Need to Know: Griffin no longer the starter but he’s still on the Redskins—for now

Sep 1, 2015, 5:04 AM EDT

RG3 handoff camp

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, September 1, Four days before the Washington Redskins make their final cuts.

Griffin remains a Redskin–for now

Robert Griffin III is no longer the Redskins starting quarterback. But he is still a member of the team.

“Robert’s on our football team and he’s a Washington Redskin,” said Jay Gruden after announcing that Kirk Cousins, not Griffin, will start the season opener against the Dolphins and for the rest of the season. “We believe in Robert. It’s a good problem to have to have three quarterbacks that are competing and working their butts off. I feel like all three of them are capable quarterbacks.”

If you parse those words, noting the present tense, there is nothing that commits to the Redskins keeping Griffin beyond today. But later Gruden indicated that Griffin isn’t going anywhere.

“There’s been no discussions about letting him go or doing any of that stuff,” said Gruden. “We are going to plan on playing with these three quarterbacks.”

This does not necessarily mean that Griffin will remain on the roster. Nothing is etched in stone when a coach takes the podium. The best posture for a coach or general manager to take is to say that a player is a member of the team in good standing right up until the moment that he is no longer on the team. The happy talk keeps his trade value up and doesn’t alienate the player. You never know what might happen and you might need to change your mind.

A trade seems unlikely due to the injury-guaranteed 2016 option that the Redskins picked up in the spring. But with his value already driven down by being benched there is no point in pushing it down further by saying anything other than your intentions to keep him.

The Redskins can’t do anything to move on from Griffin while he is still under the NFL’s concussion protocol. There really is no decision to make or “discussions” to be had until he is cleared to play. So, until then there is no reason to talk about him as anything but a member in good standing of the Washington Redskins.

But when he is cleared to play, all bets will be off.

Today’s schedule: Practice 11:00, Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:00)

—It’s been 245 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 12 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.

Days until: Final cuts 4; Rams @ Redskins 19; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 23

158 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. colorofmyskinz - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:55 AM

They need to get him on the field and run 2-4 quarters of read option to lift his value. Why not put him at risk because his value is low. People only see the fail pocket passing attempts. They need to place him on the ground with 60 yards per game and show he still has that card to play. That will garner interest. We need to get his trade value up. Someone will need a QB and we need to salvage value.

Question Rich, who is available first round next year at QB? If we draft one now and let them learn under KIRK, we would be covered.

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Sep 1, 2015 at 7:38 AM

“Why not put him at risk because his value is low.”

Because if he gets put on injured reserve there’s a $16 million cap hit coming in 2016.
      ~

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Agreed. The risk of playing RG3 with the read option right now is not worth the reward. If they think he has the potential to look really good in the pocket going against second and third stringers in the 4th preseason game (assuming he is cleared to play) that would generate just as much value. We know he can run a read option, but don’t know about his pocket passing. That being said, I don’t think he will play.

Like Brucefan and others pointed out yesterday, best case scenarios is Cousins or McCoy take the job and run with it. You could then draft and groom a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. This seems like a stretch though. I would be satisfied if we get just decent QB play this year and see progress in other areas like defense and special teams.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM

Best case scenario would be not NEEDING to draft a quarterback next draft. As much as I wanted that reason to be Griffin, the is no need to give up on Cousins until the GM does.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:15 AM

I wish RG3 could play in the 4th preseason game so he could tear it up and show everyone that anyone can do what Cousins did against backups. Hell McCoy was tearing up backups he needs a chance to start too.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Bang this is the Coaches decision I have yet to hear that the GM made this move. I think he will separate himself from this decision by saying the Coaches names the starters

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Tim, yes it was the coaches decision. The team could go 8-8 and be significantly improved in wins and losses but the reasons for that improvement could be partly due to the play at the quarterback position or despite the play at the quarterback position. The Jets made it to two AFC championship games DESPITE the play at the QB position. So then (after the season) it is the GMs decision on who to add to the roster. We have virtually no QBs signed through next year – only Griffin and the team’s option which the Redskins won’t exercise. The GM is unlikely to SUGGEST any changes during the season. Now, IF we are 0-9 and QB play is a significant reason as to why AND Gruden hasn’t made any changes at that point, THEN the GM will likely tell the coach, we need to see someone else. And then it will be the coach’s decision as well. Except his decision will likely be whether he listen’s to his superior or not.

• renhoekk2 - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Yes Tim that’s what would happen if he played the 4th game. Griffin supporters would be screaming that Gruden is deliberately trying to re-injure a recently concussed player a ruin Griffin’s career for good by playing him with third string OL.

• wvredskins - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Im not so sure RG would tear it up against 2nd and 3rd stringers like kirk and colt did. I definitely would like to see that just to see where RG stands compared to them.

• gonavybeatarmy - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Colorofmyskinz:

Which meaningful contributors on next year’s roster are you prepared to release in exchange for the potential risk associated with showcasing Griffin?

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:32 AM

If he is still on the roster he will end up getting some playing time later in the year from the imterm head coach

• Skulb - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM

I love how your response to this is hoping that the team will fail. I feel as if you´re the best Redskins fan in the NFL Tim. And you ain´t got to prove nothin´ to nobody!

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:08 PM

I think it s the worse move for this team we’ve already seen him throw interception after interception when given opportunities. He has never shown greatness like RG3 has. Me not wanting Cousins as a QB doesn’t make me not a fan. I’m a Fan that doesn’t flip flop after only 2 bad years who recognizes how bad the Oline is and by constantly changing you get nowh

I feel you dislike RG3 for reasons other than football.

• Skulb - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:51 PM

And I feel as if you are immune to facts and that talking to you is a waste of time.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 5:34 PM

You present no facts/stats just Opinion. The Only stats you ever brought up was QB sacks and that involves his blockers not just him and a QBR on 8 throws in preseason that Brady has a worse one so where are these facts

When I present facts/stats with links you don’t look at the links and call them out right lies

We will see when your boy fails yet again

• hk2000 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:09 PM

I agree, but if I were in Griffin’s place, I’d demand a trade or release right now, and I’d tell Snyder to take the $16M and shove it.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:44 PM

he just might before it’s all said and done!

• allhail76 - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Kirk if a free agent next year along w rg3 and McCoy.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Kirk is not going to sign a contract here to be someone’s tutor. Especially when Chicago might be looking for a new QB.

• ET - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Yes, Kirk will have a strong negotiating position as long as he turns in an average or better performance. Chicago is by no means the only team with lackluster QB options, either. Though depending on Kirk’s performance this season, a Cutler-to-Cousins change may be a lateral move.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM

I mentioned Chicago not only because of the QB play but because it’s the team of Cousins’ youth and he’s from the general area. I’m sure he’ll go to whatever situation is best for him. But if he’s taking a ‘mentor’ position – it’s not in this organization.

• ET - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Ah, yes. I live in Chicago, so I get earfuls of Cutler chatter. The Bears are on the hook for a boatload of money with Jay ($54 million guaranteed, if I’m not mistaken). At least with Robert, we aren’t in contract extension territory. Whew.

I don’t think that Cousins wouldn’t take a mentor position in DC, either, nor do I think he should. Best case scenario, it’s a non-issue for both Cousins and the organization. With the Skins, of course, ya never know.

• hk2000 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Let’s see him put up one decent game together before we ponder his options, I for one don’t see him anything other than mediocre back up in this coaches so called system- In fact no QB will ever really succeed under Gruden, and before you say Dalton, Gruden was not a HC, and Dalton did better after Gruden left.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Since when did you become the police on what we can and cannot speculate on? Did I miss the memo? I’m sure you’re qualified for the job since you’re OPINION is the gold standard. Please give me the outline so I don’t step out of line in the future.

• hk2000 - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:09 PM

WOW, Police? Be my guest, speculate away…after all I’m doing it too, mine was a response to the idea of him becoming a hot commodity after this season, WTF is your problem?

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM

My response – that you were responding to – was that if he’s NOT a hot commodity (which I don’t think he’ll be but honestly don’t know), he’ll get options elsewhere to be a mentor. Why come back to an organization that is moving on from you to mentor? As to the F is my problem, I’m generally snarky and sometimes a giant A-hole. As for the rest of the folks here, they might have better reasons.

2. timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM

After he is done with the Concussion protocol he can be traded and resisigned or he can resign before he is traded

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:14 AM

That assumes RG3 is willing to give up the option. If he is willing to give it up, he is easier to trade. If he isn’t, then all bets are off. Like we all said yesterday, it is a game of chicken. If I were RG3, I wouldn’t give it up to let the Redskins decide where I am traded. Instead, I would only give it up for “RG3 approved” teams that are willing to trade. Otherwise, you can wait and see if the team releases you since final cuts aren’t that far away and you don’t want the 53rd player taking up space and never playing.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM

The way you are saying is the way I’m imaging it going down

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM

You think RG3 will give a way a chance for a potential guaranteed 16 million dollars that is staring at him for next season? Fat Chance! The team signed in on the option and if I was RG3, I’d make them own up to it or cut me. RG3 can use the FA market to maximize a deal because there will be more than one team interested in him. He may not get the fat check he desires but I don’t see him doing this team any favors by negotiating out of that option unless they give me half that now!

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM

There is no way the team gives him half the option now. However, the 5th year option, as I suggested, is a bargaining chip for RG3 and his agent. They can tell the organization that they are only willing to give it up, if it is for a team they approve. If the team cuts RG3, the option is gone anyways and RG3 gets the same result. It is in the interest of the team to trade him for whatever they can get from an “RG3 approved trade partner”.

As for trade value, nobody knows what that will be. My guess is a 5th round pick with potential for more, if RG3 plays a certain number of snaps or games. Let’s say he ends up in St. Louis (wouldn’t that be funny), Foles goes down with an injury, RG3 plays 10 games, and the Rams get good value. Perhaps the that triggers a condition that turns a 5th or 6th round pick into a 3rd. Either way, RG3 and company have all the power in this situation.

3. gonavybeatarmy - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Gruden has been generally unimpressive as a head coach since arriving, and there have been many moments when he seemed to be way over his head. But yesterday he came across as a real pro. We’ll see.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:44 AM

I share the same sentiments! He is just the wrong coach for RG3 and the FO should have seen that in the very beginning. However, he handled the questions on the QB switch better than what I’ve seen him do in the past. Maybe he is growing into the position. We’ll see real soon!

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:19 AM

I’ve been saying that all off-season. I believe he was forced to renege on the quarterback competition comments but since then he has been MUCH better in the pressers. Whether that translates on the field, we shall see.

• bowlregard - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM

If you judged coaches by their pressers then Andy Reid and Chip Kelly would be out of work.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Like I said, he has learned from his mistakes in regards to press conferences. So MAYBE he’s learned from his mistakes in other areas of coaching, we will have to wait and see. But don’t minimize the importance of ‘sounding’ like you know what you’re doing in this city.

• Skulb - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Didn´t Rex Ryan even manage to cry at one last year? Granted it was the New York Jets, but still.

4. mr.moneylover - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:13 AM

I dont blame rg3 for this….it was dan synder and bruce allen fault for not hiring a coach to help rg3 build his confidence backup…jay gruden said he can fix rg3 to get the redskins job and from day 1 he did nothing but bash rg3….if kirk cousins fail jay gruden fail and both will be gone by next year…I dont think kirk cousins INTs problems is over colt mccoy should start….rg3 liked a instagram post that bash dan synder,bruce allen and the coaching staff…rg3 might force redskins to cut him

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM

I think RG3 is trying to get the Redskins to cut him, or work off a pre-approved list of trade locations. As for the starting QB, McCoy (IMO) is better right now. However, you know that he is nothing more than a stopgap, while the team hopes Cousins can be more than a stopgap, which is why they want to commit to playing him.

As for Gruden, I didn’t like the hiring. I prefer defense oriented head coaches. Gruden clearly handled RG3 poorly, but RG3 hasn’t given him much of a reason to believe that he can transition into a pocket passer. The fault lies with everyone (FO, Gruden, Shannahan, RG3). At this point, it is best for a fresh start and both sides working together to make that happen…not sure Guden, Snyder, Bruce and Griffin can keep egos in check to make that happen, even if it is best for all involved.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:48 AM

“The fault lies with everyone (FO, Gruden, Shannahan, RG3).”

This is very true but I’ll add this: if your provide the type of an environment that RG3 has given to develop and learn, how many QBs could succeed or progress?

This is just possibly the worst organization for developing an NFL franchise QB, which explains why we haven’t seen one here for decades.

• hail74 - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM

I agree and the reason is simple. No consistency in coaching. We ruined Campbell with a new OC every year. Now RG3 is going thru the same. However I personally feel that this is on RG3. Shanny couldn’t take him anymore and now it appears gruden would rather not have him too. You can blame the coach if you want but what if RG3 really is uncoachable, doesn’t want to focus on his negative plays, not well liked by other players, only worried about his stats and brand like some of the rumors continuously contend? Also consider another side effect of constant coaching changes, player mentality. How many players don’t respond to coaches because they know they have enough talent to stick around and the team has a history of firing the coach every 2-3 years? If you want to give a QB all the time and patience in the world then why not the coach too?

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM

The crap that you read, hear, and listen to in the media is the result of being part of a losing franchise. No one cares if the team is winning. Even Russell Wilson had to deal with the nonsense about his own team, players, owner “favoritism”, etc. when the Seahawks were .500 to start 2014; funny how there was no more news about it when they made their 2nd Super Bowl appearance.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:28 AM

That is to say, winning bias is a thing in media, and they’ll find anything — anything! — to magically point to as a reason why you don’t win; even if they have to dissect and analyze a bike ride to practice.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Having patience with the coach is fine as long as the coach does the same for the franchise QB. However, patience is not what Gruden displayed for RG3. Let alone Gruden came into a head coaching position with a highly question OC reputation. The one key fact you have to look at with Gruden is that every aspect of the offense got worst last season. Even our respectable running game lost credibility. However, with all failures on offense, the only one to incur the cost of that is RG3. Even when no other QB returning was performing well. If you are going to take the lesser of the 3 under performing QBs then you run with the one with the highest ceiling.

The only thing I expected from this organization was for them to give RG3 one last season to show he has a future here even with this head coach going through his own growing pains. At least the team went out and provided a QB coach to help RG3. However what does Gruden do before even the first game after committing to RG3 as the starting QB? He cuts the legs from under RG3 by going with a 4th round QB who still demonstrated he can’t avoid throwing INTs and giving opponents easy points.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:19 AM

“If you are going to take the lesser of the 3 under performing QBs then you run with the one with the highest ceiling.”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:00 PM

“The organization did this until they realized they couldn’t protect him – and if they can’t protect him, the worst case scenario for the team is to be back in cap hell next year.’

So you are suggesting 1 quarter of a preseason provided all the evidence needed to shut him down? Well if that is your stance then you must be suggesting cutting him as soon as he is cleared from the concussion. That is what I’ve suggested after benching him because even if he is not in the game he could still be injured and the team is still liable for the $16 million in cap space. It really is the only logical choice now that Gruden has announced Cousins as the starter. However, if RG3 moves on and succeeds elsewhere, the $16 million savings in cap space could pale in comparison to the mark that would be left on this franchise.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM

I am not suggesting only one quarter in a preseason game. If Griffin doesn’t get injured, he’s playing against Baltimore. Then, who knows. The coaches aren’t looking at one quarter. They are looking at the TOTALITY of the off-season. The GM is looking at the injury. It is my belief that Gruden was forced by the GM to name Griffin the starter and give him every opportunity to hold on to the job back in February. The injury expedited the decisions. I don’t see how Griffin gets injured in non-contact practices or in the weight room so I don’t subscribe to the MUST cut Griffin scenario but I do understand the rationale.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM

“It is my belief that Gruden was forced by the GM to name Griffin the starter and give him every opportunity to hold on to the job back in February. ”

I’ll take Gruden’s word in that he had has always had the say with RG3. Regardless, I recall Hall injuring his already injured achilles tendon slipping on his kitchen floor. If you believe even the “threat” of another injury from RG3 would cost the team a 16 million cap hit is enough to bench him then it makes all the more sense to eliminate any threat all together by cutting him.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:57 PM

“They gave it a shot but look at the chaos it has provided before the season even starts.”

I’m going to respond to you here. The chaos is because of failure. If they could’ve protected Robert from injury or Griffin could’ve shown better pocket presence, they’re still seeing if they can salvage their investment.

A better analogy than a stock is a stock option. Their option is up and their investment is virtually lost. They bought high and looked like they got a steal of a deal and then it tanked and now the option is up. The next investor will likely buy low and may have much more time to get maximum return.

Kirk Cousins is 27 and named the season starter for the first time. Colt McCoy got a chance early and then bounced around until last year and miraculously got another shot, got injured and is back to waiting. Tyrod Taylor in the league five years – a year longer than Griffin – is named the season starter and will get his first chance. Tommy Maddox, Randall Cunningham, Tim Tebow, Doug Williams, etc. Guys who got a shot and then got another shot later. The book isn’t closed on Griffin but his chapter in D.C. is all but over.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:20 PM

“The book isn’t closed on Griffin but his chapter in D.C. is all but over.”

I wholeheartedly believe Griffin’s chapter in D.C. is over right after Gruden chose Cousins as the starter. In all fairness for Cousins, he now deserves the chance to prove himself as the starter even if he struggles for a few weeks. So unless sudden injury occurs to Cousins and McCoy, or there are many consecutive weeks QB ineffectiveness, RG3 has no chance of getting on the field anytime soon. If we are talking about putting him on the field in the middle of the season after all other Gruden options tank then I believe the looming 2016 salary has already become too much of a risk.

I’ll end it by simply stating, I hope they cut Griffen as soon as he clears the concussion. It’s the best decision for both parties involved.

It’s Gruden this team is now stuck with and he has severed any chance there was left for RG3 to have an opportunity to succeed here.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Bang you keep saying the GM is involved in this. So far there is Zero evidence the GM has anything to do with this. This is Grudens decision and he said it was

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Tim, Are you referring to what I wrote at 12:15 and what ‘redskinsnameisheretostay’ quoted me in 12:25. I think it clear that I stated this was my belief and I have given the circumstantial evidence in the past that lead me to that belief. No need to rehash them here.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM

I would say there is very strong evidence that the GM is against this move and is only letting it happen because Jay has the power to choose his starters and he is letting him prove himself before firing him and getting a new Coach.. I believe as you do that the GM and Owner pressured Jay to name RG3 the starter but they are not on board with this. Neither have stated otherwise, Jay said it was his decision, and reports came out that the GM were not against each other on the RG3 issue after reports said that the GM wanted him gone and Snyder didn’t. Those reports did say they agreed with Jay just each other

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Reports said GM and Snyder were together a report that refutes the report that the GM was against Snyder The first report said Snyder was against it. That put s the GM with Snyder against it I jacked up the first comment

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Not Griff’s fault that people are so impatient that they can’t even let him play half a season in a new system.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:29 AM

This is my response to the “impatience.”

It’ s not just people. It’s people in the organization and this is due to the deadlines forced by the contract. That cuts both ways too. This year, Redskin fans that are Griffin supporters have to realize that time has run out. Last year, Redskin fans that had given up on Griffin had to wait through a season of Griffin tutelage. Unfortunately for Griffin injuries robbed him of time he needed to secure his Redskin future.

• hail74 - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I agree about the media particularly in the DC area. However 2 coaches have soured on him in 2 years. Also since we’re on the topic of patience I again ask why are people more than willing to keep being patient with RG3 but not with gruden or even cousins for that matter? Personally I hold out hope for all of them because I want my team to win however I’m under the impression now that our franchise QB isn’t on this roster.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:02 AM

“This year, Redskin fans that are Griffin supporters have to realize that time has run out.”

Has time run out for RG3 or was it taken from him by an incompetent coach? Remember the team has made it very clear in public that this is Gruden choice. We’ll find out as the season plays out. If we struggle on offense and show the same ineptness as last season then we can revisit if time really did run out for RG3.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Right, because the Redskins weren’t winning. When they were, you didn’t hear a peep from Shanahan.

When teams win, players and coaches who can’t stand each other just play. When the teams don’t win or have the same success every season, it’s drama time. From RG3/Gruden to Kobe Bryant/Phil Jackson and everyone in between.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:13 AM

“I agree about the media particularly in the DC area. However 2 coaches have soured on him in 2 years. ”

Did Shanahan sour on RG3 or Snyder? Easy to blame on RG3 but you have no facts to support it. It’s a convenient assumption you are making but unsupported. What is supported was that Shanahan publicly blamed Snyder for the how things were left between him and the franchise.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM

As for the contract, not buying rhe argument, bangkokben. QBs don’t grow on trees, and neither to generation QB draft prospects. You use the resources to groom them and realize their potential. If it doesn’t work out, fine. Rebuild. But talking about having cash to spend on other, less important, more player-ready and available positions (especially in the draft) s irrational.

• ET - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:19 AM

“Has time run out for RG3 or was it taken from him by an incompetent coach?”

In practical terms, your question is irrelevant. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. It expects production and return on investment. Except for his glorious rookie season, Robert has provided marginal production and a very poor ROI (once the opportunity cost of all those draft picks is tallied). At some point, even for Dan Snyder, the cold logic of the corporate world rears its head.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:41 AM

“In practical terms, your question is irrelevant.”

If you want to play this like the stock market then it very relevant. I’m not even sure what you mean by that. How many folks are out there now that turned in a investment on say Microsoft or Apple before it yielded a value that made others great fortune?

In the NFL, It will be every bit relevant and season will reveal where Gruden stands as a coach. Saying it is not irrelevant is like ignoring the fact that this one change could be the defining point in Gruden’s coaching career here. It could turn out well for him where Cousins thrives, or it could turn out ugly for him where he reverts to flip flopping QBs all season with a struggling offense. This won’t be the first coach who’s career will be defined by a QB change.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:51 AM

ET posted: “In practical terms, your question is irrelevant.”

Correct. However, the rest of your post failed to acknowledge that Griffin is a 25-year old, former #2 overall prospect; not a 35-year old QB past his peak.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:03 PM

TheHogs, this isn’t the 60s or 70s where Tom Landry got years to get it right in coaching or Terry Bradshaw had years to become the franchise QB. Impatience is part of the equation. Griffin has had since April 2012 to show the organization that he has the ability and durability to be a franchise QB. That is not a whole lot of time – three years and four months from his draft to his latest concussion. Then there is the time missed in his rookie year due to the work stoppage as well as the time after each season until the first set of OTAs when players and coaches are forbidden to interact with each other. That’s about another nine months. Lastly there is the injuries and recovery time which also cut into Griffin’s development – and we’re only talking TIME here, but there are obviously other factors.

On the other hand, the Redskins had only four years (his rookie contract due to the new CBA) to figure out if Griffin would develop into that once in a generation player – plus a possible 5th year team option. The Redskins picked up the team option ($16.7M in 2016 guaranteed in the case of injury) this May and stated it was a “no brainer” to pick this up. Why was it a no brainer? Because they knew Griffin needed more time to get to the franchise QB level. Then things changed when two things became clear. 1) Griffin was not on pace to reach the franchise QB level before time ran out – 2016. AND 2) The risk of injury became greater than the chance for Griffin to get to that level. An injury would cripple the franchise’s cap in 2016 and it’s ripple affects felt for the years afterward. Worst case scenario for the Redskins is that Griffin has long-term affects from his most recent concussion that prevent him from being cleared to play football at the end of this season as well as the beginning of the league year (March 2016) guaranteeing Griffin millions and locking up 10-12% of Washington’s cap space in 2016. You can sign four starters for that money. You could lose Alfred Morris because of the consequences. There a number of things an NFL team can do with $16.7M and paying an injured QB is one of the worst.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM

All true Bang; however if all is needed was one concussion to take this drastic direction then why sign the option at all? The team still must eat 6.7 million in cap space this season. Hell, why didn’t the team just cut RG3 at the end of last season?*

*I’ll have to double check to see if the team could have avoided the 6.7 million in cap space loss if he was cut prior to this season.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM

The team is on the hook for $6.7 if he is cut; less if he is traded. The contract was guaranteed so some had suggested trading Griffin after last year but the organization needed to give Griffin one last chance. We can argue whether that chance was fair or not but they did give it a shot.

• ET - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:37 PM

“What if worst case scenario for Gruden is that RG3 goes elsewhere and becomes an elite QB? That’s not relevant?”

Robert may find success somewhere else—he’s a young guy with potential in the right system. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s underperformed in DC. And ultimately it doesn’t matter who is to blame, or how much blame should be assigned to whom. The result remains the same.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM

They gave it a shot but look at the chaos it has provided before the season even starts. My point is that such hasty justification for benching RG3 could have been better served to cut him at the end of last season. You could have had an off season to let things settle down and Cousins would have been the unquestionable starter all camp. I know hindsight is 20/20 here but using your premise, this is the way I’d expect the organization to have reacted when assessing RG3’s future here with the pending option for 2016.

I don’t completely disagree with your viewpoint on the QB decision, but I feel that if that was the also the team’s position then the organization would or should have been handled better.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:49 PM

It all comes down to RISK vs REWARD like i asked over a week ago and was told it was a non issue..now the organization has chosen as a group what direction they will go! The organization gave Rob every chance they could before the risk out weighed the reward!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:52 PM

I have to agree to disagree with you ET. It’s only relevant if one believes time has actually run out for RG3. The coach doesn’t have to bench RG3.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:16 PM

bangkokben posted: “…and locking up 10-12% of Washington’s cap space in 2016. You can sign four starters for that money. You could lose Alfred Morris because of the consequences. There a number of things an NFL team can do with $16.7M and paying an injured QB is one of the worst.”

I’ll stress again that spending cap money on non-QBs is overrated in football. As some teams are figuring out, drafting players and playing them for similar or better production is better than spending lots of money on players who do the same thing. The nature of many positions (less valuable, more capable players available out of the draft) also helps with this approach. Even Alfred Morris can be sent elsewhere for these reasons. However, it’s not the same for QBs. Finding QBs is tough to do.

Now, as for QB performance; the rule of thumb is to draft (or sign) another QB if you know that your current QB is replacement-level, because it’s easier to find replacement-level QBs. The issue comes in figuring that out. With Griffin, his spectacular 2012 season and a relative lack of sample size makes that a dilemma; this would be simpler to figure out if he played replacement-level in all of his three seasons and played the entirety of those seasons, since those kind of QBs don’t usually peak into average NFL starters. But, much to the chagrin of some fans, that season *has* to be factored in; it’s a demonstration of performance and it’s useful data, even if it’s weighed much less than his more recent seasons. Factor in his draft status (#2 overall instead of a later round pick; this is relevant in QB projection models), and the Redskins would be cutting someone who still has a solid chance of being an average QB in his peak and 30s — which is a no-no, even after considering injuries. That’s part of the reason why the Eagles signed Sam Bradford, despite not having any spectacular seasons on his resume and already tearing his ACL twice at the NFL level.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:27 PM

“I’ll stress again that spending cap money on non-QBs is overrated in football. As some teams are figuring out, drafting players and playing them for similar or better production is better than spending lots of money on players who do the same thing. ‘

This is a great point and if Bruce is as good with contracts as advertised and Scott is as good as GM as advertised then we could be playing under a comfortable cap for some time. The only caveat to this approach is if we could land a proven franchise QB (i.e. Drew Brees like someone mentioned). However landing a proven franchise QB is very unlikely. Denver only got their chance with Manning when Luck arrived.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:30 PM

ET posted: “It’s relevant to Griffin, of course, but it’s still irrelevant to the calculation of sticking with Robert, trading him (if possible), or cutting him.”

This is incorrect. Like all QBs, Griffin, who is still a young and valuable draft prospect, needs to be put in the best environment possible in order to maximize his talent and thus his derived value; which makes coaching entirely relevant to this question.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Also, bangkokben, thanks for the thoughtful posts and your willingness to read and reply. Even if we dont always agree.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Hogs, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!

Of course there are ways of compensating for $16.7M. Jones starting for Morris next year, for instance. Drafting another back to back-up Jones. That isn’t the point. The ORGANIZATION has decided it has better things to do with that money and it wants the options associated with that money. They are moving on. You mention Bradford, the TIME ran out for St. Louis. The Rams rather have the $3.6M dead money hit and Nick Foles than Sam Bradford. The Eagles can take the time they think they need with him. They have invested 1 year and the $13M remaining salary on Bradford’s contract. They are in the process of deciding how to move forward with or without him. If he gets injured before an extension, it will likely be withOUT him. Griffin will get an opportunity somewhere to reach his potential. Factor in all you want about the potential. The Redskins have and other teams will as well, but what you fail to realize is that Griffin MAY not reach his potential.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:14 PM

As for finding QBs, I wholeheartedly agree that it is tough to do. I wish Griffin had this season to change the narrative. Unfortunately time limits keep getting shorter and shorter and QBs coming out of college are less and less NFL ready.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM

“That isn’t the point. The ORGANIZATION has decided it has better things to do with that money and it wants the options associated with that money. They are moving on. ”

I’m not speaking on behalf of Hogs here but there is no official declaration that this is the organization’s position. As far as any of us know right now, the organization is reporting they are going to hang onto RG3. Now if the premise between the two of you discussing is based on this, then carry on. However, not all the facts have been laid out as such. It may appear to be looking that way but the current facts are Gruden made the choice to start Cousins because he feels he gives the team the best chance to win. We don’t even know how long a leash Cousins has in this opportunity.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM

@redskinsname…

True. This situation does not have all of its “I”s dotted or its “T”s crossed and we are in the realm of speculation, conjecture, and opinion.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM

bankokben posted: “The ORGANIZATION has decided it has better things to do with that money and it wants the options associated with that money.”

The organization can decide to cut all of its players and sign football players off the street, if it wants to. It doesn’t mean that its decisions cannot be rationally critiqued by others.

“The Rams rather have the $3.6M dead money hit and Nick Foles than Sam Bradford. The Eagles can take the time they think they need with him. They have invested 1 year and the $13M remaining salary on Bradford’s contract. They are in the process of deciding how to move forward with or without him. If he gets injured before an extension, it will likely be withOUT him.”

I’ll leave the Rams’ rationale for trading Bradford for another time, but why should the Eagles invest that $13 million on a non-proven QB who had two major injuries in several seasons, instead on the rest of the roster? Why should that make sense to you?

“…what you fail to realize is that Griffin MAY not reach his potential.”

That’s not only false, but irrelevant to why I’m arguing for the Redskins to keep Griffin at this time.

• mr.moneylover - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I think it will benefit rg3 to sit out this year because this what I think gonna happen….kirk cousins gonna struggle to the point week 4 we will be asking for a QB change then colt mccoy will start do good but get injured and at the end of the year scot m. Will make a head coach change keep rg3 for a low price and bring in a defensive head coach or a good college head coach and look for a OC that can help rg3 bring his confidence back as well as his talent….its clear now jay gruden is on the hot seat if he fail with kirk cousins hes gone…theres other college coaches who run the same systems like chip kelly but better….dan synder should’ve did everything in his power to ger art briles as head coach you wanna talk about putting up mega points art briles is more then capable of doing that and known for shutting down chip kelly fast offense…it was a big mistake on over looking that college coach

5. timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:17 AM

I would like to know the GM and Owners thoughts on the subject. Neither have commented yet. There was a report that said the Owner was against it and the Head Coacht and GM were for it. Then a report came Out disputing the first report only saying that the GM and Owner were on the same page. So does that mean they both weren’t in favor of it? Gruden does have the power to name the starters and said it was his decision. I’m just curious were they stand. Is the GM letting him sink or swim with the lift raft of his choice? I’m interested in the GM’s comments when the media finally catches up with him

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM

There is no chance that Scott M. will give the media an answer that differs in anyway from what he has said in the past about RG3. More than likely, you will see something to the effect of, “we are focused on preparing for week 1, which is why Cousins is our starter. We are all on the same page on what needs to get done…win football games. Once RG3 is healthy and cleared to return to team activities, we will reassess the situation”.

Translation, we may or may not keep RG3. It does us know good to tell other teams we are determined to get rid of him no matter what, and it does us no good to not meet with his agent and evaluate options.

I think the “people exploring trade options” is RG3’s agent. He is probably identifying potential trade value, if they get rid of the option component for next year, then presenting offers to the team between this week and next.

• timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:39 AM

I think the GM is gonna say it is the Coaches decision who starts and separate himself from the decision. He won’t bash it or endorse it. The biggest tell on their thoughts is if RG3 isn’t moved at all

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM

That is exactly what Scott did. This is all on Gruden and he even personally made this proclamation. It’s Gruden’s ride and it this gets derailed then he’ll be blamed as the one engineering it.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM

nameishere…..where can i see this about what you say Scot did or say ? I would like to get a link do you have one Thanks in advance!!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:12 PM

It’s well reported that Scott has given Gruden the decision on the starting QB. Below is one example with a link.

“I think (the 2015) season is going to tell a lot,” McCloughan said. “We’ll see what happens heading up to the draft and all that stuff, but I don’t think you ever give up on a young quarterback that … took you to the playoffs as a rookie. I really don’t think you do that.

“Because they’re so hard to find and he’s still young. Give him the benefit of the doubt, he’s been banged up. You can say, ‘Yeah, the grass is greener,’ but who can we go get? If all of a sudden he goes somewhere and starts lighting it up, you know? And Jay (Gruden’s) system, that’s a tough system the first year to learn. So, I’m very curious to see how his second year goes. Very curious.”

McCloughan stopped short of guaranteeing that Griffin will be on the opening-day roster, but reiterated his belief that NFL teams shouldn’t throw in the towel on talented young quarterbacks.

“I think you need to give him some time,” McCloughan told WNEW-FM, via the Washington Post. “It’s the most important position on the field for any organization.”

Drawing comparisons to Alex Smith’s early stint with the 49ers, McCloughan identified the need to surround Griffin with a strong rushing attack and a more reliable offensive line.

Ultimately, it will be Gruden — not McCloughan — who chooses the Week 1 starter.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Ahh……. that’s months ago news thought you had something more recently.

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Great reply, redskin name.

Only a fool, whose argument is rendered completely flaccid by it word, would attempt to dismiss its validity.

Btw, we haven’t head Scot say much a nuthin’ about nuthin’ in the last few weeks, have we? Certainly nothing that’s dictated that he felt there should be a correction in how the pre-season QB pecking-order was set up.

I am looking forward to reading his comments on this latest development ( assuming he will eventually) — as well as seeing how he “gets rid of the body” … metaphorically speaking. ;^}

(Haha! This is what I get for missing a day of “NTK”; posting a day late & a dollar short!)

6. timwillhidetimwillhide - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Al Davis would be all over this

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Al Davis would also have done a better job developing, managing, and protecting RG3 than what the Redskins have done.

• hail74 - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Like he did with Jamarcus?

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:08 AM

You’re spot on about Jamarcus Russell who also was ROY and demonstrated great potential as a NFL QB early in his career. Oh wait, he never did any of that!

• hail74 - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Perhaps Al Davis should have provided more support for him then. You didn’t provide any caveats to your statement so I replied as I saw fit. Don’t get me wrong I like RG3 and think he can still turn his career around. I also think he himself is the reason why he is where he is developmentally. I also have fond memories of 2012 but do not think that that version of RG3 will ever exist again. His speed is gone. The league has come to the conclusion that you just blitz him into submission.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:04 PM

I was being sarcastic because just about anyone following football knows how Al Davis bombed on his 1st round draft picks.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Also, I wasn’t suggesting you don’t follow football.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:07 PM

” I also think he himself is the reason why he is where he is developmentally.”

He certainly shares in the responsibility but as a young kid he needed to be managed better by the organization. I do believe RG3 forced himself into being pushed as primarily a pocket passer too soon.

• hail74 - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Ah gotcha. I remember when McNabb publicly announced that he wanted to advise RG3 and thought at the time that the last thing RG3 needed was this from him. Actually in hindsight I still do tho your right, the team could probably have done more to mentor him tho we don’t really know what they did do other than place his locker next to LFB’s

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Awwww man, fellas, I can’t believe you let that incorrect statement above, that J Russell was rookie-of-the-year, slip by unchallenged?!

That bum was never CLOSE to nuthin like that! Gotta laugh!

7. xskulldog - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:44 AM

A whole lot of drama over nothing. The offensive line still needs plenty of work. With that being said, how can you evaluate a QB’s talent behind a questionable offensive line with three preseason games of experience?

You can’t. This is why this soap opera drama will not end. Neither of the three QB’s will make it through a full season behind that offensive line…Not going to happen.

Fix the offensive line first, then focus on the QB, but of course, Redskins management will miss the call and get Cousins and McCoy beat up along with RGIII. I hope they all have paid up insurance policies.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:53 AM

So uninformed, you are. Cousins doesn’t take sacks or hits as much as Griffin or McCoy.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM

*Cue the turnover brigade*

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM

I do not think Cousins or McCoy will take us to a superbowl. I think Cousins or McCoy can pulls some wins out of there ass. I really do not think the future QB of the team is on the roster right now.
        Maybe a draft choice next year or picking up a vet I dunno. Only time will tell.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Fair enough. I don’t know if anyone in the NFL believes that Colt can to do that and less than 1% would give Kirk a chance at doing that. But let’s not get the cart before the horse. You need a TEAM that can get there. Seattle is a team that can get there – Russel Wilson helps a lot – but there are a dozen QBs that can take Seattle to a Super Bowl. There are only a handful of quarterbacks that make ANY team a contender. You put Joe Flacco on the Patriots, Broncos, or Packers and those teams are still playoff teams but nobody is making them favorites for the super bowl. Brett Farve made the Vikings a Super Bowl contender. The year before with the Jets, he did not. The team needs to be improved. So let’s get that done and maybe Kirk or Colt can become Andy Dalton and get us to the playoffs.

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Yeah I agree a lot with what you are saying it is definitely about the team. We need a better team and I think a more consistent team.

8. bowlregard - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:58 AM

There was a QB competition and RG lost. If you don’t play the best player at a position you risk losing the locker room. Too bad there was a coaching change. Too bad they didn’t have a QB coach last year. Life isn’t always fair.

And who knows? Maybe this is what RG needs to get it through his head that he has things to work on if he’s going to succeed here.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM

bowlregard posted: “There was a QB competition and RG lost.”

Given what we know about the randomness of QB performance in the NFL, the notion of a QB competition in preseason is absurd.

“If you don’t play the best player at a position you risk losing the locker room.”

It’s not for players in the locker room to figure out who the best players are. You don’t build teams to satisfy the qualms of the locker room.

• renhoekk2 - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM

The players know who is performing better than who at any position. If they see player X performing better than player Y, but player Y starting, it makes the players lose trust in the coaching staff. That performance doesn’t matter. That’s the culture that they’ve had at Redskins Park and they want to change.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM

At the same time they know it’s a business and where you got drafted affords you more or less opportunity. So even though the NFL is a meritocracy, not everyone starts on an equal playing field.

• TheHogs - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Not necessaily. Athletes tend to be biased when it comes to the performance of others, for many reasons.

9. ecuadorfan - Sep 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM

The big problem with Griffin, which many are ignoring, is…he can’t run the read option anymore! The injuries have taken their toll and he is no longer the running threat he was. Opponents don’t respect his running ability and they can just tee off on him. He is NOT a mobile QB any more

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Thanks to Shanny!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 4:21 PM

That’s a valid concern ecuador, I’ve been hoping that his mobility will improve in time. Typical injuries of this severity take two years to fully recover. I do read he runs a lot in practice but we’ve seen so little of it in those two games its difficult to know how mobile he is now.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Has Griffin lost a step? Depends on how you answer that question. I think his top speed is very close to where he was coming into the league. His sudden burst seems to be gone though. Take the first NYG game in his rookie year. He quickly created extra time and space by avoiding the rush, getting outside the pocket, reset his feet and threw an accurate ball to Logan Paulsen on 4th and something. That ability seems to be gone – whether from injury or from trying to force himself to stay in the pocket or a combination of both. Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy have successfully run the read option this year (in the preseason), so he hasn’t lost this ability. However, Robert seems unable to avoid contact – other than outrunning someone – and he doesn’t have the Tim Tebow or Cam Newton body to be the punish-er instead of the punish-ee.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM

It’s hard to know for sure if RG3’s has significantly loss that initial jump or explosion because I feel he has been trying to transitions his game. He’s never shown enough comfort working in the pocket for me to state anything conclusive. You made a great example of something we haven’t seen from him since injury.

There has also been something similar indicated by Keim where he stated “Griffin’s rookie year was magical, but as one official told me this summer, “That guy doesn’t exist anymore.” Two reasons: knee injury, ankle injury”. That’s a very telling statement but I’d expect such a statement to be more prevalent among both the media and other NFL insiders if it is 100% true.

10. hk2000 - Sep 1, 2015 at 1:04 PM

“….no reason to drive down his value..”? Really? The guy mopped the floor of that media room with his QB and now he’s being tactful? You’re kidding. This coach is the worst thing that happened to this team since the idiot Vinny was fired. As long as this moron is coaching the team, NO WAY IN HELL THEY EVER WIN ANYTHING. Rich, I know you’re smarter than that, but you’re acting as if this is a legitimate NFL level coach, when you know full well he’s a joke.

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Like you, I didn’t like Gruden as a head coach for the Redskins. I almost always go with the defensive coach over the offensive coach and thought better options than Gruden existed. That being said, Snyder may not have been able to get anyone better to come to Washington based on his history with coaches.

It is entirely possible, as sad as this is, that Gruden appeared to be the best option at the time. Going forward, I think they may find someone else to be the head coach long-term. However, Gruden needs to screw up really badly this year for the team to get rid of him, otherwise it is Dan Snyder firing coaches after 2-3 years. If Gruden goes 6-10 or better and looks competitive in the majority of the losses, the argument will be the team improved by 2 games and you can’t fire Gruden. On the other hand, if the team implodes and goes 4-12 again or worse and many of the losses aren’t competitive at all, then you will probably see the team let Gruden go. They may even suggest that he is a great OC, but was just put into too tough of a situation for a new head coach to make it sound not as bad.

When it is all said and done, Gruden’s tenure will depend on how competitive the team is and what other options are available to the team. If there isn’t anything better, the team may keep him and build up talent and depth for when a better option is available. Let’s see what happens. HTTR! This year should be interesting.

11. kenlinkins - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:03 PM

What I HAVE seen is the Head Coach in front of the media saying that Cousins is now the starting QB for the Redskins. What I have NOT seen is the new GM, the President or the Owner standing behind him agreeing that they are all on the same page. In corporate speak, what does it mean when the CEO, the CFO and the COO push the VP of Operations in front of the media while they hang back? It may mean that the VP may be sitting on the wrong side of the saw blade on the branch. It may mean that the powers to be have given the VP what he wants for the time being and allow him to burn up any and all credibility to get his way (i.e. “if you want that please place your head right there on the chopping block Sir and have at it”). That’s my question, why wasn’t the new GM right there next to the coach. I temper that with all the inside guys like Rich and others saying “Not so fast my friend, this is only for now, but, something is up but it will take some time to unfold”. So , has the HC placed his head on the block or are the powers to be just allowing him to run out in front of them while they take care of their business (i.e. trade, new deal, removing the $16 million option) over the next few weeks in an effort to gain the best outcome? Are they all really on the same page? I am not 100% sure about that and if I was the HC I would have wanted all four guys standing on that stage when I made Cousins the starter and calling the Redskins “His Team”.

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Right now, it is anybody’s guess as to what will happen. If Cousins plays well and gets the team to an 8-8 record or better, people will say he is a genius. If the team falls apart and stumbles to 3-13, then everyone will talk about Gruden making a lot of bad decisions and being over his head as the head coach.

Let’s see what happens and hope that things work out well for the Redskins. I think the real signal for how much faith the organization has in Gruden will be around week 10, if the team has a bad record and trades a veteran like P. Garcon or D. Jackson (or both) to someone that is competitive, then the team is preparing to let the coach go and enter full rebuild mode with more draft picks and cap space. However, this also assumes that the current WR draft picks are playing well and Scott believes the veterans are expendable based on a cost benefit analysis.

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 5:59 PM

I always thought Gruden was already over his head as the head coach. When the camera flashes to him he sometimes has the most profound clueless look on his face. Kind of like he is in the twilight zone.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Ken with all the media hupla out there i am sure they are on the same page. Also after hearing coach say numerous times in the past few days it has been a group decision. So i think they are behind the scenes trying to get the best out of this deal if there is any……Time will tell and until the NFL’s Dr clears Robert expect to know nothing.

• Skulb - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Well firstly it´s because picking the team is the job of the HC. Secondly, and the reason why this IS the HC´s job, it is to isolate Gruden on the choice. If Cousins doesn´t work out the option exists to blame it on Gruden alone and then replace the coach. You would not have the need to also replace the GM because he was responsible for making the choice. It´s just preemptive damage limitation and pretty normal everywhere except in Dallas. I think it just seems weird because of all the past issues in Washington but everyone seems to actually be doing just their own jobs on this one. Nice change really.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 4:15 PM

“That’s my question, why wasn’t the new GM right there next to the coach.”

I’m not sure I agree with your position here. I think it devalues the coach’s image if he needs his bosses behind him while he announces who the starters are out on the field. I think Scot has made it clear a few times in the past that as GM, it is the coach makes the decisions on who starts and that includes at quarterback. Based on the message of the past, I think it is a show of strength and solidarity when Gruden handles these interviews on changes in position and starters alone.

12. mauriceatwood - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM

This is all Gruden. I say keep RG3 around and if the Skins are horrible again this year then out with Gruden and his entire staff (other than Callahan) and in with another coach who will use a system geared toward the talent pool of RG3. Huge mistake hiring this guy.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM

how many coaches before it sinks in?

• mjthomas85 - Sep 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM

While I would really like to blame this all on Gruden since I thought he was a bad choice for a head coach, RG3 has to take some fault in this as well.

The fact is, the offensive line, special teams, and defense sucked when Gruden took over the team and didn’t have the resources to fix all of the issues. Quite frankly, fixing everything wrong with this team takes time. This is not a great situation for any quarterback, let alone one learning a new system and being asked to do things he hasn’t done before. That being said, RG3 stated that he wants to be more of a traditional drop back passer and hasn’t adapted to the new system, which has led to some of the controversy. Can he adapt? I don’t know. I hoped that he could, but at this point he hasn’t shown much, if any, progress.

Now for Gruden,it is true that a good coach should play to a players strengths. Gruden hasn’t done a great job of that with anyone on the team. However, RG3 wouldn’t have been able to run the read option last year with his ankle and needed to complete passes to take pressure of the run game and reduce the pass rush. He didn’t do that. Some of that is play calling, but it is also decision making by RG3.

If RG3 is unwilling to sign a contract that works for the team and pays him for performance, at least a 2 year contract, then the team needs to look at trading him and/or releasing him. There are too many unknowns. Let’s say the team offered RG3 a 2 year contract with $10 million in guarantees and incentives that reach $18 million+ per season ($36 million total). If he signed that contract, it would take away the concern over the 5th year option guarantee and reward RG3 for his success. Additionally, if RG3 played well this year or next, he could in theory hold out or negotiate a better long-term contract.

When it is all said and done, there is plenty of blame to go around to everyone involved, including RG3.

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM

RG3 does not deserve any guaranteed money. A player needs more on the field production to justify guaranteed money.
        Always remember what N.F.L. stand for: “Not For Long.” If you do not perform you are out simple as that. He had a mediocre camp and then he goes out and fumbles a ball with no one touching him and gets hurt again.
        It just didn’t add up with Rob at the moment. I think Rob will fit in nice with Andy Reid over there in KC. Andy Reid knows how to deal with players like RG3. I think Gruden ultimately did not have at in RG3 and felt like his ability as a coach was being diminished by Rob.
        Oh Well, to each is own and the sun will come up tomorrow. By the way, I want my wedding gift back RG3.
        RIP RG3

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:33 PM

What’s the politically correct term for someone who gives a gift and then wants it back?

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:40 PM

HAHA!

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM

that was a good one ben!!!!

13. goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:09 PM

And for Colt McCoy I really like the guy. Solid QB. He was a beast in college at Texas. Actually what is funny about him there are a lot of Dallas Cowboys fans that really like Colt. Colt McCoy has a real following and liking with the Texas crowd. So when he came in their last year and beat Dallas it was kind of ironic.
    I like Colt he should be kept around as the number 2 guy and is see no reason why RG3 wont be released immediately when he passes his concussion test.

14. goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:14 PM

And for Cousins, he has a chance to be the man thats for sure. He has the weapons on the outside.
    Cousins is a gun slinger except sometimes his bullets miss the target.

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:21 PM

I noticed also that Cousins interviews with the media are much more smooth and he does not talk about himself very much. He praises other people around him and that shows class.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 6:40 PM

The Cooley film breakdown gives us some hope that Kirk can get it done:

Listen if you’re ready to move on.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM

always great stuff love to hear his breakdowns !

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM

The guy has a good eye. There have been times that I wish he were wrong but he gets it right WAAAAY more times than he gets it wrong.

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM

yes he does, he is also pretty fair across the board IMO

• gasngo14 - Sep 1, 2015 at 7:40 PM

This week i did not realize Balt blitzed so much until i listen to him and re watched the 1st half!

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Same on the blitzes. Not very sporting of the Ravens to have such a heavy blitz game plan for a preseason game

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Well Bang lets see what happens after the Dolphins spend 10 good practices game planning on Cousins. Cousins doesn’t have it easy facing some really good defenses in the coming two weeks. Again, I hope Cousins lights it up but no Cooley or any other media cheerleader of Cousins is going to convince me how on top of his game is against mostly backups. I call him a cheerleader because key facts are being ignored. While I didn’t listen all of it; I also didn’t hear Cooley address how Cousins performed against the true starting defense. I didn’t hear how he addressed Cousins easy interception that gave the Ravens 3 points. I didn’t hear how the tipped passed into coverage under duress was compete luck where the only real credit goes to Crowder for maintaining great concentration. I didn’t hear about how Cousins over threw a wide open Ryan Grant on at least 2 occasions. His stats are bloated by players that are not qualified starters for the Ravens. Let’s keep this in perspective since Cooley is no Ron Jaworski when it comes to breaking down player performances.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Actually in a much smaller sample size, Cooley is a Ron Jaworski. Both had the same opinions about our choice for QB and Cooley has been accurate on all of our guys. He’s basically a Jaworski for Skins fans but like I said where I posted the link, listen if you’re ready to move on. Clearly you’re not.

Cooley does go into the interception at the end of the podcast – how that’s on Cousins. Has a different take than you on the fluke. Says Cousins recognized the pressure and subtly moved in the pocket buying time putting the ball on Roberts’ hands in single coverage. One of the Grant overthrows, Grant slipped on the break. But c’mon, regardless of who is defending, you’re going to go negative on the incompletions? 20 of 27. Why don’t you take a look at those incompletions then decide if it necessary to be negative. Also, if you do give it another listen, listen to the positive things he said about Kirk Cousins (Redskin quarterback) and see if what he says about reading the field, throwing guys open, and being able to avoid pressure continue to be areas that he excels at or are just a one game fluke in the preseason. Cooley wasn’t predicting future success only analyzing what he saw in Baltimore.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Cooley states, and I’m paraphrasing that the Dolphins will see the blitzes that Ravens threw at Cousins and realize that if we’ll need to play soft on this guy because if we try to Blitz Cousins he’ll beat us!!! This will be something to watch and follow back up on later. While the Dolphins may not need to blitz much with the D-line they have, I doubt they’ll view it the same way Cooley does.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM

As for the Dolphins game plan, Cooley said, “The Dolphins will look at this film and say we can’t blitz this guy. He will pick us apart.” He expected they would use a soft zone.

My opinion, is that they won’t need to blitz to generate pressure and it will be interesting to see how Cousins responds to that.

• bangkokben - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:11 PM

I agree on both points – not needing to blitz and not being afraid of Cousins. Nonetheless, I’m encouraged that this offense (which is pooh-poohed by a vocal antagonistic group) suits this quarterback (which there is an equally vocal antagonistic group.)

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:19 PM

I’m still listening to it but I’m not even sure what you mean about this move on banter. I’ve clearly stated my opinion about supporting Cousins and accepting Gruden’s choice regardless of the inept coach I think he is. If you are suggesting move on as realizing Cousins will be the starting QB than I think every fan understands that already. I’m certainly not going to jump on the Cousins “is our new Franchise QB bandwagon” like the Cooley sound bites just because he had a few good games against mostly backups in Preseason. Preseason performances often don’t translate into regular season performances. I can’t count how many times that has been proven the case. I’m also well aware of Cousins ability to have good games and then to bottom out the next. Cousins needs to demonstrate at a high level consistently and prove he can overcome his confidence issues after throwing interceptions.

The best breakdown Cooley has provided so far is where he demonstrates the 1/2 second difference between Cousins drop back, back foot plant, and throw versus RG3’s drop back, back foot plant, hop, and throw. However, it’s more of a drop back, back foot plant, jump step, and throw that you can see RG3 go threw with his motions at times.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Oh there is not doubt this offense suits Cousins very well. Cousins is never short on smarts and mechanics. His biggest issue has always been accuracy IMO. However, I always felt when given a chance to become a true starter he’ll improve. It’s a matter of where Cousins ceiling is but under the perfect system he can be a productive QB in this game.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for the link btw – I bookmarked the site.

• goback2rfk - Sep 1, 2015 at 11:40 PM

As long as Cousins has 2X TD to INT ratio I am fine with that. So If he can go 350 Yards, 4 TD’s and 2 INT’s I am good with that. He throws into some tight windows so some INT’s are gunna happen.
          He will throw the ball into gaps instead of taking sacks as RG3 would have not thrown the ball taken the sack and fumbled.

• Rich Tandler - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM

So, the bar for Cousins is 5,600 yards and 64 touchdowns? Tough standard.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:00 AM

I meant to mention Cooley take on the tip. I’m all for the fact Cousins read a blitz and led Suggs unblocked while Cousins rolled back towards the far hash away from him to buy more time. I still don’t see how you get a positive out of the throw into coverage. I watched it again and their were two defenders and receivers almost in the same spot. Someone must have blown the route there and most likely it was Crowder because the two were on a collision course. I never could tell if it hit Roberts in the hand along with the defender, the guy covering Roberts looks like he had a hand in there as well. However, I don’t have good enough video to get a clear picture. Based on what I saw, throws like that are normally not going to go the offense’s way. I can never match Cooley’s understanding of the offense but I don’t know how you can commend Cousins on the decision to throw it there unless Crowder shouldn’t have been in that same area.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 12:03 AM

“He throws into some tight windows so some INT’s are gunna happen.”

This has been true about Cousins in the past. Sometimes I wonder if he forgets he doesn’t have the arm strength to throw like John Elway or RG3 for that matter. If Cousins learns not to force throws when situations get heated then he’ll be fine.

• gasngo14 - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM

@nameis

before you post about not hearing so much , why don’t you do yourself a favor and listen to the ENTIRE breakdown THEN critic the “cheerleader”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Gas, please take your advice elsewhere. I really don’t care whatsoever with what you have to comment about here. You’re are a creepy little fella that I’d prefer not getting into any more discussions with you.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM

“So, the bar for Cousins is 5,600 yards and 64 touchdowns? Tough standard.”

I’ll take it!

15. redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Another perspective form a great Redskins.

Looks like some fans with RG3 cross hairs need to read this..
    “If you go back to last season and you look at how Jay handled him in that press conference, that’s unprecedented for a head coach to handle somebody like that in a press conference. … I think Jay just really doesn’t believe in him as a quarterback, so I don’t think he’s been handled fairly. He was always going to be looked at under a microscope. His mistakes was going to be viewed bigger than any of the other quarterbacks’ mistakes.”

By Scott Allen September 1 at 2:24 PM
    Everything at stake after RGIII’s benching
    Play Video2:12
    The Post’s Dan Steinberg discusses the effects of Jay Gruden’s decision to name Kirk Cousins the starting quarterback, effectively benching Robert Griffin III, the one-time franchise savior. (Thomas Johnson/The Washington Post)
    Former Redskins linebacker London Fletcher said he spoke to Robert Griffin III after Redskins Coach Jay Gruden’s announcement on Monday that Kirk Cousins will be the team’s starting QB for the 2015 season.

“With my communication with Robert, especially after what transpired yesterday, he was blindsided by this,” Fletcher said Tuesday during an appearance with The Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan. “It doesn’t feel like they were totally honest with him about the process and where he was at. I guess in his eyes, he wasn’t treated fairly. If you go back to last season and you look at how Jay handled him in that press conference, that’s unprecedented for a head coach to handle somebody like that in a press conference. … I think Jay just really doesn’t believe in him as a quarterback, so I don’t think he’s been handled fairly. He was always going to be looked at under a microscope. His mistakes was going to be viewed bigger than any of the other quarterbacks’ mistakes.”

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Sep 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Sorry about some of the garbage data but no ability to edit prevents me form cleaning this up on a premature post.

• brucefan1 - Sep 2, 2015 at 9:19 AM

If Griffin actually made those statements to Fletcher, I think he should not have done so (no matter HOW true, they actually might be). They just gives his detractors a reason to call him a whiner or a poor-sport — and they may just grease the skids for his railroading out of DC.

(Hey maybe that’s what he’s doing … FORCING the Skins to release him — just in case they actually have any intention to bury him as a 3rd stringer who doesn’t dress on game day and never even PRACTICES! If so, maybe he’s crazy lika fox?)

16. Cedric Curtis - Sep 2, 2015 at 3:21 AM

I dont like jay gruden !!! RG3 for life!!!