hardly hold that play on the QB or even the coaching staff. The point is that 23/27 was an efficient game but not stellar qb play. I get it and I will take efficient for now.

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Might b wrong but I think cousins has completed 15 out 20 on third dwn which was gd enough to move the chains

But hey some on here think 3rd dwn comp % are useless cause we stink in red zone efficiency

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Actually it’s 11 of 20 first down conversions. That’s still quite good and I should mention that more but I’d like to see those results in more TD drives.

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM

So if your logic applies, you can’t harp on his INTs from last year because it was a different team… Lol

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Correct, and I haven’t used last years INTs as examples. I only need to use this year’s INTs which is 3-4 for touchdown to interceptions. Two touchdowns that were quite charitable based on officials missing calls in those instances.

• hail74 - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Charitable touchdowns. It’s statements like that that make no sense. So if a Qb drives his team to the 1yd line( where it should’ve been placed on one of those TDs your referring) and the team runs it in from there he’s somehow less efficient as a QB?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM

“Charitable touchdowns. It’s statements like that that make no sense.’

The first one was Reed who pushed down his defender after positioning himself for a touchdown. Now the only reason I can expect the official did not pull the flag was because the defender had his back to the QB. However, many times you’ll see a offense pass interference call on similar plays. That is a debatable one and could even be construed as such.

The second was Chris Thompson who clearly dragged his ankle before he reached the goal line. Coughlin actually was penalized for tossing the red beanie. However, replay showed he was right about the call but the officials chose not to review it. To me that is a charity touchdown.

Regardless, my intention is not to take away those from Cousins as much to point out how little it takes to realize just how few TD passes he has provided the offense thus far.

I’d make the same statement regardless who our QB was. It wasn’t too long ago I was called a RG3 hater for criticizing his scrambling, pocket presence, or the fact he is to be blamed for his own injury. Many fans just don’t like constructive criticism on players they fall in love with.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 4:21 PM

You are a douche bag chump. Come here with the cursing. Real tough guy.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM

“RGIII is Michael Vick at best. He need to “use his legs”, or he is worthless to the NFL.”

Dude, do you just watch football on Madden games? RG3 is a far more accurate passing QB than Vick ever was. Vick is faster and actually has a stronger arm. However RG3 is a far more accurate thrower. Hell Vick and RG3 are only compare because of speed and color. However take away those two elements and there is little to find similar between the two. Take the white man blinders off for god’s sake.

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:46 AM

They are both run first QBs that failed in the NFL to prove they are starting QBs. Or do the facts show different?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:38 PM

When was the last time RG3 was a run first QB? If QB is passing more than he runs the ball then he can’t be a run first QB. The notion of a run first QB in the NFL mostly doesn’t even exists. It’s just a poor assumption made about a guy how happens to have little speed and plays QB. Was Steve Young a run first QB?

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Steve young was a run first QB in BYU. He realized there he had to change. It took 2-3 years in college and 3-4 years in the NFL to change him from a read option spread style QB to an NFL QB. Check the stats. RGIII just started in his journey to become an NFL QB, so based on Youngs experience, should take him 5 more years. Do you want to wait that long?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Aaron Rogers sat on the bench for 4 years. Do you think the Green Bay fans regret that? Some investments are worth the time and especially ones you invest many draft picks to get. Again, RG3 is NOT a run first QB since there is no such thing in the NFL unless the QB is in a wildcat formation. He is the one that asked not to run the read option so do you think RG3 thinks he is a run first QB?

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Exactly! HE decided, and that is the problem. You are hanging on symantics. Whether you call it run first, read option, spread… All is the same notion. They create opportunities with their legs, not their brains and arm. RGIII has proven his head is largely his problem.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 4:25 PM

I see a ban coming for Cal. He must be one really tough guy because of how he spells the N word. Cal never stepped on a field and found out how to be a touch guy with his keyboard warrior talk.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Yeah, he’s gone. No warning for that garbage.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:15 AM

“If we do not clean up special teams and penalties, ”

Garbage in garbage out and recycle.

The special teams cost us 2 points last Thursday but gave us 6. I’m not saying the special teams is solid in any way. It wasn’t expected to be with the injuries that came out of TC. We need a starting QB to play like one if we want to win more games. That’s is plain is simple there.

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Did special teams not cost us chance of win vs miami?

Again the easy solution to blame qb…

Some of your posts on here are quite gd esp when you talk about other stuff

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:44 PM

“Did special teams not cost us chance of win vs miami?”

At tie? Yes! However, is it too much to ask an offense to produce more than one touchdown against a Miami defense btw that has been destroyed by the likes of Jackson and Bills in consecutive weeks.

“Again the easy solution to blame qb…”

“Instead of constantly having go at the qb why not post about the lack of production from Kerrigan and Murphy. ..or lack turnovers the defense has…’
          I actually just had a conversation about Kerrigan’s lack of performance below. However those are excuses to avoid clear facts that Cousins has been missing open receivers, throwing behind receivers, and is still throwing interceptions at a rate faster than touchdowns. But who am I to question our starting QB and to suggest he should do more for this team than a 49 QBR. My bad Cousins has been just fine folks! My bad, no need to look at QB play here! It’s actually fine according to some since he is performing just as well as the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Who am I to ask for more …oh the shame

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Too b honest I don’t care if we score one offense td a game if we win….we might have won miami game 13-10 if not for special team letdown. …last time I looked you get a win whether u win 3-0 or 43-0 (to b fair I know scoring 13pts a game won’t win many games) but point being a win is a win regardless of score

I’m not saying cousins is finished article by any means…however they are better qualified people than us fans who make the decisions to who they play which gives team best chance of winning

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM

“If you think cousins is a lost cause why advocate he should get to halfway point of season at least?’

Actually my reaction is because I don’t think he is a lost cause. I believe Cousins can be a starter in the NFL. An elite QB? No but an effective one. However his performance thus far this season has given me some doubt. I expected him to perform better than he has and especially with how effective the running game has been. I never thought he could reduce his interceptions habit much but I did hoped he could be more accurate than he has. I think the scheme is part of the problem but I’m just being redundant trying to explain these points. Yes my criticism on Cousins has been harsh but it’s not be built off of hate for the guy its simply because I think he can be better. Hell, if we can get more passing downfield we may be able to take this weak division. That feeling is part of what is driving my criticism as well.

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 3:05 PM

That’s cool…….don’t get me wrong….just because I think cousins can be the guy doesn’t mean I got a blinkered approach toward him

He left stuff out on field for sure and if he doesn’t improve in terms of ints then his job b on line…think he knows himself this is poss final opportunity to show he can b starting quality qb in this league

It just irks me that he seems to b the easy target whenever we lose a game

But after what happened in oregon kind of puts things in perspective does it not

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:47 AM

So the touch back did not harm the Broncos inbthe Super Bowl for their game start??? Idiot. Momentum.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Yes the Broncos game has a direct impact to the games we’ve lost. Looks like we solved the touch back issue with the new kicker so why bring up what appears to be a nonissue now? Any of phantom complaints to provide?

• colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:55 PM

blocked punt for a safety. 2 points. Not TB on kick off.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Kick off return for 6 points – Net

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM

…points +4 for special teams.

2. sidepull - Oct 2, 2015 at 6:13 AM

Yea my vote is Morgan Moses. That was a nice way to step up and his performance so far, against some stiff competition has been admirable. Nobody saw that coming except Callahan.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM

I agreed! However, where are the ones here who thought he was better playing guard? That was such a silly notion that a guy his size and wingspan was going to be a guard. I figured there was no way Moses could get low enough to get leverage as a guard. There is a reason most guards are under 6’5.

• ET - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Moses has been great, no doubt. But Shawn Lauvao was kickin’ ass on the other side before he was injured. After his underwhelming 2014, that surprised the heck out of me. Give it up for Bill Callahan, he’s producing great results. (We’ll see how Long does in Lauvao’s place.)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Shawn Lauvao was great on run blocking but struggled some on pass protection. Overall, I still agree Shawn Lauvao was a huge surprise but I didn’t see Moses even starting this year.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I don’t even think Callahan saw him coming. Moses was taking mental reps until training camp. Sure Callahan deserves credit for noticing him and getting it out of him but most of the credit should go to Moses for having the hunger to erase 2014 and apply what he’s learned.

• captblood3000 - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Gruden saw Moses’ improvement. He thought that Moses would have started by the end of last season but for the Lisfranc injury. I realize that the Moses’ recovery was problematic, but he’s back, so kudos to Gruden. And notice that Gruden always starts his comments on Moses by calling him a “smart guy”.

I watched Moses (to the exclusion of all else) play in last year’s San Francisco game. (Full disclosure: I’m a UVa grad.) Moses (at left tackle) gave up two sacks in that game to Aldon Smith. I thought one of those sacks must have been Griffin’s fault because Griffin backed out of a clean pocket so only Smith knew Griffin’s whereabouts. Smith has been an All-Pro.

I can question Moses’ run blocking. I’ve seen him get to the second level on running plays and then fail to find a defender to block. If he can learn to do this, you’ll see improvement in the Redskins’ rushing numbers. And working with Scherff should help him, too. While I have been a Scherff skeptic, Scherff is a terrific run blocker, and another “smart guy”.

As for the “play Moses at guard” crowd, its’ ringleader, deepball, got himself banned by Tandler. He still comments on CSN posts. deepball would regularly talk about Moses’ “slow feet”, but couldn’t produce a scouting report to that effect. The scouting reports all said Moses should play tackle and only differed in whether he should play on the left or the right side.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:26 PM

“I can question Moses’ run blocking. ‘

Yeah some sites like ProfootballOutsiders have him ranked pretty low in run blocking based on runs to his side. However, Moses has been a great relief from past RTs. Gruden has complemented Moses but I don’t know if any head coach is making the call on who starts at the line. That has to go to Callahan IMO.

As for slow feet? I never read or notice that about Moses. Getting caught too upright was his biggest issue if I recall. He just needed to work on his base and learn to get lower on guys coming off the edge. I think that is where he is improved the most but I’d like to read what Callahan thinks was the biggest stride made from this year and last.

3. colorofmyskinz - Oct 2, 2015 at 6:32 AM

If Cousins flames out or finishes the year with underwhelming performance, gruden is gone. Gruden is messing with Snyders pride and joy boy RGIII. That alone will get him fired, al la Shannahan. The ONLY thing that can save gruden at this point is if Cousins surprises the critics and creates a winning season without above average INTs. If that does not happen, gruden is basically gone for his failure to turn RGIII into Aron rogers or Tom Brady… LOL. SNYDER what can you say…

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Off to principle Oh shag hennesy’s office. Aron Rogers?! It’s A-ARon Rodgers.

4. troylok - Oct 2, 2015 at 7:11 AM

Interesting stat on Darrel Young. He was an underutilized weapon last season. I think when he is in there they need to give him a carry or two and a few receptions. No one ever looks for the fullback to anything other than block.

5. abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 7:50 AM

In a year where Griffin missed two months #4, is true but not exactly a fair assessment.

I think 2013 is a more accurate sample size. In 13 games Griffin had 3,203 yards passing, 16 TDs, 12 ints. That’s 246 yards a game on a recently reconstructed knee and playing with a bulky knee brace which affected his mobility.

He also had 489 yards rushing on that knee and with that brace which means 37.6 yards per game.

If Shanahan doesn’t bench Griffin to allow Cousins to throw up on himself against 3 of the worst defenses we faced all year the final 3 games, Griffin puts up these stats in 2013:

Passing: 3,940 yards, 20 TDs, 15 ints and 602 yards rushing.

So yeah, I think he’s still the best option if, IF a coach uses some plays and formations that he excels at the most. Some pistol plays sprinkled in, some zone read sprinkled in and some bootleg sprinkled in.

• skinsgame - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Those. numbers are skewed as well though as the majority of them came late in games the Redskins and Griffin were being blown out of by half time. In 2013 he had his lowest QBR and his lowest yards per attempt average. 2013 was an awful year for Griffin in spite of his misleading statistics. There’s an eyeball test as well.

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM

So not too different than when Cousins throws for 300 or 400 yards then?

Last week Cousins patted his stats in the 4th quarter when the Giants were in a prevent defense.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Now you can’t spin that on Cousins! After all he avoids sacks and that is what matters most.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Yes. 2013 was exactly like the 4th quarter of the Giants game – except Griffin’s 2013 had a larger percentage. Cousins’ ‘padded’ stats have so far been in 1/12 of his season. Griffin’s were easily 1/10 if not more. Furthermore, those stats weren’t good enough for the coach. Those stats weren’t good enough when McNabb produced similar numbers. Those stats are good in anything but a Shanahan offense.

• skinsgame - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Yes, just like when Cousins padded his stat line. The majority of Griffins 2013 season statistics that you are hailing as successful were a facade.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM

“2013 was an awful year for Griffin in spite of his misleading statistics.”

It might have something to do with this statement. The point is if you want to call 2013 an awful year for RG3 then there were plenty of reasons for it.

• skinsgame - Oct 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM

I wasn’t the one boasting about his 2013 numbers, abanig was.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Yeah, you’re so right! It’s just unacceptable for a 2nd year player returning back from a torn ACL/MCL, missing all of OTA/TC, having a few weeks of practice using a new bulky brace while under a different offense to have struggles. He should have torn it up in 2013 and not missed a beat. I guess you were one of them chanting RG3 in 2012 and asking for his release after 2013?

• skinsgame - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM

What does anything you wrote have to do with what we’re discussing? He made a point citing Griffins stats and I made a point about how those were misleading. I’m not sure where injury recovery fits in. I wasn’t asking for his release until I saw him play after they picked up his $16 million option.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM

“2013 was an awful year for Griffin in spite of his misleading statistics.”

• Skulb - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:50 AM

So you get to choose which games from Griffin count while I don´t with Cousins? Personally I don´t think any of Cousins relief performances for Griffin count and that he has three starts so far. How do you like that?

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 5:24 PM

That’s fine. Was Cousins better than Griffin in 2013?

6. skinsgame - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Biggest surprised to me is Matt Jones. Close 2nd is the disappearing act of Ryan Kerrigan.

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:28 AM

People downplayed Ryan Kerrigan’s knee injury and surgery all offseason. I didn’t. I thought it could be a bigger deal than anyone knew and on one message sight I suggested the team shouldn’t sign him to an extension until after the 2015 season because of this injury & surgery.

Man was I killed for having that opion well…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:36 AM

You are probably right about the knee slowing his overall performance. However, I think Kerrigan is also impacted by having no edge rusher on the field. I think if Galette didn’t run into an injury of his own then it would have opened things up for Ryan.

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Ahhhh the having NO Brian Orakpo factor, yes! That as well

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Absolutely! Orakpo influenced double teams to his side. Galette who I think is an even better edge rusher would have done the same. However, I really feel Orakpo is the more rounded OLB.

• skinsgame - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I’m not saying Kerrigan wouldn’t benefit from another pass rusher being on the field but, after Orakpo was injured last year Kerrigan had 7 sacks. He isn’t the same player right now.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I don’t remember you voicing that opinion or being killed for it. Not saying it didn’t happen. But, I shared that opinion. I even cited Chris Cooley’s and Lavar Arrington’s similar injuriers as a reason to wait. Then, as everything this offseason, I gave the GM the benefit of the doubt for signing Kerrigan to the big contract. I hope for the team’s sake that we were/are wrong but this could easily become the beginning of the end for Kerrigan.

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 4:59 PM

I voiced it on a message forum, not here.

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:47 AM

For once I agree regarding inj…apart from a stop on 4-1 vs miami he contribution bn little if anything….in a 3-4 two outside guys nd to b impact guys but him and Murphy have done zero in that regard…maybe it’s the scheme they being asked to play

As for orapko his contribution was minimal last couple yrs albeit he had injs

• ET - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Orakpo’s last contribution in sacks was minimal / not optimal, but he occupied some good linemen, and he’s well above average when it comes to run coverage. While I’d like to see more sack production from our OLBs, I do give the front office credit for finding players who’re not only “sack specialists” and can’t set the edge against the run. Orakpo included.

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Yeh he was good in that regard but your outside guys in a 3-4 get paid to sack qb….create turnovers in big moments in games (look back at pitt/baltimore 3-4 def a few yrs ago and how infleuncial their outside guys were )….that’s why these guys get the bread…..

Will say galette was big loss in an outside guy who would get to qb

7. redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:31 AM

” Another player with a surprisingly low snap count is Stephen Paea. He’s been in for just 56 of the 177 defensive plays.”

Any chance that is because Paea has had to log 14 snap counts on special teams? With the many injuries there I don’t know if they have to move in into special teams or the plan always was that he’d log some special team snaps.

Otherwise, I assume this is the Chris Baker effect who has 76. I really feel he was going to benefit from 3-4 Under Defense. He is a big guy who can move.

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM

From what I’ve see Paea doesn’t play much on 3rd downs. Hatcher plays on 3rd downs and I think either RJF or Baker are in there often. They usually take Paea & Knighton off the field in obvious passing situations.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:55 AM

That would be a bit of a surprise then since Paea’s strength coming here was his pass rush and his weakness was stopping the run. However, it is a different defense for all these players so maybe that is just how it played out with the 3-4 Under

• ET - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Paea’s low snap count seems to be related to “The Chris Baker Effect,” at least in part. Baker has been playing very aggressively, and he’s solid on both run and pass downs. I wouldn’t say Paea is playing poorly, but he hasn’t been getting the penetration I expected.

