Need to Know: Already a winner in Redskins’ competition at left guard?

Oct 1, 2015, 5:25 AM EDT

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, October 1, three days before the Washington Redskins host the Philadelphia Eagles.

Read and react

Some quotes from Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins with my reaction to them.

Gruden on the situation at left guard: “We’re going to let them compete this week, let them get a lot of reps and see how it goes. Right now, I’d say Spencer Long has probably got the leg up, but we’ll see.”
React: Long is supposedly competing with Arie Kouandjio to see who replaces Shawn Lauvao in the starting lineup. But it looks like Long has the clear edge. Per a source, he took the majority of the first-team reps in practice. He will probably get the call but I wouldn’t rule out Kouandjio getting his shot at some point later this season.

Cousins on the two overthrows of Jordan Reed in the end zone in the second quarter against the Giants: “Yeah, I thought the first one Jordan beat him so much that a part of me said, ‘Don’t overthrow him. Just give him a chance,’ you know? When you win that much at the line of scrimmage, you start to try to aim it and try to give him a chance to just make sure it’s not overthrown. As a result, sure enough, when you start aiming it and not throwing it, it gets underthrown and the [defender] was able to recover . . .  then other one to Jordan was a tough deal where the protection, the safety blitz got on me quickly and I wasn’t able to set my feet and let it go. And that was another one where you felt like Jordan had beat his guy and if the ball had been able to be thrown further out potentially could’ve been a touchdown as well.
React: If Cousins makes these two throws, there is not nearly as much conversation about his interceptions. It’s OK to throw some interceptions if you don’t let opportunitites for positive plays get away. That’s why we talk about touchdowns compared to interceptions instead of talking about each of them in isolation. If he learns from his mistakes, he’ll be fine. If not, well, it will be someone else’s turn on the Redskins’ quarterback carousel.

Gruden spreading the credit for the team only allowing four sacks in three games: When you’re talking about sack numbers, a lot of people want to point just to the offensive line, but really it’s the quarterback also. It’s throwing the ball on rhythm. It’s getting the ball out of your hands when there’s pressure. It’s tight ends in protection if need be if they’re chipping. It’s the running backs in protection. It’s the receivers going to the right depth and being in the right spot.
React: I trust that we all realize now that sacks are not the sole responsibility of the offensive line. A quarterback can prevent a lot of them. Last year, with a generally poor offensive line, and this year, with an improved line, Cousins has been among the better QBs in the league at keeping himself upright.

Cousins said that he went back and watched the film of his start against the Eagles last year: “I watched that game film this week and really it was I guess a pleasant surprise to see how far I’ve come since that game. It was a productive game offensively, but, boy, we left a lot of plays out there. I thought my footwork was pretty inconsistent. I thought some of my decision making or just my overall procedure of playing the quarterback position was inconsistent at times.”
React: Cousins completed 30 of 48 passes for 427 yards and three touchdowns in that 37-34 loss in Philly last October. It would not seem to be a game that a quarterback would look back and have the feeling that he should have done something better. It is good that Cousins can find things that need to be corrected even after an extremely productive game.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:40; Jay Gruden, Joe Barry news conferences and player availability after practice, approx. 1:30

Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 3 Redskins @ Falcons 10; Redskins @ Jets 17

1. colorofmyskinz - Oct 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM

As long as Snyder owns this team, and RGIII is in the roster, Snyder will continue to try to cover up the poor trade by placing unreasonable pressure on his coach to play him.

• Cal - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:12 AM

What RG3 have to do with this loser

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Scot Mccloughan publicly stated that he would not give up on a talented 25 year old in RG3 back in May. Scot has full control of the personnel that includes Gruden. If Snyder was covering this up as you stated then RG3 would be starting right now. Put the soap opera games to rest.

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:16 AM

I find it ironic that fans will come on here and say that the skins don’t develop players and don’t give raw players long enough to develop and point to Snyder as the main reason why.

Then, when certain fans talks about Griffin it’s the exact opposite. It’s that we shouldn’t be developing him anymore, we need to give up on him or whatever.

Total hypocrisy! Snyder and McCloughan are handling the Griffin situation correctly for once and they’re getting NO credit for it because some people hate Griffin so much because he’s not “politically correct” with the media.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:59 AM

All state id totally true! So many ignore the injuries, the coaching changes, and the amount of pressure placed on RG3 so early in his career. They act as if those factors either never happened or are just mitigating. It’s ignorance or hate or both.

I’ll also add that I don’t know if I’ll ever get over the FO for hiring Gruden. I’ll admit if I’m wrong later but he was a flailing OC that is even worse at his job as HC.

• hail74 - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:27 PM

I’ll agree with the sentiment but the fact is they have to develop more than just one QB. Why is it so hard to comprehend that sitting on the bench is the best thing for Robert right now? Give him time to learn a pro offense so that he can comfortably run it. Why is that such an injustice to him?

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM

It’s not hard to comprehend, I just don’t agree with it. Griffin sat on the bench for most of last season and once he got to play again vs Minn, NYG, Phila and Dal he played better in the pocket than he had in the Tampa & SF games.

Griffin knows what he needs to do, he just needs to play and face live bullets. That’s always the best way for qbs to learn.

• mr.moneylover - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:03 AM

It will be the most stupid thing to give up on a 25 year old who just got put in a bad situation after his knee surgery…jay gruden system is made for a QB like peyton manning and thats not what rg3 does best…plus its rg3 first year learning how to read defenses m. Supporting rg3 because he really havent played much in jay gruden system…its been the kirk cousins show since day 1 jay gruden never wanted to work with rg3

• redskingeorge28 - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:52 PM

I would think a high 1st round QB would already know how to read defenses. Pretty much says that RG was making it up as he went along, which is why when a play breaks down his first instinct is to run.

• darcrequiem - Oct 1, 2015 at 10:22 AM

This post has nothing to do with Robert Griffin, why are you bringing him up?

2. Cal - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:11 AM

these jokers really try to make Cousins look like a franchise QB every week no matter what

3. Cal - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:26 AM

How did I know that Long was gonna win this so called competition

4. abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:11 AM

“Cousins overthrows?” Those were under throws to Reed, not over throws on the two TD chances.

I sure hope Spencer Long gets the chance at LG and performes pretty well, then we can cut Lauvao next off season along with Roberts and pick up a true back up center and either a different WR or use that $ to find a better FS or OLB.

5. redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:27 AM

If you look at the brief history of Cousins in the NFL, I think it’s easy to appreciate how he is able to curtail sacks. Yes, the ball for the most part is out as soon as he finishes his drop back and sets. However, all the facts need to be laid out here. Kirk’s QBR is 43.6 and I’ll continue to state if the officials made the right calls then he’d only have one touchdown in 3 games. Just as Rich stated, if he was on target on some passes last Thursday, the interceptions wouldn’t have so much impact. However, it’s not just the those two failed pass attempts. There are missed and off targets all over the field throughout all 3 games. There is the one to Grant who has his man beat deep only to find he had to stall his route and turn towards his right should just to even make the catch. A decent pass in that situation would have led to a touchdown. Instead we settle for a field goal. So yes good for Kirk he keeps sacks down and in someways makes the linemen jobs easier. None of that matters though if the team continues to lose because the starting QB can’t hit open receivers that takes away offensive points and continues to be charitable to the opponent with early turnovers on the wrong side of the field.

I see others here using the struggles of other starting Quarterbacks to justify Cousins poor numbers. Well, there is a rookie Quarterback name Mariotta that has 8 touchdowns right now on fewer pass attempts than Kirk Cousins. Just saying, if you want to reach for other known QBs to defend Cousins….

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Ooops, I also forgot to mention that how many interceptions Mariotta has when compared to Cousins? 2 to 4!

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Boom! Mike drop Redskinsnameisheretostay!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM

I’ve bin on this blog commenting how Cousins throws High or behind the WR and hits defenders in the hands since he was drafted. He is just not all that accurate down the field. Yes once in a while he hits his guy but so did Akili Smith and Heath Shuler,

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:07 AM

I still remember your stat line on how many sacks were contributed to the offense line last season that went unanswered by the ones that wanted to blame most those on RG3. Sure RG3 creates his own sacks, I don’t deny that and I’ll add sometimes he looked completely lost in the pocket. However, most are too quick to overemphasize those flaws to a point of being outrageous in there claims. It transcends to RG3 being the only issue and cannot be fixed.

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:11 AM

This is a RIDICULOUS argument if it implies that Griffin hits receivers in stride and allows for them to make yards after the catch. True, Cousins has left yards on the field. Who is saying otherwise? What folks are saying – WHAT THE COACHES ARE SAYING – is that Cousins gives this offense a chance to move to ball, a chance to evaluate the rest of the offense, and – oh by the way – a chance to win.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Where did you read anything about Griffin? Why do you insist on bring Griffin into the conversation about Cousins performance?

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:23 AM

That’s why I said it was ridiculous if…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:22 AM

“Who is saying otherwise?”

Do you follow Gruden’s press conference? He pushed blamed away Cousins performance by suggesting players need to perform better around him.

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I heard him say other things as well..

• hail74 - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:31 PM

False, he also said there are throws that cousins has to make if he wants to be a starter in this league.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:24 AM

“is that Cousins gives this offense a chance to move to ball, a chance to evaluate the rest of the offense, and – oh by the way – a chance to win.”

That’s a three strike and out comment there. How is Cousins moving the ball? Most the of offense movement is coming from the running game. what the heck does statement 2 even mean. Chance to win? At 1-2 where we should be 2-1 and possibly could have won a tight one Thursday night with even decent QB play. How is he giving us a chance to win???

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM

How is Cousins moving the ball? Did you not notice that 3rd down conversions are up? Did you not notice that the vast majority of those conversions are completed passes? According to Football Outsiders, his performance is 13th in the league. That is HUGE IMPROVEMENT from last year’s three-headed monster.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Yes I know the 3rd down conversions but again the overall body of work is not good. There are still only 3 touchdowns thrown to 4 interceptions. I still will argue that we are giving far to many points to the opponent based on the production going the over way.

Of yeah I read footballoutsiders every day. However ranked 13th is more of a contribution to poor overall QB play so far this year. Is actual DVOA is -4.6%. this is not even an average number you want from your starting QB. Look I have to head out but I’d be glad to go into DVOA later. It is not a perfect calculation by any means. In many ways the more simple QBR is still a better indicator.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM

He is 24th in QBR

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 10:11 AM

No problemo.

We can agree on Total QBR, DVOA, or DYAR. It doesn’t matter to me. What it says is that we are getting average play from the QB position – or slightly below average – which is an improvement from last year. That with improvements on defense, the o-line, and the commitment to run the ball will yield more victories provided that special teams, TURNOVERS, and field position don’t derail those improvements.

Cousins is ranked 24th in QBR right now. Our opponents:
          Tannehill 28
          Foles 25
          E. Manning 17 (9th in both DYAR and DVOA)
          Bradford 32
          Ryan 6
          Fitzpatrick 22
          Winston 26

Time to make hay and string together some wins…or competitive losses.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM

“True, Cousins has left yards on the field.”

It’s not just yards left on the field, it’s also points!

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Points Forbath missed in FGs; Cousins missed in the Giants game? Yeah. Who is saying he’s perfect or a finished product? All I’m saying is let it play out before you make snap judgments. Sure, the Kirk Jerks didn’t last year, so you and your group feel compelled to pounce on every mistake – big or small. No one is saying he’s mistake free! But your whole post implies that there is a solution on the team staring us in the face. To that, I disagree.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:40 AM

If you notice I’ve not once suggested benching Cousins. I continue to support him as the starter at least into half of the season. I also have been firm on my desire to never see RG3 in Gruden west coast offense. I don’t think it will ever work and prefer as a football fan for RG3 to go elsewhere if we are stuck with Gruden. So you also won’t see me asking for RG3 returning as a starter here.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM

A chance to win? Cousins has bin the cause of some of our loses

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:48 AM

That is certainly one way of looking at it.

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM

The way I see it is that Cousins has been throwing “behind receivers” and has been under throwing receivers.

Yes, Griffin isn’t great at anticipation – because he hasn’t played a lot in a west coast drop back system – but Griffin doesn’t throw behind receivers as often and I don’t remember him under throwing a lot of receivers.

I go back to my belief that Cousins’ ceiling is like a Grossman. Great at running the offense between the 20s. Looks good for a while and then has a few turn cores at the worst time that costs you games.

I remain adamant that Griffin can be better than both in time, with more development as a pocket passer and if an offensive coach develops a system with plays in it that cater more to Griffin’s skill set.

They can keep trying to stick a round peg in a square hole with Griffin but at this point in his career it won’t work. Griffin needs an offense that uses some running elements as well like Bevell does for Russell Wilson.

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I don’t disagree with the ceilings of each player but just don’t think it is the most important criteria. I also think that Griffin can improve if afforded the time. As for him being late with anticipation, Griff’s outing against Houston last year was an example of him throwing late costing YAC. Maybe he waits for the big play but all he has to do is throw accurately AND on time. Even when he’s accurate, he rarely is on time; resulting in immediate tackles and check downs that result in three and outs. How many times this year have we seen Jordan Reed or Chris Thompson catch the check down short of the first down only to see them make the first down. Last year, that result was an outlier.

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:13 PM

I’ve seen Jordan Reed & Garcon catch a pass that was behind them and break a tackle – making a great individual play – and getting a first down.

I have seen Kirk throw behind Grant, Garcon & Reed on plays that could have been big gainers – possibly touchdowns – if they had been delivered on time.

In that respect, I don’t see that much difference between Griffin and Cousins.

The difference between Cousins & Griffin is the command of the offense and how comfortable Cousins is at being a drop back passer vs Griffin who currently isn’t.

If the coaching staff had half a brain and knew how to develop an offense around a mobile quarterback this team would be winning at a much higher rate and Griffin would be playing much better.

It seems to me Gruden’s agenda is to run his offense the way he wants NO matter what. No adjustments at all.

Similar to Chip Kelly and Shanahan, Gruden’s got a huge ego that I think is working against him in the long run.

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Your assessment of Gruden may be accurate. I’ve noticed Kirk’s inaccuracies but I’ve also noticed the results. I’ve seen the receivers help out Cousins in his inaccuracies but I’ve also seen Cousins’ timing helping out the offense. How many dropped passes does the team have? Is that just a result of pure luck or does it have something to do with the timing of the throws? Here are the third downs of the clinching drive against the Rams:

3rd and 13 at WSH 20
          (8:56) (Shotgun) PENALTY on SL-E.Westbrooks, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 20 – No Play. (Great hard count.)
          3rd and 8 at WSH 25
          (7:56) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to C.Thompson to WAS 35 for 10 yards (J.Laurinaitis).(Good timing; good YAC.)
          3rd and 5 at WSH 40
          (5:57) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short middle to J.Reed to SL 31 for 29 yards (R.McLeod). SL-J.Jenkins was injured during the play. His return is Questionable. 21 – Jenkins had a knee injury (Perfect timing a great throw allowing for maximum YAC.)
          3rd and 8 at STL 13
          (3:35) M.Jones left end to SL 4 for 9 yards (A.Ogletree). (Crazy call that is executed correctly and becomes the nail in the Rams coffin.)

Cousins managed the game correctly in crunch time clinching the game.

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Yay! Once in his professional life. We should all send Cousins a box of cookies

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:22 PM

No. Tangible evidence of improvement but just dwell on his mistakes if that helps you cope with the state of the franchise.

6. mr.moneylover - Oct 1, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Spencer long not only have to play good but he gotta do it every single game because I dont think they will think twice about putting arie kouandjio in the game…the only knock against arie kouandjio is picking up a block in open area when they run the ball but his pass protection is perfect they really wanna groom him this year so he can possibly take a starting roster spot next year

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Watching how the guards are used this year I’d have serious concerns about Kouandjio. He has bad knees and doesn’t move well which is why he wasn’t highly touted coming out of the draft. Maybe Callahan has done some coaching on the kid with this technique. However, I’d be really surprised he is ready to start in the NFL just yet. Callahan is not a witch doctor.

7. mr.moneylover - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Marcus mariota has the same skill set as rg3 and to see his coach ken wisnhunt adjust his playbook to marcus mariota says alot about jay gruden…Marcus mariota doing better then kirk cousins is mind blowing because kirk cousins is a 4 year player and in 2 games marcus mariota put up 20+ points game last week he put up 31 points but his defense was struggling…for this team to get better we need a head coach who can adjust and jay gruden is not willing to adjust his system he think kirk cousins is the answer all you can do is laugh now and hope they fire him later this year

• goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Marcus Mariota has similar skill sets as RG3 but not even close to the same skill sets. It is very obvious that Marcus is much better from the pocket. Mariota is a natural talent, a football player, a good decision maker.
      Rg3 is a track star, a runner, a athlete, and much less of a quarterback.

8. mauriceatwood - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:41 AM

In the NFL this game is all about front office personnel and coaching. All of these guys playing on this level are world class athletes and other than a few exceptions they are all on the same level. The Redskins problem is and will continue to be the coaching staff. During Snyder’s tenure as owner there have been two head coaches worthy of the position. They are Marty Schottenheimer and Joe Gibbs. None of the others, including Shanahan (in spite of his 2 super bowl wins), have been head coaching material in the NFL. The numbers and performance of the team over the years have proven this time and time again.

If the Redskins don’t find competent coaching then this will continue to be an up and down team with very little consistency other than losing records year in and year out. Great coaches make average players in the NFL, which is just about everybody with a few exceptions, great players by inspiring them to raise their game and perform when it counts most. Coaches like Gibbs, Parcells, Walsh, Belichick, etc. could get much more out of Cousins, RG3, and the rest of this team.

9. darcrequiem - Oct 1, 2015 at 10:38 AM

If Long turns into the player we thought he’d be at RG. We could have solid line for years to come. Kory would be our weakest link and he’s been solid at Center.

• kenlinkins - Oct 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Before this year I was not a big Kory L fan but I must say he has been balling so far this year. That is not to say he is ready for the pro bowl or that he has not been beaten but he has done some great work so far this year. I have been impressed with many plays I have seen out of him this year that last year would have been big trouble. I hope he can continue at this pace.

• darcrequiem - Oct 1, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I agree. I was tepid about Kory being moved to center but he’s done a good job. Heck before he hit IR, Lauvao was a bull in the run game. Callahan has done a really good job with our Oline. Reminds a bit of the good old days.

10. kenlinkins - Oct 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM

If you go back and read the draft profiles on Cousins you find that most have him as a game manager, strong arm, good foot work, on target at all levels, mobile to run boot legs (but will not out run many NFL players), makes good reads and has a fast release. INT’s , “flash” and “play maker when it counts” were a question mark and most had him as a high 2nd to 3rd round pick with the Seahawks as an interested party (seems that they missed that one). A solid starter to very good back up who will require a lot of talent around him to be successful. One said “He passed the eye test but I just do not know what is under the hood (i.e. how he handles failure, and out spoken leadership). One had him as “flat and unremarkable with no real upside, a coach’s son type that has pecked, but understands what scouts / coach’s look for in a QB and gives them only that”. Seems to me that the profiles were pretty good. IMO he is a “stand in” until the new GM can figure out how to get a winning QB in the starter position.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 1, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I hope he turns into something more.

But at this point, those are the results we’ve seen.

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Ken it seems like an accurate assessment. It also is the reason his detractors claim you can’t win a Super Bowl with him. I for one feel that the NFL has been and continues to transition from a league where a FRANCHISE QB is a must-have to a league where you need a strong team with good quarterback play from the position. The state of college football is not producing quality NFL QBs anymore and the lion’s share of the current group of “franchise” QBs will be retired before the next World Cup. Furthermore, unless your name is Brady, even franchise QBs rarely appear in multiple Super Bowls. Below is the current group of “good” quarterbacks and their ages.

Super Bowl winning FRANCHISE QBs:
      38 Brady
      31 Rodgers
      39 Manning, P
      36 Brees
      33 Roethlisberger
      34 Manning, E

“Franchise” QBs that have never been to the SB:
      33 Rivers
      30 Ryan
      35 Romo
      35 Palmer
      26 Luck

SB appearing QBs that fit in the “strong team with good quarterback play” category
      26 Wilson
      27 Kaepernik
      30 Flacco

Other QBs who get paid as if they are franchise QBs (multi-year deals averaging over eight figures):
      26 Newton
      27 Tannehill
      32 Cutler
      27 Stafford
      31 Smith
      27 Dalton
      27 Bradford
      26 Foles

One quarter of the league is getting good QB play from guys 33 years-old and older. Suffice it to say, we need to put our resources into the rest of the team. Cousins or even Griffin can get us to the playoffs if we improve the rest of the team.

• kenlinkins - Oct 1, 2015 at 2:05 PM

IMO, you sir are 100% correct. Well stated.

• ET - Oct 1, 2015 at 4:09 PM

I may have quibbles with one or two groupings, but your basic theory is sound. Bottom line, the elite QBs are aging out and quality of production from the younger group is much diminished.

It’ll be interesting to see if this sparks a wholesale change in offensive philosophy, or whether teams will continue to burn time and resources in search of the increasingly rare “franschise quarterback.”

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM

“It’ll be interesting to see if this sparks a wholesale change in offensive philosophy, or…”

Exactly! Offensive coordinators may get creative and bring some college elements but for the most part the game doesn’t translate due to the comparative athleticism in the NFL and the hashmarks being in the center of the field. That wide side of the field in college really allows for athletes to get more separation.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Manning seems to be doing well running the Pistol

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Manning seems to be doing well running the Pistol

• colmac69 - Oct 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM

Decent post there

What annoys me the most on here is the people who are desperate for gruden/cousins and rgiii when he plays to fail at every opportunity. …can’t wait to criticise

This team has holes all over the place….however for first time in yrs we have a gm who actually has track record in building sides up to b competitive at top end….I think two/three yrs we will have side which we can all get behind

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:13 PM

“I think two/three yrs we will have side which we can all get behind”

And by that time, the quarterback landscape will be radically different.

• goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM

I think 2 or 3 years and we should be in the playoffs possibly playing for the NFC championship.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 1, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Cousins’ current teammates would disagree about the leadership part.

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Colt McCoy is best qb at leadership on the team. That’s not really debatable.

• ET - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Colt will make a better NFL quarterbacks coach than NFL quarterback. And there’s no shame in that.

• bangkokben - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM

That is completely debatable. Until that comes from ANYONE with credibility it’s just like anything else on the blogs or sports radio – pure fan speculation.

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:23 PM

It’s obvious when you watch Colt vs our younger qbs and when you listen to colt in the media that he’s got leadership qualities he was just born with.

He was a great leader at Texas and if he hadn’t gotten hurt, I think he wins a national championship over Alabama. Colt is a great leader. I think the guys on the team would run through brick walls for him.

He’s a better leader of men than our head coach.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM

If you’re impressed by Colt’s leadership from hearing him in the media, we have very different ideas of what that is. He has no authority in his voice, more of a soft, southern drawl. Oh, and then there was the “we had protection problems” quote after the Rams game last year that got buried.

• Rich Tandler - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM

It’s highly, highly debatable. Highly.

• kenlinkins - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM

Rich: I haven’t read much about Cousin leadership since the Redskins became his team. How is it working out and what is his style? Does he have the locker room?

• goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:58 PM

My name is not Rich and you don’t want my answer, however, it looks like Cousins commands authority when he is in the huddle and I also noticed a couple of clips of him barking at some teammates. i think he has the leadership qualities and certainly more than Rg3 ever did it is also his 4th season so he kind of has some experience to fall back on

• abanig - Oct 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Interesting, I don’t remember people complaining about Griffin’s leadership in 2012.

• goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 6:11 PM

People only complain about things when your not a winner right?! If you are a looser there is plenty negative to talk about. Rg3 was a winner in 2012 so we did not point out his flaws. Now that he a a big looser its open season on Rob. That’s just how the NFL goes. oh well
          Rg3 is going to be back sometime somewhere and i wish him the best.

11. goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Rich Tandler that is a good post there. Definitely ranked as one of your better posts for the week and spot on.

I remember that Eagles game that Cousins was talking about and thinking at the time, ” Oh my gosh, Cousins has a chance to set a passing record.” What is ironic is I remember that game as being one of Cousins finest as he kept us in the game against the fast moving and high scoring Eagles. We lost however could have easily been blown out.
    I did not consider what we would be saying about Cousins if those 2 Reed passes connected which is a good point and had not thought of that. I hope they did deep this week and pull out that W. httr

• Rich Tandler - Oct 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Thanks for the good words, RFK!

12. goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 9:35 PM

Jason La Canfora announced that the Redskins will be playing the Eagles Sunday. Looks like this one is going to be a battle of the trenches. And hogs love mud. Should crush the Eagles and Sam Bradford

• goback2rfk - Oct 1, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Britt McHenry announced that Jackson will not be playing Sunday and he is quote “Not even Close” and could be out longer. Thats a big bummer

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:08 AM

The Redskins have the Hogs? Hmm, that’s news to me

13. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Oct 1, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Josh Scobee is turrrible. Maybe Tomlin should give Kai a shot.

• abanig - Oct 2, 2015 at 8:13 AM

You think the Redskins regret on trading down in the 2014 NFL draft?

Tuitt had better stats last night than Murphy has had all year.

Tuitt had 10 tackles (amazing for a 3-4 DE) last night and 1 sack. Archives