Sep 25, 2015, 6:51 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, September 25, nine days before the Redskins host the Eagles.
Notes and numbers from Giants 32, Redskins 21
—After rushing for 343 yards in two games, the Redskins couldn’t get it going on the ground. They gained just 88 yards on 20 carries, a 4.4 average per carry. But their performance actually was worse than that. Their last carry of the night was a 26-yard draw by Chris Thompson on the last play of the game when the Giants were in a Hail Mary prevent defense. If you take out that run the numbers are 62 yards on 19 carries, a sad 3.3-yard average.
—Rashad Ross had a perfect too little, too late moment with his 101-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. The scoring return did break a streak of 75 consecutive Redskins games without a special teams touchdown. That had been the NFL’s longest active streak of games with no special teams TDs. It would have been nice if it had meant something but the game was well out of hand by that point in time.
—The Redskins had a stranglehold on the time of possession in their first two games, holding it for over 37 minutes each game. They held it for only 28:30 today. The Giants managed to give them a dose of their own medicine by sticking with running the ball. They had 31 rushing attempts even though they averaged just 2.7 yards per carry.
—The Redskins defense didn’t play poorly overall. But over the last two games they have a combined one sack and zero takeaways. They got away with producing no game-changing plays on defense against the Rams. The team couldn’t survive the inability of the defense to give a struggling offense a short field to work with.
—Today’s schedule: Off day
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 9; Redskins @ Falcons 16; Redskins @ Jets 23
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?