Need to Know: Why didn’t the Redskins have a quarterback competition?

Sep 2, 2015, 5:20 AM EDT

Cousins McCoy RVA

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, September 2, three days before the Washington Redskins make their final cuts.

Why no QB competition

One of the questions that came up on Monday when Jay Gruden announced the change at quarterback was why he had stood up at the NFL Combine in February and said that the starting job belonged to Robert Griffin III.

Here was the explanation that Gruden gave:

“I didn’t want to come to every press conference and get asked who’s starting,” he said. “We put it to bed. We named Robert the starter, gave him the first reps with the guys . . . We just wanted to put all the distractions aside, play football, let these guys go out and compete and they did that.”

You can buy this explanation or not. Many don’t and that’s fine. It is good to be skeptical of what coaches say at the podium. But you can’t deny that it kept the topic of quarterbacks from overwhelming everything else during the offseason program and training camp.

For example, during the first seven days of practice at training camp in Richmond there was not a single question about the quarterback position. Not one. Would that have happened had there been an open quarterback competition with Griffin, Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy all splitting the first-team reps? I think it’s safe to say that there would have been multiple quarterback questions daily and it would have dominated the conversation.

Certainly there are disadvantages to not having a more traditional quarterback competition with the quarterbacks who are up for the job getting roughly equal numbers of snaps. Chief among them is that Cousins will go into Week 1 with just one week of solid practice work with the first team under his belt.

But that is the chance they were willing to take and I don’t think it was viewed as much of a gamble. My read on the situation is that they fully intended to start the season with Griffin behind center for at least the first part of the season until the Lions game, where he had trouble eluding pass pressure, was hit six times in eight pass attempts, and ended up with a concussion. This That, along with performances in training camp that looked passable to observers but did not represent sufficient progress in the eyes of the coaching staff, led to the decision to go to Cousins.

Perhaps they would have been better off with a competition and the accompanying media circus. But they can’t undo it now and we will have to see how it turns out.

Today’s schedule: Walkthrough at Redskins Park, closed to media

—It’s been 248 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 11 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Final cuts 3; Rams @ Redskins 18; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 22

159 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. hk2000 - Sep 2, 2015 at 6:05 AM

The only scheming Gruden did in that Lions game, was to make sure Griffin looked bad, he did nothing whatsoever in as far as scheming against the defense to give his QB a chance- T.W>was out as a precautionary measure and all of a sudden he’s good to go a week later? Gruden is a liar and a vengeful A-hole.

• Herowing83 - Sep 2, 2015 at 6:59 AM

Always with the excuses for RG3!!!! I hear people saying “there was no scheming or gameplanning thats why he looked so bad!!!” Well there wasn’t any for Kirk Cousins either and he looked good!!! So lets imagine how much better Cousins is gonna look with a gameplan and scheme.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Cousins only looked good against the backups. Against starters he there an interception, fumbled, had numerous inaccurate passes, and had 1 lucky touchdown. The Ravens Pulled their starters after the lucky touchdown.

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:12 AM

30/48, 427 yards 3TDs/1INT no sacks in 48 drop backs no fumbles.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Against backups

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM

No actually, those stats are Kirk’s first start last year, week 3 vs the Eagles… Nice try tho Tim.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Cute 214hof; however do you want to dicuss his numbers against the Giants?

19/33, 257 yards 1TD/ 4 INTs, 2 Sacks – 53.0 QBR

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM

And don’t leave out the part where the defense got shredded and it was over at halftime… Kirk threw those picks at the end of the game. Does that make it excusable? No. He shouldn’t not have pressed so hard, and tried to make every play a TD. That will come with more experience IMO. The game was over, and he forced things to happen and ended up doing more harm then good. I believe that Giants game was Kirk at his worst, You (and your Griffin protectors) believe that is just Kirk. End it Griffin lover. I’m not here to change your mind. Just to express my thoughts/opinions. If you don’t agree with it, fine. Don’t read it, don’t re-post. You’re just mad that not everyone thinks Cousins is bum like you and your RGPs.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM

“You (and your Griffin protectors) ”

214, you don’t define me about Cousins. I provide balanced feedback desiring both to succeed. It’s team first in the end. I’m not a lame fan and with lame knowledge of the game like you. You’re comments look like something that comes from Cowboy fans.

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM

I was responding to Tim’s lame, jab at Cousins, that he hasn’t had any success against starters. I provide stats that showed the contrary and you jump right it trying to back him up about how bad Cousins is lol. You RGP’s really stick together.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Loo Cousins has always bin inaccurate and has thrown the ball to the other team some have bin intercepted and some bounced off the defenders hands. There is a reason he was drafted in the 4th round and allot of people said he was drafted too high.

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM

And by always you mean his 9 starts in the NFL? Cousin holds every career passing record at MSU and is the most winningest QB in school history. Do you two make a living trolling this site looking for people looking for optimistic about Kirk? Are you on Griffin’s payroll?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM

” I provide stats that showed the contrary and you jump right it trying to back him up about how bad Cousins is lol.”

I’ll just end my discussion with you here by stating that the above comment is not true. I was just demonstrating the other side of Cousins’ game which provides a more complete picture of where he is as a NFL quarterback in 2014. Also I thought it was a tricky comment, while funny, because you appeared to present it as preseason stats. Maybe you’re ready to talk up Cousins like he is our savior while I am not. I’m cautiously supportive of Cousins because I know how he has let me down in the past when I started to believe in his abilities as a starter. If he can post many games with those numbers then we can start to celebrate our new starting QB. However, to ignore the complete picture about Cousins only adds to the dissension here.

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM

So if you’re so “cautious” about Kirk, why are you so hopelessly optimistic about Griffin? I mean besides 2012 all Griffin has been is a “let down” as the starter. So why are you and others so quick to bring up how “awful” Kirk is or how he will never be anything more then a “backup”, and yet just sign Griffin praises, and blame not only the coach but the entire offense for his short comings. It’s confuses me.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM

You must be confusing me with someone else. I have openly stated my concerns with RG3’s durability and pocket awareness. I’ve only however openly challenged the ones here that provide a very narrow analysis of RG3 while excusing everything that goes wrong around him. I’ve done the same with Cousins where I stated Cousins deserves some praise while being aware it hasn’t been with he starting unit.

The only bias I may have with RG3 is wanting him to have the opportunity to be the starting QB this season. My position is that it’s all about the potential between the two QBs. I just think RG3 has elite potential where Cousins does not. I also realize I could be wrong about both. However, I feel the best scenario to work out was to give RG3 one last shot to demonstrate this potential. I think we’ve wasted that opportunity now and we’ll find out if some other team can make him into the dangerous QB he once was in college and 2012. As for Cousins, we could have moved him into the starting role later into the season if the situation with RG3 goes bad. We could have then signed Cousins to an extension if he shows more progress and promise. I actually have no doubt Cousins can win games here as a starting QB, but I’m not high on him being able to succeed at an elite level.

• semioplex - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:10 PM

214hof, why are you such a homer for a QB who really hasn’t accomplished anything? At RG3 had a pro bowl rookie season and his second season was mediocre but still better than Cousins.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:27 PM

@ 214hof I’ve bin on this site longer than anyone besides Rich. I don’t Troll I just speak the truth. He threw picks in college every time he hit the field weather it be preseason, practice, regular season games he has either thrown interceptions or had balls bounce off the defenders hands. Instead of just looking at stats try watching the games.

You’ve bounce Trolling RG3 this year funny I haven’t seen you say anything before this year

• jp - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM

U must either be blind or stupid herowing83

• chicken1981 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:20 PM

Looked gd so throwing the ball to the other team,fumbling a snap n missing open receives n u call that playing well.Oh we’re definitely n for a long year

• therealistcat - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Your post is awesome! I thought I was the only person who noticed how this was done. In such a deceitful way. Some of the RG III haters dislike him so much that they have blinded themselves to wrong doing. I can not and will not support this coach or this team as long as Jay Gruden is here!

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Give it a rest, man. You need a new conspiracy theory.

• therealistcat - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:47 AM

You obviously have no clue what normal football operations look like! A true QB competition does not remotely resemble what we saw this year. Please dispute that! Please do it so you can be shown how weak your position really is.

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM

C’mon, show me a shred of evidence that Gruden sabatoged Griffin with the play calling or, as is now being alleged, that he pulled Trent from the game to punish Robert. I’m fine with complaints about mismanagement, chaos, dysfunction and so on (much of which I agree with), but some of the other “theories” floating about are verging into Black Helicopter Territory.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM

HK, I normally have a lot to agree with you about but I don’t think this is how it played out with Gruden. Remember that TW was also not practicing during this time. It’s a far leap of faith to believe Gruden held TW out of both practices and the game to see RG3 struggle. The one thing I try to point out about RG3 against Detroit is he really received no help from any of he players around him. Everyone seemed to struggle. Many detractors of RG3 feel he should have made things happen on his own. Well that is the rationale of fickle fans in a hurry just to get another QB behind center. In order for RG3 to do well, the players around him need to also do well. He’s not good enough yet to move the offense on his own. In my opinion, the offense as a whole is too inconsistent for RG3 to run effectively. The head coach is also the wrong coach for this kid. Honestly, I think Gruden is a limited OC with unimaginative offensive schemes. It may be best for RG3 to find another team because as long as Gruden is here, I don’t see him ever being productive.

One other thing I want to point out: I do think RG3 and Cousins are at different levels in regards to pocket presence and awareness on this offense. Cousins played all four years of college and has been running the pro set offense while working in a pocket. What is also key is that he has avoided injury. He actually may have benefited from being a backup in the NFL allowing him time to further develop his game under no pressure or other distractions. While RG3 has had to deal with what seems constant adversity as a starter. I say let Cousins have his shot. With an average arm strength that can be erratic at times, Cousins will never have the ceiling RG3 has in becoming an elite QB. However, I do think Cousins does have a high mental ceiling in running this system. If he truly has the mental grasp of the game he shows in preseason then he’ll be okay. He looks good against 90% backups, so lets see what he’ll do with 100% starters in the regular season.

• bowlregard - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:50 AM

It may be that one reason Trent Wms was held out was because they were in the middle of negotiations. Perhaps his agent didn’t want injury risk just before he was to sign his big contract.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM

I concur with this theory.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM

That’s a valid point

• manchild157 - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM

When has a coach ever listened to an agent about whether or not to play a player? If anything Trent should have sat out the Ravens game after he signed so not to get injured on a meaningless game.

• hk2000 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM

OK, I actually agree w/ most of what you point out, and I have no problems with Cousins, I really like him, I do, and I wouldn’t be surprised if one day he becomes an elite QB, but My issue regarding Griffin is that if you and I could figure it out, isn’t it logical to assume a HC with a football IQ would’ve been able to as well? The way I see it, there are 2 possibilities, He either knew Griffin was going to get crushed running those plays or he’s plain dumb- I have a hard time deciding which, but considering most fans on here think he’s the second coming of Gibbs, lets assume he knew better, which lead to the inescapable conclusion that he meant it- conspiracy or not, it’s as good as a fact in my mind.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM

My view? He knew it would be a tough test and said sink or swim. Then, was too late in throwing the life saver.

There have been beat writers that have questioned all through training camp whether the plays Griffin made during practice would’ve happened because the pass rush has to pull up and not follow through the QB.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM

I have been skewered on this board for saying that Griffin COULD develop into an Aaron Rodgers type quarterback because of his natural abilities even though I recognize that process would be long and arduous. So, I agree with you about Kirk’s ceiling compared to Griffin’s ceiling. HOWEVER, is Drew Brees that much different physically then Kirk Cousins? Couldn’t Cousins with the appropriate time in the right offense (which this is) develop into a Drew Brees type QB?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM

No its a decent comparison of the two. Drew was a much more valued QB than Kirk coming out of college. I’m not sure if Cousins can ever get to the level of Drew but as I stated I think in a system that fits Kirk well he can be productive. My question about Kirk is not whether he can win games but can he elevate us by performing well against some of the better NFL teams. It would be a great surprise that I’d take in a second if Kirk can play at Drew Brees level.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Of course he’s got a long way to get there, but as for ceiling, that’s what I see.

• therealistcat - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Your post is spot on! Despite my continued support for RG III I do realize he is not the best fit for Gruden’s system, but he is the best QB on the team. I just wish all the politics and backbiting had been left out of the equation. I would have had a lot more respect for Jay Gruden if he had just came out and said “I think Kirk is better suited to run my system” Versus all the shenanigans that he pulled, which further set Griffin back. He does have the most upside of all the QB’s on that team (seen that in cam this year), so I am prayerful that he will have the opportunity to reset his career, whether it be here or somewhere else.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:55 AM

It seems like both of us have little love for Gruden. I hated the choice when it was made and last season just reaffirmed by frustration with him as a head coach. I can’t control that and all I can do now is hope Gruden has the support around him to make this team competitive. If RG3 thrives elsewhere the organization will be an even bigger laughing stock than it already is. Just check some of the comments out there from other fans. We have to be the least respected organization in the NFL right now and rightfully so.

• renhoekk2 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM

TWIll has missed one start in his career. Explain all of the other sacks and poor performances from Griffin the last two years? I guess both Shanahan and Gruden were calling bad plays just to make Griffin look bad? RIght?

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM

(Crickets.)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:39 PM

1) Torn MCL/ACL with a bone graph off the other leg.
        2) Rehabilitation instead of preparations for season 2
        3) Premature return with a bulky knee brace and no OTAs or TCs
        4) Front office collapse mid season 2013
        5) Coaching Change
        6) Rookie Coach
        7) Offense by said rookie coach where every position on the offense was worst. This includes a once respectable running game that lost credibility.
        8) Rookie Coach unprepared to handle a head coach role and offensive duties while supposedly brought here to develop RG3 into a pocket passer.

If your company is managed and ran poorly then everyone’s performance at work will suffer. This fact doesn’t escape the NFL.

• chicken1981 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:30 PM

Try he was coming off of major surgery n never really had a training camp his second year n learning a new system last year.Do Ppl realize that maybe Cousin gets the ball out faster n thats why he throws way more INT’s.So maybe if he held the ball a little long n not throw it to the other team he might get sacked more?

• puckfillyandduckfallas - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Explain how Gruden made RG3 look bad. Kirk came in and played with the same line. Smith was playing LT.

• chicken1981 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:34 PM

It was against bk up’s.U do know that rite n against the Lions did RG3 have J.Reed like Cousin got afforded against the ravens.Ppl dislike RG3 so much that they don’t want to say that the playing fields weren’t even

• berniebernard666 - Sep 2, 2015 at 4:38 PM

hk2000….you are stupid. Nothing else needs to be said.

2. sidepull - Sep 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM

I don’t think they had a QB competition just for a couple reasons. One being to alleviate the RG3 fatigue factor by having the onslaught of questions regarding how the QB competition was progressing. Two, to instill in rg3 a sense of confidence so he would not being looking over his shoulder. I think they hoped it would improve performance. Just the mere fact that they picked up the option pointed to the fact that they were going to start him barring injury. Now they have found themselves in this position with a contract that makes a trade very unattractive.

I have a hard time believing it all came down to the Detroit game. That they had seen enough. I thought the plan was to start Robert all season good or bad, see what you have got. He did not make it out of preseason without being injured. I was surprised by the turn of events. I always thought Robert was a fantastic athelete but that his Achilles heel would be availability due to injury. Thats it. They get rid of him and he will make a resurgence somewhere provided he can shake the injuries.

Cousins needs to take note. Nothing is ever how it appears here in Asburnastan. The water is always murky. Too much like politics and less like football. I hope Scots plan is to try to get back to more football less drama.

• bowlregard - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Naming him the starter, exercising the option, they did everything they could to support RG. They gave him every opportunity to succeed.

• shermanp79 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Without serious attitude adjustments and proper work he will never even be a quality back up. Especially true since he isn’t willing to be open minded and listen to coaching. He cant and has refused to be the qb of his R year, He said he wont do it and that is when he is injured. The difference in the vibe of the team since Cousins was named also tells you how far players feel he has to go. They know Cousins is a team guy not a ‘me’ guy

This was the plan from the start. with what they have seen with cousins just quicken the pace when the had the injury excuse. they had to do it this way. I’m not distressed about it at all. Any quality organization would of done the same. In NE you get what they want you to get. It’s all about media distractions. So I don’t see this as negative.

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Hahaha! Still with those weak, unprovable allegations, Sherm!

You don’t know ANY of that BS, Paul. So why you still spewing it like fact

Y.ou may “assume” what you allege — you may even think it — but you don’t have a SHRED of proof to support it.

As a matter of fact, both Cousins and Gruden blow yer claims up by saying the OPPOSITE about Griffin in the last few days!! All you have are allegations made by “who knows”, to “who knows”. Gimme one name of either a player (ANY player on ANY team) or any reporter who will verify your claim. Just one brave whistleblower!

But, just like in the last million times you’ve made those allegations, you can’t.

As usual, you seem very willing to dismiss the words of actual men, made in front of a mic, and believe the words of …. NOBODY?, made behind people’s back — as long as they fit your anti-Griffin agenda.

Sad, Sherm. Sad.

3. 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 6:58 AM

I find it hard to believe that TWO coaches in a row could not work with him, I don’t think it’s a coincidence. It’s funny how all you guys have all the faith in the world that Griffin can sort out his laundry list of problems and become a great QB, but Cousins on the other hand cannot overcome his “interception problem”. Kirk has thrown INTs I get it, but Griffin has been a “fumbler”. I seem to remember Griffin putting the ball on the ground two, three times a game and most of the time losing at least one of them. I don’t hear any of you referring to Griffin as a “turnover machine” tho.

• nathansworldorder - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:34 AM

214hof, exactly!!!

• warpath1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Common denominator, griffen

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Don’t forget his sack rate, either. Robert’s sack rate has always been through the roof. Granted, taking a sack is preferable to throwing a pick, but coupled with the fumbles that’s a lot of lost yards and missed opportunities.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:59 AM

The sacks are a legitimate problem for RG3 but what is your point? Are you suggestion there is no fixing that issue?

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM

There is the possibility of fixing the issue, yes, just as there’s the possibility that Griffin’s fumbling issue improves or Kirk’s interception rate improves. I was simply building upon 214hof’s argument that Griffin partisans are quick to point out the flaws of the other QBs on the roster and slow to acknowledge that Robert has serious flaws as well (in this case, related to turnovers and/or loss of yardage). Whether those flaws are fixable goes in part to that central issue of coachability. As 214hof mentioned, two head coaches have had problrms working with Robert. How coachable is he? I don’t know, but I have my suspicions.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM

“I was simply building upon 214hof’s argument that Griffin partisans are quick to point out the flaws of the other QBs on the roster and slow to acknowledge that Robert has serious flaws as well (in this case, related to turnovers and/or loss of yardage).’

ET this is going both ways and this is what happens when you have a divided fan base. However, RG3’s issues with taking sacks and comfort in the pocket have been brought up.

• manchild157 - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Sacks can be improved on with a very good oline but the next tier of concern is the hits after throwing the ball. Best thing for Griffin is to either go to a team where he’s behind a fundamentally sound qb where it’s spelled out that he’s not a starter, he’s here to learn and be a backup. The next option would be to retire.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM

RG3 going to a team with stable coaching and a sound starting QB is not a bad options for him. He’s 25 and by 27 while under the good mentoring, he could be a dangerous QB again. A part of me would smile if he came back and stuck to Gruden but then again I don’t expect Gruden here for another two seasons.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:55 AM

The first coach made a ROY out of RG3 and had one struggling season from a player coming back from a MCL/ACL tear. Give it a break with the misinformation and innuendos that you try to pass off as fact. If you ask Shanahan, he has publicly stated issues in Washington were from Snyder’s influence on RG3 and not RG3.

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Well said hof. There seems to be an interesting dynamic forming here where every one of Griffens flaws is explained away as not his fault and everyone of cousins successes is explained away as in spite of him.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:10 AM

That’s selective reading on your part. I know I and a few others who still support RG3 have pointed out his issues. I’ve also provided support for Cousins why trying to be realistic with his performance. However, there are others here, that need not be mentioned, that do nothing but blame RG3 while calling dropped passes and blown protection as part of the game. It’s everywhere so please come back to reality.

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Your absolutely right that the view of griffin would be entirely different if garçon had just caught that ball. It just seems that every mention of cousins comes with his int, fumble and “lucky TD” as if Griffen wasn’t fumbling the ball as well.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Griffen has 2 more fumbles than Cousins last season so if you add the overall turnovers Cousins only committed two more than RG3. I think with Cousins it’s how the turnovers occur in a hurry. Fans don’t remember the decent games a QB plays. They only remember the great and horrendous ones.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Moving forward, we need to see Cousins make improvement in protecting the ball – including fumbles. Only 46 quarterbacks have had at least 500 pass attempts in the past two seasons. Cousins is on the bottom of the list in TO percentage (1 per every 29 dropbacks). That’s worse than Jay Cutler, Matt Schuab, and Christian Ponder. Heard on “the man cave.” at the 27:14 mark on this link

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Snaps not pass attempts. 3.4% of plays. So if the Redskins have 65 plays in a game, Kirk has usually made two turnovers.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Nice find there! This is especially telling since this team can’t win a game while losing a turnover battle.

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Most teams can’t win while losing the turnover battle. The issue becomes even more noticeable with a porous defense that can’t manage takeaways on a consistent basis. Hopefully we improve our giveaway / takeaway numbers this year, or it’ll be a long season.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Teams with 2 or more turnovers a game only win that game 33% of the time. I heard that Stat on Mike and Mike

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Not everything that happens in Kirk Cousins starts is the fault of Kirk Cousins. Again the old double standards here to protect Griffin I think. He was overloaded at times last year and not ready to sling 40 times pr game like they asked him to do. In a more balanced game these problems will become less visible. What people seem to forget is that if the opponent KNOWS you´re passing the ball on every snap you will get a lot more interceptions, because opposing LBs will prepare themselves to rush under throwing lanes on every snap, rather than say rushing the passer, which is what they would obviously do if Griffin was playing.
        I think Kirk will look very different this year because now he is actually the announced starter and they will gameplan every game with Kirk´s skillset in mind from beginning to end. Limit him to 30 throws or so pr game and you´ll see fewer interceptions, a better running game and, quite possibly, a winning season here. He´s good enough for a winning season with this team if he can limit the interceptions. Anyone who says otherwise must not have watched Kirk´s play in detail. He is without any question a highly skilled QB who has been put in some very difficult positions by this team, and by Griffin, and has dealt with all of it like a complete pro.
        People only truly grow and become better through failure and adversity. Kirk has been through that and was dead and buried on this team less than a year ago. He responded to that by picking himself up, working his ass off in the OS and now he´s the starter. And he´s earned it.

Now he just needs to keep the job. I think he will.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:57 PM

There is zero need to ‘bring up double standards’ or MAKE excuses for last season.

First two words: MOVING FORWARD. I’ve been consistent with my take on both QBs. If Griffin was starting the opener, sure there would be the same shite flung about, but I would state and have stated what we needed to see from Griffin.

A lot has been made about Kirk’s interceptions and the TEAM can help by running the ball and playing stout defense (sound familiar here?) BUT that doesn’t mean that Kirk doesn’t need to protect the ball better. Kirk showed a lot of positive things against Baltimore and that needs to be shown consistently. When the play breaks down, in the past, Kirk had trouble. The first time the play broke down against Baltimore, Cousins forced the play resulting in an interception. How would he respond to adversity? He responded by fumbling the next snap which Morris recovered. BUT THEN, he responded GREAT and later overcame instances when the plays broke down. Sure, there will be growing pains with Cousins and I won’t be calling for McCoy or see-I-told-you-soing when Kirk turns the ball over (ALL QBs turn over the ball), but don’t expect the ‘double standards’ to stop from others. There are a whole bunch of folks here that will sharpen there knives and attack you and those who preferred Cousins because of the WAY you gave your opinion and HOW you failed to see your own inconsistencies. Should they do this? No. Do they care? No. Do you care? No. Then the “hater” label will be on the other foot until we win consistently which I agree can happen this year with Cousins as long as the coach, quarterback, and team in general improve.

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:02 PM

I agree with most of this. But there was no breakdown on the interception I think. It was a screen pass so it came out precisely when it was supposed to come out. In regular season Baltimore would almost certainly have responded to that screen look by changing from a 3-4 to a 4-deep and Suggs wouldn´t have been there to catch the pass. But they didn´t change, call it lazy, PS vanilla, whatever. Whatever the case, Cousins didn´t respond that that at all, but ran the play as as scripted without adjusting to the defense. So it was Cousins mistake but there wasn´t a breakdown. That was not him forcing anything like he did last year but simply him not thinking quickly enough pre-snap.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:12 PM

Here’s Cooley’s take on the interception 25:00 to 26:10

• berniebernard666 - Sep 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Skulb I can’t believe I am agreeing with you again. I guess you see the same thing that I see. Kirk Cousins is NOT the same quarterback he was in high school, or college, or even his first year. Experience is a great help to people and time heals everything.

Cousins went to Jon Grudens QB camp in the off season. He has been working with Matt Cavenaugh just like Griffin. And Kirk has been in the film room studying his mistakes as well. This guy is working HARD to be better than he was and anyone who is a Redskins fan should jump on board and give Captain Kirk the SAME chance that RG3 had…..Cousins should be able to play his way off the team…but until then…he should be considered a winner and he should get support….JUST LIKE GRIFFIN DID…..before he played his way to the bench.

Griffin did not lose his job because Garcon dropped ONE pass. Not because of injury. But because Griffin stinks as a drop back quarterback and is slow processing information. Maybe its all the concussions…but Griffin is SLOWWWWW…..processing what he sees on the field. That is a fact.

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Don´t worry about the people who are unwilling or unable to face the music on this site. It´s literally three people in complete denial of reality who spend all day long trolling Rich Tandler´s blog by shooting down anyone with any sense at all. To them any criticism of Griffin is heresy while any praise of Cousins must be immediately mocked. They´ll become more and more quiet as this season progresses. Cousins will see to that. And their hero will be cit next week and the entire argument will become moot. He´ll never step onto the field again would be my guess. Why would anyone sign this guy? Not even the New York Jets are interested. That should end the “debate” right there really. The fricking Jets turned down a trade, even if Griffin waives his injury clause! And they should! I would.

• berniebernard666 - Sep 2, 2015 at 4:58 PM

exactly. When nobody is willing to trade for you and they want to pick you up cheap, THAT should send a signal about your value. However, I am sure Griffin will have a difficult time going ANYWHERE because he wants one of those 100 million dollar contracts because in his mind, he is Aaron Rodgers.

• shermanp79 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM

finally!! Someone who gets it!!

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:55 PM

When did you ever hear either Shannahan or Gruden say they “couldn’t work with” Griffin?

You gotta link… or is that all just more hot air?

4. therealistcat - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM

This is absolutely crazy to me???! What real coach would play a QB competition out like this? RG III was running with the 1’s up until last Friday at the air force base. Gruden even came out and said we are getting him ready to play Saturday against the Ravens. It wasn’t until the mysterious doctors note came out that things changed. It is absolutely crazy that people are debating the fallacy behind how this was done. Griffin was unequivocally given the least amount of game reps. Despite him looking good in Camp this year—–Rich I know you saw this too! He was never put in a pistol or read option set (his strength); both Kirk and Colt were (plus being given almost all of the game reps). You people make no sense to me? Even if you don’t like the man, how can you turn a blind eye to how this was done and accept it? Because you don’t like somebody you ignore the facts? Ridiculous!

• 214hof - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:43 AM

It’s PRESEASON. meaning STARTING QBs usually get one or two series the first to games (more if they’re rookies or new to the scheme) then play a half in the 3rd game. Griffin was barely able to muster a first down, that’s why the snap count looks so lopsided between him and the other qbs. If Griffin was able to put together two good 8-12 play drives the first two games it would have been more the norm as far as starters go. But he didn’t, he was 3 and out most of the time. As for him not running the pistol or read option, he doesn’t need to work that craft, it’s second nature to him, what he needed was work in the pocket with live bullets flying at him. Why is that so crazy?

5. warpath1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:35 AM

The obvious answer is usually right. Gruden at the end of last year said there would be competition, but Dan the man overruled that and told him to name griffin the starter. Only after terrible qb play was gruden able to convince him otherwise

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Do you have a link that backs up this insightful revelation?

• warpath1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM

No, but go back and read the last twenty years of local Redskins news, the meddling evidence is in there. Get back to me when your done

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Sorry, you’re just lost in 2003 since that is about the last time Snyder had any say in personnel on this team. Get back to me when you return to the present.

• berniebernard666 - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM

wow……redskinsnameisheretostay …..you’re delusional like Griffin. Dan Snyder has no say or control???? WOW. You really are out of touch.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM

Delusional is buying information that isn’t substantiated anywhere. Every player that has played under Snyder states pretty much the same that he has let the football personnel he hired to determine choices on players and starters. This is includes recent statements from Chris Cooley and Ryan Clark. I’ll provide them for you if you can manage using Google. However, provides some facts that indicate otherwise and stop buy into the media fluff.

6. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Can’t wait for the real games to start. Enough of the soap opera, already.
    ~

• sidepull - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM

RG3 Fatigue. Bring on the games.

7. celeoinc - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:39 AM

There was a QB competition. Kirk x Colt. Gruden had already made his decision last year that Griffin was not going to be his QB. I’m not defending Griffin. All what I’m saying is that Gruden is a liar and a terrible person. Again, I like Coisins a lot and I will root for him just as much as I would for RG3.

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:07 AM

I don’t get why everyone says things like gruden is a horrible person. Because after Robert said he can’t do it all by himself gruden said Robert needs to worry about Robert? What’s the big deal there? Remember when hof coach bill parcells called terry Glenn she? Nobody was saying parcells was in the wrong.

• celeoinc - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Hahaha you can be a horrible person when you are also a hall of famer! Seriously though, I believe Cousins is the best QB for his system and I also believe that RG3 would never work with Gruden. No problem there. I hated the way he went about things though. That press conference on Monday was just a big lie. He better be careful because if the first games don’t go his way, I believe he will lose that lockerroom very quickly.

• hk2000 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM

I agree. Not only that, he is not that good of a coach either, even if he wasn’t a liar and a jerk, we’d still be doomed. I do like Cousin’s but this coach will fail regardless who the QB is.

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Most coaches are liars. Charley casserly said that he feels griffin has had 3 great OC’s in the shanahans and gruden. Granted that’s just his opinion but I’d wager it’s a more educated opinion than most of ours on here. What makes him so bad that people want him fired after his first year where he won one more game than his predecessor?

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:23 AM

You and me are of the same opinion on this. Somehow, Gruden destroyed all that was good with the Redskins. Newsflash Gruden haters, anything that was still good with the Redskins after Shanahan left was smoke and mirrors.

8. cowboyhater - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM

It’s so hard to read these comments in terms of the excuses that are being made for RG’s demise. Bottom line…he just doesn’t look ready to be a starting QB in this league. I think he eventually will be an average…to possibly a little above average QB. Randell Cunningham ran into this same scenario, and finally later in his career when he found out his legs were more of a detriment than an asset he became very effective in the pocket, but right now you have a coach who needs to prove to a new GM that he can get this team moving on the offense, and RG is not ready to do that. Cousins is just more suited to this offense, but it doesn’t mean he will be successful either. I still think our future QB is either in the draft, or possibly on another team. Who knows, if Cousins gets hurt, and Colt is ineffective, RG may be able to come back at the end of the year and show that he can indeed be the QB for this team…I doubt it, but I have seen stranger things happen with this team ever since Snyder became owner.

9. timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Where were all these people running their mouths about RG3 in 2012???? A bunch of flip flippers 2 down years screaming for a change. That’s the problem with this teamno concistancy. Cousins has NEVER SHOWN GREATNESS RG3 has Period

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:56 AM

I don’t think people would be holding 2014 cousins over 2012 Griffen. Unfortunately 2014 griffin doesn’t remotely resemble 2012 griffin.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM

It’s September man. Change your calendar.

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Haha 2015!

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Glad you have sense of humor!

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Wake me up…

~

10. pastorbobs - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM

THE ONLY REASON there was not a “competition” at QB is Dan Snyder. The only reason RG3 was handed the job after last year is Dan Snyder. Dan forced the staff to put RG3 as #1, and Jay had to stand up and try his best to defend something he didn’t believe in his heart at every interview.

They hired a QB coach and tried to get RG3 to get better in the pocket because that’s what he thinks he is. Remember RG3 demanded they not run the read option, RG3 had something to do with Snyder picking a pocket QB type coach.

Trouble is RG3 can’t play QB from the pocket. So after his repeated mistakes, media blunders, and the offense looking horrible, Dan Snyder FINALLY decided to take his hands off and give the coach the open window to choose his QB. It took only a day or so for the announcement to come out.

Anything else is just BS. Don’t know if Kirk is the long term answer but RG3 is definitely not.

• warpath1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Right there with you bob, anyone who doesn’t see that isn’t looking

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Really? Well it looks like we just need Bob and War to be posting comments here since they have all the answers.

11. Brad - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM

I can’t believe people still think RG3 is the best QB on this team! It’s mind blowing! Sure Kirk threw Ints last year, that’s because you shouldn’t have a nine game starter throw the ball 40-50 times a game. Gruden cannot afford to abandon the run this year. I’ll guarantee you that Cousins will be fine as long as we pound the rock 30 times a game.

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Nice!

12. brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I’m dying to find out where Scot comes down on all of this! It would go a looooong way to alleviating all the questions and doubts that Rich referred to above (“You can believe this or not. Many don’t and that’s fine”).

By just coming out and saying SOMETHING — like that he believes in this move; that as a staff they ALL decided to go this way together; that he feels that Robert had AMPLE time to prove himself in the preseason and didn’t do so; that he’s 100% behind his coach (weeellllll, maybe not “precisely” HIS coach); or agree with Jay that even tho they repeatedly SAID it was Griffin’s job, all that actually was just one of those BIG LIES that we see so much in sports (and politics) — which they can’t believe RG actually bought into !! — would bail Gru out substantially.

Cmon Scot, just come out and back the coach so he doesn’t look like he’s the only one who blew smoke up the backsides of the fans, the media, and the NFL on this topic cuz y’all couldn’t face the consequences of telling the TRUTH! Don’t let Baby Huey (Hey! I use ta love Baby Huey cartoons! I see a lot of him in Jay!) just swing in the polluted breeze of this subterfuge like that. Don’t do ‘im like dat!!

Like Green Day sings Scot , We Are The Waiting!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM

I think Scot is letting Gruden make this decision and own it. This is most likely the defining moment for Gruden’s career here as a head coach. The decision to cut RG3 or keep on the roster will be Scot’s

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:45 AM

So ya think McC’s not touching this one with a ten foot pole huh?

Taking ZERO ownership for this decision (even tho you’d think he would if he endorsed it, no?).

Lettin Gru get collared with this toilet seat all on his lonesome.

SMART move on Scot’s part! Nice! (He may have some politician in him, after all. ;^} )

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM

I do and McC stated back in May that he doesn’t make the call on who starts at QB. He let’s the coaches make it. McC has been very clear about not giving up on RG3 so it’ll be interesting to see what call he makes on him after the concussion is cleared. Gruden’s call has put McC in a precarious situation since sitting him leaves an even bigger question about should he keep RG3 on the roster and further risk being on the hook with a 16 million dollar option.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM

I don’t expect Scot to say anything before the final preseason game. The only people who want to hear from him right now are SOME of Griffin’s supporters. So my expectation is we will hear from him when this situation is resolved especially if he is trying to move Griffin. The resolution will come sometime after the final 53 roster unless a trade is made before hand. There is no way he’s going to tip his hand on this. For what benefit?

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Only Griffin supporters? Why would they want to hear Scot throw RG even further under a bus?

And wouldn’t Gruden supporters want to hear their guy backed up in light of the fact that some seem to be doubting his veracity?

Scot’s just leaving doubts lingering, and allowed controversy to fester. (Unless you consider the revelation that the “Griffin is our starter!” claim was always just a sham is not controversial?)

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM

I’ve only heard some of Griffin’s supporters voice the need to hear from the GM. I don’t see how him taking questions benefits the team. Gruden had a presser and answered everything. You don’t have to believe his answers so McC has to “back up” his coach? Why would he have to answer for “Gruden” making Griffin the starter and then changing his mind?

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM

There’s no reason for the GM to say anything. If he said anything other than “Gruden is on his own with this decision because I think Robert is clearly better” people’s opinions on the matter wouldn’t change. The narrative would just become”scot is allowing gruden to hang himself so that when he fires him next year he can say he had his back and didnt obstruct him in any way”

• warpath1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Not scots job to comment unless picking or getting rid of personnel. Tradition gm responsibilities

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:33 PM

That’s correct warpath! looks like some people are trying to make a mountain out of a ant pile !!!!

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM

No but he can´t be seen making this decision, even though everyone knows he did. Formally it is Gruden´s decision and he´s the one who will face the firing squad if it turns sour. That way Scot can stay on as GM without being implicated in the coaching decisions of Gruden. It seems clear to me that Snyder did not trust Gruden´s very clear evaluation of RGIII last year and that he forced Gruden to announce Griffin as the starter back in February. He probably trusts Scot though, and when he came back reporting the same thing Gruden did the plug was pulled.
      But it needs to be seen as Gruden´s decision. It´s his job, not Scot´s. So I don´t think you´ll eveer get anything out of Scot on this issue. Not in a million years.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Why does everyone know Scot is making the call? Before any controversy whatsoever the GM clearly announced he doesn’t make the call on who starts at QB. Good GM’s know where to stay out of decisions. It’s football sense that the coach sets the starting line up while the GM brings in the players. Any other assumptions are uninformed and unsubstantiated.

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Well because that´s the only explanation for why Gruden absurdly announced Robert as the starter when the entire football watching public already knew that he had absolutely no faith in him. This couldn´t have been Gruden´s call: If it truly was his decision he would probably have traded Griffin before the draft even happened, and while you still might have been able to get a conditional fifth or something for him.
          The only thing that makes sense is that part of Scot´s mandate from Snyder was to give RGIII a last chance to make the cut as the Redskins starting QB. I think the result of that was that Snyder finally felt totally isolated in the club as the sole person interested in playing Griffin and that he finally caved after the noncussion. I imagine fierce lobbying by Scot in the meantime to make sure they did not have to start Griffin in Baltimore. You want your starting QB to start that game and no way was Scot going with Griffin after this PS.
          So Gruden´s call from last year was ratified by Scot and out the door went Griffin. It just needs to look like Gruden´s decision because it´s his job and his responsibility. Anything else would announce publicly that Gruden is a neutered puppet who is being prevented from doing his job by upper management. Not even the Redskins are that dysfunctional.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM

It’s not the only explanation. Your just hooked on this soap opera narrative.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I think we need to queue the “As The World Turns” opening song with your narratives. Those are complete assumptions and innuendos that somehow you find as the only rational explanation. I’ll rely on the facts!

McCloughan stopped short of guaranteeing that Griffin will be on the opening-day roster, but reiterated his belief that NFL teams shouldn’t throw in the towel on talented young quarterbacks.

“I think you need to give him some time,” McCloughan told WNEW-FM, via the Washington Post. “It’s the most important position on the field for any organization.”

Drawing comparisons to Alex Smith’s early stint with the 49ers, McCloughan identified the need to surround Griffin with a strong rushing attack and a more reliable offensive line.

Ultimately, it will be Gruden — not McCloughan — who chooses the Week 1 starter.

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Well this is basically what Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley and Ryan Clark are saying now as well. I don´t know what makes you think you´re in a better position than they are to evaluate the actions and PR of a high profile NFL franchise. Just answer one question: Why in the world would Gruden announce RGIII as the starter after last season when he clearly didn´t want RGIII as his QB?
          Just this one question should be enough to see that your position is flawed. It can´t have been Gruden´s decision because it doesn´t make any sense. And if it doesn´t make any sense something else has to be the truth. Forensics 101 man. Read some Sherlock Holmes.

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Skulb this guy nameishere will argue RG3 untill he is dead or mom takes down the posters in his room!!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:03 PM

“Why in the world would Gruden announce RGIII as the starter after last season when he clearly didn´t want RGIII as his QB?’

I can only assume but I thought it was the smart thing to do. I expect Gruden wanted to give RG3 one more try and most importantly squash the media frenzy. It would have been much more difficult to control the media and rumors if he announced Cousins as the starter. I’d also expect that Gruden may have felt obligated to go with RG3 which developing him is why he was hired. So it makes sense to me that he’d want to demonstrate to the FO and public that he is giving his best shot to own up to his primary obligation. I also don’t doubt there was pressure for him to make a call on who is the starter early on. That I believe could have been pushed on him by Scot and the FO.

Look, I respect your opinion even if I think it’s based on a lot of fluff. Trust me, I enjoy these type of discussions with friends while throwing down some beers. I have a few that would agree with you. I just have to agree to disagree with you.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Look Gas, you are one creepy little man. I really don’t care for you to provide any of your opinions about me. You have always been a troll wanting attention. I don’t know why you like to follow me around so much. Regardless, how about you and I agree to not get directly involved in any comments going further? If you want to continue on with you child like behavior well just know that my ignoring you has every bit to do with that fact you really FREAK me out!

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM

nameishere You creep us out with your love affair with Bob!

13. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Maybe, just maybe; pulling RG3 from the starting position and away from most of the spotlight will help him. I still think cutting RG3 after clearing a concussion is most likely the next step. However, if the team doesn’t cut him then he can focus 100% on improving as a Quarterback. The only reason I think there is a chance he won’t get cut is because Scot has been clear about not giving up on RG3 who some forget is still a young quarterback. It’s the best case scenario I can imagine under the current situation.

• sidepull - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Yea, RG3, he’s young, big arm, and still quick. Its too bad its come to this. Its all a big calculated gamble. I used to think it was more of a power play by Snyder but not right now, Could the team wind up with egg on their faces? Sure. Its nothing new. Id like to see them hold on to Robert.

The football people are now acting like football people. Blame Gruden all you want but I think Scot has evaluated the QB’s. Let that sink in. Scot is running this show now. Lets see what happens after the season starts. I am a Redskin fan. I want them to succeed. Some stuff I read I swear its as if some just want the Redskins to keep pressing the fail button. Robert is not going to start the Miami game. OK next man up. Nothing we say is going to change that fact. Better to accept it and move on eh?

• sidepull - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:05 AM

I meant collective “you” not you personally redskinsname….

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Yeah, I guess this is a time when Gru’s supporters hope they we will ask as few questions as possible and sheepishly accept what he decides. Baaaaaa! LOL

But sidepull thinks Scot is in accordance with Gru’s assessment; redskinname opines that Scot is leaving it entirely up to Gru! What the heck? Me? I don’t know — but just for some closure I’d love to find out– let the chips fall where they may.

But, as many may have figured out, I’ve never felt comfortable leaving this momentous decision solely in the hands of Gru. IMHO, he’s never done nothing to show he’s up to it. But if McCloughan is allowing him to do so, then I’ll go along with it.

Doesn’t mean I can’t question it, tho. And if they get answered in the positive I’ll be the first to admit it.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I mostly agree but as I’ve stated here I don’t think Scot is involved at all in the call to start Cousins. GM provides the players coaches provide the starters. I think GM is just letting the coach do the job he was hired to do.

• goback2rfk - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM

RG3 is cut like a filet o fish. No way he stays on the team. There is seemingly no justification for it. RG3 is cooked like a fresh hog. He will take a back up role somewhere and float around the league like a sail boat with a mast. I do not see RG3 becoming a starting QB anywhere. The media keeps saying he will take over for Peyton Manning in Denver when the time comes. roflcopters

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:19 AM

All. Good points, name!

Especially the last one about clearly not wanting to give up on a young QB. Wonder if he thinks a freshly-released RG3 would get scooped up in a nonce, and be developed properly elsewhere.

(Along those lines, name, d’ja see how Bill Polian said he’d have HIS scouts looking “awfully hard” at adding Griffin to HIS club? He said one those things you said; RG is still only 25. Also that he STILL has very good speed, a strong arm, is a ” SUPREMELY talented athlete”.)

But then, if Scot determines that “RGMe” is nothing but a locker room cancer, whose selfish antics serve to distract, divide & disgust the team — as so many here have sworn over the last two years — then Mac’s gotta kick him to the curb ASAP, no questions asked.

But it seems like the Bill Polians of the world (i.e., the SMART kids) will be curbside, waiting!

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:26 AM

I don’t think Scot would think anything you said tongue-and-cheekedly about “RGMe.” But Griffin has the ability to be a distraction on the level of Tim Tebow. Neither needs to bring attention to themselves (although Robert or his interns could) and still teammates will be asked about them.

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM

You GOT the tongue in cheek approach, ben!

Great! I knew that you would. (That’s why I didn’t add any “LOL” ‘s) LOL!

Of course I knew that neither Scot nor the team would think any of that. It was more directed to those who come on here and STILL post that tripe(or at least want to!).

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Nice post! That’s is an important factor some hit on in other articles. If RG3’s presence is creating dissension in the locker room then I think McC will not tolerate it and move on to cutting the former ROY.

14. mrfubar - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:15 AM

He has had plenty of chances, all 3 QBS ran the same plays but only 2 of them ran the competently and one of those was not Griffin. He has proven he cannot read Defenses cannot properly drop back and cannot see open receivers even when they are 10 yards in front of him. I wanted Griffin to return to 2012 for but he doesn’t want to run the 2012 offense he wants to be a pocket passer. He cannot operate in the pocket, this has been proven for 2 years now. Is Cousins the answer who knows for sure. But at least he knows how to play a pro / pocket passing system that Griffin has proven he cannot run. It’s as simple as that. Redskins fans want at least a chance at right now it appears our best chance is Cousins. Griffin did this to himself by not progressing.

15. Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Gruden has nothing to do with any of this now. He made his feelings about RGIII very clear last year and was overruled. This camp and PS was Scot being tasked with evaluating RGIII for Snyder, before telling Gruden the RGIII experiment was at an end after the Detroit game because Griffin was so bad. My take is that they cooked up the noncussion to cushion the blow of admitting that RGIII is the biggest draft bust in NFL history. It gave Griffin a way to save face, which he did not take advantage of with his unprofessional “I don´t work here” presser, and let Gruden play Kirk for the dress rehearsal so he would be prepared for the opener, without facing the biggest media storm of the year.
    It´s not just his 13 bad passes from the PS games but about 40 from the scrimmage and maybe 300 from camp. They have loads and loads of film, including from last season, to base this decision on. All these conspiracy theories people spouted on this site to muddle the issue and excuse Griffin are ridiculous. If you can´t see that he is unable to run an NFL offense you simply do not know anything about football. It´s not the play calling. It´s Griffin not being able to run any plays at all the way they´re supposed to be run.

If you make an effort you can find the play when Smith released the edge rusher and was bulled by the end back into Griffin for a sack. Then you can find Baltimore running this exact same play against Kirk. The guy who sacked RGIII was not Smith´s responsibility. They had seven defenders against a 6 man front. One guy was supposed to be unleashed. That was the play and a good QB knows what to do with that. It controls where the rush comes from so you can burn the blitz, which Kirk did all night long in Baltimore.
    Then look at what the two QBs did. RGIII slid the line over to release his left edge rusher as he was supposed to do, didn´t do a dropback; a hop half a yard down the hatch at most; did not plant his leg and clutched the ball when he should have released it.
    Kirk did exactly the same thing at first: slid the line to control where the rush would come from, made a proper three step dropback, which was slightly diagonal to buy himself a little extra time to make the throw, planted his foot and released for a completion. The rusher was, because of Kirk´s smart dropback, still half a second away from Kirk when he threw the ball.

Analyze those two plays until you´re blue in the face and maybe you will finally understand why Kirk is the starter now and Robert´s career is over. Kirk did not take even one sack in the dress rehearsal. Zero. Do you really think that Trent Williams returning all of a sudden turns the O-line into the Great Wall here? Why didn´t they just rush the right side of the line if it´s so horrible that people cry “conspiracy!” when Robert gets sacked all night long?
    To me this is the most sound football decision anyone has made in DC in a long time. The conspiracy was playing Griffin long after he made it clear that he wasn´t the guy for the job.

• hail74 - Sep 2, 2015 at 11:55 AM

That’s some pretty good analysis there!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM

If you want to make a movie out of it

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Or, you know, actually analyze football and PR. But who wants that when we can just go on emotional conspiracy rants right?

• ET - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Disagree, but you still made me laugh.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM

“emotional conspiracy rants ”

To me, that’s exactly what you’re providing:
          Emotional – Because it’s supports your belief that all Redskins internally feel RG3 is not an NFL starter
          Conspiracy – Because nothing out there that is factual corroborates with your narrative.

However, I’ll stick by what I think is a more logical scenario. Scot has already stated that the coaches have final say on the starter. I’ll also go by what NFL has generally understood with both the GMs role and the coaches role. Did anyone doubt that Gibbs made the final call as to who starts when Beathard was GM? Did Scot and Gruden have internal discussions about the starting QB before the announcement? Sure, but it’s absolutely sensible to suggest that Scot stated his own position but in the end told Gruden it’s his call so run with it.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM

“Disagree, but you still made me laugh.”

I can nail a zinger once every in a blue moon.

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Hey SKULB great points just would like to add on them 2 plays you discussed Kirk threw a TD and Rob got CRUSHED another SACK!!!!

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Sure. The point for me though is that if you look at those two plays you see very clearly why Kirk is the starter. If he had done what Griffin did; half a hop backwards, he would have been sacked. There´s no question about it, and it wasn´t the slightest bit affected by Smith´s performance or Trent´s presence or non-presence because the play is a burn play where you´re supposed to control the rusher so the QB can move correspondingly to punish the blitz.

The problem of course is that Robert can´s punish a blitz to save his life. And that´s why he was run over against Detroit. They know he can´t defend against the blitz.

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:05 PM

That’s why he gets a heavy amount of Blitzes these D coaches know his weakness and they attack him using it.

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Precisely! It´s not some conspiracy here. It´s a washed up QB who can´t do the job. And that play demonstrates why. It´s basic offensive football and he can´t do it. He can´t do any of it. Not the tactic, not the read, not the dropback, not setting the foot, not the throw. There´s literally nothing to work with there and you might as well hire me as the starting QB. I´d be dead but the results would be the same. And what is the point of starting the season like that?

• TheHogs - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:28 PM

It’s rather amusing that the fact that Griffin had zero sacks vs. the Browns (in the same number of dropbacks as the game vs. the Lions) is never mentioned whenever you talk about Griffin’s ability to avoid sacks. I promise that this actually happened.

“It´s not just his 13 bad passes from the PS games but about 40 from the scrimmage and maybe 300 from camp. They have loads and loads of film…”

So, apparently, performances in meaningless preseason games and scrimmage/camp sessions are valid predictors of regular season performance. Do you have proof for this?

“…including from last season, to base this decision on.”

You mean the season during which none of the QBs even played 8 games? Do you know how silly it is to use that as a basis for who to start at QB?

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Cleveland weren´t blitzing on 75% of the plays. Detroit and Baltimore were. That´s why you can compare those two games and not the Cleveland game. Blitzing is how you sink RGIII because he can´t deal with it. That´s why he makes the line look so bad. They are doing what they are being told to do, Griffin is doing something entirely off schedule and ineffectual

Isn´t there a book you could buy to cram up on the basics of football?

• TheHogs - Sep 2, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Skulb posted: “Cleveland weren´t blitzing on 75% of the plays.”

Since when did context matter to you? Question for the other posters: what do you think Skulb would say if Griffin was sacked 3 times in 8 dropbacks against the Browns, whether or not the Browns blitzed him?

For the rational posters here, it should be pretty intuitive (and the stats back up this intuition) that blitzing a QB will, on average, cause more sacks than not blitzing a QB. That’s why teams, um, *blitz*.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Skulb, it’s you that is just some Nancy boy working a keyboard that needs to read a book on the basics of football. I doubt you ever wore a uniform based on the nonsense you post. However, there are smart folks that never played but have a tremendous grasp of the game. You’re just not one of them.

16. redskinsdad - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:14 PM

well didnt they in fact have a competition ? if not then wouldnt 3sus be starting for 2015 ? if you remember gruden said meesus was the starter but it was his job to keep it

he didnt . does that mean KC will ride in here on his white horse and save us all ? no but rg3 didnt do what it took to keep the job

as for conspiracies , you guys need to turn off your CSI tv shows and move to the world of reality

17. celeoinc - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Gruden sucks! Period!!!!

18. Derrick Purvis - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM

EVERY REDSKINS FAN NEEDS TO READ THIS!!!!!!!

You know through all of whats going on with my team. I must say I like the direction we are heading in as an organization. And I know most would say that the move we made trading up and drafting robert looking back will be known as a bad move now that we are going through the present day drama we have in our team locker room but I would have say that I disagree. The situation we have now I would say is a good thing because out of this whole process by the end of the year we will know who our quarterbacks are going to be for next season. Either it’s going to be Kirk or Robert definitely not both. Or Colt and whichever rookie we decide to draft in next year’s draft. To make clear of what I’m saying I explain this. Our first two match ups in the first two weeks are against top defenses with both teams defensive line having dominant players up front. That being Suh and the Miami Dolphins & Robert Quinn and the St Louis Rams. This is followed by two division games against the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles. Then over the next few weeks we will be facing the New England Patriots and also the New York Jets and these two teams also have a strong defense. Now with all of these good defenses we will face within the first 10 weeks. I honestly have to say if Kirk Cousins can actually have good performances within the first 10 weeks I believe that he will then have earned the starting spot and it also should be guaranteed to him for next season if he continues to have success after our first 10 games. And more than likely if his performances have been good and we are winning games we will be in a position over the next 6 weeks to make a run for the playoffs. Robert in the meantime can now play devil’s advocate. Robert has lost a lot of respect around the league from players, coaches, and also fans. So everyone is watching to see how he will respond from being benched once again. I will even go to say that amongst Redskins fans its 60:40 maybe even 70:30 for people who want him to be cut and gone. If I could give Robert some advice I would say this. Robert you are now in a position where you have to earn your respect back from not only your teammates and coaches. But also from other players, coaches, management officials around the league and last but not least all of the great opinionated football fans around the world. And the best way to do that would be by playing the same role that Kirk Cousins played when you was the starter. And from this either 3 things are going to happen. Scenario number 1 Kirk will play well throughout the season and have success while you stay healthy and get ready for the off season where you will be picked up by another team and given a chance to compete for the starting job of their team. Not to mention you will also be 16 million dollars richer for being a backup which rarely happens. I’m sure Dan Snyder wouldn’t mind paying you that money. Besides you’ve made him a lot more money than that over the past 4 years. (And obviously cap space is not an issue because we just signed the best players on the team in Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan). Scenario number 2 Kirk Cousins will play his self out of the starting position. Which will then if you are prepared and ready gives you another chance to prove yourself and earn your respect back. If you play well the ball will then be in your court to then make the decision at the end of the year to let the Redskins management know to either trade you or release you because you don’t feel comfortable playing for Gruden and having Sean Mcvay calling the plays you run. And either they adjust their philosophies on how to run a NFL offense to be comfortable for you and them. Or their has to be a change that you make Scott Mccleahen and Daniel Snyder have to make. (Sean Mcvay is also a behind-the-scenes catalyst that most fans don’t know about who was pulling for Kirk Cousins to get the starting job) Or scenario number 3 can happen. Once given the opportunity again you do not play well things go bad or you possibly have another serious injury. Then you and Kirk will part ways from the team and they will just draft another quarterback with Colt going into the next season as the starting quarterback. For Redskins fans by the end of the year we will know the direction we will be heading in going into next season and the soap opera of the 2012 redskins draft class will be over. While in the process our defense and offensive line continues to get stronger and better. Creating less drama for the quarterback we have starting in the 2016 NFL football season! Remember we are in a rebuilding process!!!

• Rich Tandler - Sep 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM

If you want all Redskins fans to read this, using paragraph breaks sure would help.

• Skulb - Sep 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM

If anyone is wondering, that was textbook example of a sardonic reply.

• bangkokben - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:05 PM

The trade for Griffin was good, regardless of the results. Similarly, Atlanta traded up for Julio Jones and Cleveland got Phil Taylor, whom they cut this week, and three other players that are no longer on the Browns including Brandon Weedan. That’s one pro-bowl wide receiver for a bunch of parts. Now, discarded parts.

Our team needs both solid parts and impact players but there are plenty of ways of getting solid parts and very few ways in getting impact players. For whatever you think of Griffin at this moment, before the knee injury his rookie season, he was an impact player.

19. berniebernard666 - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:12 PM

just for the record, for those who judge a QB instantaneously and on one or 2 games….or even 9 games…….. Joe Montana did not throw 20 touchdowns in any of his first 4 seasons. He was an “Average Joe”. It took the right coach, several years of experience, and an offense designed for him before the light came on.

Fast forward. Cousins is now in his 4th season, same coaching staff and same offensive system for 2 years in a row, and a powerful running game. Don’t expect 10 year veteran Joe Montana in Cousins 4th season, but do expect something like 4th year Joe Montana. Both guys are about the same height and weight so I don’t want to hear anymore talk about Cousins has a weak arm and can’t throw the deep pass. He CAN be successful.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Now Cousins is similar to Joe Montana? Look there are many more QBs similar to Cousins that never succeeded in the NFL. Hey I hope you’re right about him achieving such heights, but how about waiting to see how he does in the regular season before anointing him as among the greats? After all, we can go on about seemingly endless examples where players that perform well in preseason failed to match up in the regular season.

I just want him to do well enough to win games and not cost us any with costly turnovers.

• TheHogs - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Exactly. And at least you support Cousins. It’s the complete opposite from this post: “To them any criticism of Griffin is heresy while any praise of Cousins must be immediately mocked. They´ll become more and more quiet as this season progresses. Cousins will see to that. And their hero will be cut next week and the entire argument will become moot. He´ll never step onto the field again would be my guess. Why would anyone sign this guy? Not even the New York Jets are interested. That should end the “debate” right there really. The fricking Jets turned down a trade, even if Griffin waives his injury clause! And they should! I would.”

The anger here is pathetic. Some fans like Skulb, who lie that it’s not about disliking Griffin, can’t even bring themselves to thank the guy (after all, he *did* help the lousy team win for once in a while) and wish him good luck for his career.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Hear, here! I’ve been called a Cousins hater for supporting RG3. There are a fickle group of fans here. Not much on knowledge but big on misguided notions.

20. Capital Defense - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Its simple really, that wannabe QB never would have stood a chance in a competition with Kirk. I am not saying Kirk is all world, but at least he knows how to play the position. That wannabe doesn’t have a clue….