Sep 21, 2015, 5:14 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, September 21, three days before the Redskins travel to East Rutherford, New Jersey to play the Giants.
Redskins vs. Rams news, notes, and numbers
—The Redskins rushed for 182 yards against the Rams, following up gaining 161 on the ground last week against the Dolphins. This is only the third time they have opened a season with consecutive games with over 150 yards on the ground. The other times were 1952 (I don’t even remember that year) and 2012.
—The rushing yardage is allowing the Redskins to control the clock. For the second straight week they had over 37 minutes of possession time. The last time they did that was in Weeks 2-3 of the 1992 season.
—Matt Jones’ 39-yard touchdown run was the Redskins’ longest scoring run since 2012. I think most of you remember that 76-yard RG3 run against the Vikings.
—As of this morning, based on a small but not meaningless sample size, the Redskins are No. 1 in the NFL in both rushing yards and in total defense.
—It was a good day for new kicker Dustin Hopkins. He booted a 46-yard field goal and kicked off five times. Four of the kicks went through the end zone. One was returned but that kick was eight yards deep and it was returned to the 20. It’s only one game but Hopkins gave the Redskins exactly what they were looking for when the made the change from Kai Forbath.
—Jay Gruden said that the Redskins would not use last year’s 24-0 loss to the Rams as motivation for today’s rematch. But not everyone listened. Trent Williams was asked about it and said, “I watched the whole thing last night.”
—”I understand people got us ranked [No] 32,” said DL Ricky Jean Francios .”Please leave us there. These guys in the locker room believe something else.” (h/t Master Tesfatsion of the Post)
—Today’s schedule: Practice 4:14; Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice.
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 3; Eagles @ Redskins 13; Redskins @ Falcons 20
In case you missed it
- Running away with it
- Redskins follow the blueprint in win over Rams
- Rams coach compares Redskins O-line to one of NFL’s best
- Redskins’ dual running backs situation a good problem to have
- Gruden happy with Cousins ‘efficient’ play in Redskins’ win
- Alfred Morris, Matt Jones emerge as “2-headed monster” for Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- New RedskinsTalk Podcast - Injury trouble emerges after Giant win
- Redskins Playbook: Lots of moving parts with injuries on O-line, secondary
- Redskins forced to shuffle interior O-line again
- Redskins Hopkins named NFC special teams player of the week
- The Sports Junkies on Odell Beckham Jr.: 'He's a wreck'
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: Washington runs its way to victory
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety