Oct 1, 2015, 5:25 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, October 1, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Philadelphia Eagles.
Read and react
Some quotes from Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins with my reaction to them.
Gruden on the situation at left guard: “We’re going to let them compete this week, let them get a lot of reps and see how it goes. Right now, I’d say Spencer Long has probably got the leg up, but we’ll see.”
React: Long is supposedly competing with Arie Kouandjio to see who replaces Shawn Lauvao in the starting lineup. But it looks like Long has the clear edge. Per a source, he took the majority of the first-team reps in practice. He will probably get the call but I wouldn’t rule out Kouandjio getting his shot at some point later this season.
Cousins on the two overthrows of Jordan Reed in the end zone in the second quarter against the Giants: “Yeah, I thought the first one Jordan beat him so much that a part of me said, ‘Don’t overthrow him. Just give him a chance,’ you know? When you win that much at the line of scrimmage, you start to try to aim it and try to give him a chance to just make sure it’s not overthrown. As a result, sure enough, when you start aiming it and not throwing it, it gets underthrown and the [defender] was able to recover . . . then other one to Jordan was a tough deal where the protection, the safety blitz got on me quickly and I wasn’t able to set my feet and let it go. And that was another one where you felt like Jordan had beat his guy and if the ball had been able to be thrown further out potentially could’ve been a touchdown as well.
React: If Cousins makes these two throws, there is not nearly as much conversation about his interceptions. It’s OK to throw some interceptions if you don’t let opportunitites for positive plays get away. That’s why we talk about touchdowns compared to interceptions instead of talking about each of them in isolation. If he learns from his mistakes, he’ll be fine. If not, well, it will be someone else’s turn on the Redskins’ quarterback carousel.
Gruden spreading the credit for the team only allowing four sacks in three games: When you’re talking about sack numbers, a lot of people want to point just to the offensive line, but really it’s the quarterback also. It’s throwing the ball on rhythm. It’s getting the ball out of your hands when there’s pressure. It’s tight ends in protection if need be if they’re chipping. It’s the running backs in protection. It’s the receivers going to the right depth and being in the right spot.
React: I trust that we all realize now that sacks are not the sole responsibility of the offensive line. A quarterback can prevent a lot of them. Last year, with a generally poor offensive line, and this year, with an improved line, Cousins has been among the better QBs in the league at keeping himself upright.
Cousins said that he went back and watched the film of his start against the Eagles last year: “I watched that game film this week and really it was I guess a pleasant surprise to see how far I’ve come since that game. It was a productive game offensively, but, boy, we left a lot of plays out there. I thought my footwork was pretty inconsistent. I thought some of my decision making or just my overall procedure of playing the quarterback position was inconsistent at times.”
React: Cousins completed 30 of 48 passes for 427 yards and three touchdowns in that 37-34 loss in Philly last October. It would not seem to be a game that a quarterback would look back and have the feeling that he should have done something better. It is good that Cousins can find things that need to be corrected even after an extremely productive game.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:40; Jay Gruden, Joe Barry news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 3 Redskins @ Falcons 10; Redskins @ Jets 17
In case you missed it
- Redskins need to learn resilience
- NFL considering weather options for Redskins game
- Spencer Long prepares to take over for injured Lauvao
- Cousins readying himself for rainy game vs. Eagles
- Three starters out of Wednesday Redskins practice
- How could Hurricane Joaquin affect the Redskins game on Sunday?
- The state of the Redskins, Week 4
- Report: Cooley will not sign with Giants
- Plenty of variables in Redskins QB situation
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is
- Why all options are on the table for Redskins' offensive line
- With injuries at cornerback, Fuller is the next man up for the Redskins
- Will DeAngelo Hall return to the Redskins in 2017?
- A lucky win for the Redskins? Or were Giants lucky to be in it?
- Need to Know: Redskins 29, Giants 27 by the numbers
- MRI reveals Redskins' DeAngelo Hall has completely torn ACL
- Su'a Cravens channels Chappelle Show in perfect postgame tweet after Redskins win
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke