Sep 5, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
The Redskins have finalized their 53-man roster at least for today. There could be changes if they add players who were released by other teams so the bubble players can’t rest easy just yet.
Here is the roster as it stands tonight. The team can begin signing players to the 10-man practice squad after waivers are cleared at noon on Sunday.
Starters are in bold.
Quarterback (3): Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin III, Colt McCoy
With this morning’s report that Griffin will stay, this was set.
Offensive line (10): Trent Williams, Shawn Lauvao, Kory Lichtensteiger, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Tom Compton, Spencer Long, Arie Kouandjio, Josh LeRibeus, Ty Nsekhe
This is an overload; one could be released if the team picks up a third tight end
Wide receiver (6): Pierre Garçon, DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Ryan Grant, Jamison Crowder, Rashad Ross
Ross wasn’t on many peoples’ radar before training camp started but he forced his way onto the roster with a strong preseason.
Tight end (3): Jordan Reed, Derek Carrier
Either Tom Compton is going to be the third tight end or they will find somebody on the waiver wire. Reed is injury prone and Carrier has only been here a few weeks.
Running back (4): Alfred Morris, Darrel Young, Matt Jones, Chris Thompson
This has been set in stone since the start of training camp. Undrafted rookie Trey Williams could be a practice squad candidate if he clears waivers.
Defensive line (7): Jason Hatcher, Terrance Knighton, Stephen Paea, Chris Baker, Ricky Jean Francois, Kedric Golston, Frank Kearse
They have gone with seven on the DL in most years but I think they need an extra linebacker to help on special teams.
Outside linebacker (4): Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Murphy, Preston Smith, Jackson Jeffcoat
Jeffcoat played pretty well when moved to the active roster late last year due to injuries. He got an opening to the roster when Junior Galette was injured and he took advantage of it.
Inside linebacker (4): Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson, Will Compton, Martrell Spaight
The Redskins could be looking for another linebacker on waivers.
Cornerback (5): Chris Culliver, DeAngelo Hall, David Amerson, Justin Rogers, Deshazor Everett
Bashaud Breeland will not be on Week 1 roster due to NFL suspension.
Safety (5): Dashon Goldson, Duke Ihenacho, Jeron Johnson, Kyshoen Jarrett, Trenton Robinson
A total of 10 defensive backs is a little heavy; they could release one to make room for another linebacker.
Specialists (3): LS Nick Sundberg, P Tress Way, PK Kai Forbath
Forbath brushed off a challenge in training camp and this was set.
The numbers: 25 offense, 25 defense, 3 specialists; 16 new to the Redskins organization in 2015 including seven draft picks
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit
- Jay Gruden says Redskins defense should have been more aggressive in final series
- Five observations from the Redskins' loss to the Lions
- VIDEO: Trent Williams walks gingerly while helped to locker room after injury
- Redskins take late lead on Cousins TD, give up late lead on Boldin TD
- Josh Norman leaves game with concussion
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground