Need to Know: Five reasons the Redskins should keep RG3 on the roster

Sep 3, 2015, 5:17 AM EDT

RG3-passing-vs-Vikings

Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 3, two days before the Washington Redskins make their final cuts.

5 reasons to keep RG3 on the roster

There are some sound reasons why the Redskins should let go of Robert Griffin III. But there are also reasons to keep him. Let’s look at some why the Redskins should keep RG3 wearing their uniform.

—They will be paying him anyway. They are definitely on the hook for the $3.4 million prorated portion of his signing bonus and unless a long shot comes through and can get traded, they will pay him $3.3 million in salary. What is the point in paying him to play for another team?

—Especially if that team is in the division. You would have to think that Jerry Jones would be interested in bringing the Texas native to Dallas. And Griffin could be a perfect fit for Chip Kelly’s fast-paced college-style offense in Philly. In fact, there are already rumors in Philly that the Eagles might be interested in Griffin if he gets cut.

—Kirk Cousins does not have much of an injury history. But he has never had to take the pounding of a 16-game NFL season on his 6-3, 214-lb. frame. And Colt McCoy has had injury issues in his career. If anything happens to one or both of them, are the Redskins better off with some guy off the street or someone who knows the offense and, as noted, they are paying him anyway.

—Scot McCloughan said it himself earlier this year—you don’t give up on a young quarterback. Griffin is just 25 and he could catch on at some point, maybe soon. Why give up now especially since (sorry to be repetitive) you’re paying him anyway

—A trade market could develop for him. Most teams seem to have their quarterback situations settled. But an injury or a couple of highly ineffective games by the starter could change that. And an immediate opportunity to play or at least be the No. 2 might give Griffin some incentive to modify the 2016 option. What’s the rush? If a market doesn’t develop in the first few weeks of the season you can let him go in October.

Today’s schedule: Jaguars at Redskins, 7:30 p.m., Comcast SportsNet

—It’s been 249 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 10 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Final cuts 2; Rams @ Redskins 17; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 21

145 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Stephfan - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:22 AM

Great reasons

2. colorofmyskinz - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:22 AM

I think we need to take the risk and run him in a read option style offense to show that he still has that capability. I know there is a risk of him getting injured while doing that in one or two games but the amount that it could lift his trade value could be huge. We already have a ton invested we might as well invest just a little bit more which would be 16 million at risk to see if we could lift his trade value to higher draft pick. I think it would be worth it.

You never know, we might find that we can run 2 different offenses depending on the opponent we are going against. Would be unique.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM

That would be a huge mistake. Your offense would never be in rhythm and you would lose all cohesion between the QB and Oline because of different cadence and you would lose it between the QB and Recievers because of different passers. You would also loose practice reps which would make the whole Offense out of sync. Once you lose that you have 3 and outs and your defense gets tired out bad move

3. colorofmyskinz - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:27 AM

I know HE does not want to run and thought he could demand to be developed as a pocket passer. But he might be rethinking that now.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM

I’ve never heard him say he wouldn’t run. In fact I’ve herd him say multiple times that he was willing to run and he was willing to run any play called

• rcjur - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM

That’s a big lie on claim that RG III never wanted run read option again. There’s no tape on him dying that at all. They know if he ran it he would be a beast again. Don’t believe the he. Coach just really hates him.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM

He said he did not want to continue running the read option. I have heard that from too many people I trust not to believe it’s true.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Rich I’ve only seen what RG3 actually said out of his mouth.

Who are these people and why has RG3 Never bin written in quotes exactly what he said? It would be great for someone to share actual quotes instead of I heard he said.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Rich if you do know of a link having him saying this than please share it.

• Skulb - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:24 PM

@Tie

You´ve forgotten the infamous meeting with Shanahan after the 2012 season then, where Griffin told Shanahan which of his plays were “unacceptable” and that he wanted to be a drop back passer instead of a running QB. His father also went on TV and demanded “more passing plays” from the Redskins. This stuff was the whole reason for Shanahan eventually being fired: Snyder undermining the coach by empowering Griffin. Same thing he did to Gruden last year really.
          Anyone who thinks Griffin not running is because of evil coaches and things has just had their head in the sand for the last three years. Gruden was not brought to DC to tailor the offense to Griffin´s specific talents. That was what Shanahan was trying to do before Griffin got him fired. He was brought in to make Griffin like Aaron Rodgers.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 4, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I did check out your link even though you don’t look at the ones I post and just say they are lies

You can’t pick and choose what you want to believe from shannahan. So if you believe this then you have to believe everything else like he Didn’t bench RG3 for performance and he was his picks not Dan’s

RG3 did come out and refute that story

4. troylok - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:33 AM

Yes, you have to compare that to the disruption his presence creates. Little things like his social media gaffe and his comments about being the best QB in the NFL are picked apart by the media. It is a huge distraction for the team. Keeping a spot on the roster for a player you have written off is bad practice. It is miserable for everyone and I don’t think it is something you do if you love the game.

• babyteal1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Agreed….release him if no one wants to do a trade. As soon as he’s cleared his fake concussion let him go. No more drama….focus on football. HTTR!!!!!!!

• kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Has there been any reports / rumors about a fake concussion (yes a real question) or maybe RG3 making out it is worst than it is? (That would be the missing part, the unknown that would make the cutting him rumors understandable IMO).

• babyteal1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 8:12 AM

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM

How do you convince a neurologist to fake a concussion report? Do you have any evidence of this? No!

RG3 had numerous hits that could have led to that concussion. However, your narrative about some fake concussion belongs in the leagues of other rumors you soap opera queens conjure up.

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM

No there have been zero reports of Robert faking any concussion, ken

(In fact that concussion is what kept him from even a chance at having a good game v. Baltimore. Coulda happened! Imagine how THAT woulda gummed up Jay’s secret plans if that had occurred! Also, that concussion gave Jay the initial crack he was looking for to name Kirk his game 1 starter in the first place; “Drs say RG wouldn’t be retested til just before game-time, so look like HE’S out!” The concussion was a boon for Gru!)

But here is another example of a rumor that some dunce (babyteal1, in this particular case) just comes up with, posts it on a blog, allowing a bunch a like-minded, addlepated others to start spreading it around like its GOSPEL! Next thing you know it’s ending up in lovable, gullible innocents like Paul Sherman’s comments, too. So sad.

But then, there IS a huge group of less-evolved Homo sapiens who just love this stuff; they ferret it out, and repost it. Ya know THAT ain’t never gonna change, till THEY do!

But it doesn’t make it right; not just against RG3. … not against ANYBODY!

• troylok - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:55 AM

It is easy to fake a concussion. You slur your words, delay your responses, complain of blurred vision, show some memory loss… It doesn’t even have to be a convincing act nowadays because the least little evidence that there could possibly be a concussion is going to make the doctors err on the conservative side and keep the player out.

I have not heard that he faked the concussion but the circumstances around it were suspect. Remember how it was just a “stinger” which most players shake off and return to the game. The scope of his injury then seemed to migrate and it was added that he may have a concussion. The symptoms for a stinger are a lot different than the symptoms for a stinger, so makes me wonder how they came to that conclusion unless RG3 said something like he was playing in Hoboken and his center was Lady Gaga. There was also the confusion when he was cleared and then not cleared. This call came from the doctors and even they seemed to be unsure of what the problem was. I suspect that there is at least one step in the concussion protocol that requires them to ask the player if he feels like he is completely up to snuff. RG3 could have pulled the plug right then.

This is not fact. It is speculation on my part. Everyone knows the NFL has a magnifying glass right now on concussions and how teams deal with them. RG3 certainly knows this. It’s a program that is ripe for abuse by a player who doesn’t see eye to eye with his coach, doesn’t feel like the team has his back, and would like nothing more than a second chance somewhere else.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM

“Not to my knowledge but don’t you actually have to take a hit to the head to get a concussion?”

“A blow to your head, neck or upper body can cause a concussion,”

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:46 PM

So you are saying the same guy everyone said rush back from a knee injury for fear of losing his job tacked a concussion SMH Come On Man.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:53 PM

“It is easy to fake a concussion. ”

Troy, I don’t know if it’s logical to suggest RG3 could be faking a concussion when he himself stated publicly many times he didn’t feel like he had a concussion. More importantly neuropsychological tests commonly include computer based analysis such as the ImPACT test (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive) and the Automated Neuropsychological Assessment Metrics (ANAM). I’m not sure if data derived from these devices can be faked by a human.

I don’t have the details of what concussion testing RG3 took but I’m sure it would be more than just some standardize cognitive test.

• troylok - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:28 PM

I don’t care what tests they do on a player. I fall tests are negative and the player says he feels weird, then they have to take it seriously. The NFL is under so much pressure about the concussion thing and it could explode on them if they send one player out on the field that really does have a concussion.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Then you are just creating a unsubstantiated rumor on a guy who has never demonstrated any reasons to get off the field, only the contrary has been known about RG3 in the past.

• therealistcat - Sep 3, 2015 at 8:04 AM

I love how you people (who obviously don’t like the guy) take his words out of context. At no point did Robert say he was the best QB in the league, he stated he thinks of himself as the best QB in the league—-there is a difference, for those who likely have never attempted to achieve greatness. I’ve been in Roberts shoes before on a local level. I know what it is like to be counted out. I was broke; homeless, and weary at times. Yet I got up every day and told myself I was great. First and foremost knowing that God had destined me for greatness! Everyone told me I was finished, including my own family at times! Now I am an Entrepreneur, owner of one of the fastest growing Mental Health Agencies in my region. I’ve been on every news outlet due to my work in the community. For inquiring minds, I am LeMar Bowers——look (Google) it for yourselves. You see I do not boast in myself. I, like Robert, saw myself (by faith) in a state before I had even arrived there. Robert expressed his faith openly and the world (as usual) did not understand where he was coming from. I am with this young man, and what you all don’t realize is that his speaking of his destiny, is the reason why he will be redeemed. God does not lie and he is truly faithful to the believer—–I’m a witness to that! Glory to God through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 8:19 AM

“I love how you people (who obviously don’t like the guy) take his words out of context. At no point did Robert say he was the best QB in the league, he stated he thinks of himself as the best QB in the league—-there is a difference”

Trust me thereal, there is no reasoning with those that allow themselves to buy into that misconception about RG3. I immediately understood that RG3 was talking about his “state of mind” when preparing himself as a QB. The ones that accept the distorted version are ones either have never been competitors or have ulterior motives for accepting the lies.

• TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM

No, the idiots are right! Clearly they should be more offended by a competitive athlete in a competitive sport expressing the mindset that he feels he’s the best and that he has to show he’s the best whenever he plays; than, say, the vulgar tweets about a journalist posted by the wife of a GM who is supposed to bring stability to the franchise.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Oh that tweet sure does bring many serious questions and especially about the GM’s current marriage situation.

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM

What tweet? WHAT TWEET? (I just got up & I guess I missed it!!)

Btw, realist, Hogs, redskinsname, save your breath. We’ve all made these completely rational comments time & time again. But when there are those who don’t want to be rational, when rationality stands in the way of their agenda, and when misinterpretation, rumors and even lies better suit their purpose, then all rationality goes out the window.

You know this. Then all the kinds of thoughts that incite a lynch-mob mentality take over.

But don’t worry, all this will hopefully come to an end real soon, and their whole sorry example will be just a sad memory.

Join me;
          FREE RG3!

FREE RG3!!

FREE RG3!!!

FREE RG3!!!!

• TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:25 AM

It’s the latest circus news, bruce! How did you miss the drama?

The Redsk — whoops, I mean Griffin won’t stop runing the franchise!

• Skulb - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:26 PM

My God you people are making these comments toxic!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Attention Deficit Disorder is running rampant on this site.

• rcjur - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Bio…..team needs keep RG III on the roster at least this season. If he has to go in its back to some read option, and definitely shotgun like team has been doing for Cousins. Cousins will not last a full season and this team would be foolish to release RG III to let him end up in Dallas or Philly. Trade best option if they need to. Team already a laughing stock imagine if RG III gets cut and goes to an NFC rival just for Gruden and Cousins who probably won’t be here next season anyway. Play it out all season.

• troylok - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM

If RG3 ended up as a starter in Philly or Dallas it would definitely help the Redskins sack totals. You all seem to forget that when RG3 was in the read option, everyone was complaining about how he did not take care of his body. He got hit a lot. If he goes to Philly and plays the read option, he’s going to end up hurt again. He’s not playing in college where most of the players’ forty times could be measured with a sun dial. This is the NF freakin’ L and even the 300 pounders move like speeding bullets.

While we are talking about Philly, they will go through quarterbacks this season like Rosie O’Donell goes through Doritos. I give Bradford two games.

While we are talking about Dallas, why would you think they would even run a read option? They’ve got an offense built around a pocket passer and a power running game. Why would Garrett throw all of that out just to pick up Washington’s dirty laundry?

I think the only team that would be a good fit for RG3 would be Seattle. He would have time there and he could occasionally spell Wilson. Of course, they can’t afford to take on his contract, so that will probably not happen.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM

As for Dallas, Garrett doesn’t make the calls, Jerruh does. You’re deluding yourself if you don’t think that Jones wouldn’t pick up Griffin as a back-up and heir apparent to Romo. And that Dallas line? Yeah, it gave Romo numerous times 8 and 9 seconds to stand back there with Sunday Night Football showing a stop watch. Griffin would likely have to renegotiate with any team. If he is released and clears waivers, there will be multiple teams lined up to give him a multiple year deal. There will be teams that see him as a project and sign him to a three to four year deal with bonus money. He’d likely make half of next year’s salary in bonus alone. Why? Because quarterbacks make money – even back-ups. AND there will be teams that see him as a possible starting solution that would give him a short-term deal. Robert being Robert would probably take that deal because he still sees himself as a starter.

Look, I get it wrong – a lot – except when comes to contracts.

5. kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:10 AM

IMO, there would have to be more than a disappointment in RG3’s development as a pocket passer for the team to just cut him. The Redskins were willing to take the risk of the $16 million option back in March knowing the injury history or that has not changed. The Redskins knew it could had longer then just the preseason for RG3 to show improvement as a pocket passer and that set backs would happen, so that also did not change. The Redskins knew that the O-Line would still be a work in progress before the opener and that RG3 might still look bad in preseason games, so that didn’t change. The Redskins knew that RG3 would be running a straight drop back offense in the early preseason games and that the plan was to only check for progress / development which they stated showed up in practice but not in games, but there was a limited body of work / tape to review, so not much change there. So, either Cousins development was so great that the Redskins move him to starting QB (but that doesn’t change the level performance of RG3, which is what I am looking for) or there were reasons not known to the general public that caused the rumors (i.e. drama queen, remarks, lock roomer concerns, etc.) or the head coach felt the heat of another 4-12 season and pushed to replace the starting QB (and there hasn’t being much unreported on RG3 since he was drafted, so not much changed there). Again, something does not add up, the facts do not support the rumors, unless there is something that has not been reported yet. And I agree, why pay him and cut him for another team to benefit on the cheap. What is it that we Redskins fans do not know that caused the rumors? Not that I am a big RG3 backer, I am not, but I just do not get the “Let’s cut him rumors”, even to avoid a $16 million “MAYBE RISK”.

• babyteal1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:32 AM

He’ll be cut or traded within 2 weeks.

• kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:37 AM

I do not disagree that he could be gone very soon (where there is smoke there is fire in most cases) I just do not get the reasons unless there is something I do not know>

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:46 AM

All those questions were created once the team agreed to sign the option. You’re are correct that cutting him would lead to other possible reasons unreported. As I argued with others; if all it took for the organization to sour on RG3 was a concussion then why even sign that option? That was a huge indication of a commitment to a player that is now not even given the chance to start.

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I think cousins just outplayed him. Simple as that. No need to bail on Robert because like you, I agree he has a higher ceiling, but Kirk is just playing better right now.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM

We’ll see Hail how this all plays out. The business side of this game is tricky and unfortunately there rarely is a luxury today in retaining a potently expensive backup QB.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM

Ken, as far as the organization is concerned the risk and the distraction are their only concerns. Rich made great points for keeping Griffin. I mentioned similar sentiments earlier in the week. The media sees the distraction as something that can be avoidable – after all they know what they will do if Griffin is still on the team. The camera on the sidelines picking up his reaction to Cousins interception or touchdown pass, for instance. They also read it as a symptom of continual dysfunction – just as they voiced their opinion for drafting Cousins. The Cousins supporters want EXACTLY what the Griffin supporters wanted when their guy was the starter: the other guy OUT. Why? Fear. Fear that their guy would have to look over his shoulder and that some higher up would replace their QB. Me? I like don’t like paying other folks employees their salary. So I hold onto Griffin until there is a trade partner. That could be after the season even. The team doesn’t have to cut him until they want to clear $16.15M off next year’s cap. So they’ve got until March.

• therealistcat - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Good post! I like the way you used deductive reasoning to surmise what could be going on. Most of the people on here will just take a media reports and run with it. Likely because it supports what they want to hear anyway.They do not seek to challenge what is being presented. I agree that something is fishy based on how this all played out. Even how Jay Gruden played out this so-called QB competition. I’ve never seen it done where all players do not have the ability to fight for the spot. The way it was done put Griffin at a huge disadvantage. He really looked good in practice this year. His first preseason game was actually pretty good for the small sample size we saw. He was given very little game reps and certain plays that would have given him more comfort and ability to settle into the scheme were not called, but they were called for the other two. If I had to guess, Gruden just does not want Griffin as his QB—for what seems to be personal reasons. As the anonymous coach described last week—-“it seems personal” based on how Gruden is handling the situation.

• hcicron - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:56 AM

You start off admonishing people who take media reports for their word and run off with it than use an anonymous media quote to support your opinion. How about we all agree we’re here because we are fans of the team and lose all the animosity between us. Just because someone has a different view than you doesn’t inherently make them wrong or even uninformed. For the record I don’t believe the media at all, didn’t think the quote about him being the best QB was out of line at all and really hope we don’t just give up on Robert. Having said that my eyes are showing an improved cousins who is outplaying griffin right now.

• Skulb - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:32 PM

It depends who you´re gonna listen to of course, but part of the problem behind the scenes here might just be that Snyder placed Griffin above the two coaches, and obviously above all his lowly team mates; starving peasants crawling far below him in the mud. This just can´t be good for the locker room if it´s even half as bad as has been reported. And when you look at him he constantly throws his team mates under the bus: I seriously think he blames the people around him for all this, even now, rather than taking some stock of his own behavior since 2012. Some people make themselves impossible to their surroundings, which is what I think RGIII has done.

6. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:39 AM

“When you get to the NFL and especially in Washington, you have to know how to handle yourself,” Clark said on First Take Tuesday morning. “You can’t come out and say ‘RGIII’s our guy.’ ”

Clark said Redskins players he’s talked to said they were thinking “we’re riding with RGIII, he’s going to be our guy, this is how we’re going to play, and he’s going to lead us throughout the season.” Now, that’s all changed.

“The timing of it stinks,” Clark said. “And it stinks to me, stinks to the players on that team. One of them even texted me listen, if this was an open quarterback competition, then say that. Don’t say it’s RGIII’s team. Say it’s an open competition and the best quarterback in camp will be the winner.”

Based on Ryan Clark’s comments above, you have to consider Gruden’s credibility with the players which has already been affected. It appears players have lost at least some trust in the head coach by his spin on stating RG3 was starter early on, only to give the start to Cousins based on a QB competition that never existed. What may exist now is a player divide or rift between RG3 and Gruden. Sure winning could quickly cure any of that but if Cousins struggles early in the season and RG3 is on the bench then dissension in the locker room could spread very fast. In order for Gruden to fix any distrust he has created in the locker room by this decision, it’d be best for the organization to cut RG3. Removing RG3 may allow players to put QB controversy behind them and convince the team Cousins is the unquestionable starting quarterback for 2015

• kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:47 AM

So, IYO this is more about Gruden wanting to walk the “High Wire” without a net? That would add up for me. Gruden says I am the head coach, it is my team to coach and I do not want RG3 around to hurt the team when things get tuff. Which would point to RG3 being a problem in the lock room that the coach could not control. OK, I buy that.

• kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I wonder if Rich will give us the 5 reasons why the Redskins should cut RG3?

• shermanp79 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Gruden came out and explained exactly why the did things as they were done. To protect the team and allow for a productive off season. Which would of been overwhelmed with the RG3 saga. I think he has more credibility.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM

It’s more important what the players think than you or I. How are you protecting the team if players are losing trust in the head coach?

Look, I actually think it was smart to announce the starter early like what was done. Maybe it’s just one or two players that feel this way. I don’t know for sure but Ryan Clark is a stand up guy in my book. If even he doesn’t like how it was played out then there is a good chance some damage control is needed due to it’s backlash

7. renhoekk2 - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM

It doesn’t matter. Say you trade him to Cleveland. What’s to stop them from cutting him or trading him to DAL or PHI? And who cares? If he could play well enough to make you worry about that stuff he would still be YOUR starting QB. Ridiculous. And he’ll be the 3rd QB who doesn’t dress. So you’ll be paying him not to play anyway. And no way they want him as the #2 QB regardless of injury. They would be in nerve racking fear of him going into a game an getting injured, and being on the hook for the $16M in 2016.. That would the absolute worst backup QB situation in the league. Why in the world would you want that.

• shermanp79 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM

its not like teams haven’t studies our offense and tendencies. that is why the game plan. this is always mentioned when player leave but when has it really had an impact.

• hcicron - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:01 AM

I live in the Cleveland area and they were just talking about him. The prevailing sentiment here is that he is injury prone and not much of an upgrade over McCown.

• renhoekk2 - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Good to know. I am a Skins fan in suburban Philly. I have not heard of any consideration of the Eagles being interested in Griffin. Chip is definitely all in on Bradford. Can’t see Griffin going there and agreeing to be a 3rd string QB. I was using CLE as an example. You can’t worry about a player going to a divisional rival. So he doesn’t end up there this year. What about next year or the year after. Is that any better somehow? If so, why?

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I knew you were just using Cleveland as an example, it was just a coincidence that they had just talked about that minutes before I saw your post. I know everyone uses philly as a likely suitor but some philly fans had correctly pointed out on pft that chip doesn’t like players with me first attitudes or any other type of baggage. Before anyone jumps on me for proof that Robert is that way I’m not saying he is, just what the public perception of him has become. IMO if you feel that he can’t be a good QB than him going to a division rival would be ideal, no?

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM

And I’m not specifically asking you that question ren, merely generally speaking.

8. shermanp79 - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:44 AM

I’m not big on keeping 3 QBs to begin with. Last year I preferred using that spot elsewhere. If you need to play 3 QBs, the team is in trouble anyway. So now this situation with some roles switched, your 3rd QB being paid over 6 million. It really makes less sense. What is he going to do? They aren’t going to put him on the field, even practice would be risking it. That option pick up clearly was Snyder because it makes little sense. At best it saves a couple million if they had to franchise him. A deal would of been worked out. Snyder would make sure, if not they pay the extra. In order to benefit from keeping him, he would need the other 2 getting hurt. Then him making some shocking improvement and strides to change opinions. From a guy who hasn’t show any in years with 2 HC, 2 QB Coaches, along with others trying to help him with coaching. Some late round conditional pick brings little value. Especially when we may lose a player they currently would like on this team. This situation is why they should of dealt with this long ago. They should have a young cheap QB as your 3rd stringer if really want to carry three. Too many appeased Snyder and Allen.

• shermanp79 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM

The chances of another team suffering an injury or poor play is likely but I find it hard to swallow RG3 will be their first option via trade. His deficiencies aren’t just seen here, all the NFL knows it. That is why his play has regressed so badly. Defenses know to just pressure him and it will kill this offense. Look at how much Baltimore blitzed last week. The game teams plan some. The thought RG3 was playing. (Which is something Cousins will face going forward.) Rg3 can’t protect himself and no team is turning to him as a pocket guy. Will he change his tune once he realizes his career in jeopardy? Then be willing to play his R offense? Even then teams will have concerns. Every injury in past was while out of the pocket. Even his last was due to fumble so no pocket protected. So that draft pick really is a pipe dream. At best you get a late pick but lose someone similar now that they know has potential or can help.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:02 AM

A team with stability at the QB position can have two QBs. This team needs a 3rd QB whether it’s Griffin or not but they will sign a practice squad QB. I don’t see Robert running scout team.

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Ummmm … yer rambling again, Paul. ;^}

(Just a helpful bit of advice to a friend — strictly between you and me.)

• shermanp79 - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:45 AM

isn’t this article on 5 reasons why to keep rg3?? Then a blog where we discuss our opinions or thoughts?

topics in article; RG3s money and option, trade market for RG3, young QB catching on, teams in division picking him up and more..

my points; not big on keeping 3 QBs and why, RG3 as 3rd QB with my opinions why not to keep him based on money and play , then other teams picking up RG3 and my feelings why they won’t Its called giving context for your thought or beliefs. Ironically all things mentioned throughout other posts

Your passive/aggressive ways haven’t changed LOL you could critique every post and find something. You seem to pester a few you dislike….. “my friend” !!

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:04 PM

(I guess you’re addressing me, right, Sherm?)

“Passive”/aggressive? Passive’s got nothing to do with it, Paul.

Or don’t you recognize “sarcasm” — even when its dripping all over you! LOL

You posted;”OH still believe RG3 doesn’t have issues, blames others or shows unwillingness to learn?? With some mental toughness issues going with his “diva” attitude. Did you actually listen to some people I listed?? So many things you questioned me saying surely have played out.”

No … I don’t believe a word of that crud, Sherm. And I won’t at least until I hera it acknowledged by something more than one of YOUR posts.

And NONE of those things you mention have played out! Who ever said he was benched for a “diva” attitude … or that he was “unwilling” to learn? Or that he had mental toughness issues? What does that even MEAN??!!

From what I’ve seen in 3 years of close observation, that dude seems as smart, and friendly, and team-oriented and TOUGH AS THEY COME! I have never heard of ONE teammate (or coach!), past or present, ever say different.(Sure, I heard YOU say it, Sherm, but your opinion don’t count quite so much to me. Man, you used to be a sycophant of “walterwhite”, iirc. Ooops … hope that wasn’t too passive! I CAN be nastier if you’d like)

IMHO, if Griffin did anything wrong during his tenure here, it’s that he tried TOO hard!

Tried TOO hard to please EVERYBODY; TOO hard to be the face of the franchise; too hard to speak open & honestly to the media; to interact with the fans socially; to inspire his teammates; to change his game to suit a new coach; and tried TOO hard to go ALL OUT for that one crummy extra yard …to get that first down. I guess sometimes he just tried too hard for his own good. Maybe that was NEVER sustainable, especially when the team crumbled everywhere else too.

That’s what I saw — as well as a few here who seem to have seen it too.

Funny, tho, how two people can see the same thing in two very different ways, ain’t it Paul? I guess that’s why you & I will never think alike.

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM

I agree with him trying too hard. Personally I feel that’s why he took such a beating in the Detroit game because he was determined to show he could be a pocket passer and wouldn’t flinch to pressure. Having said that I don’t know anything about him trying too hard to inspire his teammates and his transition to pocket passer wasn’t solely Gruden’s call as both rg3 and his dad have said he wanted to run less. However working hard or in this case too hard doesn’t necessarily equate to working right. People need to consider that maybe Cousins decided to work harder too and it paid off for him.

9. TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Another reason to keep Griffin that Rich overlooked is for the Redskins to always have an available scapegoat handy to distract fans and writers from the fact that the team has been mostly a joke without Griffin for two decades, and is still a joke when Griffin doesn’t play (3-9 record in the Griffin era).

Welcome to the circus, McCloughans. You fit right in.

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:43 PM

What would you attribute that to? For me it would be the knee jerk reaction of the owner to terminate a coach very 2-3 years.

10. brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:00 AM

FREE ROBERT GRIFFIN!

FREE ROBERT GRIFFIN!!

FREE ROBERT GRIFFIN!!!

DON’T keep him isolated in bubble wrap in the back of your practice squad — just so no other team can get to him!

No more lying to the fans! (Such as “I’m here to make RG3 into a better QB”, or “Its decided; RG3 is our QB this season, so there is NO need for any open competition”). NO MORE LIES!

C’mon, do something DECENT — for once, Danny! Do something HONEST for once, Redskins!!

FREE RG3!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:06 AM

“FREE ROBERT GRIFFIN!”

That phrase should come with a T-shirt. I’d even wear it to the games if they fail to release him.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Ok so are you a team fan or a RG3 fan? Why would you not support your team and be happy if they are still willing to work with Rob having the hopes he can become better…….

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:29 AM

I can support still the team and also disagree with the handling of RG3. I don’t see an option for RG3 improving with Gruden as head coach. Maybe I’m wrong and RG3 returns as a successful franchise QB, stranger things have happened. However, the writing is on the wall IMO. The organization won’t sign into a guaranteed 16 million for a backup QB. That is the status of RG3 as of now and if Gruden wants to build credibility then in my book he has to stick with the QB he announced as the starter for 2015.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:46 AM

” I can support still the team and also disagree with the handling of RG3 ”
          Yes you can just as someone else can agree he is not the best option to be the starter at this point with our team!

” The organization won’t sign into a guaranteed 16 million for a backup QB”

maybe but don’t forget they have a year before that to see what improvements are made (not saying they will) but they do have that option and then it comes down to Him and how bad he wants it!

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:18 AM

“Why would you not support your team and be happy if they are still willing to work with Rob having the hopes he can become better…….”

Awww… Don’t try to kid a kidder, gasbag1.

Everyone KNOWS that is not (has never has been?) Gru’s intention. All over sportstalk they are already taking odds on Griffin’s next destination — some predict as soon as this weekend, or whenever he’s medically cleared! Even Rich did in his report!

Gru wants Griffin gone …. like YESTERDAY! According to guys who were ON THE SCENE, like Ryan Clark, Gru has always treated Griffin with reapeated disrespect & contempt … unlike anything Clark had ever seen before! (check ESPN for that report). Why would he ever want to keep RG around — unless to toy with him like a cat toys with a trapped mouse!

No, I suggest you stop making dumb statements, and just go back into your dark little corner and continue pleasuring yourself over Griffin’s benching — while also passing that gas you’re so proud of ! Stew in your own stink, gassie. It’s where you belong. LOL !

FREE RG3

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Here’s that link to Ryan Clark’s expose on Gruden, mentioning his egregious treatment of Griffin last year (It was in the WashPost, not ESPN)

I know, I know… “What gets said on the practice field should stay on the practice field!” or “WHOZ RYAN CLARK??” or “Clark played crappy for us, so he should just keep his mouth shut!!!”

Shoot the messenger, right? ;^}

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM

OOhhh BRUCE … so you are gonna take one guy’s veiw and run with it ?

But others who have a opinion you don’t like you call names and disrespect ? All i see you do Bruce is reply with name calling on any post you don’t agree with …..

so why don’t you “go back into your dark little corner and continue pleasuring yourself over Griffin’s benching” You are the guy Farting on anyone you disagree with so “Stew in your own stink, brucefan1. It’s where you belong. LOL !

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM

C’mon gassman … at least he is one guy who will put his name on his statement, and say it into a camera … FOR THE RECORD! And this guy was in the locker room! On the field! FIRST HAND knowledge!’

OK, you do that one better now! Come up with ONE name who backs your position! Or even one reporter who claims he has a name! Nuthin’?! You prefer those “courageous” anonymous sources! Who KNOWS who made any of THAT stuff up? But what does that matter?!

And as far as the nasty snark goes … guilty — as charged! Guess I’ve been watching too much Jon Oliver! I love that guy, but he will say ANYTHING ..about ANYONE! (Who deserves it, that is.) I BLAME HIM! Haha

So if I offended anybody by mentioning gassie’s predilection for posting “fart” sounds, or his flatulence fixation, I humbly apologize.

Just know, I would never behave that way to anyone of you that I respect in the least! ;^}

(Btw, you gotta come up with your OWN put-downs, gas. Repeating a guy’s comment right back at him is what second-graders do; i.e.,”Yer dumb!” “No YER dumb!” Weak.)

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM

bruce plenty of EX/players (Too many to list) have said rg3 is not playing well enough to be the QB so if you choose to ignore them and go with only one’s opinion is ok for you to agree but to disrespect anyone who chooses too have another view is very childish of you!

As for ” you gotta come up with your OWN put-downs, gas. Repeating a guy’s comment right back at him is what second-graders do; i.e.,”Yer dumb!” “No YER dumb!” Weak.)”

Bruce is that what you did after i asked you to stop “farting” on peeps opinions regarding your childish name calling?
          Bruce maybe take your own advice my friend!

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM

I have never said that Griffin’s play didn’t require deep scrutiny, gas! I called for an open competition way back at the season’s end! I was shocked as anyone when Gru said the job was Griffin’s. (Finding out now that it was all just a big fat LIE makes it much more sensible in retrospect)

What I have always been strongly opposed to, tho, are all the personal attacks and character assassinations that posters like you (and please don’t deny that you’re one of THOSE! A tiger don’t change its stripes) frequently resorted to, as if his play on the field was not enough to lose Griffin his job. Ya’ll hadda paint him as a rotten guy, too.

A QB’s play is something that can be quantified with film study, stats and facts. That’s cool!

But character assassination of ANYBODY, based on whispers & rumors, ain’t.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Bruce totally nonsense!!!
          I have never said Rob was a bad or “rotten” person! Never “painted him as a rotten guy”
          Yes in fact i said from day one Mike would ruin this kid and add to that playing under this owner under these circumstances it would be one hell of a CIRCUS!!

So YES a few years later and guess what SPOT ON!! Never not once have i bashed him as a bad or “rotten” person, I have said here lately he sure don’t help himself in the media and he needs to learn actions speck louder than words but never attacked him as a person EVER!!

Bruce Gru has said he named him starter to slow the media circus, so that tells me he Gru tried to help / protect Rob and his team, so i really don’t get how you can say it was a “big fat lie”

LASTLY you last sentence ……you should take that advice for yourself and apply it to your take on coach Gru :))

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM

You were never spot on because Mike didn’t ruin RG3. You created that reality in your head. It’s obvious you never left that world while others have here to deal with your sheer insanity of a notion. Break down what you mean about Mike ruining RG3. Do just through and generalizations can pat yourself about being right. Provide something to back this bravado.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM

revised below…

Break down what you mean about Mike ruining RG3. Don’t just use generalizations and pat yourself on the back about it being right. Provide something to back this bravado.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:48 PM

NAMEisJDHAWK

THAT IS HISTORY AND YOU KNOW THE FACTS OF WHAT I SAID WOULD HAPPEN PERIOD!

SPOT ON!!!

AT LEAST SOME HAVE TOLD ME I WAS RIGHT ON (MANED UP) I NEVER EXPECTED YOU TO :))

now back to my conversation with BRUCE ……………………………

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:12 AM

If Rob wants free he can ask out and Dan can’t do a thing until the NFL’s Dr releases him. Light Bulbs do break in bubble wrap :)

• TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM

He can buy about 13 million more if that happens.

• TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:13 AM

He should want out of this franchise even if he doesn’t start for another team.

11. Michael L.Osborne - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:19 AM

RG3 is a keeper,don’t let someone else get the best of him,I believe he has greatness that hasn’t been seen yet,forget the negative criticism one day it will vanish ,God has the final say in every thing,to believers.

12. wolfskins - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Here’s conspiracy theory for you… What if we are trying to see what Cousins has and see if he’s a franchise QB. And that RG3 is getting a “red shirt” year (a healthy full year to learn the offense) with his shot next year if Cousins doesn’t work out. If Cousins is the franchise, Griffin should be healthy and could be released at the end of the season. Cousins would then get the cap space allocated by the option year from RG3.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM

I like your theory but the NFL doesn’t seem to maneuver starting quarterbacks in that manner. Well, at least they no longer do it.

13. goback2rfk - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:42 AM

He is like slowly spoiling milk you gotta get rid of him sometime

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:44 AM

He? I think the organization does just a fine job on it’s own “spoiling the milk”

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:47 AM

BOTH parties not one or the other!!!

• TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM

How successful have the Redskins been since ’91 before you even knew who Robert Griffin III was? Huh?

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Hogs you were not saying that in 2012 were you!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:53 AM

There is no escaping the fact that this organization hasn’t had a stable QB situation in decades. This was long before RG3 arrived. The development for RG3 was apparent before he was drafted and this team failed to properly fill that obligation.

Bill Polian hits on this very note below.
        “There was a huge learning curve and that was exacerbated tremendously by the injury,” Polian said. “Mike Shanahan smartly adjusted his offense to that which RG III could handle in his rookie year. None of that has happened since and therefore he doesn’t fit. I would say this: If I were running a club, I’d have my scouts looking awfully hard at what he might be able to do for my club.”

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:33 PM

I always said Mike would ruin this kid!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:03 PM

I’m see the premise of the article went well over your head. Polian commended Shanahan for how he adjusted the offense to suit his abilities. Now, how you translate that into Mike ruining RG3 can only be explained by your warped little mind.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM

@ redskinsnameisheretostay
          We all know what you just commented about gasngo14 you don’t need to lower yourself to actually come out in public and say it. It doesn’t make you look much better. It’s best to put out solid facts and know you’ve proven your point than resort to name calling that kind of stuff is left to the ones who can’t presenta good argument

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM

nameis you just can’t help yourself , why call names this is not the local playground, take that approach elsewhere please!

you say

“The development for RG3 was apparent before he was drafted and this team failed to properly fill that obligation.”

I replied ” I always said Mike would ruin this kid!”

so is this not a fact ? C’mon nameishere grow up!!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:47 PM

No it’s not a fact! It’s you missing the reality that Shanahan had RG3 on the right path just as Polian stated. Also Polian stated that “learning curve and that was exacerbated tremendously by the injury”. Bingo, something I’ve been trying to ram into the heads of you RG3 detractors. Why do I even have to spell this out to any adult?

The decision to move from Shanahan to Gruden was an even worst choice for RG3 development.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:55 PM

name C’mon really

“learning curve and that was exacerbated tremendously by the injury”.

A five year old could see Rob should not have been in the game , so YES MIKE IS AT FAULT” you know the guy who had no problem telling everyone he had TOTAL control of this team…Yaa the same guy who was VP OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS yaa that MIKE guy who stated he could WIN with BECK and so on ……

There is no arguing that Mike did not have the best interest in Rob or the team …period!!!

BTW RG3 and RG2 ran Mike out of town and asked to be a pocket passer so who’s to blame again??

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM

“A five year old could see Rob should not have been in the game , so YES MIKE IS AT FAULT””

What, the Seattle Playoff game?

Let me explain to you the role of a coach. When a player indicates he is playing hurt; you ask the team doctors to look at and and determine if is he okay and you then ask the player “are you okay to play”. No coach can ever know for sure if a player hobbling in a game is injured enough to be pulled. That is up to the medical staff evaluating him and the player.

Now, let’s take it a step further: There on the sideline in that very game was the Great Dr. Andrews. He evaluated RG3 during the game himself in that makeshift room on the sideline and then RG3 was evaluated by the medical staff during halftime. He was again cleared and the player stated he can still play.

Now what I blame Shanahan on in that situation was that by halftime he should have benched him. However, not because he can possibly know the severity of an injury on a player still moving on his own. Because his performance was severely affected by it.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM

nameishere

” What, the Seattle Playoff game?”Did you really have to ask what game? lol

” Let me explain to you the role of a coach” lmao don’t forget VP football operations ….HA!!

” This notion that Shanahan should have known how severe his injury was when the Doc, medical staff, and RG3 was stating I can go on is outrageous.”

Whats outrageous is you wanting to find fault in everyone but the VP OF FOOTBALL/ COACH you know the guy who told everyone DAILY he was in charge ….WOW JDHAWK ONLY YOU TRY AND DEFEND when a five year old in pop Warner football COULD SEE he was HURT!!!!

As for DR Andrews the worlds finest …..AND YOU WANT TO BELIEVE that guy MIKE?

C’mon your JOKING RIGHT???

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:23 PM

It’s obvious the more caps you provide the more confused you get.

“Whats outrageous is you wanting to find fault in everyone but the VP OF FOOTBALL/ COACH ”

Right there in my comment I faulted Shanahan for not benching RG3 in the second half of that game due to his ability to perform on the field. So much for that outrageous response there.

