Bubble watch version 6.0: Predicting the Redskins’ 53-man roster

Aug 30, 2015, 10:32 AM EDT

Redskins line stretch camp 2015

With one set of cuts coming Tuesday and the final roster getting set on Saturday, bubble players are running out of time to make the roster.

Here are my projections of who will end up on the roster when the dust settles and that roster is turned in plus a look at who is just hanging on and four who are just on the wrong side of the bubble. I’ve added some comments as needed.

Related: Bubble watch version 5.0

Offense

Quarterback (3): Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin III, Colt McCoy

Like everything else here, the starter here is my best guess as of right now.

Offensive line (9): Trent Williams, Shawn Lauvao, Kory Lichtensteiger, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Tom Compton, Spencer Long, Arie Kouandjio, Josh LeRibeus

I’ve had LeRibeus off and on the 53. He’s back on because I don’t see who else can be a backup center. The backups are unbalanced, with three interior linemen and one tackle, Compton but maybe Scherff could kick out to tackle in an emergency. There is perhaps another adjustment coming on the next version

Wide receiver (6): Pierre Garçon, DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Ryan Grant, Jamison Crowder, Evan Spencer.

Tight end (3): Jordan Reed, Derek Carrier, Je’Ron Hamm

Running back (4): Alfred Morris, Darrel Young, Matt Jones, Chris Thompson

Defense

Defensive line (7): Jason Hatcher, Terrance Knighton, Stephan Paea, Chris Baker, Ricky Jean Francois, Kedric Golston, Frank Kearse

Outside linebacker (5): Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Murphy, Preston Smith, Houston Bates, Jackson Jeffcoat

Inside linebacker (4): Perry Riley, Keenan Robinson, Will Compton, Martrell Spaight

Cornerback (4): Chris Culliver, DeAngelo Hall, David Amerson, Justin Rogers

Bashaud Breeland will not be on Week 1 roster due to NFL suspension so he is not listed here.

Safety (5): Dashon Goldson, Duke Ihenacho, Jeron Johnson, Kyshoen Jarrett, Trenton Robinson

Specialists (3): LS Nick Sundberg, P Tress Way, PK Kai Forbath

The numbers: 25 offense, 25 defense, 3 specialists; 16 new to the Redskins organization in 2015 including eight draft picks

Last 4 on

OL Josh LeRibeus —He should hang on for a fourth season due to a lack of backup options in the interior line. To his credit, he went from being not an option at center to a layer who could make it based on his ability to be the emergency backup there.

TE Je’Ron Hamm—He easily could be knocked off if the team sees another possible solution on the waiver wire.

CB Justin Rogers—He helped himself a lot last night by chasing down the Ravens’ Asa Jackson on a kickoff return, preventing a touchdown. But there are big question marks about his ability to stay on the roster once Breeland returns from his one-game suspension.

LB Houston Bates—Having a couple of solid preseason games is one thing. Consistently doing what you need to do to make an NFL team is another. He can’t relax for a second and even if he manages not to someone could still bypass him.

Four more close to the bubble: LB Jackson Jeffcoat, DL Kedric Golston, S Trenton Robinson, DL Frank Kearse

Last 4 cuts

OT Willie Smith—It would be great if he could work out, a relatively young veteran coming back to his original NFL home (he made the team as an undrafted rookie in 2011). But the performance against the Lions may just be too much to overcome.

WR Rashad Ross—He can play some as he showed in the preseason games. Ross leads the team in all three major receiving categories with 15 catches for 163 yards and three touchdowns. But the numbers at wide receiver just don’t work for him. They are unlikely to keep more than six and I can’t see Ross beating out any of the guys who are in.

OT Takoby Cofield—The team paid him the maximum signing bonus for an undrafted free agent so they thought highly of him coming out of Duke. He has had a good camp and if he has a good preseason Cofield could make a case for a spot on the 53. For now, he appears to be practice squad material.

LB Terrance Plummer—The undrafted rookie has been all over the field, making tackles from sideline to sideline. He could force the Redskins to add a fifth inside linebacker to the roster.

Four more just on the wrong side of the bubble: OL Austin Reiter, S Akeem Davis, RB Trey Williams, OL Tyler Larsen

106 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. goback2rfk - Aug 30, 2015 at 10:47 AM

We are weak as hell at Tight End. When Reed gets hurt again early in the season we will be up shits creek.
    I hope they keep Jeffcoat I think he can be decent. We will see what happens but the roster to me looks just OK. I am thinking they can pull out 6 wins this year. 6 and 10 sounds just about right.

• celeoinc - Aug 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM

I’d say 8-8 if special teams improve. However, as it is right now 6-10 looks about right..

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Yeah but we were weak/thin at TE before Paul and Paulson went down. I’ve been saying this all offseason. TE and ILB are the two positions that scare me the most. Even with Paul and Paulson, we were undersized and had a lack of overall talent. I wish we would have drafted a guy or taken a chance on a free agent. I would feel better had we taken Gresham. But I guess you can’t get it all done in one offseason. The good news is that we entered the season expecting to be weak at TE, assuming Reed doesn’t play 16 games. So we’re right back where we started. The other good news is that you can survive without a great TE much easier than other positions, so, I think we will be fine overall. As far as the affects of that position goes anyway.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Oh, I should have also said that it was a weak TE draft class. So I don’t necessarily blame Scot for not drafting one. That’s just how it worked out.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Jordan Reed certainly made a difference last night, though. Of course, we have to look at every game he plays as unexpected bonus or we will live on the island of disappointment.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 10:10 PM

Yeah, I’m with you man. I feel so much better when he’s in the game, the passing attack just seems to function better. But we can’t rely on that. The best case scenario for us is that he kicks the injury bug, plays 14-16 games for us, and he ends up back on track and has a great career with us. Even though his blocking leaves something to be desired, he adds enough elsewhere where this team really needs him. I know, for a fact, that some people can figure out how to work out different or prepare different and learn to stay healthy. I’m just hoping Reed figures that out.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:28 AM

I’d refine the TE issue as more of a blocking TE issue. I think we are fine in terms of pass catching TEs. Behind Reed you probably will have Derek Carrier who I think will give us a better passing threat than both Niles and Logan.

• bowlregard - Aug 31, 2015 at 10:42 AM

It looks like they might put Compton in as a blocking TE sometimes. One concern there is he’s the only backup tackle on the team, as per above.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 31, 2015 at 9:46 PM

I don’t know a whole lot about Carrier, so I’m not qualified to comment on his skill set. But wow, you expect him to be a better pass catcher than Paul? Of all the knocks I ever had on Paul, catching the ball was never one of them. He’s a pretty good receiver. So I will be very pleased if Carrier is even better. I like his height better. That’s always a plus, especially in the red zone. But You’re right when you say blocking is the big issue for our TEs. That has always been my complaint; none of them were very good blockers. With so many complaining about the state of our Oline over the past couple years it has been confusing to me with how comfortable people are with basically having a couple WRs play, and block, as TEs for the team. The blocking has been subpar all around. But I say it would be a great thing for the team is Reed stays healthy, even though he sucks at blocking, because he really does add that much to the passing attack. Plus it would just be good to see and probably help moral. Maybe he will even pickup blocking better if he sees more time on the field, although probably not. But the good news is that this TE is a position you can get by without if you don’t have a stud. As long as you plan properly.

2. celeoinc - Aug 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM

I agree with everything, except that we will keep seven defensive linemen and 5 safeties. I think we will keep 6 linemen, 10 linebackers, 4 safeties, and 5 corners. DHall situation is very “if” as far staying healthy and our linemen (knocking on the wood) look healthy right now. I’d love to see Andre Roberts cut, but it won’t happen.

3. gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 11:21 AM

This is a fine list, and probably ultimately will be spot on. “Goback2RFK” is right that the Skins are extremely light at TE, but they may have to just hold their breath to get through the season and wait for Niles Paul and Logan P. to return next season, and/or see who’s available in the draft. The Skins have already dealt two future late picks for fringe players this offseason, and it’s not as if the team will be making a run for the conference championship this year.

Regardless, it’s so refreshing to finally have a highly competent personnel man as GM finally making these decisions.

4. mr.moneylover - Aug 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I dont trust chris Thompson staying healthy for 16 games….I think they keep trey Williams….jackson jeffcoat help his case this preseason he might end up starting on the other side of kerrigan week 1……its time to cut ties with these wanna be NFL players like trent Murphy and David amerson we will be better without them even Quinton Dunbar look better then david amerson

• Dcwun - Aug 30, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Amerson is HORRIBLE! I agree that it is time to move on from him.

• bowlregard - Aug 31, 2015 at 10:43 AM

He’s not horrible. He got schooled by a hall-of-famer Saturday night.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM

I personally don’t see any way Trey Williams makes the team. I know he’s a fan favorite, but he was a long shot to begin with. Then I don’t think he’s done a whole lot in the games to help his argument. Thompson has looked like the better back.

But wow, cut Trent Murphy? Really? I get that’s he’s no Jouston Houston or Ryan Kerrigan but he’s a pretty serviceable 3-4 OLB. He’s actually great against the run, not a complete liability in coverage, and he at least causes some QB hurries if not sacks. I will admit, I was happy with his pre season performances until last night. Him and Smith both looked flat footed out there, to me. But I need to go back and re watch the game before I scold him too much. I know there’s some promise at OLB on our depth chart, however, right now Murphy is easily in the 2nd best spot. He would have been a fantastic depth player had Gilette not gone down, but he did. So now he’s a starter until Smith can pass him. You can’t just cut your 2nd best OLB. You could do a lot worse than Trent Murphy.

• Steven Loar - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:07 PM

I completely agree with you. Trey Williams, I feel has quicker feet. more explosion off the ball and great lane finder. Overall better player then Chris Thompson.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Overall not better than Chris Thompson who has demonstrated the ability to pick up blitzes and perform well against backups. Right now Trey hasn’t even played backups where he’s playing rookies and TC fhodder. Trey may get his shot next season but there is no way he is better overall right now over Thompson. I don’t even think he is a better runner at this point. Can he find and hit the tighter holes that will occur against starters like Thompson has?

• bowlregard - Aug 31, 2015 at 10:46 AM

The difference might be CT’s ability to pick up blitzes at this point. If Trey is on the PS I hope nobody claims him.

5. mr.moneylover - Aug 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Defense still look a mess our starting defensive line dont have a sack in the pre-season if im the defense coordinator im changing the D-line jason hatcher look old hes not explosive off the ball and Stephen paea barely move his guy back

• kenlinkins - Aug 30, 2015 at 1:26 PM

I agree on Hatcher, I just haven’t seen him really show up yet.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Hatcher has had the best pressures among all the starting D-line in preseason. I wouldn’t count him out yet but Stephen Paea hasn’t looked good at all to me in games. He consistently is getting pushed back and isn’t able to break off containment.

• bowlregard - Aug 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Remember Kerrigan hasn’t played.

6. kenlinkins - Aug 30, 2015 at 12:39 PM

IMO, Golston, Roberts, Hamm, LeRibeus and maybe even RG3 are in trouble. The new GM might keep 26 Offense and only 24 Defense. IMO Ross, Cofield and Trey Williams would not clear waivers so the GM might want to make room by only using 6DL, or 2TE, or even 2QB to make room to keep 2 of the 3. If the Redskins find someone on the wire who can play C/G then LeRibeus is gone. Hamm and the other TE’s, would clear waivers and be signed to PS. Golston would clear the waiver wire and be there if needed later (i.e. just a phone call away). IMO,Roberts would be trade bait with so many teams looking for WR help due to injury. With so many DB’s on the roster, I am a little disappointed that none really was able to push a hurt Hall off the roster, but to date none did. This is a major area of concern. If the Redskins didn’t sign Culliver as FA the D-backfield would be a mess. I do not think we will see any real shocks in the cut down to 75, as we all have seen 15 guys (well 14 if you use Galette to IR) that can be released with any cause for concern, but IMO we might see a trade for draft picks or a TE or a back up center by using Roberts. I am looking forward to seeing how the new GM works and just how he values the up and coming young guys and the long term health of the roster.

• Skulb - Aug 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM

I´m not sure I´m on board with Roberts. So far he seems to have picked up his game a bit since last year. As for pushing Hall, go look at the red zone stop he made with his fingertips last night. I´m not sure if you can even coach about half the things D´angelo does on the field.

7. Dcwun - Aug 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Ross has proves every game that he deserves a roster spot. I don’t think he clears waivers……

8. gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Rich-

The risk of playing Griffin in a game relative to the salary cap is potentially catastrophic as the guarantee if it were triggered would compel the Skins to allocate approximately 11% of next season’s cap to just one roster spot, creating potential cap casualties too numerous to fathom right now. Of course, we won’t know the official 2016 cap until the offseason, but just for the sake of argument assume this season’s $143MM cap and a guarantee of $16.1MM. The amount of the guarantee for ’16 is already set as Griffin was selected with the second overall pick and therefore the compensation is based on the average of the top ten players at his position. The higher injury guarantee under the current CBA for fifth year options based on very early first round selections such as Griffin adds additional risk to teams at the top of the first round. The risk is a lot less than it was under the previous CBA e.g. St. Louis drafting Bradford in 2010 and his $50MM guarantee, but the risk hasn’t been fully abated. I digress.

My question- Is there “non-game” risk with Griffin that would trigger the guarantee? For example, what if Griffin had been injured during warmups in Baltimore? We saw Skins players get injured during warmups in Tampa in 2012. How about a practice injury like the one Galette sustained last week? Not to take it to the level of absurdity, but how about a serious weight room injury? We know with Orakpo that a pec tear can be a very long recovery. And if these kinds of non-game risks trigger the guarantee than wouldn’t it make sense to consider cutting Griffin now?

Thanks for any information you may have on this.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 1:56 PM

My apologies. The correct grammar is “then” not “than”.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Been saying for over a week the RISK vs REWARD is the BIG question this organization needs to answer moving forward, it shall be interesting to see what unfolds. IMO the RISK outweigh the rewards at this point.

• goback2rfk - Aug 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM

RG3 Is going no where people. Why the sudden freak out. He may sit out against Miami but he will surely be back by week 2.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Unfortunately, I’ve yet to see the crystal ball that some people seem to have that enables them to be so certain about future events. If I did, I’d go out and win the powerball this week. Who would have predicted just two weeks ago that Griffin would not start or play in the most important third pre-season game?

I have no way of knowing how this ends. In theory, Griffin could end up playing for the Redskins for the next twelve years and then be selected for Canton. But, there are a few really important variables that complicate playing and/or retaining Griffin.

Why the sudden freak out? Because PERHAPS the front office has changed its risk assessment following the brutal beating Griffin took in the Detroit game. Griffin is a QB with a significant risk history over his so far short career. MAYBE they believe they kind of got off lucky that a serious injury didn’t occur to Griffin, which could have triggered the guarantee. As much as anything these days, prudent management of the salary cap is critical to a team’s success in a league with a hard cap. The 2016 guarantee for cap purposes is approximately 240% of Griffin’s 2015 cap figure, or nearly $10 million more than this season, meaning either a few players would need to be released or players’ contracts restructured to accommodate the guarantee. And the latter option isn’t a panacea as that means they’d simply be rolling the problem into later cap years.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:52 PM

My understanding is that any injury that he sustains would have to keep him injured on the first day of the league year (around March 1st, 2016). So if he is still injured then, the cap hit would be on the Redskins 2016 cap which is estimated to be around $150M. If say he injures his MCL in December, it is very conceivable that he would be cleared by the start of the league year or that he might need another month in which case if the Redskins wanted to release him, my understanding is that there would be an injury settlement – which would be a portion of the $16M and that would indeed be the cap hit. Perhaps a couple of million. Again, this is my understanding – nothing close to Gospel.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:11 PM

I think you’re close. Of course, this is all new and a function of the rookie wage scale and first contract language that was collectively bargained for players drafted in 2011 and later. I don’t believe there has been a test case yet under the current framework where a team exercised the fifth year option that we could use to ascertain the potential ramifications regarding Griffin. That would have so far only possibly happened with the 2011 draft class.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:23 PM

Right and very few players have had the injury risk/history. In addition, picking up the option is usually a sign that the team will make a long-term deal or has a cap issue/other priority players to sign long-term first. Bruce Irvin comes to mind (although possibly erroneously.) I don’t recall a scenario where the team took the option with the ‘out’ being so tied to its reporting. The out has been there for every team. For instance, assuming I recalled Irvin correctly, I doubt the Seattle beat writers put in the article, the parts about Seattle’s right to rescind except in case of injury.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:32 PM

I’m wrong, Seattle did not pick up the option – that was the thing they did pissing off Irvin. (Second year in a row where they did not pick up the option.)

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM

I was going to mention Irvin but you beat me to it. No exercise….

9. soulbldr7 - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM

Rich, what does Evan Spencer have that Rashad Ross does not? I haven’t seen much of Spencer as way of performance while Ross has been destroying it on the field. I know your busy but it would be great if you could answer this questionhttps://s0.wp.com/wp-content/themes/vip/nbcsports/img/post_comment.gif for me.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Spencer was a draft pick for special teams; Ross was not picked nor does he do the dirty work on special teams. If Ross were to make the team, he’d be one of the inactives on game day and only make the active roster if there was an injury to DJax or Garcon that would keep them off the active list for a week. (DeSean’s shoulder may have kept him out of a game last year.) If Ross was on the practice squad, they likely could cut the last guy on the 53 and activate Ross should that scenario arise. The risk, is that some other team that needs a WR desperately could sign him off the practice squad. Contrary to the opinion of most fans, there are a dozen or two teams that have a guy like R. Ross on their own squad. If we were doing Rich’s poker chip thing, I’d put $80 that Ross ends up on our practice squad, $15 he ends up on another team’s practice squad, and $5 that he gets claimed by another team. Remember, in order for Ross to make another team, that team would then have to cut a guy who made their 53 out of camp.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 5:50 PM

I think you undercut Rashad Ross a bit here. He is a decent return player on special teams. It appears you have him pigeonholed as strictly a WR but he’s done okay returning kicks. Maybe I’m wrong but that is how i read it. Anyway, I see him on PS and probably being picked up again by another team. I feel for the guy because he so close to being good enough to make a 53 man roster but just seems to lose out where ever he goes.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Sure, he’s DECENT as a returner but we drafted a returner and still have one on the team that plays regularly on offense not to mention DeSean Jackson. If he did the dirty work on teams (gunner on punt returns, for instance), I’d give him a higher chance at making A team. The only team that needs a kick returner is the team playing the Redskins. I agree with the other stuff though. He’ll be on the PS and he gave it his all. He at least has Thursday to really showcase his talent. And whoever is quarterbacking the twos and threes is looking his way first.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:05 PM

@Bang: you nailed it on the Spencer/Ross thing. On every point. But it’s especially strange that people are acting like Ross is some commodity that we can’t find somewhere else. He’s had a couple decent pre season games. So what? A lot of guys do. But he’s low on the depth chart of a stacked receiver corps, doesn’t a spectacular body to set him apart, and doesn’t offer the ability to cover on special teams like other players. There are mediocre receivers on just about every team. Guys who look decent in limited showings and pre season battles where schemes are vanilla and guys who aren’t at risk of getting cut maybe don’t give 100%.

You have Garçon, DJax, Roberts, Crowder, and Grant all on the depth chart in front of Ross. Who wants to let any of those guys go for him? They’re all better or just as good receivers and Crowder, Thompson, and Roberts can take return duties. Even Desean could return some kicks and maybe add some life to our special teams. So that just leave him vs Spencer. Someone who was drafted by this GM with a purpose in mind. A big body to cover on special teams. Ross can’t offer that. Ross has also been in the league longer and should look like a more polished receiver than Spencer, but that doesn’t make him good. There’s a reason he’s a perennial practice squad guy. We have plenty of capable receivers and return men but we need more big bodies on special teams. Especially with Paul and Hayward out. Let’s all get back to reality and not get too caught up with pre season darlings. Ross has been fun to watch in the pre season, but he’s not an answer to any problem this team has.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:23 PM

“Ross has been fun to watch in the pre season, but he’s not an answer to any problem this team has.”

That about sums it up, doesn’t it?

Every year we are outraged that some darling didn’t make the team. Last year, it was Lache Seastrunk; this year Rashad Ross. There may be more with Bates, Jeffcoat, and Plummer; but key injuries give these guys a legitimate chance, While before the injuries to Hayward and Galette, their chances were super slim. I’m curious, as to which draft pick might not make the team or will there be a surprise cut in the first round to give a vet a chance to make another team?

10. Skulb - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Plummer and Ross at least should have done enough to land a job somewhere, even if it isn´t in DC.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Practice squad is what I’d expect for both. Plummer is an interesting player that shows real promise as an inside LB.

• Skulb - Aug 30, 2015 at 5:58 PM

But isn´t the rule that PS players have to be let go or moved to the AR if there are offers from other clubs? What I meant was that any team that gets short on OLBs and WRs now are likely to give both these guys a serious look.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Yeah, they’ll have to be cut and then resigned to the PS. It’s the risk every team takes on a player they like but can’t fit on the roster. My only other guess is that Plummer could make the final 53 since we did lose Hayward to IR. But I’m sure how the team can keep him on the 53 unless Compton or Spaight go down to an injury.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Any team that wants either one, would then have to cut someone that initially made their team. Ross would have to be a 3rd/4th receiver on a team since he doesn’t do the dirty work on teams. Very few teams, if any, have openings at that spot. Most teams have an Aldrick Robinson type guy or that guy Terrance something-or-other that they drafted and therefore want to keep. Plummer may fit but is likely the last guy on the team that may get cut and signed to the practice squad after Breeland returns from suspension.

11. goback2rfk - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Suh and Wake would destroy RG3 if he plays week 1. Maybe the Redskins are holding RG3 out so he doesn’t get pummled behind the offensive line week 1. No way that line is ready for Suh and Wake

12. Myron Lofton - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:30 PM

RGIII must go! Look for his departure this upcoming week. Sorry, he cannot quarterback effectively in this league.
    Let’s get something for him or outright release. Go ‘Skins, let’s part ways.

13. redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Rashad Ross and Trey Williams are probably practice squad players. Ross has been in and out of practice squads of many teams. Its interesting how he is unable to catch on but he’ll probably continue attract the attention of other teams like he has in the past. He’s a decent returner but he didn’t separate himself in that role enough to make the 53 man squad.

If any questions loom about RG3’s concussion next week then Cousins will get the start. If RG3 is cleared OFFICIALLY then I expect its a toss up as to what decision the coaches will make. With a gauranteed $16 million dollar option approaching next season, I have to assume the staff wants to get RG3 as soon as possible to determine if he has a real future here. Otherwise, the later the team waits the riskier it gets in playing him.

14. Thomas O'Brien - Aug 30, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I think Griffen will not be on the roster come week one and Ross will be and will be the main kickoff man.

15. obxskins - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Ross has outplayed Spencer has downs….Plummer is everywhere…shame we didn’t see him against the 1st stringers much! I think he would be wreck havoc on special teams…if the best players are truly making the team then there is no way these 2 can’t make it..guess the new GM will let us know how much he does control the players this team has..starting this Tuesday!

• obxskins - Aug 30, 2015 at 4:10 PM

Ross outplayed Spencer hands down

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:51 PM

Yeah but Spencer, and others, were drafted for their potential more than where they are right now. I don’t see Scot cutting one of his draft picks for a guy who has been a regular on team’s practice squads. WR is one position we have depth at and can afford to let someone go in order to develop a younger guy with higher upsize. Spencer’s height and weight make him desirable as a receiver and special teamer. I doubt anybody expected him to start or even look all that great as a rookie. He was drafted as a project. I don’t think a couple pre season games will be enough to derail that project, and I don’t think Ross has done enough to change the decision maker’s mind.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:23 PM

How do you replace the kick off and punt coverage duties with Spencer out? Ross can’t do it and when you lose SP coverage stalwarts like Niles Paul and Adam Hayward then that leaves a huge void in that area. Ross is a favorite of mine as well but he has 5 WRs ahead of him right now. I think Plummer can make the PS without being taken. He was an undrafted free agent rookie and typically those guys are not plucked form PS by other teams.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:53 PM

@Redskinsname. Yes, thank you. Someone else sees that. They need Spencer’s build on special teams. There’s more to special teams than the return man, and everyone is expecting Crowder to be the return guy anyway. Spencer adds a demension to special teams that Ross doesn’t. It sucks and it would be great if they could both make it, but we’re too deep at WR to keep a guy like Ross right now.

16. Darren - Aug 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Ross stays, Spencer goes

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM

I think this is possible and would be even more so if we didn’t have depth a WR already.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:15 PM

I also meant to add the team seriously needs coverage guys on SP and Spencer fits that bill not Ross. Especially after losing Pauls and Hayward.

17. gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Scheffter and other reporter(s) at ESPN are reporting that the Skins front office and coaching staff wish to part ways with Griffin immediately. They’ve inquired about trading him but can’t find a trading partner that is interested given the risk of the exercised option. However. the only reason Griffin hasn’t been released yet is because Snyder is overruling them.

For God’s sake this owner with zero football background will never change.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:41 PM

This is coming from the ESPN soap opera machine. The same machine that confirmed Cousins gets the week one start while Gruden made no such confirmation. Maybe it’s true however it’s a bit presumptuous at this point to treat this story as fact.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Look, I don’t have data on how often their reports are right or wrong, but Adam Schefter and Dianne Russini seem to be right a heck of lot more frequently than not. Russini in fact broke the story before anyone else on Friday night that Griffin was in fact not cleared to play Saturday night.

Personally, I don’t have a dog in this fight (tip to Michael Vick). I don’t care who the QB is or what the final roster ends up being. But, if Snyder is overruling McCloughan, the first real personnel man this organization has had in decades, the loyal fans of this joke of a franchise are screwed forever.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Agree 100% if Dan over rules Scot and he walks this organization is grave !

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:15 PM

You may not have a dog in this fight, but Schefty does. So, I say the story likely has some truth but not necessarily the right spin. Schefter, er Shanahan, would like nothing more than to make this a Griffin Snyder thing. Dan hasn’t run this stock to zero yet and forcing a quick sell with no return might not sit as well with him as much or moreso than parting with Griffin – especially if it was one of the caveats for getting the job. As much as everyone assumes that Gruden excepted the coaching job under the pretenses of making Robert a pocket passer, maybe McC had a similar condition.

As for Russini, I wonder who she is close with in the organization, She gets the inside scoop. Griffin’s family? A male employee that likes her legs? Hell if I know.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I don’t think anyone would disagree that Dan should not be part of the personnel decision process that includes RG3. He probably already sealed RG3’s fate when he hired Gruden as coach IMO. However, I don’t think highly of the use of “sources”. While discussing trade options is something I understand that could easily leak out to the media; Allowing information to leak to a “source” about ownership resistance on a trade seems more like fluff than fact.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM

shanny ruined the kid not gruden !

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:39 PM

@Gas: There’s plenty of blame to go around for RG3’s demise. I personally put a lot of it on Snyder. That RG3 ego everyone talks about, Snyder was instrumental in its creation.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM

I don’t know what’s worst; scraping dog manure from my shoes or getting a response from you Gas.

• voice4thefans - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:23 PM

I agree 100%

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:44 PM

here…….. don’t step in it then!

18. gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Dan let the football minds run the team for once …what a jack_ss!

19. goback2rfk - Aug 30, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Maybe we can get RG3 on the practice squad

20. kenlinkins - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Up until two weeks ago we Redskins fans were very happy not have any real QB drama in 2015. The new GM came to town and the noise stop dead in its tracks. RG3 was the starting QB and had a $16 million option for next year in his back pocket, end of story. Guess it was too good to be true as now there are all kinds of rumors hitting the web about RG3 and the Redskins parting ways and no one from Redskins Park or the RG3 camp saying other wise yet. It seems even Rich is setting the stage for something to happen by finial cuts. I stated back in March that the 2015 preseason would be very interesting and so far it has been. I do not know if RG3 will be with the team or not on Sept 6th, but I do know that if the Redskins do move forward without him this web site will hit a new record on the number of comments. I just hope we Redskins fans on this web site can keep the same level of friendly debate we have had in the past (as I have already seen a few sites that have already blown out with some pretty vile statements). HTTR!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:27 PM

It’s hard to imagine a slip on a concussion clearance, started all this. I’m not sure if any of this is related but the QB situations snowballed downhill right after.

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Good point.

The team, in my opinion, should be all about McCloughan moving forward. His track record, although imperfect, is exceptional. As long as he’s fully empowered to hire, fire, draft, sign and release the people he wants and build the culture he desires, I’m fine with the state of the franchise even if the team wins less than five games over the next few years.

HTTR

21. voice4thefans - Aug 30, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Perry Riley Jr is a out right Bum

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:39 PM

I will go along with whichever way McCloughan decide se to goes with this, always have always will (unless & until he proves unworthy of that trust)

Just speculation here, but if Scot has decided for Griffin’s ouster at this point in time then imho Griffin will be gone as soon as he’s cleared by the neurologist.

Otherwise, the fact that he hasn’t already done so leads me to wonder if McC might be equivocating on the matter, balanced somewhere between a crazy owner and an ineffectual coach (who might be shown the door after this season anyway, in favor of Scot’s own man).

I just hope (as well as think) that the final decision should McCloughan’s and McCloughan’s alone, after plenty of consultation. (If it isn’t, he should man up and hand in his papers. Easy for ME to say, tho!) But you know that if Griffin IS still in the QB mix once the season starts, there are gonna be a lot of skeptics who will scream that it wasn’t!

22. bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Keim lays out the four scenarios for moving forward with/without Griffin. It’s a worthwhile read. The thing that upsets me the most about this whole thing is the leaks. So we tried to trade Griffin and no takers. Who the bleep is sharing this stuff?

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Typical PR CYA. Releasing Griffin will be the biggest news in American sports by far when or if it happens. So, the front office leaks to friends in the media to get in front of the story a little. This organization is a complete CF, but in this case it’s probably smart to leak that they tried hard to make a deal but could find no trading partner. To a degree, it confirms their assessment. There’s no trade market for Griffin.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Very possible but does it really matter to give the perception you tried to trade a guy for say a 5th round pick at best for a QB that cost you 2 1st and a 2nd rounder?

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Haha! The leaks ARE wicked, are they not, navy!!

Wonder exactly where they’re coming from. Why would McCloughan have to leak anything? He’s holding the cards. What would it serve him to leak anything? It would not change Snyders mind — assuming Danny’s the one who’s “dug in”

Gruden, greasing the skids and making it hard to keep Griffin around, just to avoid another public $h!storm. And if it is Jay, what if he doesn’t get his way? Does he walk away (with his boy OC) with two weeks to go till opening day?!

Who’d coach the team then? Can anybody say Redskin Head Coach Bill Callahan??

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM

(Yikes my iPads acting crazy — posting comments before I even finish! LOL! Lemme try to do so;)

I was trying to speculate if Jay was behind the leaks. As I said above, just the threat of another huge media fiasco, as well as the possibility of a defection of Jay and some coaches would be hard to overcome.

And just to reiterate, if SCOT is leaking all this — cuz he feels it’s the only way for Snyder to agree — then, imho, he better get the heck outta Dodge while he can… because it’s probably gonna get WAY worse, and NEVER get better!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:54 AM

I’m never sure what to think when it comes to media leaks on RG3. There is such a chasm between RG3 supporter and detractors and the media can’t give enough of it. As soon as they sniff any rumor on this kid, it’ll go public.

Is it possible Gruden is having someone leak this stuff?
          Only if it is not true! Because if it is true there’d only be a few in a small circle to point to that an owner is making things difficult for the team to trade RG3.

As much as I’m not happy about Gruden as coach, I don’t think he’d stoop to such a level. I think all of this is just poor hasty reporting.

• bangkokben - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Not now, for sure. After week one, how may QB injuries are there and then is there any interest? Also, he counts $6.7M against the cap whether we cut him or keep him. So cutting him would be huge egg on the face. Don’t see how leaking this is helping the FO.

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2015 at 9:27 PM

That’s unless the front office is not leaking it, navy.

Howzbout if it’s coming from the “coaches” office, as an attempt to get Scot to know they mean business and want Griffin out. Desperate maybe, but could be effective. (If it doesn’t blow up their faces.) Ya gotta wonder if they haven’t used leaks in the past to advance their cause.

Tell ya what tho, if these leaks ARE coming from Scot, as the only way to get Snyder to agree to move on without Griffin, then the Skins gotta MUCH bigger problem than a mere “Guden insurgency”!! Gru’s easily replaceable (Callahan?). The loss of McCloughan would collapse this whole flimsy house of cards.

Haha! From which other team can you get all this sturm & drang! Wanna place a bet on what’s gonna lead the NFL Net tomorrow morning?

What? It ALREADY IS?! Gotta laugh!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM

That’s a tough one with trade talks. You develop a ‘grape vine’ for rumors from team-to-team with these talks. It’s difficult isolate such a leak but if ESPN wants they have the money and resources to find one

23. timwillhidetimwillhide - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:12 PM

If anything you would think RG3 would want out because olathe way he has bin treated by the media, coach, and some of the Moronic fans that can’t tell there is a drop off in talent when your playing backups. He’ll some of them couldn’t tell that the Ravens took their starters out after the lucky TD.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Yeah and wouldn’t you want out as well? I would

• brucefan1 - Aug 30, 2015 at 9:43 PM

If the Skins DO cut Griffin loose, can’t ya just see Chip Kelly scooping him up — and saying “Thank you very much, Redskins! I KNEW it’d be just a matter of time till you effed this whole situation up!”

Griffin seems to be just the kinda guy that Kelly wants to run his offense, especially if he can’t have Mariotta. Didja see how Chip’s got Sam Bradford trying to run read-options! BRADFORD, who’s even way more brittle than Griffin! Haha (Hellk, he’ll even try TEBOW, in an effort to get this kinda QB! LOL)

No … I don’t think there’ll be any trades by Chip, either. Why would he need to? IMHO, if Mac sends RG packing, Chip will just scoop him off the Skins’ scrap heap, and coach him up — “Kelly-style”.

The rest of the NFL will say he’s crazy, but most of us know what uncanny creature Chip Kelly’s “crazy like”!

• Trey Gregory - Aug 30, 2015 at 10:03 PM

@Brucefan: that’s exactly what I’ve been thinking for months man. I’ll bet Chip Kelly could win some games with RG3, no problem. RG3 thrived in the college environment and type of system Kelly is doing in Philly. But I only see that happening now if Bradford goes down or somehow doesn’t work out. Which means Chip wouldn’t make a move until 2016.

I can’t see anybody giving us anything for RG3, especially not with him making 16 mil next year. Why do it if you can get him as a free agent in a few months? But I could also see Jerry Jones wanting to have RG3 backup Romo for a year or two then be the heir apparent. That could even be exactly what RG3 needs. RG3 would probably love to return to Texas too. Houston also seems like a team that might kick the tires on him. As well as Buffalo or the Jets.

It just kind of sucks that two of the more likely places I could see him going are in the NFC East. Worst case scenario seems that we would let him go, he stays in the division, and has a resurgence and becomes a pain in our ass.

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:58 AM

That’s a likely stop since Chip is a fringe coach. He’d drum up a offense in no time to fit RG3s abilities. However Bradford was perfect in his last game and I mean perfect!

How ironic would it be though if the Rams scooped him up and made something of him the Redskins could not?

• gonavybeatarmy - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:32 PM

I want out as a multi-generation fan and season ticket-holder. But just can’t do it. I feel worse for my kids and their generation. At least I can recall when the organization was once great.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:38 PM

I hear that ….. I feel for the young people who went out and bought season tickets after the 2012 season they got it handed to them!

24. gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 8:51 PM

What team is really gonna trade for Robert with that contract ….only Dan & Vinny would do such a thing!!

25. kenlinkins - Aug 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Quick question: If you were RG3, what would you be doing right now? How would you handle it?

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM

After all this i am sure he would want out and try an start over with another team.

• Trey Gregory - Aug 31, 2015 at 12:11 AM

I wouldn’t be able to get out of town fast enough. I would call Jerry Jones, go back to Texas (just a hour and a half from Waco where he’s basically a Demi God), and enjoy honing my craft while I backup Romo for his last couple years in the league. Get healthy and better then come back with a fury and be a pain in Redskin’s fans asses all over again. Seriously, that’s what I would do.

• bangkokben - Aug 31, 2015 at 8:52 AM

I’ve thought the same thing and I think that is Snyder’s worst fear. I’m sure Snyder is behind a trade but doesn’t want to release him for something like this to happen.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Ken the bigger issue for me is the other players, I bet the majority can’t wait for this to be over and start the football season without all the drama surrounding their team.

• TheHogs - Aug 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM

The drama only ceases if the Redskins win, which they have not done when Griffin doesn’t play.

Or for the majority of 20+ years.

• gasngo14 - Aug 30, 2015 at 11:23 PM

hogs looks like he is gone!

26. brucefan1 - Aug 31, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Not according to Mike Forio at PFT.

His sources say there is no rift between Snyder & McCloughan, and that they are both on the same page. Whether or not Gruden is also is not clear.

Florio’s sources say that a long meeting between Danny & Scot was NOT to discuss Griffin’s future, but hwo that “concussion” snafu occurred.

Someone claimed that ESPN was guilty of”spaghetti journalism; throw a bunch of shitf against a wall and see how much sticks! Gotta laugh!

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:10 AM

We’ll see what the truth is once Gruden speaks today. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the ESPN garbage heap was piling it on last night.

As bad as Snyder has been in the past he is a easy target for fluff reporting and many fans across football just eat that fodder up.
      “That discrepancy fueled the latest spike in perceived dysfunction, but it’s not yet gotten to the point where the guy whose primary job is to sign the checks is getting in the way of the people whose primary jobs are to run the football team.”

• gasngo14 - Aug 31, 2015 at 7:11 AM

I’ll say this… Dianna Ruccini is seldom wrong when it comes to the Skins…

• redskinsnameisheretostay - Aug 31, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Really? She is already wrong about announcing a starter for week one which Gruden denied as true.

27. e1ghty8 - Aug 31, 2015 at 10:51 AM

@Rich I think you might be mistaken about one thing. I think Rashad Ross makes it in, & Evan Spencer goes bye bye.

• Rich Tandler - Aug 31, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Special teams will keep Spencer on the team.