Aug 31, 2015, 5:25 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, August 31, five days before the Washington Redskins make their final cuts.
Don’t hold your breath
If you haven’t read the column by colleague Tarik El-Bashir on why Jay Gruden should get a starting quarterback named sooner rather than later, go here to read it. Go ahead, I’ll wait, be right here.
. . .
Oh, hi, you’re back.
Here’s the thing–I think Tarik is going to be disappointed. There is absolutely no hurry for the Redskins to take any action on Griffin.
The Redskins will hold relatively light practices on Monday and Tuesday. Tomorrow’s session will come less than 48 hours after the physical game against the Ravens and the next day will be two days out from the final preseason game. The first team offense isn’t going to play so there will really be no need to put Robert Griffin III or Kirk Cousins or, if you like long shots, Colt McCoy in as the “starting” quarterback during practice.
The team will hold its annual welcome home luncheon on Wednesday and the back end of the roster will play the Jaguars on Thursday.
The team has already announced that there will no media availability on Friday or Saturday, as final cuts are made. Sunday is like a no-availability day as the practice squad is finalized. The team has revised its schedule and now will take Monday as its regular day off. So the week will start a week from tomorrow. The will need to have identified a starting quarterback by then.
That’s eight days away.
Maybe the Redskins will move up the timetable to end the speculation and noise. But the probably want to at least wait until Griffin is cleared to play before making a decision public and that can’t happen until Friday at the earliest.
So, with a lack of incentive for the Redskins to hurry, we will wait. It could seem like an eternity.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:00, Jay Gruden news conference and player availability after practice (approx. 1:00)
—It’s been 246 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be 13 days until they play the Dolphins at FedEx Field.
—Days until: Final cuts 5; Rams @ Redskins 20; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 24
In case you missed it
- Decision makers on the same page
- End game? Per report, RG3 finished as starting QB
- El-Bashir: Gruden needs to make a move, now
- Kirk Cousins looks good after rocky start, but is it enough?
- Jones, Crowder continue strong preseason against Ravens
- Bubble watch version 6.0: Predicting the Redskins’ 53-man roster
- Redskins stock up-stock down vs. Ravens
Follow Us On Twitter
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source
- What should the Redskins do at running back?
- Effective in Detroit but lacking big plays, Kirk Cousins says 'I go where my reads take me'
- Did DeSean Jackson take a shot at Redskins' offense on Instagram?
- Redskins' loss leaves them in a muddled situation
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions by the numbers—Two firsts for Rob Kelley