Sep 27, 2015, 5:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, September 27, seven days before the Redskins host the Eagles.
Five areas where the Redskins have improved this season
The Redskins are 1-2 and what they have done wrong has been discussed and rehashed in great detail. But they have been doing some things right and at this point, just under a fifth of the way through the season, the numbers are beginning to take on a degree of statistical significance. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Third down conversions—The Redskins have converted 44.4 percent of their third downs, compared to a pathetic 31.5 percent last year. Their rushing game has helped but even against the Giants, when they struggled to run, they converted at a 40 percent clip (6/15).
Opponent passer rating—Last year even average quarterbacks played like Ben Roethlisberger against the Redskins as they had a 108.3 passer rating against them. This year they guys they play against are more like Derek Carr. A 96.3 rating isn’t quite where they want it to be but it is a significant improvement.
Points allowed per game—After giving up 27.4 points per game last year, nearly a touchdown per quarter, they are down to 19.7. Their current average ranks eighth in the NFL.
Sack percentage (offense)—Kirk Cousins has plenty of flaws and the offensive line still has to gel but between them they are doing a much better job at avoiding sacks. Last year the Redskins were sacked on 9.6 percent of their pass drop backs. This year the rate is 3.6 percent. That has undoubtedly helped them with their third down conversions (see above) since they don’t have as far to go.
Red zone scoring—The Redskins have scored a touchdown on 66.7 percent of their red zone possessions. Last year they punched it in for six from inside the 20 just 47.9 percent of time.
—Today’s schedule: Off day
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 7; Redskins @ Falcons 14; Redskins @ Jets 21
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Redskins key to the game—A big day from Cousins
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - Duke Ihenacho opens up about playing time and Mexican food
- Redskins' Josh Norman planning celebration that puts NFL in awkward spot
- Injury report: Cravens a full go in practice but status for game still uncertain
- Redskins one of the best in NFL at preventing long plays
- Redskins without two key offensive players at Thursday's practice
- A few plays here and there could have led to different results for the Redskins
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins shuts down report he's affected by criticism: 'Not accurate'
- DeAngelo Hall appreciates Brian Mitchell's response to Stephen A. Smith on Redskins comments
- Kirk Cousins has apparently never said a bad word in front of Jay Gruden