• jonevans511 - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Exactly. Big Bake has been playing really well.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM

I think the special teams snaps are more of a result of Paea not spending much time on the defense.

8. smotion55 - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Moses Matt Jones and Crowder are nice surprises and this year is an evaluation period for the GM.I don’t understand why Paea’s not performing as Pot Roast being 40 pounds over what he was supposed to be and very average at best right now. They need to stay with Cousins and find out if we need all new QBs.With the way people are getting hurt we might not have many to evaluate by years end anyway.

9. goback2rfk - Oct 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Ring… Ring… Ring…. Yes. Hello. Kai Forbaith could you please come and join your new team the Pittsburgh Steelers.

10. bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 10:50 AM

In case anyone noticed, there’s a big division game this weekend with huge ramifications. Does the Griffin faithful continue to root for the opposition? (Not all of them, of course.) Does Cousins bounce back? Do the Saints have a chance against the Cowboys? How about the Giants vs. Bills? What is the most likely scenario for the Redskins after this weekend: tied for 1st place in division, sole possession of 2nd place, tied for 2nd, tied for 3rd, or sole possession of last place? And are Griffin supporters really hoping for a Cousins implosion, a Cowboy victory; and the ‘skins being 1-3, 0-2 in the division, sole possession of last place, and two games behind the Cowboys?

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM

No one that wants Griffin to start over Cousins wants the team to lose, but we feel Griffin has proven over several years he gives the team the best chance to win.

There’s a difference between wanting the team to lose and thinking the guy we are starting isn’t the best player at the position on the team.

I disagree with Gruden, I think Gruden is a dud. I don’t think this team will consistently win with Gruden as its head coach. I think he got the job over more qualified candidates such as Darrell Bevell from Seattle who knows how to develop an offense for a mobile qb.

Gruden succeeded in Cincinnati because his qb was able to throw to AJ Green and other talented receivers not because Gruden actually did anything magical there, or Dalton.

Let Griffin throw to AJ Green, Mohammed Sanu, and Marvin Jones all game long and I’ll show you his 4,000 yards.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM

“No one that wants Griffin to start over Cousins wants the team to lose..”

Actually, Bawhaa or some such name posted those exact sentiments last week. At least it’s intellectually honest. As far as disagreeing with the coach and thinking that he isn’t right for the “franchise,” I understand those sentiments as does Baawha or whatever the heck his name was. Folks like him see the end game (getting Griffin back in the line-up and replacing Gruden) and opening root against the team hoping that produces the results they want. So you can either get on board with the coach’s approach, hope for his decisions to backfire, or complain like hell when anything wrong happens and ignore any positive improvements. You seemed to be behind the coach until the kicker was axed.

• colmac69 - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Thing is people on here can’t have it both ways

U want changes u need team to lose but u can’t then say I want team to win

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM

It’s really none of the above. I pray that Gruden gets this team into a perennial winner, but much like when Shanahan was our HC I don’t believe the team will win under their leadership.

I’ll love to be pleasantly surprised like I was in 2012, but I don’t expect it.

• ET - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM

I’m still undecided about Gruden’s dud status. You may be right about that.

But the DC receiving corps is not exactly chickensh!t. Other than some isolated mistakes (cough, Roberts), I don’t think any of our QBs can lay their issues at the feet of the WRs.

• hail74 - Oct 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM

I don’t agree with all the love that Bevell gets here. His offense is just as conservative as ours right now and even with lynch their red zone efficiency is horrible.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Just ask New England’s Butler how great Bevell is?

• hail74 - Oct 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM

I’m sure he likes him a lot more than Mama Lynch!

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM

We were conservative on offense in 2005, 2007 & 2012 and we won the division each year. The Seahawks made the super bowl two years in a row with mostly ground and pound.

The way our team is built is not to have a wide open passing attack like Gruden would like. We threw the ball 49 times last week including deep in our own end which led to Kirk Cousins’ first int and pretty much sealed the deal on the loss in the first half.

If we are conservative there and run the ball, we probably build up an 8 man front and can go play action on the Giants.

The skins needs to run the rock. They need to be conservative even if they’re down by a score. It’s really the only way we can win.

11. timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM

In the 17 games 12 starts that Cousins has played in he has 23 ints, 7 fumbles, and the majority of his incompletions thrown high or behind the WR. Some of those passes off by 5 to 10 yards! What’s most Concerning are the 20 passes that hit defenders directly in the hands and they dropped it. These passes look like they were thrown directly to the defender. It’s just dumb luck the defenders didn’t catch those potential ints. If they would have bin caught Cousins could very well have 50 turnovers. That is why people call him a turnover machine and think he is a bad QB. It’s not hate it’s Fact.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM

If you wanna know where that # came from get game pass and count them up. These are Not passes batted or the defender made a great play. These passes look like they were intended for the defender.

12. gurnblanstonreturns - Oct 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM

1. Crowder has some great upside. With Jackson out, Crowder should get more snaps on offense while Ross fields punts as well as kickoffs.
    2. The Eagles offense and the inconsistent Redskins promise to make Sunday another of this year’s riveting NFC East showcases.
    3. If Culliver is out, Bradford’s numbers will be really good.
    4. I understand the focus on interceptions due to Cousins’ history, but if this comparison is going to be made, then fumbles and sacks should be included: 2014 – Cousins was sacked 8 times for 70 yds and had 2 fumbles; Griffin’s numbers – 33 sacks for 227 yds and had 9 fumbles. Bottom line: Under Cousins, the offense looks like a pro offense with an inexperienced QB making mistakes; under Griffin, the offense looks like a Chinese fire drill.
    5. I love DHall, but it’s time to move on. A rebuilding team should find out about Breeland, etc. If Hall comes back, play him in the slot.
    6. Moses is a stud. I was upset by the Murphy pick, then stunned and elated when Moses was there at #66.
    7. Young is a playmaker who should get more looks, but you can’t overestimate his value on special teams which have been decimated by injuries and overall lack of team depth or the work he puts in on special teams.
    8. The snap count is surprising, but it will likely level out over 16 games.
    9. Jay Gruden is in over his head. If McCloughan doesn’t replace him, mediocrity is the best case scenario, no matter how good a job McCloughan does with the roster.
    10. Jackson certainly changes things for the offense. He is a legitimate threat every play. But, looking at the long term success of rebuilding the Redskins, Jackson’s age makes it unlikely that he will be with the team when the team is ready to be consistently competitive. Like with Hall, the future is in finding out about Grant, Crowder and Ross.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I don’t think finding out about the future and playing the older guys are mutually exclusive. This can be and should be done at the same time. No team can have a bunch of 25 and unders playing until they figure it out and “gel” together as a group. That doesn’t happen at the college level so why the hell would it happen at the professional level? Breeland gets the reps while Hall is unable to play – however long that takes – and the young receivers make a case for themselves while Jackson is out. All of the young pass catchers have shown some potential but what team is replacing it’s number one receiver with guys picked after the 3rd round – if they even were drafted. I hope Rashad Ross becomes the next Antonio Brown but no team grooms a guy to be that guy. Almost every roster has an Aldrick Robinson or Rashad Ross and most of those guys remain anonymous outside of their local markets. Bottom line: you can’t replace talent with potential.

• gurnblanstonreturns - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Thanks, bangkokben. I don’t think we disagree as much as it might seem. I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive either. Garcon and Jackson help in evaluating the quarterbacks, and players like Garcon and Hall can provide leadership and a great example to younger players. It’s just that I would err on the side of developing and evaluating young players in the first year of a rebuilding process. I think that fans naturally focus on right now and getting some wins – nature of the beast. But, this rebuilding project will take a couple more years if it’s done right, and it should be the primary focus.

• bangkokben - Oct 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Developing players is key. The how is debatable. I don’t think it necessary requires being active on game day and getting snaps at the expense of winning. At some point, you got to throw them out there and see if they sink or swim but this organization has failed just as much on the playing guys too soon route as much if not more on the not getting enough playing time. Bacarri Rambo, Philip Thomas, and David Amerson never should’ve been exempt from cutting their teeth in special teams. At the same time Jackson Jeffcoat is the only guy with speed on the edge and can’t get a look over high draft picks. He has ONE snap on defense this year. In the end, we have to trust that the coaches coach up the team. We certainly don’t HAVE TO but what else can we do?

13. goback2rfk - Oct 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM

My vote for most surprising is the lackluster performance of the Redskins pass rush. Kerrigan got that money and played the disappearing act. They are not getting to the QB which in turn is lowering the overall potential for Turnovers. Need some sacks bad.

14. abanig - Oct 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Knighton sucks at rushing the passer

15. Thomas williams - Oct 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM