Sep 8, 2015, 5:39 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, September 8, five days before the Washington Redskins open their season against the Miami Dolphins.
Five Redskins who will be in the spotlight vs. the Dolphins
—QB Kirk Cousins: When Jay Gruden said, “It’s Kirk’s team” the unspoken thought at the end of it was “as long as he plays well.” Playing well in the opener would buy a lot of capital for him to use if he should struggle down the road. If he stumbles he will be spending some good will that is in short supply.
—RB Alfred Morris: If Cousins is going to be successful a strong running game will be his best friend. The vast majority of the rushing yardage will have to come from Morris. He is adjusting to a new scheme and a new line. If he struggles, Cousins’ chances for success against Miami’s tough defense drop dramatically.
—RG Brandon Scherff: He will be tasked with controlling Ndamukong Suh, a tall order for any guard and especially tough for a player in his first NFL game. Scherff will get beaten; Suh can win against just about anyone. But if he can maintain his technique and hold his own more often than not he will have gotten past probably his roughest assignment of the year in the very first game.
—DE Jason Hatcher: He is as healthy as he has been since he came to Washington. They need a wild card in the pass rush against Ryan Tannehill in case Ryan Kerrigan can’t get going. The Redskins didn’t get the season they were looking for out of Hatcher last year and he needs to get off to a strong start this time around.
—FS Dashon Goldson: The veteran acquired by trade from the Bucs was not very impressive in camp. If they Redskins are going to be methodical on offense against Miami the defense has to avoid giving up big plays. A lot of that responsibility falls on Goldson, the last line of defense.
—Today’s schedule: Player meetings at Redskins Park, no availability
—It’s been 254 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 5 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Rams @ Redskins 12; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 16; Eagles @ Redskins 26
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins survive behind makeshift offensive line
- Redskins win, but await status of multiple injured players
- Five things we learned from the Redskins win over the Giants
- Report: Redskins' DeAngelo Hall was told he'd torn ACL, MRI scheduled
- Redskins get first win, capitalize on turnovers to edge Giants 29-27
- Odell Beckham Jr. fights kicking net, loses
- Injuries to Lauvao, Lichtensteiger force strange shift on Redskins offensive line
- DeAngelo Hall out after being helped off the field with knee injury
- Josh Norman lifts and carries Odell Beckham in the endzone
- Breeland out after suffering early ankle injury