You’re argument that VP of operations means he should be responsible for making a medical diagnoses on a hobbling player in the middle of the game is beyond reproach. That why we have the medical staff on the sidelines. This is not even worth discussing any further. I’m sorry if I burst your bubble but I’m done with you on this topic.

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM

nameisJDHAWK……PATHETIC …..” medical diagnoses ” are you blind? you are not worth talking to, you will run in circles 24-7 so it’s pointless!

14. timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I think if he remains on the team it will point to this being solely a Gruden decision and the GM and Owner are letting Gruden play the guy he wants and if their isn’t significant improvement then Gruden will be gone. When reports came out that the football people wanted RG3 gone and Snyder was against it another report came out immediately disputing that report saying the GM and Owner were in agreement on the subect, but didn’t say that they agreed with Gruden. Like Rich said the GM stated ” you don’t give up on a player with that much talent this early” he really liked him coming out of college and what he did in 2012 was remarkable. I can’t see the GM giving up on him after only a couple months after saying this. Gruden got the Job to develop RG3 and said this year they would be calling more plays that were geared towards RG3’s strengths . Those are 2 very public statements Gruden straight out lied about. If Cousins fails Gruden could be gone by the end of the year if not sooner

15. warpath1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I think it will be up to Robert. Either he shows good character and supports the team in the locker room or he divides the locker room with drama in which case I think scot will send him packing. Either way, those actions will surely play into the next gm’s decision to sign him or not

• gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM

I agree 100% it will come down to how much Rob wants it !

16. brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Hey!!

That judge just sided with Tom Brady (who may be the only NFLer who was more vilified than RG3 this off-season! LOL) and vacated his suspension!

ww.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/report-judge-sides-brady-vacates-deflategate-suspension

Looks like just MORE egg on the face of Goodell — as well as ALL those who insist upon accepting flawed evidence and unsubstantiated rumors as FACTS. That kinda behavior is only suitable for fools and haters — but whose ranks appear to be legion. (Especially if some of the commenters we read here are counted. ;^})

• kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM

You would think that the NFL would have had better lawyers than Tom Brady, but I guess not. Maybe having a super model for a wife counts for something in the court room! Either way, looks like Tom Brady is playing again.

• hail74 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM

You do realize that the suspension was overturned for procedural failings, not flawed evidence or unsubstantiated rumors.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Procedural, if you mean the procedure the NFL used to gather flawed evidence. If you mean, the Patriots aren’t exonerated from tinkering with the balls, then correct. But it’s clear, the judge felt the NFL abused its authority.

17. kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM

What is it about RG3 that has Redskins fans so invested in him? Both Pro and Con RG3 camps have been up in arms from day one with both trying every angle they can find to support their case? I have not seen this with other Redskin players over the years. What is at the heart of this: Is it the cost, the owner, the 2 coach’s, the media, the losing record, some thing else? IMO he has been the most talked about Redskin for years and years, Why? Can anyone explain the deep feelings that cause this debate? In my case “I just do not know, but I I know every time he is involved in something I just have to join in the debate”. Why is that?

• mjthomas85 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:03 PM

For all of the reasons you listed and more. RG3 draws attention because the Redskins draw attention, there was a massive trade, people can’t stop talking about potential vs performance, went from ROY to injury prone bench warmer, and so on.

As a result, you are going to find people always arguing for their point of view. Also, the media hasn’t let go of RG3 either and this will probably haunt the organization for the next 10-15 years, regardless of what happens. If RG3 ends up retiring 10 years from now with two super bowl rings, people will hail the team as geniuses or vilify them for letting him go somewhere else. If he does nothing for the rest of his career, they will talk about how it was the worst trade of all time or the Redskins ruined another promising talent.

Simply put, people love drama and the media (and Redskins organization) are happy to oblige.

• TheHogs - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Some good and valid points; some other incorrect ones.

Playing for a pathetically irrational and impatient fanbase also doesn’t help. Griffin is only 25, but as soon as he had *any* setback, alot of the same idiots who cheered for him with their Griffin jerseys wanted him traded or cut for the next star that they want to build up and tear down (and they’ve wanted this since 2013). Those fans don’t just do this with Griffin; Bill Barnwell had a Twitter collection of what those same idiots said about Kirk Cousins during the Skins’ losing skid with Cousins as starter, and they also did this with Colt McCoy vs. the Rams. Lucky for Blake Bortles and Derek Carr that they don’t play for this team, because those fans would want them cut halfway through their rookie seasons if the Skins didn’t win.

• hk2000 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:34 PM

I keep mentioning this, but for some reason it gets overlooked and/or trivialized: Most of the people on those threads are not real fans, in fact many are fans of rival teams whose sole purpose is to keep the drama and controversy swirling around this organization, and this also applies to the majority of the media people. being in Washington DC area is the biggest reason this team will never rid itself of the drama.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM

The hopelessly fickle fan base

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Like I’ve said frequently this kind of shortsighted, over-emotional attitude runs rampant throughout sports fandom and sports commentary, TheHogs. (Especailly in DC appearntly.)

Doesn’t may we ALL have to sit quietly by and swallow it. I for one appreciate that you, and the others here who mirror your sentiments, continue to provide another voice. Don’t let the wingnutz completely forget that there is a fairer, more rational & decent way (wow … soundin’ like a Boy Scout now!!) to react to sports.

I actually think that when this approach is reinforced and reiterated, it has a modulating effect on the tone of all these conversations. (Yours truly’s EXCEPTED of course; its hard to modulate bat-spit crazy!)

So keep up the good fight against the yahoos, and the knee-jerkers, the ill-informed and the “PFT Commenters”(I love that stuff!) of the world, TheHogs, et al. Cyberspace needs you!

• mjthomas85 - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM

Hogs, what was incorrect about the drama surrounding RG3 that causes people to talk about him?

As for the comments on Cousins and McCoy, you are absolutely correct. An irrational fan base that turns on QB’s for the littlest thing doesn’t help anyone.

Now, if we want to talk drama about RG3, just imagine if the Redskins did release him, he sings with St. Louis, and has a successful career…the media would never let that go.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM

A non-traditional black QB with a track star frame playing out of a non-traditional system that comes with a nickname and crazy socks that the team gave an additional 2nd round and 2 first rounds to draft was a good start. RG3 had detractors from the beginning and it’s a diverse group that include ones that thought the cost was too high, that are racist, that think he is a diva, that have no patience or understanding about QB development, that expect too much from a guy who shouldered a lot early on that while made his own mistakes was more mismanaged by an organization.

• bangkokben - Sep 3, 2015 at 6:25 PM

Ken, I think the issue is that a generation of Redskin fans have adopted the team of their parents or city and have known nothing but dysfunction and misery. The young generation has no Redskin experience of stability nor experience of elation from the Super Bowl victory era when winning ten wins a year seemed like a given. For this young generation, they may have experienced ten wins once. Griffin was the shining light that gave hope to ALL Redskin fans but the ONLY hope to this young generation. This to me, this explains the way folks hold on to Griffin. As to why the ones that wanted to discard him earlier, I think that has to with Griffin’s lack of understanding of his position – not quarterback, but starting quarterback of The Washington Redskins – his public image including press conferences, tweets, commercial success, and interviews combined with the losing.

• TheHogs - Sep 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM

That last sentence is incorrect, bangkokben. It has *everything* to do with losing. Griffin was the same person tweeting, giving interviews, doing commercials, etc. when the Redskins won the division in 2012.

You’re commiting the winning bias fallacy.

• bangkokben - Sep 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Exactly. All that stuff is tolerated when winning. Russel Wilson does the same stuff. Says “recovery” water, a product he promotes, helped him avoid a concussion from the hit he took from Clay Matthews in the NFC Championship. When you win, you can say, “I believe that wearing a fried egg on my head during off days is where I get the strength to play so well.” and your fans think it’s nutty but endearing. When you lose – your team loses – the fickle fans use that “stuff” as to reason why the organization is where it is. Is that correct? No, but what it does is wear on people’s patience. Do you think that if Robert Griffin had the same public demeanor as Andrew Luck, that more grace wouldn’t be afforded him? The overwhelming majority of opinion would be let’s give him more time. I’m talking public opinion as to answer to Ken’s question. I’m not talking about what the organization would do.

• TheHogs - Sep 5, 2015 at 12:45 AM

bangkokben posted: “Do you think that if Robert Griffin had the same public demeanor as Andrew Luck…”

Stop there. Absolutely not, and you’d be naive to think otherwise. A player’s so-called demeanor doesn’t help him from an irrational fan’s “patience”, and this applies to all Redskins’ QBs. Heatth Shuler, John Beck, doesn’t matter; if the Redskins don”t win, those fans want another QB under center. Those fans even wanted the quiet Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy benched when they struggled last season, and new QBs signed to the team or picked in the draft.

18. mjthomas85 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Like Rich said, there are trade-offs to keeping, trading, or releasing RG3.

Cons to keeping him:
    1. If you keep him and he does nothing all year, he may have taken a roster spot from a promising rookie that could go elsewhere.
    2. If you keep him, it invites drama and may show a lack of commitment to Kirk Cousins. That being said, drama will exist regardless of RG3…anyone remember Haynesworth, Zorn, Spurrier, etc.

Pros to keeping him:
    1. You believe he needs time to sit on a bench, hold a clip board, and develop. Now is your chance.
    2. You believe sometime in the next 10 weeks a decent trade offer will come that removes salary implications from the equation.
    3. You don’t have faith in either Cousins or McCoy, so you have RG3 as an option.
    4. You are paying him regardless (unless he’s traded) so why not keep him and work off of point 1.

I say the pros of keeping him outweigh the cons of releasing him. If he doesn’t want to sit on a bench, he can negotiate away the 5th year option to make a trade possible, which I think his agent is exploring with other teams.

19. hk2000 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Rich, you of all people know there is no way in Hell Griffin will ever do anything good under the current coach, and yet you come up with this article? Suggesting with a straight face that he plays under this coach? I for one will lose all respect for him if he accepts a decision to keep him as a 3rd string. Demand a release, even if it means giving up all the money they owe him, he’s well off and can afford to do that, then go to a team with a real coach.

20. warpath1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM

The NFL should make sure that on the first snap of the game Brady gets snapped a flat football

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Why? Are you more supportive of an overreaching and draconian narcissist like Roger Goodell I think it’s complete nonsense to suspend the guy for 4 games even tough I’m no fan of Tom Brady.

• mjthomas85 - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM

Agreed. Also, I read that Brady offered up a one game suspension and some basic concessions, but was rejected. I still can’t believe the NFL thought it would win this case. Goodell is too full of himself to realize when he doesn’t have the power to make every whim come true.

This shouldn’t surprise us though, as Redskins fans, after the $36 million cap hit we received. Unfortunately, we lost on stipulations in the CBA.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Yes that cap hit hasn’t settled for me. The NFL doesn’t mind violating laws like collusion when it goes after teams for violating a cap on a non cap year?

• warpath1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Because it would be funny. Wow dude you need to check your prescription or lighten up

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Sorry but I’ve never known you make a joke here before.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:31 PM

MJ looks to have missed you on that zinger as well.

• warpath1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:03 PM

For what it’s worth I think the owners should find a more competent commissioner

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM

I agree with you there

21. Bruce Roemmelt, EdD - Sep 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Reasons to keep RG III

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:48 PM

FREE RG3!

FREE RG3!!

FREE RG3!!!

22. wncskinsfan - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:07 PM

I can think of a sixth reason– he knows the play book. If he goes to a division rival this season, that could be a huge problem.

• mjthomas85 - Sep 3, 2015 at 3:13 PM

That is a good point. When it is all said and done, the Redskins are better off holding on to RG3 this year until they receive some form of compensation for him.

• brucefan1 - Sep 3, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Puuuleeze, mj!

What kind of playbook has Gru ever shown that ya couldn’t get out of a Cracker Jack box?! Its entirety prolly wouldn’t even fill a thimble!

(Just kidding …just KIDDING … Jay’s a great, offensive mind! I’m just trying out this disparaging, scorning approach that many here used on Griffin when he played for the Redskins! Gotta admit … there IS a soupçon of fun it it! Hehe)

FREE RG3!

23. therealistcat - Sep 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM

Anybody remember this article. Ryan Clark told y’all what Gruden was all about earlier this year. He was in the locker room. I think he would know better than anybody!

24. gasngo14 - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM

HEY FINALLY SOME GOOD NEWS !!!!

Jamison Crowder will not be suspended by the NFL for that garbage that women apparently just made up, finally something positive!!

25. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 3, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Rich TandlerVerified account
    ‏@Rich_TandlerCSN

The mystery of why Scherff went to guard-Moses to tackle is solved. Spencer Long struggles vs. Jaguars backups.
    ===========

Don’t tell me Long is yet another of high mid-round draft busts (Amerson, Libs-R-Us) etc. etc.

Danggit.
    ~

26. kenlinkins - Sep 3, 2015 at 11:13 PM

If the new GM keeps the best 53 guys on the roster, the Redskins would only have one guy who could snap the ball (center) and one TE to start the season. (and I do not see anyone growing into those positions now on the roster, no I do not think he will do that, the new GM must be concerned about both positions). IMO the new GM will be working the waiver wire and burning up the phone lines the next 4 days looking for real NFL players at both positions. Also, the defense is now my biggest concern over all. The pass rush has not shown up yet, the tackling is still very poor at DL and DB, and the DB’s are very big question marks. I hope it get better, but hope is not a plan. IMO, Still a lot of work to do before the Redskins hit 8 wins, but the Redskins are a improved team talent wise over all.

27. Mario - Sep 4, 2015 at 2:02 AM