Oct 2, 2015, 5:03 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, October 2, two days before the Redskins host the Eagles.
Ten Tandler Redskins ramblings
1. As I noted earlier this week, the Redskins gave Jamison Crowder a good run of playing time against the Giants. Apparently the coaching staff likes what they saw; he is likely to be in for more playing time going forward, per my man John Keim of ESPN and some others.
2. Eagles QB Sam Bradford hasn’t been very good getting the ball very far downfield. His line on passes over 10 yards: 7 of 25 (28%), 153 yards (6.1 YPA), 1 TD, 3 INT, 26.3 QB rating. Expect to see the cornerbacks playing tight coverage until Bradford makes them pay.
3. Even though Chris Culliver missed practiced on Thursday, the word is that he will be on the field come game time on Sunday. It’s more of a pain issue that anything structural with his knee. Players usually don’t miss games if the issue is pain.
4. With all of the talk of Kirk Cousins’ interceptions this year and how Robert Griffin III generally protects the ball better, it should be noted that Cousins had more touchdowns passes last year (10) than interceptions (9); Griffin did not (4 TD, 6 INT).
5. This is just a gut feeling, but I think that DeAngelo Hall will end up being out longer than the 3-4 week estimate we got from Jay Gruden. It would not surprise me at all if he needs surgery on it, which could end his season. Again, just a feeling.
6. The surprise of the season so far is Morgan Moses. Nobody was sure what his future was when training camp started. Having successfully rehabbed from a Lisfranc injury, he moved into the starting right tackle job as top draft pick Brandon Scherff went to right guard. In three games Moses has allowed no sacks and just two hurries.
7. Is the fullback disappearing? Darrel Young has played just 21 of the team’s 228 snaps this year. He remains valuable on special teams but he certainly would like to have a bigger role on offense.
8. Another player with a surprisingly low snap count is Stephen Paea. He’s been in for just 56 of the 177 defensive plays. That’s a pretty light workload for a player who got a contract worth $21 million over four years with $7.85 million guaranteed.
9. I’m sticking to what I said before the season—if the Redskins are improved this year, Jay Gruden’s job is safe. Despite all the talk about his itchy trigger finger Dan Snyder has yet to fire a coach after he improved the team’s record from the year before.
10. There is virtually no chance that DeSean Jackson plays against the Eagles, as much as he might like to. His hamstring pull was fairly serious and three weeks after it happened is too much to ask. Jackson admitted that his leisurely pace of rehabbing after his shoulder injury early in camp may have had something to do with his injury. He is approaching 30 (turns 29 on December 1) and he needs to figure out that you need to work harder as you get older, not rest on your laurels. Santana Moss figured it out, I’m not so confident that Jackson will.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:15; Jay Gruden, Sean McVay news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 12:45
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 2; Redskins @ Falcons 9; Redskins @ Jets 16
In case you missed it
- Not a ‘must win’ but . . .
- Injury update could spell more bad news for Redskins secondary
- Jay Gruden won’t rule out DeSean Jackson playing against Eagles
- Enemy Intel: Eagles’ line thin
- Injuries are testing Redskins’ depth, special teams
- Eagles appear to avoid using “Redskins” name
- Week 4 fantasy football rankings: Rookies get top billing
- Return TD could decide Redskins vs. Eagles
- Already a winner in Redskins’ competition at left guard?
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently