Need to Know: Five Redskins starting jobs that could change hands this season

Sep 6, 2015, 5:11 AM EDT

Shawn Lauvao vs Jags

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, September 6, seven days before the Washington Redskins open their season against the Miami Dolphins.

Five starting jobs that could be up for grabs this year

Although there could be some juggling around the edges in the coming hours, the Redskins have finalized their 53-man roster. They also have their starting lineup set but, like the roster, there are some changes possible. Here, however, they will take place over the next couple of months, not days. Here are five starting jobs that cold change hands at some point this season.

Quarterback—It would be great if Kirk Cousins could hold on to the job the entire season. But unless he has managed to turn around his interception problem there is a good chance that Robert Griffin III and/or Colt McCoy will start at least a few games. In fact, a change could be made without Cousins really doing anything wrong; a losing streak could prompt Jay Gruden to make a change to light a spark.

Left guard—Shawn Lauvao had a decent camp and he’s better than most fans give him credit for. But the coaches are high on rookie Arie Kouandjio. It would take some struggles by Lauvao and outstanding performance in practice by Kouandjio but the rookie could move in at some point this season.

Right outside linebacker—That is up for grabs now; it is very possible that Preston Smith will be in for the first snap against the Dolphins. But Smith and Trent Murphy are likely to go back and forth with the starting role and probably will end up playing an equal number of snaps.

Cornerback—Chris Culliver will start 16 times. But I’m dubious that DeAngelo Hall, who will turn 32 before Week 11, will stand up to the pounding of 1,000 snaps or so. I think that Bashaud Breeland or perhaps David Amerson will be in the starting lineup before Hall blows out the candles on his birthday cake.

Strong safety—Duke Ihenacho pulled away from Jeron Johnson and won the job, aided by a hamstring injury that sidelined Johnson for some of camp and part of the preseason. But Ihenacho has issues in coverage and Johnson will get some snaps with the defense. That could give Johnson an opportunity to prove himself over the course of the season and grab the starting job.

Today’s schedule: Practice 10:40 a.m.; Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice.

—It’s been 252 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 7 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Rams @ Redskins 14; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 18

174 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. hk2000 - Sep 6, 2015 at 5:57 AM

“In fact, a change could be made without Cousins really doing anything wrong; a losing streak could prompt Jay Gruden to make a change to light a spark.”

That would be the second year in arrow the coach searching for fixes in the wrong places. Any chance HIS job changes hands?

• hk2000 - Sep 6, 2015 at 6:44 AM

Sorry about the Typo *in a row*. PS to Rich: Would you consider giving us the ability to edit or delete our comments? Thanks.

• brucefan1 - Sep 6, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Funny, I saw nothing but “in a row” when I read your comment the first time, hk ! Ain’t it wonderful how the human brain will often figure things out without us even realizing it.

(And ain’t it rotten how our spellcheckers often DON’T! LOL! That’s why I’m with you 100% about being able to delete and then repost corrected comments!)

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:30 PM

robert is going to have to help free himself by renegotiating his contract to make it trade friendly. a flat out cut makes no sense. if he doesnt want to be buried on the roster, this will be a necessity.

• brucefan1 - Sep 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM

FREE RG3! ;^}

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:15 AM

So you don’t want RG3 on our team????

• brucefan1 - Sep 6, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Tim wrote; “so you don’t want RG3 on our team????”

Not if the speculation that Gru’s just gonna bury him on the roster, third string, maybe not even letting him practice for fear of injury(too much? Hehe) until he walks away AFTER the season? Hail no!

Got too much of a sense of fairness, not to mention a (very subtle?) affinity for Griffin, to want to see that happen to him — or anybody. (I also most wonder if the NFLPA might not protest if Griffin was buried like that. But I doubt there’s any precedent of ANYONE burying a player in this manner, so it’s just a “wonder” on my part.)

Now if’n we find out that RG is cool with his role, and that’s he’s actually in the Skins’ mix, is allowed to practice fully, gets a chance to be used in games, can avoid being a target of media poison darts, (and especially if he gets an public endorsement from McCloughan — cuz he’s the guy I trust) than I’ll say keep him around. Of course, it will still probably be for THIS season only.

But if gonna be kept in a deep dark limbo, or constantly be a focal point of controversy, set him free.

(Never had a “second” team. It might be fun to adopt one!)

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM

You sound like more of an RG3fan than a Redskins fan. So I have to ask are you a Redskins fan because of RG3 or are you like me a Life Long Redskins Fan who was ecstatic that we got RG3?
          I mean it’s great if you became a Redskins Fan because of RG3 and like the Team but if you are Just an RG3 fan I can’t see how you would have an unbiased opinion.

I as a Redskins Fan look at it as the GM is letting Gruden name the Starter (wich is Grudens Contractual Right) so he can evaluate Gruden. If the Team fails under Grudens decision he will be gone and a New Coach that will play to RG3s Strengths will be hired….Art Briles????? I’m convinced that the Reason RG3 is on this team still is because of the GM . If it was up to Gruden he would be gone.

Like the GM said “You don’t give up on a player with that much talent this early” The GM has a plan and it involves RG3

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Finally something we agree on! I see him having quite the career as a party organizer when he is released by the Skins.

• shermanp79 - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:07 AM

I totally agree !! What is the plan, develop a QB or win as many games as possible??? Granted we all want the latter but you have to let Cousins develop if playing well or we will never move forward to know if he can play. We know this team is building.

The problem, is Grudens job security being tied to wins, It should be about this team showing improvement. You yank QBs if they are playing poor, not for a spark. If he is playing well, then, as you said there are issues elsewhere. I don’t fault him for last year. The whole RG3 thing was out of his hands. Even the final 3 games. (which then I thought you put Cousins back in) it came from above but it at least made some sense even if you disagreed. Now it wouldn’t, exercising that option has created HUGE risk. His development seems non existent, even though they tried to spin everything in a positive light.

Ride Cousins the whole way!! See if he can improve. If he fails, we need a new QB.

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Are you guys a bunch of ticks? Rich put it out as a POSSIBILITY and this bunch has latched onto it like it’s a fixed certainty at some point in the season. Why don’t we voice our outrage if and when that happens?

2. skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 6:58 AM

All the hype over Trent Murphy and his added weight, strength, speed, blah blah blah… struggling to hold a starting position with a rookie pressing him. There’s a player not likely to get a 2nd contract out of the team.

• Johnny B. - Sep 6, 2015 at 7:45 AM

I think Murphy will grow into the position. REMEMBER this is only his second year and coming out of college he was good against the run. He is getting bigger and better. Smith the rookie is a good pass rusher but not so good against the run. Between the two of them alternating downs. The right side will be fine.

• Capital Defense - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Murphy’s knock was his lack of strength coming into the league. He is also better suited with his hand in the dirt all the time. Those two things are not happening this year, a change of scheme and him being NFL strong with take at least 3 years.

• shermanp79 - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM

We will find out how good he can be but even if only a back up, he could still see a 2nd deal. Look at Golston on DL (9yrs)

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Agreed… But I’ll go even further to say that he shouldn’t have even made the 53 man roster… Not only was he out performed by Preston Smith he was out performed by Jackson Jeffcoat big time & even undrafted rookie Houston Bates… The guy didn’t record one damn sack & didn’t have many tackles… Maybe he should bulk up more & try his hand as a DE where not many sacks are expected from a 3-4 DL & run stuffing counts

• Johnny B. - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Sorry he was out played on pass rush but in the run game he out played them. He is getting bigger and better.

• rtcwon - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:10 PM

I see a platoon happening with Murphy in base for run downs and Galatte (now Jeffcoat) coming in as the pass rusher. The rookie may see some snaps but despite what Rich says, has a long ways to go before challenging for either role.

3. Johnny B. - Sep 6, 2015 at 7:48 AM

4. smotion55 - Sep 6, 2015 at 7:52 AM

I did not think Riley was any better than anybody else in the middle -he still can’t cover- and Matt Jones if healthy mid season might get a start or 2 being he has better than average hands

5. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 6, 2015 at 8:14 AM

Has Amerson shown that he can be trusted with starting at CB again?

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:43 AM

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM

I believe you meant to say, “Heck no.”

• mr.moneylover - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM

He got bullied most the preseason..he paying for not taking the game serious…coming out of college he was focus and hungary now he fallen way behind in his development to become elit hes most likely a bust because he basically took a year off missing film study over sleeping etc.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I am surprised he is not cut immediately. Amerson gets burnt like my toast every morning.

• berniebernard666 - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM

trade Griffin and Amerson to the Cowboys for an 8th round draft pick immediately.

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:34 PM

agreed. if he shows what he showed against Steve Smith a few more times, I am sure he will be canned. that was rough. dude got played like a doll.

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM

As soon as Bashaud Breeland gets back from suspension Amerson will be sent packing… U can count on that like a calculator

• berniebernard666 - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM

I said it last week. The Redskins have a MAJOR problem holding on to draft picks. For some reason just because they drafted Amerson with a 2nd round pick, Just because Spencer was a 3rd round pick, Just because Griffin was a 1st round pick…..they can’t let go. It happened with Jason Campbell…it happened with Michael Westbroke… happens with THE REDSKINS all the time. They only want to get rid of coaches for some reason.

• ET - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Amerson still has potential—it’s not hard to see why the coaches remain unwilling to cut him. That said, it’s hard to feel confident with Amerson back there, especially with uncertainty at free safety. It’s unclear how well the secondary can work together to fixes lapses and blown assignments.

• rtcwon - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:13 PM

I only remember Amerson struggling when they tried him at the slot.

6. smotion55 - Sep 6, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Where are all the TE on waivers we were going to get 1 from. Is their actually 1 out their or do we use Compton as blocking TE all year in your short yardage.

7. mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Can we please contact Seattle and make a strong play for a well worth it Free Safety like Kam Chancellor !!!

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Kam Chancellor is a strong saftey but I love the idea

• mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM

My fault Strong Safety , if we could package one of ours for a draft pick it would make a mediocre secondary better .

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM

I wish we could, I would love to see him out there . . . but I think the cap hit would be to sick to comprehend. I think we hav like 8m cap space right now, at least thats the most recent number I recall . . . dude is wanting to get paid. I wonder how much cap room the Giants have?

• mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Giants have about 11.3 million under the cap .

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Won´t he be very expensive?

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Yes. However, he would be a major upgrade and it’s not like Seattle will give him away for a 6th rounder.

• mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 1:44 PM

He would be a major upgrade to the secondary and worth a high draft pick . He would bring the “Sean Taylor ” feeling back to the secondary . Or should I say fear !!!

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Obviously an upgrade. I was just wondering how realistic it is to be able to land him. Would´t about 31 teams have an interest in Chancellor if he leaves Seattle?

• mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM

The Giants have already expressed interest. Skins should at least try . I feel with Scot it could be realistic . For a high draft pick it could happen and we’ll worth it for that talent . Truly work taking a shot.

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Oh I´m all on board with it. Just trying not to make myself overly optimistic here.

• mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Yes Sir , I agreed . I get overly anxious.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 6, 2015 at 7:20 PM

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell Seattle let’s him walk. Even if they did, why would he want to come to Washington? He would be a huge upgrade and is worth the investment. He’s a franchise type player with a lot of good football left in him. A guy like Cam Chancelor can change an entire secondary. But yes, too many other teams would have interest in the trade market and Washington just doesn’t have enough to offer. We’re going to need our 2016 first round pick to find a new QB, and Cam is worth at least a first.

• mac7163 - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Yes no doubt he is worth a 1st. Not many if any are willing to give up a 1st rounder even with his talent . A QB or RB maybe . I would say at the most a 2nd rounder with a conditional pick the following year. 1st no . The Skins would still have to sign him .

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Great idea maybe trade Jeron Johnson & a 3rd & 6th round pick for Kam Chancellor….

8. Capital Defense - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Amerson is not taking anything from anybody, frankly I think he is done and should have been cut.

9. mr.moneylover - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:39 AM

I totally agree, its most likely another change at QB will happen because look at the schedule the first 4 games dolphins,rams,giants,eagles…rg3 need to take this time to get his self ready to play after week 4…kirk cousins havent shown me he change his ways he still throw them risky passes that get picked off he could’ve easily had 2 ints and no touchdown in the ravens game lucky Jamison Crowder was there to catch the tip ball…if we gotta play ring around the Quarterback again for the second straight year jay gruden will be fired because more players will lose faith in him its already been said by ryan clark its a small group of guys in the locker room that dont trust jay gruden decision making the number will grow after this season it get bad like last year

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM

I hate to pull the race card but I swear that it seems to me Gruden doesn’t care to much for minorities IMHO…. Proof to support my opinion is Trent Murphy is starting opposite Ryan Kerrigan with no sacks & very few tackles in the preseason… I mean Trent Murphy was out played by everybody… How is he even on the roster let alone starting

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM

That’s not the race card. That’s the stupid card.

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:37 PM

love it. good one.

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM

You obviously love to pull the race card or you wouldn´t be doing it. The entire team is full of black guys. Where do you even get this garbage?

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM

U & bangkokben must b white

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I agree, Cal. It’s a racial thing. And going with Cousins over Griffin, come on. Griffin is the best QB in the league. You should have your own blog, Cal, because you are clearly the brains around this joint man. I could really get behind somebody with your leadership skills and intellect. Shoot me a private message with the sign up info, B.

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM

So u agree that Murphy should b starting after his preseason performance??? And when ur dumb ass say yes explain y… Then look at his stat line from last year up until now & tell me if ur dumb ass makes any sense… Preston Smith & Houston Bates have more sacks than Murphy in a preseason as a rookie than Murphy has in 2 with a full NFL season under his belt… Jackson Jeffcoat has triple the sacks with a pair of Int’s to go along with that in limited action & I saw Jackson in on some special teams action… So again I ask loud mouth y is Trent Murphy even on the 53 let alone starting… The only reason I can see Gruden starting him is bcuz of his race bcuz he performed better than only Gallette & Ryan Kerrigan my fault them 2 didn’t play a snap in the preseason… And b4 u say I’m on some racist shit I said Kedric Golston should get the boot too.. Bcuz he was out performed for the NT job by Robert Thomas & his special team prowess that everyone keeps mentioning wasn’t on display either in 4preseason games Golston the special teams ace only had 2 tackles… It’s about putting the best players on the roster to help the team win

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:21 PM

OK I don´t know what language this is. Try again with less cursing and non-words and I´ll try reading it.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, Cal. You need back down from the ledge, Yo. I said I was witcha, dog. Chill. Still waiting on that private message.

• bowlregard - Sep 6, 2015 at 1:12 PM

That’s the kind of nonsense that should get you kicked off this board.

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM

totally agree. sick of it.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Wow cal, wow. I mean, really? I don’t understand all the Murphy hate to begin with. Stop looking at stats and go watch the games. He played well, especially setting the edge against the run. He’s not great in coverage, but he’s ok. I don’t have any more confidence in Smith, Jeffcoat, or even Houston Bates in coverage than I do in Murphy. Ok, he didn’t get a sack in a vanilla pre season defense; but how many QB hurries did he get? He got some pressure. You guys are judging the other OLBs off meaningless pre season games. Murphy could afford to take it easy and save his body for the regular season, his roster spot was safe, Smith too. But the other guys, they had to go out and give it their all to even have a hope of making the team. I’m very high on Trent Murphy right now. Not that I necessarily believe he will ever be an elite pass rusher, but he does a lot of things well and I expect him to get a few sacks this year.

Oh, and as far as the race card, Gruden put Bates on the practice squad (white guy) and Smith on the team, even though Bates had more sacks. Stop being ridiculous. Murphy had the most experience out of all these guys, and that’s important. It would be foolish to cut him this early into his career. Plenty of pass rushers struggle their first year, almost all of them. All the good OLBs, go look up their rookie sack totals. And don’t say this is Murphy’s second year, because it hasn’t started yet. Let him get a few games under his belt before you go there.

• mr.moneylover - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM

@cal…I agree that trent Murphy shouldn’t start….hes probably dont wanna believe that trent Murphy is a bust yet…but im already on the record saying Preston smith and jackson jeffcoat out played trent Murphy in the preseason

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Being on record for saying he was outplayed in the preseason is one thing and something I could agree on. Although, it is the preseason and so what? I’m on record saying that Plummer outplayed Will Compton and Spaight in the preseason. Saying the head coach is a racist because a white OLB, 2nd round draft pick from a year ago is ahead of rookie 2nd rounder and a journey man pass rushing specialist is categorically stupid.

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Listen to yourself… OK I agree whole heartedly that Terrance Plummer performed well especially on ST as did Martrell Spaight & if u read my post on Friday concerning the 53 man roster prediction u would know that not only did I have 3 QB’s listed… But I also had Plummer, Bates, Will Compton, Spaight, Jeffcoat all listed to make the
          roster bcuz of their ST play a
          weakness of this team… I even had Murphy on the roster keeping in mind that he’s a 2nd round pick & cutting him while he’s due so much against the cap is dumb… But now to go deeper into logic with u clowns that just love to talk… Do u understand a 3-4 defense??? Do u know idiot that the DL is only there to stuff the run or make the RB change direction so any sack for the DL is a huge plus & the DL is supposed to create pressure on the OL only to free up lanes for the the real blitzing threat the LB’s…. It is obviously clear that Trent Murphy can not do that bcuz he has no sacks/tackles for loss in 4 preseason game seeing significant action… So again I ask y would u & ur uncle Jay Gruden start him over the 2nd year journeyman that claims to be a pass rush specialist/proved his pass rushing skill or the 2nd round pick that your GM went out & spent another 2nd round pick on a 2nd year in a row that has done better than ur so called most improved/breakout player of the year… Riddle that smart ass u know so much… If Murphy was running around recording sacks like Kerrigan or Clay Matthews I wouldn’t have shit to say… But since he isn’t & the GM didn’t believe in him enough to spend the teams 2nd round pick somewhere else I’m questioning the decision to list Mr. Not 1 Got Damn Sack as the starter… So as I said earlier I hate to pull the race card here… But

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Look, cal, that’s stupid talk. If you’re going to claim race as a reason then you better have REASON. What you have is only your perception of preseason play. PRESEASON! (say it like A.I. says practice). You’re not with the coaches during the OTAs, the practices, or preseason. You have very little knowledge of what the assignment is of each player when they’re on the field. Let alone

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Do you really think Gruden tells Joe Barry who starts on defense? You’re just connecting a whole bunch of dots that aren’t there. So just because you’re holding the stupid card, doesn’t mean you have to play it – same goes for the race card.

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM

@skinsgame I was talking to u… I was talking dumb & dumber skulb & bang-cock-ben… But u know I’m serious about this stuff… Honestly I think benching Griffin was a good idea RG3’s career… Gruden wants a drop back passer & that is not RG3′ strength… So let Gruden have it his way… I honestly hope the Kirk wins games buz I’m a die hard Redskins fan my mother is too… But this Jay Gruden guy is out of control… I just wanna see this team win… Is Cousins good hey he can move the ball & that’s a start but will he turn the ball over my prediction is 2/3 times a game at a crucial moment… This simply isn’t the type of offense RG3 will excell in… The call him RGme what has ever done that suggested that he’s a selfish player??? What he won’t take blame for the offensive line not holding up long enough for the play to develop or is it that he doesn’t agree with the offensive play calls & doesn’t act like he’s excited…. Tell me a head coach that doesn’t run the offense based on the QB’s strengths that’s a recipe for winning… U go to the QB & u say hey Robert I know u said u want to drop back more & run less but look that’s not really working as fast as ur gonna end up injured so what we’re gonna do is go back to what ur strengths are & continue to work on the drop back work… Becoming a drop back passer is gonna b a working progress & doing the stuff that u did in college is gonna help us win games with u under center… So RG3’s struggles are solely on Gruden the coach for not letting the player know that it wasn’t working… Gruden planned this duck shit… And he wanted RG3 to struggle so he can slip Cousins/ McCoy in… But u can count on this like a calculator RG3 will be here the remainder of the season no way the team eats 6.7m in cap
          Space to cut RG3 & when Cousins fucks up he’ll go back to the bench McCoy will then come in & when he doesn’t get the job done Gruden will be out of D.C. there is no team out there that’s willing give up a 1st or 2nd round pick including a solid starting caliber player let alone a slew of picks… And he’s not leaving the house for nothing less

• Rich Tandler - Sep 7, 2015 at 7:55 AM

@cal, Clean up the language, be civil, or you’re gone.

Have a nice day.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Cal, the 3-4 you explained depends. There is the one gap and two gap 3-4. The you are referring to is the two gap. Bowers the team shifted to a one gap 3-4. More critically it’s a 3-4 under with Trent playing the Sam spot that is the tertiary player for getting sacks and pressures. The primary should be Kerrigan’s spot and Hatcher playing the one gap inside of Trent. Also Paea will play the two gap on the other.

Try researching the team and defense more before playing the expert on the 2-4

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:54 PM

First off dumb bitch… Not only is Jackson Jeffcoat a sack specialist he’s also great in coverage… He created more pressure on the QB than Murphy bum ass & even had an interception… Not only did he lead the team in sacks but in tackles also & I do know that Houston Bates is white & yes I agree he should’ve the roster over Murphy… As far as Preston Smith goes he had 3 sacks at least he got to the fucking QB… I heard this quote on NFL network today… They said do ur job, do it well & do it consistently…. Murphy has not done either… 4 preseason games only 5 tackles, no sacks, no INT’s, no passes defended… So again I ask Mr. I watched the film he set the edge on what… Point blank period he shouldn’t b starting… If u want to.e in the pocket slide over to
          Trent Murphy’s side he can’t
          catch u LMFAO… Stupid fucks…
          I’m high on Trent Murphy yea I bet u r & u were high when u watchedthe film too… The world we live in today… Trade that
          P.O.S to a 4-3 defense team for a 4th round pick set the edge on that… And the reason Houston Bates didn’t make the roster is because he didn’t out perform Jeffcoat, didn’t do much better than Smith (only sack more) & u got the bum Murphy the 2nd round pick that he did out perform holding up a roster spot… My predictions for Murphy the most improved player 3 sack season a half sack more… Aye watch the film… LMFAO don’t talk to me fool… Everyone knows the key to a strong secondary is a strong pass Rush & Murphy doesn’t help that cause dummy

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 1:41 AM

Cal, you’re truly an idiot. If you know Bayes is white then why bring up the race card? Because you have no idea what you’re talking about, that’s why. Also, ever consider that the GM is making the roster decisions and not Gruden? Because that’s how it works on most teams. Or they at lease come to the conclusions together. But I guess you’re a better talent evaluator over Gruden and Scot. Based off 3 pre season games. A GM from your couch and it’s people like you that remind us all why not just anyone can do that job. There’s more to being an OLB than sacks. Just like there’s more to being a TE than catching the ball. Murphy probably won’t ever be an elite OLB, but they should have known that when they drafted him. He doesn’t have the speed to be like Jouson Houston. You can’t get mad at apples for not tasting like oranges, that’s just not what they are. Murphy is a very servicable OLB. The run defense is a big point of emphasis for this defense and he is fantastic against the run. He’s also still developing. Some guys who are a bit slower eventually figure out a good enough technique to be quite good pass rushers (like Kerrigan) but that takes time and experience. The guy has only played a rookie season, it’s too early to know the verdict on him. Remember what everyone said about Trent Williams after his rookie season? That we should cut him and go with Will Smith? The same Smith who just got cut. Thank god inpatient idiots like you don’t get to make any real decisions.

You also ignored my point about how Murphy didn’t have to go out and risk everything in the pre season because his roster spot is secure and guys like Jeffcoat and Bates did. Also, most, if not all, of those sacks came against guys who will probably never even see an actual NFL field during the regular season. So calm down a little. There was a lot to like about Murlhy and Smith in the pre season. Stop looking at stats and watch the guys on the field. You should be happy that we had two guys like Murphy and Smith to step up when Gilette went down. You also didn’t tell me how many QB hurries Murphy had. Since you like stats so much, I thought you might know.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Cal, I have no patience for terms like “dumb b—h” and “stupid f—s”. I don’t have much time to go through the comments so this is your one an only warning. If you’re not civil, you will be banned.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

• Johnny B. - Sep 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM

I think you are an idiot you have to protect against the run and the pass. Murphy is better against the run he sets the edge very well. Now his pass rush is getting better but not great. Jeffcoat is average in both areas but he is getting better and he wants it. You will see him play this year but just remember Jeffcoat was going against 2nd string most of the time and? Murphy was with the 1st. If you switch them Murphy would look better than Jeffcoat.

• cal - Sep 7, 2015 at 12:01 AM

@bangcock u sound like a damn fool… And that’s y A.I. found himself playing in Turkey for not taking practice serious… U play as hard as u practice… Practice makes perfect garuntee Murphy will slip in the rotation eventually… Remember the world is watching… We’re talking about practice not an actual game but practice c’mon man practice

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 1:54 AM

Oh and Cal: I missed your post where you explained to all of us lowly fans what a 3-4 defense is, so I just have to backup Redskinsname and tell you that you’re wrong. Like he said, you described a two gap 3-4. Barry, and the defensive players, have talked non stop this offseason about how we are awaiting to a hybrid one gap 3-4. Where the linemen don’t just fill gaps but are also responsible for pressure. The hybrid part means, in part, that we will even run some 4-3 front. That’s where a guy like Smith becomes extra valuable. That’s also why Hatcher, Paea, Knighton, and Francois will be so important when we look at sack totals at the end of the year. They have to have a linebacker they can drop back in coverage on some of these plays and be relied upon to set the edge against the run. That’s Murphy. It would be crazy to consistently drop Kerrigan back into coverage and not have him rush the passer. I haven’t heard you say anything about Murphy’s coverage skills except that he had bad hands. Well, he’s a linebacker, so, yeah. I’m not overly concerned with him making interceptions but more with him making sure the other team doesn’t catch the ball if he’s dropped in coverage.

I’m also curious. How many sacks would Murphy need to make this year for you to be happy with him? Assuming Kerrigan hits double digits again and the line contributes more sacks (as they should) I think 5-6 is a reasonable number for Murphy to show improvement and that he deserves his spot. Unless Smith absolutely explodes and gets 8-10 himself. Even the. Though, I think you would have to agree that Murphy would be a great rotational player. For depth of nothing else. But what would be a good number for you?

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM

I honestly believe that RG3 will be on this team in 2016 albeit with a renegotiated contract… Gruden will be fired & of course u know Cousins will probably sign on somewhere else may be in Atlanta with Kyle Shanahan as OC… Trust that Snyder will buy out Gruden’s contract after Capt. Kirk fails to produce… Then he will hire either Art Briles someone that know RG3 or Darrell Bevel the OC from the Seahawks that’s worked closely with Russell Wilson & Scott McCloughin knows

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 1:09 AM

Cal: Just a couple comments as a huge Redskins fan and current Baylor student.

1) Art Briles isn’t going anywhere. He’s already compensated very well and has a ton of leverage to make more if he chooses to ask. He’s a damn God in Waco and almond Texas high school football coaches, players, and fans. There’s no reason for him to give that up to go roll the dice in the NFL and risk his reputation on a completely dysfunctional franchise.

2) RG3 isn’t even guaranteed to stay around this year yet alone in 2016 or beyond. Briles, or any coach, would be silly to take a job based on RG3 being present in Washington for the future.

3) Art Briles is a amazing college coach. He’s offensively innovative and great at recruiting, specifically in Texas. However, I don’t think he would translate well to the NFL. College and Pro football are two very different games. Even the guy many would say is the best college coach, Nick Saben, couldn’t hack it in the NFL (Remember when Steve Spurrier came to town?). Briles’ spread offense wouldn’t work at this level. Chip Kelly has had some success and even the Pats have run some spread but they’re different than college spread offenses. I’m not sold on Chip Kelly the GM, but he’s a very good coach to figure out how to evolve his offense from what worked in the NCAA to what works in the NFL. I love Art Briles, but I don’t think he’s that guy. He’s a high school football coach who took his talents to Baylor and it worked out. But a lot of that had to do with RG3 showing up. He rocketed that program into relevancy and helped recruiting more than I think most non-Baylor fans realize.

4) and last, I don’t think that would be the right course of action anyway. Going back to a read option/spread/pistol offense is a step back and probably won’t work like it did in 2012. The NFL is constantly evolving, systems get figured out and trashed every year. You have to evolve with the times or get left behind. I have no problem with say, Tennessee, making an offense that sprinkles some read option/spread/pistol concepts in with a traditional NFL offense to help ease a guy like Mariota into the game, but it has to be a stepping stone to help transform his game. That’s where Washington messed up. We took 1 year of fantastic QB play over taking some lumps and developing RG3, and we broke him in the process. He stunted his grown, destroyed his confidence, and tore his body. It’s very had for pro athletes to get their confidence back after they lose it. Just ask Tiger Woods. RG3’s issues are mental, and due to his locker room leadership. Even if we ran the exact same offense that we did in 2012, that RG3 no longer exists. And I’m not talking about injuries, I’m saying in his head. He wasn’t a perfect passer, but he anticipated throws and threw a beautiful, on target, deep ball. He also had way more of a sense when the pocket was breaking down and could dance around behind the line of scrimmage, avoid the sack, wait for a receiver to get open, then throw the ball. That’s not on any highlight reels, you have to go back and watch all the games to see it so many have forgotten it, but he used to do that. He might be able to recapture some of that, but I sincerely doubt he can in Washington. There’s just too much baggage. I’m a huge RG3 fan, but it’s time to move on. Support Cousins until he proves he’s not a quality starter (which hopefully doesn’t happen, I truly hope he succeeds) and then draft the new face of the franchise next year. That’s the best option.

10. Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM

What´s the definition of an “interception problem”? To some people here it will probably mean anything above zero interceptions in 2015 when it comes to Kirk. I think an average of 1 pr game would be OK. 24/30 and one pick I would have no problems with, and that is good enough to win games if the rest of the team shows up. So 16 +/-2 or something like that for the season.
    But when it comes to interceptions, Griffin was 5/7 TDs/INTs last year. Doesn´t that qualify as an interception problem as well? So even if you replace Cousins for this problem why would you put Griffin in when he has the same problem, and about ten other ones as well?

• mr.moneylover - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Rg3 dont turn the ball over nowere near as much as kirk cousins does…rg3 never had 4 ints in a game and he never had 7 in a game…kirk cousins is a young rex grossman you gotta take the bad with the good…he said he dont like the pressure of playing the QB postion when there is always gonna be pressure bein a starting QB in the NFL…if you believe in kirk cousins get ready to have your heart broken

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM

If you add the fumbles in Rg3 probably comes close to Cousins in total turnovers. Rg3 averages slightly more than 1 fumble per game.

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM

I posted the source earlier this week. Of all the quarterbacks (46) that have had at least 500 plays from scrimmage in the past two seasons, Cousins has the highest turnover percentage of all of them. One out of every 29 offensive plays. This is interceptions and fumbles combined. He is behind EVERYONE who qualifies, including Cutler, Schaub, and even Griffin.

This is history. He may have improved. Maybe the touchdowns he puts up will offset the turnovers. I had thought it was Shanahan’s offense since every QB other than Griffin averaged two turnovers a game with ol’ lobster face but Cousins turnovers continued with Gruden and Griffin’s turnovers increased. Bottom line, whoever plays QB with the Redskins has to protect the ball better.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM

He doesn’t lose those fumbles. A turnover is when the other team gets the ball so the fumbles are irrelevant. If you want to count them then let’s also Count all the balls that Cousins throws that bounce off the defenders hands. If you count them also Cousins is well over 5 a game

• me4gm - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I agree goback2rfk. The fumbles and sacks ! Positive statistics from Robert largely jump balls to DJax and bubble screens. A good QB has to consistently hit intermediate throws. Cousins threw a lot of int’s but you can’t be afraid to pull the trigger either. He showed the willingness to try and to trust himself to fit the ball into tight windows this preseason. He is able to keep his eyes downfield and sidestep or move up in the pocket. Too easy for defences to read Robert. He is too mechanical… maybe trying to be too perfect. Rocket arm and still huge potential but the coach, to keep his job , needs W’s . Wish it was Robert but right now it honestly isn’t.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Well done Bang!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM

me4gm, maybe you need to look at Cousins QBR after he throws an interception.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Time right, Griffin doesn’t lose the fumbles. I mean, the team moving backwards with the ball and avoiding all of those pesky scores is what we like here. Getting the offense off the field is what we like and Griffin was second to none around here for that.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Skinsgame, why is it you post when you only provide sarcasm that is full of bias notions? I mean I only see you attack RG3 even when all three QBs struggled under Gruden offense. The same offense that put one of the worst running team one the field that we’ve seen in a very long time. That says a lot for a team that hasn’t had a winning tradition since the early 90s. i don’t see you make any comments at all unless it is attacking one guy on this whole team. Really what credibility do you have as a fan when all you want to do is focus on one player as the problem with a team full of holes?

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Well he´s still the best QB on the team, so we don´t have any choice right now. A few interceptions with a QB that gives the team a chance to win is better than endless sacks with a QB who doesn´t.
        Also, conflating Rex Grossman and Kirk Cousins and presenting Rex quotes as if Kirk said them is just lame man.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:56 AM

A 2 TD to every 1 INT is a great marker for productivity. So I would like to see Cousins have around 30 TD’s this year with around 15 INTs. To me that would be great.

• ET - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM

If Cousins can manage that stat line, the offense will exceed expectations. I think we’d all be stoked. It’s pretty optimistic, but not completely unreachable.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Cousins with Luck like numbers? Well its hard to imagine right now but if that is the goal you set for him then good LUCK with that.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Cousins should easily be able to put up those numbers or he is not a starter period. Last year even Eli Manning went for 30TD / 14INT Kyle Orton , Ryan Fitzpatrick all of those guys had 2xTD – 1INT seasons.

If Kyle Orton and Fitzpatrick can do it than Cousins better be able to do it.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM

That’s a valid point, goback2rfk! Cousins has yet been able to go beyond what 3 games as a starter before becoming a disaster for the offense? This is something he’ll have to prove in this regular season. I do think there is the ability for Cousins to be a starter in the NFL but if I was to place a bar on his abilities then Kyle Orton about where I see him.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Having a 2:1 TD:INT ratio is meaningless, anyway. This overlooks the fact that INTs are more costly than TDs are beneficial in football.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM

That is partially true. But statistically in the NFL if you do not have at-least a 2TD – 1INT ratio it is a strong marker for you suck. Lets take a look at the QB’s last year that did not meet the 2TD : 1INT ratio.

Brian Hoyer, Andy Dalton, Jay Cutler, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, and there are a couple more.

The good QB’s in the league very rarely do not have 2x TD to INT’s. Therefore, unless Cousins wants to get put on the list above he better sling it. And only sling it to the burgundy and gold.

• ET - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM

No, it’s not meaningless. But it is just a rough measuring stick.

All stats require context. An interception or TD thrown in garbage time doesn’t have the same impact as a throw that changes the momentum of the game, yet we still look at these numbers in aggregate for players across the board.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM

I’ll change the word “meaningless” to “overrated and misunderstood”.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I can at least see that some are compromising here.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:04 AM

No, it doesn’t; and certainly not in comparison to Cousins. No rational person simply uses raw number of lNTs or TD/INT ratio (an irrelevant stat for INT tendency) in order to make that assessment.

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Yeah I´m not wasting any more time arguing with you btw, so you can quit trolling.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM

How about *explaining* and *defending* your argument instead of accusing people of trolling? Go ahead.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:57 AM

May I ask you. Did you formally go by the name of ‘John Greene’ on this blog?

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Skulb when challenged runs and hide just like a Nancy Boy

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:24 AM

It’s not so much that Cousins turns the ball over as to when he turns the ball over… And RG3 does turn the ball over but a large part of his interception problem was bcuz he was taken out of his element… He’s a spread/option QB that very different from being a drop back passer… He doesn’t understand the drop back passing concepts or knows what he see’s as far as the defense goes… For him it’s like trying to smoke an electronic cigarette after smoking regular cigarettes for 20 years

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM

cal posted: “It’s not so much that Cousins turns the ball over as to when he turns the ball over…”

Except in extreme cases (e.g., sec’sonds before the end of a half), there’s little evidence to show that *when* an INT takes place has a significant effect on winning football games.

I was talking more about INT tendency, and using raw INTs to show this (which you shouldn’t do). As a simple example, think about the difference between a QB who throws 10 INTs in 10 dropbacks and a QB who throws 10 INTs in 100 dropbacks.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM

The one aspect of your position here Hogs I’d reconsider is the touchdown to INT ratio. Now understanding a good defense is needed to give veracity to that ratio; it can be an important ratio to apply. Luck is considered elite because he has produced enough scores to offset his interceptions. Now also considering that not every interception results in points for the opponent then interceptions in this scenario certainly can be excused. However, you are not an elite QB unless you are posting plus 30 touchdowns and below 10 in interceptions.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Oh, I agree with that; but I wasn’t talking about TD:INT ratio in general. I was talking about having a *2:1* TD:INT ratio. INTs cost a team 45 yards of field position on average; TDs are +20 yards on average (the original research can be found in The Hidden Game of Football; stat sites have built upon that research).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM

That’s an interesting statistics on net yards – I’ll have to look into that one more.

• cal - Sep 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM

My point is every body has a bad game I saw Breeze, both Manning’s, Brady & even Rogers have multiple interception games… But they still find ways to win sometimes they lose but win more often then they lose… When I say Cousins turns the ball over at crucial moments I mean like Redskins ball 2 minutes or less on the clock ball on the Redskins 40 Kirk throw a INT… Isn’t that how it happened in 2012 after the magical 7 game win streak that RG3 put together that took the team to the play offs & won the division… Isn’t that what Capt. Kirk did threw a last minute interception… Ok rest my case

• squawonthewarpath - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Cal…You mentioned the magical 7 game winning streak in 2012 and how RG3 put it all together? You must have memory loss because as I recall it at least 2 of those games were won by Cousin’s. Griffin was injured during the Ravens game in week 14 and did not play at all week 15.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Polian doesn’t think a west coast offense is good for RG3. This I have to come to terms with being true. This is why they should let the kid go and play with a coach capable of have the ability to adjust his offense to his abilities. Gruden is not that coach and is forcing his hand by starting Cousins and potentially chucking aside an elite QB.

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM

some nfl coach willing to do a spread offense with no playbook should fit the bill. He cant run anymore. The NFL is on to the pistol, and he cant work a pcoket . . . what kind of system is out there for him?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM

16 plus INTs is only excusable if they come with over 30 touchdown passes. Look at Lucks numbers and which I recall being 18 INTs last season. The QB better be putting up some damn good numbers on passing yards and touchdown passes if you want to find 16 INTs as acceptable. It looks like you are already trying to build a case for Cousins interceptions this season before they even start to materialize.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:51 AM

I think the INT problem scares many people. I mean Cousins got thrown to the bench like a highschooler last year. Now he goes from third string to starter. You know the other QB’s on the team must be bad when an INT machine beats you out for the job.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:37 PM

So are you suggesting Gruden made the right choice? He had three shots of getting the right QB starter last season and failed each time.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Actually I think RG3 should start the season to 100% determine that he still sucks or not. I thought Rob would have had a chance to start the season before he was benched for lack of performance. If they benched him already there must be no hope for him which is why I am surprised he is still on the team. They could have kept Houston Bates and got rid of RG3.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:57 PM

Well I agree that RG3 had one last chance to prove he can be productive this season under a Gruden offense. However, I think we already lost RG3 by selecting that coach. He has the potential to be an elite QB but he needs to be working under a better coach. The front office has stuck us with this coach for at least a few more years so let’s see how things work out if RG3 is released and given a chance elsewhere. Let’s see if our team can even sniff the playoffs in the next few years while RG3 moves on to another team.

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM

He looked solid in the pre season, and I wasn’t at camp and OTAs, apparently the coached saw the greatest potential of running the offense with him . . . otherwise, why would they change? Oh right . . .it’s a conspiracy.

• squawonthewarpath - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM

Perhaps it is time for all of us Redskin fans to face the harsh and stark reality that NONE of the 3 quarterbacks on the roster are starters in the NFL.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 1:15 AM

My issue with Kirk isn’t so much that he thrown INTs as how he reacts and performs after. Luck has thrown more INTs than TDs in the post season and I think he’s amazing. But it’s because of how good the rest of his game is and how he responds after an INT.

There’s no reason Cousins can’t grow and solve this problem. He’s going to throw INTs, just like every QB. But we have to reserve judgement on him until we see how he responds to it. Cousins deserves a fair shot. I’ve spent the last few months being convinced it was possible for RG3 to have developed over this offseason and be much better than he was last year. It’s only fair to assume the same could have happened with Cousins.

But the reality guys, is that there’s a very good chance that we don’t have a single starting QB on this roster. We’re all bickering over guys who have frankly underperformed at every turn the last couple seasons. We’re arguing over who is the best of the worst. It’s kind of silly. I’m more than willing to support Cousins, give him a fresh slate, forgive a few early mistakes, and judge him off the progress he’s made this offseason. But let’s not kid ourselves, there’s a very good chance none of these guys deserve to be starters and will be back in 2016.

11. skip36 - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM

As far as RGme is concerned their’s more than interception problems with him it’s being sacked,reading defenses,being pressured into trying to scramble& not stepping up into the pocket & aware of where his reads are in all his confusion & that why he uses time outs so much, needlessly, Now on the other hand Captain Kirk even though he hasn’t played a lot with the first string offense during the preseason since there was no real competition at the QB because RGme was name the starter by Gruden & Co. he has done better than RGme even with his short time with the first string offense, no sacks, reads the defenses better, & his aware of his surroundings, gets rite of the football quicker & as time goes on will get better in all faces of the game & what the coach wants from him, GO CAPTAIN KIRK HTTR

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM

You don´t understand: Kirk´s “interception problem” is the last straw the Griffin cultists have left to cling to. If they let go of that they will sink. Denying all of Griffins endless problems is necessary for them to be able to cling to their last straw, so we have to be careful around them so we on´t push them over the edge.

• berniebernard666 - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM

all I know is the Redskins have never scored on dump off passes and sacks and Griffin is a MASTER at both.

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Right, but you´re forgetting that those are everyone else´s fault. Gotta keep up with the narrative I mean.

• bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Oh contrare, my friend (au contraire mon frere). We scored on a dump off to Roy Helu before the end of the half last year. it was a two-minute drive run entirely by dump offs – and it worked – probably shouldn’t and we still lost the game but an outlier nonetheless.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Griffin was the only QB known to throw the dump off pass more than Jason Campbell. There is a graph at an exhibit in the Museum of Natural History about it.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Dumpoff passes or not, a pass has to help a team gain yards, and gaining yards per pass atttempt has never been Griffin’s issue.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 1:17 AM

Yeah I’m remembering at least 5 times we scores on dump off passes. I’m not arguing for Griffin, but don’t talk out of your ass.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Skulb posted: “You don´t understand: Kirk´s “interception problem” is the last straw the Griffin cultists have left to cling to. If they let go of that they will sink. Denying all of Griffins endless problems…”

The irony with this statement is that you deny the biggest issue that has plagued Kirk Cousins. Putting interception problem in scare quotes doesn’t eliminate the fact that, historically, the downside in Kirk Cousins’s game has been in avoiding INTs.

This is why your posts have zero credibility, Skulb.

• Skulb - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Like I said, not wasting any more time on you. I´m sure anyone with any understanding of football can make their own decisions regarding who does and does not lack credibility around here. They don´t need you making pompous declarations.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Skulb posted: “They don´t need you making pompous declarations.”

For once, you’re right. No need to explicity state an obvious truth.

And I’m still waiting for a counterargument. Do I really need to point out the issue of using raw INTs as a means to show INT *tendency*?

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Cousins has had what, 9 NFL starts? and you are ready to write him off as an interception machine? Griffin has had three years worth of starts (less injuries) . . . and is getting worse . . . McCoy looks like a solid back up . . . I’d roll with Kirk at this point. check out that option. makes total sense. Robert currently looks like hot garbage. Maybe he will swing around again, but I kinda doubt it.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:23 AM

More of your “Nancy Boy” variety of football that doesn’t actually exists. You can’t even apply correct football terminology to most your bogus assessments on football.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:21 AM

No doubt RG3 has issues working in the pocket but there was never enough game situation to compare Cousins and RG3. The biggest fault RG3 has is his durability. This has been his crux since he arrived. As for Cousins if you just like other drama queens here failed to balance out your assessment of the two quarterbacks. Try including
      1) Cousins failed to played with and against starters very long during much of those performances
      2) Cousins threw an easy interceptions to Suggs who clearly outsmarted him on the pass. So he gave three points to the starting unit.
      3) Cousins threw a pass into coverage that was fortuitously tipped into Crowders hand. This was a poor decision under duress. Yes Cousins did every thing before the throw but when if ends in a potential INT then all that was done right has well been undone.
      4) Cousins numbers only improved against the Ravens when they took their starting defensive players out. The first scoring opportunity the team had was just over 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter. Obviously Ravens felt they seen enough work on Cousins to not have to continue with the first team barely beyond the 1st quarter. That is pretty telling to me.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:15 PM

“The biggest fault RG3 has is his durability.”
        I think you’re overlooking the more obvious fault of his inability to learn absolutely anything from week to week. If he threw the ball quicker, he could better avoid his frequent injuries. If he moved in the pocket, he could better avoid his frequent injuries. If he could slide, he could better… well, you get it.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM

These things can *help* with avoding injuries, but injuries are a tricky aspect of football to figure out.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:34 PM

He released the ball quicker in the Detroit and that was pointed out by Keim. However he had faults towards the end in moving into pressure. I’ve point this out many times. The issue is folks like you that can’t see the improvement or even give the guy to try and prove himself in the regular season. Again, you didn’t see the complete picture or refuse to.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Refuse to see what picture? I don’t care what you “point out many times in the past”. You have the same credibility as the rest of us. You saw improvement? Good for you. I didn’t. Good news for me is, neither did the people who count.

• TheHogs - Sep 6, 2015 at 4:19 PM

Griffin did show improvement if we go by the rough stretch he had last season (Bucs and 49ers) to the end of last season (Giants, Eagles, Cowboys), during which he played like an average 2014 NFL QB. Those games have much more significance than limited dropbacks in preseason games.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM

To the one is endless denial on RG3..

Hear no improvement, see no improvement, speak no improvement – Look it up

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 1:25 AM

It’s crazy to me that everyone keeps saying Cousins obviously looked better and should have been given the job to start so he could have got more starter reps in camp. Am I the only one who rememberes EVERYONE said RG3 looked great in camp and like the best QB on the team? Report after report came out that RG3 looked sharp and Cousins and McCoy were struggling. Now, obviously it matters a lot more how they perform in games, but they gave the guy who performed the best the job. Now, I personally don’t think we saw enough of RG3 in the pre season to truly judge his progress, but I could say the same about Cousins and McCoy. None of us will really know until we see Cousins put in a couple regular season games. But please stop saying Cousins far and away looked like the best. We all saw a very limited window of play from all 3 of these guys compared to the work they put in during OTAs and Camp. Just, relax, Cousins has the job now. Quit bickering about it and wait for him to actually play before you hang your hat either way.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:43 PM

I am sorry Kirk you have an interception problem

12. Chris williams - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM

I feel like the coach did rg3 wrong they cleared the quarterback to practice and play and took his starting roll away from him the quarterbacks should have a battle for the position the coach try to be crooked the quarterback should have had a place where he can get out the pocket and making play and play in the pocket and outside the parking onto he get constable instead the coach robbed rg3 of his position I understand the injury but you still should have gave him a chance to prove himself I smell a rat it shouldn’t be a black and white thing if that’s the case Jay Gruden is wrong the coach should stand up and be a man it is a team sport not one person sports.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:10 AM

This should all work itself out in time. Gruden is not the most ethical coach out there. If Cousins fails then it will be more harmful to his career than Cousins. Let him dig himself into a grave if that becomes the case. It may be the only way to get him out of here. However, if he proves the contrary then we all should support his move and focus what is best for the team and not any one player.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Punctuation. Crucial.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Punctuation is not crucial. If you think that way then stick to reading the main page instead of comments.

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM

It’s crucial if he wants anyone to read his 500 word essays. Anyone outside of yourself, that is.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Do you mean anyone with the attention span beyond an 8th grade?

• skinsgame - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM

I don’t know what grade your in, young lady, and I couldn’t care less.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 4:34 PM

For someone who finds punctuation crucial; you sure can use some work on YOUR grammar contractions.

13. berniebernard666 - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM

ATTENTION: there will be a Griffin Cult Member intervention and deprogramming seminar on September 13th at Fedex field. If you are having difficulty letting go of your RG3 delusions and addiction, please make plans to attend. Captain Kirk Cousins will lead the services.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Nice attempt at humor but you’d have to includes experts like Bill Polian in such a intervention. I’m sure you and your RG3 hating bandits can teach a guy like Bill a thing or two.

14. berniebernard666 - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM

is Tandler watching the same games I am??? Preston Smith…Trent Murphy battling to start? I see Jackson Jeffcoat as a Junior Galette Clone. Why isn’t Jeffcoat mentioned in the analysis above? He is clearly the best pass rusher on the team while Murhpy and Smith are better at sealing the end on running plays.

But we all have our opinions so lets see how many sacks Jeffcoat has vs. Murphy if the coaches allow him to play.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:59 AM

“I see Jackson Jeffcoat as a Junior Galette Clone.’

So you view a few parcels of a game is enough to assess that Jeffcoat is equal to Galette? Yes Rich is watching the same game as you but with a more keen understanding of the weight on player performance in preseason.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM

I expect Jeffcoat to get his share of playing time on the field early. I don’t disagree he may be the best option as an edge rushing on obvious passing situations but when you are going up against the best tackles in the NFL, the speed you see Jeffcoat cover in preseason can look very different in the regular season.

I hope you are right and he becomes a huge asset for us in creating pressure. We need someone that can get around the ends and he is probably the best chance of any player we have right now.

• ET - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Look, I’m pretty vocal in my support for Jeffcoat. I think he can be a helluva player. I’m excited he made the team. But there’s no way he’s at Galette’s level.

15. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:56 AM

“Shawn Lauvao had a decent camp and he’s better than most fans give him credit for.”

I certainly was never a fan of bringing Lauvao here and feel he was overpaid. However, the one thing I saw in the Detroit game was that he was the only one holding his own and not getting beat by the guy on the other side during the RG3 beat down. I also look at performance in preseason with a grain of salt. So lets see if he can continue to show improvement in the regular season.

• ET - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Agree on all points. He was way overpaid, but Lauvao seems to have improved (and become more comfortable with the scheme). Let’s hope he settles in while Arie develops. Bigger and nastier inside.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM

If they can make Arie into a legitimate starter than that says a lot about Bill Callahan. He really was knocked by most scouts for lack of mobility in his hips. Many felt he was drafted way too early by the Skins. These are the type of wins I’d like to see this team make more often just like they did during their days of football dominance.

• ET - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM

We’ll see what happens with Arie. For now, he getting a lot of compliments from the beat reporters on his nastiness, while realizing he has a way to go before competing with the first team.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Season starts Thursday!! Yeah!

16. Dcwun - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM

The only way Amerson starts is injuries. He’s clearly the 4th or 5th corner on this team.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Agreed! I don’t get the kid… He has more length with speed than any other corner on the team but cannot prevent huge plays when playing the better receivers. He does fine when up against less than the elite but his potential is better than that.

17. bangkokben - Sep 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Rich has new post comparing the opening day rosters from 2014 to 2015. A good read.

• goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 12:01 PM

No brown nosing. Unless bangkokben is actually Rich Tandler and Rich is complimenting himself.

• wncskinsfan - Sep 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM

I like Tandlers posts, too. that’s why I read them and make comments. Why would someone bother coming here if they didn’t like it. Life is short!

• goback2rfk - Sep 7, 2015 at 2:50 PM

I was just messing around. I like Tanlder’s posts for the most parts also.

18. rtcwon - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:33 PM

I’m not going to talk QB, everyone is dug in their trenches like WWI and not willing to even look at another perspective. I’m staying out of the cross fire. And I’m not going to predict injuries; injuries just happen, trying to predict them or expecting them is something I’m not going to do. So I only see one position change due to performance:

Free Safety – I’ve been high on TRob for a couple years now and he is even better than I thought. He has now learned both safety positions and played them well through out the preseason. Goldson is a massive upgrade over Clark but still took some bad angles (more than just the Smith TD) and not going to be here next year. TRob beats him out at some point this year. While at safety, no way Johnson beats out Ihenacho at any point.

Going in I really thought Baker would beat Paea for starting end. Not that starters matter much on the DL with its heavy rotation but Paea has been better than I expected and very disruptive. He’ll get the meaningful snaps I thought Baker would snatch. This scheme is ideal for Baker but he hasn’t shown the big leap I expected. It was only preseason and I still expect big things from Big Swaggy.

19. goback2rfk - Sep 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Alfred Morris is going to run right over Suh and the Dolphins next Sunday. I see no reason why we wont have 150+ yards rushing and somewhere around 200 yards passing. 2 TD’s 1 INT.
    The offense should be able to move the ball and the running game is usual at least decent most of the times.

• Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 5:31 AM

Yeah but we will still have to pass the ball to move the offense. And running the ball against that line probably won’t be as easy as you’re saying. Especially with such a young/new right side of the line. I’m expecting the first couple games to be pretty tough while Scherff and Moses learn to gel and Cousins gets in sync with his receivers. Miami and St. Louis also have very good defenses. It could be a rough couple of weeks. But I do expect them to finally get it going and at least be better than last year.

20. squawonthewarpath - Sep 6, 2015 at 9:21 PM

One thing I have noticed from reading this comment section is every person who does not support RG3 as the starter for the Redskins seems to be “hated” on. I have nothing against him or the other 2 quarterbacks on the roster. The problem is we can all argue whose the best, the worst, until the chickens come home to roost, but the problem is NONE of the 3 are really good quarterbacks when it comes down to it. Even trying to decide which one is the lesser of the 3 evils is a complex task.

21. Trey Gregory - Sep 7, 2015 at 5:28 AM

So, does anyone know what the plan for Spencer is? I was actually hoping they signed him over Ross because of his size and what that means for special teams. His size could also be a big factor in the future if we developed him right. I just can’t imagine we drafted him expecting for him to be in the receiver lineup year 1. He was obviously a project, as far as being a quality WR. But he adds something to special teams that Ross can’t. We already have plenty of guys to return kicks (Roberts, Grant, Crowder, Thompson, Breeland, and DJax) and plenty of undersized/speedy receivers. But not a lot of big bodies to play on the ST cover units. Is Ross really a better WR option than Crowder or Grant? I can’t imagine the answer is yes. Plus Crowder was drafted largely because of his return skills. So that means Ross is a backup WR and backup return guy who will sit on the bench all year while Spencer could have been a big factor on ST and still sat out the offensive plays, just like Ross will. I don’t get this one at all. If they get Spencer on the practice squad and develop him, I guess I can accept that. But if he walks…. What a waste. Archives