Sep 2, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
The Redskins have the league maximum 75 players on their roster and we are just three days away from the final cuts being made. The final determination on some of the roster spots will come down to tomorrow’s fourth preseason game against the Jaguars. But the vast majority of the roster spots are already locked up.
Here are the players who are locks to make the final roster
QB (2): Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy
RB (4): Alfred Morris, Darrel Young, Matt Jones, Chris Thompson
WR (6): Pierre Garçon, DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Ryan Grant, Jamison Crowder, Evan Spencer
TE (2): Jordan Reed, Derek Carrier
OL (8): Trent Williams, Kory Lichtensteiger, Shawn Lauvao, Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, Brandon Scherff, Arie Kouandjio, Tom Compton
DL (5): Jason Hatcher, Stephen Paea, Chris Baker, Ricky Jean Francois, Terrance Knighton
LB (7): Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Murphy, Preston Smith, Keenan Robinson, Perry Riley, Will Compton, Martrell Spaight
DB (8): Chris Culliver, Bashaud Breeland, David Amerson, Dashon Goldson, Jeron Johnson, Kyshoen Jarrett, DeAngelo Hall, Duke Ihenacho
Bashaud Breeland is listed here even though he will not be on the initial 53-man roster as he will be serving a one-game drug suspension.
K Kai Forbath, P Tress Way, LS Nick Sundberg
That makes a total of 45 locks so eight jobs are up for grabs. A ninth player will make it but for only a week due to Breeland’s return from suspension in Week 2.
Who is in contention for those eight spots? I count 23 players who right now appear to have a legitimate chance of challenging for those jobs:
Offense (9): OL’s Josh LeRibeus, Austin Reiter, Takoby Cofield, Ty Nsekhe; TE’s Je’Ron Hamm, D.J. Williams; QB Robert Griffin III; RB Trey Williams; WR Rashad Ross
Defense (9): DL’s Kedric Golston, Frank Kearse; LBs Jackson Jeffcoat, Houston Bates, Terrance Plummer; DB’s Trenton Robinson, Akeem Davis, Deshazor Everett, Justin Rogers
I don’t think I need to explain the inclusion of Griffin on the bubble list. His future is very much up in the air for reasons familiar to all.
NFL teams usually keep 25 each on offense and defense and the three specialists. So it is likely that three of the offensive bubble players will land jobs and five on the defensive side.
So with 45 locks and 18 on the bubble that leaves 12 players whose chances of making the roster are very slim. That doesn’t mean there is no hope for them. An unanticipated great performance could open the door for one of them as could an injury to another player. And there is always hope that a solid performance on tape will catch the eye of another NFL team in need of a player.
Follow Us On Twitter
- WATCH: Jay Gruden, Kirk Cousins and the Redskins arrive at Heathrow Airport
- Facebook Live: Redskins arrive in London
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently